The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Tate is a MAN. Also wicked excited about a potential big time transfer.
1 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good linky re Tate looks solid
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymadness401
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodymadness401 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
theblueram wrote:That Tate interview on Rhody Rampage was pretty good. He is going to be great in the A10!
Here's the interview. I retweeted it from Nikc Coit of ABC 6.

Lets make the right decision, because if DC isn't the coach we will never see Dana on Campus, why ? Coach Boswell recruited Dana from Expressions Elite the same program as Jared Terrell. If DC isn't the coach Boswell will not be on staff, Dana Tate is clearly the ambassador of this class, we need to do the right thing.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhodymadness401 wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:
theblueram wrote:That Tate interview on Rhody Rampage was pretty good. He is going to be great in the A10!

Lets make the right decision, because if DC isn't the coach we will never see Dana on Campus, why ? Coach Boswell recruited Dana from Expressions Elite the same program as Jared Terrell. If DC isn't the coach Boswell will not be on staff, Dana Tate is clearly the ambassador of this class, we need to do the right thing.
I am 100% a Dana Tate fan! Mature, smart guy with a great game. Can't wait to see him tearing up the nets in Keaney Blue!!!!
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Can we just make this DC hire official so he can move on filling his staff and recruiting please! It’s time already!
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would be nice but not until Tuesday at the earliest...and it looks like Wednesday will be the day. Whoever they interview will be Tuesday.

State hiring rules and all that.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Now we are afraid to lose a coach that got a college degree on line at 38 years old. What is in the kool-aid you people are drinking. While you're at it, keep sending in those $20.18 checks. If we get 100,000 checks, we can renovate Tootell.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

What the hell does when or how he got his degree have anything to do with anything? Borderline inappropriate statement. If you want to make a substantive argument why a certain coach should or shouldn't be retained or whatever, go for it. But if you base it on an ad hominem attack on that coach then you're walking a very thin line.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I have spent the last week at TF Green. My food and booze bill is getting high. I have not seen anyone arriving that might be interviewing for the job. Anyone want to to take a shift?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hurley Show wrote:I have spent the last week at TF Green. My food and booze bill is getting high. I have not seen anyone arriving that might be interviewing for the job. Anyone want to to take a shift?
You might want to go to Logan.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Hurley Show wrote:I have spent the last week at TF Green. My food and booze bill is getting high. I have not seen anyone arriving that might be interviewing for the job. Anyone want to to take a shift?
You might want to go to Logan.
Haha....correct.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Now we are afraid to lose a coach that got a college degree on line at 38 years old. What is in the kool-aid you people are drinking. While you're at it, keep sending in those $20.18 checks. If we get 100,000 checks, we can renovate Tootell.
and your coach Cooley only got into Stonehill, and had to take the SAT 4x just to score high enough to be eligible (the 4th being because he was accused of cheating on the 3rd)
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Now we are afraid to lose a coach that got a college degree on line at 38 years old. What is in the kool-aid you people are drinking. While you're at it, keep sending in those $20.18 checks. If we get 100,000 checks, we can renovate Tootell.
ehhhmmm, when you decide it's a good idea to attack someone use the the singular form of the pronoun please because you are not a we and we don't want to be associated with you.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yianni, please use my avatar.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yianni is helpfully bringing the information from this board out to the larger public. We see you, Yianni.
4 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I wonder if KB will ever be referenced as someone's news source...
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhodymadness401 wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:

What's the right thing? The only right thing is hire the best candidate. I am sure Tate can play and everyone in this 2018 class is like Webber, Rose, Howard, King, Jackson but we nee to stop acting like we need to appease these kids.
0 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

Running Ram wrote:
ehhhmmm, when you decide it's a good idea to attack someone use the the singular form of the pronoun please because you are not a we and we don't want to be associated with you.

FWIW CD is a "we". Long time Rhody fan. He is one of us...
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Rhodekill wrote:FWIW CD is a "we". Long time Rhody fan. He is one of us...
Ok but that's not my point, the larger point is, sure be critical, questioning, post your thoughts and associate yourself with your KB kin with the plural pronoun 'we' but when you attack one of our own please use the singular form of the pronoun so as not to include me or anyone else in your attack. The comment I'm referring to is ridiculous and aloof and definitely not representative of the "we" that is referenced.
5 x
Go Rhody!!!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Hopefully sooner than later this week they announce the hire.

The staff will be an interesting point. The transfer/1 open scholarship is interesting.

Would also like to see a video series of the summer workouts.

Maybe a projo piece about how Cox is getting along with players coming back that play with the team in the summer. Couple quotes in support of the new hire.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

And I have spent the last week off the board only to discover someone has decided to appropriate my avatar. Whatup with that, Hurley Show? And while we're at it, you may want to change your screen name - unless you're a UConn fan.
2 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

PeteRI wrote:
And I have spent the last week off the board only to discover someone has decided to appropriate my avatar. Whatup with that, Hurley Show? And while we're at it, you may want to change your screen name - unless you're a UConn fan.
Sorry Pete, didn’t know that avatar was already in use. I wanted a Fatts pic, but the first 20 I tried were too big.

I requested a name change, but they haven’t done it yet.

Anything else bothering you?
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Finally, 2 to 3 more days of speculation, then months of praising/speculating/moaning/2nd guessing and a million other things until November.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steviep123 wrote:Finally, 2 to 3 more days of speculation, then months of praising/speculating/moaning/2nd guessing and a million other things until November.
Can't wait!
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

jcru wrote:I will say this: at least DC_Rams get's it, because you guys are in denial.

At least he gets that whether you hire David Cox or someone like Joe Dooley, it's the same deal: you need to temper your expectations because we just lost the entire nucleus of a senior loaded experienced team.

With Cox, arguably, there MAY be a few fewer player departures, be we don't know that for fact because none of us have a crystal ball.

NCAAT is a pipe dream.
You are going to have probably the best backcourt and big man in the conference next year anything short of another ncaa bid would be a disappointment.
9 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Hurley Show wrote:
PeteRI wrote:
Sorry Pete, didn’t know that avatar was already in use. I wanted a Fatts pic, but the first 20 I tried were too big.

I requested a name change, but they haven’t done it yet.

Anything else bothering you?
Thanks. Yeah, can you do something about this friggin spring blizzard? :shock:
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Huge surprise could come out of this process.....

Stay tuned Ram Fans. The lid remains tightly on and this thread is 99.7% BS

Nothing wrong with that.

.03% pizza talk is killa
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Just to mix it up a bit, the first business day of every month a bunch of us get Thai food from Siam Lotus in Norwood, MA:

http://www.siamlotusrestaurant.com/

Good stuff. The Savory Noodles, Noodles and Tender Beef, and Chicken Fried Rice are my 3 favorite dishes. It's one of the best places around.

Other favorite Thai places are Noodle Market (new place - Thai/Vietnamese) in Arlington, MA and Yummy's Thai Cuisine on Mass Ave in Cambridge, MA (North Cambridge, on Mass Avenue in between the Arlington/Cambridge border and Porter Square).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......give me three all the way......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

steviep123 wrote:Just to mix it up a bit, the first business day of every month a bunch of us get Thai food from Siam Lotus in Norwood, MA:

http://www.siamlotusrestaurant.com/

Good stuff. The Savory Noodles, Noodles and Tender Beef, and Chicken Fried Rice are my 3 favorite dishes. It's one of the best places around.

Other favorite Thai places are Noodle Market (new place - Thai/Vietnamese) in Arlington, MA and Yummy's Thai Cuisine on Mass Ave in Cambridge, MA (North Cambridge, on Mass Avenue in between the Arlington/Cambridge border and Porter Square).
Love good Thai. My favorites in Boston area are Bangkok Bistro(Brighton) and sweet rice(Charlestown)
1 x
Clapton is God
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Little Duck in Quincy is also good. Actually a funny story - my now-wife and I were living in Quincy when we were planning our honeymoon and were getting food from Little Duck so frequently that she jokingly suggested we should go to Thailand for the food. She was fixated on Bora Bora at the time, so the Thailand suggestion prompted me to look into Phuket as an affordable alternative, and next thing I know I'd booked our honeymoon. Thailand has a funny reputation among some people who hear Bangkok and think the only reason to go there is for weird sex tourism, but we could not recommend a trip any more highly than our trip to Thailand. We hopped around the country a bit over 3 weeks and every place fantasitic. Nicest people, best food, great climate, awesome exchange rate...the whole nine.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

brady1 wrote:Well with the current upward momentum that URI has I would assume whoever gets the job should be able to bring in an impact 5th year senior scorer if that is a key to us Dancing next year. Thinking if Coach Cox has the inside track on the job he’s working on this as we speak.

GO RHODY!
Looking at a few transfers who fall in your "scorer" category from the DC area that I have no idea if we'd have any interest include Dion Wiley from Maryland, Andre Fox from High Point and Mike Cunningham from USC Upstate. Cunningham is a 6' grad transfer who averaged 14ppg, Andre Fox averaged 13 ppg and would sit one to play two (I believe) and Dion would be a grad transfer who averaged 6 ppg in 20 minutes for Maryland. Kory Holden also is a grad transfer from South Carolina. Didn't get much playing time last year at SC after transferring in from Delaware where he scored 17 ppg.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Huge surprise could come out of this process.....

Nothing wrong with that.

.03% pizza talk is killa
Care to elaborate at all? Surprise in terms of the coach? A Player? Facilities?
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We are losing 5 experienced players and 53.7 points a game. Two conference player of the year
candidates , a Defensive player of the year candidate. We are returning a sophomore and 2 juniors
that contributed 23 points per game. Even if they increase their production by 50% that's still only
30.7 points per game. You still need another 20 points per game. Just to break even with the losses.
then you need to account for freshman mistakes at critical times and not finishing games . There is
a learning curve going from even high level high school competition to the A10. Not saying they
can't do it. But saying anything short of NCAAT is a disappointment is being a little delusional.
IMHO . An NIT berth and a strong showing would be a solid year.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree, almost every fan base in the country overestimates the impact their freshman will have. If even 1 of them was a significant contributor by A10 play it would be a bonus. 2 or more and it's absolutely a gold rush. Learning curve is steep. Even for Harris...look at Earl Watson at PC, he was a 4 star dominant high school big man. He looked lost at times on the court, and had many games late in the year when he played sparingly. How impactful was Terrell as a FR? Can't expect Martin, Tate or Adams to do anything near that, Jared was a Top 60 player. What we have going for us is 3 starter-quality guys returning (Dowtin plus Cyril and Fatts), and experienced bench players (Thompson, Akele, Layssard and Preston) whom you would expect 1-2 to take a step up with more opportunity. Add a grad transfer and that is what we should be counting on and just accepting anything from the FR is gravy.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

CHICO 78 wrote:We are losing 5 experienced players and 53.7 points a game. Two conference player of the year
candidates , a Defensive player of the year candidate. We are returning a sophomore and 2 juniors
that contributed 23 points per game. Even if they increase their production by 50% that's still only
30.7 points per game. You still need another 20 points per game. Just to break even with the losses.
then you need to account for freshman mistakes at critical times and not finishing games . There is
a learning curve going from even high level high school competition to the A10. Not saying they
can't do it. But saying anything short of NCAAT is a disappointment is being a little delusional.
IMHO . An NIT berth and a strong showing would be a solid year.
While I agree with all this, any year that doesn't end in an NCAA bid to me is a disappointment. But it would not be a catastrophe. Last year not making it would have been a catastrophe. Making the show should be the goal every season. But some seasons are closer to a sure thing than others.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Huge surprise could come out of this process.....

Nothing wrong with that.

.03% pizza talk is killa
Care to elaborate at all? Surprise in terms of the coach? A Player? Facilities?
I think the most important part of his post, the part that informs how you should read all of the rest of it, is the part where he says 99.7% of what is on this board is b.s.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think the focus tends to be on what gets "lost", because no one really knows what's being gained. Last year around this time, if I remember correctly, all the discussion was around losing KI/Hass and how URI couldn't possibly replace them and be as good this year as they were the previous year. After watching them be better this year than last, despite all that "KI/Hass are gone and so are our hopes" talk turning into such a great ride this year... I'm just banking on next year's team being better than this year...because I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think it won't be.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

As long as Jeff Dowtin is our point guard I expect to make the tournament every year.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We may not be as good as this year, but the more I read and watch these freshman, the better I like our chances.
Tyrese Martins video where he goes toe to toe with Cam Reddish is really encouraging. Reddish is the number 2 payer in the country. If someone didn't know Reddish was the number 2 player and you told them it was Tyrese, they would believe you.
Harris is the best player in the metro area.
Tate and Adams look ready to go.
We have as legitimate a shot as anyone to win the A-10 regular season again.
That's what you can do when you have the most talented roster in the conference.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

PeteRI wrote:And I have spent the last week off the board only to discover someone has decided to appropriate my avatar. Whatup with that, Hurley Show? And while we're at it, you may want to change your screen name - unless you're a UConn fan.
Hey, steviep123 literally stole that avatar that I made with "paintshop pro" back like 18-19 years ago, so don't feel bad lol.

stevie will argue that that ram logo has been around for ages, and it has, but I can tell that was the one I specifically made for my old website, because I chose that particular shade of blue and also the Navy myself. That started off as a humongous outline (that someone else drew, so I did steal it first) that I took an old scanner back in 1999-2000 and scanned it into a computer file, and then colored in the letters and then inside of the ram, etc, and then shrunk it down to that size, which is like 1/32 of the original, so you can't see all of the little imperfections that the original picture had.

It used to be in the header of the URI Rams website that I was running.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

jcru wrote:
PeteRI wrote:And I have spent the last week off the board only to discover someone has decided to appropriate my avatar. Whatup with that, Hurley Show? And while we're at it, you may want to change your screen name - unless you're a UConn fan.
Hey, steviep123 literally stole that avatar that I made with "paintshop pro" back like 18-19 years ago, so don't feel bad lol.

stevie will argue that that ram logo has been around for ages, and it has, but I can tell that was the one I specifically made for my old website, because I chose that particular shade of blue and also the Navy myself. That started off as a humongous outline (that someone else drew, so I did steal it first) that I took an old scanner back in 1999-2000 and scanned it into a computer file, and then colored in the letters and then inside of the ram, etc, and then shrunk it down to that size, which is like 1/32 of the original, so you can't see all of the little imperfections that the original picture had.

I think I had that avatar from day one of this site. I don't remember were I got it from, probably a Google image search. Been meaning to change it anyway, so if it bothers you fine.

Mods, what are the rules of grabbing an image in a Google search and using it for your avatar?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I forgive you, stevie! haha
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
jcru wrote:

I think I had that avatar from day one of this site. I don't remember were I got it from, probably a Google image search. Been meaning to change it anyway, so if it bothers you fine.

Mods, what are the rules of grabbing an image in a Google search and using it for your avatar?
As long as it isn't pornographic, I don't think there are any rules. This is an absurd conversation lol.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I knew that would bother him, but as they say... true story
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

jcru wrote:

So if that was 1999-2000, that must have been about 15-20 years after Al Gore stole your idea to invent the internet?
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That proves absolutely nothing, TP.

Now, if you had done that 15 years ago, THEN you might have had a point.
0 x