The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote:woof. That's 2 mil if we hire Oats if both numbers are accurate.

Yeah times have changed but maybe not that much.
You have to be kidding me. We just offered Dan what Cooley makes. We are breaking ground on a practice facility. Hell, have you seen the Engineering Building being built on campus???? Like a $120 million dollar building. Yeah, we may have had fun in the pub in the Union, but this University under Dr Dooley is amazing. He is an amazing President.
7 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Iggy1979 wrote:I give up my season tickets if it's Pitino

He's like the Wolf of Wall Street when it comes to college basketball coaches. I'm sure he'd frequent the venues of Allen's Ave.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Taylor Swift wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:I give up my season tickets if it's Pitino

He's like the Wolf of Wall Street when it comes to college basketball coaches. I'm sure he'd frequent the venues of Allen's Ave.
Pitino is intriguing. I’d bet big money he’ll be coaching another final four game before Danny Hurley. If Thorr and Dooley vetted him I’d be all in.

Great to see a lot of Rhody fans opening up to maybe we could hit a home run here on this hire and that home run dosen’t have to be Little Ricky.

GO RHODY!
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Doing a real national search would show me that Thor is not doing his job unless it was just for show. Thor has had to be preparing for this for a few years and has his list. It is a matter of seeing who on the list is interested and deciding who in order to go after. Maybe someone he hadn't considered will appear. Remember if Cox was that hot, he would have been recruited by now.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody72 wrote:Doing a real national search would show me that Thor is not doing his job unless it was just for show. Thor has had to be preparing for this for a few years and has his list. It is a matter of seeing who on the list is interested and deciding who in order to go after. Maybe someone he hadn't considered will appear. Remember if Cox was that hot, he would have been recruited by now.
Thorr is REQUIRED to do what he is doing, has nothing to do with Cox being “hot” or not. No assistant coach is really HOT until they are in the seat....
Last edited by DC_Rams 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by brady1 »

RF1 wrote:
RamIt! wrote:Cooley talking up Cox...

I could care less what Ed Cooley thinks.
WOW, that makes me feel uneasy slick Eddie is going to feel some heat if URI wins 3 big dance games in row without tiny pc winning one and he’s picking our coach. OK?

Calhoun recommended Gerry duh when we were last at high heights as in elite eight one yr and a10 tourney champs the next. His way of helping us back to the shit pen competition wise. If I remember right dr nitwit actually sited this as a reason he hired duh.

I still think we should offer the basterd Calhoun $1.25 mil to coach here the egotistical bitch would probably take it and those nitwits at the boneyard would be offering to give Danny back plus $1.75mil for an even trade to have Calhoun back.

GO RHODY!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
RF1 wrote:I have read that Oats may have a buyout of about 1M. URI would never pay that. Only a power conference team could afford such a buyout amount.
Your old ways just don't apply anymore. We just offered Dan $2 milion a year. For 7 years. $1 million is probably what we have as a Cox payout on not making him a head coach. Times have changed.
I thought I heard or read the buyout was six figures.
But we just got $1.25 million for Hurley leaving us. Doesn't that immediately cover the $1million we would need for Oats and have $250,000 leftover?

What am I missing?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

brady1 wrote:
RF1 wrote:
RamIt! wrote:Cooley talking up Cox...

WOW, that makes me feel uneasy slick Eddie is going to feel some heat if URI wins 3 big dance games in row without tiny pc winning one and he’s picking our coach. OK?

Calhoun recommended Gerry duh when we were last at high heights as in elite eight one yr and a10 tourney champs the next. His way of helping us back to the shit pen competition wise. If I remember right dr nitwit actually sited this as a reason he hired duh.

I still think we should offer the basterd Calhoun $1.25 mil to coach here the egotistical bitch would probably take it and those nitwits at the boneyard would be offering to give Danny back plus $1.75mil for an even trade to have Calhoun back.

GO RHODY!

Cooley with 1 NCAA Game won in 5 NCAA Tournaments. and that one win was a gift by USC

Whatever this guy says I would do the opposite. Remember a year ago in Jim Baron 2.0 when everyone was worshiping Ed and wishing Hurley was as good as him? Please. He should stay out of URI's business
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Again - Cooley did not comment on our coaching search. YurView has their information wrong. Finkelstein, who interviewed Cooley ABOUT PC earlier in the podcast, it the one who made all of the comments about Hurley, Cox, and URI. Cooley did NOT talk about URI
4 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rumor has it that Todd Bozeman called.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Obie know your joking but anyone know what Todd’s doing?

GO RHODY!
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

sf2010 wrote:Again - Cooley did not comment on our coaching search. YurView has their information wrong. Finkelstein, who interviewed Cooley ABOUT PC earlier in the podcast, it the one who made all of the comments about Hurley, Cox, and URI. Cooley did NOT talk about URI
Feel better already.

GO RHODY!
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Im feeling way more impatient than I feel is reasonable, but I hope this is resolved before to long. or at the very least we hear something in regards to the candidates...
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Todd has actually been the head coach at Morgan State for 12 yrs. As Dr Nitwit once said everyone deserves a second chance.

GO RHODY!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:woof. That's 2 mil if we hire Oats if both numbers are accurate.

Yeah times have changed but maybe not that much.
You have to be kidding me. We just offered Dan what Cooley makes. We are breaking ground on a practice facility. Hell, have you seen the Engineering Building being built on campus???? Like a $120 million dollar building. Yeah, we may have had fun in the pub in the Union, but this University under Dr Dooley is amazing. He is an amazing President.
$150 million for the Engineering Building but who's counting
Plus they finished in 2016 a $68 million Chemistry Building

http://wpri.com/2018/01/26/uri-marks-mi ... g-project/
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rumor has it, no one cares about Todd Bozeman.
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

URI alumni made some mistakes Head Coach 12yrs didn’t mean deserves 2nd chance to coach at URI. Meant he got second chance doing well. Happy for him. I didn’t bring him up Obie did. The wonders of google.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote:Rumor has it, no one cares about Todd Bozeman.
Right...except, there are no rumors....
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think anyone who hasn't been on campus in the the last 10 -15 years needs to go back and take a look. The transformation under Dooley has been amazing. I won't even describe the details of all the new buildings and upgrades. Just go and see for yourself. The whoa is me URI doesn't exist anymore. This is a world class University and if you step on campus you will see it for yourself.
6 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote:
brady1 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

GO RHODY!

Cooley with 1 NCAA Game won in 5 NCAA Tournaments. and that one win was a gift by USC

Whatever this guy says I would do the opposite. Remember a year ago in Jim Baron 2.0 when everyone was worshiping Ed and wishing Hurley was as good as him? Please. He should stay out of URI's business
The original Yurview tweet is misleading - Cooley did NOT say this. Cooley was on the first part of the podcast being interviewed by Finklestein. After Cooley's part was over, Finklestein said they should go with Cox.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

nm
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Oats vs Cox.

Cox bonus if he isn’t the next HC is more in the $250,000-350,000 range.
Oats just signed a 5 year extension in the last few months that includes a $1 millin buyout.
I think everyone is comfortable that Tate and Martin are staying based on their tweets.
I don’t how you can predict that either Harris or Adams would stay if Oates was the coach.
Neither have made a comment and Harris’ coach said they are waiting to see who the coach is.

They each carry uncertainty.
We don’t know how Cox will do as the HC.
We don’t know how Oates will do recruiting and coaching at a higher level.
We also don’t know how Oats would do in a rebuild (if we lost players/recruits). He took over a program in good shape from Bobby.

Btw, we are complementing Oats for his HC experience. His first college HC job. He was promoted from Ast at Buffalo when Bobby left.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah if given choice between Cox and Oats I am going Cox all day long

Cox is continuity meaning all returnees are back and out top 30 recruiting class intact
3 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

ramster wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Your old ways just don't apply anymore. We just offered Dan $2 milion a year. For 7 years. $1 million is probably what we have as a Cox payout on not making him a head coach. Times have changed.
I thought I heard or read the buyout was six figures.
But we just got $1.25 million for Hurley leaving us. Doesn't that immediately cover the $1million we would need for Oats and have $250,000 leftover?

What am I missing?
That means we get to use that as the initial down payment for the practice facility.
3 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Koch about to come on WEEI 103.7 to discuss the current state of affairs at URI
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I don't really know what the buyout is for Cox, not sure where I got that $1 million from. Too much Friday night I guess. :D
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

So if Schmidt is Pitts 1st choice would he come here 1.25 he’s from Attleboro. Pitts a career killer.

How’s Jimmy Christian like BC would he coach his alma mater for 1.25 it be awesome to stick BC, wanted the job last time around.

Other’s Leon Rice, Nick McDevitt, Joe Dooley, Dan Majerle, Scott Padgett, Earl Grant

If Thorr decides the assistant route Coach Cox is the man.

Possible new Rhody assistants Bob Walsh Tim Coen

GO RHODY!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm going to give a controversial take here.

I think keeping the roster and recruiting classes intact should matter in deciding who the next coach is. I know it has become conventional wisdom here that keeping the players should have no impact on the decision of who to hire. I disagree. It shouldn't be the only thing considered, but it should be a factor.

We will agree that you cannot hire an incompetent, unqualified moron as the coach so that you can keep players, never mind one player. But this is a completely different scenario than hiring Jerry D in a harebrained attempt to convince Lamar Odom to not be a lottery pick.

The most important part of a program in terms of winning games is not practice facilities, charter flights, video rooms, locker rooms, or even the head coach. It is players. Who is on the team is important. A decent coach with good players will beat a good coach with decent players.

I will also concede that keeping players shouldn't always factor into the decision. Each situation should be evaluated independently. If the assistant that could keep the players and the recruits weren't ready to be a head coach, then forget it. Non-starter. If the players and the recruits aren't good enough that they could contend for a league championship in the next year or two, I also would be less inclined to factor in the ability to retain players into my decision.

But the reality is that Cox is ready to be a head coach and that opportunity is likely to come for him soon, whether it is here or somewhere else, and the players we are talking about are underclassmen who are all-league potential players who have the chance to be the winningest players ever to play here, and a recruiting class that is possibly the best the school has ever had. I think those players are worth trying to keep in the boat.

This isn't just about next year. This is about program stability and continuing the process that started 5 years ago rather than hitting the reset button and starting over from scratch. I think the program has made too much progress on and off the court to blow it up and start over now when there is a totally viable option to keep it going.

If we thought that Cox was not qualified to be the coach or wouldn't be able to take this job on as his first, then we'd have no choice but to go outside the program and hire someone to restart the program. It would be a rebuild. But fortunately we don't have that problem. Cox is qualified to get his shot. Everyone that has been around him raves about him as a coach and leader. Hurley, who built this version of the program and is invested its continued success clearly wants Cox to take it over (you might say who cares what Hurley wants, he is in Connecticut, but I value his basketball opinion and I also think he has too much pride to risk the future of what he's built here to make recommendation that he knows isn't right). The players are good enough that they are worth whatever risk is inherent in giving a guy his first job.

If you think that there is a coach available for this job that is dramatically better for it than Cox, then you should want that guy to get the job. I won't try to convince you otherwise. But if you think there are coaches that might be marginally more qualified or slightly preferable all things being equal, I think you should prefer Cox because of the potential to build on what we've done so far rather than try to recreate it. Keeping a very talented group of players together is a part of that. It is crazy to pretend that it isn't.
14 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I don't think Harrick would have ever named Jerry Assoc HC even if they worked together for 10 years...
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I will start off by saying that I don't want Rick Pitino anywhere near Kingston. But I am not the one hiring a coach. If Thorr's decision comes down to whether he wants Rick Pitino coaching the URI Rams or David Cox coaching the URI Rams, does he really have a choice?
2 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Great post TP but if a head coach has taken a team to the Dance or won a Dance game or two or three or the hole thing. I guess is that guy way better or marginally better. Not sure not my job. Danny and Cox are like brothers Danny’s at uconn. Not sure I’m picking a coach on what Dan thinks. I’ll be extremely excited if Thorr decides Cox is the man for the job.

One thing on Gerry duh it was assured that if duh was hired Lamar would stay. Think it was a couple weeks after the hire Lamar declared for the draft.

It’s important for everyone to remember we’re all on the the same team here and want the Best for URI.

Those f’ n men on that team now have won back to back NCAA tournament games and it’s important to get them another one or two or three...before they’re done here.

GO RHODY!
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I really feel like everyone here is saying the same thing - the next guy is Cox unless there is someone who is heads and shoulders more qualified. I like Oats but I don’t know if his three year run makes him that far above Cox, maybe it does.

People are dismissing Pitino, but on a coach level that is a guy who is heads and shoulders above Cox. Pretty sure most guys would stay on for a chance to be coached by a legend (even if he is a little tarnished of late - although I don’t consider recruiting violations a huge deal at the highest level of NCAA, I think tha is more par for the course and Pitino is just closer to the fire than other guys).
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bos8 wrote:Koch about to come on WEEI 103.7 to discuss the current state of affairs at URI
Any feedback?
0 x
GO RAMS
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

A past final four type coach if they are out there for us probably not only keeps the roster intact but brings in a four or five star grad transfer for next year.

GO RHODY!
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

There was nothing new on the interview...it was as if they just rehashed the conversation on this board...

Ohh, Koch said he didn't see Hurely emerging from the last coaching search when it started but the all knowing Cordischi said he knew Hurley was the guy all along...But he didn't seem to know who we would hire this time...he must have lost his powers along the way...
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:I'm going to give a controversial take here.

I think keeping the roster and recruiting classes intact should matter in deciding who the next coach is. I know it has become conventional wisdom here that keeping the players should have no impact on the decision of who to hire. I disagree. It shouldn't be the only thing considered, but it should be a factor.

We will agree that you cannot hire an incompetent, unqualified moron as the coach so that you can keep players, never mind one player. But this is a completely different scenario than hiring Jerry D in a harebrained attempt to convince Lamar Odom to not be a lottery pick.

The most important part of a program in terms of winning games is not practice facilities, charter flights, video rooms, locker rooms, or even the head coach. It is players. Who is on the team is important. A decent coach with good players will beat a good coach with decent players.

I will also concede that keeping players shouldn't always factor into the decision. Each situation should be evaluated independently. If the assistant that could keep the players and the recruits weren't ready to be a head coach, then forget it. Non-starter. If the players and the recruits aren't good enough that they could contend for a league championship in the next year or two, I also would be less inclined to factor in the ability to retain players into my decision.

But the reality is that Cox is ready to be a head coach and that opportunity is likely to come for him soon, whether it is here or somewhere else, and the players we are talking about are underclassmen who are all-league potential players who have the chance to be the winningest players ever to play here, and a recruiting class that is possibly the best the school has ever had. I think those players are worth trying to keep in the boat.

This isn't just about next year. This is about program stability and continuing the process that started 5 years ago rather than hitting the reset button and starting over from scratch. I think the program has made too much progress on and off the court to blow it up and start over now when there is a totally viable option to keep it going.

If we thought that Cox was not qualified to be the coach or wouldn't be able to take this job on as his first, then we'd have no choice but to go outside the program and hire someone to restart the program. It would be a rebuild. But fortunately we don't have that problem. Cox is qualified to get his shot. Everyone that has been around him raves about him as a coach and leader. Hurley, who built this version of the program and is invested its continued success clearly wants Cox to take it over (you might say who cares what Hurley wants, he is in Connecticut, but I value his basketball opinion and I also think he has too much pride to risk the future of what he's built here to make recommendation that he knows isn't right). The players are good enough that they are worth whatever risk is inherent in giving a guy his first job.

If you think that there is a coach available for this job that is dramatically better for it than Cox, then you should want that guy to get the job. I won't try to convince you otherwise. But if you think there are coaches that might be marginally more qualified or slightly preferable all things being equal, I think you should prefer Cox because of the potential to build on what we've done so far rather than try to recreate it. Keeping a very talented group of players together is a part of that. It is crazy to pretend that it isn't.
BRA-FRICKING-VO!
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RIFan wrote:There was nothing new on the interview...it was as if they just rehashed the conversation on this board...
The hosts sounded as though they were against hiring an assistant for some of the dumbest reasons I’ve ever heard.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:I will start off by saying that I don't want Rick Pitino anywhere near Kingston. But I am not the one hiring a coach. If Thorr's decision comes down to whether he wants Rick Pitino coaching the URI Rams or David Cox coaching the URI Rams, does he really have a choice?
Yes. David Cox. Stop talking about Pitino. Not under consideration at all.
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

"The hosts sounded as though they were against hiring an assistant for some of the dumbest reasons I’ve ever heard."

it's the Jerry D factor...
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

Pitino is the best coach of the candidates (ones brought up here anyway), would bring in high level recruits, and would bring more us lots of success over the next couple of years.

But don’t think anyone would argue he is of questionable character. He it would be a mercenary hiring and would bring with it questioning of our university brand and culture that Hurley and the administration have touted.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Just bc our last coach sold out doesn’t mean we should. No to Slick Rick regardless of his career record and championships.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

TruePoint wrote:I'm going to give a controversial take here.

Yes to this agree 100%
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

sandman012 wrote:Pitino is the best coach of the candidates (ones brought up here anyway), would bring in high level recruits, and would bring more us lots of success over the next couple of years.

But don’t think anyone would argue he is of questionable character. He it would be a mercenary hiring and would bring with it questioning of our university brand and culture that Hurley and the administration have touted.
Agreed but how go you quantify our 1st game against say UNH being sold out. Does a guy like little Rickey decide i’ll jump after a year or my last gig is to take RHODE ISLAND to two final fours. I’m sure you could get him to agree to some insane buyout if he left.

GO RHODY!
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

bigappleram wrote:Just bc our last coach sold out doesn’t mean we should. No to Slick Rick regardless of his career record and championships.
Agree with this also. Has someone who got to know Rick a little when he was here at PC and unquestionably got sold on the guy at the time as an outstanding basketball coach, we don't need someone with his past troubles and character issues . Whether or not anyone is bitter at Dan for leaving, one thing I think we can all agree on is that he took this program to great levels on the court, but maybe more so off the court, recruiting great character kids and students as well. Thanks to Dan's work here, this program is no longer in a bad or desperate situation where you would be more apt to take a huge risk. The program is in a great position, better than it has ever been, lets keep the ball rolling and please do not throw away what Hurley did to bring respect to the program in every manner.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I will start off by saying that I don't want Rick Pitino anywhere near Kingston. But I am not the one hiring a coach. If Thorr's decision comes down to whether he wants Rick Pitino coaching the URI Rams or David Cox coaching the URI Rams, does he really have a choice?
Yes. David Cox. Stop talking about Pitino. Not under consideration at all.
I said I didn't want him...sheesh.
0 x
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

I’m team Cox.

Oats probably isn’t leaving until a P5/big program job opens up.

Earl Grant is an awesome coach with a bright future, but the idea of losing players if we don’t pick Cox sounds bad to me. We need to keep momentum going, and the best way to do that is retain our best players.
1 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

How about Cox and starting with a 2-3 year contract? Is that feasible?
Here are some other names for interviews:

Dr. John Giannini-Ex LaSalle coach
Preston Murphy-ex Rhody playa,Creighton asst..
Roland Fiore-SKHS head coach,ex-Rhody playa
Bob Walsh-ex RIC/UMaine Coach
Glenn Miller/ex Brown HC
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hal Kopp wrote:How about Cox and starting with a 2-3 year contract? Is that feasible?
Here are some other names for interviews:

Dr. John Giannini-Ex LaSalle coach
Preston Murphy-ex Rhody playa,Creighton asst..
Roland Fiore-SKHS head coach,ex-Rhody playa
Bob Walsh-ex RIC/UMaine Coach
Glenn Miller/ex Brown HC
1. A 2 or 3 yr contract makes it impossible to recruit and Cox shouldn't take it anyway because he could get 5 years somewhere else.

2. I would consider the first two names on that list for associate head coach, the other three could apply for the DBO job, I guess.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

That’s a good list for assistants for sure. I also wonder if there’s anyone else local that Ty, Dave, or TJ have ties to...like a TJ Sorrentine at Brown or similar.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

If Cox gets the job would Skinner come back as an assistant senior statemen great connections in the area.

Or Slick Rick and classy Al together.

We can make this better than before.

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x