The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I just listen to the Hurley radio interview. I don’t read it the way NJ did. I read his comment that he told the recruits they should stay with URI. If he told them anything else that would probably be a recruiting violation. Per Harris’ coach they never heard from Hurley (which I believe).
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
sevegny7 wrote:

Blue man- any idea what happens with tj?
If it's Cox he's staying - along with the rest of the staff that didn't go to Storrs today.
So who exactly is the rest of the staff besides Cox and Boswell as assistant, TJ, and who else?
COACHING STAFF

Head Coach: Dan Hurley
Associate Head Coach: David Cox
Assistant Coaches: Tyron Boswell, Tom Moore
Director of Basketball Operations: Eric Youncofski
Director of Player Development: T.J. Buchanan
Video Coordinator: Tripp Doherty
Assistant Director of Operations: Jerrell Coleman
Director of Basketball Performance: Daniel Marshall
Athletic Trainer: Daniel Anthony
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Hurley's nuts. I'm listening to the interview and he thinks UConn has the best brand in college basketball? WTF is he talking about? Does he still think they're in the Big East and in the same conference with the likes of Syracuse, Louisville, Villanova, Georgetown, etc? Does he not realize that half their conference consists of Tulane, Central Florida, South Florida, SMU, East Carolina and Tulsa?
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

CT Rhody wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
sevegny7 wrote:

Blue man- any idea what happens with tj?
If it's Cox he's staying - along with the rest of the staff that didn't go to Storrs today.
So who exactly is the rest of the staff besides Cox and Boswell as assistant, TJ, and who else?
Marshall?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

So only Moore, Trip, and Eric are leaving? That’s impressive and says A LOT about cox that the rest of the staff wants to stay and work with him. This decision seems easy to me unless coach K wants to come here.
4 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

eli#10 wrote:What about accepting someone like Fatts as a transfer?

I believe any player on the current roster can transfer and be eligible with any other school immediately...except UCONN. If they were to transfer to UCONN they would have to sit out a year. At least that is my understanding of the transfer rule.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

scine20 wrote:Hurley's nuts. I'm listening to the interview and he thinks UConn has the best brand in college basketball? WTF is he talking about? Does he still think they're in the Big East and in the same conference with the likes of Syracuse, Louisville, Villanova, Georgetown, etc? Does he not realize that half their conference consists of Tulane, Central Florida, South Florida, SMU, East Carolina and Tulsa?
.........he is doing the Hurley brand.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:

I believe any player on the current roster can transfer and be eligible with any other school immediately...except UCONN. If they were to transfer to UCONN they would have to sit out a year. At least that is my understanding of the transfer rule.
Very wrong
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Iggy1979 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

Very wrong
In a proposal presented by Baylor professor Jeremy Counseller and Iowa State professor Tim Day (pdf), athletes would be able to transfer without sitting out as long as they met one of a few guidelines:

1. the student-athlete earned a baccalaureate degree at the original institution;

2. the student-athlete’s head coach at the original institution resigned or was fired during or after the most recent season of competition, except that the student-athlete is not immediately eligible at another institution at which the head coach is employed;

3. sanctions have been imposed on the original institution that limit post-season competition in the student-athlete’s sport;

4. the student-athlete did not receive athletically-related financial aid at the original institution; or

5. an exception in bylaw 14.5.5.2 or 14.5.6 is satisfied
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

actually, above rules are proposed. as of now they couldn't transfer anywhere without having to sit out a year.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

CT Rhody wrote:So only Moore, Trip, and Eric are leaving? That’s impressive and says A LOT about cox that the rest of the staff wants to stay and work with him. This decision seems easy to me unless coach K wants to come here.
I don't find that impressive at all. Hurley took who he wanted. It's not like he asked someone and they said no. That didn't happen
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:So only Moore, Trip, and Eric are leaving? That’s impressive and says A LOT about cox that the rest of the staff wants to stay and work with him. This decision seems easy to me unless coach K wants to come here.
I don't find that impressive at all. Hurley took who he wanted. It's not like he asked someone and they said no. That didn't happen
Didn’t want Moore or Eric. Good riddance.
2 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

DC_Rams wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Didn’t want Moore or Eric. Good riddance.
Exactly. All three of them are entirely disposable and absolutely replaceable. DOBO and video coordinator jobs aren’t overly complicated , and conspiracy theories aside, I’m not convinced Moore was very effective as an assistant.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Didn't take UConn long to introduce Hurley as their coach....what, 2 days? When did they post their opening?

Aren't they a state school? What are their hiring rules vs. RI?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
This actually isn't true...
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:Didn't take UConn long to introduce Hurley as their coach....what, 2 days?

Aren't they a state school? What are their hiring rules vs. RI?
The rules are...whatever Jim C says they are...?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dre3000 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
I heard the same Dre...
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:

Is that new? If not why did Robinson and KI sit out a year?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

DC_Rams wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote: I don't find that impressive at all. Hurley took who he wanted. It's not like he asked someone and they said no. That didn't happen
I heard the same Dre...
Shhhh let the conspiracy theorists go to work
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing if Cox is hired that he promotes Ty to 2nd assistant....then he needs a lead and a 3rd assistant.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Ok-stupid question of the day: who is "trip"?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: '18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by ramster »

Should hire for the long term
We learned in hiring Jerry D from an assistant Coaching Position to replace Jim Harrick because there was humongous pressure to keep Lamar Odom at URI
Guess what. After all that Lamar bolted anyway.
We got Jerry D and then after that disaster we opted for Mr Safe, Jim Baron, CFL - Coach for Life, who never leveraged the potential of a beautiful, brand spanking new Ryan Center.
Keeping the recruits is fine, but in the big picture I think Thorr is doing exactly the right thing - do a broad search

None of us know which Head Coaches might be interested in the URI Position. Thorr's phone will ring and Kevin Mac, Bill Koch, URI Players, Rothstein, Goodman, Zags, Dan Hurley, Bobby Hurley, Cox, the URI Players, the URI Recruits..................none will know who is on that phone with Thorr

This is a huge decision for Thorr. Many raving about Thorr but look at the Women's Team. Why should Fordham, Duquesne, George Washington, etc be so much better than URI? Why? URI has the beautiful Ryan Center and since opening they have 4 Coaches with winning percentages of .398, .333, .207, and La-Force after 4 seasons of only .367
COACH SEASONS WINS LOSSES PCT.
Beth Bricker 2 (1975-77) 26 19 .578
Nancy Langham 8 (1977-85) 122 105 .537
Annette Lynch 4 (1985-89) 25 87 .223
Linda Ziemke 10 (1989-99) 106 174 .379
Boe Pearman 5 (1999-03) 49 74 .398
Tom Garrick 6 (2003-09)* 56 112 .333
Cathy Inglese 5 (2009-2014) 30 115 .207
Daynia La-Force 4 (2014-present) 37 64 .367

TOTALS 43 Seasons (1201 games) 451 750 .376

Sure Men's Basketball Drives the Bus - but that is the point isn't it? We cannot afford to hire anyone but the best possible candidate since URI depends so heavily on Men's Basketball for it's success

There should be an abundance of Women's Head Coaches for URI to select from. But URI has failed on Women's Basketball. Last Coach with a winning percentage of over .400 was Nancy Langham from 1977 to 1985. and that was in Keaney Gym

Glad Thorr is doing a National Search

Hire the best possible candidate for the Short, Medium AND Long Term. URI can ill afford not to. Can't have a mistake here
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Trip Doherty the video guy.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Dre3000 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Tell me who said no and I will stand corrected
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:I'm guessing if Cox is hired that he promotes Ty to 2nd assistant....then he needs a lead and a 3rd assistant.
This will not happen. He doesn't coach. He sits in the very last seat on the bench. He never goes in the huddle. He was not trusted to do a scout.
0 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

Rhody74 wrote:Trip Doherty the video guy.
*insert DVD*

*press play*

*collect money*
2 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote: I don't find that impressive at all. Hurley took who he wanted. It's not like he asked someone and they said no. That didn't happen
I think for them professionally that's probably not a fair thing to do on a public forum.
4 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhody09 wrote:
*insert DVD*

*press play*

*collect money*
This can't be serious? Doherty is considered a bigger loss than Moore and Youncofski for the record
7 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Dre3000 wrote:
Rhody09 wrote:
*insert DVD*

*press play*

*collect money*
This can't be serious? Doherty is considered a bigger loss than Moore and Youncofski for the record
All 3 are good at what they do. That's why Hurley took them
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
Rhody09 wrote:
*insert DVD*

*press play*

*collect money*
All 3 are good at what they do. That's why Hurley took them
Iggy, are you for Cox getting the gig?
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I'm torn between Cox and Oats. Becker and Odom don't interest me.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agree with Iggy on this. If it's between Cox and Oats, a tough one.....but Cox deserves the chance.

We need to keep things going. Not have a complete rebuild again. if Cox doesn't work out, we'll know soon enough, and we can move on.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Iggy1979 wrote:I'm torn between Cox and Oats. Becker and Odom don't interest me.
Oats will be a rebuild, and Cox will be a continuation. Who do you see as a better coach? I know it's tough with limited experience on both, but Cox has been in the game awhile. This next hire needs to keep this going from a fan perspective. Cox may give us the current players and recruits. Does Oats give us more from a rebuild?
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Don’t hate me, Pitino rumors are still floating. I’m not an insider or anything so it could be total BS.
1 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Don’t hate me, Pitino rumors are still floating. I’m not an insider or anything so it could be total BS.
I confess...I'm intrigued...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NO PITINO UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

The man is slime. I would never support URI hoops ever again if he were hired.
6 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I give up my season tickets if it's Pitino
8 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:I'm torn between Cox and Oats. Becker and Odom don't interest me.
Oats will be a rebuild, and Cox will be a continuation. Who do you see as a better coach? I know it's tough with limited experience on both, but Cox has been in the game awhile. This next hire needs to keep this going from a fan perspective. Cox may give us the current players and recruits. Does Oats give us more from a rebuild?
I think with Oats they would keep 2 or 3 of the recruits and not lose any important current players.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have read that Oats may have a buyout of about 1M. URI would never pay that. Only a power conference team could afford such a buyout amount.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
I think with Oats they would keep 2 or 3 of the recruits and not lose any important current players.
What about coaching? Who can keep this thing going better? I think that is the most important question we should be asking. I would rather take a year or two back and get moving again then have a fair season next year and then a downward trend.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PC fans would love Pitino back....not.....I heard he likes the beach. lol

Seriously, I would not be surprised if he's called Thorr.

I also agree with Iggy about keeping some of the players and recruits if Oats was hired.

Man, I loved the way that Buffalo team played......give him our players and recruits and bang!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I would say Thorr has probably more calls than he ever expected.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well when you offer 2m a year for 7 years, that gets people's attention fast. Along with the other enhancements....we are in a way better spot than we used to be.

Will be really interesting if we can find out who's in the running.
1 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

RF1 wrote:I have read that Oats may have a buyout of about 1M. URI would never pay that. Only a power conference team could afford such a buyout amount.
That’s on par with the buyout Hurley is paying us. Can easily be allocated in that direction.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote:I give up my season tickets if it's Pitino
Me too
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
You really don’t think Dan tried taking Boswell? Or Buchanan? Seriously?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:I have read that Oats may have a buyout of about 1M. URI would never pay that. Only a power conference team could afford such a buyout amount.
Your old ways just don't apply anymore. We just offered Dan $2 milion a year. For 7 years. $1 million is probably what we have as a Cox payout on not making him a head coach. Times have changed.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

No pitino
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

theblueram wrote:
Your old ways just don't apply anymore. We just offered Dan $2 milion a year. For 7 years. $1 million is probably what we have as a Cox payout on not making him a head coach. Times have changed.
I thought I heard or read the buyout was six figures.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

woof. That's 2 mil if we hire Oats if both numbers are accurate.

Yeah times have changed but maybe not that much.
0 x