Note To Dan Hurley

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Note To Dan Hurley

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I honestly didn't think this was that bad of a take.
I don't agree with the mischaracterizations of what people here have been saying. Nobody said Dan's emotions after the Duke game were "phony" and very, very few people have criticized him for his getting technical fouls or minimized his accomplishments - and the few people that have done that were doing that WELL BEFORE he took the UConn job and have always had a hair across their ass for Dan.

I also think UConn fans are delusional with the way they view their own program. I know Storrs is a godforsaken backwater outpost, but is it really still 2010 there? If UConn were still in a league with Syracuse, Villanova, Louisville, etc., then theirs would be one of the best 5-10 jobs in the country. Times change, my man. UConn is in a basketball league with East Carolina and Tulane. It finished behind Central Florida in the standings. It has to play conference road games in Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma. UConn is still a good job and the right coach can have it at the top of their conference rather quickly. The reality is that from a perks and compensation and brand perspective it offers things that URI cannot, but those things are the remnants of another time and will not always be true. They now live in a basketball world much more similar to URI's than to their old Big East contemporaries. They are very fortunate that one of the best up-and-coming coaches in America had his view of their program formed at a time when it was truly an elite program, but that doesn't change any of what I just said.
I guess I can't tell if it's a fair amount of people or the same few people saying the same thing - but the "Dan's fake, he never cared, he's a snake oil salesman, he's all about the money" narrative has been on the board plenty. I don't view it as a mischaracterization so much as maybe a vocal minority is pushing that narrative more than the majority of the board.

UConn fans are most-certainly delusional with how they view their program (i.e. still thinking it's 2010, firing a coach who won them a title within a recruiting cycle, etc), but it's fair to say we've been delusional in how we characterized UConn as well.

The conference doesn't make the team - clearly - or URI wouldn't be having a debate about program status with a team from any other multi bid league. Very obviously the gap between AAC and A10 is not far at all. Their top 2 "elite" teams are better than our top 2 "elite" teams, traditionally, but the gap isn't that far. This season I think URI/Bonnies would've split a series between themselves and Cinci/Houston. The floor of our league is lower than the floor of the AAC, and the middle could go either way depending on the year.

Also, if UConn is in that "shitty" of a conference if we want to think of it like that - than it would be really easy for Dan to get to the top of that conference and dominate it in a few short years. Not exactly like having to fight from the bottom in the ACC. Easier path to the NCAA's like that than having to go up against Duke, UNC, Virginia, Syracuse, and others every year.

Whether you want to talk about "brand" or whatever - UConn has 3 things we physically do not have.

1) a ridiculous practice facility that provides a competitive advantage (practices and 24/7 gym access for players) and recruiting advantage over anyone else in the region. 2) private, chartered jet hours for recruiting trips. (It probably isn't common knowledge that Dan had to bum rides with another local coach on his plane for some recruiting trips to the same area, but yeah we can still think things like that don't matter). 3) On that jet he can have Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, Kemba Walker, Shabazz, Emeka Okafor, or any other set of recent alums who are/were NBA stars come and hit the trail with him to go get top 25 guys.

We will most definitely be a better team than UConn next year and the year after - but obviously if Dan is staring his dream job in the face, he's looking at much longer than 2 years.

I have a feeling both us and UConn will be dominating their respective conferences for the forseeable future - so as I continue to rock my emotions back and forth - it's hard for me to see our situation as dire or being pissed about Dan moving on.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:
I don't agree with the mischaracterizations of what people here have been saying. Nobody said Dan's emotions after the Duke game were "phony" and very, very few people have criticized him for his getting technical fouls or minimized his accomplishments - and the few people that have done that were doing that WELL BEFORE he took the UConn job and have always had a hair across their ass for Dan.

I also think UConn fans are delusional with the way they view their own program. I know Storrs is a godforsaken backwater outpost, but is it really still 2010 there? If UConn were still in a league with Syracuse, Villanova, Louisville, etc., then theirs would be one of the best 5-10 jobs in the country. Times change, my man. UConn is in a basketball league with East Carolina and Tulane. It finished behind Central Florida in the standings. It has to play conference road games in Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma. UConn is still a good job and the right coach can have it at the top of their conference rather quickly. The reality is that from a perks and compensation and brand perspective it offers things that URI cannot, but those things are the remnants of another time and will not always be true. They now live in a basketball world much more similar to URI's than to their old Big East contemporaries. They are very fortunate that one of the best up-and-coming coaches in America had his view of their program formed at a time when it was truly an elite program, but that doesn't change any of what I just said.
agree about UConn, was saying similar things during "the decision"

we are watching them go through the death throes of falling from a premier program to an also ran.

They are on the St Johns path...there was a time when St Johns was the big dog with all the top NYC kids going there. But their time came and went, same as it's happening now for UConn.

The conference is a huge detriment. Big difference selling a kid on playing Syracuse, Pitt, Villanova, Georgetown at MSG vs playing ECU, Tulsa, Houston, Wichita St at god knows where.

Its no surprise they have been in a sharp decline since the last of the Big East recruits left (NIT, NCAA Rd 1, no postseason 2x). Ollie was the scapegoat for the reality they cant accept (and Dan will be the next one)
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

I guess I can't tell if it's a fair amount of people or the same few people saying the same thing - but the "Dan's fake, he never cared, he's a snake oil salesman, he's all about the money" narrative has been on the board plenty. I don't view it as a mischaracterization so much as maybe a vocal minority is pushing that narrative more than the majority of the board.

UConn fans are most-certainly delusional with how they view their program (i.e. still thinking it's 2010, firing a coach who won them a title within a recruiting cycle, etc), but it's fair to say we've been delusional in how we characterized UConn as well.

The conference doesn't make the team - clearly - or URI wouldn't be having a debate about program status with a team from any other multi bid league. Very obviously the gap between AAC and A10 is not far at all. Their top 2 "elite" teams are better than our top 2 "elite" teams, traditionally, but the gap isn't that far. This season I think URI/Bonnies would've split a series between themselves and Cinci/Houston. The floor of our league is lower than the floor of the AAC, and the middle could go either way depending on the year.

Also, if UConn is in that "shitty" of a conference if we want to think of it like that - than it would be really easy for Dan to get to the top of that conference and dominate it in a few short years. Not exactly like having to fight from the bottom in the ACC. Easier path to the NCAA's like that than having to go up against Duke, UNC, Virginia, Syracuse, and others every year.

Whether you want to talk about "brand" or whatever - UConn has 3 things we physically do not have.

1) a ridiculous practice facility that provides a competitive advantage (practices and 24/7 gym access for players) and recruiting advantage over anyone else in the region. 2) private, chartered jet hours for recruiting trips. (It probably isn't common knowledge that Dan had to bum rides with another local coach on his plane for some recruiting trips to the same area, but yeah we can still think things like that don't matter). 3) On that jet he can have Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, Kemba Walker, Shabazz, Emeka Okafor, or any other set of recent alums who are/were NBA stars come and hit the trail with him to go get top 25 guys.

We will most definitely be a better team than UConn next year and the year after - but obviously if Dan is staring his dream job in the face, he's looking at much longer than 2 years.

I have a feeling both us and UConn will be dominating their respective conferences for the forseeable future - so as I continue to rock my emotions back and forth - it's hard for me to see our situation as dire or being pissed about Dan moving on.
I'm with you on all of this, especially the last paragraph. But if anyone is going to crush our fans for acting like babies it is going to be us and not some UConn fan interloper dropping in to make it seem like the entire fan base is burning Dan Hurley at the stake. Fuck that.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote:
Observer1966 wrote:I'm an outsider in this conversation with a couple observations about the schizophrenia running rampant here.

First, the general drift is Hurley did a very good or great job building your program from loser to two straight NCAA berths and two rounds of 32, but then some jump in and question his ability to manage the game, criticize him for getting technicals called on him and minimize his accomplishments to some degree by saying Cox got the recruits, etc.

Then, while many believe he really liked the job and the area and believe his true feelings showed in the way he spoke about Rhode Island, the fans and his players, others jump in with charges that he and his wife exhibited phony emotions after the Duke loss. Based on some quick glimpse of him and his wife? How about the image we all saw of him with his arm around EC Matthews as they went to the locker room?

Then, some denigrate UConn as if it's a second rate job and Hurley should have waited for a better job or stayed at Rhode Island. It's OK to be disappointed when the coach that brought you your first A-10 championship leaves to go to a former regional rival, but you look petty when you talk about how there were so many better jobs to be had. Where would those jobs be? UConn has won four NC's in the last twenty years, while none of the "big" jobs have won more than three, and it's not likely any of those "big" jobs are opening up in the next few years. Too many big egos to feed plus lots of money to be made before retiring.

And, finally, quite a few question how UConn could have been his "dream" job. Did you read his comments about how he felt playing against them in the Old Big East? Or how impressed he was with UConn's style of play and intensity and they were his favorite team as a fan? Check this article for a pretty good indication of his thoughts on the program: https://www.nhregister.com/sports/jeffj ... 777670.php

Who knows how this all works out for either school. It could be great for both or neither or one wins and the other loses. We'll know in about three years. Hurley sounded as if he hopes Cox gets the job and he also sounds as if he is not interested in "poaching" any Rhode Island recruits. Perhaps that's the real answer to those who doubt he cares or ever cared about the University of Rhode Island.
I honestly didn't think this was that bad of a take.

Minus the "UConn has won 4 NC's in the last 20 years" part. That doesn't make UConn a great job or a destination - it's their program investments and donor base. That's the difference. That would be like saying Loyola Chicago is a better coaching job than Xavier because the Ramblers have more Final Fours and National Titles (1963).

Everything else was fairly on point, and most rational posters on here agree that Dan was probably the only person to lift us from a perennial conference doormat to perennial conference champions in one recruiting cycle. As much as he pulled the rug out from under me, I'm not going to begrudge the guy because he set this program up for sustained success. He did right by URI, more than held up his end of the bargain, and truly dedicated himself to the program every day for 6 years - even when a large segment of the fan base didn't want to do the same.

I also agree with the point about what URI meant to him by him not taking players and recruits - by all accounts encouraging them to stay here and build on what they have.

Very obviously UConn was Dan's dream job, regardless of what people say here about it.

As for the "schizophrenia" on this board - I'd worry about the Boneyard and how they'll react in 3 years if Dan doesn't have them in a final four yet, although that might not matter since the last coach that brought you one of those "recent national titles" that matter so much to you was tossed out on the curb while you tried to weasel out of paying him.
Like Blue Man, I agree with most of this. What I don't agree with, (and ultimately not my call, but Hurley's) is that UConn is the job it used to be. Maybe it has cache in name still, but it remains to be seen if it can still be that great job in the AAC. I contend he'll be a big fish in a small pond, not much different than URI. Until or unless the landscape changes, UConn's ceiling could very well be lower than it used to be. That's what a lot of people think. For his sake (and for ours as if UConn's ceiling is lower than most, then so is URI's), I hope that's wrong.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

we are watching them go through the death throes of falling from a premier program to an also ran.

They are on the St Johns path...there was a time when St Johns was the big dog with all the top NYC kids going there. But their time came and went, same as it's happening now for UConn.

The conference is a huge detriment. Big difference selling a kid on playing Syracuse, Pitt, Villanova, Georgetown at MSG vs playing ECU, Tulsa, Houston, Wichita St at god knows where.

Its no surprise they have been in a sharp decline since the last of the Big East recruits left (NIT, NCAA Rd 1, no postseason 2x). Ollie was the scapegoat for the reality they cant accept (and Dan will be the next one)
Calling them an also ran when they are 4 seasons removed from a National Championship is off base. Has the landscape changed? Yes. Have they taken a hit from re-alignment? Yes. Is their old conference (Big East) better than their current one (AAC), yes. But you cannot call a program with a dozen highly visible players in the league, a dominant women's program dynasty and a 40MM practice facility with championship banners and dozens of active NBA players hanging in the rafters an also ran. It makes us look delusional and out of touch. And it's not delusional for a coach that believes in himself to think he can get them back to that same place. A program is comprised of the coach and the players..conference matters, but if it was all that important Gonzaga wouldn't be considered a perennial power.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan will get them to the top of the AAC. Just like us in the A10.

They will go to the NCAA tourney very often, again just like us.

How far they go, big question...again same as us.

Win 4 more NCAA titles, never. Win one more? Not much more likely than us.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Calling them an also ran when they are 4 seasons removed from a National Championship is off base. Has the landscape changed? Yes. Have they taken a hit from re-alignment? Yes. Is their old conference (Big East) better than their current one (AAC), yes. But you cannot call a program with a dozen highly visible players in the league, a dominant women's program dynasty and a 40MM practice facility with championship banners and dozens of active NBA players hanging in the rafters an also ran. It makes us look delusional and out of touch. And it's not delusional for a coach that believes in himself to think he can get them back to that same place. A program is comprised of the coach and the players..conference matters, but if it was all that important Gonzaga wouldn't be considered a perennial power.
r-e-a-d-i-n-g c-o-m-p-r-e-h-e-n-s-i-o-n
go through the death throes of falling from a premier program to an also ran.
I said they are on the path to becoming an also ran, not there yet.

And people need to stop bringing up the Nat'l Title. That was a product of the Big East, a team loaded with elite BE recruits. Since then they have had a dramatic drop in talent level.
0 x
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The question is, will Hurley be able to recruit at the highest level, even with their facilities and money?

If not, they aren't coming close to their glory days. Ollie got some good recruits...but some of them didn't stay.

Maybe when K retires....he's getting everyone...even beating out Cal.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote:

r-e-a-d-i-n-g c-o-m-p-r-e-h-e-n-s-i-o-n
go through the death throes of falling from a premier program to an also ran.
I said they are on the path to becoming an also ran, not there yet.

And people need to stop bringing up the Nat'l Title. That was a product of the Big East, a team loaded with elite BE recruits. Since then they have had a dramatic drop in talent level.
If 2 disappointing seasons makes them an also ran to you then we have a different definition of also ran...UNLV is an also ran. CT as of last season had guys on their roster who won a NC. It's an overstatement.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think DH will recruit there very well he is a great recruiter. It's a good job for him he can win there at a high level may take a few years though
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

It just hit me that on On March 7th I received this message from a friend of mind who is a die hard Uconn fan and knows a lot of people connected to the program...

"Via knowledgeable sources at Uconn. Calhoun spent a couple of recent weeks with Hurley. Hurley will be going to UCONN for about $3 Mil Per Year. Will spend summers in Little Rhody. New coach from Quinnipiac will be coming with him. Signed, Sealed, and Delivered"

I thought this was absolute bull shit. I can't believe that it was all true.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

steveystuds06 wrote:It just hit me that on On March 7th I received this message from a friend of mind who is a die hard Uconn fan and knows a lot of people connected to the program...

"Via knowledgeable sources at Uconn. Calhoun spent a couple of recent weeks with Hurley. Hurley will be going to UCONN for about $3 Mil Per Year. Will spend summers in Little Rhody. New coach from Quinnipiac will be coming with him. Signed, Sealed, and Delivered"

Let's not forgot DH hadn't given a thought about other jobs until the season ended :?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

URI'21 wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:It just hit me that on On March 7th I received this message from a friend of mind who is a die hard Uconn fan and knows a lot of people connected to the program...

Let's not forgot DH hadn't given a thought about other jobs until the season ended :?
That might be true depending on the definition of "other" - he probably hasn't thought of any other job except his then current one and his then future one.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I was ripped to pieces for throwing out my anecdote and trying to connect the dots. A met a big booster at a baby shower and the guy basically said Ollie was gone and they were going after Hurley. Then Ollie was gone and the papers all said Hurley was going. Then Jay Williams tweets that Hurley has been talking to Calhoun. (and I get that national guys aren't plugged into local URI stuff. But they are plugged into national Calhoun stuff)

But, oh well.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Calhoun spent a couple of recent weeks with DH ??

Sounds kind of far fetched if our season was still going ??
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That does sound far fetched, but also questionable was Dan implicitly mentioning he spent "40 minutes at 1 practice" - it was so specific in a way intended to divert anyone from insinuating there was any advanced talks. Way too many data points that indicate the opposite. The least of which is that Calhoun owns a home in RI.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

the "40 minutes at 1 practice" response was rather prickly....
But, if he thinks no one thinks anything was happening earlier...then he really does think we're a bunch of dopes.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm sure Calhoun can find his way to Saunderstown.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Do we know when that 40 minute practice was ?? I thought it was early in the season ??
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I would think the fact that he's staying in RI in the summer, at least according to that one source, has to be kind of awkward for him.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ Totally...and I don't want to say "good!", but well...."Good!" :lol:
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I heard the same thing a couple weeks ago about the Calhoun connection. Makes your wonder about the clause in Cox's contract as well. As if laying the groundwork for Hurley's departure.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Who cares? He is gone, move on!
1 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

The current state of our program has removed any bad taste in my mouth about Hurley leaving. I don't have a deep-seated hatred of UConn and I'll be rooting for DH to succeed there.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

URI'21 wrote:The current state of our program has removed any bad taste in my mouth about Hurley leaving. I don't have a deep-seated hatred of UConn and I'll be rooting for DH to succeed there.
Except that their fans are a bunch of idiots.
2 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
URI'21 wrote:The current state of our program has removed any bad taste in my mouth about Hurley leaving. I don't have a deep-seated hatred of UConn and I'll be rooting for DH to succeed there.
Yeah, they really suck
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
Utmost respect for what Dan DID/DOES...not putting much stock in what he SAYS...
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It sure will be fun to watch them play. I think I will be rooting against UConn but I still love DH
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:
They really are the worst. I was scrolling through their message board this morning to see if there were any tidbits on Hurley/URI recruits. I’ve never seen a more arrogant, obnoxious and delusional fan base in my life. They make PC fans look amazing by comparison. And the way they continually disparage URI and our basketball program is confusing to say the least. They’re the ones that poached OUR coach, what could they possibly have against us??

I’ll never root for Hurley to succeed there. Never. Their fans deserve nothing but misery and disappointment.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NJRhodyFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
They really are the worst. I was scrolling through their message board this morning to see if there were any tidbits on Hurley/URI recruits. I’ve never seen a more arrogant, obnoxious and delusional fan base in my life. They make PC fans look amazing by comparison. And the way they continually disparage URI and our basketball program is confusing to say the least. They’re the ones that poached OUR coach, what could they possibly have against us??

I’ll never root for Hurley to succeed there. Never. Their fans deserve nothing but misery and disappointment.
They wanted our head coach, they wanted our assistant coach, they wanted our recruits and our players. But now that Cox is staying here, he made a small time move at a small time school. They've even resorted to making jokes about his last name. Truly a bunch of lowlifes there.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I thank Dan for what he did here.......he will be a pleasant memory.....like Penders and Harrick.....he could have been the most important coach in the history of the school.....that wasn't as important to him as it was to us......

...I hope Dave Cox becomes the most important coach in the history of our school.....and I hope he recruits kids who choose RI instead of providence, uconn and boston college......
5 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Someone go in there and bust their chops about losing 2 years in a row in women's hoop ???
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NJRhodyFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Will probably watch them, not rooting for or against, but mostly to see what they look like. Watched a few games last year and they were hard on the eyes...I mean, really hard to watch. Their fans are clearly living on the past if they think their team is better than Rhody's now. I'm not going to specifically root against Hurls, but am interested in seeing how much they change under him as the coach.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Nope would not go across the street to watch uConn

Hate dem dawgs from wasaaaaaay baaaaack!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:Nope would not go across the street to watch uConn

Hate dem dawgs from wasaaaaaay baaaaack!
Yep, they were enemy #2 behind PC for me, even ahead of UMass.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I have no desire to watch UConn. The only saving grace on their part is a coworker and general good guy was very apologetic about the whole thing and is very interested in/hoping that URI would continue on without missing a beat. He's been following them a bit as a fan of all New England teams (UConn first as a grad, but wants all the locals to do well). That has softened me because he's a good guy so I don't want him to be miserable...but not 100% hating UConn for his sake is about as far is it goes.

In a perfect world, Hurley will take them to the Elite 8 in 4 years, Coach K retires from Duke and DH leaves UConn for Duke.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

40 years from now...people on this board will be saying UConn can rot in hell...I remember '18.... :lol:
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:40 years from now...people on this board will be saying UConn can rot in hell...I remember '18.... :lol:
208, do you have teams you hate due to college rivalries?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:40 years from now...people on this board will be saying UConn can rot in hell...I remember '18.... :lol:
My #1 goal is to say that....because I'll be 101 years old.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
No...not that I can think of for college...other than the coaches, too much turnover to really get a good hate on...
And, for me, it's all about winning, so I usually get over it with a good 'scoreboard.' Just my sporting philosophy...

I used to really HATE the yankmes, until the Sox came back from 3-0. Still don't really like them, but the hate's gone...
Regardless of how much the Yankees (or the Pats for that matter) win...I'm ok knowing my baseball team had the biggest comeback ever over their (epic) choking rival, and my football team beat the "team of the century", in the most important game...twice. LOL...those things make me smile every time....

Life's too short to keep hating a vanquished foe...dilly dilly! Now, hatin' a team that you've never ever one-upped... seems more like a jealousy-fueled hate than anything else.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
My #1 goal is to say that....because I'll be 101 years old.
Well, Billyboy, here's hoping you make it! Cheers!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
No...not that I can think of for college...other than the coaches, too much turnover to really get a good hate on...
And, for me, it's all about winning, so I usually get over it with a good 'scoreboard.' Just my sporting philosophy...

I used to really HATE the yankmes, until the Sox came back from 3-0. Still don't really like them, but the hate's gone...
Regardless of how much the Yankees (or the Pats for that matter) win...I'm ok knowing my baseball team had the biggest comeback ever over their
(epic) choking rival, and my football team beat the "team of the century", in the most important game...twice. LOL...those things make me smile every time....

Life's too short to keep hating a vanquished foe...dilly dilly! Now, hatin' a team that you've never ever one-upped... feels more like a jealousy-fueled hate than anything else.
Sox fans hated the yankees forever, and they never won the WS for 86 years. Sometimes when you play teams, whose fans are dicks, that hate never ends.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need to beat Duke...just once when it counts.

My other favs [sorry 208 for one of them] the Yanks and Giants have won plenty.....
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
theblueram wrote:

Regardless of how much the Yankees (or the Pats for that matter) win...I'm ok knowing my baseball team had the biggest comeback ever over their
(epic) choking rival, and my football team beat the "team of the century", in the most important game...twice. LOL...those things make me smile every time....

Life's too short to keep hating a vanquished foe...dilly dilly! Now, hatin' a team that you've never ever one-upped... feels more like a jealousy-fueled hate than anything else.
Sox fans hated the yankees forever, and they never won the WS for 86 years. Sometimes when you play teams, whose fans are dicks, that hate never ends.
And, I TOTALLY felt that way til 2004 - and suffered through about half that 86 years. It seemed like it would NEVER end, like it was totaly impossible, and I HATED those guys. Then, when we won, in such a cool way, it seemed to pull the yankme fans down off that high horse. It might have also helped that, at the time, we were living in CT, right on the dividing line of Yanks/Red Sox...We had both NESN and YES and the fanhood in our town and surrounding area was pretty much split right down the middle. I had <gulp> friends that were Yankee fans...quite a few actually... and they weren't all dix, and man did they seem humbled (which was kinda cool)...Since then, haven't really been able to muster up a huge hater... Just WIN and that's all that matters :lol: :lol:
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

And, I TOTALLY felt that way til 2004 - and suffered through about half that 86 years. It seemed like it would NEVER end, like it was totaly impossible, and I HATED those guys. Then, when we won, in such a cool way, it seemed to pull the yankme fans down off that high horse. It might have also helped that, at the time, we were living in CT, right on the dividing line of Yanks/Red Sox...We had both NESN and YES and the fanhood in our town and surrounding area was pretty much split right down the middle. I had <gulp> friends that were Yankee fans...quite a few actually... and they weren't all dix, and man did they seem humbled (which was kinda cool)...Since then, haven't really been able to muster up a huge hater... Just WIN and that's all that matters :lol: :lol:
As a baseball fan, you may (or may not) be interested in this.
My father was the manager of a.minor league baseball team, The Cranston Chiefs, in 1946.
He had an idea to bring in some professional players who were in the Navy, stationed in the Groton, Ct.
One of the players he recruited was Yogi Berra. He even gave him an alias name to play under, since he was unable to play under his real name. They became best friends.
My father was a big Yankees fan. I grew up Sox fan, but could never dislike The Yanks.
Bet there aren't a lot us us around. Lol
3 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Not sure why people keep saying DH to Duke is a possibility down the road. I don't think there is any chance DH would ever take that job because it is Bobby's Alma Mater. I could be very wrong because that would be unprecedented for someone to turn down a job like that, but I just don't see it.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There will be way better coaches than DH when the Duke job ever comes open !!!!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Bobby gets Arizona State to the top of the PAC12 and goes deep into the NCAAT consistently....he'll be a candidate for the Duke job.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Duke is on Dan’s list. But I don’t see him jumping around especially if UConn works out.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:Duke is on Dan’s list. But I don’t see him jumping around especially if UConn works out.
there's a Hurley that'll be coaching Duke, but it certainly isn't Danny...
1 x
---
---