The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

His mother and the publicity made the recruitment a little strange. Funny they committed in the end to a guy that left the school. After basically looking for the most authentic person.

I think his brother's success obviously impacts his recruitment. These kids should have an idea of what they want in a school. Especially when they are 6 foot A10 level guards. Youre a great basketball player but you aren't Chris Paul. Better to go with you heart and find a place you will enjoy and be proud of the rest of your life. Losing DH shouldn't have changed any of these kids decisions.

I do think DH closed on all of our players. He deserves all the credit in the world for recruiting despite people giving him credit and taking it away whenever it suits them. But I would say the only guy that wouldn't end up at URI without Dan Hurley is Jared Terrell. The rest are guys that have the talent level of players URI has had over 100 years. Their unprecedented success stems from Dan's program and ability to get the most out of them.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:I agree with those who think that Adams wanted out when Hurley left, and was asked to hold off announcing it until a new coach was hired.

He may or may not have another school in mind already. With the spring signing period almost here, we'll find out soon.
To follow up on what Dre said...maybe playing time mattered more to him and he was thinking about his release regardless.

Cox staying meant none of the team was going to transfer - so that’s what sealed it for him.
if playing time is the case, then I'm not shedding any tears over it. Rather have the spot used by someone that looks at competition and says "I'll win" than someone that looks at competition and shys away from it
Yep kinda what I was getting at.

Lotsa A10 schools have offered we might see a lot of this player.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:His mother and the publicity made the recruitment a little strange. Funny they committed in the end to a guy that left the school. After basically looking for the most authentic person.

I think his brother's success obviously impacts his recruitment. These kids should have an idea of what they want in a school. Especially when they are 6 foot A10 level guards. Youre a great basketball player but you aren't Chris Paul. Better to go with you heart and find a place you will enjoy and be proud of the rest of your life. Losing DH shouldn't have changed any of these kids decisions.

I do think DH closed on all of our players. He deserves all the credit in the world for recruiting despite people giving him credit and taking it away whenever it suits them. But I would say the only guy that wouldn't end up at URI without Dan Hurley is Jared Terrell. The rest are guys that have the talent level of players URI has had over 100 years. Their unprecedented success stems from Dan's program and ability to get the most out of them.

There was a similar situation with Brendan's older brother Jaylen Adams. He initially committed to Jacksonville. When the contract of the Dolphins coach Cliff Warren was not extended, Adams asked for his release and later committed to St. Bonaventure. History is repeating itself.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Anyone know where we can watch the press conference at 11?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

My guess is one of the local outlets will stream on their website. Just keep your eye out for it.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Is the press conference open to the general public???
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PeterRamTime wrote:Anyone know where we can watch the press conference at 11?
Is tomorrow, though.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Chris DiSano‏ @CDiSano44
For those who may have missed it in quick chat last night: Ty Boswell expected to remain with URI under David Cox. Cox seeking and/or making decisions on 2 assts, GA, Video Coord. Hearing he will be measured in process, not rush to fill spots.
5 x
Beachcomber
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Beachcomber »

Regarding Adams: During St. Bonaventure's game in the NCAAT in Dayton, they showed Adams sitting besides his mother. I don't know why, but at the time I said to myself, "This kid is not coming to URI." I would not be surprised if he shows up in Oleans.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Beachcomber wrote:Regarding Adams: During St. Bonaventure's game in the NCAAT in Dayton, they showed Adams sitting besides his mother. I don't know why, but at the time I said to myself, "This kid is not coming to URI." I would not be surprised if he shows up in Oleans.
Not only is he within his rights to do that, but he is well aware...just look at his shirt :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if he went to the same school as his brother...kids do it all the time, including ours.
1 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Rhody83 wrote:Making another donation to the basketball program once this is officially announced by Thorr to thank him for doing the right thing.

For those who made the symbolic $20.18 contribution last month, maybe you can make a $20.19 contribtion after the press conference to show we support David Cox. Just a thought.

How about less symbolism and more cash.
3 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

twisted3829 wrote:Adams asked for his release
I'm guessing if somebody other than Cox was hired and then a current signed recruit asked for his release, everyone on this board would've been jumping up and down saying "See, I told ya we should've hired Cox. This kid is leaving because Thor hired Coach Y and not Cox."
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:Adams asked for his release
I'm guessing if somebody other than Cox was hired and then a current signed recruit asked for his release, everyone on this board would've been jumping up and down saying "See, I told ya we should've hired Cox. This kid is leaving because Thor hired Coach Y and not Cox."
I think, whoever the coach was going to be, if one recruit left people would consider it a victory. The concern was (and is) a mass exodus that would gut the roster. You lose one guy, you can recruit another guy. You lose 6, 7 guys that you expected to be in the rotation you are starting over from scratch. I don't think anyone would have been able to retain more of the roster than Cox, even if that means a guy or two eventually do leave.
4 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Beachcomber wrote:Regarding Adams: During St. Bonaventure's game in the NCAAT in Dayton, they showed Adams sitting besides his mother. I don't know why, but at the time I said to myself, "This kid is not coming to URI." I would not be surprised if he shows up in Oleans.
I'm just nitpicking to comfort myself about losing Adams, but whenever I saw him at Rhody games or on TV at away games he was ALWAYS staring at his phone and not paying any attention. Never seemed interested in the game. We want guys that are itching to play and can't wait to bring the intensity
3 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

URI'21 wrote:
I'm just nitpicking to comfort myself about losing Adams, but whenever I saw him at Rhody games or on TV at away games he was ALWAYS staring at his phone and not paying any attention. Never seemed interested in the game. We want guys that are itching to play and can't wait to bring the intensity
Completely agree with you. Whenever they showed him on TV he always looked completely disinterested. And I don't think I ever saw the kid smile even once. Not that smiling and doing cartwheels around the arena is a prerequisite in my eyes, but all of our players in recent years seem to have great personalities, they have fun, they enjoy being around each other. I think that's important for building team chemistry. Maybe Adams just felt like an outsider from the get-go for whatever reason, who knows. All of our other recruits seem to have bonded on social media, and also sent out numerous tweets reaffirming their commitment to URI. It was always radio silence from Adams and now we know why.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......yes, presser open to public......not from any source.....it would be just dumb if it wasn’t......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI96 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Making another donation to the basketball program once this is officially announced by Thorr to thank him for doing the right thing.

For those who made the symbolic $20.18 contribution last month, maybe you can make a $20.19 contribtion after the press conference to show we support David Cox. Just a thought.

How about less symbolism and more cash.
I am all for it. Bringing a check tomorrow with me to the presser.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

funny, I thought the same thing.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think it's a playing time thing. He wants to reaccess and make the best decision on what's best for him
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

URI'21 wrote:
He’s a teenager in 2018. Of course he would be glued to his phone.

The Adams bashing once he decommitted is absolutely absurd right now.
6 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote: The Adams bashing once he decommitted is absolutely absurd right now.
Agreed, not a good look.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody15 wrote:
URI'21 wrote:

Agreed, not cool.
Let’s be classy.
Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

So strange that a teenager would be looking at his phone! Guy is a top 150 player from a good basketball area playing a position in a guard heavy offense. Yes...it stinks that he left. It's OK to say out loud. It's also a pretty good outcome that only one has left during a coaching change.
3 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Damn Millennials and their smartphones!
Attachments
old.jpg
7 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Queens native. Would give staff a presence in that area, presumably. Macon and Cox worked together at Rutgers.
5 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yeah it is said that Van Macon has good recruiting ties on east coast from NY down to Florida.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Also they were on staff together at Rutgers during the Mike rice era and his firing.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote:Yeah it is said that Van Macon has good recruiting ties on east coast from NY down to Florida.
Same guy that wrote "Moondance", "Brown-Eyed Girl", "Into the Mystic"? Very talented.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:

Queens native. Would give staff a presence in that area, presumably.
What makes him credible? The source of this tweet, that is....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The person who runs that twitter is also posts here and is usually good with information. Not sure if that poster wants his identities connected or not, so I'll leave that to him.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Oh ok, gotcha.
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Rhody15 wrote:
URI'21 wrote:

I'm the same age as Adams, and it's just a fact that anyone using their phone that much isn't interested in what's going on around them.

Sorry that observing and pointing out a lack of interest is considered too mean for your liking.

For comparison, I saw Tate at one of our home games, and he did this crazy thing where he watched and seemed to care
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:Macon and Cox worked together at Rutgers.
Oh I know, just was wondering if he is just guessing or he had hard knowledge of that, no one else is even mentioning Van in Twitter world.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

It would be interesting to see an assistant switch teams in conference if Van macon did join the staff from Saint Louis. Cant recall another situation where that has happened
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ha right, sorry I wasn't trying to inform you in particular. I just meant to put that in my initial post and just forgot. Actually I think I'll update it.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
sevegny7 wrote:Yeah it is said that Van Macon has good recruiting ties on east coast from NY down to Florida.
Same guy that wrote "Moondance", "Brown-Eyed Girl", "Into the Mystic"? Very talented.
Some people get him mixed up with Jim Macon of the Doors.
4 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Billyboy78 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
And van morrison
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Macon and Cox worked together at Rutgers.
Oh I know, just was wondering if he is just guessing or he had hard knowledge of that, no one else is even mentioning Van in Twitter world.
It’s not a guess that he is on the short list.
Tweeter doesn’t guess
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Sign me up for either Van the man as an assistant
0 x
Clapton is God
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

URI'21 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:
URI'21 wrote:

I'm the same age as Adams, and it's just a fact that anyone using their phone that much isn't interested in what's going on around them.

Sorry that observing and pointing out a lack of interest is considered too mean for your liking.

For comparison, I saw Tate at one of our home games, and he did this crazy thing where he watched and seemed to care
You don't need to care about your employer (or the work itself for that matter) to be competant or excellent at what you choose to do. I consider myself talented in my field, but it's boring as hell and a total grind. Similarly, not all basketball players love basketball.

This isn't to say Adams doesn't care. But hey, maybe he doesn't, and that'd be fine.
1 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SnooterMagoo wrote:
URI'21 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:

You don't need to care about your employer (or the work itself for that matter) to be competant or excellent at what you choose to do. I consider myself talented in my field, but it's boring as hell and a total grind. Similarly, not all basketball players love basketball.

This isn't to say Adams doesn't care. But hey, maybe he doesn't, and that'd be fine.
I bet my work is boring-er than yours... :lol: :lol:
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Knowing what we know now, and watching how this entire Hurley-to-UCONN situation played out in front of our very eyes, why would you put any stock in the words that have come out of that man's mouth? He did a lot of great things for our program and I was sorry to see him go, but he proved to be somewhat of a phony with the whole "my team is my family" and "it's all about loyalty and commitment" nonsense.
“Family”doesn’t mean you stay forever, and the family atmosphere created with his teams didn’t seem to bother anyone when no one transferred or when players who could have started or put up gaudier numbers sacrificed for the team or when an assistant with a pathway to the main job was brought in to continue it all. It’s what he’s created everywhere he’s been. It’s why former players signed on to play again and why countless former players extended their congratulations- even ones he kicked off his team or left to come coach at Wagner or URI. Cox will do well. He needs to make that last assistant spot really count.
Iggy1979 wrote:I mentioned Rice's name last week. Many of those at Rutgers at the time, including Cox, think the Rice thing was overblown. He'd be a solid assistant. (Ace might have a few thoughts on this)
It was always a complex situation- the Rice and Hurley families are friendly, even as Biruta came to Dan after everything that went down. Most in Jersey basketball circles seem to think he’s paid his dues and deserves a college coaching job again. There hasn’t been too much negative talk from the work he’s been doing in high school (including St. Pat’s with Cyril) and AAU with camps and tournaments. His name seems to surface in St. John’s talks from time to time as an assistant to Mullin, but I don’t know those details. My personal thoughts on him aren’t great, but I won’t deny my huge bias with that.
8 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Was Mike Rice Cyril's high school coach ????
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reef wrote:Was Mike Rice Cyril's high school coach ????
Yes, during his senior year.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow did not know that
0 x
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
SnooterMagoo wrote:
URI'21 wrote:

I bet my work is boring-er than yours... :lol: :lol:
working office space GIF-downsized_large.gif
4 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

New assistant coach?

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

T.J. Sorrentine ??
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Has it been confirmed the public is welcome to this? I haven't seen it in any URI release and it's being held in the Alumni Lounge while Dan's introduction was held in Keaney
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Has it been confirmed the public is welcome to this? I haven't seen it in any URI release and it's being held in the Alumni Lounge while Dan's introduction was held in Keaney
I don't know, but relatedly, now that we have a coach will we hear plans for the end of year banquet soon?
3 x