The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:It's not Cyril either....he's with Tate all the way.....

Fatts not sure........we can't afford to lose him and Adams.....
Who said we were losing Adams? He's a Cox recruit.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

WPRI streamed Thorr when Hurley left.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It is possible that Fatts might want to go with Dan...but would DH tell him to stay at URI? I think maybe.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hopefully it's someone who never plays like Tertsea
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I mentioned Rice's name last week. Many of those at Rutgers at the time, including Cox, think the Rice thing was overblown. He'd be a solid assistant. (Ace might have a few thoughts on this). Cox is also looking for someone in the DMV area. He'll continue to use his connections there but needs an assistant who can be out recruiting that area too. A couple of possibilities: Nolan Smith, special assistant at Duke, from Md.; Jamill Jones at Wake Forest, former DC AAU.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not sure why Dowtin's post from the book of James about asking God for wisdom...something he likely does every day... gets taken as 'he wouldn't leave'? I HOPE that's the case, but don't see the connection...
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Iggy1979 wrote:I mentioned Rice's name last week. Many of those at Rutgers at the time, including Cox, think the Rice thing was overblown. He'd be a solid assistant. (Ace might have a few thoughts on this). Cox is also looking for someone in the DMV area. He'll continue to use his connections there but needs an assistant who can be out recruiting that area too. A couple of possibilities: Nolan Smith, special assistant at Duke, from Md.; Jamill Jones at Wake Forest, former DC AAU.
Nolan Smith played for DC Assault AAU when Cox was the coach I believe.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

The only thing adams did was he liked harris's tweet about only playing for cox. But only sighting i saw from him. But he also isnt on twitter much.

And i also thought he was a cox recruit?
1 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Gil Biruta also probably has a few thoughts on Rice as well....I'll pass
3 x
Clapton is God
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Not sure why Dowtin's post from the book of James about asking God for wisdom...something he likely does every day... gets taken as 'he wouldn't leave'? I HOPE that's the case, but don't see the connection...
Dowtin has been getting looks from NBA scouts, I think it'd be really dumb for him to sit out a year at this point of his career.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Why would anyone leave?
1 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Not sure why Dowtin's post from the book of James about asking God for wisdom...something he likely does every day... gets taken as 'he wouldn't leave'? I HOPE that's the case, but don't see the connection...
I am not the world's foremost biblical scholar, but my read on that was that he was saying Coach Cox was being rewarded for his giving generously to others without finding fault. Granted, I have never had even a passing interest in reading the bible and find the Old Dude language it uses to be pretty difficult to follow, so maybe that is not at all what he was saying.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Here's hope Ace comes on soon to give her take. In general, not about Biblical quotes (or if that's what she wants to do, that's cool too).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Nolan Smith would be awesome. I think Durant and those guys from that area regularly talk about him as an inspiration.
Attachments
now-yous-cant-leave[1].jpg
now-yous-cant-leave[1].jpg (55.96 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote:
I am not the world's foremost biblical scholar, but my read on that was that he was saying Coach Cox was being rewarded for his giving generously to others without finding fault. Granted, I have never had even a passing interest in reading the bible and find the Old Dude language it uses to be pretty difficult to follow, so maybe that is not at all what he was saying.
The picture is a picture of Jeff and Dave. Also, anyone who has ever met Jeff and his family (I honorarily adopted myself in, me and Grandma D are tight) knows how much they love everything about the culture here at URI - and value his education. He's not leaving before he graduates.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:
Also Coach Cox is in the background of the picture. Jeff is very close to Coach Cox. He has known him well for over 5 years.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
considering they found the cash for both of those as well as $2 mill a year for Hurley, I'd say your chicken little fears are unfounded.
Considering that Thorr hasn't committed to that being true for coaches other than Hurley when asked the question directly, I'd say the concern is very much founded.
...we didn't have the resources to do so until now.

That's like someone talking about buying a house at 30 but someone else saying they're full of shit because they didn't buy a house when they were 23.

We didn't have the money to buy out Jim Baron - where the hell were we going to find practice facility money? We had to cut swimming, diving, and gymnastics as sports - but you think we had money for charter flights?
We didn't have the resources two weeks ago but we have them now? Thorr was asked a direct question two weeks ago at the press conference if the donations and enhancements were still happening and he didn't commit.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think Tertsea and Layssard have been waiting to see who the coach is to see if they have a place in the program. I'd be surprised if both stay.
Fatts is a little bit of a wildcard, although I don't think he'd be happy sitting out a year.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Considering that Thorr hasn't committed to that being true for coaches other than Hurley when asked the question directly, I'd say the concern is very much founded.

That's like someone talking about buying a house at 30 but someone else saying they're full of shit because they didn't buy a house when they were 23.

We didn't have the money to buy out Jim Baron - where the hell were we going to find practice facility money? We had to cut swimming, diving, and gymnastics as sports - but you think we had money for charter flights?
We didn't have the resources two weeks ago but we have them now? Thorr was asked a direct question two weeks ago at the press conference if the donations and enhancements were still happening and he didn't commit.
Yeah he clearly wasn't committing matching Dan's salary to the new candidate at a press conference. Everything else is still moving forward. Athletics is keenly aware of what investments are needed to continue winning at this level.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Iggy1979 wrote:I think Tertsea and Layssard have been waiting to see who the coach is to see if they have a place in the program. I'd be surprised if both stay.
Fatts is a little bit of a wildcard, although I don't think he'd be happy sitting out a year.
Fatts was 50/50 based on who the coach was going to be.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

If there is someone or 2 leaving my guess is Layssard (maybe was hoping for someone else for coach to get more playing time with others leaving) and Preston is the 2nd one...... or maybe they might ask someone like Tertsea to transfer (to a lower conference).
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Who knows what Fatts thinks, but he has to like his chances in the A10 with Dowtin and Langevine coming back with the rest of them. The entire group really have to feel confident coming back.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
The picture is a picture of Jeff and Dave. Also, anyone who has ever met Jeff and his family (I honorarily adopted myself in, me and Grandma D are tight) knows how much they love everything about the culture here at URI - and value his education. He's not leaving before he graduates.
Awesome!
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Blue Man wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Yeah he clearly wasn't committing matching Dan's salary to the new candidate at a press conference. Everything else is still moving forward. Athletics is keenly aware of what investments are needed to continue winning at this level.
My understanding from his post-Hurley presser is that all other enhancements are continuing (renovation of Tootell West into a practice facility, etc) but obviously he wasn't going to commit to pay the next HC 2mil without knowing who it was first. What's the phrase? "Salary commensurate with experience?"
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

At this point, Cox' staff is way more important than the fifth scholarship. He needs two quality assistants, preferably one with head coaching experience. Boswell will stay at #3. He also needs to replace Eric and Tripp, who were the two best video guys they had. Cox is in a good position here. He's been on the road as an assistant forever and knows plenty of other assistants who would love to join him at URI. His phone is ringing!
7 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Andre Berry for video coordinator. Kid has a smooth touch!
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:At this point, Cox' staff is way more important than the fifth scholarship. He needs two quality assistants, preferably one with head coaching experience. Boswell will stay at #3. He also needs to replace Eric and Tripp, who were the two best video guys they had. Cox is in a good position here. He's been on the road as an assistant forever and knows plenty of other assistants who would love to join him at URI. His phone is ringing!

I hope that Thorr follows through with increased compensation to the staff as had been floated to keep Hurley. Money plays a big part in attracting and maintaining a quality staff. With the increased revenues and decreased head coaching salary (at least to start), this should still happen. All aspects of the program need to be continually upgraded to sustain success.
5 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I would assume player attendance at the Friday press conference would give us some sort of indicator on who is staying and going right?

Also, is it open to the public or just press. i would like to be there.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ok let me clear the air on my post, since this place runs wild with stuff...anything said is obviously conjecture, until it happens. No one knows what a player or recruit is thinking 100%. The comment made was that it wasn't a 100% guarantee there would be no attrition with players even if Cox was the guy we hired. I assume that means there is some rumbling with a couple guys who were waiting to see what happens. Now we will see....I would personally hate it to be Fatts, that kid is so freaking fun to watch. I also do not see a scenario where Dan in any way tries to poach. He respects Cox too much to do that, and though others don't think this is true, he really does love URI and wants to see them do well. He doesn't want to see it turn into a heaping pile of shit, for no other reason than how it reflects on him, let alone his friendship with and loyalty to Cox and former players.
8 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BleedBlue87 wrote:I would assume player attendance at the Friday press conference would give us some sort of indicator on who is staying and going right?

Holton and B.Baron were at Dan's PC.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......regarding the presser, I am going, assume open to public, the DH one was.....about players attending or not, Billy Baron was at the DH one......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:I would assume player attendance at the Friday press conference would give us some sort of indicator on who is staying and going right?

Holton and B.Baron were at Dan's PC.

Holton was just there to videotape it.
17 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Fatts is the key to the highway at least in the short term......

Mandatory retention, absolutely mandatory!!!

Exactly why I posted his GIF above!!!!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

hrstrat57 wrote:Fatts is the key to the highway at least in the short term......

Mandatory retention, absolutely mandatory!!!

Exactly why I posted his GIF above!!!!

Fatts just like adams was recruited by cox. I dont see why either would flee.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One thing that some don't evidently realize, is that just because a player was primarily recruited by Cox, doesn't mean that they will automatically stay if Cox becomes the HC.

The HC at the time, who usually closes the deal, is a factor too, obviously. Hopefully in this case everyone will stay, but someone could leave too.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Andre Berry for video coordinator. Kid has a smooth touch!
I bet he gives European ball a shot.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What gets me nervous is Hurely’s quote about Fatts which was something along the lines of “it’s going to be very special for me and him these next 3 years...”
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:What gets me nervous is Hurely’s quote about Fatts which was something along the lines of “it’s going to be very special for me and him these next 3 years...”
And Dan already knew he was going to UCONN when he said that.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:What gets me nervous is Hurely’s quote about Fatts which was something along the lines of “it’s going to be very special for me and him these next 3 years...”
And Dan already knew he was going to UCONN when he said that.
That would be wrong its not funny.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fatts would have to sit a year.....so that doesn't hold water.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dan also said in the interview from his home that he told the current players and recruits they should all stay. I don’t see Dan taking any transfers from URI.
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Knowing what we know now, and watching how this entire Hurley-to-UCONN situation played out in front of our very eyes, why would you put any stock in the words that have come out of that man's mouth? He did a lot of great things for our program and I was sorry to see him go, but he proved to be somewhat of a phony with the whole "my team is my family" and "it's all about loyalty and commitment" nonsense.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I trust Thorr to make the right choice. If its David Cox, he will have to make the transition from the supporting, good-guy assistant coach to the players, to the demanding, tough-love head coach. Jeff, Fatts and Cyril will be lucky to play here in another NCAAT game. URI was re-building even if DH stayed here, so he moved on to a place that realizes its a rebuilding job for much more money.

It will be interesting to see the buy-out in Cox's contract.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm also fairly confident that UConn's roster will not have anyone on it next year that we currently expect to be on our roster. That said, the universal laws of college basketball dictate that you should always expect some non-graduation related roster turnover year over year, and even more so when you have a coaching change. We were not immune from the universal laws of college basketball when it came to a bigger program coming for our coach, so no reason to expect we will be immune from them with respect to roster turnover. The important this is avoiding a mass exodus that would gut the roster, and at this point I consider that possibility to be very remote.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

If we lose Russell ( again, unacceptable) my expectations for this team the next two years drops immensely.

As I’ve said repeatedly on the forums he is an explosive dynamic player that separates URI from the rest of the A10.

Key to the highway!

Let’s Go Rhody
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Russell is key. Not really sure what the apprehension specifically related to him is all about unless there is subtext I'm not picking up on. He's in a great situation here. Is going to play 30+ minutes per game and lead the team in FG attempts for the next three years on a team that should contend for league titles with the coach that recruited him. If that turns out to not be to his liking, it would be a pretty big surprise. I guess stranger things have happened, but I don't see a reason to be super worried about it at this point.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

5 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UConn fans reaction to the Cox announcement can be best described as sour grapes and calling the hire as a small time play to keep recruits. Never underestimate their role in negative rumor mongering.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I follow Fatts on twitter and expect he will suppress my fear shortly.

There is a very active fake Fatts twitter account so be careful out there....
1 x