The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by RF1 »

5 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

During the introduction speech, Thorr mentioned that he received calls from 25-30 coaches that were interested in the position, and said "People want this job because it is a premier job in this country". Well if that's true, then URI better move forward with the necessary enhancements to prove that we are in fact a premier program.

I have faith that Thorr and Dooley will make the right decisions to keep this program on an upward trajectory. As someone mentioned earlier, just because certain things weren't explicitly stated in Cox's contract doesn't mean they aren't happening.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

To the school's credit, capital projects have been done very well over the past 18 years.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
I also pointed out that Thorr didn't commit to it two weeks ago. Y'all need to pay attention to what's going on
Obviously some if it is going to depend on donors sticking to their commitments and being as committed with Coach Cox as they were with Dan Hurley. But the desire for those things hasn't evaporated. He also explained that the process for the practice facility were already underway. It doesn't make sense to publicly commit to specific expenditures until they are able to button down the financial commitments of the people they're depending on.
There is a large difference between the desire to do it and it happening. We've desired to redo Meade, with an artist's rendering of what it would look like, since at least December of 2001. Desire means nothing, we need action, and there is no guaranteed action. That should be troubling to everyone. What are we doing with the extra revenue?
I feel like I already answered this in the post that you responded to. The desire to do something alone is not enough, but I'm not sure why you are assuming that it is just naked desire without any action plan to match based on it not being in Cox's contract. It is weird to get mad that infrastructure expenditures were not included in the coach's contract. That happened very specifically under Hurley because it was something he required to remain in the job. It isn't a standard item in a coaching contract. If they say, or if it becomes evident, that they plan to just sit on the cash that they earned from their tournament appearances, ticket revenue increases and savings from coaching salaries from Hurley to Cox, then I will be right there with you. But for right now I think you're being upset prematurely.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Great choice with David Cox. A gentleman with great upside.
6 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What you saw in this press conference is the David Cox I saw at several meetings - a man knowledgeable, poised, articulate, and inspirational. I remember one fairly long meeting with Dan Hurley where he was joined by his staff and Cox dominated the meeting with his knowledge and quick grasp and handling of even the most pointed questions from boosters. He has all the ingredients to be a great head coach
13 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

TruePoint wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Obviously some if it is going to depend on donors sticking to their commitments and being as committed with Coach Cox as they were with Dan Hurley. But the desire for those things hasn't evaporated. He also explained that the process for the practice facility were already underway. It doesn't make sense to publicly commit to specific expenditures until they are able to button down the financial commitments of the people they're depending on.
There is a large difference between the desire to do it and it happening. We've desired to redo Meade, with an artist's rendering of what it would look like, since at least December of 2001. Desire means nothing, we need action, and there is no guaranteed action. That should be troubling to everyone. What are we doing with the extra revenue?
I feel like I already answered this in the post that you responded to. The desire to do something alone is not enough, but I'm not sure why you are assuming that it is just naked desire without any action plan to match based on it not being in Cox's contract. It is weird to get mad that infrastructure expenditures were not included in the coach's contract. That happened very specifically under Hurley because it was something he required to remain in the job. It isn't a standard item in a coaching contract. If they say, or if it becomes evident, that they plan to just sit on the cash that they earned from their tournament appearances, ticket revenue increases and savings from coaching salaries from Hurley to Cox, then I will be right there with you. But for right now I think you're being upset prematurely.
Agreed. To assume that no additional program enhancements are on the horizon based on those enhancements not being unequivocally stated in Cox's contract just seems silly to me. The press conference just ended 15 minutes ago. Let's not jump off the bridge quite yet...geez.

PS - Aside from the revenue streams listed above, don't we also receive an additional $1.5M as part of Hurley's buyout?
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I'm pretty excited. Welcome Coach Cox!

I wish the buyout on his contract was more.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

If UConn pays within 90 days a lump sum, $1.2M, otherwise, $300k annually for 5 years.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I wonder who the other head coach was? I presume Joe Dooley and Shrewbury were the other interviewees.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody74 wrote:

I wonder who the other head coach was? I presume Joe Dooley and Shrewbury were the other interviewees.
My guess, based on nothing other than his name was floating around, is Becker.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

URI will receive $1 million from UConn within 90 days of Hurley's signing [3/22] .

But, so what?............Thorr runs the program and I am 100% behind his budgeting choices. The athletic department budget covers 23 sports, I think.
Hurley, pushed and pushed for upgrades. Some ideas were great, others not so. Those were his view. Maybe Cox's needs are different.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Let's at least let this media availability complete and allow the information to be disseminated before worrying and speculating.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My concern is not so much the capital expenditure infrastructure investment for a dedicated practice facility.. That is a very complicated project with many facets requiring millions of dollars. I can understand and live with it not being addressed as part of this hire.

My concern revolves around relatively low cost operating expense related items. Improvements like significant upgrades to staff compensation and commitment to more charters should be easy to make. The lower salary for the head coach alone covers this on its own. That is not even taking into account the fact that annual revenues for the next 5 years will minimally be about 1M more than just two seasons ago.

The staff salary piece is particularly disappointing. Per Bill Koch, Cox will only have 6.25% more to offer than Hurley did this past year. That is nothing. How am I supposed to trust there will be more when year one already looks to be set? Am I to believe that Thorr will do something when someone threatens to leave (look at how that worked with Hurley)? If Cox struggles a bit in his first year (not out of the question with a first year coach of a team that lost five seniors and will play a tough schedule), do you really think he will have leverage to get staff compensation increased in a year? The leverage is now not later. If Thorr learned anything from Dan leaving, it is better to be proactive rather than reactive. Perhaps if URI had been more proactive last year, Hurley would have had less incentive to look for another job. Think back to last year with Bill Koch's words regarding Hurley's last extension and think about how things played out:
  • Notably, there are no specific program enhancements contained in the new pact. An increased number of charter flights, a broader salary pool for basketball staff and renovations to basketball offices and the locker room had been staples of previous Hurley extensions, but URI appears to have reached its limit regarding its basketball budget.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wait for the news of program enhancements. Yikes.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Money should be flowing in now like it hasn't in 20 years.
3 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Cox talked about maybe some more pressing on defense to push the tempo because they want to play more up tempo on offense and get more possessions. I like the sound of that.
7 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Either way, styles offensively and defensively that would allow us to utilize our player talent and get future talent.
1 x
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

adam914 wrote:Cox talked about maybe some more pressing on defense to push the tempo because they want to play more up tempo on offense and get more possessions. I like the sound of that.
For a team that lacks a pure shooting threat, I love his goal of "more possessions."
2 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

You guys can speculate and complain all you want.

I am going to focus on the positive. It appears that we hired a great man for the job. He can recruit, knows the game, works hard, and the kids love him. Let’s celebrate the hire and worry about everything else once we have some facts. Go Rhody! Go Cox!
9 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

“Uptempo style of basketball “

All I was looking for.

Solid presser, interesting comments from Dooley re integrity.....

Go get em Coach Cox!

Rhode Island Basketball - home of the fast break!!

Back in business
6 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Obadiah wrote:What you saw in this press conference is the David Cox I saw at several meetings - a man knowledgeable, poised, articulate, and inspirational. I remember one fairly long meeting with Dan Hurley where he was joined by his staff and Cox dominated the meeting with his knowledge and quick grasp and handling of even the most pointed questions from boosters. He has all the ingredients to be a great head coach
Exactly. My thoughts to a tee
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Wish I was there today, but at least I was able to stream the presser. I'm so excited that it looks like the current roster is intact.

"This is my dream job." LOVE IT! Clearly there is no doubt that he is the right man for this job. Can't wait until the fall!
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I asked Steve McDonald if a Coach’s Show was going to be held, he had no date, but said there was a date TBD for one more in the schedule.....
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote:......I asked Steve McDonald if a Coach’s Show was going to be held, he had no date, but said there was a date TBD for one more in the schedule.....

PERFECT!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Please be on a Tuesday!
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Taylor Swift wrote:Wish I was there today, but at least I was able to stream the presser. I'm so excited that it looks like the current roster is intact.

"This is my dream job." LOVE IT! Clearly there is no doubt that he is the right man for this job. Can't wait until the fall!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Testing out my new signature. Haha
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I love this guy!
2 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Didn't see it live but just finished watching a recap and WOW I am blown away. He is the best man possible for the job and will bring this program further than its ever been. THANK YOU DAVE COX. Can't wait to see what he does with our great group of players.

"THIS IS MY DREAM JOB"
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I wasn't able to watch it live, but did watch the recording on the Facebook link (wpri's facebook page):

I was very impressed with both Cox, as well as Thorr's comments. The fact that Cox went to Thorr saying he wanted to be a head coach some day 2 years ago, and Thorr reacting positive to it, to Cox acting as the head coach before he got the job and doing everything and more. Also impressed if he out competed some of the best basketball minds in the country.

It would be interesting to find out at some point who was interested in the job as well as who the other finalists where. But today is Coach Cox' day and just the fact that this posting got that sort of response is amazing!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote:
It would be interesting to find out at some point who was interested in the job as well as who the other finalists where.
Bill Koch commented on this basically stating that there will likely be no official confirmation of the candidates. Based on what Thorr said, the reported finalists of Becker, Dooley, Cox, and Shrewsberry seem to fit his group description.

Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

While it may be interesting for the fan to hear some names of those interested, what purpose would it serve really?
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I have to say, a big shot out to local sports reporters for giving this program all the attention it deserves, including the coverage on Coach Cox.
5 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

No turning back ...
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Sounds like a typical new coach presser as well as typical reactions from rabid fans. Cox is now in charge of the basketball program - his relationship with players, coaches, management etc will be different. He'll make the decision on who stays, who will play, who he will hire, who he will recruit and the outcome will be based on what people think of him. I'm not sure that he has been given the assets to assure success.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Rhody72, scroll up.
5 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I didn’t see anyone post this yet, here’s a nice piece by Cigar sports with Dave’s parents and wife.

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I watched the presser great stuff. Welcome aboard Coach Cox
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The assistant's pay pool including an excellent salary to Associate coach Cox and also coach Moore......we save those salaries now....I assume we bump up Ty Boswell a bit....and pay the next two coaches....we have to match a coach who is a current assistant somewhere else....and maybe a coach who left another gig but is still getting paid under his old contract.....the compensation of the coaches should be set lower for new guys than for trying to retain excellent coaches already under contract here from leaving....

...I think there will be enough money for assistants.....it will have to grow in the future if the new guys start being wooed by other schools because of their success here in the next couple of years....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Rhody72 wrote:Sounds like a typical new coach presser as well as typical reactions from rabid fans. Cox is now in charge of the basketball program - his relationship with players, coaches, management etc will be different. He'll make the decision on who stays, who will play, who he will hire, who he will recruit and the outcome will be based on what people think of him. I'm not sure that he has been given the assets to assure success.

Some things never change.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

For those just so nervous about Fatts' status following Cox' hire:
Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 4.11.52 PM.png
7 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......that shot makes me very very happy......
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I was at the press conference today. I haven’t read all the post here on the press conference.
I was able to listen to the media interviews that were done after the press conference. This included Coach Cox, Thorr, Fatts, Cyril & Jeff. I will post some points that weren’t part of the formal press conference and that I haven’t seen in post above or detailed above.

Fatts is staying! He was the first player interviewed. Joe from NBC10 asked him. Fatts response can be seen on Joe’s tweet. He explained his like for Dan but said he is in for Rhody. I ran into Fatts and Ty on the concourse afterwards and talked to them fir a few minutes. He is staying.

Cox and Fatts were next to each other in an interview and Coach Cox said that they are going to run and that there is no doubt the guy right next to him (Fatts) will be the starting 1 next year.

Ty was by Fatts side during his interview and throughout the time after the official statements.

Thorr’s response to Bill Koch’s question on spending was fair. He said the commitment is there and he wants to understand Coach Cox’ priorities for the spending. Thorr said the spending wasn’t included in Dan’s contract. Somethings were put in a document afterwards but not all of them. He said it is a trust that he had with Dan and has with Dave.

Jeff and Cyril seem genuinely happy. Jeff was joking around behind the camera when the others were being interviewed.

Thorr was asked if he talked to Dan at all through the process. He did not.

All of the remaining staff was there including TJ.

All of the players from this year’s team were there except EC. Some speculated that EC might have been out of state.
The returning players all sat in the first two rows with the same URI shirts.
The 4 seniors and staff were in the row behind them.

The room was full. Great media coverage.
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Fatts key to the highway and the top 20!
So encouraging to hear that Coach Cox gets it.
My vision will be realized!! Fast break basketball!!!

Turn Fatts loose!

Let’s Go Rhody!!!!!!!
3 x