The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by rambone 78 »

So as candidates get the word....we'll know something sooner I would guess.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Shaolin Swat wrote:For reference, this was the initial tweet that Mid-Major Madness was responding to. The mention of Dooley was a tongue-in-cheek response to their intial tweet - indicating that whatever they predicted, the opposite would happen

Yep, just some self-deprecating humor. Nothing to see here.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Excruciating process
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Obadiah wrote:
Cameron_Dollar wrote: To say we averaged 4254 is an exaggeration when capacity was 3800.
I think clearly you are the one who uses hyperbole as part of your reasoning. If you followed my posts, you would know that, unlike you, I don't bull shit, so URI averaging 4,254 was not an exaggeration on my part, but a fact. If you didn't show intellectual laziness you might have checked that out before you spoke. None of us need to be reminded of the capacity of Keaney Gym, what we need is for you to think more deeply about the important issue of the next URI coach and using that more thoughtful process you can then also figure out how that average could be. Hint on the attendance average: the answer can be found in Providence.
Obi if I remember correctly one of those games in Providence we scored 10 points against Temple in the first half. Ugggghhhh the days we never want to return too.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

To anyone questioning why no other team is kicking the tires with Cox, it could be because everyone already knows that if URI doesn’t hire him he will follow Hurley.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Maybe Dan's staff is not actually full because Tom Moore is now Dan's personal assistant/pet/caddy and will not get a formal title or salary? Just a thought.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: A bit?

You guys do know that no one has the foggiest idea of whether Cox will be good, bad, indifferent. Same with Dooley. Everyone is just fitting their facts to support an opinion. All you can hope for is that Thorr had a credible search and he tried to get the best he could to URI. Fate takes it from there. I wouldn't bet a wooden nickel on either side of whether the next guy makes it five years. Because coaching is hard. Hiring coaches is even harder.
Who would you hire?
Not to be evasive but this is sort of my point. I don't know. I guess message boards are for guys to say "This guy should be the next hire...anyone else is dumb!". That just dismisses 50+ years of history in college hoops. Pick a year and google "college basketball hires". There will be a a ton of articles and talking heads grading the hires. Fast forward five years and half or more of the "good hires" are already canned. I guess I wish more people were given a chance here but maybe that's just because they were good at keeping the lid on it. Whoever it is, we won't know for five years. If I was in the room for the interviews, I would like to think I would be able to give an informed opinion but, short of that, I just don't know. Anyone who says they know who it should be is full of mularkey. Coach K was a early 30s Army coach who took over an ACC team that had been to the Final Four a few years earlier. I am sure their fans went nuts. And then there are hires that seem perfect and then flame out.
If that's your stance though, wouldn't Cox be the guy you support? Because if you're of the mindset that an assistant coach's background can be a bit of a crapshoot or not informative to how he'll perform as a head coach, then the other factors - keeping the roster and recruits, not having to pay out a bonus - should weigh more heavily with you.

I also think that just saying, "Hey, I don't know!" is a bit of a cop-out, if you're going to weigh in at all. URI has to hire someone. This isn't like, say, deciding to move on from your current girlfriend because you're not completely sold on your long-term viability. (There isn't a huge downside to being single, after all.) I can understand the desire to not hire a coach until the perfect candidate arises, but there are practical concerns with that, and I don't think you gain any benefit by, say, extending the coaching search for another couple of weeks and interviewing non-conventional candidates. The job opened up in a normal time for jobs like this to open up, and unless you want them to go -really- left field on this one, the four candidates mentioned in the interview thread strike me as the "normal" ones you're going to get for a position like this.
3 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

It is such a RI in general thing.. but in hiring you always talk to the person who you are offering first to make sure they accept.. then call the others to say thanks for applying. Just in case someone says no surprisingly...
3 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote: At some point you have to trust your own analysis and instinct if you want to have an opinion.
This is fair but it at least needs to be informed by something, right? So, I totally get roster continuity, etc. What I don't have is any of the, hopefully, 100 conversations Thorr has had over the last two weeks. The 100 background phone calls he has, hopefully, made. So, the pro hiring of Cox is being judged in a vacuum. I won't be pissed if he is hired. I will be happy because I trust Thorr and who wants to take a step back? My point all along was just that I hated the just give it to Cox and be done with it vibe. There is absolutely zero doubt that the idea of Hiring Cox is the best one. But, that doesn't let all of that other context inform your opinion. Because you don't have any of that context. Neither do I. Only the trust in Thorr that he did his due diligence.
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

urirx wrote:It is such a RI in general thing.. but in hiring you always talk to the person who you are offering first to make sure they accept.. then call the others to say thanks for applying. Just in case someone says no surprisingly...
That struck me as weird too - but also makes me lean towards thinking that the internal candidate is getting hired if that's the process that they're following.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Moore was set to make 500K this season....150K from URI and 350K from his previous job at Quinnipiac...but that was the last year for that.

So he'll make his 500K one more year...and then he gets whatever he gets from UConn alone in 2019-20.

My guess it's quite a bit more than 150K......he did his job here along with Calhoun so he will get rewarded....good boy 'lil Tommy
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe the thinking is that it is worse to hear that you didn't get the job via social media than it would be to hear that you got the job via social media. Plus someone that didn't get the job is far less likely to go to social media about it anyways. One way that we would find out if Cox didn't get the job, though, is a flurry of cryptic meltdown posts from players and recruits.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote: Who would you hire?
Not to be evasive but this is sort of my point. I don't know. I guess message boards are for guys to say "This guy should be the next hire...anyone else is dumb!". That just dismisses 50+ years of history in college hoops. Pick a year and google "college basketball hires". There will be a a ton of articles and talking heads grading the hires. Fast forward five years and half or more of the "good hires" are already canned. I guess I wish more people were given a chance here but maybe that's just because they were good at keeping the lid on it. Whoever it is, we won't know for five years. If I was in the room for the interviews, I would like to think I would be able to give an informed opinion but, short of that, I just don't know. Anyone who says they know who it should be is full of mularkey. Coach K was a early 30s Army coach who took over an ACC team that had been to the Final Four a few years earlier. I am sure their fans went nuts. And then there are hires that seem perfect and then flame out.
If that's your stance though, wouldn't Cox be the guy you support? Because if you're of the mindset that an assistant coach's background can be a bit of a crapshoot or not informative to how he'll perform as a head coach, then the other factors - keeping the roster and recruits, not having to pay out a bonus - should weigh more heavily with you.

I also think that just saying, "Hey, I don't know!" is a bit of a cop-out, if you're going to weigh in at all. URI has to hire someone. This isn't like, say, deciding to move on from your current girlfriend because you're not completely sold on your long-term viability. (There isn't a huge downside to being single, after all.) I can understand the desire to not hire a coach until the perfect candidate arises, but there are practical concerns with that, and I don't think you gain any benefit by, say, extending the coaching search for another couple of weeks and interviewing non-conventional candidates. The job opened up in a normal time for jobs like this to open up, and unless you want them to go -really- left field on this one, the four candidates mentioned in the interview thread strike me as the "normal" ones you're going to get for a position like this.
It's definitely a cop out but I think the honesty of admitting a cop out is better than fire hosing opinions. What is it we know right now? Cox, Dooley, Becker, and Shrewsberry? I would love, love, love to go Shrewsberry. Brad Stevens bringing him from place to place is good enough for me. Isn't that a pretty good pro? He also has high end recruiting experience and a short stint as a head guy. My gut says go with the highest ceiling and that is Shrewsberry but that's just looking at resumes. Then Dooley. Then Cox. If you were weighing roster continuity more, I would have Cox leap frog those guys. But, even those last sentences seem fraudulent. I like an opinion as much as the next guy but it's just throwing darts. I'll be happy with whoever it is, if I am being honest.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Or...is Tom Moore the guy between Hurls and 'that man behind the curtain'? buh-wahahahahaha
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

And everything just went quiet. Was hoping to hear this resolved before i pass out (working overnights). Can't wait for this to be over!
4 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

TruePoint wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks this process is idiotic?? Assuming Cox is the choice, what happens if they inform the other candidates they didn't receive the job, and then upon contacting Cox as part of their final phone call, he displays trepidation...or wants to renegotiate part of his deal...or throws some other wrench in the wheel that prevents the deal from going through. What then? The process should be happening in reverse. Inform Cox that he's your choice, get confirmation that he's accepting the offer, and THEN you notify the other candidates.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Based on the tea leaves falling from Hurley’s camp, I’m 98% sure it’s going to be Cox.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NJRhodyFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks this process is idiotic?? Assuming Cox is the choice, what happens if they inform the other candidates they didn't receive the job, and then upon contacting Cox as part of their final phone call, he displays trepidation...or wants to renegotiate part of his deal...or throws some other wrench in the wheel that prevents the deal from going through. What then? The process should be happening in reverse. Inform Cox that he's your choice, get confirmation that he's accepting the offer, and THEN you notify the other candidates.
I don't think we should view the hiring process of a D1 basketball coach the same as a normal job hiring process. Sure I guess a coach could back out at the last minute for some reason, and its happened a time or two before, but you don't get to this point in the process without already knowing where everyone stands and having terms agreed upon in advance.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NJRhodyFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Agree. Very strange.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Sort of ridiculous. Are they watching Law and Order reruns this morning? First of all you tell the guy who got the job that he has it. After those 10 minutes of patting him on the back over the phone, you make 3-5 quick calls to the people who didn't get it. This whole process is very weird. I wonder if there is a massive curve ball coming.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Snag?

Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It seems that tweet should have said announce and not notify
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm not sure I understand the concern here. Is there some deadline they missed? Just because it was reported that they would announce today we're deciding that they are taking too long?
2 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Bracing for impact
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Report comes out saying "the new head coach will be notified later this afternoon". 12:01pm. Keaney Blue gets no announcement and questioning of the entire process begins!
2 x
alfabetsoop
Jim Eitner

Unread post by alfabetsoop »

They are really churning down in Kingston...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:I'm not sure I understand the concern here. Is there some deadline they missed? Just because it was reported that they would announce today we're deciding that they are taking too long?
Ha exactly. On one hand, I do not really understand what is happening right now that they haven't announced anything yet (like, what are the principles doing at this exact moment?), but on the other hand, this is the timeline they gave at the outset and have not deviated from it to this point. I'm sure there is some explanation that would make sense if we knew, but we don't, so we will just pace anxiously until the announcement is made, I guess.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

adam914 wrote:I'm not sure I understand the concern here. Is there some deadline they missed? Just because it was reported that they would announce today we're deciding that they are taking too long?
I don't have an issue with the timeline, I'm questioning the process they're following to finalize the hiring. While not likely, what happens if they make the final call to Cox (assuming he's the guy) to offer him the position and he blindsides them and declines the offer. Now you go back to one of the previously rejected candidates and say what..."Hey good news, the guy we REALLY wanted to hire just declined our offer, but we think you''ll be a solid second choice!" I don't know...just makes for an awkward scenario in my opinion. As I mentioned earlier, it would make more sense to run the process in reverse.
3 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

DC_Rams wrote:Based on the tea leaves falling from Hurley’s camp, I’m 98% sure it’s going to be Cox.
Kind of nervous that the only area missing recruiting wise is the DMV for UConn. Cox could be plugged right in there.

Freeman wasn’t an actual assistant on a horrible UConn team, so I highly doubt DH will promote him. He’ll probably stay on the staff in the same capacity as before. There will be one more hire for DH. Hopefully Cox and Boswell are a package deal because there isn’t room for both in CT.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hey, current students! Any David Cox sightings on campus today????
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NJRhodyFan wrote:
I don't have an issue with the timeline, I'm questioning the process they're following to finalize the hiring. While not likely, what happens if they make the final call to Cox (assuming he's the guy) to offer him the position and he blindsides them and declines the offer. Now you go back to one of the previously rejected candidates and say what..."Hey good news, the guy we REALLY wanted to hire just declined our offer, but we think you''ll be a solid second choice!" I don't know...just makes for an awkward scenario in my opinion. As I mentioned earlier, it would make more sense to run the process in reverse.
That kind of happened at UMass last year, but it turns out the second choice could coach.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's not that it's taking too long. It's that the candidates NOT being hired are being notified first. Just seems odd. It's like Survivor and one by one candidates are being voted off of Coach's Island until there remains the lone survivor of the search. It just seems backwards.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Do we get the information about practice facility/upgrades with the hiring of the coach?
Last edited by Rhodymob05 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
alfabetsoop
Jim Eitner

Keep in mind an agreement in principle with the eventual coach is in almost every instance in place before the other candidates are notified.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just tweet Joe K and ask if he meant anounce the coach this afternoon rather than notify the new coach
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RF1 wrote:To compare Harrick at the time URI hired him to the Rick Pitino of today is ludicrous. Pitino has ten times the baggage and all his transgressions are not even yet fully known. Harrick never had his NCAA title vacated. Anyone that can't see the differences is blind to reality.
So to clarify, you were OK with Harrick's hiring? You think he was let go at UCLA because of an expense report solely? But you would not be OK with Slick Rick?

The comparison is not ludicrous. Both coaches in the later stages of their coaching career, both had tarnished endings at high major programs, both won NCAA titles, and both dogged by charges of NCAA violations, some proven and some not. Like Harrick, Pitino is looking for a mid-major job to get re-established in college hoops. What's ludicrous about the comparison? You can compare them and at the same time, they can be different. I didn't say they were identical.
0 x
alfabetsoop
Jim Eitner

alfabetsoop wrote:They are really churning down in Kingston...
Really churning
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

As Withnail famously said in "Withnail and I":

"We want the finest head coach in the world, we want him here, and we want him now!'
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I'm sitting here with Twitter alerts set. Same nervous stomach I'd have before taking an exam. Let's announce this soon!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
Ha exactly. On one hand, I do not really understand what is happening right now that they haven't announced anything yet (like, what are the principles doing at this exact moment?), but on the other hand, this is the timeline they gave at the outset and have not deviated from it to this point. I'm sure there is some explanation that would make sense if we knew, but we don't, so we will just pace anxiously until the announcement is made, I guess.
RIght, I totally get being anxious and all that, but I guess I don't get the need to jump to conclusions that there is something deeper going on and therefore questioning the whole process (not meaning you here, just in general). It could be something extremely simple like they are waiting on the press release to be finished. Maybe trying to confirm some last minute details about media availability for tomorrow. Someone earlier I think mentioned the players are doing a community event today, maybe they want to wait until they are back and can talk to them first.

I am always hesitant to bring this up around here as to not try and sound arrogant or like I am some expert or whatever, but I happen to work in sports and deal with announcements like this all the time, and you would be absolutely amazed at how many little mundane things hold up an official announcement being made on personnel decisions. Like for example it could be something as simple as Thorr's train from Boston this morning got delayed and he wants to be in his office to field calls when the decision is announced.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I have to believe they've agreed in principal with whatever coach they are hiring, they've let that person know he has the job and they've told him it won't be announced until after all others are notified they did not get the position. I would not take Joe K's tweet literally word for word.
4 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

How about leaking something like.....there will be an announcement today at 3:00PM.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote:.......I was less on edge for my kids births......
.......my wife wasn’t in labor this long......now this is interrupting my afternoon nap......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Just to make myself feel better - AD Bjorn said hopes the process would take 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. That was 13 days ago. Any announcement today would be ahead of that schedule.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

steviep123 wrote:Just to make myself feel better - AD Bjorn said hopes the process would take 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. That was 13 days ago. Any announcement today would be ahead of that schedule.
I was told there wouldn't be any math on this board.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Just breathe. Lol, home stretch, we will know today.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......anyone got a sound bite of the Final Jeopardy music......?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Anyyyyy minute now.
1 x
GO RAMS
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Undercover Friar just tweeted that it will be Cox. So is that official?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PeteRI wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Just to make myself feel better - AD Bjorn said hopes the process would take 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. That was 13 days ago. Any announcement today would be ahead of that schedule.
I was told there wouldn't be any math on this board.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”