The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Wow so Pitt sorta hit it out of the park. I know people don't like Capel, but he has tremendous experience.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:The big money that the BE schools get from Fox has 7 more years left to run....when that contract is up, will they continue to get that much?

The difference between PC's BB budget and ours is largely due to that 4 million a year.....
These days, "7 more years" is like...forever...
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Big East coaches are not immune to the lure of football money....maybe Wright is...Ewing and Mullin probably are based on pro earnings and being at their alma mater....and Cooley because he is home.....all others could move up monetarily....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:The big money that the BE schools get from Fox has 7 more years left to run....when that contract is up, will they continue to get that much?

The difference between PC's BB budget and ours is largely due to that 4 million a year.....
These days, "7 more years" is like...forever...
In 5-6 years Cincy, Houston & SMU will not be in the AAC. The next realignment for the P5 is 23-24 when TV contracts expire for three of the P5. They will be adding teams. Schools with solid Football and Basketball will be reaching for that gloden ring. UCONN end up the odd school out again.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If UConn can't get into a football conference that pays the big TV bucks, they could and should save millions by dropping back down in football.

They are like us....basketball centric, and of course they have that women's team.....

When the BE expands it might be their only shot.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It will be very interesting to see how FoxSports1 handles the new contract with BigEast. Ratings are poor but who else has the inventory of content that time of year?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What do we get from all TV sources? About 400K a year?

Hopefully that will get bumped up some next time around.

Don't see much of an increase though....the A10 has just too many horse barns and small draws.....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote:If UConn can't get into a football conference that pays the big TV bucks, they could and should save millions by dropping back down in football.

They are like us....basketball centric, and of course they have that women's team.....

uconn administration prays every year that they don't make a Bowl. Huge losses if they do.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:What do we get from all TV sources? About 400K a year?

Hopefully that will get bumped up some next time around.

Don't see much of an increase though....the A10 has just too many horse barns and small draws.....
Similar to how NCAA units are distributed to the teams that earn them, the A-10 should distribute whatever revenue comes from game broadcasts to the teams that play in the televised games.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Does anybody do that TP? I doubt it.

If they were to do that, do it like you said....give the lion's share [but not all of it] to the teams that get televised games.

Of course even Fordham and LaSalle get a televised game now and then. Ugh.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Does anybody do that TP? I doubt it.

If they were to do that, do it like you said....give the lion's share [but not all of it] to the teams that get televised games.

I bet we could pay those two teams to play us at home rather than on the road.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Does anybody do that TP? I doubt it.

I doubt anybody does that, but the A10 is in a sort of unique spot as a league. Every other league that has a broadcast rights deal where a national network carries a certain number of games is made up of programs that have fan bases large enough to carry a broadcast or two. The A10 is very top heavy; there are programs in our league that can't sell out high school sized gyms and have very little following. They are not creating, or even contributing to, the demand for the league's broadcast rights. Honestly, I see it as another possible way for the league to "coach" certain programs out of the league, the way players that aren't going to play are coached out of a program. The teams that are generating the interest that translates into dollars via broadcast rights should be the ones benefitting.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Texas gets that kind of insane type thing.

At some point you have to try to rise the tide of your league. I mean these teams are bad enough.

[EDIT] What I said about Texas makes no sense. I think the school negotiates its own deal in the BIG12 and has the conference over a barrel.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

In a perfect world I would like to see the top non P5 non football programs get together to create another BE style BB league. Of course that would include us.

They would have the fan and administrative support, and the facilities to attract a large enough audience to get a lucrative TV contract.

Of course it's not going to happen but it sure would be nice.

SPG, Texas and ND are in their own world money wise. They have their own network like the Yankees have YES.

The Longhorn Network brings in some 200 Mil a year or some ridiculous amount like that.
0 x
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

rambone 78 wrote:In a perfect world I would like to see the top non P5 non football programs get together to create another BE style BB league. Of course that would include us.

They would have the fan and administrative support, and the facilities to attract a large enough audience to get a lucrative TV contract.

Of course it's not going to happen but it sure would be nice.

SPG, Texas and ND are in their own world money wise. They have their own network like the Yankees have YES.

The Longhorn Network brings in some 200 Mil a year or some ridiculous amount like that.
Do we not make a ton of money off the Stadium Sports/Facebook Live games?
1 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

No one else is reporting this though...
0 x
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

For those incensed at the 2-2.5 week hiring period for our next head coach, it could be worse...

Imagine just punting the hire for an entire season. That is pretty low rent. Should do wonders for Shore's recruiting.
0 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
giovanni wrote:Kid can play. Even though Ivy League guy, I was not surprised at all he was going to transfer to a level like Xavier. I believe he sat out basically all year with injury. Makai Mason from Yale is a grad transfer going to Baylor too, quite a bit different culture.
Yale...to Baylor?? Wow....
He’s is the kid that lit up Baylor at the Dunk during the NCAA tournament a couple years ago.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

UCONN is paying the price for suing the ACC.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote:UCONN is paying the price for suing the ACC.
And as Billy Joel would say.... "and probably will be for life..."
0 x
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:UCONN is paying the price for suing the ACC.
And as Billy Joel would say.... "and probably will be for life..."
If I'm at a bar and the guy next to me is "making love" to his gin and tonic, I think I probably just take off. Free drinks from John is great and all, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
2 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

The Big 10 conference is the top conference for TV rights. Through Fox, ESPN, CBS, and their own network, each school should get over $50 million in tv revenue (except Rutgers and Maryland, which I believe get full shares beginning next year).

The Longhorn Network plays Texas $15 million per year. The other Big 12 schools can sell their Tier 3 rights, which is one football game, a handful of basketball games, and most of their non-revenue sports. The amounts for the rights vary from $10+ million for Oklahoma down to less than a million for Iowa State.

Notre Dame gets $15 million from NBC, plus a pro rata share of the ACC rights, based on how many games they play on ESPN/ACC.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not sure if this is more coaching related or if it is transfer news (it isn't yet, at least), but thought this was interesting:

Worth noting that Parker Stewart's dad (who tweeted the statement) is the HC at UT-Martin.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Also worth noting that he's a 6' 5" guard who played about 25 minutes per game and avg'd 9 points...for a pretty crappy (understatement) team....
All ACC Academic team seems like a good thing...thinking he'll find a place to play and things will turn out ok for the guy.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Preston can move up a chair if he does not get interest in a head job this offseason.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

UConn's conference running mate. High power league, I tell you. Stuff dreams are made of.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2018

0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Temple under Fran Dunphy hasn't been the same since their move to the AAC. Had made six straight NCAA Tournaments in the A10 prior to moving to the AAC. Since joining the AAC, Dunphy and Temple have made just one NCAA tournament in five years.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I do miss Temple being in the A10.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

STC wrote:Temple under Fran Dunphy hasn't been the same since their move to the AAC. Had made six straight NCAA Tournaments in the A10 prior to moving to the AAC. Since joining the AAC, Dunphy and Temple have made just one NCAA tournament in five years.
case of grass isnt always greener
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Interesting to see how Aaron MCKie will fare at Temple
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Conference realignment coupled with URI’s recent rise has Rhody positioned well for the future.

There is no longer an elite class in the A10, Xavier and Temple are gone, Dayton is rebuilding. This is a key moment for URI to continue their momentum within the A10. If they can get this next hire right they could position themselves to become one of the perennial powers the way X and Temple were.

I have a lot of confidence Bjorn and Dooley will continue guiding URI Basketball towards becoming a perennial power in the A10 filling the void left by those departed teams.

It was very encouraging to see URI was both willing and able to go to $2M annually to try and keep Hurley.

With the strong and engaged leadership we have with Bjorn and Dooley along with increased resources I believe this is a program that can continue their rise and establish itself as the class of the new A10.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
STC wrote:Temple under Fran Dunphy hasn't been the same since their move to the AAC. Had made six straight NCAA Tournaments in the A10 prior to moving to the AAC. Since joining the AAC, Dunphy and Temple have made just one NCAA tournament in five years.
case of grass isnt always greener
Football rules the world. They are on a nice little run over the last five years. I don't think they regret it one bit.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........maybe he was the Iona defense coach.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
If the name sounds familiar, he coached Fordham as interim HC in 2009-10. He was Assoc HC and took over for Derek Whittenburg.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He’s an excellent recruiter.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems like a nice hire for Bryant ???
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIC just fired head men's basketball coach Mike Byrnes, the man that had replaced Bob Walsh. Byrnes went 45-61 in four years leading the Anchhormen. Is it out of the question that Walsh could return to his old job?
0 x
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

The UConn women have not won a national champioship since Danny Hurley became the men's coach there.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If you read the Boneyard, some expect to make the NCAAT next year.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote:If you read the Boneyard, some expect to make the NCAAT next year.

If Hurley thought the pressure was bad at URI, he is in store for a far more intense experience at UConn. In addition to working in the shadow of the ever present Calhoun and living up to past glory of the team while operating in a far different environment, he has to meet the expectations of a very spoiled and unrealistic fan base. I would think he will need a lot more time for meditation in Storrs.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Rhodymadness401
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodymadness401 »

TruePoint wrote:

his is how its suppose to be done, we should take notes.
1 x
Rhodymadness401
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodymadness401 »

Another example how it should be done........If its not BROKE don't try to fix it..........Dave Cox should be the coach.
5 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

rambone 78 wrote:If UConn can't get into a football conference that pays the big TV bucks, they could and should save millions by dropping back down in football.

If UConn was willing to drop down in football they’d be in the big east already. The BE would take them back in a heartbeat. It won’t happen though. They won’t sell on their crap football program.

Texas and OU will leave the B12 eventually and UConn and Cincy will likely take heir place in the new and shittier B12. Probably like 5 years from now though
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

FattsAndFurious wrote:

If UConn was willing to drop down in football they’d be in the big east already. The BE would take them back in a heartbeat. It won’t happen though. They won’t sell on their crap football program.

Texas and OU will leave the B12 eventually and UConn and Cincy will likely take heir place in the new and shittier B12. Probably like 5 years from now though
It makes little to no sense for the Big East to let UConn in. Closer to no than little.
1 x