The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by adam914 »

sevegny7 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:If Cox is indeed our coach, he speaks very highly of Chris Cole as an up and coming coach. Chris would give us an even stronger presence from the DMV area, maybe the richest area of talent in the country right now. Coach Cox credits Jermaine's development totally to Chris, admitting that Jermaine wasn't very good when he came to Maryland from Florida as a 9th grader. So, there's a coach who already has a good reputation for developing bigs. As Jermaine said....hint, hint, stay tuned.
I agree I think Cole has a bright future. I posted something very similar the other day and got shot down. But I could see as a third assistant. Those development skills with Jermaine are extremely noticeable. Get him working with Mike layssard could help.
I don't think Cox's staff could have both Boswell and Cole though. Too much inexperience there. Only way I could see Cole there is if Boswell isn't and he essentially takes his place as the 3rd assistant.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by EGram »

SnooterMagoo wrote:
EGram wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Shut up with your Iona nonsense. First of all Oats has actually won a game in the tournament, Cluess hasn't. Second of all Oats' teams are significantly better on defense than Cluess. In 2015-6 it was 134 to 145 in favor of Oats. 17 it was 114 to 211 and this year it was 136-218. On average it is 128-191 in favor of Oats.

We get it. You went to Iona and they're irrelevant, so you have to go somewhere to talk college basketball. But you are the only person here who cares about Iona, Cluess sucks, and he would be a disaster hire for us
Wojeez,i just suggested we take a look at a guy (personally i always said i prefer Cox). No Need for personal attacks.

Although I strongly disagree Iona and Cwpost under CLuess sucks and is irrelevant Cluess has made Iona Arguably the most relevant it's ever been.... Yes Buffalo won an NCCAA. IONA got an AT LARGE IN THE MAAC....with maybe his worse team ever in the cluess era they did marginally worse then buffalo, won thit;s 3rd straight MAC tourny 7 + year of 20 wins..... Post Season every Year.. Not to mention talent he;s gotten legit guys who;ve played in the NBA off the scrap heap.

If you don't want him thats fine. IF You hate him thats fine fine, or strongly dislike his style of play that's your opinion and it' perfectly fair. But to say Iona is irrelevant under Cluess and eh ucks yet Oes and Buffalo are saviours i take that a bit personally.

It's kinda said had how many people Hearted that post... It makes me wonder about my fellow Rhodey Fans.
Well, that got ugly. One guy prefers the coach from the MAC. Other guy prefers the coach from the MAAC.

Classic case of MAC on MAAC crime.
lol nothing against Oates.. or the MAC.

But I do think no matter how you manipulate statistics. Cluess as been far more effective a Iona. It just sticks in my my craw the way people call him "irrellevemt" andnot worthy ogURI. sau another a1-10 team takes Cluess would it shock anyone f he took them to the NCAAs and had asucccesss to the point we possibly wished we at lest took a look at him..?

I be he could turn La Salle into a A10 top tier progrram imo.
0 x
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

I was just crackin zingers. Fwiw, Tim Cluess does not "suck" by any metric.
1 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Kmac throwing out Joe Dooley’s name this morning.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think we should throw Kmac out.......
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

SnooterMagoo wrote:I was just crackin zingers. Fwiw, Tim Cluess does not "suck" by any metric.

It wasn't you Snooter, i talking about RowdyRam, saying those things. You've been fine, i can take a good bit a ribing when i mention that name on here. I just felt that post crossed the line a bit.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

rambone 78 wrote:I think we should throw Kmac out.......
Can that be part of the new contract?

What happened to Krasner? i went to schoolwith his litle girl..
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Now that Mike Rice has said no to Capel will he say no to Cox?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote:Now that Mike Rice has said no to Capel will he say no to Cox?
Considering their history, I don’t think MR will end up here.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

And where are you all seeing this mike rice rumors?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't want an assistant coach with a history of player abuse at URI. No Mike Rice.
5 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Jeff Capel starting to keep some of the players at Pitt. Thorr should keep that in mind when hiring the next guy. The 2018 class or current guys doesn't necessarily leave if it's not Cox.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Those players helped Pitt go 0-18 in conference.

Not sure if that's the best thing.

Of course they need some to stay so they can field a team next season.

GBG, what's out there right now doesn't look too encouraging....Oats would be my choice after Cox but it looks like he's staying at Buffalo.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Gonebarongone wrote:Jeff Capel starting to keep some of the players at Pitt. Thorr should keep that in mind when hiring the next guy. The 2018 class or current guys doesn't necessarily leave if it's not Cox.
GBG, Jeff Capel is one of the most touted recruiters and name assistants in the country. Any coach other than Cox, That’s attainable on the market now would cause our recruits undoubtedly leave. No big name HC is knocking down our door right now.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:Those players helped Pitt go 0-18 in conference.

Not sure if that's the best thing.

Of course they need some to stay so they can field a team next season.

GBG, what's out there right now doesn't look too encouraging....Oats would be my choice after Cox but it looks like he's staying at Buffalo.
Agree on the Pitt players. I want Cox to be the next coach and it is not solely because I am afraid players/recruits will leave if he is not the coach. He represents the best option for program stability and continuity and continued ascent. On Oats, though, he looks like he's staying because he doesn't have anywhere to go. He more or less straight up told everyone that in his quotes in that article earlier this week. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to get him here if he were offered the job, but there is no reason to do that. I really like him as a coach, but I prefer Cox, and our AD apparently does as well.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

As expected, another fabulous job by Thorr keeping the lid on this thing.

He’s not leaving us much to talk about here.

Time for some pizza talk?
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

My suspicion is that most if not all candidates and agents (except Pitino of course) realize that Cox is a very strong favorite to get the job and this fact has no doubt really reduced the outsider interest in the job. Looking for Thorr to name Cox at the end of next week.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing everybody knows we're hiring Cox....other potential candidates I mean.

So we're hearing crickets about interviews....very possibly because there haven't been any, and won't be.

Discussions? Maybe? No candidates seen on campus? None.

If any coach worth his salt was interviewing, you would think he'd want to see the campus and BB facilities. Ya think?

LAMAR! Always entertaining...but not always right. I don't think we were right when we hired JD....haha

I still think Cox has called PM about the AHC position, since we are offering at least close to what he's making at Creighton.

Then PM could be our next HC when DC leaves......
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

The lid is so tight on this one that even folks that make crap up here on KB and Twitter got nothing to say.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Just think 6 years ago URI was paying a coach to go away. Now URI is being paid more than 1M for its coach. Thorr has taken a bad situation and turned it around.
9 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's hope Cox is so good that HIS buyout will be over 1 million in the near future.
6 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I want D.Cox but P Murph would be fantastic on the bench too. Love when Lamar gives us a shout.
0 x
GO RAMS
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by jersey Joe »

worked with David for a little while-outstanding human being-extraordinarily intelligent

rooting for him because it sets up a wonderful family financially

that being said, I think this is a really tough "first head gig" for him. high expectations, loaded roster, but he brings a completely different presence to the sideline. following the fire and brimstone approach with the pensive high level smart guy approach is risky in my humble opinion. some guys just walk in a room and command the highest output possible from every other person in that room-assistant coaches, trainers, support staff, and most of all players.

I don't see David that way. and that's not a slight on him. I think he's an A-10 level coach without a doubt. just not sure he's the right fit for this team at this time coming from who coached them prior.

you tell me David is getting the LaSalle gig which needs a makeover and a steady captain of the ship I say tremendous fit. but you just had a borderline sociopath (not literall, but in a basketball sense. I love Danny but he obsessed every waking moment over this job, the school, the team, opponents, recruits, etc...) that dragged the program across the finish line and attracted players who wanted that approach- gonna be hard to adjust to the more professional demeanor and attitude of David.

give young guys any leeway at all and the wheels start to loosen. David is so mature, so above petty nonsense that he extends benefits of the doubt to players. Danny never let them breathe. zero leeway. they always knew he was lurking behind every corner waiting to pounce on them for letting up. I'm concerned the difference in personalities will be an issue

roster might be good enough for the first year to still get to the NCAA-mybe even the 2nd year too. not sure he can sustain it.

just my opinion. for the record I would NEVER say these things to David face to face, it would hurt him that a former colleague doubted him, so before you ask me if I'd say it to him let me answer for you: NO I would not lol

and I hope to the basketball gods that David gets this job. I will still have a college squad to follow and root for-i currently have NOBODY (sorry Danny I can't clap for the smug UCONN smarmy dbags)
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

jersey Joe wrote:worked with David for a little while-outstanding human being-extraordinarily intelligent

that being said, I think this is a really tough "first head gig" for him. high expectations, loaded roster, but he brings a completely different presence to the sideline. following the fire and brimstone approach with the pensive high level smart guy approach is risky in my humble opinion. some guys just walk in a room and command the highest output possible from every other person in that room-assistant coaches, trainers, support staff, and most of all players.

I don't see David that way. and that's not a slight on him. I think he's an A-10 level coach without a doubt. just not sure he's the right fit for this team at this time coming from who coached them prior.

you tell me David is getting the LaSalle gig which needs a makeover and a steady captain of the ship I say tremendous fit. but you just had a borderline sociopath (not literall, but in a basketball sense. I love Danny but he obsessed every waking moment over this job, the school, the team, opponents, recruits, etc...) that dragged the program across the finish line and attracted players who wanted that approach- gonna be hard to adjust to the more professional demeanor and attitude of David.

give young guys any leeway at all and the wheels start to loosen. David is so mature, so above petty nonsense that he extends benefits of the doubt to players. Danny never let them breathe. zero leeway. they always knew he was lurking behind every corner waiting to pounce on them for letting up. I'm concerned the difference in personalities will be an issue

roster might be good enough for the first year to still get to the NCAA-mybe even the 2nd year too. not sure he can sustain it.

just my opinion. for the record I would NEVER say these things to David face to face, it would hurt him that a former colleague doubted him, so before you ask me if I'd say it to him let me answer for you: NO I would not lol

and I hope to the basketball gods that David gets this job. I will still have a college squad to follow and root for-i currently have NOBODY (sorry Danny I can't clap for the smug UCONN smarmy dbags)
Some of your sentiments seemed back handed. Cox recruited kids from his neck of the woods. Im sure he will adjust/adapt smoothly into his new role, if awarded . The players and staff love and respect him. We will see how it goes.
Last edited by DC_Rams 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

back handed huh? the part where I said how intelligent he is and is a qualified A10 coach or the part where I referred to David and his family as wonderful?
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

jersey Joe wrote:back handed huh? the part where I said how intelligent he is and is a qualified A10 coach or the part where I referred to David and his family as wonderful?
If they weren’t back handed, you could read your post to him verbatim, right?

Nonetheless, respect your opinion. Just came off, awkward.
0 x
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

uh wrong, DC_Rams, wrong. I couldn't and wouldn't read my post to him verbatim because, as I stated, we worked together and it would hurt him that a colleague felt this way. and David is the last guy anyone would want to insult. I had 11 private messages asking me to post my opinion on the next coach potentially being DC, that's why I wrote it.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

jersey Joe wrote:uh wrong, DC_Rams, wrong. I couldn't and wouldn't read my post to him verbatim because, as I stated, we worked together and it would hurt him that a colleague felt this way. and David is the last guy anyone would want to insult. I had 11 private messages asking me to post my opinion on the next coach potentially being DC, that's why I wrote it.
Lol dude, That’s why I called it “back handed” sentiments. It’s like saying “great man, but I wouldn’t trust him around my family.”

You’re entitled to your opinions brother, just saying, don’t act like you didn’t just praise him only to belittle him in the same breath.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice to see Lamar tweeting for his boy PMurph

I would love Cox as Coach with Murph as top asst
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Not a knock on coach Cox but stop the fantasy talk of Preston Murphy coming back here under him as an assistant for any amount of money.

I have never read anything more absurd.

Stop please y’all are embarrassing yourselves
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

reef wrote:Nice to see Lamar tweeting for his boy PMurph

yup, that's the trio i want

Cox - Preston - Boswell

and TJ upped to director of basketball ops
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

haha, reading comprehension not your strong point, no worries my man, I suck at math
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jersey Joe's analysis sounded "fair and balanced"

Dan Hurley is a coach in the mold of Bill Parcells, Tom Coughlin, Bobby Knight, Bobby Hurley Sr. Tough, obsessive, disciplinarian, micro manager, intimidator (to a certain extent).

That's a tough act to follow for anyone, especially someone going in a different direction.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
reef wrote:Nice to see Lamar tweeting for his boy PMurph

yup, that's the trio i want

Cox - Preston - Boswell

and TJ upped to director of basketball ops
I'd love that as well. I'd also would love to win Power Ball...neither is going to happen.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

jcru wrote:Jersey Joe's analysis sounded "fair and balanced"

Dan Hurley is a coach in the mold of Bill Parcells, Tom Coughlin, Bobby Knight, Bobby Hurley Sr. Tough, obsessive, disciplinarian, micro manager, intimidator (to a certain extent).

That's a tough act to follow for anyone, especially someone going in a different direction.
Whoever is named coach is going to have a pretty tough act to follow. We'll (especially the players) will need to adjust quickly.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jersey Joe wrote:worked with David for a little while-outstanding human being-extraordinarily intelligent

So...what you're saying is that Pitino would be a better fit, right? :lol:
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What could we pay Murph to be top assistant?? How much is he making now ??
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This team just had one of it's top two best runs in modern program history (ie. A.K. "After Keaney"), the other being three straight NCAA runs with an Elite Eight in the middle.

And after that, with coaching salaries on the rise, we already have a good Arena, all sorts of perks on the upswing: charter flights, promise of a practice facility, assistant coaches money...

We can't get an on campus interview from a coaching candidate outside the program ?

That's just WEIRD, no matter how you slice it. When people look back on this, locally, etc, they'll look back on THAT
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

reef wrote:What could we pay Murph to be top assistant?? How much is he making now ??
PMurph according to reports makes in excess of 300k and has a charter plan at his disposal for private trips back to Rhode Island as well as recruiting. That’s a tough gig to give up.
0 x
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

NYG Fan,

x's and o's wise there's nobody better on the college level. individual skill development wise he's adept as any coach of all time. installing his system and inserting players into the proper spots is his most genius talent.

obviously his character is not something you'd want in your state

I know you were kidding but there's been more than a few who would like to see it happen. and from a success standpoint I understand. that guy with your roster and his motivation to stick it to his critics would result in a Final 4 inside of 3 seasons.
6 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Man I can't wait until this position is filled and a new head coach is named, there's so much bullshit being posted here in this thread.
10 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

reckless jake wrote:Man I can't wait until this position is filled and a new head coach is named, there's so much bullshit being posted here in this thread.
For sure. I started trying to catch up but there is some shit in this thread that makes "Baron 2.0" look sane and well-reasoned.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I understand how DC_rams interpreted Jersey Joe's comments as "Cox is a great guy, but he is too much of a passive egghead and the players will walk all over him." I don't know that is how he meant it, though. As someone who is completely supportive of and excited about Cox getting the job, I think some of what he said is fair. Cox's approach will be different than Dan's. I said earlier in this thread that I wouldn't have hired Cox to do the job that Dan was hired to do 6 years ago. Dan was tailor-made for that job. He rebuilt this program in large part on force of will and name recognition. But, we are not hiring for that job this time around, in large part thanks to Dan's efforts. This program is not broken and clinging to life. The program is more mature and the culture is more established, which will allow for the next coach to be more focused on basketball and less focused on repairing infrastructure and morale. Not that those other things can be neglected, but they'll need maintenance as opposed to engineering. I actually think the job this time around is setup perfectly for someone in Cox's position to step into and succeed.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:I understand how DC_rams interpreted Jersey Joe's comments as "Cox is a great guy, but he is too much of a passive egghead and the players will walk all over him." I don't know that is how he meant it, though. As someone who is completely supportive of and excited about Cox getting the job, I think some of what he said is fair. Cox's approach will be different than Dan's. I said earlier in this thread that I wouldn't have hired Cox to do the job that Dan was hired to do 6 years ago. Dan was tailor-made for that job. He rebuilt this program in large part on force of will and name recognition. But, we are not hiring for that job this time around, in large part thanks to Dan's efforts. This program is not broken and clinging to life. The program is more mature and the culture is more established, which will allow for the next coach to be more focused on basketball and less focused on repairing infrastructure and morale. Not that those other things can be neglected, but they'll need maintenance as opposed to engineering. I actually think the job this time around is setup perfectly for someone in Cox's position to step into and succeed.
Thank you!
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

there's something to be said for a more relaxed style. Team plays looser and can thrive with less pressure put on it. Also being more relaxed/less intense =/= being a doormat. You can be just as in control without hounding them

see the Bruins going from Julien to Cassidy
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Are they any video interviews with David Cox? If so does anyone have a link to it? While I'm on board with the hire I still feel like he is somewhat of a mystery man to me.

Disclaimer: Please don't be "that guy" and tell me they have been posted already and to go look 'em up. Its 25 page thread.
2 x
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

LOLOLOL!! omg I love this F'in forum!!
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

1 x