The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dre3000 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
From the language of the contract I would bet TJ Buchanan becomes DBO and Jerrell Coleman becomes Director of Player Personnel. Marshall was at the press conference so looks as if he's staying as Director of Basketball Performance.

Assuming Van Macon comes on board that just leaves one assistant position. As others have said we'll see if Cox decides to allocate more money for assistants, IMO all 3 be over 150k with the highest at 200k.
Ty will be below 150k definitely. Somewhere around 100k.
If they brought in Giannini (former LaSalle HC) for Xs and Os, he could take less be ause he is still being paid by LaSalle. It wiukd be a solution for a couple of years.
Based on what exactly? He already was at $115,000 and will probably be moving up to the second assistant spot. Whether people realize it or not, he's a coveted recruiter. I'm willing to bet he'll be closer to 150k than 100.
I am willing to bet you a beer that he will not move to the 2nd assistant and another beer he will not have a salary of $150,000 or higher (if we can verify it).
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhody83 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Ty will be below 150k definitely. Somewhere around 100k.
If they brought in Giannini (former LaSalle HC) for Xs and Os, he could take less be ause he is still being paid by LaSalle. It wiukd be a solution for a couple of years.
Based on what exactly? He already was at $115,000 and will probably be moving up to the second assistant spot. Whether people realize it or not, he's a coveted recruiter. I'm willing to bet he'll be closer to 150k than 100.
I am willing to bet you a beer that he will not move to the 2nd assistant and another beer he will not have a salary of $150,000 or higher (if we can verify it).
Just realized, my post was supposed to read "IMO all 3 SHOULD be over 150."

And you may be right about Boswell not being second assistant at 150 but I guarantee you he'll be closer to 150 than 100. As I see it Macon doesn't leave St Louis to come here for anything less than the top assistant spot. Then if the rumors of TJ Sorrentine being considered are true, I'd imagine Boswell would be above him based on the 2 recruits Boswell has brought to URI (yes I'm counting Jared) and him going into his third year here.

We will see sooner than later!
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Rhody83 wrote:One thing I missed in my info dump yesterday from the press conference/interviews.

Coach Cox said yesterday that during the 10 days he was running the program (before his interview) that he visited with each of the recruits. I don’t know if he meant in person (that is how I took it) or visited with as in had a discussion. He told each of them that he was a finalist for the job and hoped he would get it. That nothing regarding the team and program had changed (obviously outside Hurley leaving). That was a great move and commitment by him if he physically visited with each recruit including Brendan.
You took it correctly, they traveled to see all families. Best move they could’ve done!
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

How many positions does the 425K staff salary pool pertain to? It seems some are just assuming it covers the three "coach" positions. Are the directors, coordinators, and Athletic trainer not part of this pool? The list below from the gorhody site lists the following ten staff positions linked to URI men's hoops. Some positions at the college level, such as those relating to trainers and performance are sometimes department positions which may cover multiple sports throughout the season. Are all these ten positions 100% full-time dedicated to the men's basketball program and how do they fit in with the 425K salary pool?

2017-18 Staff
Head Coach: Dan Hurley
Associate Head Coach: David Cox
Assistant Coach: Tyron Boswell
Assistant Coach: Tom Moore
Director of Basketball Operations: Eric Youncofski
Director of Player Development: T.J. Buchanan
Video Coordinator: Tripp Doherty
Assistant Director of Operations: Jerrell Coleman
Director of Basketball Performance: Daniel Marshall
Athletic Trainer: Daniel Anthony
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

RF1 wrote:How many positions does the 425K staff salary pool pertain to? It seems some are just assuming it covers the three "coach" positions. Are the directors, coordinators, and Athletic trainer not part of this pool? The list below from the gorhody site lists the following ten staff positions linked to URI men's hoops. Some positions at the college level, such as those relating to trainers and performance are sometimes department positions which may cover multiple sports throughout the season. Are all these ten positions 100% full-time dedicated to the men's basketball program and how do they fit in with the 425K salary pool?

2017-18 Staff
Head Coach: Dan Hurley
Associate Head Coach: David Cox
Assistant Coach: Tyron Boswell
Assistant Coach: Tom Moore
Director of Basketball Operations: Eric Youncofski
Director of Player Development: T.J. Buchanan
Video Coordinator: Tripp Doherty
Assistant Director of Operations: Jerrell Coleman
Director of Basketball Performance: Daniel Marshall
Athletic Trainer: Daniel Anthony
According to the contract the 425k is specifically for the 3 assistants. There is a separate specific mention of the Director of Basketball Operations' salary ($46,500), as well as the Director of Player Development ($38,000). It also mentions he'll get a graduate assistant, no mention of a video coordinator.

Considering they work with other sports, I doubt Anthony or Marshall get paid by the men's basketball salary pool.

The contract can be found in this article:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... --contract
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Thanks got it (and saved it for future reference). This is that section directly copied from the contract:

Support Staff:
The Coach shall have the right to select and retain three (3) assistant men's basketball coaches who shall be paid on the bi-weekly payroll subject to the same payroll deductions and the same benefits that apply to the University's non-academic administrative employees. A pool of $425,000.00 (Four Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand and no/100 Dollars) (the "Salary Pool") will be used for the salaries of the assistant coaches. The Coach shall also have the right to select and retain a director of basketball operations with an annual salary up to $46,500.00 (Forty-Six Thousand Five Hundred and no/100 Dollars) subject to the approval of the Director of Athletics (not to be unreasonably withheld) and in accordance with the personnel policies of the University. The Coach shall also have the right to select and retain a Director of Player Personnel with an annual salary up to $38,000.00 (Thirty-Eight Thousand and no/100 Dollars) subject to the approval of the Director of Athletics (not to be unreasonably withheld) and in accordance with the personnel policies of the University. In addition, Coach shall have the right to select and retain a full time graduate assistant for the men's basketball program in accordance with applicable University policies and collective bargaining agreement. Any increase in income or salary for the assistant coaches, director of basketball operations and director of player personnel shall be subject to University policy, based on merit, and recommended by the Athletic Director in consultation with the Coach and subject to applicable policies of the RI Council on Postsecondary Education.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Interesting clause about URI paying the golf or beach club annual membership fee up to 8k. Explains why Hurley and Skinner belonged to a Narragansett beach club. I don't think either were golfers. Baron on the other hand along with his sons liked to golf and he went with membership at Quidnessett CC.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RF1 wrote:Thanks got it (and saved it for future reference). This is that section directly copied from the contract:

Support Staff:
The Coach shall have the right to select and retain three (3) assistant men's basketball coaches who shall be paid on the bi-weekly payroll subject to the same payroll deductions and the same benefits that apply to the University's non-academic administrative employees. A pool of $425,000.00 (Four Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand and no/100 Dollars) (the "Salary Pool") will be used for the salaries of the assistant coaches. The Coach shall also have the right to select and retain a director of basketball operations with an annual salary up to $46,500.00 (Forty-Six Thousand Five Hundred and no/100 Dollars) subject to the approval of the Director of Athletics (not to be unreasonably withheld) and in accordance with the personnel policies of the University. The Coach shall also have the right to select and retain a Director of Player Personnel with an annual salary up to $38,000.00 (Thirty-Eight Thousand and no/100 Dollars) subject to the approval of the Director of Athletics (not to be unreasonably withheld) and in accordance with the personnel policies of the University. In addition, Coach shall have the right to select and retain a full time graduate assistant for the men's basketball program in accordance with applicable University policies and collective bargaining agreement. Any increase in income or salary for the assistant coaches, director of basketball operations and director of player personnel shall be subject to University policy, based on merit, and recommended by the Athletic Director in consultation with the Coach and subject to applicable policies of the RI Council on Postsecondary Education.
I read this as the $425k is the floor amount they have for assistants, Coach would need approval for any number above $425k. I don’t think if we want an assistant and it runs the numbers up to $475k that Thor would be that short-sided to deny it.
4 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We could definitely use a bigs coach to help develop the Mikes, CL,Dana, and Harris.
Cl & Harris could be brutal on the glass and if
We go big with Martin or Dana at the 3 there could be a lot of second chance buckets!
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

For the folks nervous about Fatts...

2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Was never a doubt in my mind.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

So there were concerns....

No more, now we roll.

Turn Fatts loose!!!! Let’s Go Rhody!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Crazy how much attention has been paid to him since the start of last season. I remember Andy Katz interviewing him and trying to get Fatts to go along with the narrative that if he was taller he would be at a more prestigious place. Now its like KB had to be on Fatts watch to see if he transfers.

I think he is good. But he shot 29% from three. And he shot a ton of them.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Did you miss when he willed us to victory over PC? Or how about the other half dozen games where his energy and production was the difference maker. He was a streaky shooter as a FR, which happens to the best of em, but if you don't see the potential he has that's too bad. He is a highly marketable, high impact talent and I am really happy I will be able to watch him for 3 more years.
11 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From contract
Any increase in income or salary for the assistant coaches, director of basketball operations and director of player personnel shall be subject to University policy, based on merit, and recommended by the Athletic Director in consultation with the Coach and subject to applicable policies of the RI Council on Postsecondary Education.

This is referring to annual pay increases over the 5 years. Hence the wording “based on merit”.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As usual that guy from New York is right on with his comment which I agree with 110%. Seawright is more than a little overboard with his expectations and criticism.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yeah, I'm sorry, but Fatts is a straight game changer, it doesn't matter what his numbers were as a freshman, look at the freshman years of other Rhody greats. Fatts truly looks like he could become as good as Wheeler or better. As BAR said he's already been key in several victories and guess what that was on a team with 4 senior stud guards. Sophomore, Fatts Russell and Junior, Jeff Dowtin may honestly be one of the best back courts in the country next season.
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Running Ram wrote:BAR said he's already been key in several victories and guess what that was on a team with 4 senior stud guards.
Not just any victories either. The biggest ones of the year.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Fatts is a game changer on both O and D. Please don’t measure him on his three point percentage. He changes the tempo of the game with his explosiveness. He was held back this year because DH had to respect the senior guards, and give them minutes. Next year Jeff and Fatts will play a lot of minutes. Fatts will be a stud!
Last edited by Matunuck 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

He is also my favorite ball distributor on the team. Great court vision.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

TruePoint wrote:He is also my favorite ball distributor on the team. Great court vision.
His attitude is infectious. The guys is all heart. We’ll have the best backcourt in the A10 next year.

GO RHODY!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

So I am pretty excited about the David Cox Era.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Unleash Fatts next year

Wouldn't be a stretch to see him avg 18 next year ??
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote:Unleash Fatts next year

I'd say (hope) more like 25....
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Only three players in the entire country averaged 25 this past season, led by Trae Young's 27.4. Maybe dial that back a bit.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'd rather have a top three like: 15.7, 14.2, 12.9, and then a lot of scoring off the bench.

Hopefully we have a few guys who can put da ball in da basket. Still hoping for the Mosely trade er transfer
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

I'm kind of thinking
Fatts - 16.0
Dowtin 14.0
Harris 11.0 , 8.0 reb
Cyril 10.0 , 10.0 reb

Wild Cards- CT, Tate, Martin and a player to be named later (Transfer)

Scoring ave 71.0 ppg
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Coach Hurley said he would be leading scorer in the A-10. Hurley also said he was the second best freshman guard after Trae Young. Fatts told him he was wrong. :lol:
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Fatts points per 40 minutes was 15.6, per GoRhody, so I think 16 PPG is a pretty good line to set for him for 2018-19. Defenses are going to key in on him a bit more, but there's also less competition for shots and minutes with the graduation of Terrell, Matthews and Robinson.

As far as his shooting goes, 29 percent from 3 isn't great, but it's also not so awful you can't project improvement. If he had made one more of them, he would have been at 30 percent, and I imagine just having that as a round number wouldn't be as concerning, kind of like when a baseball player hits .300 instead of .299. He's a good FT shooter, which normally correlates to a decent 3-point shot, after all. FWIW, Terrell started at 31.9 percent and finished at 41.4. (The counterpoint would be that Matthews started at 34.8, and then hovered between 32 and 34 percent the rest of his time here, so it's not a given that he'll improve, obviously.)
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Who was the last frontcourt player we had that averaged a double-double?

It's kind of a difficult stat to maintain for an entire season.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:Did you miss when he willed us to victory over PC? Or how about the other half dozen games where his energy and production was the difference maker. He was a streaky shooter as a FR, which happens to the best of em, but if you don't see the potential he has that's too bad. He is a highly marketable, high impact talent and I am really happy I will be able to watch him for 3 more years.
Yea guy. Got it. I think it is obvious he is good.

I was talking about the fact Katz brought up other schools to him 3 weeks into the season. And now there was speculation that he was leaving.

Basically Andy Katz asked him how he could leave Philly for URI and if his lack of height played any factor in him not having opportunities there.

Conversely, EC Matthews who was A10 Freshman of the year, was not asked all season about other schools and then released some post that he was staying.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Will Daniels, Outerbridge and Seawright all average double-figure for points and close to 8 rebounds per game. Best three big men I can remember, in the past 15 years.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

jcru wrote:Who was the last frontcourt player we had that averaged a double-double?

Was it Roland Houston?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Did you miss when he willed us to victory over PC? Or how about the other half dozen games where his energy and production was the difference maker. He was a streaky shooter as a FR, which happens to the best of em, but if you don't see the potential he has that's too bad. He is a highly marketable, high impact talent and I am really happy I will be able to watch him for 3 more years.

I was talking about the fact Katz brought up other schools to him 3 weeks into the season. And now there was speculation that he was leaving.

Basically Andy Katz asked him how he could leave Philly for URI and if his lack of height played any factor in him not having opportunities there.

Conversely, EC Matthews who was A10 Freshman of the year, was not asked all season about other schools and then released some post that he was staying.
Do you think maybe the head coach leaving had more to do with the Fatts stuff then a 2 minutes interview with Katz like 4 months ago or whatever? The coach not leaving also had a lot to do with EC not needing to announce he was staying after his freshman year.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
jcru wrote:Who was the last frontcourt player we had that averaged a double-double?

Was it Roland Houston?
Maybe. I was hoping it was someone more recent, but you could be right. I think a couple of people came close, like ARD, but didn't quite crack the 10 rpg mark for the season avg.

edit
Rhodymob05 wrote:Will Daniels, Outerbridge and Seawright all average double-figure for points and close to 8 rebounds per game. Best three big men I can remember, in the past 15 years.
That's where I was going with that, thanks. I think someone, maybe ARD, was 9.8 rpg close to the end of the season in 98, but didn't quite crack a double-double avg.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Will Daniels, Outerbridge and Seawright all average double-figure for points and close to 8 rebounds per game. Best three big men I can remember, in the past 15 years.
I take Delroy over Orion and Kahiem.

senior year only, I take Delroy over Daniels.

Delroy: 17.9 pts, 7.9 reb, 2.7 ast, 1.1 blk, 1.6 stl
Daniels: 18.6 pts, 6.5 reb, 1.1 ast, 0.6 blk, 0.8 stl
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I didn't include Delroy since his time in the paint was limited due to his style of play.
0 x
GO RAMS
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I didn't include Delroy since his time in the paint was limited due to his style of play.
doesn't mean he isnt a big man.

Also he and Daniels played the same style. Rarely did Will post up. He got the ball up high or at the elbows. He also shot from all distances.

Over his career he shot 3.2 3s per game, Delroy shot 2.6. As upperclasmen its 3.7 and 3,8 vs 4.0 and 3.7

looking at the ratio for their careers its

6.9 spg from 2, 3.2 spg from 3 for Daniels
7.1 spg from 2, 2.6 spg from 3 for Delroy

Point being they were both stretch bigs that played beyond the arc as well as down low, and created off the dribble.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Rhode Island Red - spot on

Roland Houston 1981-82 12.9 PPG 10.0 RPG was the Last
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Kenny Green, 1990....17.5 pts., 10.9 reb.
4 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

I stand corrected and Defer to Billyboy78
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Only three players in the entire country averaged 25 this past season, led by Trae Young's 27.4. Maybe dial that back a bit.
HA! Misread...I was thinking minutes per game, not ppg..... :oops:
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:

EC avg 32.5 mins/game his Fr year and Fatts avg 18 mins. EC played on a team that was 14-18 compared to Fatts on a top 25 team with 5 Seniors.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:Do you think maybe the head coach leaving had more to do with the Fatts stuff than a 2 minutes interview with Katz like 4 months ago or whatever? The coach not leaving also had a lot to do with EC not needing to announce he was staying after his freshman year.
hey now, don't use common sense, the age of common sense is over.
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
HA! Misread...I was thinking minutes per game, not ppg..... :oops:
Ahh, that makes sense. Totally agree, would love to see him at at least 25 mpg.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

should be more like 30-32 mpg i'm guessing, unless we land another point able guard Fatts and Dowtin should be on the court when the other is not and I am hoping they can be on court together for at least 25 mpg.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

How great is our backcourt going to be next year?! Can't wait to see the Fatts and Jeff Show!
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Fun fact - Only 23 players in D-I basketball averaged 10 rebounds a game in 2017-18. It's really tough to do in college, because the games are shorter, obviously. Only 17 guys did it the year before.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Over the last 13 games when Cyril seemed to get healthier
he averaged 6.8 rebounds per game @ 21 min per game.
That's 13.1 rb/40 min

if he can stay on the court for 25-30 mins per game and
stay healthy he can average 10 rpg but probably more realistic
to be around 8-9

It's all going to depend on foul trouble and health.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

CHICO 78 wrote:Over the last 13 games when Cyril seemed to get healthier
he averaged 6.8 rebounds per game @ 21 min per game.
That's 13.1 rb/40 min

if he can stay on the court for 25-30 mins per game and
stay healthy he can average 10 rpg but probably more realistic
to be around 8-9

It's all going to depend on foul trouble and health.
...and level of competition?
0 x