The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URI'21
Kenny Green

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by URI'21 »

You guys are quick to be condescending towards anyone supporting Pitino, but how can you have this much faith in Cox? The man is a great recruiter who did great work for our program. But can you not see the risk in hiring a guy with ZERO cbb head coaching experience? Our program is in a great place right now and for me at least, over four decades of college basketball head coaching excellence seems like a much better bet than someone with none.

Also - anyone saying that they guarantee Pitino would destroy the program is talking out of their ass because NOBODY CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hey, why don't you get all of your big booster friends together and shave your head into a mohawk and don the blue face paint and have a big pep rally for Cox. You make a great cheerleader.

I hope the next time you meet Thorr and you pressure him for an answer on the coach search, he tells you to MYOB and STFU
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

BruceW wrote:Regardless of sentiment towards him Rick Pitino needs to be in the conversation. If someone put a gun to your head and said QUICKLY , Name the 3 Best College Basketball Coaches in America Today. I think it would a good bet that Pitino's name would appear quite often. For that reason his stature as a coach elevates this program. It matters not on who agrees or disagrees with that thought. Because it will resonate in a very positive manner. Pitino adamantly denies the charges. His attorney is shouting there is absolutely no proof or evidence. The question is not anything about the hiring of Rick Pitino. But rather that someone as accomplished with that resumé will automatically elevate many potential recruits, coaches and media attention. That is not a bad thing. That is simply apart of the process.
Why didn't Georgia, UConn, Memphis, Pitt or anyone else try to hire Rick Pitino? Really want you to give this one some thought and see if you can come up with something that differentiates them from URI.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

How come Cox is this master recruiter and tactician yet, in his mid 40s, has peaked as a G'Town assistant (if you were to just rank the programs he has worked for)or URI associate HC? I mean, this is an honest question. Yes...many guys get their first gigs at this age but has he even interviewed anywhere? Why wouldn't someone take a shot on him like Wagner with Hurley? There are a million schools in the 95 corridor that should have given him a shot given his resume. Is there something we don't know?
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote:My take - URI will look at several candidates. A plus for Cox will be his involvement in the recruiting of current and incoming players and knowledge of the program. His weakness will be that he has never run his own D1 program. A candidate like Becker will get high marks for already running a successful D1 program with lack of specific knowledge of the URI program and consistently recruiting A-10 level players his drawbacks. All candidates will have their strengths and faults which will need to be evaluated. Thorr will have to look down the road. Who will have URI in the best position two years from now, four years, six years, etc..While the short term is a consideration, he must not hire just for next season. If David Cox is the best overall candidate, he should get the job. If someone else is deemed the best, they should get it.
same as Few, Mack, Matta, Shaka, Sean and Archie Miller, Brad Stevens.

Point is for the high mids you're best bet to sustain success is to have the next guy in house, promote from within, and keep the same culture and momentum going. That's how you build instead of being stuck in the same 6 year cycle of success - coach leaves - new coach rebuilds - success - coach leaves.

Unless a Thad Matta is calling saying "so about that open position..." you go with Cox.
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Absolutely NO PITINO!!!! No school with any self respect would hire that scum.
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

jcru wrote:Hey, why don't you get all of your big booster friends together and shave your head into a mohawk and don the blue face paint and have a big pep rally for Cox. You make a great cheerleader.

I hope the next time you meet Thorr and you pressure him for an answer on the coach search, he tells you to MYOB and STFU
If I ever had Thorr's ear and I tried to pressure him (PS: I wouldn't), I certainly would hope and expect him to tell me to politely mind my business. It's his decision - he hit a monster home run 6 years ago with Hurley and I trust him to do the same.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

BTW, Blue Man. You may not remember me. But I sure as hell remember you.

Rod pointed you out as you went running by the day of the press conference when Dan got hired.

You were like a blur, trying to get in anyone's face you could in your excitement.

Like I said, you make a great cheerleader.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RF1 wrote:My take - URI will look at several candidates. A plus for Cox will be his involvement in the recruiting of current and incoming players and knowledge of the program. His weakness will be that he has never run his own D1 program. A candidate like Becker will get high marks for already running a successful D1 program with lack of specific knowledge of the URI program and consistently recruiting A-10 level players his drawbacks. All candidates will have their strengths and faults which will need to be evaluated. Thorr will have to look down the road. Who will have URI in the best position two years from now, four years, six years, etc..While the short term is a consideration, he must not hire just for next season. If David Cox is the best overall candidate, he should get the job. If someone else is deemed the best, they should get it.

Point is for the high mids you're best bet to sustain success is to have the next guy in house, promote from within, and keep the same culture and momentum going. That's how you build instead of being stuck in the same 6 year cycle of success - coach leaves - new coach rebuilds - success - coach leaves.

Unless a Thad Matta is calling saying "so about that open position..." you go with Cox.
This again. Holy Cow. Why not just add that George Washington had never been president before and the country gave him that job?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I don't have any issue with Cox's resume, in fact I think hiring Cox would likely be an excellent move, I have concerns about fans like myself being patient if Cox happens to have some growing pains, some guys come in and it feels like they were born to be HC, some have a little learning curve on their way to the top. DH became a much better coach and leader over the 6 years he was here. He talks about it himself. I don't think it's a coincidence that things really took off when Cox got involved in the X's and O's and we know he can recruit his ass off. I'd be happy with the hiring of Cox, but save the vitriol for those who think slick should be a real option, he will sell seats, coach his ass off and make great headlines. As far as I'm concerned they are the only two names that are not under contract with another school that I would consider (good thing I'm not the AD).
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
steviep123
Sly Williams

Almost every existing coach was once an assistant.

About Matta, didn't he turn down Georgia because of health issues?
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Gonebarongone wrote:

This again. Holy Cow. Why not just add that George Washington had never been president before and the country gave him that job?
And to his credit he gave it back.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The Venn diagram of folks who think we shouldn't hire David Cox and the folks who haven't paid attention to this team recently is a single overlapping circle.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
10 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

jcru wrote:Hey, why don't you get all of your big booster friends together and shave your head into a mohawk and don the blue face paint and have a big pep rally for Cox. You make a great cheerleader.

Haha I post facts and then because I have more sensible facts and data than you, you go and revert to what I believe is you trying to insult me? But yeah, as a fan I would go to a pep-rally for Cox. At least the press conference. That's what fans do, support their program.

Which, by the way...this is the WEAKEST insult I've heard in my 31 years on the planet.

I mean, thank you? Yeah I shaved my head and painted my face as a college student. It's in my avatar. OH MY GOD THE HORROR!!! A COLLEGE KID WAS A "CHEERLEADER" FOR HIS FAVORITE BASKETBALL TEAM!! HE LED THE STUDENT SECTION!! GET HIM, JCRU!!!

I know better than to bother Thorr this week, or pressure him for an answer. I also don't think it's in Thorr's vocabulary or demeanor to tell anyone to mind their own business or shut the fuck up. Seriously you know so little about this program and the people in it I almost think you stopped following at Tom McElroy.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

The people beating the "Pitino will sell seats!!" drum reminds me of all the NFL fans who said [team X] should make Tim Tebow their QB because "He'd sell seats!!" while blatantly ignoring all the facts that he was a terrible NFL QB.

Some people are blatantly ignoring the fact that Pitino was fired in disgrace from his last HC position, his name is (rightly or wrongly) synonymous with cheating scum, and is 65 years old with not many years of coaching left, even were he hired.

You know what sells seats? WINNING. If Cox gives them the best chance to WIN over the next five years (which I believe he does), then give him the job.
9 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

It appears majority of people here have similar feelings on what their opinion is. I am more in the DC Ram camp of backing Cox, a few don't want him it also seems. But I think the majority of the people really don't know how this will shake out, who are names that have shown interest or that URI has possibly shown interest in. At this point much we say and believe is based on what we assume. When we start to hear some names, I think opinions will certainly change at that point. I also believe ,although we have our opinions, which vary, at this point that the majority trust the decision that Thorr and Dooley will make. I think we are in good hands and also have a good amount of faith in these 2 gentlemen and the process they will go through to make their decision. We will just have to wait, news should begin to develop this week.

And for those who seem very anti a Cox hire, what is it that you are looking for? I agree with many who also say , let the process play out and seem who may be in the mix. If there is a name the knocks our socks off, certainly throw him into consideration. But who may that be? I ask, because I have no idea? Oats? Moser?

Pitino? Yes anyone would be foolish to say the guy can't coach and would probably be the only guy out there would be close to 100% to maintain and probably grow the program on the court. But of course there is his long history of problems and ethics. Doe URI want to go that route? We are almost 100% in the thought that we are very proud of not only the results on the court, but also the quality and character of kids Dan has brought in. Would you sacrifice that? I don't know.

Maybe a name like Tom Crean if he were still available, but who else?

While URI is in a far superior position as a program and a position to hire and attract better candidates for the job, I am also not sure that the "splash" apparently some are looking for is going to jump out there for us. We were in awful shape and got a true rising star in the coaching world in Dan, perfect man for the job. We were lucky. He was more or less a no brainer. I am not so sure there is someone out there that I would I think is a near can't miss guy in the coaching world right now.
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
BruceW wrote:Regardless of sentiment towards him Rick Pitino needs to be in the conversation. If someone put a gun to your head and said QUICKLY , Name the 3 Best College Basketball Coaches in America Today. I think it would a good bet that Pitino's name would appear quite often. For that reason his stature as a coach elevates this program. It matters not on who agrees or disagrees with that thought. Because it will resonate in a very positive manner. Pitino adamantly denies the charges. His attorney is shouting there is absolutely no proof or evidence. The question is not anything about the hiring of Rick Pitino. But rather that someone as accomplished with that resumé will automatically elevate many potential recruits, coaches and media attention. That is not a bad thing. That is simply apart of the process.
Why didn't Georgia, UConn, Memphis, Pitt or anyone else try to hire Rick Pitino? Really want you to give this one some thought and see if you can come up with something that differentiates them from URI.
I don't think this is strong.

Georgia made a Georgia basketball hire, which also took tarnished Crean off the table for the rest.

UConn took Dan Hurley, who is a basketball prince.

Memphis hired Hardaway, who took to youth basketball like a shark to water. And is an absolute hero there.

Pitt? Pitt is in the place Tennessee football was 4 months ago. And they also hired Kevin Stallings after running Dixon out of town, so I'm not sure I would hold them up as a program that knows what they are doing.
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:The Venn diagram of folks who think we shouldn't hire David Cox and the folks who haven't paid attention to this team recently is a single overlapping circle.
Coming from one of the first on here to advocate for Pitino, I support a Cox hiring and if I were in charge he would get the job.

But it is an absolute joke that people are dismissing a HOF caliber HC with 40+ years of experience because "he's a scumbag". I think somebody with his resume deserves an interview and a consideration.

Sorry that you some of you have made up your minds about Cox as HC and have tunnel vision. I think that is more ridiculous than wanting Thorr to give Pitino a look
5 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Gonebarongone wrote:

Last time I checked Matta, Few, Shaka, The Millers, Stevens did NOT start the basketball programs at Butler, X, Dayton, VCU...

try to keep up junior.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

URI'21 wrote:You guys are quick to be condescending towards anyone supporting Pitino, but how can you have this much faith in Cox? The man is a great recruiter who did great work for our program. But can you not see the risk in hiring a guy with ZERO cbb head coaching experience? Our program is in a great place right now and for me at least, over four decades of college basketball head coaching excellence seems like a much better bet than someone with none.

Also - anyone saying that they guarantee Pitino would destroy the program is talking out of their ass because NOBODY CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE
Im anti Pitino, that is all. There a bunch of young bright coaching prospects who are not walking NCAA violations.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If I thought Matta and Moser were actual options, then I’d certainly revisit my stance, but other than them, RIGHT NOW, today, I see no other viable option that would knock securing “continuity” out of the way.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
I don't think this is strong.

Georgia made a Georgia basketball hire, which also took tarnished Crean off the table for the rest.

UConn took Dan Hurley, who is a basketball prince.

Memphis hired Hardaway, who took to youth basketball like a shark to water. And is an absolute hero there.

Pitt? Pitt is in the place Tennessee football was 4 months ago. And they also hired Kevin Stallings after running Dixon out of town, so I'm not sure I would hold them up as a program that knows what they are doing.
So you're telling me that Rick Pitino, who has taken three different schools to the Final Four and is one of the handful of most famous college basketball coaches alive, didn't draw any interest from these programs because traditional powerhouse Georgia had better things in mind, Memphis needed to hire a former player who has never coached in college at all, and Pitt just doesn't know what it's doing and forgot Pitino was out there? No, the reason he was not a candidate for those jobs is because he is persona non grata. He is toxic and untouchable for a respectable program at this point (and Memphis!). He might be coaching D3 next year for $85k if he really wants to coach again. Even UConn, which landed the hottest coach on the market, would have taken Pitino if there weren't any other issues going on. The degree to which he is being shunned by the rest of the basketball world should make people seriously suggesting him as a candidate here rethink what they are saying.
3 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

TruePoint wrote:
Good morning, I gave that post lots of thought as the name Rick Pitino has conjured up many over thoughts by loyal URI fans. In answering that question Georgia is a big time football school. And as the saying goes "You don't take a basketball job at a football school". PITT is in the ACC with Louisville so that could explain them. UCONN & Memphis are in the American and both have great tradition. Both of their schools have great success. UCONN from all reports I have read wanted Hurley. Memphis wanted someone with ties to the community. Yes we all know the allegations attached to Pitino's name. But they are working very hard to clear him. Should URI reach out to him now. That could only be a positive.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

"Georgia made a Georgia basketball hire, which also took tarnished Crean off the table for the rest."

Educate me how is Crean "tarnished"? 9 NCAAs, a final 4, 3 sweet 16's? 11-9 in NCAA games, national coach of they year a Marquette? Coached guys like Dwyane Wade and Victor Olidipo? He went into a program at Indiana that was at a low point in its history after Kelvin Sampson got them on probation and left a once very proud program in an absolute mess. Crean turned it around , beginning with walk on players at the beginning of his tenure to 2 sweet 16s. He was actually fired 2 years after he got his team to a sweet 16 and went to a NIT and then was fired. Indiana is a rare school, where, with an incredible tradition , in which it's final 4s or you are a failure. I think a pretty good resume.

Ironically Crean was interviewed here and a finalist back when Harrick came here and before he got his first head job at Marquette a year later. He was top assistant for Izzo.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Blue Man wrote:
jcru wrote:I mean, thank you? Yeah I shaved my head and painted my face as a college student. It's in my avatar. OH MY GOD THE HORROR!!! A COLLEGE KID WAS A "CHEERLEADER" FOR HIS FAVORITE BASKETBALL TEAM!! HE LED THE STUDENT SECTION!! GET HIM, JCRU!!!
Well, you just never grew up, that's all. No shame in that. All that means is the day Rod tried to introduce you and you ran by to greet your friends, and he said "ah, nevermind", you were 25. And now it's 6 years later and you haven't changed all that much. It's ok, I get it.

But, I definitely was FOR Dan Hurley, for the same reasons I am weary about hiring an assistant. Anyone should have at least a few well founded reservation of hiring someone who is going to "cut his teeth" using our program... even if he get's the job.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

(and from left field) Fred Hoiberg!

I don't want to beat the Pitino drum anymore but outside of him, yes Pitt went 0-18 in their conference. It appears they have no clue what they are doing. Have you seen the reports about their board meetings being scheduled and canceled? They thought they could swoop in on Dan Hurley and contend with UConn? When Dan is hobnobbing with Calhoun all year and hiring his buddies?

Georgia is obviously not a traditional powerhouse.

Hiring Hardaway is basically hiring Coach Cal-light for Memphis. Hardaway is plugged in with Nike and with local recruits on another level. They have hired Cal, Pastner, and now Hardaway. All recruiting oriented hires. Tubby Smith was an outlier and was ran out of town.

Again I know this comes from the thinking that if RP was hireable he would have been at those places. But I think Hardaway to Memphis has been in the works. Georgia sucks. And Pitt still needs a coach and Pitino still needs a job. I don't care if he coaches here. I wondered all season if Cox could take the ball and run with it. The writing was on the wall.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

giovanni wrote:"Georgia made a Georgia basketball hire, which also took tarnished Crean off the table for the rest."

Ironically Crean was interviewed here and a finalist back when Harrick came here and before he got his first head job at Marquette a year later. He was top assistant for Izzo.
Interesting. I didn't know Crean was a finalist. Gee someone with no head coaching experience that later went to a final four with his first team and a had a lot of success with Indiana.

Of course Cox could be a risk, but sometimes the risk is worth the reward. We'll have to wait and see.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Lots of "trust Thorr to make the right call" and "fully support whoever Thorr chooses" talk.
Will those that are saying that now stay in the fold if he chooses Pitino? Or, is he only to be trusted if he 'doesn't hire Pitino'?
3 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Lots of "trust Thorr to make the right call" and "fully support whoever Thorr chooses" talk.
Will those that are saying that now stay in the fold if he chooses Pitino? Or, is he only to be trusted if he 'doesn't hire Pitino'?
I trust him to not hire Pitino.
7 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

giovanni wrote:"Georgia made a Georgia basketball hire, which also took tarnished Crean off the table for the rest."

Educate me how is Crean "tarnished"? 9 NCAAs, a final 4, 3 sweet 16's? 11-9 in NCAA games, national coach of they year a Marquette? Coached guys like Dwyane Wade and Victor Olidipo? He went into a program at Indiana that was at a low point in its history after Kelvin Sampson got them on probation and left a once very proud program in an absolute mess. Crean turned it around , beginning with walk on players at the beginning of his tenure to 2 sweet 16s. He was actually fired 2 years after he got his team to a sweet 16 and went to a NIT and then was fired. Indiana is a rare school, where, with an incredible tradition , in which it's final 4s or you are a failure. I think a pretty good resume.

There are message boards and fan bases outside of here. Tom crean was fired and people openly ask if riding the Dwayne Wade thing has buoyed him all these years. I had a buddy that went to school with Wade at Marquette and talked about how strange Wade's recruitment was. I think he was married with kids at like 18. One moment he was coaching Olidipo and being on tv with the Harbaughs. Next he was gone.

I agree with you that he is accomplished.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I was being sarcastic calling Georgia a powerhouse. The point was that if Pitino were employable, any of those schools would have been crazy to hire who they did (or who they will, in Pitt's case) over him. But they didn't even get criticism for not hiring him from their own media or fans. I don't know if Rhode Island is still in its own world (thought the internet would have fixed some of that) or what, but he is not going to be a serious candidate for a real program ever again. Never mind a program like URI that is in its ascent and has been built up the right way by people who have been very thoughtful about who they let near it.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

jcru wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
jcru wrote:I mean, thank you? Yeah I shaved my head and painted my face as a college student. It's in my avatar. OH MY GOD THE HORROR!!! A COLLEGE KID WAS A "CHEERLEADER" FOR HIS FAVORITE BASKETBALL TEAM!! HE LED THE STUDENT SECTION!! GET HIM, JCRU!!!
Well, you just never grew up, that's all. No shame in that. All that means is the day Rod tried to introduce you and you ran by to greet your friends, and he said "ah, nevermind", you were 25. And now it's 6 years later and you haven't changed all that much. It's ok, I get it.

But, I definitely was FOR Dan Hurley, for the same reasons I am weary about hiring an assistant. Anyone should have at least a few well founded reservation of hiring someone who is going to "cut his teeth" using our program... even if he get's the job.
Lol we talked for like 2 minutes. I remember you. Not enough to make a full assessment on your standing on "adulthood" 6 years later, but your posts are certainly painting a picture.

Assuming I never grew up because I swear on a message board is stupid and short-sighted. Also I'm curious, what makes you such an adult? Is it trolling on a message board? Is it your ignorant and insipid posts? Or maybe there's a part of you that's different in real life versus an internet message board dedicated to a historically fledgling college basketball program?

Dude you and a couple others can go have a "I'm more adult than Blue Man party" for all I give a shit. Let me know when you start giving enough money to the program to outweigh your ridiculous and uninformed opinions you put forth out here.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Now we are going to compare Cox and Crean? Guy recruited a national title team and coached under one of the all time greats. And he took over a conference USA team on the way down. Again. if not for this 2018 class, this board would be going nuts if there was a lack of national search and just handing it to Cox (not saying that is what is happening here). Roster continuity and recruiting momentum is not unimportant but it should be a tiebreaker in my mind. Think of what Hurley lost after he took the job. Maybe Cox is the best candidate. But we should scour the country to find out.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Lots of "trust Thorr to make the right call" and "fully support whoever Thorr chooses" talk.

I don't think the people that don't want Pitino hired have anything to worry about. Thorr and Presdient Doooley are sane and rational people. There is ZERO chance URI hires Pitino. The hire Rick talk is entirely restricted to a few posters here. They thankfully have no real part in the decision making.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, good, now you remember me. So you can stop pretending like you don't.

And if you want to be a little more mature, stop the hysterical bs every post. I'm not sure that you noticed, but it only takes about 2-3 well placed sentences to successfully snark someone, not 7-10 paragraphs of rambling nonsense.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:

I don't think the people that don't want Pitino hired have anything to worry about. Thorr and Presdient Doooley are sane and rational people. There is ZERO chance URI hires Pitino. The hire Rick talk is entirely restricted to a few posters here. They thankfully have no real part in the decision making.
If you think Thorr hasn't thought about Pitino then you are deluding yourself, that's not to say he hasn't thought of him and crossed him off his list, but I'm sure he came to mind.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Call Jay Larranaga and Thad Matta. If they don't want the gig I am comfortable with David Cox as HC moving forward.
0 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

giovanni wrote:
Pitino? Yes anyone would be foolish to say the guy can't coach and would probably be the only guy out there would be close to 100% to maintain and probably grow the program on the court. But of course there is his long history of problems and ethics. Doe URI want to go that route? We are almost 100% in the thought that we are very proud of not only the results on the court, but also the quality and character of kids Dan has brought in. Would you sacrifice that? I don't know.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Gonebarongone wrote:if not for this 2018 class, this board would be going nuts if there was a lack of national search and just handing it to Cox (not saying that is what is happening here)
But we should scour the country to find out.
I am genuinely curious about what you think this means. Do you think there are excellent candidates out there of whose existence Thorr is not already aware?
2 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Full disclosure: I'm all in on hiring Dave Cox. TP, Blue Man and a few others have echoed my reasoning so no reason to get into it there. As far as the concerns in hiring a first time coach, I get it. The Jerry D scars seem to cut very deep with a lot of you.

But once the stumping for Pitino gets involved with the discussion, it's hard to take anything else that you say seriously. Hiring Pitino would signal a desperate hire for a desperate program. That is no longer Rhode Island.
7 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The best searches usually had people pop up that the AD wouldn't have been aware of on Day #1.

That's why, if he wants to take a month... Dave Cox is going no where in the meantime. He's going to leave? He could make a giant payday here. What's the rush?

You never know who is going to come available after the NCAAT is over.

Oh, I'm soo sorry, was that "ridiculous and uninformed"?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

A couple of paragraphs in this link stick out for me:

https://www.yurview.com/all-ball/uri-ra ... david-cox/:

"He's a tactician – Cox served as an interim head coach while at Rutgers and is well rounded. In game situations, Hurley frequently bent Cox’s ear and relied upon the latter for in-game strategy. He was also responsible for opponent scouts. Less well known are Cox’s significant practice and player development contributions. He charted out many practices in terms of areas of emphasis, drills, cadence and flow. Cox also implemented actions and schemes on both sides of the ball. For example, he conceived, installed and taught the zone defenses that were occasionally mixed in — since it’s well known that Hurley was a man-to-man zealot."

"There’s utility to the continuity a guy like David Cox offers in this situation. Extension of the existing culture, familiarity with player development progress and goals, and relationships with current players and incoming recruits are all useful.

But, in my opinion, it’s a disservice to Cox for people to lead with this point in describing his candidacy. Candidate Cox hopes to establish that he’s the best fit to lead the program first… and also an individual that can continue to promote that continuity. History has often proven – at URI and other programs – that elevating a coach simply to mitigate risk of player attrition doesn’t always work out. But Cox isn’t the only one named right now simply because he can “keep the kids around”. He’s a sound basketball mind ranked among the top assistant coaches in the country. It’s an important distinction."
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:The best searches usually had people pop up that the AD wouldn't have been aware of on Day #1.

That's why, if he wants to take a month... Dave Cox is going no where in the meantime. He's going to leave? He could make a giant payday here. What's the rush?

Yes
3 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

sf2010 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:if not for this 2018 class, this board would be going nuts if there was a lack of national search and just handing it to Cox (not saying that is what is happening here)
I am genuinely curious about what you think this means. Do you think there are excellent candidates out there of whose existence Thorr is not already aware?
No...I am talking about this board not Thorr. I am sure he started with 50+ names and talked with his advisory folks about whittling it down. I don't doubt his process will be legit and will be disheartened if it is not really a full search. I am saying that this board cares too much about the 2018 class. If the 2018 class was like 2017, people would be screaming for big name interviews.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

TruePoint wrote:Yes
Please. There is NO rush whatsoever here, let the AD do his job.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

jcru wrote:The best searches usually had people pop up that the AD wouldn't have been aware of on Day #1.

Not ridiculous and uninformed, but I just don't see it. Maybe some people "popped up" that the fans were unaware of, but the AD isn't doing his job if he's not thinking about succession plans well before the incumbent coach leaves. What "best searches" are you referring to?

As far as waiting a month - you don't think the current players / incoming recruits would start to get a little antsy (not to mention what would happen to this board - sweet baby Jesus) if this process were unresolved in a month??!
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

steviep123 wrote:Almost every existing coach was once an assistant.

About Matta, didn't he turn down Georgia because of health issues?
Yes, Matta also turned down overtures to Ole Miss. He is said to have very bad back problems. But, I also understand or heard, he is not ruling out coaching and would like to coach again. Another guy who has coached at a very high level.

When he was let go at Ohio St, it was partly due to lack of success, but I believe that many boosters felt he couldn't or wasn't recruiting at the level that Ohio St should and keeping local kids home. I had a friend that is an Ohio St grad and follows program closely who told me that many of the Ohio St fans used to joke that Matta was too clean and honest and was the reason he had some issues recruiting and that many wanted him to take a more unethical approach. I have no idea, didn't follow situation and obviously not close to the program, but I always found that comment humorous and sad by the same token, if it held any validity.
1 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

giovanni wrote: Pitino? Yes anyone would be foolish to say the guy can't coach and would probably be the only guy out there would be close to 100% to maintain and probably grow the program on the court. But of course there is his long history of problems and ethics. Doe URI want to go that route? We are almost 100% in the thought that we are very proud of not only the results on the court, but also the quality and character of kids Dan has brought in. Would you sacrifice that? I don't know.
Awesome summary of the discussion right here ^

In the end I'm in agreement that Cox is the man for the job. But it is a fact that Pitino is an intriguing option and it's ridiculous to think Thorr hasn't given him any thought or that there is a 0% chance of his hiring.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

mstyles22 wrote:Hiring Pitino would signal a desperate hire for a desperate program. That is no longer Rhode Island.
I get this and it would be a big con on the list of pro's and con's. But it can not be denied that slick would put a buzz around the program that could indeed be capitalized on with the right moves. Maybe he's in a space where he wants to prove again that he can win anywhere on any budget. Those of you (not you styles) that call him slimy etc. act like he did something bad to your families. At this point, unless slick abused people or animals then its all just business. Read your latest NCAA scandal news and the who's who of those lists.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Gonebarongone wrote:
sf2010 wrote:
No...I am talking about this board not Thorr. I am sure he started with 50+ names and talked with his advisory folks about whittling it down. I don't doubt his process will be legit and will be disheartened if it is not really a full search. I am saying that this board cares too much about the 2018 class. If the 2018 class was like 2017, people would be screaming for big name interviews.
The program is the players and the coaches. The buildings, infrastructure, accouturements are nice - but without the right coach and players it amounts to nothing. To discount the value of retaining Cyril, Jeff and Fatts, plus arguably the best recruiting class in the history of the program is foolish. I do not think Cox is necessarily the ONLY person that could do that, but he certainly gives you a better shot than almost anyone else.
2 x