The Transfer Carousel - 2018

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2018

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm all for second and third chances and benefits of doubt and so forth, just a question, based on the fact that he only played 10 games was wondering if he was suspended for the rest of his season at some point, one would think something significant happened if that's the case. No judgement really, I made some really poor choices in my late teens/early 20's. Everybody does. Just want to keep the ball rolling in all ways, ie we want to keep getting kids with good heads on their shoulders.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:So he hasn’t played in two years and is coming from a lower league with lesser competition?
huzzah?
Your transformation from the most optimistic poster to the most sarcastic has been fun to watch haha
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Wake Forest and the Bonnies may have been recruiting him longer.......will be tough to get him here but not impossible....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

So once again, as it was with Dan - I think Cox has more than proven he has an eye for talent.

If he wants him so do I.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhodymob05 wrote:So he hasn’t played in two years and is coming from a lower league with lesser competition?
worked out fine for Bonaventure with Courtney Stockard...

grabbed him from a CC and he missed 2 full seasons breaking the same foot 2x.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

I hope he can play well for us obviously, but I wish we could set our sites a bit higher. The past two seasons obviously raised the bar, in ALL aspects. Give me that Stan the Man Indiana type tranfser again.
0 x
GO RAMS
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Imo, Cheddi is exactly what we need to fill out this roster. As long as he still has his shot, that would be a good fit.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote:

I hope he can play well for us obviously, but I wish we could set our sites a bit higher. The past two seasons obviously raised the bar, in ALL aspects. Give me that Stan the Man Indiana type tranfser again.
I think we are talking about two different things here. Cheddi would be a grad transfer that can play right away. I would not be surprised if we took a grad transfer and a traditional transfer like Stan that has a high ceiling but has to sit out a year. The grad transfer market typically has a slightly different type of player and a little bit more competition because you don't need to eat up a scholarship during a non-playing year.

I actually think Cheddi would be exactly the type of player we'd hope to get as a grad transfer. I think he would play meaningful minutes for us next year and check a number of boxes that we are looking to check for next year's roster.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:

I think we are talking about two different things here. Cheddi would be a grad transfer that can play right away. I would not be surprised if we took a grad transfer and a traditional transfer like Stan that has a high ceiling but has to sit out a year. The grad transfer market typically has a slightly different type of player and a little bit more competition because you don't need to eat up a scholarship during a non-playing year.

I actually think Cheddi would be exactly the type of player we'd hope to get as a grad transfer. I think he would play meaningful minutes for us next year and check a number of boxes that we are looking to check for next year's roster.
I see the difference now, fair enough. I trust Cox so ultimately this is good.
0 x
GO RAMS
Keaney_Blue
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Keaney_Blue »

PeterRamTime wrote:

Looks like hed be a good shooter with experienceoff the bench!
Smooth!
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

End of college sports if they do this. Complete chaos. Every player in the country will essentially be a free agent every year. You will have teams with 13 different players every season. The disparity between the top 5-6 programs in the country and everyone else will be exacerbated to the point of absurdity.

The NCAA gets criticized for being unfair to student athletes, and because they are too goddamn greedy to just pay them a fair portion of their profits, they are going to do this instead and cannibalize their own sport.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah got to make them sit out a year for sure !!
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

TruePoint wrote:End of college sports if they do this. Complete chaos. Every player in the country will essentially be a free agent every year. You will have teams with 13 different players every season. The disparity between the top 5-6 programs in the country and everyone else will be exacerbated to the point of absurdity.

The NCAA gets criticized for being unfair to student athletes, and because they are too goddamn greedy to just pay them a fair portion of their profits, they are going to do this instead and cannibalize their own sport.
In my opinion the bigger issue is that this will penalize athletes that are enrolled in rigorous majors. Setting a blanket gpa is pretty unfair. All 3.0 GPAs are not created equal. Under this rule the business student with the 2.9 has to sit but the interdisciplinary studies student with a 3.0 can play right away.

In terms of team continuity, I'm not as concerned. Heaven forbid a millionaire coach have to maintain solid relationships with players once they arrive on campus. There's other sports in the NCAA that allow players to transfer without sitting a year and it works for them.
3 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

DRE you beat me................In my major, clinical chemistry, a 3.0 was barely attainable. I think two out of sixteen achieved that.
3 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Saw that Yakwe is leaving St John's.....don't know if he is going pro or looking to transfer.....the Johnnies seem to have high turnover every year....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

CTRamfan wrote:DRE you beat me................In my major, clinical chemistry, a 3.0 was barely attainable. I think two out of sixteen achieved that.
Right maintaining a 3.0 in that Chemical engineering program at URI was a lot more difficult then my friends in communications haha.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

For something like that...need to go out and employ some gamers to figure out what the potential pitfalls would be. Just like major companies will hire hackers, or have contests internally...need to get first hand input about how the system could be exploited, to determine if those risks are either worth it, or can be minimized.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

CTRamfan wrote:DRE you beat me................In my major, clinical chemistry, a 3.0 was barely attainable. I think two out of sixteen achieved that.
if they do tis your going to have teams loaded with nothing but African studies and Communications ect.. majors. Forget graduating anything Stem. Honestly I don't think the NCAA needs major rework just to accomodate an extreme minority that can't follow the rules 99% have no issue with...

People say "Oh Pay the playere!" BUT THESE GUYS ARE NOT BEING FORCED TO GO TO COLLEGE, THEY ALL HAVEA CHOICE TO GO PRO EVEN BEFORE 18 in many cases.. They can do like that Emmanuel guy i think denver drafted 6th or so a few years back? He made a chunck of change in europe and went to the NBA anywayss. Go to the D, err "G" eague ect.. Don't ruin the NCAA for the 0.1% who can't play by the very generous offer and rules 99% are happy to accept.

BTW am i just being paranoid, but what's the status of Fatts Russell? I heard from 2 diff boosters he is the one worry, and then at the press conference if you read behind the lines, he was the only of the returning players who the admin got asked if they were in attendance. Not once for Langevine, or Dowtin, but it got asked but Fatts twice.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Fatts is staying.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Rhody74 wrote:Fatts is staying.

You have any inside info to confirm this?

Or basically is this declaration based on anything more then hope and/or speculation?
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

From Rhody83 on the Cox thread.
Fatts is staying! He was the first player interviewed. Joe from NBC10 asked him. Fatts response can be seen on Joe’s tweet. He explain his like for Dan but said he is in for Rhody. I ran into Fatts and Ty on the concourse afterwards. He is staying.

Cox and Fatts were nexted to each other in an interview and Coach Cox said that they are going to run and that there is no doubt the guy right next to him (Fatts) will be the starting 1 next year.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

URI_05 wrote:From Rhody83 on the Cox thread.
Fatts is staying! He was the first player interviewed. Joe from NBC10 asked him. Fatts response can be seen on Joe’s tweet. He explain his like for Dan but said he is in for Rhody. I ran into Fatts and Ty on the concourse afterwards. He is staying.

Cox and Fatts were nexted to each other in an interview and Coach Cox said that they are going to run and that there is no doubt the guy right next to him (Fatts) will be the starting 1 next year.
I would take this with a grain of salt. These guys are "coached up" on public interactions. What's Fatts supposed to say? "Happy for Cox, but I'm exploring my options."

This isn't to say that he's leaving but I think taking a kid's word based on these type of interactions seems a little shortsighted. There's rumors of concern for a reason. I for one won't be completely at ease with our players and recruits until they're on campus for summer school. But I'm also a pessimist :lol:
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

EGram wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:Fatts is staying.

You have any inside info to confirm this?

Or basically is this declaration based on anything more then hope and/or speculation?
Before you snap back asking for inside information, why not at least read the most recent posts in the Fatts thread or David Cox thread?

The concern (I guess that's a nice way of calling it) about Fatts leaving is what we should require sources to confirm -- not the opposite.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

So many of these grad transfers come from lower d-1 conferences and go to higher level and help the new programs very much
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yep. That is the formula. Hope guys aren’t waiting on a grad transfer from Kentucky.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

PeterRamTime wrote:

You had me at shooter. Looking at the film, he has a balanced, consistent jump shot from from both mid-range and deep. Always shoots it going straight up and down, doesn't look rushed. Good FT % at 77% his soph year, which is a predictive stat for consistent shooting. Wouldn't say he's a Four McGlynn, but looks like he'd be a nice addition to replace a TON of scoring we lost last year. Perhaps in the Garrett role of offense off the bench. I could see nights next year where shots aren't falling for Downtin and/or Fatts and we struggle to score.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Ramrod wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:

You had me at shooter. Looking at the film, he has a balanced, consistent jump shot from from both mid-range and deep. Always shoots it going straight up and down, doesn't look rushed. Good FT % at 77% his soph year, which is a predictive stat for consistent shooting. Wouldn't say he's a Four McGlynn, but looks like he'd be a nice addition to replace a TON of scoring we lost last year. Perhaps in the Garrett role of offense off the bench. I could see nights next year where shots aren't falling for Downtin and/or Fatts and we struggle to score.
It's not really talked about a lot because Fatts has so many plus attributes but 42.2% from two and 29.8% from three is a little worrisome. Over 80% from the line so you would think the others would catch up. Still...a bit of a concern in 2018 basketball. Would be nice to have someone to go to if he struggles.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Only thing I have to say for Fatts right now, is...shoot more, and then keep shooting.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Ramrod wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:

It's not really talked about a lot because Fatts has so many plus attributes but 42.2% from two and 29.8% from three is a little worrisome. Over 80% from the line so you would think the others would catch up. Still...a bit of a concern in 2018 basketball. Would be nice to have someone to go to if he struggles.
Take Fatts any day over MAL
3 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Ramrod wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:

He was a streaky freshman, I attribute a lot of that due to his inconsistent minutes. Often when he would start to get going he'd get pulled due to the rotation. Things will be very different for him next year. I'll be shocked if he averages less than 30mpg.

For the record though Jarvis shot 39% from two and 28% from 3 his freshman year. The following year he shot 42% from 2 and 42% from 3. This was the year before the ulcerative colitis.

The things that standout for me with Russell are: the confidence, the quick release, the ability to get to the rim, the competitive spirit, and again the confidence!

I think he could very well have a Luwane Pipkins-like sophomore season.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

How about his play in big games. PC and Oklahoma come to mind.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts will see a big jump in his ppg need him to be more consistent on his layups seemed like he was missing more of them later in the season
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

As Al McGuire used to say, the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Transfer from Delaware. Will sit out a year and play two remaining years at SJU

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Transfer from Wagner.

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sign that guy up!
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:End of college sports if they do this. Complete chaos. Every player in the country will essentially be a free agent every year. You will have teams with 13 different players every season. The disparity between the top 5-6 programs in the country and everyone else will be exacerbated to the point of absurdity.

This is exaggerated, of course. There will still be the same number, presumably, schools that play basketball and scholarships per school. All of the players are going to go somewhere. People that are anti-player movement, in any way, are usually just worried about the product and/or their specific team. Make the coaches be better. Make your program more attractive. Giving kids an incentive to get good grades, in any major (yes, some are harder than others) is a good thing. Dan Hurley got up and left an entire roster and recruits behind and is guaranteed, what, $20MM+. Let the kids transfer. First of all, the top 5-6 programs are already getting the best players. Secondly, there is only one ball per game. Only so many "great players" are going to go to Duke. This will be better for players in almost every single way. If your team stinks because of it? Get better.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If they don't care whether anyone watches, they should definitely go ahead with this plan. The sport will likely still exist, but it will have a serious long-term impact on fan engagement. If this were ONLY about making things perfect for players, I would support this transfer rule, but I am 100% being up front about the fact that my concern here is as a fan and not as a player advocate (Although big picture I think my position is not anti-player.).

I'm fine with this rule in non-revenue sports. But if any part of your sport is predicated on having fan interest, you have to have some way to restrict player movement. Now, I acknowledge that this is not perfectly fair for players, but they are still able to change teams/schools now under the current system with a minor penalty that has been a decently effective deterrent while obviously not fully restricting movement.

In return for having moderate restrictions on movement, the players do get the trade-off where they get to play "big-time" sports with amenities and gear and national TV time that goes with it. But I feel like the best way to make it up to the players is to just let them participate in the revenue sharing and allow them to earn money selling their likeness.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:If they don't care whether anyone watches, they should definitely go ahead with this plan. The sport will likely still exist, but it will have a serious long-term impact on fan engagement. If this were ONLY about making things perfect for players, I would support this transfer rule, but I am 100% being up front about the fact that my concern here is as a fan and not as a player advocate (Although big picture I think my position is not anti-player.).

I'm fine with this rule in non-revenue sports. But if any part of your sport is predicated on having fan interest, you have to have some way to restrict player movement. Now, I acknowledge that this is not perfectly fair for players, but they are still able to change teams/schools now under the current system with a minor penalty that has been a decently effective deterrent while obviously not fully restricting movement.

In return for having moderate restrictions on movement, the players do get the trade-off where they get to play "big-time" sports with amenities and gear and national TV time that goes with it. But I feel like the best way to make it up to the players is to just let them participate in the revenue sharing and allow them to earn money selling their likeness.
They don't "get" to play big time sports. They are high end players in a revenue sport where their demand is high. Take a look at the last ten years of Rivals top 150. The last ten years of the Final Four. It's already the same teams with the off exception. The idea that fans would stop watching is a bogeyman that does not really exist. People thought the grad transfer rule would ruin things. Nah...it just gave some players freedom of movement. I actually think it would even the playing field a bit. The 7th man at Duke might stay there because he doesn't want to sit a year. Maybe he leaves and becomes a starter at URI? Again, the number of teams isn't changing, the quality of player is only improving, and the scholarships are the same. Arguing that it would ruin basketball is ignoring that basic fact.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1. Introducing this rule would kill demand and revenue, if not right away then certainly over the long term. That is why is described it as a trade-off. This current system allows for the existence of "big-time" sports because it creates fan interest.

2. This isn't the same thing as the grad transfer rule. The grad transfer rule, which I am a huge proponent of, has an actual purpose behind it - you shouldn't be forced to go to graduate school at the same place as you went to undergrad. It is a natural time for movement, and it is a good reward for earning a degree. Further, it is a narrow exception that allows for a very small amount of player movement every year.

3. In this proposed system, you'd be introducing full-fledged free agency every offseason. Without any disincentive to transfer, guys would make moves just to incrementally improve their situation - slightly better team, slightly easier path to minutes, etc. Just like every decent player now "tests" the NBA draft, every decent player would go out into the market after every season. There would be a huge trickle-down and domino effect that would mean roster flux well into the summer. You'd have teams with 13 new players every year because they recruiting and/or stole from other teams the best 13 players in the country, and you'd have teams with 13 new players every year because all of their players leave every season. It would be complete and utter chaos.

As a fan, you'd lose several things that are a big part of what makes college sports popular: (1) it would take away rooting for players to develop and get better, because you'd just be developing them for someone else's team, (2) you would have a completely new 13 man roster every single season, so you'd never get to know the players and you certainly wouldn't connect with them as future fellow alumni, (3) it would make following recruiting meaningless (4) it would kill any fantasy of being able catch lightning in a bottle because your roster finally clicked into place with the right mix of vets and stud recruits etc. and so your team is going put together a magical season - that hope will be snuffed out every April when your stud freshman and breakout sophomore and potential all-league senior hit the free agent market and some school with a bigger shoe company slush fund steals them from you. There would literally be no reason to watch college sports anymore except if you're a fan of one of the five or six schools that is loaded with everyone else's best players plus a couple of lottery picks.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I have to agree with TP on this one. This will end up benefiting the P5 schools more than anyone and it will become a complete free for all.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:Yep. That is the formula. Hope guys aren’t waiting on a grad transfer from Kentucky.
Exactly. I mean, Duke is showing interest in a guy from Albany. Most teams below the highest level are mainly looking to fill specific roles.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

This is the second thing that TP and I are lock-step in agreement regarding. (The other was the stupid Barry Switzer comment and how universities would go away if not for their big time athletics program.) Amazing TP...it's like we're brothers from another mother.

Allowing open transferring at will without a sit out year would be awful. How could a coach know what he needs to recruit on a yearly basis? How could a coach know what his roster would be for the following season? It's possible a school wouldn't have enough players on scholarship. The only thing this is good for would be walk-ons.

Think about that for a second. URI loses 4 players to graduation, 4 players decide to transfer out (for whatever reason) and then some recruits back out or don't qualify. Hey, little 5'11" senior forward Tommy at Chariho!! Good luck at the walk-on tryout. Keep your hightops buddy, you're going to be starting at guard for URI next fall. Rhody has a basketball program and they have games on their schedule. Now they just have to have enough kids to fill out the roster. It's your lucky day!
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

limit the destinations. Transfer players can play right away but a team can only take one or two.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I have no problem with the rule if they follow through with the premise of requiring a player to maintain a high level of academic success to qualify. Somewhere between 3.0 - 3.3 would mean players having a B or B+ average. If that is the case, so be it. So determine how bad it would be, you'd have to figure out how many players even qualify for "free" transfer... What percentage of athletes are meeting a 3.3 GPA? 3.2? 3.1? 3.0? There is a pretty big gap between academic eligibility thresholds and these transfer thresholds. A freshman becoming a sophomore only needs to have a 1.8 GPA to be eligible, a sophomore to junior a 1.9 GPA, and anything further a 2.0 GPA.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Part of my problem with this proposal is the perverse incentives that it creates with respect to the athletes' academics. First, you'll have coaches for whom it is not in their best interests for their athletes to do well in class. Second, you'll have advisors and handlers and parents telling kids to major in basket weaving to make sure they stay eligible to transfer, undermining one of the few true benefits that college basketball and football players get in return for the all of the revenue they generate through their free labor.
2 x