The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well Cox is going to be a very busy man for a while.

Looking to hire assistants...and knowing who he has for next year, so he can recruit accordingly.

The spring signing period starts next week.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

He's been busy. I'm not sure if you think he has been just hanging out watching Netflix since Dan resigned or what, but that is not the case.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Why do you all think we are losing Fatts? The guy LOVES Coach Cox. Cox was his primary recruiter, and Fatts has posted countless things on his IG with him in Rhody gear saying “Year 2....Loading”. He for sure is staying.
9 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

hrstrat57 wrote:I follow Fatts on twitter and expect he will suppress my fear shortly.

There is a very active fake Fatts twitter account so be careful out there....
If you're on Instagram, Fatts is more active there than he is on twitter.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There is also this weird twitter handle that purports to be a URI fan site, but then puts out info that is laced with negativity about the program...its really odd. It's like its a Russian hacker trying to troll URI. Maybe others have come across it...i wanna say its something like Running Rhody or something to that effect.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jeff said “everyone is staying”
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:I follow Fatts on twitter and expect he will suppress my fear shortly.

There is a very active fake Fatts twitter account so be careful out there....
If you're on Instagram, Fatts is more active there than he is on twitter.
No IG posts since 3/27

I posted pic of Fatts from day 1 on my IG feed

https://instagram.com/p/BbN0ZohgQje/
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

WOW we are in a good place right now. Jeff, Fatts, Cyril, Thompson coming back next year and a great recruiting class as well. The talk about people being happy with an NIT bid is just ridiculous. We'll dance next year and the year after too. Can't wait for November.
8 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

hrstrat57 wrote:Fatts is the key to the highway at least in the short term......

Mandatory retention, absolutely mandatory!!!

Exactly why I posted his GIF above!!!!
Fatts is staying because I ain't changing my avatar or sig tag.

:mrgreen:
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wonder if Cox wants them quiet for now on social media. Only Dana and Christion have made comments about the hire.
1 x
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

What's this speculation and negativity one who is staying and who is not. Think about it as a player.

First and foremost, Coach Cox seems well liked and respected by his players and recruits. If I have been sitting on the bench, maybe this is the break I needed to get on the court, so I'm staying. If I'm one of the 3 young talented players, I look at the amazing recruits this guy is bringing in and I expect that to continue so I'm sticking around. Future looks like NCAA Tourney is achievable every year I'm here. I'm in.

Program with or without Hurley is on the up. Alumni support has never been stronger. What an amazing showing we had in DC, you guys were great. Alumni Association and others did an amazing job. URI seems committed, the support is there.

Cox is a smart guy. You can bet he will surround himself with the assistants he needs to continue the great recruiting and experience required to coach at a higher level on the hardwood. He knows it's a great opportunity and he's not going blow.
Another quality recruiting class and we have a nationally recognized program. Three very good young players, throw in 2 back to back solid recruiting years. This has the potential to be team to remember. Future looks bright, I'm in.

So, sit back and enjoy the ride, the best is yet to come.

Congratulations to Coach Cox
7 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We know Cox is a great recuiter, I feel like that will only grow with him at the top. Absolutely huge in my mind.
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Oh no, I didn't see the Mike Rice tweet saying Cox was the basketball Mike Tomlin. This is New England man. We have a low opinion of Tomlin's abilities!
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

I am hearing that Sorrentine from Brown staff and the former player at St. Rays and Vermont is seriously being considered for one of the two openings on the coaching staff
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Narr9999 wrote:I am hearing that Sorrentine from Brown staff and the former player at St. Rays and Vermont is seriously being considered for one of the two openings on the coaching staff
Would be great to get a fellow RI Breakers alum on the staff! He would be great. Huge supporter of his getting a spot.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So now the talk is straight from the Cox hire into we are losing players? Some neurotic posting going here. :o
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Adams asked for his release
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:Adams asked for his release
That is pretty odd and sad. I don't know if he would be open to us re-recruiting him, but I was really looking forward to him playing here.
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

I would have rather lost Adams than the other 3 especially seeing how Martin competed against Reddish
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

And there’s at least 1 - let’s hope that’s it. Kinda head scratching being he’s a DMV kid.
1 x
RhodyRam2011
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRam2011 »

Never posted insider info, but have it on good authority that TJ Sorrentine (Brown asst/Vermont Grad) is being considered and will likely be on named to staff as an assistant.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam2011 wrote:Never posted insider info, but have it on good authority that TJ Sorrentine (Brown asst/Vermont Grad) is being considered and will likely be on named to staff as an assistant.
Isn't Cox looking for a DMV assistant? Not sure I see a fit.
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Watch us get Amir back lol
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Probably thinking plenty of bench is his future short term with Thompson, Dowtin and Russell ahead of him.....

St. Bonaventure perhaps a destination?
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodyRam2011
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRam2011 »

theblueram wrote:
RhodyRam2011 wrote:Never posted insider info, but have it on good authority that TJ Sorrentine (Brown asst/Vermont Grad) is being considered and will likely be on named to staff as an assistant.
Isn't Cox looking for a DMV assistant? Not sure I see a fit.
Not saying it is a fit; just providing the information from a reliable source. We shall see.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

hrstrat57 wrote:Probably thinking plenty of bench is his future short term with Thompson, Dowtin and Russell ahead of him.....

St. Bonaventure perhaps a destination?
If Adams is anywhere close to his brother in skill there's no way Thompson would be ahead of him.

Pretty disappointing though, I loved watching Jaylen Adams play and was really excited about having Brendan play for us.
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

theblueram wrote:So now the talk is straight from the Cox hire into we are losing players? Some neurotic posting going here. :o
It is part of every coaching change. Why wouldn’t it be part of the conversation? New assistants, players moving based on who they wanted to coach them happens everywhere. So far with Adams he had been pretty silent through all social media outlets we know of, so not an entire shock. I know others posted they think 1 or 2 other recruits/players may leave and I wouldn’t be shocked. But the current appearance is we will have a top point guard, and a couple of big men that will entertain the crowds at the Ryan Center come November
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Disappointing I would have loved to see him in a Ram uni. Hopefully he will be the only one to change his choice or direction to Kingston. With his brother being a star at St Bonnies, maybe just a personal feeling but thought it was a bit of an awkward fit. Again, saddened and so soon after announcement of Coach Cox.

Who knows what goes through a young man , a recruits mind. Most recruits are ultimately attracted to the coach, head coach at time they are recruited despite fact the assistant may have done the majority of the leg work. Being a guard and Hurley's demonstrated ability to overly love guard play and to develop guards in his URI tenure is more than likely alluring to a young guard as well. Now that coach is no longer here.

Seems a bit strange that the release was asked for the same afternoon that the Cox hire was announced, especially since Cox apparently was the lead recruiter. One would wonder what did he expect to happen if Cox wasn't hired? Would anyone have changed his mind? Maybe a Pitino type, I don't know, but his mind may have been made up when Dan announced UConn.

Whatever happens will happen not one of us here can control. Again I hope he is the only one, but I am hesitant to believe that. The program will go on with whoever is here and if the core group stays, I believe it will go on very well and continue great success. Hopefully there is some chance we may still be considered in his re recruitment, but if not I wish the young man the best of luck wherever he lands, unless its a team that plays Rhody and on the day he would become an opponent.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

If TJ Sorrentine is being considered and ultimately would be hired as an assistant , I am all in as well. There is a personal thing, but I also believe he could be a rising star in the business and I always like a local guy to succeed. He also was part of a couple of very good Ivy league recruiting classes in his short time at Brown.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

giovanni wrote:If TJ Sorrentine is being considered and ultimately would be hired as an assistant , I am all in as well. There is a personal thing, but I also believe he could be a rising star in the business and I always like a local guy to succeed. He also was part of a couple of very good Ivy league recruiting classes in his short time at Brown.

Was raised by a local HS coaching mainstay.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Where would Sorrentine recruit? New England, I suppose? Wouldn't we already have that covered with Ty?
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

First of all he is very tied to NE . There is enough talent in NE prep ranks to supply many teams as well as aau. Coaches may have their ties and roots to certain areas but that doesn't mean that they are tied to that and cannot succeed elsewhere. The connections that are made today through AAU is wide ranging and goes further with an ex player who was very successful in his own right
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote:

Who knows what goes through a young man , a recruits mind..
I think it's more unusual when you DON'T know what's going through their minds these days...
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

While we did great in the DMV area I never thought we ever came close to tapping all the talent in the northeast or NE alone. Dan never seemed to connect locally at all. While there is obviously tremendous talent in the mid Atlantic there is also a fantastic amount of talent right here in the northeast
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Attrition, it happens. I’m more than confident Cox and crew will fill Adams void. With Christion Thompson coming back, him and Adams are very similar players. Will be fine.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......think we will have a Coach’s Show?......hope so......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

What? Adams why?
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

What is going on? I say Adams has to be likely. You guys bash me. 3 hours later the kid is asking for his release. What is up with this place.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Why wait until now to ask for the release? Was be expecting Hurley to come back?
3 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe he is a bit worried about playing time ?? We do have a lot of good guards ???
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Perhaps because we won't use a 4 guard line up anymore?
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:Where would Sorrentine recruit? New England, I suppose? Wouldn't we already have that covered with Ty?
He has ties to the South and the West Coast
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Where would Sorrentine recruit? New England, I suppose? Wouldn't we already have that covered with Ty?
Tell me more about T.J. Yes, I remember him in high school and at UVM. What are his strengths as a coach? Is he a strong recruiter?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
I don't see any of that in his resume. Seems like an East Coast guy to me. Mainly NE.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Back to Fatts for a second, he is constantly posting live videos from his IG. I get notifications all the time saying, "limitless.fatts started a live video. Watch it before it ends!" I also don't see anything on IG later than 3/27, but the last notification of a live video was about 40 mins ago. I guess those don't save?

Here's his IG:

https://www.instagram.com/limitless.fatts/
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

That does suck about Adams though.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

steviep123 wrote:Back to Fatts for a second, he is constantly posting live videos from his IG. I get notifications all the time saying, "limitless.fatts started a live video. Watch it before it ends!" I also don't see anything on IG later than 3/27, but the last notification of a live video was about 40 mins ago. I guess those don't save?

Here's his IG:

Watched it for a couple of minutes. Not sure what the point was.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Back to Fatts for a second, he is constantly posting live videos from his IG. I get notifications all the time saying, "limitless.fatts started a live video. Watch it before it ends!" I also don't see anything on IG later than 3/27, but the last notification of a live video was about 40 mins ago. I guess those don't save?

Here's his IG:

Watched it for a couple of minutes. Not sure what the point was.
I haven't watched any of his or anyone else's live videos. I have no interest. Just commenting that even though it seems like he hasn't posted on IG since the 27th, he's active there.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Congrats to coach Cox! Bummer about Adams...I guess his silence was deffening.
0 x