The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by bigappleram »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
..."Jay Wright is not walking through those doors" Although...maybe, maybe that's why they waited to do interviews until today...because he was busy yesterday???
Nova didn't know what they had when Wright first came through. Same with Duke and Coach K and UConn with Calhoun. I would rather take that shot on Cox being the next big time coach then some under investigation coach who would only come here because no one else will take him.
I was not and am not a fan of Jim Harrick. And I'm just asking the question but what is the difference between URI hiring Jim Harrick (and his baggage) and Rick Pitino (and his baggage)? If you were OK with the Harrick hire, then shouldn't you be OK with Pitino?
There is a pretty big difference in terms of the accusations laid against them - one guy falsified an expense report and bought a kid a lobster, the other guy purportedly oversaw an established practice of having hookers host new recruits and potentially funneled 5-6 figure sums of money to incoming FR.
Not all errors in judgment or ethics are created equal.
3 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Rothstein says Dooley to ECU isn’t a done deal now. Something may be brewing here...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I'm hearing former Rhody great (and one of my all time faves) Pappy Owens is VERY interested in joining the staff if Cox is hired. They have a relationship and I know he speaks highly of Coach Cox.
12 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I’m just thinking out loud wondering how Thorr feels about potential URI student athletes throwing the gauntlet down on Twitter.

I know I’m old school and really can’t wrap my brain around the twitter culture but still.....could it be weighing on his mind?

Tough job glad it ain’t me.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:I'm hearing former Rhody great (and one of my all time faves) Pappy Owens is VERY interested in joining the staff if Cox is hired. They have a relationship and I know he speaks highly of Coach Cox.
BAR I thought he’d be first choice at LaSalle being he’s a Philly area icon is the Ashley Howard rumor bumping him out?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Like in the coaching carousel thread....Dooley did interview and is waiting to hear from URI on a decision....guess he wants our job more than ECU's?

Geez....Owens AND PMurph? lol

57, if Thorr doesn't think Cox is the man for the job, he's not going to hire him just because the recruits might leave.

I just think Cox is plenty qualified enough.....unless there is a candidate that completely blows Cox out of the water, then I can't see Thorr hiring anybody but Cox.

2-3 years of sucking if that happens. I'm too old for this shit.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

hrstrat57 wrote:I’m just thinking out loud wondering how Thorr feels about potential URI student athletes throwing the gauntlet down on Twitter.

I know I’m old school and really can’t wrap my brain around the twitter culture but still.....could it be weighing on his mind?

I have no way of knowing, but I would bet that Thorr already knows the situation quite well and likely wasn't surprised by anything he saw on Twitter yesterday.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This whole GolocalProv episode is a perfect illustration of how Americans can be so easily manipulated in the internet age. A disreputable source can post false information, real media sources (without any vetting) along with others pick it up or forward it on. Gullible people read it and either do not have the ability to filter it, or choose not to, and accept the false information as true. It is a rather sad commentary on today's media and the general public's ability to decipher fact from fiction.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
10 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote:This whole GolocalProv episode is a perfect illustration of how Americans can be so easily manipulated in the internet age. A disreputable source can post false information, real media sources along with others pick it up or forward it on. Gullible people read it and either do not have the ability to filter it, or choose not to, and accept the false information as true. It is a rather sad commentary on today's media and the general public's ability to decipher fact from fiction.
Bingo!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Two things are important here:

1. David Cox is not Jerry DeGregorio

2. Joe Dooley is not Jim Baron

I think we will be ok no matter what happens here. I'm at peace with this.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:This whole GolocalProv episode is a perfect illustration of how Americans can be so easily manipulated in the internet age. A disreputable source can post false information, real media sources along with others pick it up or forward it on. Gullible people read it and either do not have the ability to filter it, or choose not to, and accept the false information as true. It is a rather sad commentary on today's media and the general public's ability to decipher fact from fiction.
And then....people get pissed, when a news org wants their employees to read a script that talks about ... this ^^^
...and make a commitment to pursuing and reporting the truth. The horror......
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Joe Dooley might turn out to be a fine coach here if he's hired.

But it will be a long road back to get to where we are now.

And as I've said before...4 star big men don't come to URI very often if ever. And we've got TWO coming.

Would Dooley be able to recruit those type of players here? Not convinced at all that he could.

Just think there isn't enough difference between the two, to hire Dooley.

If I'm Thorr, take the pat hand and ride with it...if it doesn't work out in 2-3 years...then move on.

There's no way URI will get stuck with a mediocre coach for anywhere near as long as we were with JB.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote:Like in the coaching carousel thread....Dooley did interview and is waiting to hear from URI on a decision....guess he wants our job more than ECU's?

Geez....Owens AND PMurph? lol

57, if Thorr doesn't think Cox is the man for the job, he's not going to hire him just because the recruits might leave.

I just think Cox is plenty qualified enough.....unless there is a candidate that completely blows Cox out of the water, then I can't see Thorr hiring anybody but Cox.

2-3 years of sucking if that happens. I'm too old for this shit.
No one knows if Dooley actually interviewed. Just read ECUbis waiting on the BOT to approve the Dooley hire.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:I’m just thinking out loud wondering how Thorr feels about potential URI student athletes throwing the gauntlet down on Twitter.

I have no way of knowing, but I would bet that Thorr already knows the situation quite well and likely wasn't surprised by anything he saw on Twitter yesterday.
Yes. And maybe it's a generational thing, but I'd question a kid who didn't weigh in. It's their life. Nobody here feels like they can't have an opinion, so why the hell wouldn't you if you're one of the 12 people in the world actually impacted by the decision?
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Jerry D recruited one player to Rhody.....Lamar.......Cox has recruited players currently on the roster and committed to LOI's for next year....

......Jerry D had a connection to a sneaker guy back in the day.....Sonny Vaccaro I believe was his name....and that was to lead to great recruiting for Jerry D which never materialized.....

Harrick coming here may have made it impossible to Rhody to ever realistically considering Pitino.....the hire of Harrick left a bad taste in many mouths about hiring another reclamation project.....

My two cents.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Sonny Vaccaro is the name and his famous quote, "We will not let Jerry D fail!" which was obviously full of crap. Cox, by all accounts is galaxies above Jerry D and it's an insult to Cox think they are close in any way other than they both touched a basketball at some point.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Way to many panties in a bunch. Pretty much nothing said here will get anyone hired or taken off the list by the powers that be.

When is Pitino’s interview again.

GO RHODY!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:

Yes. And maybe it's a generational thing, but I'd question a kid who didn't weigh in. It's their life. Nobody here feels like they can't have an opinion, so why the hell wouldn't you if you're one of the 12 people in the world actually impacted by the decision?
Well I guess we shall soon find out.....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If our recruits leave , we are absolutely f’ed. Don’t kid yourself.
0 x
GO RAMS
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

steviep123 wrote:Sonny Vaccaro is the name and his famous quote, "We will not let Jerry D fail!" which was obviously full of crap. Cox, by all accounts is galaxies above Jerry D and it's an insult to Cox think they are close in any way other than they both touched a basketball at some point.
The story’s much better than that. Sonny was adidas Lamar got to the laugue and chose Nike. That was it for Gerry.

GO RHODY!
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Gerald DeGregorio?

Gerry, Gerry, Gerry... is that how it went?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't think Jerry Duh actually touched a basketball while he was here. He let his assistants do the practices...and he sometimes left them halfway through.

And he was just the opposite of Dan with people. Total asshole.

His players were OK with him, because he didn't actually ask them to do anything.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: And then....people get pissed, when a news org wants their employees to read a script that talks about ... this ^^^

People should have an issue when a propaganda media conglomerate that spreads fake news dictates what its local affiliates must carry. I wouldn't even trust the weather forecast or traffic reports for a station such as this that masquerades as a legitimate objective news organization.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Well I guess we shall soon find out.....
I get how 'kids today' would get all over the Twigger and do that...and I guess that's a strategy for advancing a career (which is really what's happening), but seems not showing all of your cards to the whole world could be another strategy? Then again, I'm old....
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

jcru wrote:Two things are important here:

1. David Cox is not Jerry DeGregorio

2. Joe Dooley is not Jim Baron

I think we will be ok no matter what happens here. I'm at peace with this.
I am just glad that we have a real search and interview process. If David Cox gets the job he may do fine as head coach but he will have gotten the chance mostly by being in the right place at the right time. No other program of our stature is knocking down his door. If he gets the job he will have my support.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RIFan, not sure that's how you want to go, GoRhody.com has always been known to puff up the stats...

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... l?view=bio
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: And then....people get pissed, when a news org wants their employees to read a script that talks about ... this ^^^

People should have an issue when a propaganda media conglomerate that spreads fake news dictates what its local affiliates should carry. I wouldn't even trust the weather forecast or traffic reports for a station such as this that masquerades as a legitimate objective news organization.
Right...I mean, God forbid if an employer of people that report the news stresses the importance of sticking to facts and the truth...so restrictive.
2 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

rambone 78 wrote:Joe Dooley might turn out to be a fine coach here if he's hired.

But it will be a long road back to get to where we are now.

And as I've said before...4 star big men don't come to URI very often if ever. And we've got TWO coming.

Would Dooley be able to recruit those type of players here? Not convinced at all that he could.

Just think there isn't enough difference between the two, to hire Dooley.

If I'm Thorr, take the pat hand and ride with it...if it doesn't work out in 2-3 years...then move on.

There's no way URI will get stuck with a mediocre coach for anywhere near as long as we were with JB.
We made it this far without a 4 star big, and I wouldn’t count Joe Dooley out at bringing in high level talent. He has a very impressive recruiting history, and has beat out good programs like Wichita State recruiting for FGCU. He may lose the current recruits, but he would come in as a much better recruiter than he’s getting credit for.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Maybe they are going to sleep on it. Don't want to make a rash decision with this much on the line.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

DH signs an assistant. Maybe he knows Cox isn’t going to CT.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hurley Show wrote:DH signs an assistant. Maybe he knows Cox isn’t going to CT.
Could be very telling folks.....
1 x
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

he took one of Richard Pitino's assistants. What does it mean?
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Why not mention the source of your info?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Kimani Young - new york recruiter, was with the other Rick Pitino in Minny. Good hire. Attracted someone away from Big 10.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

jcru wrote:RIFan, not sure that's how you want to go, GoRhody.com has always been known to puff up the stats...

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... l?view=bio
Good find, I would have referenced that if I had bothered to look further than the first item on Google! But I think the jobs and dates are the same (without looking in great detail.)...it's all the fluff the previous administration had to put in there to build him up that adds to it.
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

CTRamfan wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
Why not mention the source of your info?
It was a tweet from Evan Daniels
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Tight lipped on everything but my understanding has been decision tomorrow, presser Thursday.

Judging by Dan hiring an assistant, you should be able to read the tea leaves on what that means.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote:Tight lipped on everything but my understanding has been decision tomorrow, presser Thursday.

Judging by Dan hiring an assistant, you should be able to read the tea leaves on what that means.
Blue Man, we missed you brother! Lol
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I had not realized that Joe Dooley was previously the head coach at East Carolina. I had thought FGCU was his first head job. Dooley coached four seasons at ECU from 1995/96 to 1998/99 going 57-52.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The flippy dance, is your chance, to do the flop.

After the Flippy McFlop episode back in '99, I'll wait until the smoke clears and everyone is comfortably in the seated position before considering it done.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thorr and Dooley are not to be confused with Dumb and Dumber...i.e. Petro and Carothers.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

PTSD, rambone.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote:Tight lipped on everything but my understanding has been decision tomorrow, presser Thursday.

Blue Man! Can you ask them to make it early? I have a lot of stuff to do tomorrow :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

UConn has not hired an associate head coach yet.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Billyboy78 wrote:UConn has not hired an associate head coach yet.
Come on Man! I am trying to relax my mind with positive thoughts on Cox.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I would suggest listening to Adam Finkelstein's Upside Podcast interview with Coach Cox. A great listen and some solid insight on how thorough Coach Cox is.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm going off on a limb here.
2 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

How about Jere Quinn? Very highly regarded,local.

His name has come up recently.
0 x