The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I believe it was his sister but my evidence is circumstantial.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

She was someone who knew a lot about basketball, maybe grew up in a basketball family...
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Not Andrea, maybe another coaches wife though?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I would prefer that we not turn this thread into a doxing of ace.
11 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody74 wrote:I believe it was his sister but my evidence is circumstantial.
Nah upon further investigation I don’t think it is. She is close to the Hurley family though.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:Something happened between our VCU road game and the last week of season. That is precisely when Ace, whom obviously is close to the family, changed her tune. I can distinctly remember on twitter, after we beat VCU down there in a game I went to, their fans were all over twitter with "good game Rhody, your coach is gonna leave" and Ace always replied with something to the effect of "I'd be more shocked if he wasn't the coach at URI next year, than if he was" and numerous other hints at Dan being at URI next season. Flash about 2 weeks later and the new posture was "sometimes fans opinion on a job is not the same as the coach's". In between that time Dan's agent, Tom Moore or someone else got to Dan that the Uconn job was his if he wanted it. And that's it for my investigative reports for tonight. Like Dan, I'm closing the book on this chapter. Onward and upward. Go Rhody!
Nothing happened, but this is why I started to get gunshy about posting anywhere, because it gets super over-analyzed. I’ve read what people have said about me but am not going to respond about it other than this and also to say that I am not related. I get that people don’t understand his feelings towards the UConn job. I have no interest at all in joining a UConn on-line community. This one was fun when I discovered it... it was a small but passionate group that was unique in loving Rhody and supporting and defending it. I’ve been so happy for you guys as things have turned around and the program has become successful again. You don’t follow something this closely and not become a fan. I’ve enjoyed learning about the history of the program and the notable players that have come through. I plan on seeing the Rams play in Philly next year (hope it goes back to two games) and will cheer them on.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
22 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Narr9999 wrote:Each day that passes my anger gets a little bit less, until I listen to him speak. Dan had us all fooled. I understand dream jobs and that you don't pass them up, but I keep hearing that UConn used to be on his list, but it disappeared awhile back, so come on Dan. When you talk about building a family and how it isn't about making every last dollar. The responsibility to your players and their development on the court and off the court. It was all just BS. If he went to Duke, UNC or a Kentucky type of team, I would hate it, but I would understand it, but not to UConn. You all have talked about the conference that they are in, which isn't much better than the A-10. UConn still has the NCAA investigating the recruiting issues, that could lead to the loss of scholarships and the NCAA doesn't care that a new coach is in charge and they don't like Jim "Cesspool" Calhoun. If they end up owning most of the money to their former coach they will get thru it, but Dan better not start asking for more money or improvements on campus. If they have some players leave they have to worry about getting a year suspension again. I am sure in time I will be happy looking back at this time period, but that is only if we don't end up losing players from the team and current recruits. If we lose players are we much better off than when Dan got here?
Dream job or not, you'd have to think DH would want to know the backdrop of what kind of 'trouble' they are in and... if it was bad enough to fire the coach, unless it was some kind of internal HR thing...you'd think there'd be NCAA repercussions = why would you want to go there? And, if not serious enough to warrant NCAA action, they're just dooshing Ollie...so, why would you want to go there? Only other option to me, seems like maybe UConn has some dirt/improprieties vs Ollie from a HR perspective that may not get them NCAA actions. Who knows, the whole thing is strange. And for strange, how 'bout DH...sweats, 3 day growth and in tears for yesterday, fresh shave and suit today...

===>
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I guess it's just a matter of wanting the UConn job for a long time.

He's willing to get through some trouble with the Ollie and NCAA situation, both of which will be resolved at some point not too long done the road, with minimal penalties from the NCAA imo.....

Next year they won't be very good but I expect they will get back on their feet soon....just that their conference, like ours, is an impediment to competing at the highest levels.

UConn will never approach the success they had under Calhoun and the old BE, unless they get in the ACC. And even then they go from the frying pan into the fire.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

ace wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Something happened between our VCU road game and the last week of season. That is precisely when Ace, whom obviously is close to the family, changed her tune. I can distinctly remember on twitter, after we beat VCU down there in a game I went to, their fans were all over twitter with "good game Rhody, your coach is gonna leave" and Ace always replied with something to the effect of "I'd be more shocked if he wasn't the coach at URI next year, than if he was" and numerous other hints at Dan being at URI next season. Flash about 2 weeks later and the new posture was "sometimes fans opinion on a job is not the same as the coach's". In between that time Dan's agent, Tom Moore or someone else got to Dan that the Uconn job was his if he wanted it. And that's it for my investigative reports for tonight. Like Dan, I'm closing the book on this chapter. Onward and upward. Go Rhody!
Nothing happened, but this is why I started to get gunshy about posting anywhere, because it gets super over-analyzed. I’ve read what people have said about me but am not going to respond about it other than this and also to say that I am not related. I get that people don’t understand his feelings towards the UConn job. I have no interest at all in joining a UConn on-line community. This one was fun when I discovered it... it was a small but passionate group that was unique in loving Rhody and supporting and defending it. I’ve been so happy for you guys as things have turned around and the program has become successful again. You don’t follow something this closely and not become a fan. I’ve enjoyed learning about the history of the program and the notable players that have come through. I plan on seeing the Rams play in Philly next year (hope it goes back to two games) and will cheer them on.
Regardless about how I currently feel about Dan and UConn (I'm sure over time I'll feel better about it, especially if we keep improving). I hope you stay a fan and keep contributing!
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I guess it's just a matter of wanting the UConn job for a long time.

He's willing to get through some trouble with the Ollie and NCAA situation, both of which will be resolved at some point not too long done the road, with minimal penalties from the NCAA imo.....

Next year they won't be very good but I expect they will get back on their feet soon....just that their conference, like ours, is an impediment to competing at the highest levels.

UConn will never approach the success they had under Calhoun and the old BE, unless they get in the ACC. And even then they go from the frying pan into the fire.
Actually...I think a move to the ACC would be a huge (YUGE) jumpstart for them... In that league, with all the shine on that league...I think they'd be able to get good in a hurry...quicker than they will in the AAC. JMO
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:I guess it's just a matter of wanting the UConn job for a long time.

Actually...I think a move to the ACC would be a huge (YUGE) jumpstart for them... In that league, with all the shine on that league...I think they'd be able to get good in a hurry...quicker than they will in the AAC. JMO
That ain't never happening. See BC.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Of course it would, 208....that's what they want, big time. Not looking good though.

There is a chance that UConn could end up back in the BE, but that would require downsizing their football program imo.

Although they are a public state school and the BE is private and Catholic basically.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think UConn is a different situation to BC... I'm not saying they'll ever get in there, but I think if they did, they'd be good (better than BC) quickly.
More recent championship history more name NBA players, that would probably be happy to help recruit...
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

RF1 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Opening at LaSalle

This bears watching. Replacement and salary could portend the future conference affiliation for the Explorers. School is very cash strapped. Its museum is selling off some of its most valuable works. Ongoing task force examining the athletic programs with best long term league membership being considered.

FWIW - LaSalle is also looking for a new women's coach as well. They chose not to renew the contract for Jeff Williams (92-149) after eight years at the helm. This was announced at the end of February.
Please please please this. With no replacements por favor! Somebody on here used the phrase "addition by subtraction" before and it's spot on. Dump LaSalle and then Fordham and it's a great start on making this conference more competitive in the RPI.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I think UConn is a different situation to BC... I'm not saying they'll ever get in there, but I think if they did, they'd be good (better than BC) quickly.
More recent championship history more name NBA players, that would probably be happy to help recruit...
You have to read up on the history of BC to the ACC and the lawsuit.I believe it was Uconn V Boston College.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I think UConn is a different situation to BC... I'm not saying they'll ever get in there, but I think if they did, they'd be good (better than BC) quickly.
You have to read up on the history of BC to the ACC and the lawsuit.I believe it was Uconn V Boston College.
Didn't UConn sue both the ACC and BE at different points? I don't see them ever getting in either one, but think if they did...they would get good soon.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Didn't UConn sue both the ACC and BE at different points? I don't see them ever getting in either one, but think if they did...they would get good soon.
So would we.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

LaSalle dumping their coach might be the precursor to dropping down to the MAAC.

If I'm a candidate for that job I would want to know what they are going to do.

I'm guessing we'll find out soon.

Please Fordham.....go with them...anywhere but the A10.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Does saying that I don't even care how it ends with Ollie, I just hope it drags on messy for a long time...make me an evil person? (I actually do care how it ends...if Ollie din do nuffin, I hope he gets paid)

Not from someone that hopes Ollie gets every last cent of the 10.75M that is owed him causing a financial shortfall for UConn that then results in cuts leading to its men's basketball team having to fly commercial instead of charter to league games in Tulsa, Wichita, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, Orlando, Tampa, and Greenville for the next few years.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think URI basically stated that we have the resources to compete. I doubt we will hear anymore that URI can't compete on salary. Hell, $2 million a year is basically a high for nBE coaches. So that narrative has shit the bed. This next hire is pretty crucial to keep the national stature going. Top 30 recruiting class coming in. GO RHODY!!!!!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Does saying that I don't even care how it ends with Ollie, I just hope it drags on messy for a long time...make me an evil person? (I actually do care how it ends...if Ollie din do nuffin, I hope he gets paid)

Not from someone that hopes Ollie gets every last cent of the 10.75M that is owed him causing a financial shortfall for UConn that then results in cuts leading to its men's basketball team having to fly commercial instead of charter to league games in Tulsa, Wichita, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, Orlando, Tampa, and Greenville for the next few years.
after a :45 bus ride and no direct flights?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

hrstrat57 wrote:I think we should knock it off with passive aggressive Ace posts.

Ace is alright and it’s not 100% certain won’t continue to post and contribute further.

Just my take - fire away if you have to but I hope Ace sticks around these parts
I for one valued ace’s opinions and hope she continues to post.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ace I brought you up and maybe that’s not right, but only because your opinion was obviously coming from close range, and 1 of the only ones worth listening to in the sea of noise. You did right by KB in all your posts with insight and great hoops knowledge, and in retrospect provided the most truthful take there was. Your post about how “coaches view situations differently from the fans” will live on in KB infamy!
8 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

NYG, I believe what he was saying is that as the school in the New England TV market, BC will (and has) always put the kibosh on UConn joining the ACC. Not that because BC ball sucks that UConn would, just that basically they have a snowballs chance of ever getting in there. The most frequently discussed destinations are B1G (which is not looking to expand atm) and the new BE (whose profile does not fit UConn at all and does not have football).
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ace wrote:
Great to hear ace. Glad you’ve become a fan and I do hope you continue to post here. I for one have found your posts to have been very insightful and you’ll be missed if you stop posting.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Hey Blueman, I'm making another donation, and no it's not for $20.18 :D
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Puck Frovidence wrote:
NYG, I believe what he was saying is that as the school in the New England TV market, BC will (and has) always put the kibosh on UConn joining the ACC. Not that because BC ball sucks that UConn would, just that basically they have a snowballs chance of ever getting in there. The most frequently discussed destinations are B1G (which is not looking to expand atm) and the new BE (whose profile does not fit UConn at all and does not have football).
Understood, I lived in CT when that all went down and the All Anywhere Conference lint trap came into being.
I'm just saying, IF....THEN (understood that they are NOT) 8-)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hearing that Schmidt is now the leader at Pitt....he would be nuts not to take it if asked.

here's an interesting piece of info....on the A10 board a poster said URI made 100K profit on hoops last season....and Dayton made 8.4 million, VCU 2.7 million. wtf....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Hearing that Schmidt is now the leader at Pitt....he would be nuts not to take it if asked.

here's an interesting piece of info....on the A10 board a poster said URI made 100K profit on hoops last season....and Dayton made 8.4 million, VCU 2.7 million. wtf....
That's accounting. Please disregard.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I kind of agree blueram but just thought i'd throw it out there.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Boston College will never allow Connecticut to join the ACC

The ACC will not want two schools from New England either

BC got there first. UCONN the bridesmaid.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:
If there was a contest for who the most interesting, knowledgeable and objective poster on KeaneyBlue, (or any Message Board for that matter), my vote would go to Ace. I always look forward to her posts.

Would love to read more or her posts and dread the thought that she might leave this Board following the UCONN announcement
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rambone 78 wrote:Hearing that Schmidt is now the leader at Pitt....he would be nuts not to take it if asked.

Koch quoted those numbers too. Doesn't make much sense, unless VCU tickets went up 300%.
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Holy contract, Batman:

A bare minimum of $16.5 M total over 6 years. Then if all incentives/bonuses are met, it maxes at $3.75 M for 11 years ($41.25 M). Of course, if the incentives are being met, new extensions will happen and that will lead to more. I do find it hard to blame him for taking that.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

theblueram
Frank Keaney

We offered $14 million over 7 years. The other bonuses add up to $1.025 million. So he gotta get a NC for it to get to $3.75 million. How bout we pay a coach $ 1 million a year with a bonus of $2.8 million if he wins the NC? Then we would have a similar contract. But a higher amount in the end.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote:We offered $14 million over 7 years. The other bonuses add up to $1.025 million. So he gotta get a NC for it to get to $3.75 million.
Yes, he'd have to win the whole thing to get the full $41.25 million over 11 years. But if he meats some (the NCAAs, especially the sweet 16s), it's going to increase the amount, and add years. If he keeps doing that, I'm sure that will lead to more extensions to this contract.

Does anyone know what the full contract URI offered was? It was $2 million per year for 7 years starting in 2019-20. But where there bonuses and incentives? What were they and how did it increase the compensation. theblueram, do the other bonuses add up to $1.025 M total, or per year? That's a big difference. If it's total, then it's only $15 million over the life of the contract, still less than UConn's bare minimum. If it's $1.025 per year, then it's a whole different story.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

theblueram
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
theblueram wrote:We offered $14 million over 7 years. The other bonuses add up to $1.025 million. So he gotta get a NC for it to get to $3.75 million.
Yes, he'd have to win the whole thing to get the full $41.25 million over 11 years. But if he meats some (the NCAAs, especially the sweet 16s), it's going to increase the amount, and add years. If he keeps doing that, I'm sure that will lead to more extensions to this contract.

Does anyone know what the full contract URI offered was? It was $2 million per year for 7 years starting in 2019-20. But where there bonuses and incentives? What were they and how did it increase the compensation. theblueram, do the other bonuses add up to $1.025 M total, or per year? That's a big difference. If it's total, then it's only $15 million over the life of the contract, still less than UConn's bare minimum. If it's $1.025 per year, then it's a whole different story.
How about this, we hire a coach with normal conditions, but if he wins the NC we pay him a $5 million dollar bonus. Then we can say with incentives we have the highest paid coach. If he wins, it's certainly worth it. But........
1 x
VCUDevDog
Jim Eitner

Unread post by VCUDevDog »

Rhodymob05 wrote:

Koch quoted those numbers too. Doesn't make much sense, unless VCU tickets went up 300%.
Part of this money is back pay from NCAA tourney appearances. Schools are paid in 6 year installments. VCU had made the tourney for the last 7 years (not this year of course) Dayton the last 3 I believe.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Hmm, per Koch's tweet he says 5 additional years max for NCAA berth extensions, however there was also a 1-year extension for NCAA penalties/violations prior to employment. So actually I count a 12-year max contract.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes Ace please keep posting and glad you are still a URI fan !!

Yeah if I am Schmidt I take that Pitt job great money and ACC even though it's a total rebuild
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Well I’m glad Hurley isn’t in charge here any longer... he’s apparently doesn’t have control of his new program... nothing like your leading scorer getting the team drunk to celebrate and posting it on IG...
69AB4F35-32D5-4DAD-85FD-B08C5E7D5592.jpeg
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

rambone 78 wrote:here's an interesting piece of info....on the A10 board a poster said URI made 100K profit on hoops last season....and Dayton made 8.4 million, VCU 2.7 million. wtf....
This may be accounting...but it also may have to do at least partially with the seating donation that needs to be paid for season tickets. It looks like both schools require a sizable donation be made for seating selection.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:Well I’m glad Hurley isn’t in charge here any longer... he’s apparently doesn’t have control of his new program... nothing like your leading scorer getting the team drunk to celebrate and posting it on IG...69AB4F35-32D5-4DAD-85FD-B08C5E7D5592.jpeg
Welcome to uconn Dan not sure you’re going to fit.

GO RHODY!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Different kind of kids. Different kind of fans. I assume DH took all of that into account in his decision, but I am sure he will realize you’re not in Kingston anymore real quick.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Imagine if Hurley decided to stay the high would have been incredible but no doubt in my mind he would now take the X job. All things work out for the best.

GO RHODY!
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ramster wrote:
Boston College will never allow Connecticut to join the ACC

The ACC will not want two schools from New England either

BC got there first. UCONN the bridesmaid.
Exactly. UConn has a better chance at joining the United Nations.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dan Hurley's words in the last month to Bill Koch:

03/23/18

Calhoun and Moore gave Hurley some insight into what taking over UConn entailed, with Hurley insisting those conversations with Moore didn’t begin in earnest until the last couple of days.

Source:
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... 0111114920

02/26/18

You be the judge on whether you believe what he said was true on either day. I myself look to the old adage that actions speak louder than words.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Guys lets not get carried away! Those Uconn players are college aged young adults, out of season on a Friday night! I'm sure no one on our team was drunk last night (sarcasm). This is normal college behavior IMO.
6 x