Coaches Being Interviewed 4/3/18

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Coaches Being Interviewed 4/3/18

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Was Shrewsberry the main recruiter at Butler? What was his role exactly on those great teams?
Would have recruited/coached Nored, Hayward, Mack and Purdue had a ton of good recruits from 2011-13. Thought he was a really interesting candidate from jump street.
I agree he is interesting, but my issue is the lack of recruiting experience in this part of the country. Until he got to the Celtics, he basically spent his entire life in Indiana.

Also, are you less concerned about Shrewsberry's lack of head coaching experience than Cox's?
Well, he has been a head coach so there's that. And there's the fact (can't believe that I am typing this again) that I would have no problem with Cox being hired.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Anyone else hearing that the decision is being pushed back a week?
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody74 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Anyone else hearing that the decision is being pushed back a week?
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!
Not happening.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dooley cancelled his interview. Or URI cancelled it, not as likely.

You think he knew he wasn't getting the job?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208 must be on some really good shit. Haha
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote:Why are you guys making up baseless last minute rumors?
To help pass time? :lol:
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

RamIt! wrote:Ashley Howard's name now being thrown in the mix?
Not for nothing, if that's true and Howard is even just half the coach/recruiter that Jay Wright is, I would be sold.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: Would have recruited/coached Nored, Hayward, Mack and Purdue had a ton of good recruits from 2011-13. Thought he was a really interesting candidate from jump street.
I agree he is interesting, but my issue is the lack of recruiting experience in this part of the country. Until he got to the Celtics, he basically spent his entire life in Indiana.

Also, are you less concerned about Shrewsberry's lack of head coaching experience than Cox's?
Well, he has been a head coach so there's that. And there's the fact (can't believe that I am typing this again) that I would have no problem with Cox being hired.
He coached in the NAIA. I wouldn't use that as a differentiater.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

.....and how exactly could Shrewsberry work with the C’s about to enter the NBA playoffs?

He’d have to hit the recruiting road immediately to fill a roster with legit D1 athletes - likely mostly JUCOs and transfers....

Sorry, nice story but not passing the sniff test...

Perhaps there is a huge surprise looming that would actually work?

The lid is still tightly on. I got nothing.

It was Cox or Pitino but I’m spidey sensing something else is going on....

Ashley Howard has already been linked to LaSalle by Zags
Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Dooley cancelled his interview. Or URI cancelled it, not as likely.

You think he knew he wasn't getting the job?
He was told he wasn't getting the job. ECU had agreed to wait and let him play out the process with URI.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ashley Howard was under consideration for an interview...then he wasn't.....as far as I know.

57, some of us are seeing ghosts popping up all over the place....it's the waiting that drives men mad......everything is still on schedule to happen tomorrow....

I would love to hear something later today, but not expecting it. If the others are being told they aren't getting the job, then call it now.

Interviews should be over VERY soon, if not already.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think once they've cleared whatever procedural hurdles they have they will get the word out.

I don't know if anyone other than Dooley was told he was not getting the job. The only reason the Dooley thing is out there is because he hung up the phone with URI, called ECU and accepted their job. If it wasn't for that, nobody would know anything happened. So impossible to say what is going on with other candidates right now.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote:Ashley Howard was under consideration for an interview...then he wasn't.....as far as I know.

57, some of us are seeing ghosts popping up all over the place....it's the waiting that drives men mad......everything is still on schedule to happen tomorrow....

I would love to hear something later today, but not expecting it. If the others are being told they aren't getting the job, then call it now.

In other words, Ashley Howard is Gone with the Wind.
1 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

If URI is having to jerk around other coaches because of 'process' ... it doesn't make us look good...
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

josephski wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:
josephski wrote:
Yea American looks like they're really stepping it up. With Hurley at Uconn, Hardaway at Memphis, McKie at Temple and now Dooley going to ECU it looks like the American could easily pull away from the A10 in conference strength.
Is this serious?
You think it's already obvious the American is better?

I think what makes the AAC better is already there.

I don't think that Coaching list scares anyone. I think Penny will be better than DH.

I think the only thing that signals strength in college basketball is when established programs or conferences hire away from established programs or conferences. I.e. Buzz Williams at Vteach. Chris Mack to Louisville. Roy Williams to UNC. Those are signals. Hiring Dooley from FGCU to ECU doesn't move the needle.

Hiring DH away from URI moves the northeast/UConn/A10 needle. But Idk about that guy. He is no magician. Most situations have so many ways that they can go wrong and for them to go right is too difficult. URI found the sauce but the fit was right. The timing was right. URI's blank canvas was right. There is a reason coaches who get to the mountain top at multiple places are revered and recognized for it. Most cant do it.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unfortunately state hiring rules force their hand. Private schools don't have that problem.

Of course what are the rules at UConn? Did they interview anyone else in case Dan didn't take the job? I had heard they did, or were going to.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

He coached in the NAIA. I wouldn't use that as a differentiater.
Good thing you are not making this hiring decision. An NAIA coach still has to assemble a staff, make executive decisions, manage people, etc. It matters. It is a resource for Thorr to be able to call his former boss and add multiple data points.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Ashley Howard to LaSalle would certainly kick the Big 5 back in business

Could keep the Explorers solidly in the A10 too, I likey!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Ashley Howard was under consideration for an interview...then he wasn't.....as far as I know.

That’s Ashley Wilkes or Leslie Howard. But good reference!
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Coach won't matter if they don't have the money. It's not a BB problem, it's an institutional problem.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

I know. I figured I'd combine the two.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: In other words, Ashley Howard is Gone with the Wind.
I'm guessing that Ashley's mom did the same.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Coach won't matter if they don't have the money. It's not a BB problem, it's an institutional problem.
Bone ya gots to learn how to use the quote button.....

Top right. Looks like this “

:)
1 x
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody74 wrote: That’s Ashley Wilkes or Leslie Howard. But good reference!
I'm guessing that Ashley's mom did the same.
Maybe one day he'll get the Butler gig.
1 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
MrRamsDen76
Michael Andersen

Unread post by MrRamsDen76 »

Rhett Butler ?
1 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

hurley just hired an asst. read that for what it is worth
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It's worth nothing
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."