The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by TruePoint »

jcru wrote:I appreciate it, RR. Now, of course, like an ameoba, I probably just absorbed your account as well. Anyone who dares even talk to me who isn't a moderator is accused of being me, these days.

Strange times indeed.

I know certain people hated the old Projo boards because they couldn't control the narrative at all times. I'm talking about Iggy and the like, sure, but who I am really talking about is whoever Iggy's source is. They want one narrative, one direction, at all times. What you just witnessed tonight, is actively controlling the narrative. I've never seen URI, for instance, officially denounce a rumor like they did tonight on the official website. That's Big.

It is definitely unusual to take the step that URI did tonight, especially for sleepy URI that always seems sort of oblivious to the larger conversation - at least traditionally.

I view that as evidence of how they view Pitino and what they think about the idea of being associated with him, rather than a conspiracy/coverup. Nobody is telling me to think that, but that is my impression of how these guys think based on their track records and my interactions with them.

It isn't personal that people here have given you a hard time - nobody even knows you. At least not well enough to target you specifically. You came in here making wild allegations that everyone but you is shilling for athletic department and is involved in some sort of propaganda effort - obviously people are going to think that you're a crazy person and also defend themselves. Not only is that untrue, it's so far off base from reality that it's actually hilarious. But it also makes you look clueless and foolish.

Again, that is not a personal attack - I'm not saying you're a clueless and foolish person. But I am saying that what you've been saying here is. There may be a Cox family member here among us - this is an anonymous message board, so anythings possible - but with one or two possible exceptions people here aren't "in the bag" for a coaching candidate because they have some personal stake in that person getting the job, or because they were secretly told that he was going to get the job and they've been tasked to go sell it in the community. Posters here are just fans, but they're fans that follow this team every single day and have a good sense of where things are at and what people are responsible for what. And so when the vast majority of those fans support a particular candidate, it might be worth considering that they came to that opinion honestly based on their knowledge of the situation rather than it being the result of some coordinated PR effort.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't think Jersey Joe's post was meant to be malicious. But, for whatever reason, Iggy see's it as threatening. And I don't understand why, but now it seems he's always felt that way.

I've been behind the scenes, TP. I once had a legitimate source, but he passed away back in 2001, I believe it was. It's been a long time. He died of a heart attack. It was after Baron was hired, because he had gotten me into that fundraiser with Baron at the Coast Guard House, and that small meeting. So, I've seen behind the scenes, so to speak.

So, I am not in the loop, but I know how it goes. I know when you do have a source, they don't take kindly to your deviating from their message, else you won't be in the loop for too long.

What I can gather or surmise, from what happened tonight, is that Jersey Joe made that post, and it was likely accurate. And for whatever reasons, that I'll probably never know, they don't 1. either want it known that they entertained the idea of Pitino, or 2. they don't want it out there that Bjorn entertained the notion of Pitino with his agent and then ran it by Dooley.

You can hate me, pig pile on top of me, do whatever you want to do, kick me out, but if I had to make an educated guess, based on what went down tonight, they don't want it out there that that is the process, or part of the process, I really have no idea why it is that important to correct that rumor, but like I said, some of these things are not common sense to me, nor the public, but they must have their reasons. I'm sure their reasons actually make sense, at least to them.

I thought JJ's post was a compliment to Bjorn. He said the AD basically has a pair of brass ones, and is aggressive. An AD should be those things.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

URI almost never sticks its neck out like this to refute shitty reporting, even if a story has tons of half-truths surrounding a kernel of authenticity. You want to know why this isn't a "he said, she said"? Because GoLocal has no name on the story, and will retract/edit/take down the article with no accountability for their shit reporting. They have nothing to lose from publishing a story that they aren't sure is true.

GoRhody, URI athletics, and the University itself on the other hand are all putting their (very public) reputations on the line when they issue this denial. They've got real names, emails, phone numbers and can easily be found. They have everything to lose from issuing a press release that they know can be proven untrue.

If you can't tell the difference between GoLocal and an official release from the flagship state university, there is really no helping you.
5 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

I would also echo the sentiment that "jersey joe"'s explanation of the situation is eminently plausible, and actually accommodates both the notion of Pitino's involvement, and URI's subsequent statements. Being plausible doesn't make it true, but it's at least realistic. Unfortunately it's being championed by jcru, a shitposter if ever there was one, and thus unfortunately comes away with some of his stink.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm not championing anything. I'll believe what I want to believe, you believe whatever you are told.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Now it's a matter of semantics. Did Thorr or Dooley sit across the table from Pitino? Most likely not. Did members of the URI community have a dinner meeting with Pitino at a well known South County establishment to discuss his potential hiring and his current situation with the NCAA? Absolutely. Was their interest on both sides. Yes again. NCAA failed to give Pitino's representatives a definitive statement on his legal status for the expressed purpose of stalling his hiring with anybody. At that point, hiring Pitino became a moot point. I believe the NCAA has nothing on him personally other than their disdain for him; and as long as they can delay his return to coaching, they are winning the battle. In the end, Pitino, Sean Miller and Bruce Pearl will all skate away clean and Pitino will land at a major program, once again competing for a national title. There is no hard evidence on the ESPN tape.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jeez golocal.com is completely trash !!

Let's get David Cox walking through that door !!
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Now it's a matter of semantics. Did Thorr or Dooley sit across the table from Pitino? Most likely not. Did members of the URI community have a dinner meeting with Pitino at a well known South County establishment to discuss his potential hiring and his current situation with the NCAA? Absolutely. Was their interest on both sides. Yes again. NCAA failed to give Pitino's representatives a definitive statement on his legal status for the expressed purpose of stalling his hiring with anybody. At that point, hiring Pitino became a moot point. I believe the NCAA has nothing on him personally other than their disdain for him; and as long as they can delay his return to coaching, they are winning the battle. In the end, Pitino, Sean Miller and Bruce Pearl will all skate away clean and Pitino will land at a major program, once again competing for a national title. There is no hard evidence on the ESPN tape.
I have thought for a long time that Pitino was the scapegoat for a problem way bigger than him - a high profile guy they can trash because the public won’t be outraged. Did he likely commit similar recruiting violations as every other top 15 program? Sure. Does he deserve to be the guy who goes down? Probably not.

If this account is true, I am happy the tires were kicked. That is all any Pitino person on this board wanted. If is determined the NCAA was going to be little bitches and delay his hiring because of their incompetence than we can’t go that route. Timing sucks becaus despite what anyone says here, he would have taken us to where we want to go, a true final four caliber coach.
3 x
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

I apologize for posting the GoLocal article in the first place. I should have realized that their other headline that day was also a lie: "Sasquatch sighting at Providence Place Mall is Confirmed by Mall Security."
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Golocal’s motto: It Could Be True
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Interview day! Expect Names will leak throughout the day and media speculation late into tonight and tomorrow morning.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

Didn't stay in RI after graduation so I'd never read GoLocalProv until yesterday. Unimpressed. Why do none of their sports pieces have a real byline naming the author? Some bylines elsewhere on the site name the writer.

A more general commentary on anonymity in national sports reporting. NFL, MLB, college sports, everything . . . news seems to break on "a source," almost always unnamed. There isn't a more low stakes subject than sports. Requiring anonymity on everyday items - scheduling, which free agent visited which team, practice injuries - is unnecessary, and gives the impression that the material is either a) unsubstantiated or b) made up (GoLocalProv?). For example, Ian Rapoport reported weeks ago that Gronk is expected to return next season. Terrific. By whom? Why is that source anonymous? What is there to lose?
1 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Why would golocal risk that?
0 x
GO RAMS
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Rhody83 wrote:
Perhaps we cut bait on Baron too soon?
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I missed the volcanic eruption last night. But I have been absent because my main source told me a big booster wanted Pitino. Now where that went or if it was true? IDK. It was a text and I didn't follow up off of it and it was like over a week ago. I basically from that point decided to step back and see.

At this point I just want them to hire David Cox and I want David Cox to be the greatest coach ever and go undefeated next year.
7 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would not be surprised if several of the biggest boosters wanted Pitino......

Can't take a chance though.
1 x
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Rhodymob05 wrote:Why would golocal risk that?
Risk what? Being called out in an individual capacity for not vetting sources (or making up stories whole cloth, though I prefer to give the benefit of that doubt)?

Is that worse than perpetuating a general perception that all of the stories may or may not be accurate?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Golocal is famous for making stuff up.....and they are still in business...so like trump, some people believe them [him].
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I went to golocal to see if they took that story down. Now they're reporting that Joe Dooley is the frontrunner for the job and if it was going to be Cox, he would have been hired by now.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

More bullshit.

However you could say that if Cox was the choice...why interview others at all....but they are required to do so by state law......

Dooley hasn't even interviewed yet...he will today.

A school like X doesn't have to wait to hire anyone, or interview others either. Private schools can do what they want.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We should know who our next coach is within 30 hours or so.....in the meantime we will no doubt hear a whole bunch of stuff that's probably about 95% untrue.....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:More bullshit.

However you could say that if Cox was the choice...why interview others at all....but they are required to do so by state law......

Dooley hasn't even interviewed yet...he will today.

A school like X doesn't have to wait to hire anyone, or interview others either. Private schools can do what they want.
Oh, I agree. They're just throwing shit out there. They say there are 3 candidates, Dooley, Cox and Becker. No mention of Shrewsberry.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

This is the latest steaming pile of hot garbage from golocal:

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/three ... ley-at-uri

"There is a growing sentiment that if Bjorn was comfortable with Cox, he would have been hired by now."

They completely ignore the fact that Cox couldn't legally be hired before today. Plus they say the athletics APR is very low. I know the men's basketball APR was cleaned up with Hurley. Don't know about the rest of the teams. But to say coaches leave for that reason is a farce. There's no way Hurley leaves because (if for example), women's soccer's APR is low. Especially when I don't think UConn's men's basketball's APR is in stellar shape.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Golocal also decided to throw this in there. Apparently they're angry at URI for refuting their story last night. Proving that they're a scummy PC site. This, incredibly was in the middle of the coaching search article....

A 2016 review of the performance of the URI Athletic programs found that the school offers among the fewest sports to students of any Division I school and the academic performance was at the time of the review one of the weakest in its conference. The 2016 review found:

A GoLocal review of the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rate performance for URI men’s and women’s teams unveils that the Rams were consistently among the lowest-ranked programs compared to their peer conference schools, according to the most recent year as published by the NCAA.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Both ours and UConn's APR is in excellent shape. BB wise that is.

More bullshit.

The men's BB coach is responsible for his team's APR......and no one else's.

Maybe some other athletic programs have a low APR....that's their problem.

As for number of programs...that's because of Title IX and the school's money issues.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Clickbait ... RI’s version of fake news in which shit is put out there so they can get clicks, which determine how much they get from advertisers. Don’t put money in those scumbags’ pockets.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Never have, never will.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

You guys should just ignore them like everyone else does.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Go local is ridiculous and run by PC as Billy or RF1 has said. Weren't they the same paper who swore Dan Hurley would never consider coming to URI , basically he is above a school like URI? Remember poor little URI didn't deserve Hurley and were lucky, they should be willing to accept mediocrity at its greatest, Jim Baron was good for URI.

Comments about their APR and URI is finding out no one of any stature has any interest, total PC talk. Not having Cox would pretty much assure URI of going back to square one and a total rebuild which is exactly what they or PC people would love to see. Knock URI in every manner and hope nothing good ever goes on there. Hurley must have pissed those people off.

Joe Dooley give me a break please? I hear Pitino at least the guy is a HOF type coach on the floor. That would be a different consideration at least.

"Dooley of Florida Gulf Coast may be the front-runner. He has taken the program from nowhere to highly competitive mid-major status. "

This comment displays how uninformed they are and how lazy they are to do the simplest of research. How about the Andy Enfield team that made the sweet 16 that he took over they year after? Taking over a sweet 16 team is taking a team from nowhere? If FGCU is a mid major, what is URI.

Hire Cox today end all this nonsense.
"
Last edited by giovanni 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rambone 78 wrote:Golocal is famous for making stuff up.....and they are still in business...so like trump, some people believe them [him].
I'm not saying golocal is accurate, but what a shot to take if you sincerely know that Pitino didn't have any meeting with URI. Just weird.
0 x
GO RAMS
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

"While URI basketball fans want to cheer in a vacuum, one of the reasons why successful coaches leave is the overall condition and performance of the program."

You have to be kidding me. This is the type of commentary that should be in a fan blog or something. Any "news" related to the program coming from this site - I'm, not going to necessarily dismiss as wrong (because how would I know) but I'll ignore it until I hear from something I trust.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

GoLocal will only go away if we all stop clicking. I'll suggest again to block them on Twitter and/or Facebook and/or whatever else so you won't even be tempted.
8 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I literally have not visited golocal since the month it was launched, I have absolutely no interest in biased news about local sports.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I was just curious to see if they removed the Pitino story like URI requested. No more clicks for me.
4 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like Seth Greenberg, I just don't think he can coach. When his teams played Baron's, I always assumed we would beat them. That is not a good thing.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

rambone 78 wrote:Both ours and UConn's APR is in excellent shape. BB wise that is.

More bullshit.

The men's BB coach is responsible for his team's APR......and no one else's.

Maybe some other athletic programs have a low APR....that's their problem.

As for number of programs...that's because of Title IX and the school's money issues.
Why APR is even still a thing is beyond me. We’re good though
2 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

BleedBlue87 wrote:
jcru wrote:You don't like me BB87, I get it. But, I represent people out there who don't post on these boards. People who live in the area, who are not close the program, but follow the program, and form their own conclusions based on what they see and hear.

You know, the kind of people the university is trying to attract to these events = the kind of people you can't stand
Have got no problem with those type of people. Do have a problem with people like you who come to post on the board only when there is some type of drama happening and being a negative poster about it. Last time you were really active on this board was during the so-called Hurley collapse and you happily joined in on the "Hurley has the the worst loss in school history" wagon. It's like you only come out of the woodwork when something bad is happening. No one needs that. And every so often, I'm going to remind folks that you troll. That you feed off of negativity.
2nded

(and most people who don't post on these boards aren't trolls, JCRU)
0 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Mark Macon wrote:Go Local may suck, but they had the UConn story right from the get-go.
They did not; they reported it a done deal at a time when it wasn't a done deal. We all understand now that it was a 99% done deal in Dan's mind, but not the same as reporting it was a done deal.
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

When I have a little extra time over the next few days I plan on sending a quick e-mail to all of the advertisers currently on GoLocal, steer them to the fake article and URI's response and then ask them to stop advertising on GoLocal due to their devious reporting. Probably won't do much but figure I would give it shot. GoLocal won't go away until their advertising support does.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

sandman012 wrote:
Mark Macon wrote:Go Local may suck, but they had the UConn story right from the get-go.
They did not; they reported it a done deal at a time when it wasn't a done deal. We all understand now that it was a 99% done deal in Dan's mind, but not the same as reporting it was a done deal.
Po-tay-toe po-tah-toe... To me, that sounds like they got it right. I think I may have seen two articles from them, including last night's.
I see there's a lot of hate for golocal, and I get the lameness of no bylines/accountability, but do folks have examples of undeniable 'misses' or incorrect reporting? Not just effed up opinions, or stuff that jacks up emotions around here, 'cause those are everywhere, but flat out, known misses?
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:"Probably a good call to stick with Twitter"...THAT is seriously laughable under ANY circumstances...
unfortunately not, this thread is a dumpster fire
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

People, please stop baiting each other. Just be happy none of us is the AD. Whoever Thorr and Dooley come up with I'll be routing for him to bring us to new heights, leaving UConn and PC in the dust. If you're a fan, your plan should be to get behind who ever comes in next at least until results start to roll in.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would expect that Goodman or Rothstein will break the news tomorrow, probably something to the effect of an "agreement in principle has been reached with ????" Contract to be finalized shortly with a presser later this week.

It will be a huge shocker if Cox doesn't get it.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I think a Dooley / ECU marriage makes the most sense for both parties.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote:I would expect that Goodman or Rothstein will break the news tomorrow, probably something to the effect of an "agreement in principle has been reached with ????" Contract to be finalized shortly with a presser later this week.

It will be a huge shocker if Cox doesn't get it.
I was expecting Cox to be named, too, but the recruits tweets had an odd timing to them. Someone told them to tweet their support of Cox, without a doubt.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

sandman012 wrote: 2nded

(and most people who don't post on these boards aren't trolls, JCRU)
If you don’t want me to keep posting, then why do you idiots keep calling me out?
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

this thread needs a little

2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

sandman012 wrote: unfortunately not, this thread is a dumpster fire
Yeah, and you’re now part of it
0 x