The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Been around hoops a long, long time. Fatts Russell is the fastest amateur player up the floor with or without the ball I have ever seen in person. Tape of Harris I’ve seen indicates he might be as quick up the floor as ARD was.

Please tell me we will NOT install a motion offense as primary style of play.

Please!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think Rhody defense was as much teaching as it was having great athletes on the perimeter giving a ton of effort.

If Cox is the man then that is it. I am dying to know who he will hire.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

hrstrat57 wrote:Been around hoops a long, long time. Fatts Russell is the fastest amateur player up the floor with or without the ball I have ever seen in person. Tape of Harris I’ve seen indicates he might be as quick up the floor as ARD was.

Please!
Kid is LIGHTNING.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

Rhody74 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
The “duh” tweet of the day.
is it me, or do all his tweets fall into that category? I had to stop following him
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody74 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
The “duh” tweet of the day.
For a mainstream guy, that is pretty good. You won't see Koch or Disano go with read-between-the-lines twitter reporting, which is to their credit as journalists. Most mainstream people won't.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Just curious, is the URI head coaching vacancy announcement online?
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

DC_Rams wrote:Just curious, is the URI head coaching vacancy announcement online?
Haha I had the same thought - I checked yesterday and there was nothing on the URI jobs website. Too bad - could've had some fun making up fake applications.

Bobby Knight...Jim Baron...Ed Cooley...
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Jim Harrick, Tom Penders, and Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

DC_Rams wrote:
Skeptical of how this is coming out. The only back channel to these kids right now is Cox, himself, right? No one else is going to be talking to them. Would rather it just play out and then they decided to stay if Cox is the guy. Little bit of cart before the horse, if you ask me. I mean, Thorr will be interviewing others, correct? That really puts the next coach if it isn't Cox in a bad spot trying to keep the class together. I don't like it one bit.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

hrstrat57 wrote:Been around hoops a long, long time. Fatts Russell is the fastest amateur player up the floor with or without the ball I have ever seen in person. Tape of Harris I’ve seen indicates he might be as quick up the floor as ARD was.

Please!
Zack Marbury = fastsest guy up the court I have ever seen before Fatts.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The interviews may be already done. I know Thorr has moved quickly in that regard.

If Cox has been told he's the next coach and he told JH that......why let things drag out if they already know?

DC would want to let the recruits know asap.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:The interviews may be already done. I know Thorr has moved quickly in that regard.

If Cox has been told he's the next coach and he told JH that......why let things drag out if they already know?

Absolutely! I don’t think Cox would’ve told Harris without assurances he had the job. We’re probably in the contract stages right now then an announcement early next week.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote:The interviews may be already done. I know Thorr has moved quickly in that regard.

because we have to follow the BS rules the state has for all open public sector positions...which any job at URI counts as.

basically gotta do the dog and pony show to appease Rat Face Raimondo
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:

Please!
Kid is LIGHTNING.
And he's a fine young man too. My buddy met him at a movie theater and said he could not be more engaging and genuinely appreciative of my friend's support. Just another reason to root for him.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

because we have to follow the BS rules the state has for all open public sector positions...which any job at URI counts as.

basically gotta do the dog and pony show to appease Rat Face Raimondo
It doesn't have anything to do with the governor.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

You think multiple coaching candidates would have come in over the last week AND have not a single one leak out? That stretches the imagination a bit. ADs want you to know they are doing their job and coaches (and agents) want you to know they are a hot commodity. This is all very fishy. We knew pretty early after the last game that DH had talked to both UConn and Pitt.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

It also does not mean they had to come in to have an interview. Technology now a days does not specifically mean they had to do an in house interview if the candidates were not immediately within the area.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

sevegny7 wrote:It also does not mean they had to come in to have an interview. Technology now a days does not specifically mean they had to do an in house interview if the candidates were not immediately within the area.
Right but we should still hear about it. These things always get out. Both sides want it out.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:

Please!
Kid is LIGHTNING.
He will be turned loose next year. He was limited this year, because Hurley needed to give the seniors playing time. It appeared Hurley attempted to take Fatts out of the game several times during the Oklahoma game. Cox shook his head no, saying he has to stay in. Get ready for Fatts unleashed next year.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

jcru wrote:Speaking of Rod Carri...

Does anyone even remember what his claim to fame was? I ask this, because it is relevant to this discussion.

Rod was some obscure URI fan who no one ever heard off outside the Rhody ranks, until one faithful day he undressed Bill Reynolds in a printed response to one of his articles in the Providence Journal. The older members here may recall this. This was slightly before my time, but after Rod mentioned it to me a few times I went out of my way to go look it up.

That was the year Al Skinner left, and Bill Reynolds, who was friendly with Tim O'Shea, Al's top assistant coach, basically said that URI was small time so just hire the assistant coach, "look no further" was his direct quote, from memory.

So, Rod absolutely destroyed Bill in print, I'm surprised they printed it. And it made him something of a Rhody cult hero. The nuts and bolts of it was, that URI should shoot for the stars and get the best possible coach they could and that URI wasn't a farm team for untested coaches, we were beyond that.

Which of course lead to the hiring of Harrick.
Dude, why do you ask a question when you answer it yourself? Give us a break on the rhetorical device and please up your meds.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

My favorite part of Fatts game is his court vision and passing. He can definitely score it, I love his aggressiveness on offense and defense, he is a joy in transition, etc., but he really sees the court well and is our most imaginative passer. That was always the most fun part of the game for me as a player. It involves some risk and you tend to turn it over more than a ball security minded guy like Jeff (which is also valuable), but you can make up for the TOs by creating baskets that most other players wouldn't and it is also just fun to watch. The combo of Jeff and Fatts in the back court is exciting for me - perfect compliments to one another in a lot of ways.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote:I thought Cyril had a down year. I hope it was just the early season injury. He wasn't the beast he was at the end of his freshman year. Was it Berry starting ahead of him?
The one word to describe Cyril is beast. Who cares who started Cyril always finished the games. We can't forget that he played with an injury all year.

The last 14 games Cyril averaged right around 8 and 6. That's what I expected from him this year since we had so many mouths to feed on offense. That four game stretch of VCU, Davidson, Richmond, and Bonnies was just pure domination. He also played awesome against Oklahoma with 14 and 10.

The key for Cyril is his IQ. If he can stay out of foul trouble the sky is the limit. He was the only guy on our team that had any shot blocking ability which lead to him being called for more fouls. A more balanced lineup will help Cyril stay on the floor.

Cyril, Tate, and Harris is just scary...
Last edited by steveystuds06 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I love everything about Fatts game. When he gets hot behind the 3-point line and is feeling it ...

When he's hounding the player he's guarding and comes up with a crucial steal ...

When he drives through the lane and dishes off a no- look pass ...

When he takes the ball to the hoop and somehow manages to evade defenders a foot taller than him on his way to a beautiful layup ...

But most of all, I love it when Fatts undresses the consensus Player of the Year on national TV. :lol:
4 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:My favorite part of Fatts game is his court vision and passing. He can definitely score it, I love his aggressiveness on offense and defense, he is a joy in transition, etc., but he really sees the court well and is our most imaginative passer. That was always the most fun part of the game for me as a player. It involves some risk and you tend to turn it over more than a ball security minded guy like Jeff (which is also valuable), but you can make up for the TOs by creating baskets that most other players wouldn't and it is also just fun to watch. The combo of Jeff and Fatts in the back court is exciting for me - perfect compliments to one another in a lot of ways.
yup, the passes he can pull off especially in traffic defy logic at times. There were a bunch of times this year he missed out on assists because the pass was fumbled by a player not expecting to get the ball.

most impressive thing to me is his the combo of his no fear and ability to get his shot up when in the trees. He has made acrobatic shots part of his regular game. He is great at using his body to shield off the player and flip the ball up and over.

and we will see a completely different Cyril next year. The hernia really cost him explosiveness this year. Hernias dont heal themselves, he played with it all season, and spent every minute he wasnt on the court on a stationary bike to stay warm
3 x
---
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote:My favorite part of Fatts game is his court vision and passing. He can definitely score it, I love his aggressiveness on offense and defense, he is a joy in transition, etc., but he really sees the court well and is our most imaginative passer. That was always the most fun part of the game for me as a player. It involves some risk and you tend to turn it over more than a ball security minded guy like Jeff (which is also valuable), but you can make up for the TOs by creating baskets that most other players wouldn't and it is also just fun to watch. The combo of Jeff and Fatts in the back court is exciting for me - perfect compliments to one another in a lot of ways.
The court vision and scoring reminds me a lot of Tyson Wheeler!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does anybody know if Cyril had or is having surgery for that hernia?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Fatts has elite athleticism.
Cant wait to see just how great he can be here.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't know who this guy is. He might be David's best friend for all I know. Anyway, another nice testimonial to Coach Cox.

Brad Wachtel‏ @bwachtel23
I’ve never seen another coach connect with his players quite like @coachdc202. @RhodyMBB would be lucky to have David Cox at the helm.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And all along we thought it was Dan who connected with his players lol!
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote:I don't know who this guy is. He might be David's best friend for all I know. Anyway, another nice testimonial to Coach Cox.

I’ve never seen another coach connect with his players quite like @coachdc202. @RhodyMBB would be lucky to have David Cox at the helm.

Looked him up, worked with Cox at Rutgers.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I just googled Brad Wachtel. It looks like he worked with Cox at Rutgers. He was appointed assistant to the head coach (not an assistant coach per the press release). Interestingly, on the same press release Jim Carr was named as director of basketball operations (Press release dated July 1, 2010).

It looks like he is currently not working in basketball as his last job was Director of Basketball Administration at Rutgers which ended June 2016.

Any how, that appears to be the relationship with Cox.

I see DC Rams beat me to it.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Assistant to the head coach - reminds me of "The Office" when Michael Scott used to correct Dwight...
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote:I love everything about Fatts game. When he gets hot behind the 3-point line and is feeling it ...

When he's hounding the player he's guarding and comes up with a crucial steal ...

When he takes the ball to the hoop and somehow manages to evade defenders a foot taller than him on his way to a beautiful layup ...

But most of all, I love it when Fatts undresses the consensus Player of the Year on national TV. :lol:
Fatts is flat-out the fastest/quickest human being I have ever seen in person at anything...hands, feet...name it...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I don't know who this guy is. He might be David's best friend for all I know. Anyway, another nice testimonial to Coach Cox.

Looked him up, worked with Cox at Rutgers.
Someone wants a new j-o-b!

;)
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steviep123 wrote:Assistant to the head coach - reminds me of "The Office" when Michael Scott used to correct Dwight...

My feelings about Dan right now. I'm ready to move on and focus on the future. David Cox will do big things here!!
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
PeteRI wrote:I love everything about Fatts game. When he gets hot behind the 3-point line and is feeling it ...

Fatts is flat-out the fastest/quickest human being I have ever seen in person at anything...hands, feet...name it...
The speed/quickness/toughness combo is so Iverson.
1 x
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

Not sure if it's been discussed, but does David Cox go by "Dave" in conversation?

If he does not, would anyone else share my reservations about hiring such a weirdo? That'd be a major red flag. Psycho stuff.
3 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

I need someone to photoshop him and Trae Young into that AI/Tyronn Lue step over picture.
6 x
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

TruePoint wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Easy. Kuran wasn't THAT fast.
2 x
"Who's pitching? Buddy Groom?" - Lt. Cedric Daniels
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SnooterMagoo wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
We’re talkin Allen here lol
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:
SnooterMagoo wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
We’re talkin Allen here lol
That's the joke, haha

and no surprise an undersized quick guard from Philly resembles AI
2 x
---
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SnooterMagoo wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Yup obvious joke. My bad here.

Been a few days of aggressive trolling to wade through, need to get my bearings again.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SnooterMagoo wrote:Not sure if it's been discussed, but does David Cox go by "Dave" in conversation?

If he does not, would anyone else share my reservations about hiring such a weirdo? That'd be a major red flag. Psycho stuff.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SnooterMagoo wrote:Not sure if it's been discussed, but does David Cox go by "Dave" in conversation?

I have a new favorite person on the board.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Not to get off track, but my "fastest person I've seen on the basketball court". Does anybody remember Rocket Rod Foster? He was a great high school player from Connecticut in the late 70s. We were recruiting and landing some great ones from the state of CT at the time (Sly and Jiggy, to name a couple). Foster was one that got away from both us and UConn. He ended up at UCLA, had a great career there and played a few years in the NBA. Anyway, he was so fast going down the court, it looked like his feet weren't touching the ground. Never seen anyone else that fast.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I can now only hear the name “David” as said by Moira Rose on Schitt’s Creek.

If you’re not watching that show, what even is wrong with you?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ace wrote:

I can now only hear the name “David” as said by Moira Rose on Schitt’s Creek.

If you’re not watching that show, what even is wrong with you?
It's on my list of Netflix show's to watch. After I'm done watching "The Tick" - which is great, but I'm not 100% sure if it's as hilarious as the one on Fox in the early 2000s. Which lasted only 9 episodes, so I was probably the only one to think it was funny.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

God I miss seeing those rams jerseys on the hardwood.
0 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/3252

The Head Coach Job is posted! I was actually checking the URI postings for myself, lol.

URI is very specific in their wording for positions. You'll notice that for #2 it says, "Demonstrated experience as a Division I Head Coach or five years minimum experience as an assistant basketball coach at the college level (preferably Division I) or professional level. Wonder if that wording was in mind for Cox specifically.

Job open date is listed as today, with a close date of 4/2.
4 x