The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Bill Koch already debunked this tweet.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That is just the same story from last night. I don't know what kind of operation not only refuses to retract a story when they have no sources on the record and the subject of the story has flatly denied it and asked that they retract it, but then also promotes the story on social media after the subject of the story shot it down and they still have no source to corroborate it.

Also, I don't know Jason Riley, but just looking at him I surely would not trust him on this or just about anything else. Creepy looking dude if I ever saw one.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just because some dude with a twitter account also tweeted a link to the story that does not give it any additional credibility. Come on people!
8 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

So Dan Hurley wasn't Coach K? And excelled at all aspects, a coaching legend, at the age of 43 and with less than a decade at his craft? Wow shocker. Of course there are areas he could improve, like almost every other human, but SGs point is the only one worth making...all the criteria that make up a good coach he meets or exceeds. He never got the job bc of his last name, he got the job bc he proved he could win at the levels he was coaching at...and if given more resources that winning would scale to greater heights. So far from St Benedicts to Wagner to URI that has proven true, and likely why UConn braintrust felt he was their guy. The pedigrees, the track record, the legacy he leaves behind. You can teach functional competency (ie getting better in late clock situations), you can't teach leadership, motivation and chutzpah and he has that in spades.

Now in terms of his Xs and Os. This was a famous GBG quote "is it too much to ask to have a Top 50-60 offense"..the last 2 years we hovered consistently in that range. We had a very good A/TO ratio (dispelling the notion of a bunch of guys going 1 on 1), and at times this season a highly efficient offense despite not having any pure shooters. If you think with guys like Terrell, Matthews and Stan we should be running a motion offense or a flex then you don't know the game. We ran a dribble drive offense, bc guess what, we had a roster of guys whose best offensive skill was their ability to dribble drive and slash. With a bigger team, or a more traditional 1-5 lineup perhaps his philosophy would have changed but we will never know. And last i will leave you with another stellar GBG insight "Xavier Munford is a gunner who won't as much sniff a cup of coffee in the league, he will make money playing in Serbia." Or something to that effect. Grossly inaccurate but doesn't mean it wasn't said for 2 years straight. Sorta like when 72 critiqued Jimmy Baron's foul shooting form, once you go there and are so grossly off it is hard to give much merit to anything else you say.
6 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

what the F*** is going on over at golocalprov?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Unfortunately the anonymously written and unsubstantiated golocalprov item has taken on a life of its own. It did exactly what its unnamed authors wanted - drove up clicks to its site which will then be used in attempts to attract advertisers.

Golocalprov is not a reputable journalism source. Many of their stories do not even cite authors. It says a lot when people do not stand behind what they write. The piece in question is attributed to their sports team. There is however no listing to be found for who makes up their sports team.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

1. David Cox
2. John Becker
3. Joe Dooley
4.Micah Shrewsberry
It was my understanding that Thorr said he will hire the candidate to continue the success at URI and that the school is committed to that.
1-Never Been a HC and URI has done very poorly in the past going in that direction.
2- Great success at Vermont. Winning a ton of games. Do not think that compares to a ranked team.
3- Really ? Why is this name here ?
4- No disrespect on working with Brad Stevens. But transitioning into HC is never a cakewalk.
So. My point is if Thorr is committed to excellence and going to next level.
Then why are there no name candidates on this "Finalist" list ?
David, John or Micah could work out great. But why are there no "Big Name" candidates to support what Thorr said.
Just saying.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Deadspin has picked up on the steaming pile of shit report GoLocalProv released. Their shoddy journalism is getting the attention they wanted but for all the wrong reasons.

GoLocalProv is getting exposed and is going to have to retract that story. Totally gutless that nobody from GoLocalProv put their name on that article, just says the GoLocalProv Sports Team.

https://deadspin.com/rhode-island-denie ... socialflow
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

While not supporting (or trashing) golocal...I'd still like to see some examples of what they've said, being proven flat out wrong, or untrue...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

BAR, agree about having certain types of players and playing to your strengths, but later in the season we became much more stagnant on offense and adjustments weren't being made. Opponents learned how to defend us. Maybe being small there wasn't much Dan could do, but at least try something different.

That's on Dan. Now not saying that he can still improve there, but it's not our problem anymore.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just interesting that someone else is tweeting it and says golocal had three sources. But I know I know, its all BS, just fueling the fire here :lol:
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:While not supporting (or trashing) golocal...I'd still like to see some examples of what they've said, being proven flat out wrong, or untrue...
How can you give any serious credence to the Pitino piece when you cannot even determine who wrote it?

Come on people. Use your brains. If someone will not even affix their name to it, it isn't really worth reading.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URI isn't going to come out and deny it if it was true.

The school obviously feels very strongly about it.

If anyone believes Golocal....then they are loco.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

bigappleram wrote:So Dan Hurley wasn't Coach K? And excelled at all aspects, a coaching legend, at the age of 43 and with less than a decade at his craft? Wow shocker. Of course there are areas he could improve, like almost every other human, but SGs point is the only one worth making...all the criteria that make up a good coach he meets or exceeds. He never got the job bc of his last name, he got the job bc he proved he could win at the levels he was coaching at...and if given more resources that winning would scale to greater heights. So far from St Benedicts to Wagner to URI that has proven true, and likely why UConn braintrust felt he was their guy. The pedigrees, the track record, the legacy he leaves behind. You can teach functional competency (ie getting better in late clock situations), you can't teach leadership, motivation and chutzpah and he has that in spades.

Now in terms of his Xs and Os. This was a famous GBG quote "is it too much to ask to have a Top 50-60 offense"..the last 2 years we hovered consistently in that range. We had a very good A/TO ratio (dispelling the notion of a bunch of guys going 1 on 1), and at times this season a highly efficient offense despite not having any pure shooters. If you think with guys like Terrell, Matthews and Stan we should be running a motion offense or a flex then you don't know the game. We ran a dribble drive offense, bc guess what, we had a roster of guys whose best offensive skill was their ability to dribble drive and slash. With a bigger team, or a more traditional 1-5 lineup perhaps his philosophy would have changed but we will never know. And last i will leave you with another stellar GBG insight "Xavier Munford is a gunner who won't as much sniff a cup of coffee in the league, he will make money playing in Serbia." Or something to that effect. Grossly inaccurate but doesn't mean it wasn't said for 2 years straight. Sorta like when 72 critiqued Jimmy Baron's foul shooting form, once you go there and are so grossly off it is hard to give much merit to anything else you say.
Imagine yelling this loud when you are completely wrong? In his six years, URI was never in the top 100 in assist to FG made ratio. In his six years, he never had a top 50 kenpom offense. If I knew that he would have had a senior Terrell, a 5th year senior EC, and three other seniors and not crack the top 50, I would have been even more pissed. Unlike you, I admitted I was wrong on X. He's really good but it also shows how misused he was by DH. His offensive rating was under 100!!! That means he wasn't even average. DH ran him off those dopey high balls screens again and again. PS. Let's not make him into Steve Nash...how many minutes of NBA time does he have?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote:BAR, agree about having certain types of players and playing to your strengths, but later in the season we became much more stagnant on offense and adjustments weren't being made. Opponents learned how to defend us. Maybe being small there wasn't much Dan could do, but at least try something different.

That's on Dan. Now not saying that he can still improve there, but it's not our problem anymore.
Late in the year we got Zoned - and struggled mightily. Part of that is because we did not have any knock down shooters, a bunch of streaky shooters yes, but no one that was consistently going to hit 40-50% from 3. We also didn't have anyone to occupy the free throw line. Last year we had Iverson, who was masterful at the high low from the free throw line to Hass. He also could hit that 15 footer, and put it on the floor and score with the trees. No better way to attack a zone (short corners being the other). So personnel wise we weren't made up especially well to exploit a zone. Maybe the strategy against it wasn't perfect, but I do believe given the personnel we had it was best laid plans. Did you watch Michigan State vs Syracuse - does Izzo not know Xs or Os because Michigan State looked lost against the Cuse zone. On literally every message board in the country, whether that team is a winning one or losing one, there is a contingent of the fan base that thinks they can design better offense based on what they do with their CYO team.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ahh GBG, coincidentally more time on your hands now eh? Convenient how busy you got just as we were winning, what a great fan you are I am sure you have been to dozens of games and donate tons of your time and energy to the program. Nope you don't, you just sit back and emerge when there is adversity to throw shit on the pile.

Last year our Ken Pom final offensive efficiency was around 56 I believe. I also think we held steady at that number for close to a 2 year period, Koch tweeted something to that effect. Dopey high ball screens? I mean literally the same offense Kentucky and about 100 other teams run. This is laughable take.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I don't' believe URI would hire Pitino, but I do believe they at least considered him. That is believable. Ultimately its has to be Cox, so it's not worth arguing about, although Thorr would be in a tough spot.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This site has become an example of pure unadulterated lunacy. What has happened to the rationale thought process of posters?

The hiring process for a new coach is following the schedule and playing out exactly as Thorr indicated it would back at his press conference on Thursday 03-22-2018. He mentioned that several coaches had expressed interest and specifically named David Cox as a candidate as he gave permission to do so. Bjorn stated that he hoped to have someone hired within 2-2.5 weeks (which would translate into late this week or early next week). The position was posted per RI state hiring practices last Monday 03-26-2018 with 04-02-2018 being the last date applications were being accepted. Thorr is currently interviewing several possible hires. All is going exactly to plan. A new coach is likely to be named and introduced within days.

People just need to calm down and be patient.
11 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:While not supporting (or trashing) golocal...I'd still like to see some examples of what they've said, being proven flat out wrong, or untrue...
How can you give any serious credence to the Pitino piece when you cannot even determine who wrote it?

Come on people. Use your brains. If someone will not even affix their name to it, it isn't really worth reading.
And I believe there had to be some kind of contact/discussion/tire kick....between who and to what level, few will probably ever know.
At a school with (at least some) deep-pocketed boosters, likely with healthy egos and a desire to win...all the time...I would find it harder to believe that didn't happen than it did.

So, crappy journalistic style/no sources/no byline/no accountability aside (which people keep ragging on, I get it already)...golocal did post (apparently) that Hurls was going to UConn before it was official? ..what have they posted that was later proven false or untrue factually? Leave out the style and hurt feelings...what have they posted that's been proven factually false...I'm not saying there's 'nothing', I just don't know what it is. Because, otherwise, seems like maybe they're the media equivalent of informants? Unsavory characters, sure...but with relevant info?
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

For people unfamiliar with GoLocal's...let's call it "output", I've posted a little example here:
http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7516
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote:So Dan Hurley wasn't Coach K? And excelled at all aspects, a coaching legend, at the age of 43 and with less than a decade at his craft? Wow shocker. Of course there are areas he could improve, like almost every other human, but SGs point is the only one worth making...all the criteria that make up a good coach he meets or exceeds. He never got the job bc of his last name, he got the job bc he proved he could win at the levels he was coaching at...and if given more resources that winning would scale to greater heights. So far from St Benedicts to Wagner to URI that has proven true, and likely why UConn braintrust felt he was their guy. The pedigrees, the track record, the legacy he leaves behind. You can teach functional competency (ie getting better in late clock situations), you can't teach leadership, motivation and chutzpah and he has that in spades.

72 criticized Jimmy Barons free throw shooting!?!?!???!??!??!!!!??????????

What In the Ram hell....
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote:That is just the same story from last night. I don't know what kind of operation not only refuses to retract a story when they have no sources on the record and the subject of the story has flatly denied it and asked that they retract it, but then also promotes the story on social media after the subject of the story shot it down and they still have no source to corroborate it.
A clown operation. There is a zero percent chance GLP retracts, clarifies, corrects, or removes the story. Clicks clicks clicks clicks.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

And I believe there had to be some kind of contact/discussion/tire kick....between who and to what level, few will probably ever know.
At a school with (at least some) deep-pocketed boosters, likely with healthy egos and a desire to win...all the time...I would find it harder to believe that didn't happen than it did.

So, crappy journalistic style/no sources/no byline/no accountability aside (which people keep ragging on, I get it already)...golocal did post (apparently) that Hurls was going to UConn before it was official? ..what have they posted that was later proven false or untrue factually? Leave out the style and hurt feelings...what have they posted that's been proven factually false...I'm not saying there's 'nothing', I just don't know what it is. Because, otherwise, seems like maybe they're the media equivalent of informants? Unsavory characters, sure...but with relevant info?

Even a clock is right at least twice a day.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Some boosters wanted Pitino, but it never even got to Thorr, much less Dooley.

As I said before, hopefully it doesn't affect any money that would have gone to enhancements [most likely the practice facility] if Dan had stayed.
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

This has now been directly contradicted by Thorr. No "tire kick", no discussion, no contact with ANYONE associated with Rick Pitino. Bjorn is a public employee who has put his reputation on the line. GoLocalProv is a shitsplat blog. I don't know what more you need...Thorr can't do anymore to prove a negative. As Dave just mentioned GoLocal doesn't need to retract, or apologize, just get clicks clicks clicks clicks clicks. They have no reputation, no risk from publishing something untrue.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote:

What In the Ram hell....
One of the hottest of hot takes on a board of hot takes. But true it is. Lives on in KB infamy.
3 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

PeterRamTime wrote:

What In the Ram hell....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm actually laughing. :D
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

Some of you going nuts over the mention of Pitino and now the golocal story, sound as bad as the PC homers you poke fun at. Your holier than thou, not in my backyard, not someone like this person or that person as head coach, homer remarks are comical. If you think anyone of those four names can move URI to a top program, you are the crazy ones, not the jcru's or anyone else who dared mention Pitino or anyone that caliber! You cannot have it both ways in college sports! For every Gonzaga, there are 50 mid-majors who are awful. You want the program to become elite but prefer the status quo coaching prospects. If you don't think Pitino(with structures in place/clauses/hell an ankle bracelet) wouldn't elevate this program to what we all dream it to become, you are nuts. Aren't you tired of being in PC's shadows??? As a born/breed Rhode Islander, who is a Rhody alumn, and had a father that went to PC, I sure am tired of the status quo! Think BIG right! Well a Pitino type is thinking BIG. Not Cox, Dooley, Becker, Fiore which did make me laugh for a number of reasons. Pitino may not be the guy for us, but that's the type of names we have to start shooting for if we want to elevate!!! I'd rather go to 4 straight NCAA's and Pitino type bolt than not see another tournament for 4-5 more years bc we went the status quo route. My hope is that if they don't want a dance with the devil type of hire, then at least end the dog & pony show and give it to Cox. Anyone other than Cox would set the program back years and we can all agree NONE OF US WANT THAT!
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

72 had a 102 FT% in high school.
Last edited by Billyboy78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

GansettRam74 wrote:Some of you going nuts over the mention of Pitino and now the golocal story, sound as bad as the PC homers you poke fun at. Your holier than thou, not in my backyard, not someone like this person or that person as head coach, homer remarks are comical. If you think anyone of those four names can move URI to a top program, you are the crazy ones, not the jcru's or anyone else who dared mention Pitino or anyone that caliber! You cannot have it both ways in college sports! For every Gonzaga, there are 50 mid-majors who are awful. You want the program to become elite but prefer the status quo coaching prospects. If you don't think Pitino(with structures in place/clauses/hell an ankle bracelet) wouldn't elevate this program to what we all dream it to become, you are nuts. Aren't you tired of being in PC's shadows??? As a born/breed Rhode Islander, who is a Rhody alumn, and had a father that went to PC, I sure am tired of the status quo! Think BIG right! Well a Pitino type is thinking BIG. Not Cox, Dooley, Becker, Fiore which did make me laugh for a number of reasons. Pitino may not be the guy for us, but that's the type of names we have to start shooting for if we want to elevate!!! I'd rather go to 4 straight NCAA's and Pitino type bolt than not see another tournament for 4-5 more years bc we went the status quo route. My hope is that if they don't want a dance with the devil type of hire, then at least end the dog & pony show and give it to Cox. Anyone other than Cox would set the program back years and we can all agree NONE OF US WANT THAT!
Well put
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
GansettRam74 wrote:Some of you going nuts over the mention of Pitino and now the golocal story, sound as bad as the PC homers you poke fun at. Your holier than thou, not in my backyard, not someone like this person or that person as head coach, homer remarks are comical. If you think anyone of those four names can move URI to a top program, you are the crazy ones, not the jcru's or anyone else who dared mention Pitino or anyone that caliber! You cannot have it both ways in college sports! For every Gonzaga, there are 50 mid-majors who are awful. You want the program to become elite but prefer the status quo coaching prospects. If you don't think Pitino(with structures in place/clauses/hell an ankle bracelet) wouldn't elevate this program to what we all dream it to become, you are nuts. Aren't you tired of being in PC's shadows??? As a born/breed Rhode Islander, who is a Rhody alumn, and had a father that went to PC, I sure am tired of the status quo! Think BIG right! Well a Pitino type is thinking BIG. Not Cox, Dooley, Becker, Fiore which did make me laugh for a number of reasons. Pitino may not be the guy for us, but that's the type of names we have to start shooting for if we want to elevate!!! I'd rather go to 4 straight NCAA's and Pitino type bolt than not see another tournament for 4-5 more years bc we went the status quo route. My hope is that if they don't want a dance with the devil type of hire, then at least end the dog & pony show and give it to Cox. Anyone other than Cox would set the program back years and we can all agree NONE OF US WANT THAT!
Well put
Except the status quo for URI right now is two back-to-back NCAA tournaments with first round wins, an A-10 regular season championship and an A-10 tournament championship. So yeah, that's kind of the status I would like to continue and build upon. Forget Pitino, I want the next Jay Wright. Someone who stays at a school and builds a premier program.
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

BleedBlue87 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Well put
Except the status quo for URI right now is two back-to-back NCAA tournaments with first round wins, an A-10 regular season championship and an A-10 tournament championship. So yeah, that's kind of the status I would like to continue and build upon. Forget Pitino, I want the next Jay Wright. Someone who stays at a school and builds a premier program.
Yes! Ditto!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Well put
..."Jay Wright is not walking through those doors" Although...maybe, maybe that's why they waited to do interviews until today...because he was busy yesterday???
1 x
RIKen822
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RIKen822 »

NY Post carried the Pitino almost to URI story at 1:30 today with no mention of Dooley/Thorr’s denial.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/03/rick-piti ... llege-job/
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Yup Pitino builds a blue-chip program , wins Louisville a national championship.
Then his dirty methods get exposed and he gets fired , but Louisville still has all those wins
and the money from the NCAAT. Not so ......

Louisville must pay a fine, and the men's basketball team will be forced to vacate all of its wins from the 2011-15 academic years in which ineligible student-athletes played in games.

A ruling from the NCAA Division I Infractions Appeals Committee (h/t NCAA.org's Emily James) on Tuesday determined Louisville's punishment, which also includes paying back money the school received from appearing in the NCAA tournament each year from 2012-15.

The school pays the biggest price for Pitino's actions! Or do you believe he didn't know what was going on???
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'm officially putting this thread on pause for myself until a hire is made. Too much going on lol.
2 x
GO RAMS
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

The hire is taking so long it’s brutal. And Xavier hires Steele in a matter of a few days.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Well put
..."Jay Wright is not walking through those doors" Although...maybe, maybe that's why they waited to do interviews until today...because he was busy yesterday???
Nova didn't know what they had when Wright first came through. Same with Duke and Coach K and UConn with Calhoun. I would rather take that shot on Cox being the next big time coach then some under investigation coach who would only come here because no one else will take him.
4 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

GBG brings some interesting numbers to this discussion. You're saying URI can't run a motion offense because they don't have a traditional 1-5 lineup? Since when does that preclude running motion? Oh, I'll let the Golden State Warriors know to bring back Joe Barry Carroll so they have a true 5 position. URI's players can't screen, can't flair, can't pass, can't backscreen, can't invert guards for postup, etc.? Those are the fundamentals of a motion offense and it has nothing to do with position. You can run 5-out motion or 4-out/1-in motion if you have a smaller lineup. URI had two legit frontcourt players a year ago and they never ran any motion. URI's offense was less "dribble drive" and more like "dribble, dribble, stand, dribble, and high ball screen." If you have a recent game recorded, chart a few possessions to see if the ball moves side to side and how many people touch the ball before a shot.

Look at the really good offensive and pretty to watch offensive teams in the NCAA tournament and you'll see teams that continually screen, move the ball, and share it. You can still drive and slash in a motion offense due to late closeouts on a shooter, defenders getting caught up in screens, and switches on defense.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

BleedBlue87 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:
Nova didn't know what they had when Wright first came through. Same with Duke and Coach K and UConn with Calhoun. I would rather take that shot on Cox being the next big time coach then some under investigation coach who would only come here because no one else will take him.
I was not and am not a fan of Jim Harrick. And I'm just asking the question but what is the difference between URI hiring Jim Harrick (and his baggage) and Rick Pitino (and his baggage)? If you were OK with the Harrick hire, then shouldn't you be OK with Pitino?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully Cox has a better handle on offensive X and 0's........and/or brings in assistants who can help in that area.....

Pitino has a far worse history than Harrick ever did.

Good thing Rod isn't here to rip you a new one. Because he would.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

1 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Thank goodness, I can't take much more of this thread
1 x
Clapton is God
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
I was not and am not a fan of Jim Harrick. And I'm just asking the question but what is the difference between URI hiring Jim Harrick (and his baggage) and Rick Pitino (and his baggage)? If you were OK with the Harrick hire, then shouldn't you be OK with Pitino?
They both have baggage, but the difference is that Pitino is pure scum. He's the last person I would want leading my basketball program and influencing the impressionable young men that form the roster. The man can coach with the best of them, nobody will ever dispute that, but he's damaged goods. The fact that certain people on here would actually welcome the Pitino hiring is baffling to me, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I would be shocked if we don't have a coach at this time tomorrow. I would be more shocked to have this go on for another 24 hours than I would be hear in the next five hours.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They have to know who it is by now.....maybe they want to be back in Kingston tomorrow to announce it...who knows.

Anyway, I expect we will have quite a few lurkers tomorrow...starting early.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

GBG brings some interesting numbers to this discussion. You're saying URI can't run a motion offense because they don't have a traditional 1-5 lineup? Since when does that preclude running motion? Oh, I'll let the Golden State Warriors know to bring back Joe Barry Carroll so they have a true 5 position. URI's players can't screen, can't flair, can't pass, can't backscreen, can't invert guards for postup, etc.? Those are the fundamentals of a motion offense and it has nothing to do with position. You can run 5-out motion or 4-out/1-in motion if you have a smaller lineup. URI had two legit frontcourt players a year ago and they never ran any motion. URI's offense was less "dribble drive" and more like "dribble, dribble, stand, dribble, and high ball screen." If you have a recent game recorded, chart a few possessions to see if the ball moves side to side and how many people touch the ball before a shot.

Look at the really good offensive and pretty to watch offensive teams in the NCAA tournament and you'll see teams that continually screen, move the ball, and share it. You can still drive and slash in a motion offense due to late closeouts on a shooter, defenders getting caught up in screens, and switches on defense.
I agree that the ball got "sticky" with our team at times the last couple of years, and that ball reversal wasn't necessarily a strong suit. I said Dan's philosophy on offense may have changed with different personnel, not that you must have a traditional 1-5 lineup to run a motion, because to your point motion offense is great when you have good ball handlers across the board and play a bit of position-less basketball a la Golden State. I think effective motion is best run by teams with great ball skills 1-5 (passing, ball handling), and with great shooters. I don't think either last year's team or this year's team fit that description.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Something has to leak somewhere, right?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:I would be shocked if we don't have a coach at this time tomorrow. I would be more shocked to have this go on for another 24 hours than I would be hear in the next five hours.
Yeah I’m thinking it will “leak” out tonight.
0 x