The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by Obadiah »

As a point of information, with a subscription to ProJo, either print or electronic, you are automatically given free access to the Washington Post website.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Obadiah wrote:As a point of information, with a subscription to ProJo, either print or electronic, you are automatically given free access to the Washington Post website.
Does that work in reverse? I have a digital subscription to the Washington Post. It doesn't seem to give me access to the Projo....should it?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

steviep123 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:As a point of information, with a subscription to ProJo, either print or electronic, you are automatically given free access to the Washington Post website.
Does that work in reverse? I have a digital subscription to the Washington Post. It doesn't seem to give me access to the Projo....should it?
I assume it works in reverse, but you have to sign in to get that accomplished. My suggestion is to contact the Post and inquire if there is reciprocity and if applicable how to go about implementing the access.
1 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

How can we go five hours without a post on here?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Everything has been said. Until next week...
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Ed Cooley was the Head Coach at Fairfield for FIVE YEARS before taking the PC job. He was paid less than $600,000 his last year at Fairfield.
His first year at PC he earned $783,513.
Chris Mack was paid $484,399 his first year as Head Coach at Xavier.
Can you drop it now?
I had to go back and comment. Chris Mack, a Xavier alum and coach who was making $1.7 mill at X and was a number 1 seed this year, just left his school for $ 4 mill. We offered DH $2 mill a year. That was more than what Mack was making at X. So if you think paying someone less than what the job expectations are is the way to go, that dude is walking the first out.
You tried to make a point that other schools don’t start out a first year head coach at a lower salary but pay based on “expectations”. The facts were posted to show you were wrong (Cooley & Mack).

So now you comeback with some twisted story about Chris Mack. You bring up the “expectations”again. Chris Mack didn’t expect to be the #1 seed. Chris Mack performed. His team has been at the top of the Big East with Nova for 5 years. His team made the Tournament all 5 years in the BE. He was the Head Coach at Xavier for NINE years and been in the Tournament 8 of those years. Boy did he bail on them. I hope David Cox doesn’t have the same track record as Chris Mack did at Xavier :D
You really should drop this point.
Seriously not a story I made up. What did X expect from their no longer coach? What did their fans expect? Just to make the NCAAT? I guess, considering they were paying him less than Cooley. In fact, he was one of the lowest paid coaches in the nBE. So I'm guessing the assistant taking over for him is due to make $750k based on what people are saying on this board. Good luck with that. And I didn't say teams were paying coaches based on expectations. I was saying they SHOULD pay coaches based on expectations.
Last edited by theblueram 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

You pay Cox what he'll accept to take the job. That's what agents and administrators do. You guys ever take an economics class? If he'll take the job for 750k (plus whatever bumps maybe for performance) than you don't pay him over a million. URI has the leverage here. Use it. They had less with DH and they offered 2MM. This idea to pay based on something other than his value on the market is ridiculous.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Was Mack worth $4 Million?
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Don't compare private schools or public schools (where athletics is independent financially) with a State school such as URI. At URI, the AD needs to fight to keep a high salary base for the head coach in its marquis sport. Better to overpay a new coach and then get rid if him if he doesn't meet expectations. Hurley who made peanuts at Wagner and never went to the tournament got a huge pay increase to coach at URI and more than Baron was getting.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Gonebarongone wrote:You pay Cox what he'll accept to take the job. That's what agents and administrators do. You guys ever take an economics class? If he'll take the job for 750k (plus whatever bumps maybe for performance) than you don't pay him over a million. URI has the leverage here. Use it. They had less with DH and they offered 2MM. This idea to pay based on something other than his value on the market is ridiculous.
Haha not sure why this concept is some hard for some.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:You pay Cox what he'll accept to take the job. That's what agents and administrators do. You guys ever take an economics class? If he'll take the job for 750k (plus whatever bumps maybe for performance) than you don't pay him over a million. URI has the leverage here. Use it. They had less with DH and they offered 2MM. This idea to pay based on something other than his value on the market is ridiculous.
Pay someone minimum wage, you get minimum work.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

theblueram wrote:Was Mack worth $4 Million?
Pitino had a base salary over just over $5 million. Did they pay Mack less because that is his market value or because Louisville's expectations have lowered and they no longer aspire to win championships?
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I posted this to another thread that was talking about the HC search but figured I'd add it here after I read through the most recent posts...

I saw Dooley tonight at Coast Guard House (it was my birthday today). I told him I was going through the seven stages of grief due to Hurley's departure. I am sure he was as well. The group I was chatting with said, "haha Pitino"(in more or less words). Dooley said "NO WAY"(in more or less words).

Please. Please. Please. Put the idea of Pitino to bed. It is NOT happening.

I will also say there is no conjecture. I didn't even mention any other names. In my mind I wanted to say, "so when is Cox getting an offer".....

Dooley did say we would know next week. Hold tight, KB'ers.
8 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

God bless President Dooley.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

theblueram wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
Pay someone minimum wage, you get minimum work.
It honestly makes me sad that someone has this rolling around their noggin.
4 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Good Reporting!

[EDIT] And Happy Birthday!
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Taylor Swift wrote:I posted this to another thread that was talking about the HC search but figured I'd add it here after I read through the most recent posts...

I saw Dooley tonight at Coast Guard House (it was my birthday today). I told him I was going through the seven stages of grief due to Hurley's departure. I am sure he was as well. The group I was chatting with said, "haha Pitino"(in more or less words). Dooley said "NO WAY"(in more or less words).

Please. Please. Please. Put the idea of Pitino to bed. It is NOT happening.

I will also say there is no conjecture. I didn't even mention any other names. In my mind I wanted to say, "so when is Cox getting an offer".....

Dooley did say we would know next week. Hold tight, KB'ers.

Happy Birthday!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I do not think Pitino gets a job this year - stuff reds to settle. I bet this time next year he is more or less cleared and someone gets a great coach. This is year to grab him at a value price. If Dooley is not doing diligence and looking into the allegations to see if we can get a HOF coach at a discount then he is not thinking big. If he has done the looking and still sees red flags, so be it.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Pitino to Bryant at no pay to clear his name.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This thread has officially gone nuts lol
1 x
GO RAMS
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

He needs the "Bro or Mans-ierre"
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

rhodylaw wrote:If Dooley is not doing diligence and looking into the allegations to see if we can get a HOF coach at a discount then he is not thinking big. If he has done the looking and still sees red flags, so be it.
Geesh, you can't please everyone! A national coaching search isn't enough, now we need an international search?! And between the CIA operatives and foreign spies Dooley has to hire we are definitely going to eat through the endowment! :lol: :lol: :lol:
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

We'll know wednesday.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote:We'll know wednesday.
What else have you been hearing?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

BTW, hope everyone had fun before I cleaned up this mess.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote:I do not think Pitino gets a job this year - stuff reds to settle. I bet this time next year he is more or less cleared and someone gets a great coach. This is year to grab him at a value price. If Dooley is not doing diligence and looking into the allegations to see if we can get a HOF coach at a discount then he is not thinking big. If he has done the looking and still sees red flags, so be it.
Even if you “got a HOF coach at a discount”, he would leave as soon as his reputation was repaired for a P5 opportunity.
I don’t even want him for one year.
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Or maybe when it all really hits the fan and the FBI unlike the paper lion NCAA produces
real evidence against Slick Rick he goes down in flames!!! Disgraced and out of basketball
for good with a horribly tarnished ( once HOF) career a pile of smoldering ash. Leaving all those
people who rode with him covered with his stench. But HE WAS ALWAYS A WINNER and isn't that
all that matters. So lets take a chance on him and roll those dice. Maybe it won't stick to our program.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

[quote="CHICO 78"]Or maybe when it all really hits the fan and the FBI unlike the paper lion NCAA produces
real evidence against Slick Rick he goes down in flames!!! Disgraced and out of basketball
for good with a horribly tarnished ( once HOF) career a pile of smoldering ash.
Leaving all those
people who rode with him covered with his stench. But HE WAS ALWAYS A WINNER and isn't that
all that matters. So lets take a chance on him and roll those dice. Maybe it won't stick to our program.[/quote]

Never gonna happen....not saying it should or shouldn't...just that it won't.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Slick Ricks sits one more year then gets a middle of the road P5 job
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

DB’s Pizza in Wakefield tonight

Yum!

Pizza poach!!!

2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:DB’s Pizza in Wakefield tonight

Yum!

Pizza poach!!!

Kingston Pizza for me again!!! Nothing else to talk about. Might as well be pizza.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I did Kingston Pizza yesterday for opening day.

Pie was decent Sawx were not. But
DB’s blows Kingston away. Good pie!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm rooting for the Mets this year. My boy Rusty Staub just passed away.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Iggy is right. Decision day Wednesday....presser likely Friday.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Iggy is right. Decision day Wednesday....presser likely Friday.
Iggy is usually right.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ATPTourFan wrote:BTW, hope everyone had fun before I cleaned up this mess.
Did I miss something? :D
Boy, you can't step away for a minute these days.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I have heard from a few different people giving a similar timeline. The question is what that means for who will be named. I have heard that the decision has been effectively made that it is Cox. I've also heard that more interviews will occur between now and Tuesday, and that the interviews are not for show - that while Cox may be the "leader" they are going to have an honest interview process with several coaches (haven't been able to confirm names), and if they are blown away then they could hire someone other than Cox. I'm not sure if these are competing accounts, or if both things can be true at the same time - i.e., they've decided they want to hire Cox but they will give other candidates the opportunity to change their minds.

A few interesting points for trying to read the tea leaves: that the candidates that they will interview have not been floated out, which indicates to me that they are really not doing a dog and pony show and that these are serious interviews; and that everyone seems to be hearing a decision will be made on Wednesday, with interviews happening presumably right up until Tuesday, which indicates to me that they would really have to be "blown away" otherwise it is Cox, because they're not baking in a lot of deliberation time (new drinking game if they hire someone other than Cox will be times that phrase is used by Thorr in the subsequent days).

On the last point, just thinking back to UConn's pursuit of Hurley, if they decided on someone they interviewed on a Tuesday and "decide" on Wednesday, they will have to come to an agreement in principle almost immediately (at which point people will start reporting URI is hiring whoever) and then they won't be able to formally introduce the person at a press conference until Friday so they can reduce the agreed upon terms to writing and get the contract thru attorney review and signed. I'm honestly skeptical that that process can really happen on that timeline, unless they have let the candidates know the basic terms they're offering and the candidates have to be willing to accept those basic terms in order to take the interview. But part of the reason I thought there was more to the story of how Dan ended up at UConn is because of the timeline of how that played out with respect to the end of our season. If URI goes with Cox on that timeline it won't really tell me anything about the Hurley situation one way or the other, because if they've already decided on Cox they could have the agreement more or less in place already. If they go with someone else, it might make me rethink a little bit what my opinion is on what happened with Hurley and UConn.

End of the day, if I had to bet, I think it is going to be Cox. I think he makes the most sense, and I feel like that is the way the wind is blowing (predominantly, but not entirely). I don't know exactly who they are interviewing, but there is nobody that I'm aware of under consideration that would represent enough of an upgrade over Cox to justify starting over from scratch.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The presser is on Friday because of media availability, otherwise it would be Thursday.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

rhodyrudder wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:BTW, hope everyone had fun before I cleaned up this mess.
Did I miss something? :D
Boy, you can't step away for a minute these days.
You might say people were "Russian" to post.

Back to the important pizza decisions, I got thin crust at an unexpected place yesterday, the new BJ's Brewhouse in Warwick (the old RI Mall Sears Tire Center). Very good, and apparently they also have deep dish style. Can do a Pepsi challenge with the Uno's being a stone's throw away.

My only complaint is BJ's reminds of a "Yard House lite", big fan of those chain restaurants which the closest locations are around the Boston area. BJ's has a lot of their own beers which are ok, a good amount of guest taps including Ragged Island which was welcome, and similar options/pricing of food as YH. But I give Yard House the edge on atmosphere (negative is a little less kid friendly), food options, and a crap ton of taps more than BJ's...
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:The presser is on Friday because of media availability, otherwise it would be Thursday.
I presume KMac will be there for the ProJo since Koch is now with the Red Sox. Has anyone heard who the new basketball beat writer is going to be?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The media issue is because of Sox opening day at Fenway Thursday.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Really hoping it’s Cox. Not only do I think he’s the right man for the job, but to see us go in a different direction followed by our recruits, some players, and Cox heading for UConn would put me in a bad bad place mentally.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Hurley was announced by UCONN before a contract was signed. If you have an agreement in principle, and one party welshes, then I don't think the other party would go through with any deal. There are good reasons for getting a deal done and announced.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The coach and school usually sign a memorandum of understanding before any announcement. The fine points of the contract are worked out after that. The memorandum would include all compensation amounts.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Where da sources at
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

PeterRamTime wrote:Where da sources at
Iggy is as solid as they come. Trust him.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Iggy is a source. He called the Dan Hurley hire first. And a lot more stuff before that. He's basically money in the bank when it comes to this stuff.
0 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

steviep123 wrote:
I have a one year Post digital subscription, and in my settings the only extra I can see is that I am allowed to share my Post digital subscription with one other person for a year.
0 x