Note To Dan Hurley

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Note To Dan Hurley

Unread post by steviep123 »

Seriously, if both teams are consistently top 75 rpi it will be a good strength of schedule game for both teams and easy travel. It makes too much sense not to do it. UConn needs to get their heads out of their asses to do it though.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It won't happen until UConn is confident they can win...then...maybe. Think about how bad it would look for them to play and lose to URI now...not happening.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I live in Connecticut and today I had the pleasure of seeing Dan Hurley on a billboard. Obnoxious...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

scine20 wrote:I live in Connecticut and today I had the pleasure of seeing Dan Hurley on a billboard. Obnoxious...
Already! Maybe someone could tell Dan to change his Twitter profile. He still has that he is the URI coach with a background pic of soldout RC and his avatar is picture from last year’s A10 championship.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote:
scine20 wrote:I live in Connecticut and today I had the pleasure of seeing Dan Hurley on a billboard. Obnoxious...
Already! Maybe someone could tell Dan to change his Twitter profile. He still has that he is the URI coach with a background pic of soldout RC and his avatar is picture from last year’s A10 championship.
I think Dan changed his mind and is coming back. That's why Harris made that post on twitter today........KIDDING!
4 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Don't they sell cans of black spray paint in Ct.? Lol
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

jcru wrote:Here's my note to Dan:

Thank you, Sir, for taking this job. Many of us will be eternally grateful, and I mean that. You gave us a foundation, you gave us hope, you gave us excitement. NO REGRETS WHATSOEVER.

You go out there and do your best with zero regret, guilt, or remorse. I wish you well. You left us better off than we were, and gave us some unforgettable moments to remember along the way. Would we do it again if we could... A. In a heartbeat.

Know that we have to take it from here. We accept the baton. Everything else from this point on, sink or swim, is on us, and won't tarnish your legacy one iota, no matter what happens.

Go get em, Dan. Love ya.
jcru!! My man!!!

I agree with everything on this post! I knew we could agree about some things :D
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Just stopped by the Uconn board. There’s a topic complaining about the APR bonus in Hurley’s contract because it drives the wrong recruiting behavior (only winning matters). Going to be a restless bunch if the wins don’t happen early or god forbid they lose a game or two they are projected to win.
1 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Tough to be mad at Hurley with all the recruits (looking like they are) staying. I still think he's a traitor but thank GOD he didn't take our future.

Good luck at UConn.... maybe MAYBE we'll root for you now
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

URI'21 wrote:Tough to be mad at Hurley with all the recruits (looking like they are) staying. I still think he's a traitor but thank GOD he didn't take our future.

I’m not so convinced all of the recruits would have followed him there even if he tried. If Harris was there with him? That’s a different story.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

He strongly “communicated” that they should stay, but some of you don’t trust what he says, anyway. Just please be patient with the freshmen... so different working in Dowtin or Fatts compared to a group where a lot will be required if this success is to be sustained.
9 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

ace wrote:He strongly “communicated” that they should stay, but some of you don’t trust what he says, anyway.
I mean... that will happen when you lie to your players and fans.

FUCK I'm still salty
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think most of us expect some growing pains.

I like the potential though. If this class is that good, I expect us to be at least as good as we were this year, 2 seasons from now.

Ace I truly believe Dan told them they should stay. I give him that.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NJRhodyFan wrote:
URI'21 wrote:Tough to be mad at Hurley with all the recruits (looking like they are) staying. I still think he's a traitor but thank GOD he didn't take our future.

I’m not so convinced all of the recruits would have followed him there even if he tried. If Harris was there with him? That’s a different story.
Cox you mean?

Anyways, I think the stuff with Dan being a lying ass liar has gone a little too far. Yes, I believe he has not been totally forthcoming with respect to what his plans were in terms of his job situation and with respect to how the UConn thing unfolded. I think if you put yourself in his shoes, you can probably empathize a little with that. What was he going to say? (My beef was why say anything? Just don't acknowledge the questions in the first place, but that's me.)

Anyways, I think the stuff about his job situation aside, the guy has been pretty damn honorable and stand up. He delivered on the promises he made with respect to the program - not just the level of success on the court, but also the way he and his players and the program in general would put in honest work and be worthy of our pride. I don't feel like we have any reason to not believe what he has said about his feelings for this program and this place, and he just doesn't seem like the type of dude that would go out of his way to tear down something he built and cares about. You never know, I guess. This is a cut throats business. Maybe this is the longest con ever, but I am not shocked he wouldn't strip this program for parts on his way out of town.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

TruePoint wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:

Cox you mean?

Anyways, I think the stuff with Dan being a lying ass liar has gone a little too far. Yes, I believe he has not been totally forthcoming with respect to what his plans were in terms of his job situation and with respect to how the UConn thing unfolded. I think if you put yourself in his shoes, you can probably empathize a little with that. What was he going to say? (My beef was why say anything? Just don't acknowledge the questions in the first place, but that's me.)

Anyways, I think the stuff about his job situation aside, the guy has been pretty damn honorable and stand up. He delivered on the promises he made with respect to the program - not just the level of success on the court, but also the way he and his players and the program in general would put in honest work and be worthy of our pride. I don't feel like we have any reason to not believe what he has said about his feelings for this program and this place, and he just doesn't seem like the type of dude that would go out of his way to tear down something he built and cares about. You never know, I guess. This is a cut throats business. Maybe this is the longest con ever, but I am not shocked he wouldn't strip this program for parts on his way out of town.
You're right. Nothing but respect for what Hurley did for us. It's just..... why tell us you're going to stay if we beef up contract then leave? why call us a true family a week before leaving us behind?

Regardless... it's all moot now. DH got the job he wants, and our program is in a very good place right now. Everyone wins.

No complaints from me
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

TruePoint wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:

Cox you mean?

Ugghh...been a long day. Yes, I meant Cox.

And I agree with what you’re saying for the most part. But it’s just so clear that all the UCONN stuff was in motion for weeks (maybe longer) while our season was still active, that’s never going to sit well with me. Calhoun and his cronies. I guess I’m being naive though. Probably no different than any other coaching situation. I just held Hurley to a higher standard I guess.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Totally agree here with TP about Dan's comments about not having a thought about any other program.

That was bogus big time....should have said in so many words....a big fat no comment. He knew he was about to accept the UConn job before the Duke game, and there was a lot more interaction between him and Calhoun and Moore about the UConn job than he admitted to.

If Dan keeps his RI home....will he go shopping at the Narragansett Stop @ Shop with Calhoun this summer?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote:
I don't doubt Dan considered Pitt (though it would fly in the face of the master conspiracy theory on here that UConn was a settled matter mid-season).

Anyone that thinks Pitt was a serious landing spot for Dan and his family does not know/has never talked to his wife.
Maybe if they cut out most of the middle of Pennsylvania and pushed together the ends to make it closer to Jersey. Also, as a PA resident, I’m totally cool with that. Nothing good happens in that middle part of the state anyway.
3 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

ace wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
I don't doubt Dan considered Pitt (though it would fly in the face of the master conspiracy theory on here that UConn was a settled matter mid-season).

Anyone that thinks Pitt was a serious landing spot for Dan and his family does not know/has never talked to his wife.
Maybe if they cut out most of the middle of Pennsylvania and pushed together the ends to make it closer to Jersey. Also, as a PA resident, I’m totally cool with that. Nothing good happens in that middle part of the state anyway.
Well, it's a great place to hear banjo music....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:
ace wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Well, it's a great place to hear banjo music....
Yep, drove thru it less than two weeks ago...did not stop for that though
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Both NY and PA are a great wasteland in the middle part of their respective states.....anybody travel the NY State Thruway in that area?

A great big depressed nothingness......
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

"Thank you......I'm sorry..."

Was anybody here in the lobby of the Doubletree in Pittsburgh after the Duke game?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Both NY and PA are a great wasteland in the middle part of their respective states.....anybody travel the NY State Thruway in that area?

A great big depressed nothingness......
My wife is from the Catskills about an hour south of Binghamton, over near the PA border. It is rough out there. Used to be a resort area for rich city folks in the summer, before the advent of the commercial aircraft.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I hope DH has a good opinion of Rhode Island and the URI basketball community. Nothing he said was bad in his exit.

I don't want to see him win a national title and say something about his doubters and feel like he is addressing us.

"A lot of people said it couldn't be done... blah blah."

Good bye and good luck. This next season to me is 2015/2014 level Rhody. A team capable of getting where we want to go. We just don't know if or cant be sure it will come together.

The A10s are back in Brooklyn. I love that tournament.

We also have great opportunities at home for some nice wins.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I was in the lobby when the Hurleys were walking through on the way to the team bus and never thought things would happen as fast as they did. In hindsight Andrea's crying meant a lot more then I thought it did.
I always thought that if Dan moved on the program would be in great shape and that is exactly what happened (provided all players and recruits stay).
As I have previously stated my big surprise is that Dan has connected himself to such a bum as Calhoun.
Also, there is no question in my mind that Calhoun was recruiting him to Uconn during the season. A school who wants to talk to a coach who is under contract normally asks for permission from the coach's Athletic Director to discuss an opening. I am sure Thorr would not have allowed any discussions during the season. Here we again have Calhoun operating outside the norm......
1 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

I appreciate everything that Coach Hurley has done in terms of recruiting over the past six years, and I hope that this continues under the next coach at the helm. If we continue to recruit top star talent, then the results will continue to speak for themselves.

BUT... let's get real for a moment. Hurley as a great coach? There were many times over the course of this year that I felt coach Hurley was outcoached, at times I even thought he was totally lost as to how to make in-game adjustments to be successful. The games that most notably come to mind are most recently the Duke game. Stanford Robinson guarding top NBA recruit Marvin Bagley?!?! Cyril Langevine coming off the bench behind Andre Berry? How about the doozy they dropped at the end of the season to St. Joe's? 78-48? A great coach doesn't let these blowouts occur, why? The ability to gameplan and make adjustments when everything goes wrong.

Now don't get me wrong. The Hurley name brought star power and it brought talent the likes of which we may not see under our next coach. I don't think he was a bad coach but my opinion was that at the end of the day he was just an okay coach, with great talent. Let's also not forget the getting T'ed up at critical moments in the game and not holding his composure on the sidelines. You don't see this from the greats. Why? Their belief in their coaching methods and the ability to always change how they're approaching the game. That is my hope from the next coach.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He never got T'ed up in a critical moment over the last 2 seasons. Not sure that merits any weight. Also the coach has to get credit for all - recruiting, academic performance, building a culture, in-game strategy, program. Dan would have to get a cumulative A- for that during his time here, realizing in some categories he performed stronger than others. Which is about the same for any coach in the country, they are going to excel more in certain areas than others. It's revisionist history to now look back and poke holes in the job he did in certain areas when clearly people who scout coaches for a living had him ranked as one of the best candidates in the market.

I too was in the lobby of the hotel in Pittsburgh, as I was in the lobby in Sacramento. Following the loss to Oregon the mood and behavior was much different than it was following the loss to Duke. He knew that was the last time he would see us all. From saying "sorry" to anyone that spoke to him, to his wife's tears as she left the building. Something was different. I don't really need to over analyze it, nor would anyone that was there, it was right out in the open for all to see. And they were wearing it on their faces. Some hid it (DH) better than others (AH).
4 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

ace wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

I believe the colloquial name for the big "T" of area outside Greater Philly and Pitt is "Pennsyltucky"? Sounds about right.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH is only 45 you never know what the future holds. He could coach at URI again in the distant future
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Ace, thanks for stay active on the Board. We all respect your opnion.
Any idea who the other two schools were on Dan’s wish list?
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Agreed. I'm glad Ace is continuing to post!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Good bye and good luck. This next season to me is 2015/2014 level Rhody. A team capable of getting where we want to go. We just don't know if or cant be sure it will come together.
Only this time 2/3’s of the roster knows what it’s like to play and win in the NCAA tournament and to be the best team in their conference. They also don’t have to constantly hear “who haven’t made the tournament since 1999!!”
4 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

ace wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Good bye and good luck. This next season to me is 2015/2014 level Rhody. A team capable of getting where we want to go. We just don't know if or cant be sure it will come together.
Only this time 2/3’s of the roster knows what it’s like to play and win in the NCAA tournament and to be the best team in their conference. They also don’t have to constantly hear “who haven’t made the tournament since 1999!!”
Exactly. Its tough to weigh it when you think about how high we held EC/Hassan Martin. But then this returning team has accomplished more. Exciting year ahead.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I have dreamt of coaching in Storrs?
Excuse me but wtf did u just say?!?!?
Their league is...
Cincinnati
Wichita
Houston
Tulsa
Memphis
Central fla
Temple
SMU
Tulane
South fla
And East Carolina

They have no rivalries left WITH ANYONE!!!!
They don't play us, they don't play PC...
I actually just this minute realized how f'd up that league and that program are.
He's gotta turn them back into a Final Four program???
Good luck bro.

Holy moly!
And on top of that he has to move to Storrs.
And have an office next to Calhoun, with Geno on the other side.

They just fired an alum who won a blanking NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP 4 years ago because they went 15-17?

Hope you don't have any kids leave early or get injured.

And don't spend all the $ at once.

But thanks for the last 15 months here Danny.
Family on three...
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

The whole team is going to rack up some serious frequent flyer miles with those conference away games. It will be well after midnight before the team charter gets back to Bradley then another hour to get on a bus and get back to campus.
0 x
Observer1966
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Observer1966 »

I'm an outsider in this conversation with a couple observations about the schizophrenia running rampant here.

First, the general drift is Hurley did a very good or great job building your program from loser to two straight NCAA berths and two rounds of 32, but then some jump in and question his ability to manage the game, criticize him for getting technicals called on him and minimize his accomplishments to some degree by saying Cox got the recruits, etc.

Then, while many believe he really liked the job and the area and believe his true feelings showed in the way he spoke about Rhode Island, the fans and his players, others jump in with charges that he and his wife exhibited phony emotions after the Duke loss. Based on some quick glimpse of him and his wife? How about the image we all saw of him with his arm around EC Matthews as they went to the locker room?

Then, some denigrate UConn as if it's a second rate job and Hurley should have waited for a better job or stayed at Rhode Island. It's OK to be disappointed when the coach that brought you your first A-10 championship leaves to go to a former regional rival, but you look petty when you talk about how there were so many better jobs to be had. Where would those jobs be? UConn has won four NC's in the last twenty years, while none of the "big" jobs have won more than three, and it's not likely any of those "big" jobs are opening up in the next few years. Too many big egos to feed plus lots of money to be made before retiring.

And, finally, quite a few question how UConn could have been his "dream" job. Did you read his comments about how he felt playing against them in the Old Big East? Or how impressed he was with UConn's style of play and intensity and they were his favorite team as a fan? Check this article for a pretty good indication of his thoughts on the program: https://www.nhregister.com/sports/jeffj ... 777670.php

Who knows how this all works out for either school. It could be great for both or neither or one wins and the other loses. We'll know in about three years. Hurley sounded as if he hopes Cox gets the job and he also sounds as if he is not interested in "poaching" any Rhode Island recruits. Perhaps that's the real answer to those who doubt he cares or ever cared about the University of Rhode Island.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think anyone said that the emotions after the Duke game were phony. I think the point was they indicate that a decision was already made when he had declared he hadn't thought about it yet. Obviously this doesn't REALLY matter, but for fans who had come to trust the guy and take him at his word, it amplified the sting of him leaving.

The rest of it is just fans being fans. People don't like being rejected. I think you're looking at comments from a few people and taking that as representative of the entire fan base. I don't think it is.
3 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Observer1966 wrote:I'm an outsider in this conversation with a couple observations about the schizophrenia running rampant here.

First, the general drift is Hurley did a very good or great job building your program from loser to two straight NCAA berths and two rounds of 32, but then some jump in and question his ability to manage the game, criticize him for getting technicals called on him and minimize his accomplishments to some degree by saying Cox got the recruits, etc.

Then, while many believe he really liked the job and the area and believe his true feelings showed in the way he spoke about Rhode Island, the fans and his players, others jump in with charges that he and his wife exhibited phony emotions after the Duke loss. Based on some quick glimpse of him and his wife? How about the image we all saw of him with his arm around EC Matthews as they went to the locker room?

Then, some denigrate UConn as if it's a second rate job and Hurley should have waited for a better job or stayed at Rhode Island. It's OK to be disappointed when the coach that brought you your first A-10 championship leaves to go to a former regional rival, but you look petty when you talk about how there were so many better jobs to be had. Where would those jobs be? UConn has won four NC's in the last twenty years, while none of the "big" jobs have won more than three, and it's not likely any of those "big" jobs are opening up in the next few years. Too many big egos to feed plus lots of money to be made before retiring.

And, finally, quite a few question how UConn could have been his "dream" job. Did you read his comments about how he felt playing against them in the Old Big East? Or how impressed he was with UConn's style of play and intensity and they were his favorite team as a fan? Check this article for a pretty good indication of his thoughts on the program: https://www.nhregister.com/sports/jeffj ... 777670.php

Who knows how this all works out for either school. It could be great for both or neither or one wins and the other loses. We'll know in about three years. Hurley sounded as if he hopes Cox gets the job and he also sounds as if he is not interested in "poaching" any Rhode Island recruits. Perhaps that's the real answer to those who doubt he cares or ever cared about the University of Rhode Island.
Ah, another UConn fan. At least this one was a thoughtful, intelligently written post.

The bottom line if you were willing to comb through a 90+ page thread is that many of us on in Rhody land (and nationally) just don't see UConn of today as the UConn of yesterday. The old Big East is gone, the new Big East is here but UConn isn't in it. BC and Louisville jumped you for the ACC and the B1G doesn't want you (because your football program).

But good news! Dan Hurley did see it as being the same and you got him. Many of us didn't think that Dan would leave a good and growing situation here to go play USF, UCF, SMU, Tulsa, Houston and East Carolina. But he did, so congrats. I wish you marginal success.
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Also, the Oakland A's won 3 World Series in a row in the 70's. Then another in 1989 so there's 4.

The Red Sox and Cubs have the same number of titles combined in the last century.

Does that mean the Oakland A's job is a better gig? Of course not.

Just like almost every P5 job is a better gig than UConn in the current landscape. Many neutral and respected college hoop minds outside of this board will and have agreed to that.
4 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Observer1966 wrote:I'm an outsider in this conversation with a couple observations about the schizophrenia running rampant here.

Maybe your delusional just like all the rest of the Uconn fans. But idk if you heard the Xavier job just opened. Pretty sure every single bball fan watching the sport realistically and unbiased would pick that job over uconn any day of the week. A job that probably could pay just as much and has a million times better fan base....foundation for a program...conference...TV deal...roster etc. Good luck becoming the old conference USA when cincy and Wichita state leave your ass for a better conference. And I hope Hurley goes running to a bigger program in five years to chase even more money and magnify all your fans comments on your board. Pretty sure posts would be a million times worse and disgraceful.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I will not read your article Sir.

And you misinterpret much of this board. I don't think anyone says the emotions were fake. More that those emotions were extremely real and an indication that they made a painful choice.

I think we would all cry if we were ripped from South County and jettisoned to Storrs Ct.
7 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I will not read your article Sir.

And you misinterpret much of this board. I don't think anyone says the emotions were fake. More that those emotions were extremely real and an indication that they made a painful choice.

I think we would all cry if we were ripped from South County and jettisoned to Storrs Ct.
Hear! Hear! Dilly Dilly!!! (and all that kinda stuff)
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I honestly didn't think this was that bad of a take.

Minus the "UConn has won 4 NC's in the last 20 years" part. That doesn't make UConn a great job or a destination - it's their program investments and donor base. That's the difference. That would be like saying Loyola Chicago is a better coaching job than Xavier because the Ramblers have more Final Fours and National Titles (1963).

Everything else was fairly on point, and most rational posters on here agree that Dan was probably the only person to lift us from a perennial conference doormat to perennial conference champions in one recruiting cycle. As much as he pulled the rug out from under me, I'm not going to begrudge the guy because he set this program up for sustained success. He did right by URI, more than held up his end of the bargain, and truly dedicated himself to the program every day for 6 years - even when a large segment of the fan base didn't want to do the same.

I also agree with the point about what URI meant to him by him not taking players and recruits - by all accounts encouraging them to stay here and build on what they have.

Very obviously UConn was Dan's dream job, regardless of what people say here about it.

As for the "schizophrenia" on this board - I'd worry about the Boneyard and how they'll react in 3 years if Dan doesn't have them in a final four yet, although that might not matter since the last coach that brought you one of those "recent national titles" that matter so much to you was tossed out on the curb while you tried to weasel out of paying him.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pittsburgh was a better job. ACC
Louisville was a better job. ACC
Xavier was a better job. Big East
And that’s just in 3 weeks!!!
Hurley was the most desirable mid major HC available
He could have done much better than UCONN, even this year.
And if he stayed at URI another year or two he could have had many, many options

He jumped too soon to a conference that cannot compare to any of the P5 conferences
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well what's done is done.....whenever Dan left DC was likely to be our next HC.....

It looks like everyone is coming back along with the recruits, and the promised enhancements look like they are happening too.

So let's get it going....if DC is as good as we hope....then we won't miss a beat.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote:

I honestly didn't think this was that bad of a take.

Minus the "UConn has won 4 NC's in the last 20 years" part. That doesn't make UConn a great job or a destination - it's their program investments and donor base. That's the difference. That would be like saying Loyola Chicago is a better coaching job than Xavier because the Ramblers have more Final Fours and National Titles (1963).

Everything else was fairly on point, and most rational posters on here agree that Dan was probably the only person to lift us from a perennial conference doormat to perennial conference champions in one recruiting cycle. As much as he pulled the rug out from under me, I'm not going to begrudge the guy because he set this program up for sustained success. He did right by URI, more than held up his end of the bargain, and truly dedicated himself to the program every day for 6 years - even when a large segment of the fan base didn't want to do the same.

I also agree with the point about what URI meant to him by him not taking players and recruits - by all accounts encouraging them to stay here and build on what they have.

Very obviously UConn was Dan's dream job, regardless of what people say here about it.

As for the "schizophrenia" on this board - I'd worry about the Boneyard and how they'll react in 3 years if Dan doesn't have them in a final four yet, although that might not matter since the last coach that brought you one of those "recent national titles" that matter so much to you was tossed out on the curb while you tried to weasel out of paying him.
Like Blue Man, I agree with most of this. What I don't agree with, (and ultimately not my call, but Hurley's) is that UConn is the job it used to be. Maybe it has cache in name still, but it remains to be seen if it can still be that great job in the AAC. I contend he'll be a big fish in a small pond, not much different than URI. Until or unless the landscape changes, UConn's ceiling could very well be lower than it used to be. That's what a lot of people think. For his sake (and for ours as if UConn's ceiling is lower than most, then so is URI's), I hope that's wrong.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Thorr's take on our situation is spot on. Aim to be the best in the A10, make the NCAA tourney often, and make a deep run whenever possible.

Our ceiling will never be as high as the blue bloods. That's just a fact.

And as long as UConn is in the AAC, they can only hope for the same as us.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:

Pittsburgh was a better job. ACC
Louisville was a better job. ACC
Xavier was a better job. Big East
And that’s just in 3 weeks!!!
Hurley was the most desirable mid major HC available
He could have done much better than UCONN, even this year.
And if he stayed at URI another year or two he could have had many, many options

He jumped too soon to a conference that cannot compare to any of the P5 conferences
I don't know the guy personally...but I just don't think he was ever going to really consider Pitt, Lville, or X. Great jobs, sure, and if they were open at the time, he may have leveraged thm (I would have expected that)...but I'm guessing it was UConn (as much for the location as the cachet) and maybe a couple high (high) level bluebloods with coaches that aren't going anywhere anytime soon... just my guess...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:I honestly didn't think this was that bad of a take.
I don't agree with the mischaracterizations of what people here have been saying. Nobody said Dan's emotions after the Duke game were "phony" and very, very few people have criticized him for his getting technical fouls or minimized his accomplishments - and the few people that have done that were doing that WELL BEFORE he took the UConn job and have always had a hair across their ass for Dan.

I also think UConn fans are delusional with the way they view their own program. I know Storrs is a godforsaken backwater outpost, but is it really still 2010 there? If UConn were still in a league with Syracuse, Villanova, Louisville, etc., then theirs would be one of the best 5-10 jobs in the country. Times change, my man. UConn is in a basketball league with East Carolina and Tulane. It finished behind Central Florida in the standings. It has to play conference road games in Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma. UConn is still a good job and the right coach can have it at the top of their conference rather quickly. The reality is that from a perks and compensation and brand perspective it offers things that URI cannot, but those things are the remnants of another time and will not always be true. They now live in a basketball world much more similar to URI's than to their old Big East contemporaries. They are very fortunate that one of the best up-and-coming coaches in America had his view of their program formed at a time when it was truly an elite program, but that doesn't change any of what I just said.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This goes back to what I said I while ago.....Dan was basically gone to UConn 2 months ago.....the only thing that held that up [for a couple days] was the last ditch offer Thorr made....

And what TP said about the realities of the UConn job now. It's not your mama's BE anymore.....
0 x