The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by josephski »

adam914 wrote:Looks like he deleted it already, but I saw it too josephski. I also noticed Tate and Martin both retweeted their tweets from earlier last week about URI. Now this is 100% pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if they have been informed of who the next coach will be?
Yea it seems like he can’t figure out his wording, he’s already posted and deleted three tweets lol. I was thinking the same thing, seems like the players possibly have heard something about the next possible coach.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I think it is safe to say this might be the first legitimate sign cox will be announced.
Last edited by sevegny7 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Great minds think alike haha.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Reposted it.
13 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Harris is going to be a beast! Him and CL in the frontcourt is going to be fun to watch.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah so excited the future is bright indeed !!
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Just waiting on Brendan Adam's. He is the only one not to publicly respond. But yeah CL.. Harris ...Dana Tate trio is going to be a nightmare for opponents.
0 x
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

Or this....

1 x
We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

sevegny7 wrote:Just waiting on Brendan Adam's. He is the only one not to publicly respond. But yeah CL.. Harris ...Dana Tate trio is going to be a nightmare for opponents.
Adams isn’t as active on social media. I’m sure he’s still in the fold.
6 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

DC_Rams wrote:
sevegny7 wrote:Just waiting on Brendan Adam's. He is the only one not to publicly respond. But yeah CL.. Harris ...Dana Tate trio is going to be a nightmare for opponents.
Adams isn’t as active on social media. I’m sure he’s still in the fold.

I wasnt concerned or worried just has not actually confirmed. So I do agree. I do think Tate and Martin saying we aren't going anywhere and mention all four in both tweets has substance as well. Think they would all be in contact and communicate during their decisons.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote:Looks like he deleted it already, but I saw it too josephski. I also noticed Tate and Martin both retweeted their tweets from earlier last week about URI. Now this is 100% pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if they have been informed of who the next coach will be?
Yes and I think the tea leaves won’t be too hard to read on this one :D
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote:
Clearly this means Pitino is our new coach.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steveystuds06 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
huzzah!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....so glad we have not heard here that so and so “can flat out coach.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

jcru wrote:I forgot about "Rod from Cranston" and "Milan in Johnston" on TheScore. It's been a long time.

I remember when you, I, Rod, and Tony used to PM together when Jerry D was still here. That was what? 17-18 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Rod predated 790 THE SCORE. I remember him calling into Chuck Wilson's weeknight show on WPRO back in the 80's. If he had not regularly called in, there would not have been much Rhody hoops conversation on air.
2 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

steveystuds06 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Nah. You'll know if that happens. There will be a lot of waitresses in South County leaving their jobs.

As for Rod, he went back to the original talk show, Gus Parmette (spelling) in the 70's. He and Milan were the few voices of URI in a sea of PC callers. He also sent numerous articles to the journal's Letter- To- The Editor columns.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

For the record.......I don't believe the Fast Break club exists any more......

Too many people here are certain, or sure, or know for a fact what other people are doing and thinking.....or in Rod's case....would be thinking.....

We all "know" nothing and hope that the decision makers share each of our desires....and we are certain they do up until the point they don't...

That being said I believe the Cox situation differs from the Jerry D situation and the Claude English situation.....I can't quantify it but I feel it.....

.....I think he is the best opportunity to keep the chains moving.....there will be growing pains next year.....they would be there even with Hurley had he stayed....
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

So maybe URI rejuvenates a career other than Slick Rick
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

Hi guys. Yeah... it's been a while. Thanks.

Jcru - yes. You, Rod, Tony, and I were the "loudest" people during the Jerry D era for sure. Then... Rod and I were once again the loudest during pretty much the entire Jim Baron era. These hires are critical.

5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

jcru wrote:Speaking of Rod Carri...

Does anyone even remember what his claim to fame was? I ask this, because it is relevant to this discussion.

Rod was some obscure URI fan who no one ever heard off outside the Rhody ranks, until one faithful day he undressed Bill Reynolds in a printed response to one of his articles in the Providence Journal. The older members here may recall this. This was slightly before my time, but after Rod mentioned it to me a few times I went out of my way to go look it up.

That was the year Al Skinner left, and Bill Reynolds, who was friendly with Tim O'Shea, Al's top assistant coach, basically said that URI was small time so just hire the assistant coach, "look no further" was his direct quote, from memory.

So, Rod absolutely destroyed Bill in print, I'm surprised they printed it. And it made him something of a Rhody cult hero. The nuts and bolts of it was, that URI should shoot for the stars and get the best possible coach they could and that URI wasn't a farm team for untested coaches, we were beyond that.

Which of course lead to the hiring of Harrick.
Rod would have wanted PM. He mentioned it many times.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hey, Ben. I remember that time very fondly. I'm glad I got to talk to you again, I'm very sorry I wasn't around when Rod passed.

Tony... I never actually knew who that was, but I enjoyed talking to him too.

I'm sorry I wasn't there during the Jim Baron era. I was winded when we finally got rid of Jerry D, only for them to hire Jim Baron for Life. I was glad they hired Dan Hurley. So, at least Rod had that, he was the most vocal for Hurley. Rod was the kind of guy who knew exactly what he wanted, when he saw it.

You take care, Ben.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

See Harris’ follow on reply
Last edited by DC_Rams 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote:

Jermaine Harris‏ @_jharris1 · 51m51 minutes ago
Replying to @AtticusHolley @Dreambig_04 and 4 others

Stay tuned baby
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

DC_Rams wrote:

4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

The Harris commitment is huge! So excited for next season now. This is going to be one helluva roster. So is Adams the only one yet to confirm?
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Adams doesn't really tweet. Hopefully we are good to go.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by jersey Joe »

hey everyone- first post- well not exactly- posted back when Danny was hired because we were childhood friends and I was excited for him and you guys. I think I was attacked after 20 min on here for saying I thought you'd be ncaa bound in year 3 lol, I was off by a few years but it turned out like I thought-i made my first trip to URI in his first season and I instantly loved the place, WAY different from NJ lol, I've been back several times and the kids and the wife love it. I was on 2 D1 staffs in NJ back in the day (one as an administrator and one as an assistant) so I know the landscape although I no longer work in the field and as I said I was close with Danny and followed you guys closely. amazing passion and concern for your program, it's awesome to see it in person at a home game, tremendous energy and feel, different from the supposed "high majors" where they are more prone to take the good times for granted.

was hoping DH would stay but I knew he wouldn't, he's a complicated guy, been fighting that inferiority thing his whole life, needed the "validation" from the (former) powerhouse. he'll win there but hard to root for that community-fans are off the wall entitled and obnoxious but thats just my opinion

you guys have excellent players on the current roster- I don't know the recruits except to say that Danny rarely is wrong about a kid so it's very likely your guys are big time prospects- that combo will have you right in the mix next season. the A10 is a fierce league imo with great coaching (even the Fordham coach is very respected amongst coaches)- it won't be easy but you have everything in place

this hire is EVERYTHING I believe, you cannot get it wrong. same AD who nailed it last time is still in charge and with 6 more years of polish under his belt-i think he'll do it again-
16 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Here’s the starting lineup I’d love to see next year:

PG - Dowtin
SG - Fatts
SF - Tate
PF - Langevine
C - Harris

Or do you guys think it’s more likely we see a 3-guard lineup like this year? It’s fun even discussing the possibilities. Hurley who? This train will keep a rollin’!
7 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

NJRhodyFan wrote:Here’s the starting lineup I’d love to see next year:

PG - Dowtin
SG - Fatts
SF - Tate
PF - Langevine
C - Harris

Or do you guys think it’s more likely we see a 3-guard lineup like this year? It’s fun even discussing the possibilities. Hurley who? This train will keep a rollin’!
I like this starting lineup a lot. Although Jermaine is more of a 4 and Cyril the 5. And Christion could very easily end up as the starting SF depending on how well he bounces back. Can't wait for next season
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think we will be more balanced next season with Cox at the helm....not just the roster but the way we play offense and defense.

I don't think we'll be as intense on defense but still look to disrupt opposing offenses...and on offense we'll be more of a motion and less of an iso type.

Really like to see what having a strong frontcourt will be like.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Welcome Jersey Joe !!!
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I thought Cyril had a down year. I hope it was just the early season injury. He wasn't the beast he was at the end of his freshman year. Was it Berry starting ahead of him?
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Injury and no Hassan or KI are my guesses. He’ll have to be more consistent if he’s going to be “the guy” next to Harris.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hernia was a season long issue. He was better when he could rest it.

Expect him to be much more consistent next season.
1 x
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

thank you reef!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Cyril kicked ass from the game at VCU on really.
His only issue was the hernia and the fact that he apparently played the Nevada game with two sprained ankles. (WTF)
He was healthy for the Buffalo exhibition and went 17 and 10. Those were the types of games he was having in February and March.

If Harris comes in and is as good as advertised, he and Cyril will devour the A-10.

Sooo let's get Cox in here and get these freshman going and let's defend our title!

Awesome post Jersey Joe! I think you turned some of our speculation into truth as far as Danny goes, with him feeling like he needed the Uconn job to feel validated. Interesting and understandable.
We just wish he felt he could validate himself here.
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Hey, jersey, great post. Will you now be going to UConn games.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

jersey Joe wrote:hey everyone- first post- well not exactly- posted back when Danny was hired because we were childhood friends and I was excited for him and you guys. I think I was attacked after 20 min on here for saying I thought you'd be ncaa bound in year 3 lol, I was off by a few years but it turned out like I thought-i made my first trip to URI in his first season and I instantly loved the place, WAY different from NJ lol, I've been back several times and the kids and the wife love it. I was on 2 D1 staffs in NJ back in the day (one as an administrator and one as an assistant) so I know the landscape although I no longer work in the field and as I said I was close with Danny and followed you guys closely. amazing passion and concern for your program, it's awesome to see it in person at a home game, tremendous energy and feel, different from the supposed "high majors" where they are more prone to take the good times for granted.

was hoping DH would stay but I knew he wouldn't, he's a complicated guy, been fighting that inferiority thing his whole life, needed the "validation" from the (former) powerhouse. he'll win there but hard to root for that community-fans are off the wall entitled and obnoxious but thats just my opinion

you guys have excellent players on the current roster- I don't know the recruits except to say that Danny rarely is wrong about a kid so it's very likely your guys are big time prospects- that combo will have you right in the mix next season. the A10 is a fierce league imo with great coaching (even the Fordham coach is very respected amongst coaches)- it won't be easy but you have everything in place

this hire is EVERYTHING I believe, you cannot get it wrong. same AD who nailed it last time is still in charge and with 6 more years of polish under his belt-i think he'll do it again-
Jersey Joe for the win. Interesting insight on Dan's psyche, and I think something that carries a lot of weight especially as we heard of the influences and whispers in his ear. They were aplenty, and from significant figures from what I hear, but it certainly seems to be something he felt like he had to do, whether or not he exactly wanted to is another question. Even in the press conference, he didn't look like a person who landed his dream job. But I digress, maybe I'm "over analyzing". Great to see how quickly you caught the Rhody bug, I think that is why it hits us harder when someone else doesn't feel it as strongly. And you won't find many that disagree with your assertion on the CT fanbase...I said it earlier, different kind of place different kind of fans. DH will find that out quickly. Storrs isn't Durham, Chapel Hill or even Radner, PA. The vitriol will be fierce if it ever comes.
0 x
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

PRT, Big Apple Ram, Obadiah,- thanks guys- I think Danny made a mistake, I really do. He obviously doesn't think so and thats all that counts, but he built a great infrastructure and would have really enjoyed the fruits of that labor for many, many years to come. the conference is excellent, can't argue otherwise. guys stay for 4 years which gives you the continuity the one-and-dones don't have, and the money they offered him and the years....WOW.

but growing up in that house, in the shadow of not only Sr. but Jr. as well took its toll. Danny actually was the better athlete and had the purer jump shot, ask bill raftery if you ever see him at a game (or after the game lol) he'll tell you Danny was the more polished player, longer arms, better instincts, but lacked the obsessive, compulsive commitment that Jr had. As it turns out Danny being the disinterested jokester as a prep player was most likely a massive defense mechanism he used to NOT compete with Jr. Because the reality is that Danny IS obsessive, compulsive, and committed to the grind of winning. he just applied it as an older adult in his craft as a coach and not as a player (although scoring 1000 points in the big east when the big east was THE BIG EAST says a lot about his ability)

imagine this for a second: you're a great player as a high schooler and you're recruited by top 15 programs but not good enough to get a top 5 school to offer. you have a good college career in a great conference but not good enough to get to the nba. then after a decade of coaching high school you get a college try at a low major and your brother hops on the bandwagon after NOT having to grind it out coaching high school for 10 years. then your brother gets a job at Buffalo because the AD is the son of the duke AD and the most famous living basketball coach in the world makes it happen for you AND you inherit the roster and hard work of a former coach who didn't deserve to be fired (Witherspoon is the name, he's now at Canisius, google it and you'll see the weirdness around the dismissal) then the good roster allows a trip to the NCAA'S before Danny can make it there, which in turn allows for a power conference job BEFORE Danny can get there......and you see how Danny was literally just watching history repeat itself as he was the more qualified one but less heralded and less rewarded. Was most likely an exhausting trip down Bad Memory Lane for him. He craved the recognition and the validation. It was 35 years in the making.
4 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

If a decision has been made I'd rather it be known than have to play the RI "post the job for two weeks" game, this isn't the ast manager spot at Home Depot, it's a business where timing in cases such as these is much more important.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

jersey Joe wrote:PRT, Big Apple Ram, Obadiah,- thanks guys- I think Danny made a mistake, I really do. He obviously doesn't think so and thats all that counts, but he built a great infrastructure and would have really enjoyed the fruits of that labor for many, many years to come. the conference is excellent, can't argue otherwise. guys stay for 4 years which gives you the continuity the one-and-dones don't have, and the money they offered him and the years....WOW.

but growing up in that house, in the shadow of not only Sr. but Jr. as well took its toll. Danny actually was the better athlete and had the purer jump shot, ask bill raftery if you ever see him at a game (or after the game lol) he'll tell you Danny was the more polished player, longer arms, better instincts, but lacked the obsessive, compulsive commitment that Jr had. As it turns out Danny being the disinterested jokester as a prep player was most likely a massive defense mechanism he used to NOT compete with Jr. Because the reality is that Danny IS obsessive, compulsive, and committed to the grind of winning. he just applied it as an older adult in his craft as a coach and not as a player (although scoring 1000 points in the big east when the big east was THE BIG EAST says a lot about his ability)

imagine this for a second: you're a great player as a high schooler and you're recruited by top 15 programs but not good enough to get a top 5 school to offer. you have a good college career in a great conference but not good enough to get to the nba. then after a decade of coaching high school you get a college try at a low major and your brother hops on the bandwagon after NOT having to grind it out coaching high school for 10 years. then your brother gets a job at Buffalo because the AD is the son of the duke AD and the most famous living basketball coach in the world makes it happen for you AND you inherit the roster and hard work of a former coach who didn't deserve to be fired (Witherspoon is the name, he's now at Canisius, google it and you'll see the weirdness around the dismissal) then the good roster allows a trip to the NCAA'S before Danny can make it there, which in turn allows for a power conference job BEFORE Danny can get there......and you see how Danny was literally just watching history repeat itself as he was the more qualified one but less heralded and less rewarded. Was most likely an exhausting trip down Bad Memory Lane for him. He craved the recognition and the validation. It was 35 years in the making.
Slow down Jersey Joe, I'm hurting my head nodding in agreement at your post. Haha

Seriously, that is a great take and thank you for coming to this board and sharing it. As you can see, while opinions may vary, everyone knows their stuff here. To the point where I usually can't read the boards of opposing teams that we're playing because it reminds me that I'm on a message board. When this place is at it's best it's as good or better than some of the best, most informed blogs out there and that's what I felt like reading your post.

Interestingly enough, I've heard some of the same things about Dan and his personality, albeit from different channels potentially. I grew up in NJ (Verona) and played travel ball against Raftery's son, Billy Jr. My old man was buddies with Sr. and they would always talk hoops, much of it Seton Hall-centric at the time. Some Dan stories that have been shared (and some that I wouldn't share) seem to line-up with a lot of things that went down in the past month.

Super random NJ hoops side note: My future URI freshman roommate (and 3 years down the line) played on that CYO team with Raftery's son. He doesn't post but is a big time KB lurker (what up Mikey P!) Also on that team was Brandon Knight (of Pitt), Marcus Tony-El (Seton Hall) and another buddy of mine whose OLDER brother walked-on at PC in the early 90's under Rick Barnes. Has great stories about getting owned by Eric Murdock in practice. Brandon came to a party at our house after Pitt came to the Ryan Center and whopped our ass my senior year. Marcus did NOT come to Black Point to party after we beat Seton Hall later that year in the NIT.

Anyways...hoops!
1 x
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

mstyles- didn't young Raf go to Columbia but decided not to play hoops or am I mistaken? and Verona NJ, home of Kevin Bannon who gave Danny his first college job at RU.....small world......many connections
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Thanks for that insight, it helps fill in the gaps.
Last edited by jcru 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

jersey Joe wrote:mstyles- didn't young Raf go to Columbia but decided not to play hoops or am I mistaken? and Verona NJ, home of Kevin Bannon who gave Danny his first college job at RU.....small world......many connections
I believe so. He was the best player on that loaded team, most of which went to Seton Hall Prep and won a State Championship (and #1 in the country ranking). Raf went to Delbarton and played with Troy Murphy. There were some good players in the state around my age that I grew up with playing against/being dominated by at camps. Dujuan Wagner, the Crispin brothers, Al Harrington. And I remember being younger and being in awe of Tim Thomas, Kevin Freeman and Shaheen Halloway.

Kevin Bannon! Here's a Kevin Bannon story...Me and like 20 knuckleheads from Verona would go to his camp every summer when he was at Rider. One year on the last night of camp, we got in a fight with a bunch of kids from another town because they stole a bunch of our stuff (CD players, sneakers, shorts). Bannon was rip shit and embarrassed that his Verona kids would do that, so instead of playing in the championship games the next day we picked up garbage around campus.

My dad still tells that story. He took the day off work and drove down early...

"Hey what court is my son playing on?"
(after some discussion they come back to him)
"Oh, he's out on the campus somewhere picking up garbage."
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Running Ram wrote:If a decision has been made I'd rather it be known than have to play the RI "post the job for two weeks" game, this isn't the ast manager spot at Home Depot, it's a business where timing in cases such as these is much more important.
I don't think this should be too much of a concern, it seems the people that need to know may already know.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

jersey Joe wrote:PRT, Big Apple Ram, Obadiah,- thanks guys- I think Danny made a mistake, I really do. He obviously doesn't think so and thats all that counts, but he built a great infrastructure and would have really enjoyed the fruits of that labor for many, many years to come. the conference is excellent, can't argue otherwise. guys stay for 4 years which gives you the continuity the one-and-dones don't have, and the money they offered him and the years....WOW.

Wow, thanks for putting it in perspective. What you say makes a lot of sense.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DC_Rams wrote:
The “duh” tweet of the day.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote:I think we will be more balanced next season with Cox at the helm....not just the roster but the way we play offense and defense.

I don't think we'll be as intense on defense but still look to disrupt opposing offenses...and on offense we'll be more of a motion and less of an iso type.

Really like to see what having a strong frontcourt will be like.
.........Yes, exactly don’t want us to de-intensify to much on defense, don’t wanna see us loose the pressure on the ball tactics......especially where Fatt’s quick hands can result instant offense, maybe we can get the rim protector player in a Harris......just don’t wanna see us loose the Rhody Road Block signature defense and go into passive type defense that does allow offenses to do their thing......Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just have to wait until the official announcement is made.

Would be nice to hear from Adams, but he's probably waiting until the above happens too.
1 x