The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I hate that Oats has leap frogged over Preston Murphy.

My favorite things about Cox are that people point out that he is smart.

My least favorite is that HE would be a legit candidate for Maryland in a couple years.

But we vote for the President every 4 years so the inevitable dream job talk isn't that bad.
Man, a staff of Cox, Murphy, and Boswell would be deadly. I’d also prefer Murphy over Oats (and I like Oats).
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

PeterRamTime wrote:I'd take loyolas coach...
I think I'm out on Moser. In his 14 seasons as a head coach, this is the first time that he has made the NCAA tournament and the first time that he has finished higher than 5th place in his own conference.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Blue Man wrote:
jcru wrote:Don't you have super-adult responsibilities to be tending to?
Yeah, actually I do. I was just putting my son down for a nap
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I think the learning that occurred went both ways. I've said many times DH came here a good coach and has become a great coach, a bunch of his overall progress came after Cox arrived, could be coincidence, could be DH is on his own path to greatness no matter who was/is there for support, in the end DH had to be willing to grow and adjust and he has. But I believe, with a very limited scope, that Cox had a huge impact on DH's progress as a game coach.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhody22 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I'm going into hibernation for a day.
I’ve heard that somewhere else.... :lol:
Hope you don't wake up in Storrs.
6 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody74 wrote:This isn’t a perfect analogy but hiring Pitino would be like hooking up with a call girl. Sure she’s exciting but you might end up with the clap and nothing more than momentary pleasure. Hiring Cox or Oats would be like marrying the wholesome girl-next-door who you’d like to build a life with.
Hiring Oats would be like the girl that isn't a complete virgin and might know a few choice moves in the bedroom.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

DC_Rams wrote:

My least favorite is that HE would be a legit candidate for Maryland in a couple years.

But we vote for the President every 4 years so the inevitable dream job talk isn't that bad.
Man, a staff of Cox, Murphy, and Boswell would be deadly. I’d also prefer Murphy over Oats (and I like Oats).
Don't sleep on TJ Sorrentine. I personally would LOVE him on staff.

RI guy from St. Rays (even played for Steve McDonald in his CYO days) - 4 year associate HC at Brown. He's credited with developing and perfecting the 2 all-time leaders in 3 pointers in Brown history (Mcgonigal first and Hobbe broke his record).

Losing Dan costs you a great PG mind, would love to sub-in a shooting guard mind to fill that void. Plus it's another local guy to hold down the local area - and I am sure any kid would be inspired by his "TJ Sorrentine FROM THE PARKING LOT" shot against Cuse.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
15 Year Lurker wrote:I have this feeling we should hire Preston Murphy.

But maybe that’s just me.

Hard to think anyone out there wouldn’t want their kid playing for him. But I don’t know much about cox. Maybe it’s similar. I just have this feeling Preston has what it takes to be a great longtime coach here.
honestly, I can see Cox making an offer to Preston to come back. We can offer him a promo by having him take over the associate HC spot. Probably for same/more $ than he's making at Creighton as well.

Cox, Preston, Boswell is a good brain trust
That would be something, I'd be very pleased if that were to occur.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

jcru wrote:Seriously. At least it would be honest. Harris is holding our program hostage. He could turn out to be Scott Hazelton, but we're going to let him.
Really, another baseless comment. Take a look at how many recruits reconsider their decision when the Head Coach that recruited them leaves the school before they even get there. Recruits typically do one of two things - wait to see who the next coach is or ask for their release immediately and don’t pick a school until the coaching changes are done. Many ask for their release.

David Cox coached Harris’ high school coach. Cox made contact with Harris in his Fr year and stayed in contact for four years. The kid wants to see where Coach Cox ends up. These young adults shouldn’t be held hostage by a college (and the aren’t) if the HC that recruited them leaves. Every college grants recruits a release if they ask for it under these circumstances.
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Only if he grows the father's beard.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

sigh, yeah, Rhody83, you made this argument before.

It's not a horrible argument, but luke warm at best.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

So, Oats is probably going nowhere then. Sounds like he wants to go the way of Dan and leapfrog this level.

If he has a loaded roster, you can't blame him.
Last edited by jcru 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

How would we like Mark Schmidt?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Not too sexy, but worth an interview.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Running Ram wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
15 Year Lurker wrote:I have this feeling we should hire Preston Murphy.

But maybe that’s just me.

Hard to think anyone out there wouldn’t want their kid playing for him. But I don’t know much about cox. Maybe it’s similar. I just have this feeling Preston has what it takes to be a great longtime coach here.
honestly, I can see Cox making an offer to Preston to come back. We can offer him a promo by having him take over the associate HC spot. Probably for same/more $ than he's making at Creighton as well.

Cox, Preston, Boswell is a good brain trust
That would be something, I'd be very pleased if that were to occur.
Preston was made associate head coach four years ago and then left to become BC's third assistant. He's not coming back for anything less than the head gig.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, there goes that fantasy.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Hurley Show wrote:How would we like Mark Schmidt?
I think he's a pretty solid coach, but for me he'd be
Tier 1 - Cox
Tier 2- Oats
Tier 3 - PMurph, Jay Larranaga
Tier 4 - Schmidt, Becker...

God forbid if Thorr ends up dropping that low on his priority list (not that mine is anywhere near his).
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Not sure if this article has been posted about Oats. Sounds like it would take quite a bit to get him out of Buffalo right now...plus a million dollar buyout. http://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/c ... d3625.html
I don't think that closes the door at all. And the $1 million buyout would be a wash from what URI is getting from UConn, so not a big factor.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'll have whatever Iggy's having (hopefully not a pre-licked bottle of ketchup).

I don't know how you got that assessment out of that, but I'd be all for it.
0 x
Beachcomber
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Beachcomber »

I agree that hiring a new coach simply to try to save existing players and incoming recruits is a strategy that can easily backfire. that said, tow points:

* Hurley leaving -and going to hated UCONN- hurts, but I'd hope that URI will use this (and the money from the NCAA's and payoff from UCONN for the departure) as a launching point for continued growth as a program. That said, if any of the current players follow Hurley to UCONN (Fatts, Dowtin or Langevine) or any of the incoming recruits arrive there, then the final chapter will be written on his legacy of building a "program" at URI. I've never met Hurley, but the way this went down has left a bad taste. People here who profess to know him have spoken well of his character. We'll soon see. in my view, leaving URI is simply business - taking players and recruits with him is a scumbag move. (Recall that back when Penders went to Texas, Kenny Green wanted to follow him. Penders reputedly told him to stay.)

* If URI hires Cox or any "up and coming coach," I hope they are smart enough to put some REAL protective language into the contract. This is when URI has the most leverage. Some suggestions: if the coach leaves for any major conference, buyout doubles. If he leaves after season when URI makes the NCAA or wins conference title, payout doubles. If he signs onto any other school, and any of his current players transfer to that school or committed recruits sign on with him, payout doubles. If he signs with new school, he agrees to have a home and home with URI within 4 years - if home and home does not happen, then payout doubles. URI has leverage - they should use it.
2 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Beachcomber wrote: * If URI hires Cox or any "up and coming coach," I hope they are smart enough to put some REAL protective language into the contract. This is when URI has the most leverage. Some suggestions: if the coach leaves for any major conference, buyout doubles. If he leaves after season when URI makes the NCAA or wins conference title, payout doubles. If he signs onto any other school, and any of his current players transfer to that school or committed recruits sign on with him, payout doubles. If he signs with new school, he agrees to have a home and home with URI within 4 years - if home and home does not happen, then payout doubles. URI has leverage - they should use it.
Besides the last point (Home and Home with new school), I have never heard of any of the other clauses being written into coaching contracts. I am no expert, but I don't think any agent worth his salt would let his client sign that contract, and URI could lose out on their top several choices by trying to strong-arm those things in there.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My hope is that URI will not have to pay a huge buyout for a new coach and the 1M+ from Hurley goes straight into the practice facility fund. It will be needed. It would be money well spent as this facility will likely far outlive our next coach.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

sf2010 wrote:
Beachcomber wrote: * If URI hires Cox or any "up and coming coach," I hope they are smart enough to put some REAL protective language into the contract. This is when URI has the most leverage. Some suggestions: if the coach leaves for any major conference, buyout doubles. If he leaves after season when URI makes the NCAA or wins conference title, payout doubles. If he signs onto any other school, and any of his current players transfer to that school or committed recruits sign on with him, payout doubles. If he signs with new school, he agrees to have a home and home with URI within 4 years - if home and home does not happen, then payout doubles. URI has leverage - they should use it.
Besides the last point (Home and Home with new school), I have never heard of any of the other clauses being written into coaching contracts. I am no expert, but I don't think any agent worth his salt would let his client sign that contract, and URI could lose out on their top several choices by trying to strong-arm those things in there.
Plus, do you really want a negative incentive in there? Win the conference title and my buyout doubles?
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Hoping some info begins to come out in the next couple days, so we can speculate even more in a different direction, maybe more informed.

From the speculation point:
1) Cox.....I am all in. Not just the fact the seemingly he would have the best chance to keep current roster in tact as much or more than anyone else, but I think his over all resume is worthy of getting his first head job and I believe in continuity, when the program in very good shape and has a good culture. Again, Xavier, Butler in particular are programs that have has used formula and sustained or exceeded status of program

2) Oats would seem to be the hot young guy and looks to be one of the next rising stars in the business, but I still maintain he is no certain thing to succeed either. I would certainly consider him, but give me Cox if he is the best name. Not a very long sample size either, though in his short time has been very impressive

3) Becker.....certainly has been a very solid coach at Vermont maintaining the winning in Burlington, but for me a big NO. I have heard some things about his ability to recruit and connections with prep schools and aau program that I don't like. Just heresay perhaps but I would question his ability to recruit the type of athlete we are now becoming accustomed to

4) Moser....if he would have any interest I have no idea, but if he did, certainly worth an interview. Don't know a lot about him since this year, but I know he is a Rick Majerus guy and I think Rick Majerus was an outstanding coach. Also not an eastern guy, and I am always partial to guys familiar with overall landscape here in the northeast, in recruiting circles in particular.

5) Pitino.....no doubt "sexy" and beyond proven. Like I said got to know the guy when he was a very young man at PC and watched some of his practice and was fascinated by the guys ability to coach, coach player individually himself in certain aspects of the game, motivate and everything you need to have HOF numbers as a coach His coaching job of getting Dave Kipfer, Jacek Duda, Pops Lewis, Billy D is still the most remarkable coaching job I have even seen. But too many issues, ethically and perhaps legally and as BAR say , they are not even in the rear view mirror yet. I may have had a different thought when Dan was hired and program was in a mess and I would more likely be willing to consider such a high risk guy. Our program is in very good shape now and not in any way in a desperation mode.

6) Matta.....definitely would be of interest IMO if indeed he would have any interest.

No sure of other names being speculated as possible candidates, but these are the names I seem to see listed the most and I think beside Cox, the names are all just that, speculation.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I don’t really give a rats arse who the HC is as long as I never ever see the basketball cluelessly tossed around the top of a zone defense like I did on Senior Night and in the Duke game. I don’t ever want to see us pull up into a motion or high ball screen offense when the opponent is backpedaling or not set. I know for certain if PM is coaching this team we will never see either of those things again.

This is the home of fast break basketball let’s remember who we are!!! Harrick was perfection except for his inability to focus on anything but coaching ( and completely loosing his mind in the final minute vs. Stanford)

I trust Thorr doesn’t wanna see that set offense / run the shot clock down crap either.

Go Rhody!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What's the latest on Pitt search ??
0 x
URIROTC2006
Abdul Fox

Unread post by URIROTC2006 »

Is it a dumb idea to think Tyson Wheeler would do well?

My thoughts are that we should try bringing in an Alumni. Someone that loves the school, loves the program, and is here for the long run. Hurley showed us exactly what an outsider can do.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

"What an outsider can do"? Like, going from 8 wins to 25, 26 and to two NCAAT wins in 6 years? Yeah...no more outsiders...
5 x
URIROTC2006
Abdul Fox

Unread post by URIROTC2006 »

Ok. Point taken. Just hoping for more loyalty in the next HC.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Blue Man wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:

RI guy from St. Rays (even played for Steve McDonald in his CYO days) - 4 year associate HC at Brown. He's credited with developing and perfecting the 2 all-time leaders in 3 pointers in Brown history (Mcgonigal first and Hobbe broke his record).

Losing Dan costs you a great PG mind, would love to sub-in a shooting guard mind to fill that void. Plus it's another local guy to hold down the local area - and I am sure any kid would be inspired by his "TJ Sorrentine FROM THE PARKING LOT" shot against Cuse.
I'm a big fan of TJ as well!
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Two TJs on the same staff? That would be chaos!
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

URIROTC2006 wrote:Is it a dumb idea to think Tyson Wheeler would do well?

My thoughts are that we should try bringing in an Alumni. Someone that loves the school, loves the program, and is here for the long run. Hurley showed us exactly what an outsider can do.
Alums aren't necessarily here for the long run - Preston took a higher level gig, ARD left,etc.

Would love the idea because I love Tyson, but I think the hope is that Dave Cox (or whoever Thorr picks) is a long-term hire. I don't think you're keeping an alum here for anything less than the HC role. You certainly could keep them around for a bit longer if we increased the assistants pool though.

If we're talking about a head coach shot over Cox, I would disagree. The only weakness I've heard about Dave Cox from anyone on this board is that he's "unproven" as a head coach (though he actually was head coach for several games and months during the Mike Rice fiasco at Rutgers - which is more "head coach" experience than Preston or Tyson have combined).

Now I don't believe that to be true, I've always believed that if you're ready for a job you're ready for it, regardless of what your "experience" says.

Either way if all things are the same and that "unproven" bit matters - why would you risk breaking up the momentum of what we've built here?

If you lose your players and recruits - you are condemning the program to a rebuild at a time it is not needed.

For the sake of argument, let's say a certain "adult" mouth breathing idiot on this forum is correct and somehow Cox crashes and burns in 2 years; no matter how willfully ignorant, dumb, or uninformed that sounds:

The talent, direction, and continuity of the best team in the conference for the past 2 years - is worth the "risk" of hiring the architect of those personnel decisions.

Then if, for whatever reason, it needs to be rebuilt, you rebuild it.

But taking one "unproven" coach for another just to say you went outside of the program to do it is nonsensical. Every good program that people have wanted to emulate follows a succession plan from within. We should be doing the same.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:"What an outsider can do"? Like, going from 8 wins to 25, 26 and to two NCAAT wins in 6 years? Yeah...no more outsiders...
true, but there is a world of difference in the 2 situations.

6 years ago we were at rock bottom, now we are on the edge of moving into the realm of perennial mid major power
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:

I suggested him to reply of Koch tweet when O'shea firing first came out, as a potential candidate for Bryant. Local kid would seem to make a lot of sense, though not sure if he is ready to take the reins. Agree he has great pedigree and seems primed for a step up.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

BM, I knew that was your take from the beginning, just glad you finally spelled it out.

And, that's fine. I'm less concerned with him crashing and burning in two years, than a mass exodus happening even if he does get hired. You know, after it is basically promised that isn't going to happen.

That's the more immediate concern.

The point about the crashing and burning in two years, was about Rod. He would have said, engineer the contract to protect yourself, IF he does get hired. I know that, because I had that specific conversation with him countless times both on the board and off it, in the past.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man, Jcru seems to think about the day you met A LOT... Lock your doors tonight...
Tough Guy.jpg
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

jcru wrote:BM, I knew that was your take from the beginning, just glad you finally spelled it out.

And, that's fine. I'm less concerned with him crashing and burning in two years, than a mass exodus happening even if he does get hired. You know, after it is basically promised that isn't going to happen.

That's the more immediate concern.

The point about the crashing and burning in two years, was about Rod. He would have said, engineer the contract to protect yourself, IF he does get hired. I know that, because I had that specific conversation with him countless times both on the board and off it, in the past.
Um - my take hasn't changed at all, so OK.

Again your thoughts are convoluted and confusing - so you're not concerned with him crashing and burning even though you just said he was going to and that's why he didn't warrant a 4 year contract? And now the guy who was the lead recruit on most of the roster (Dowtin, Martin, Adams, Harris are from the DMV) wouldn't be able to keep the class together?

Either way, can you stop bringing up Rod to try and score argument points in every other post? You're acting like you were so close to the guy but you had no idea he passed until a week ago.

I miss the guy more than most, and if I knew him well-enough, I knew he HATED other people putting words in his mouth or speaking for him.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I love the meme's lol

That looks a little like a young Bruce Murray. Poor guy, RIP
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Fine, BM.

But it's such a shock that you are championing a cause that is so 180 degree different than what he preached, is all.

But, I suppose that's the Big Time Donor influence. No escaping that.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I'm not pushing him for head coach, but does anyone know what Roland Houston has been doing since George Mason whacked Paul Hewitt?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Speaking of Rod Carri...

Does anyone even remember what his claim to fame was? I ask this, because it is relevant to this discussion.

Rod was some obscure URI fan who no one ever heard off outside the Rhody ranks, until one faithful day he undressed Bill Reynolds in a printed response to one of his articles in the Providence Journal. The older members here may recall this. This was slightly before my time, but after Rod mentioned it to me a few times I went out of my way to go look it up.

That was the year Al Skinner left, and Bill Reynolds, who was friendly with Tim O'Shea, Al's top assistant coach, basically said that URI was small time so just hire the assistant coach, "look no further" was his direct quote, from memory.

So, Rod absolutely destroyed Bill in print, I'm surprised they printed it. And it made him something of a Rhody cult hero. The nuts and bolts of it was, that URI should shoot for the stars and get the best possible coach they could and that URI wasn't a farm team for untested coaches, we were beyond that.

Which of course lead to the hiring of Harrick.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Pretty sure Rod would still be all in on Preston Murphy

Harrick redux

Sadly I can’t ask him

:(
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

jcru wrote:Speaking of Rod Carri...

Does anyone even remember what his claim to fame was? I ask this, because it is relevant to this discussion.

Rod was some obscure URI fan who no one ever heard off outside the Rhody ranks, until one faithful day he undressed Bill Reynolds in a printed response to one of his articles in the Providence Journal. The older members here may recall this. This was slightly before my time, but after Rod mentioned it to me a few times I went out of my way to go look it up.

That was the year Al Skinner left, and Bill Reynolds, who was friendly with Tim O'Shea, Al's top assistant coach, basically said that URI was small time so just hire the assistant coach, "look no further" was his direct quote, from memory.

So, Rod absolutely destroyed Bill in print, I'm surprised they printed it. And it made him something of a Rhody cult hero. The nuts and bolts of it was, that URI should shoot for the stars and get the best possible coach they could and that URI wasn't a farm team for untested coaches, we were beyond that.

Which of course lead to the hiring of Harrick.
Rod was also well known well before that for calling into local sports talk radio as "Rod from Cranston". Anyway, knowing Rod (online) as I do, I think that Rod would be open to the candidates with best possible credentials or potential to go far while here. He'd be intrigued by a Harrick type and would consider certain known commodities - depending on their reputation and credentials.

5 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Iggy1979 wrote:Thorr wants to hire the next Hurley. So right now he's asking himself: is that the guy who has been his associate coach, has watched how he operates, has learned from him; or is that a guy who has a resume more like Dan's (Becker, Oats).
After the interviews, he'll have the answer.
I don't question that Oats and Becker have better resumes , if you will, than Cox, only because they have been head coaches. While it is possible both will become outstanding coaches at a higher level than they are currently, I would argue neither has a resume that knocks you off your feet. Oats, has been a coach 3 years, thats it, 5 years he has been involved at a D-1 level and has never been involved with a program even at the level of URI, in any manner. His team was incredible this year, all year and dominated MAC, then took out (what was a very over rated IMO) Arizona team , but nevertheless took them out and blew them out, then his team was handled easily by KY. Very impressive year, no doubt. His 2 years prior were barely over .500. Bobby H did take a key player and they lost another key player that year and he won the conference tourney in his 1st year as hc, which is a great thing,very impressive, but I am not sure it's all telling. He does look very impressive, but is it possible he caught lighting in a bottle this year? He has a great team coming back. But , I ask, does he not come, if he were to be the guy, come without question marks as anyone else would? About 10 years I remember Will Brown from Albany was a very hot name at the time to move to a bigger conference job. He never made the move for whatever reason, but he has had success since then, but never a guy that has been mentioned prominently like he was after a couple incredible years 10 years ago.

It's not like he has a resume, or a longer one at a higher level, like a Pitino, Matta or Crean whose name was out there originally. If I go in that direction ,over what I believe to be a very qualified assistant who is ready for a chance, I would like to see a bit of a longer history and resume.

Becker also looks very good record wise and has carried on what Tom Brennan started and Mike Lonergan continued, so that is certainly a positive. But he is another guy who, while he has a nice resume is far from startling in my eyes. Really not much greater than Jim Baron. Vermont is arguably and I believe to be a much better job than Bonnies even though is a lesser conference.

Hey, they both may be great choices if it ever came to either, I am not about to rule them out or have any animosity if it were to be one of those guys or someone similar, but with those type of names, on the surface anyway, I think it has to be Coach Cox.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Ben wrote:Rod was also well known well before that for calling into local sports talk radio as "Rod from Cranston". Anyway, knowing Rod (online) as I do, I think that Rod would be open to the candidates with best possible credentials or potential to go far while here. He'd be intrigued by a Harrick type and would consider certain known commodities - depending on their reputation and credentials.

Ben!

I default to your superior knowledge. I knew him well online, well, "PM", but I won't claim to know him better than you did.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Welcome back Ben! Was wondering if you would weigh in...
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I forgot about "Rod from Cranston" and "Milan in Johnston" on TheScore. It's been a long time.

I remember when you, I, Rod, and Tony used to PM together when Jerry D was still here. That was what? 17-18 years ago. Seems like yesterday.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Just posted this in Harris’ recruiting thread but it’s probably worth posting here as well!

Edit: and it looks like he deleted the tweet.

First tweet said “can’t wait to get my grind on at rhody!”

Second tweet said “Rhode Island is home now”
Last edited by josephski 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looks like he deleted it already, but I saw it too josephski. I also noticed Tate and Martin both retweeted their tweets from earlier last week about URI. Now this is 100% pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if they have been informed of who the next coach will be?
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

3 x