2018 NCAA Tournament Talk

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2018 NCAA Tournament Talk

Unread post by ramster »

Quick Trivia Question to get your mind off of Hurley

Who Coached Basketball at the University of Rhode Island and at Loyola of Chicago University?

No googling for the answer - must answer in 5 seconds or less
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Larry Farmer
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Loving LCHI getting it done. Can't believe the assclown commentators still pulling for kstate. LMAO
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Wait, so you can strive to make the Final Four from a non power conference? Asking for a friend.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Loyola is a great story and fun team to cheer on. It is teams such as them that make the NCAA Tournament so special. I hope the power conference schools do not get their way and ruin the event.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Could have been us. Should have been us. This is why you have to have the goal to be in the tournament every year. You never know when the matchups/draw will end up in your favor, or when the path will be opened up in front of you.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

brady1 wrote:Larry Farmer
Right Brady
Larry Farmer was on Jim Harrick's Staff
He moved on to become the Head Coach at Loyola Chicago

Larry was an excellent player for UCLA
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Last year we had a golden opportunity with the matchups to possibly get to the FF, but Hassan got hurt.

This year we had very little opportunity to get there. Too small with not enough of a frontcourt.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

They just mentioned that Terance Mann’s mother is head coach of our women’s team. I completely forgot about that. Also how good would we be with him?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote:They just mentioned that Terance Mann’s mother is head coach of our women’s team. I completely forgot about that. Also how good would we be with him?
LOL...I'm an FSU fan and watch them quite a bit...they usually mention that 2-3x per game.
He wouldn't be a bad one to have on the team, that's fer sure....
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I didn't know Bunny Colvin was coaching Florida State. I need FSU to schedule PC so we can get the Bunny Colvin vs Bunk Moreland game.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

TruePoint wrote:I didn't know Bunny Colvin was coaching Florida State. I need FSU to schedule PC so we can get the Bunny Colvin vs Bunk Moreland game.
Would be fitting...considering the PC campus looks like it is in the middle of Hamsterdam.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Kinda strange, but FSU looks gassed....
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

just about the worst last 30 seconds ever...
they gave up with 10 seconds?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

pttthhhhh........
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bunny Colvin seemed confused and offended by the suggestion that his team foul and not give up down 4 with 11 seconds to go. Uhhhh what?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That was....dumb
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Congrats to aLoyola whatva story indeed

That can be URI some day it's possible!!
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

TruePoint wrote:Bunny Colvin seemed confused and offended by the suggestion that his team foul and not give up down 4 with 11 seconds to go. Uhhhh what?

Maybe he is a firm believer that good teams win but great teams cover and he wants his team to be great?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Bunny Colvin seemed confused and offended by the suggestion that his team foul and not give up down 4 with 11 seconds to go. Uhhhh what?

Maybe he is a firm believer that good teams win but great teams cover and he wants his team to be great?
Or...maybe he thought that lady from the Pizza Pie Tops commercial had called timeout? I mean, looks like she already fooled him once...
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hey weren't we supposed to be featured in some kind of behind the scenes thing in the tournament?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Did Nance just yell out "That's it! Get the ball in to Bagley!"
Yikes....
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

PeterRamTime wrote:Hey weren't we supposed to be featured in some kind of behind the scenes thing in the tournament?
Behind the scenes? Uconn?

This Duke Kansas game feels like a national title game.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Duke makes me sick. Coach Kmart needs to use a better brand of hair dye.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Free basketball!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Amazing what happens when you attack that Duke zone at the FT line. Instead of 100 high screens.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Gonebarongone wrote:Amazing what happens when you attack that Duke zone at the FT line. Instead of 100 high screens.
Agreed, but I don't think we had the roster to do it. KI was the guy to do it. We'd probably would have had to play Akele extended minutes for that.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

steviep123 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:Amazing what happens when you attack that Duke zone at the FT line. Instead of 100 high screens.
Agreed, but I don't think we had the roster to do it. KI was the guy to do it. We'd probably would have had to play Akele extended minutes for that.
Said it at the time. Think Dowtin would have been able to.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

6 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Anytime Duke loses in the NCAA tourney, it's a sunny day.

Great video...funny.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Being one of the best teams in the country helps to.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The real question is how do we get Bagley III on the C's
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe with Tate we can do that. Attack zones that is.

Love to see what we can do with a balanced roster. On offense and defense.

Watching the Kansas-Duke game was unusual.

The good news was, someone had to lose.

The bad news was, someone had to win.

Still, Kansas imo was the better of the 2 evils. Loyola against Villanova for the ball of wax. Villanova gets it.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The only plan we had for staying with Duke was shoot lights out from 3.

One shot and swish. After tossing the ball around the top of the zone 4 times, looked like a poorly spread out version of Hoosiers. No ball rotation to the corners, no probing the baseline - zip.

Unfortunately it was one shot and clank.

Meaning no plan......

How many times we gonna pass?

Four! (coulda used him I guess)
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Having your own 7 footers helps too!!
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Can't attack their zone without a big guy who can pass stationed at the FT line....we didn't have that.

So we stood around and went 1 on 1 late in the shot clock...and made no adjustments.

Would have lost to Syracuse too. And any other good team with any size that could play a zone.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:Can't attack their zone without a big guy who can pass stationed at the FT line....we didn't have that.

So we stood around and went 1 on 1 late in the shot clock...and made no adjustments.

Would have lost to Syracuse too. And any other good team with any size that could play a zone.
Doesn't have to be a big. Jerome Robinson killed Cuse for BC running through the middle of that zone. Dowtin is long enough and smart enough and can make that 15 footer. We actually did it towards the end. Dowtin took a pass at the FT line and hit Fatts for a wide open three when the defense collapsed.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A little late I guess.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Gonebarongone wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Can't attack their zone without a big guy who can pass stationed at the FT line....we didn't have that.

Doesn't have to be a big. Jerome Robinson killed Cuse for BC running through the middle of that zone. Dowtin is long enough and smart enough and can make that 15 footer. We actually did it towards the end. Dowtin took a pass at the FT line and hit Fatts for a wide open three when the defense collapsed.
And we tried to do it in Duke game. Dowtin and JT caught at foul line early, hit Berry for a dump down, he fumbled out of bounds. Then we did it again and he rushed his shot and missed a bunny. Then we missed a couple shots...then we were down 20. We also tried to run guys on baseline for lobs at beginning of game, but instead of being able to throw it up to Azebuike we had 6'3 guards and a 6'10 monster standing in front of the rim. I remember Terrell and EC both running baseline (which is open area in this Duke 4-1 zone) and not being able to do much when they caught it. You may be able to blame DH for a few things these last couple weeks, but our game strategy vs Duke wouldn't be 1 of them.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

And we tried to do it in Duke game. Dowtin and JT caught at foul line early, hit Berry for a dump down, he fumbled out of bounds. Then we did it again and he rushed his shot and missed a bunny. Then we missed a couple shots...then we were down 20. We also tried to run guys on baseline for lobs at beginning of game, but instead of being able to throw it up to Azebuike we had 6'3 guards and a 6'10 monster standing in front of the rim. I remember Terrell and EC both running baseline (which is open area in this Duke 4-1 zone) and not being able to do much when they caught it. You may be able to blame DH for a few things these last couple weeks, but our game strategy vs Duke wouldn't be 1 of them.
You know what? You're right. 6 ACC loss, elite 8 Duke was too tough to beat. And God forbid we stayed within 700 points.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How about that great shot Allen took at the end of regulation--a left handed (he is right handed) runner from about 10 feet. No time out taken by the great coach K resulted in this God awful shot. Anyone else think getting the ball down low would have been a better option? Allen tried "hero ball" and failed miserably. The genius coach K also failed with his strategy--or lack thereof. You are not always going to make a shot at the buzzer but missing a decent shot is better than what Allen tried to do. He had the ball is his hands and dribbled until the final shot.

This is the same Grayson Allen who was "indefinitely" suspended by the great coach K for one of his tripping incidents. The suspension lasted all of one game--what a penalty. Way to end your career........
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree with all of that...and not really a fan...but I actually think Allen will have a decent pro career...
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

coach K has won something like 12-15 Elite Eight games. Only lost to 3 coaches. Self, Izzo, and Pitino. Pitino has beaten Coach K twice in the Elite Eight with two different schools. And the only guy to take 3 schools to the Final Four.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

eli#10 wrote:How about that great shot Allen took at the end of regulation--a left handed (he is right handed) runner from about 10 feet. No time out taken by the great coach K resulted in this God awful shot. Anyone else think getting the ball down low would have been a better option? Allen tried "hero ball" and failed miserably. The genius coach K also failed with his strategy--or lack thereof. You are not always going to make a shot at the buzzer but missing a decent shot is better than what Allen tried to do. He had the ball is his hands and dribbled until the final shot.

This is the same Grayson Allen who was "indefinitely" suspended by the great coach K for one of his tripping incidents. The suspension lasted all of one game--what a penalty. Way to end your career........
I actually prefer not calling a timeout there. Hate over managing the game. But, it was criminal not to at least dump it into Bagley. They had Mykhailuk (sp?) on him all game and were doubling every post entry. Can't imagine he is not getting a better shot or at least passing out for an open jumper. Self owned K in this game. They are talented but not as talented as Duke. Coaching matters.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The thing that sucks the most watching this weekend's games, is that if Xavier and Duke were swapped as seeds (they should have been), it would've been us and Kansas (presuming we had a good shooting night against Cuse's zone).

Duke deserved to be a 1 and should've been playing Michigan for a final four spot.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Allen ended his career with 2 awful games as he went 5 for 23 on 3's and 7 for 28 overall. Could not have happened to a better guy/sport. Coach / God K got what he deserved with such a hot shooter taking the final shot although he was only 0 for 1 on running left handed shots from 10 feet.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:The thing that sucks the most watching this weekend's games, is that if Xavier and Duke were swapped as seeds (they should have been), it would've been us and Kansas (presuming we had a good shooting night against Cuse's zone).

Duke deserved to be a 1 and should've been playing Michigan for a final four spot.
This is a lot of absurdity packed into a short post. Duke lost six league games and didn't win the conference tournament title (didn't even make finals). They didn't earn a #1 seed in any form or fashion. And Cuse would have murdered us if master tactician Cox tried the same exact scheme against the Cuse zone. We would have all of a sudden looked good against the same defense (top 5 in the country by the way)? I am still so p*ssed about how we played that zone and even more pissed by the general "oh well...they were just too good to beat" theme. Makes me sick.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Blue Man wrote:The thing that sucks the most watching this weekend's games, is that if Xavier and Duke were swapped as seeds (they should have been), it would've been us and Kansas (presuming we had a good shooting night against Cuse's zone).

This is a lot of absurdity packed into a short post. Duke lost six league games and didn't win the conference tournament title (didn't even make finals). They didn't earn a #1 seed in any form or fashion. And Cuse would have murdered us if master tactician Cox tried the same exact scheme against the Cuse zone. We would have all of a sudden looked good against the same defense (top 5 in the country by the way)? I am still so p*ssed about how we played that zone and even more pissed by the general "oh well...they were just too good to beat" theme. Makes me sick.
Duke was the 2nd 2 seed. Xavier the last 1 seed. That's not that big of a stretch to think they could've been swapped.

To beat a zone you need to have a good shooting night. We shot below 40%. We missed open looks left, right and center. We missed open layups. I don't understand what's so absurd about that.

The larger point is that it's all about draws and luck when it comes to tournament time. Are you going to tell me Loyola Chicago is the 4th best team in the country? They're not. They got matchups that gave them a chance with their style of play. They've also been on fire shooting-wise.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I mean, Grayson Allen is one of the most annoying / shitty people in CBB and I am super glad that Duke lost...but watch the video. Not a terrible look given the circumstances. https://t.co/NxLqC3465s

The shot was most definitely not left-handed and damn near went in. Some people here talk like it's the easiest thing in the world to draw up / execute a perfect play to convert on a final possession.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Gonebarongone wrote: This is a lot of absurdity packed into a short post. Duke lost six league games and didn't win the conference tournament title (didn't even make finals). They didn't earn a #1 seed in any form or fashion. And Cuse would have murdered us if master tactician Cox tried the same exact scheme against the Cuse zone. We would have all of a sudden looked good against the same defense (top 5 in the country by the way)? I am still so p*ssed about how we played that zone and even more pissed by the general "oh well...they were just too good to beat" theme. Makes me sick.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Turns out we've been promoting the wrong internal candidate for the HC job. Forget Cox, it should be GBG! The lack-of-experience argument people are using with Cox won't hold water against GBG - he's coached CYO!
1 x