The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by TruePoint »

jersey Joe wrote:LOLOLOL!! omg I love this F'in forum!!
It is hard to know who/what someone is talking about when they don't quote what they are responding to, but if you were responding to me you might want to re-read what I said or read past the first sentence.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

jcru wrote:This team just had one of it's top two best runs in modern program history (ie. A.K. "After Keaney"), the other being three straight NCAA runs with an Elite Eight in the middle.

And after that, with coaching salaries on the rise, we already have a good Arena, all sorts of perks on the upswing: charter flights, promise of a practice facility, assistant coaches money...

We can't get an on campus interview from a coaching candidate outside the program ?

That's just WEIRD, no matter how you slice it. When people look back on this, locally, etc, they'll look back on THAT
Have you talked to Thorr? Did he confirm nobody ever came on campus for an interview? What about off-campus?
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

His tweet seemed pretty clear to me.
3 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

reckless jake wrote:Man I can't wait until this position is filled and a new head coach is named, there's so much bullshit being posted here in this thread.
Just wondering how you thought a message board thread dedicated to the conjecture of who the next coach will be was going to go? Puppy dogs and rainbows and then an announcement? Generally speaking, I think this is a pretty civil discussion. People just have different ideas on who the next coach should or will be and, certainly, the process in getting there.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:
jcru wrote:This team just had one of it's top two best runs in modern program history (ie. A.K. "After Keaney"), the other being three straight NCAA runs with an Elite Eight in the middle.

And after that, with coaching salaries on the rise, we already have a good Arena, all sorts of perks on the upswing: charter flights, promise of a practice facility, assistant coaches money...

We can't get an on campus interview from a coaching candidate outside the program ?

That's just WEIRD, no matter how you slice it. When people look back on this, locally, etc, they'll look back on THAT
Have you talked to Thorr? Did he confirm nobody ever came on campus for an interview? What about off-campus?
Maybe he has had people on campus but that word generally gets out. If this is a two week search that ends with no reported interviews and Cox? That is an abject disaster. I will not believe for one second that it was a thorough, national search. Coaches on the way up want people to know they are a hot commodity, coaches like a Becker at UVM want to say they are committed to their place, and AD's want to at least act like it was on the up and up. I posted about five names the other day. There are at least 20 more, capable, on the rise candidates. See what is out there! URI basketball is now at a spot to demand at least that.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:

Maybe he has had people on campus but that word generally gets out. If this is a two week search that ends with no reported interviews and Cox? That is an abject disaster. I will not believe for one second that it was a thorough, national search. Coaches on the way up want people to know they are a hot commodity, coaches like a Becker at UVM want to say they are committed to their place, and AD's want to at least act like it was on the up and up. I posted about five names the other day. There are at least 20 more, capable, on the rise candidates. See what is out there! URI basketball is now at a spot to demand at least that.
GBG,
There are plenty of Head Coaches and Top Assistants who would NOT want their names out there.
Why:
They would not want their AD or School President know they were looking - they would want their boss to think they were stable
They absolutely would not want their perspective recruits and current players and longer term future recruits to know they were looking. Other Assistant Coach's and HC's would use that against them on the recruiting paths.
There are some coaches out there who use the media but there are far more than keep all this completely hidden

Remember Hurley was not interviewed on the URI campus by Thorr..... and these days more and more people are hired at all levels from Skype, Zoom, Polycom, etc interviews.

"If this is a two week search that ends with no reported interviews and Cox? That is an abject disaster". ???? This could very well end with Cox getting the job, my guess is 90%, and you will never know most of who Thorr talked to because they would not want their names out. Some maybe, but the majority no.
And Thorr is handling this well. He will be able to announce that he conducted a thorough National search by himself and with his committee, even forgoing the Final 4 to do so, but after all that he and his committee felt that the most qualified candidate to lead URI MBB was right here on campus and that is David Cox. Gives more credibility to David and off we go. Well handled and a great future ahead.
1 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Billyboy78 wrote:
His tweet seemed pretty clear to me.
So did DH’s words :?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:
GBG,
There are plenty of Head Coaches and Top Assistants who would NOT want their names out there.
Why:
They would not want their AD or School President know they were looking - they would want their boss to think they were stable
They absolutely would not want their perspective recruits and current players and longer term future recruits to know they were looking. Other Assistant Coach's and HC's would use that against them on the recruiting paths.
There are some coaches out there who use the media but there are far more than keep all this completely hidden

Remember Hurley was not interviewed on the URI campus by Thorr..... and these days more and more people are hired at all levels from Skype, Zoom, Polycom, etc interviews.

"If this is a two week search that ends with no reported interviews and Cox? That is an abject disaster". ???? This could very well end with Cox getting the job, my guess is 90%, and you will never know most of who Thorr talked to because they would not want their names out. Some maybe, but the majority no.
And Thorr is handling this well. He will be able to announce that he conducted a thorough National search by himself and with his committee, even forgoing the Final 4 to do so, but after all that he and his committee felt that the most qualified candidate to lead URI MBB was right here on campus and that is David Cox. Gives more credibility to David and off we go. Well handled and a great future ahead.
I'm a little surprised Thorr is NOT going to the Final 4.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
GBG,
Why:

I'm a little surprised Thorr is NOT going to the Final 4.
Thor announced in his press conference that the search would take 2.5 to 3 weeks and he would announce after the Final 4. He and his team would be working in nothing else.
My guess is he has made his decision or is closing in and will need time to work on details of the offer and contract. If he is going to announce shortly after the Final 4 then I doubt he would still be looking for additional new candidates over the Final 4 Weekend. Maybe he is but I’d guess not.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:

So in your opinion, when Thorr mentioned in his press conference that he would conduct a national search was he just saying that to make people think he hadn't chosen Cox already?
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

jersey Joe wrote:David is so mature, so above petty nonsense that he extends benefits of the doubt to players. Danny never let them breathe. zero leeway. they always knew he was lurking behind every corner waiting to pounce on them for letting up. I'm concerned the difference in personalities will be an issue
I don't follow your logic. If DH was such a demanding coach unable to accept less than full effort, how do you explain the St. Joe's Senior Night Massacre and the last 2 Davidson games with their last-minute collapses?

And how in the world can you call someone "mature and above petty nonsense," yet in the same sentence say the same person would give 'benefits of the doubt to players"?

With former colleagues like you, who needs enemies? :|
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

When Thorr said it was a National search, one would guess any coach looking to leave their school would have contacted URI.
2 x
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by jersey Joe »

Pete, I totally can relate to you not following my logic because I couldn't for the life of me follow yours for attacking a guy who dragged your program from the depths of despair 6 years ago and delivered them on the doorstep of national relevance only to be questioned about a few random games at the end of his tenure.

Pete, I have breaking news for you, other teams are trying to win games too. sometimes they can win as well.

I'm sorry you can't understand my post, this is very unfortunate.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeteRI wrote:
jersey Joe wrote:David is so mature, so above petty nonsense that he extends benefits of the doubt to players. Danny never let them breathe. zero leeway. they always knew he was lurking behind every corner waiting to pounce on them for letting up. I'm concerned the difference in personalities will be an issue
I don't follow your logic. If DH was such a demanding coach unable to accept less than full effort, how do you explain the St. Joe's Senior Night Massacre and the last 2 Davidson games with their last-minute collapses?

And how in the world can you call someone "mature and above petty nonsense," yet in the same sentence say the same person would give 'benefits of the doubt to players"?

He seems to think he articulated his point well. Go figure.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

^^^ Dr Dooley and Thorr have been an amazing team for Athletics. I trust their judgment.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jermaine's tweet does make it sound like Cox will be the coach. I still think he will be, but I think it's far from being 100%. Dan and Tom Moore were out looking at players today (including 2 that they were recruiting for Uri, Akok and Kareem Reid). It's been a week and not a peep from UConn about who Dan wants to fill out his staff. Only he and Moore are out on the road working. I don't think it's a coincidence that Dan still has two openings for assistants. He's still waiting too. If David knew he was getting the job, Dan would know also.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Timmy Welsh showing some URI knowledge

Was that interview after the Hurley presser at UConn ???
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Blueram - what is your obsession with the coach's salary? It’s the only thing you’ve talked about for days, and with every comment you make about it you make it more clear that you don’t know what you’re talking about. The idea that URI should have a set salary that they pay the coach no matter who he is or what the circumstances are is so nonsensical that I don’t even understand the point you are tying to make.

I honestly wish you guys would take this Pitino discussion off the board and to a Facebook group or something. I’m fucking embarrassed even being associated with the idea of that cretin coaching at my school. Even if you didn’t have any morals or ethics or shame and you really just wanted Louisville players and Louisville results, I regret to inform you that Rick Pitino is actually not a special basketball mind, he just bought the players that took him to Final Fours. If he cannot buy the players here, which at least everyone seems to agree is not something they would be comfortable with, then you’re not going to get the results. He’s not a legitimate candidate because from a reputation standpoint AND a basketball standpoint it would be a bad idea for the school.
I'm tired of being a stepping stone. Coaches leave for money. Plain and simple. What was Cooley's first contract? Was it $750k? What was Mack's first contract at X? Was it $750K? He was an assistant prior. Just pay people what the expectations are. We expect to dance. That is worth X amount of money.
Ed Cooley was the Head Coach at Fairfield for FIVE YEARS before taking the PC job. He was paid less than $600,000 his last year at Fairfield.
His first year at PC he earned $783,513.
Chris Mack was paid $484,399 his first year as Head Coach at Xavier.
Can you drop it now?
I had to go back and comment. Chris Mack, a Xavier alum and coach who was making $1.7 mill at X and was a number 1 seed this year, just left his school for $ 4 mill. We offered DH $2 mill a year. That was more than what Mack was making at X. So if you think paying someone less than what the job expectations are is the way to go, that dude is walking the first out.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

theblueram wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
I'm tired of being a stepping stone. Coaches leave for money. Plain and simple. What was Cooley's first contract? Was it $750k? What was Mack's first contract at X? Was it $750K? He was an assistant prior. Just pay people what the expectations are. We expect to dance. That is worth X amount of money.
Ed Cooley was the Head Coach at Fairfield for FIVE YEARS before taking the PC job. He was paid less than $600,000 his last year at Fairfield.
Can you drop it now?
I had to go back and comment. Chris Mack, a Xavier alum and coach who was making $1.7 mill at X and was a number 1 seed this year, just left his school for $ 4 mill. We offered DH $2 mill a year. That was more than what Mack was making at X. So if you think paying someone less than what the job expectations are is the way to go, that dude is walking the first out.
Couldn’t disagree more. If DC is the coach, you pay him his market rate (ie 750k a year or so) and put the remaining funds toward program improvements to help DC be successful.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Can you drop it now?
I'm not busting your balls when I say that I literally have no idea what point you're trying to make here.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I expect URI to load Cox's contract with incentives....and not guarantees.

Those days are over. If things don't work out, URI isn't going to be on the hook for big money.

If he delivers, he'll get the big money and a buyout to match.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

adam914 wrote:
The fact that Thorr said it would take 2 to 2.5 weeks to name a replacement by definition means after the final four.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
The fact that Thorr said it would take 2 to 2.5 weeks to name a replacement by definition means after the final four.
NOT to mention that Thorr himself said after the final four. So not sure why people have expectations of sooner or why Rothstein makes it sound like inside info that he got that the announcement will be post Final 4 - when it always was
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

one guy i would love to grab for the Assistants job is Grasso from IONA. Dude Coached Fordham, came back to Iona and was anointed the heir apparent.

He si credited with all the recruiting wins and the focus on Grad Transfers/xfers. We cold just offer him a wad of cash for an assistant and tell hm IONA is his once the time is right,, Even outside the XFERs he's gotten some amazing hidden gem kids from HS>
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

PeteRI wrote:

A good explanation for the late season collapses might be the players had heard Hurley was most likely gone. When Fatt's fouled out against Duke and Hurley gave him a long hug on the sideline I thought it was kind of strange but figured those two are pretty tight so whatever. Now in hindsight it seems more likely it was because Hurley and Fatts knew it was probably their last game together.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

josephski wrote:
PeteRI wrote:

A good explanation for the late season collapses might be the players had heard Hurley was most likely gone. When Fatt's fouled out against Duke and Hurley gave him a long hug on the sideline I thought it was kind of strange but figured those two are pretty tight so whatever. Now in hindsight it seems more likely it was because Hurley and Fatts knew it was probably their last game together.
I agree..except, just strike out the "probably" part....
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Can you drop it now?
You tried to make a point that other schools don’t start out a first year head coach at a lower salary but pay based on “expectations”. The facts were posted to show you were wrong (Cooley & Mack).

So now you comeback with some twisted story about Chris Mack. You bring up the “expectations”again. Chris Mack didn’t expect to be the #1 seed. Chris Mack performed. His team has been at the top of the Big East with Nova for 5 years. His team made the Tournament all 5 years in the BE. He was the Head Coach at Xavier for NINE years and been in the Tournament 8 of those years. Boy did he bail on them. I hope David Cox doesn’t have the same track record as Chris Mack did at Xavier :D
You really should drop this point.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It makes even less sense than that. If a team is going to pay your coach $4M, you're going to have a hard time keeping your coach. What is the argument, exactly? That URI should pay Cox (or whomever) $4.5M to ensure that nobody steals our coach? I'm honestly baffled by what the point was he was trying to make.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
PeteRI wrote:

No doubt
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:
josephski wrote: A good explanation for the late season collapses might be the players had heard Hurley was most likely gone. When Fatt's fouled out against Duke and Hurley gave him a long hug on the sideline I thought it was kind of strange but figured those two are pretty tight so whatever. Now in hindsight it seems more likely it was because Hurley and Fatts knew it was probably their last game together.
No doubt
Fatts was on IG live at one point some time after the Duke game and people kept asking him if Hurley was leaving and he replied "Coach Hurley ain't going anywhere". So not so sure about this story line.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

One of responsibilities of an Associate Head Coach is to hold a program together from when the Head Coach departs until a new head coach is hired. David Cox is carrying out that responsibility. If there were problems with current players staying or recruits leaving right now, it would reflect poorly on Cox's future here or elsewhere. The Associate Head Coach will be paid for another year if he is not elevated to Head Coach as long as the program holds together through the transition. Most new Head Coaches will want someone loyal to them as a top assistant so the Associate Head Coach will depart after a year. That is what is going on between Cox, the players and URI right now. Players will re-evaluate their commitment once a new coach is hired but with the knowledge that the Associate Head Coach will be their if he chooses.

With the above said, Thor is less concerned about losing players if Cox doesn't get the job and will hire the person he feels is best suited to lead the program. Actually hiring the Associate Head Coach causes a salary problem for the AD who wants to pay the next Head Coach as much as he can in order to maintain a base on what the institution expects to pay for this position. This is a problem unique to public institutions and will seem counter-intuitive to most, KMac included. Don't think for a moment that Thor wants to save money by hiring Cox. The problem is that giving a big raise can be a harder sell to the institution. It is easier to get approval to hire an external candidate for more money than it is to give a big raise to an internal candidate.

Finally, Thor not going to San Antonio is a sign that Thor knows who he wants to hire and is not interested in talking to other aspirants who hang out at this event. Expect to hear next week unless a deal falls through.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes,
Thorr said from the onset it would take him and his team 2.5 to 3 weeks for the process and that he would be announcing after the Final 4.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:
So in your opinion, when Thorr mentioned in his press conference that he would conduct a national search was he just saying that to make people think he hadn't chosen Cox already?
I am saying that "national search" tumbles out of approximately 100% of athletic directors before they start the process. Whether it is a true national search is another thing. I was hopeful after the press conference but less so now. The commits are clearly getting a heads up from someone. Now, maybe that is Cox just being pollyannish about his chances and he wants to keep his recruits feeling good. Maybe Thorr is interviewing a bunch of guys this weekend, But, as of now, with zero reports out there? Not getting the warm and fuzzy feeling that this search is going the way this job deserves. This should be a big time job with big time interest.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

The job listing has an application cut-off date of, April 2
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It would have big time interest, except that the choice was probably already made a while ago.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's too bad our coach couldn't be hired before the Final 4. Lots of connections to be had in San Antonio and lots of holes to plug on the staff.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Does anyone remember how many candidates were interviewed when DH was hired?
If you listened to Tim Welch's interview he indicated that Thor had a short list in
mind back then, interviewed a select few and made his decision very quickly. I don't
know how accurate that is but if it's a small circle it is possible that no one is letting
anything leak ,so no news coming out of Keaney.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As previously stated it says here that Jermaine Harris' high school coach will be Dave Cox' first hire as an assistant.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I can't believe that Thorr isn't emailing out a list of all the candidates, interview schedule, and post interview analysis to all the Keaney Blue members. How dare he not seek the input of all the experts here and give them up to the minute updates.

:roll:
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
12 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

eli#10 wrote:As previously stated it says here that Jermaine Harris' high school coach will be Dave Cox' first hire as an assistant.
Sorry for being late here, but where does it say that? That Washington Post article? I wasnt able to view it cause I dont have a subscription so just curious where you see that? Or is this sarcasm and it went over my head haha
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RF1 wrote:I can't believe that Thorr isn't emailing out a list of all the candidates, interview schedule, and interview analysis to all the Keaney Blue members. How dare he not seek the input of all the experts here and give them up to the minute updates.

:roll:
The entertainment value of KB posters saying nobody is interested in the job is priceless.

Almost as entertaining as the Preston Murphy will be Cox's lead assistant talk.....

Ha ha ha......

Good stuff this thread is awesome!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
I am saying that "national search" tumbles out of approximately 100% of athletic directors before they start the process. Whether it is a true national search is another thing. I was hopeful after the press conference but less so now. The commits are clearly getting a heads up from someone. Now, maybe that is Cox just being pollyannish about his chances and he wants to keep his recruits feeling good. Maybe Thorr is interviewing a bunch of guys this weekend, But, as of now, with zero reports out there? Not getting the warm and fuzzy feeling that this search is going the way this job deserves. This should be a big time job with big time interest.
I think you're stretching a bit here, but that's fine. I get that you need to start laying the ground work early for hating the next coach just as much as you did the last.
5 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
Can't both things be kind of true, though? Example: Thorr has a conversation with Cox and says that he'll be a strong candidate for the job, but that he is going to interview other candidates. The "best" time to do that would likely be at and around the Final Four. Cox is probably getting hectored constantly by recruits and recruiting targets about the job, and I don't think it would be nefarious for him to say something like, "Well, I've been told I'm a strong candidate for it." Recruits in turn tweet out support for him and URI.

Ultimately, I think it's more likely than not that Cox is the next head coach. He has a good resume for the job, and I doubt Hurley would have been able to negotiate the $125k for him if he's not the head coach if Thorr was completely uncomfortable with that idea. But I don't think the process is so closed off that someone couldn't blow away Thorr and get the job either.
5 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

wpbrown8267 wrote:
eli#10 wrote:As previously stated it says here that Jermaine Harris' high school coach will be Dave Cox' first hire as an assistant.
Sorry for being late here, but where does it say that? That Washington Post article? I wasnt able to view it cause I dont have a subscription so just curious where you see that? Or is this sarcasm and it went over my head haha
It doesn't say it anywhere. Just an educated guess.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

FWIW - A Vermont fan has stated that he thinks Becker has a 300k buyout clause.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote:Yes,
Thorr said from the onset it would take him and his team 2.5 to 3 weeks for the process and that he would be announcing after the Final 4.
He actually said 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. I would expect the new coach to be announced by the end of next week.

1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”