The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Alright- decision behind us let’s freakin go out and crush this league next year. A good start and we will keep rolling baby. NCAAs or Bust!
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It would be nice to hear from Jermaine and Tyrese who both spoke out about wanting Cox
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

bigappleram wrote:It would be nice to hear from Jermaine and Tyrese who both spoke out about wanting Cox
Yes that...confirmation from them, and all is good.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm sure the Boneyard is anxious to sign BA :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote:I'm sure the Boneyard is anxious to sign BA :roll: :roll: :roll:
......maybe Tom Moore had/has hook into him......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

reef wrote:Maybe he is a bit worried about playing time ?? We do have a lot of good guards ???
we have no more good guards now than the day that he committed in the first place.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:
reef wrote:Maybe he is a bit worried about playing time ?? We do have a lot of good guards ???
we have no more good guards now than the day that he committed in the first place.
I don't think we are playing a 4 guard system anymore. Leave that for uconn to deal with.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
and seems like that's still plenty? Especially with less likelihood of playing 4, 5, or even 6 guards at a time?
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
and seems like that's still plenty? Especially with less likelihood of playing 4, 5, or even 6 guards at a time?

I don't disagree. I'm just saying I don't believe he left because he thinks we have too many guards. There is nothing different about the composition of the players than when he signed his LOI. The only difference is the head coach.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

8 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
Just WIN DC! Keep it going! You have the keys to a great team and great recruits. No reason for a downturn.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Well we are little thin at the guard position now. Need that transfer now for sure! Maybe Adams just felt betrayed by Hurley; who knows.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

theblueram wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
I don't think we are playing a 4 guard system anymore. Leave that for uconn to deal with.
We would have only had 5 guards total with Adams, I don’t know how he could have expected us to play 4 guards next year anyways. Even with 3 guards there was a chance Adams could have been the third starter by the end of the year or at least first off the bench. Just seems like an all around weird decision but it will be interesting to see where he ends up going.

Edit: Also I think it’s most likely that once Hurley was gone Adam’s was gone too but decided to wait to hear the head coach named before leaving.
Last edited by josephski 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:Well we are little thin at the guard position now. Need that transfer now for sure! Maybe Adams just felt betrayed by Hurley; who knows.
Wouldn't he have asked for his release then like last week?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Martin’s tweet to Coach Cox. It’s Show Time. This kid is ready.

1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

theblueram wrote:
UCH21377 wrote:Well we are little thin at the guard position now. Need that transfer now for sure! Maybe Adams just felt betrayed by Hurley; who knows.
I suppose so. Maybe he wanted to see who was hired? I really don't know. Do know we could use some guard depth now.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
I suppose so. Maybe he wanted to see who was hired? I really don't know. Do know we could use some guard depth now.
I think we are playing big next year. Tate, Harris, CL, Martin, and then who knows about the bench guys ( Preston, Layssard etc).
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

If are roster stays as is, Dowtin and Fatts will be best guard combo in A 10 and one of the best in nation. Throw in CT, somewhat of a wild card,but certainly has potential to be a very good player. The 4 guards we had last year is not the norm for any team and will not be for us. I think if everything stays as is, we will be fine. And still 2 scholarships left
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

That’s a shame about Adams, but honestly? I’d be more upset if it was any one of the other three recruits. The timing is also peculiar. Why ask for your release on the day Cox is announced as the new head coach? Wasn’t Cox the lead recruiter for him?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Also could have been he saw himself as better than Fatts when he committed. After watching the season unfold that may have changed. He also could have just recently received interest from a school with a better opportunity for him.

All speculation, but after reading his mother's blog, you know this was a well thought out decision.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Too bad for Adams.
Loved his upside with his size and the fact that his brother is who he is.

We can manage with Fatts Dowtin CT and Martin.
We definitely need one more guy in there at least.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Dre3000 wrote:Also could have been he saw himself as better than Fatts when he committed. After watching the season unfold that may have changed. He also could have just recently received interest from a school with a better opportunity for him.

All speculation, but after reading his mother's blog, you know this was a well thought out decision.
Valid points, I guess the timing is just very odd. I agree that from reading his mother’s blog it was probably a well thought out decision but it appears that hiring Cox was what sealed that decision.

It just sucks. I was so pumped about the Cox hire then this happens almost immediately. Have to hope Cox can get either a grad transfer or a freshman who can give us some quality backcourt minutes.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......not sure where this belongs......after the weeks you all have had, thanks Thorr and Dr. Dooley......for getting this done......the program and its vision remains intact......well done......
6 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Adams is a bit of a blow, but understandable.

Maybe go out and get a pure shooter, someone who can play minutes and break up a zone.

That's kind of been the strategy from day one, no? Elite athletes, Big men, and pure shooters.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm not sure why people keep saying the timing is odd. He waited to find out who the new coach was, he found out, and he made his decision quickly. Nothing really odd about it.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

jcru wrote:Adams is a bit of a blow, but understandable.

Maybe go out and get a pure shooter, someone who can play minutes and break up a zone.

That's kind of been the strategy from day one, no? Elite athletes, Big men, and pure shooters.
Well we have Martin. He's a really good shooter.
If we can just get anyone close to around as good as Adams we will be in fine shape.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Thinking out loud is it possible Cox asked him to re evaluate his commitment ?
I expect roster decisions will have to be made on multiple team members no?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote:I'm not sure why people keep saying the timing is odd. He waited to find out who the new coach was, he found out, and he made his decision quickly. Nothing really odd about it.

I don't know. Who could he have been hoping for other than Cox? Also, I think everyone inside the program has been assuming it was going to be Cox since before Hurley's decision was public. From that perspective, I do think the timing is a little weird. My tinfoil hat guess to explain it is that he expressed a desire to be released from his LOI after Hurley took the UConn job and was asked to wait until the coaching situation was resolved to avoid stoking a panic.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:I'm not sure why people keep saying the timing is odd. He waited to find out who the new coach was, he found out, and he made his decision quickly. Nothing really odd about it.

I don't know. Who could he have been hoping for other than Cox? Also, I think everyone inside the program has been assuming it was going to be Cox since before Hurley's decision was public. From that perspective, I do think the timing is a little weird. My tinfoil hat guess to explain it is that he expressed a desire to be released from his LOI after Hurley took the UConn job and was asked to wait until the coaching situation was resolved to avoid stoking a panic.
Good theory/conjecture...wouldn't even call that tin foil hat, that's straight up aluminum.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

What has Adams' mother been saying on her blog?
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.

And as far as getting a shooter goes as someone mentioned, Martin is a about a smooth a shooter as they come. Thompson is a more polished Adams, except Thompson can shoot the 3. Adams has no jumper.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

it's odd because the person that was hired as head coach was the person he would most likely stay for. if he wasn't going to stay for Cox, who could we have possibly hired that he would stay for? I suppose Pitino maybe, but none of the other candidates. So if he wasn't going to stay for Cox why not decommit when Hurley left?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If the recruit is totally committed to the HC then he ask for his release as soon as the HC leaves.
The other scenario is they stay to see if Cox gets the job. Do you think he would’ve stayed if one of the other candidates got the job? Who would that have been?
He just lost 2 weeks in his new recruiting process. Recruits have received offers and made verbal commitments during those 2 weeks - spots that are no longer available to Adams. The only logical situation I can think of - he already knows the school he is going to and he held off so his decision wouldn’t hurt Coach Cox.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

hrstrat57 wrote:Thinking out loud is it possible Cox asked him to re evaluate his commitment ?
I expect roster decisions will have to be made on multiple team members no?

Why would Cox do that? Isn't Cox the one that recruited him? There have been no changes to the roster since Adams committed. I find it hard to believe this decision is roster or playing time related. He had to know he would be coming off the bench when he committed and would likely be the 2nd guard off the bench.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Adams has no jumper.
I don’t watch the recruits as close as others, but if this is true he just may not be a good fit for Cox. Hurley clearly overlooked a lack of a jumper for Stan and Terrell for a few years. I also just assumed he had a good shot but that was purely based on his brother which is not fair to him.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rhodylaw wrote:
Adams has no jumper.
I don’t watch the recruits as close as others, but if this is true he just may not be a good fit for Cox. Hurley clearly overlooked a lack of a jumper for Stan and Terrell for a few years. I also just assumed he had a good shot but that was purely based on his brother which is not fair to him.

Cox recruited him. If Cox didn't think he was a good fit, hard to believe Dan would have pushed him to recruit harder. That doesn't make sense. I find it hard to believe Cox doesn't want him here. This is coming from the kid.
1 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Maybe DC should be looking for a recruiter from the NY or Philly area. I understand an experience basketball doctor could be found from one of these areas to sit next to him on the bench.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote:
Adams has no jumper.
After the career Terrell had here, Hurley did not overlook anything with him.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Where would Sorrentine recruit? New England, I suppose? Wouldn't we already have that covered with Ty?
He has ties to the South and the West Coast
Tell me more about T.J. Yes, I remember him in high school and at UVM. What are his strengths as a coach? Is he a strong recruiter?
TJ would be a perfect fit. He’s an incredible skill development guy and has ties to CA from recruiting as Associate HC at Brown which he has been there for close to 8 years, I believe. He’s the type of guy who would give great balance to the staff and out work others in scouting and recruiting. Cox is a terrific floor coach and surrounding himself with a RIer would be smart
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:

I don't think it was necessarily hoping for someone else, but why not wait it out and see what happens before making a decision? Your scenario is certainly also possible to. I just don't think the timing was really all that odd.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote:

If the recruit is totally committed to the HC then he ask for his release as soon as the HC leaves.
The other scenario is they stay to see if Cox gets the job. Do you think he would’ve stayed if one of the other candidates got the job? Who would that have been?
He just lost 2 weeks in his new recruiting process. Recruits have received offers and made verbal commitments during those 2 weeks - spots that are no longer available to Adams. The only logical situation I can think of - he already knows the school he is going to and he held off so his decision wouldn’t hurt Coach Cox.
I have no idea if he would have stayed if one of the other candidates got the job. But why not wait and see before making a decision? To me it is more odd to make a decision on your future school without knowing who the coach is going to be then it is to make that decision after finding out who the coach is going to be. And I don't think losing 2 weeks in the process is going to make that big of a difference. Still plenty of options available to him.

Either way, all kind of meaningless now I guess. But for me it makes perfect sense that you would want to know who your coach would be before deciding whether to stay or go.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

BleedBlue87 wrote:I would assume player attendance at the Friday press conference would give us some sort of indicator on who is staying and going right?

Also, is it open to the public or just press. i would like to be there.

Not always. Billy Baron was at the Hurley presser. Admittedly that was a much different situation.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

TJ Sorrentine sounds intriguing. Let's get him on the bench !!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree with those who think that Adams wanted out when Hurley left, and was asked to hold off announcing it until a new coach was hired.

He may or may not have another school in mind already. With the spring signing period almost here, we'll find out soon.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well we now have Martin's confirmation.....just waiting for JH's now.....
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:I agree with those who think that Adams wanted out when Hurley left, and was asked to hold off announcing it until a new coach was hired.

He may or may not have another school in mind already. With the spring signing period almost here, we'll find out soon.
To follow up on what Dre said...maybe playing time mattered more to him and he was thinking about his release regardless.

Cox staying meant none of the team was going to transfer - so that’s what sealed it for him.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote:Well we now have Martin's confirmation.....just waiting for JH's now.....
Confirmation of what? Kid already said he’s only playing for DC, what more do you all want??
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote:Well we now have Martin's confirmation.....just waiting for JH's now.....
he's pledged his allegiance to Cox and said "Rhode Island is my home" since Hurley left...I'd say that counts
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:I agree with those who think that Adams wanted out when Hurley left, and was asked to hold off announcing it until a new coach was hired.

To follow up on what Dre said...maybe playing time mattered more to him and he was thinking about his release regardless.

Cox staying meant none of the team was going to transfer - so that’s what sealed it for him.
if playing time is the case, then I'm not shedding any tears over it. Rather have the spot used by someone that looks at competition and says "I'll win" than someone that looks at competition and shys away from it
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---