2018 NCAA Tournament Talk

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2018 NCAA Tournament Talk

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
Blue Man wrote:The thing that sucks the most watching this weekend's games, is that if Xavier and Duke were swapped as seeds (they should have been), it would've been us and Kansas (presuming we had a good shooting night against Cuse's zone).

Duke deserved to be a 1 and should've been playing Michigan for a final four spot.
This is a lot of absurdity packed into a short post. Duke lost six league games and didn't win the conference tournament title (didn't even make finals). They didn't earn a #1 seed in any form or fashion. And Cuse would have murdered us if master tactician Cox tried the same exact scheme against the Cuse zone. We would have all of a sudden looked good against the same defense (top 5 in the country by the way)? I am still so p*ssed about how we played that zone and even more pissed by the general "oh well...they were just too good to beat" theme. Makes me sick.
Duke was the 2nd 2 seed. Xavier the last 1 seed. That's not that big of a stretch to think they could've been swapped.

To beat a zone you need to have a good shooting night. We shot below 40%. We missed open looks left, right and center. We missed open layups. I don't understand what's so absurd about that.

The larger point is that it's all about draws and luck when it comes to tournament time. Are you going to tell me Loyola Chicago is the 4th best team in the country? They're not. They got matchups that gave them a chance with their style of play. They've also been on fire shooting-wise.
So how come people thought it was nuts when I said we should have beaten Duke two or three out of ten times? Yes, we missed a handful of bunnies but Duke funneled us to the worst shots on the floor. A well designed game plan gives us a chance at that 25% chance to win. The one we had was about one in 250.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

GBG I appreciate your posts here - you definitely add a perspective that goes against the consensus which is super valuable even if I disagree with it. I just think it's hysterical when people think that they know a much better gameplan that is so obvious. As if you know more about the strengths and weaknesses of the team and how to go about attempting to beat another team (that again, they know way more about than you do). The intellectual hubris astounds me...
5 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

sf2010 wrote:GBG I appreciate your posts here - you definitely add a perspective that goes against the consensus which is super valuable even if I disagree with it. I just think it's hysterical when people think that they know a much better gameplan that is so obvious. As if you know more about the strengths and weaknesses of the team and how to go about attempting to beat another team (that again, they know way more about than you do). The intellectual hubris astounds me...
That's fair. Maybe they didn't think they had the guy to run through the middle of the zone. It's just frustrating to see another team do it so well (albeit with a different roster). And it's even more frustrating that we never really tried it until the last ten minutes and it worked. I get that it is a different mode when you are up 25 points but URI scored 21 points the last ten minutes (and that is with hardly anything at the very end). You could have parked an aircraft carrier in the middle of that zone.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

CYO is full of zones. I can attest to that.

My favorite part of the CYO zone is when you're far from the ball and it goes up and you think "oh ****! I gotta rebound!"
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

sf2010 wrote:I mean, Grayson Allen is one of the most annoying / shitty people in CBB and I am super glad that Duke lost...but watch the video. Not a terrible look given the circumstances. https://t.co/NxLqC3465s

The shot was most definitely not left-handed and damn near went in. Some people here talk like it's the easiest thing in the world to draw up / execute a perfect play to convert on a final possession.
At the end of the game, when Dullard Nantz was glorifying Allen -- a reprehensible spoiled-brat little sh!t if ever there was one -- I threw up in my mouth. College basketball got 50 percent better when that game ended just by losing Allen.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't think Grayson Allen will make the NBA not a big fan
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

not a fan of Allen at all, but he definitely makes it...maybe around the same skill level as Bob Sura, with a few less boards
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Is there an easy-to-understand article anywhere that tells how much a school gets paid for making the ncaat? For example, how much is loyola up to now? And over how long is it paid, etc...?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

you earn a credit for ever game you appear in, credits are around $1.6 million paid out over 6 years (~$266K per year per credit).

Loyola has 5 credits for this years tournament so around $8 million paid out over 6 years (~$1.33 million per year)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

so...for URI...last two years, 2 games each year, $6.4M...they get roughly $1M per year now? (with about half that last year and the year in 6 years)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yes, they have to share some of that with the conference so I believe we net out around 700-800k per year for next 5
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I keep seeing this I think you are under valuing it. Have to factor in the units of the other a10 teams to go to NCAA too. 3 appearances by Bonnie's and Davidson are paid out to 25% to conference. So you have some of that money coming in as well to help nullify any you lose to paying your own units out.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

See you space the floor and hit 15 threes a half and having a center isnt that big of a deal!
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

sevegny7 wrote:I keep seeing this I think you are under valuing it. Have to factor in the units of the other a10 teams to go to NCAA too. 3 appearances by Bonnie's and Davidson are paid out to 25% to conference. So you have some of that money coming in as well to help nullify any you lose to paying your own units out.
Last year URI earned $3.423 million. They get 75% ($2.567 million) over 6 years ($428,000/year). Assuming the value of this year’s units are the same, they earned another $428,000/year for six years. So a total of $856,000/year when the years overlap. This year’s units will probably be slightly higher than last year.

The conference share is spread evenly across 14 teams. Assuming the A10 has avg 4 units (games) per year for the last six years, URI would get about $100,000 per year. It is probably included in the basketball budget.

https://herosports.com/ncaa-tournament/ ... -fund-a7a7
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Villanova looked really good tonight

It will be interesting to see if Michigan can give them a game Monday nightv
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

reef wrote:Wow Villanova looked really good tonight

It will be interesting to see if Michigan can give them a game Monday nightv

Could be a record for threes hoisted.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Will there be a ram tonight on “shining moment”? Rooting for fatts and the steal and three. (I know, too long)
1 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Nova wins the well deserved 'ship. They certainly had the best team in cbb
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

neil wrote:Will there be a ram tonight on “shining moment”? Rooting for fatts and the steal and three. (I know, too long)
My guess is Leviton makes another appearance. Probably the laying down on the ground with the 3's in the air move.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

adam914 wrote:
neil wrote:Will there be a ram tonight on “shining moment”? Rooting for fatts and the steal and three. (I know, too long)
My guess is Leviton makes another appearance. Probably the laying down on the ground with the 3's in the air move.
Someone post it. This old guy can’t stay up any longer.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just a few quick shots of Rhody. Dowtin, EC and Fatts each made it but no specific memorable plays.
1 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

adam914 wrote:Just a few quick shots of Rhody. Dowtin, EC and Fatts each made it but no specific memorable plays.
Loved seeing Jeff dribbling right off the bat
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jeff and EC make One Shinning moment. Fatts covering Trae.
EC on the sick cross over that opened him up for the three in first game.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote:Jeff and EC make One Shinning moment. Fatts covering Trae.
EC on the sick cross over that opened him up for the three in first game.

Duke scoring a break away layup with Stan (I think) trailing the play.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Yeah, I tried to ignore that one.
3 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

FB had a longer string...
RI>Albany>NH>Georgia Southern>South Alabama>Troy>LSU>Auburn>Alabama

MBB is easy...
RI>PC>Nova

Can we do it for WBB?
RI>???>ND

:D
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I saw an article where a Michigan Alum had a futures bet worth $1 million if Michigan won. I sure hope that guy bet a couple hundred thousand on Villanova.
0 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

theblueram wrote:I saw an article where a Michigan Alum had a futures bet worth $1 million if Michigan won. I sure hope that guy bet a couple hundred thousand on Villanova.
He did...330k on the Villanova money line
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The thing that stood out to me is Nova's size. They have a rep for playing small, but Bridges, Spellman, and Paschal are big guys. Obviously very active as well. They killed Michigan on the boards. Needless to say their guards were great too.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nova was a really good team , well deserved title won All games by double figs
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

One Shining Moment (2018)

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Am I the only one who thought it was poorly done this year? Pretty much the worst version that I can remember. They jammed so many short clips into it, it was actually hard to watch. Such a great tradition and one that college hoops fans always look forward to, especially when you think your school will be in it. If you can barely identify a player or school's jersey, than it defeats the purpose. Maybe they were trying to play up the "madness" and excitement of the tourney by using quick cuts but it didn't work. I say we demand a remake :)
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rhodyrudder wrote: Can we do it for WBB?
RI>???>ND

:D
Challenge accepted :D :D

URI>LaSalle>St. Bonaventure>Niagara>Buffalo>Florida St>Louisville>Notre Dame

Feel free to check my math :D :D
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

looney Lunardi has his first way too early bracket out for next year's tourney.

He has Davidson as the A10 champ as a 12 seed and nobody else from the conference.

And no PC.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

rambone 78 wrote:looney Lunardi has his first way too early bracket out for next year's tourney.

He has Davidson as the A10 champ as a 12 seed and nobody else from the conference.

And no PC.

I wouldn't be too concerned, considering his accuracy. I did a quick scan of his prediction before the start of this past session, and he missed at least 13 of the 36 at-large bid picks he made.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

rambone 78 wrote:looney Lunardi has his first way too early bracket out for next year's tourney.

And no PC.
And this is relevant because...why??????
1 x