The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RamIt! »

And Mack taking official visit with Louisville...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How long did the pressers last ?? I will torment myself and watch it tonight

I agree for DH UConn was one of those destination jobs even though I don't agree it is. I guess for timing reasons that job was one that didn't need to come open but Ollie crapped the bed

Well the grass isn't always greener guess we will know in about 5 years if he made the right choice for himself
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Who would go to Xavier? Does Mack have a successor already on staff? (the Xavier way)
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Opening at LaSalle
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

For the gluttons (I haven't listened yet):

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Attractive job but didn't Mack only make 1.6 milly ???
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ATPTourFan wrote:Who would go to Xavier? Does Mack have a successor already on staff? (the Xavier way)
Luke Murray :roll:
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Prediction: PAIN watching that extended remarks video from Bill Koch.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

STC wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Who would go to Xavier? Does Mack have a successor already on staff? (the Xavier way)
Luke Murray would be a good choice if Mack leaves. Also someone that I think would be a good fit here. In a perfect world, I'd want Cox as my HC, with Murray and Muphy on the staff. Yes, I know that's not happening.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

steviep123 wrote:
STC wrote:
Luke Murray would be a good choice if Mack leaves. Also someone that I think would be a good fit here. In a perfect world, I'd want Cox as my HC, with Murray and Muphy on the staff. Yes, I know that's not happening.
I saw Luke Murray mentioned for Loyola Maryland. Xavier seems like a big first HC job for him.
3 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

steviep123 wrote:
STC wrote:
Would love Preton back here. Not sure that is his career trajectory though.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhodyNJ wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
STC wrote:
I saw Luke Murray mentioned for Loyola Maryland. Xavier seems like a big first HC job for him.
Asking as if I was an Xavier fan: why is it too big for Murray, but not Miller or Mack? It also would have been Prosser's first if he didn't coach one season elsewhere before coming back after Gillen left.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Opening at LaSalle

This bears watching. Replacement and salary could portend the future conference affiliation for the Explorers. School is very cash strapped. Its museum is selling off some of its most valuable works. Ongoing task force examining the athletic programs with best long term league membership being considered.

FWIW - LaSalle is also looking for a new women's coach as well. They chose not to renew the contract for Jeff Williams (92-149) after eight years at the helm. This was announced at the end of February.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

RF1 wrote:

This bears watching. Replacement and salary could portend the future conference affiliation for the Explorers. School is very cash strapped. Its museum is selling off some of its most valuable works. Ongoing task force examining the athletic programs with best long term league membership being considered.
Interesting stuff. I could see LaSalle as a good fit in the MAAC if they wanted to expand to Philly.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

No surprise there ...
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If Schmidt leaves SBU, the A-10 may soon have just three (out of 14) coaches that were at the helm of their schools just four seasons ago.

Martelli-St Joe's
McKillop-Davidson
Mooney-Richmond
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Giannini could be an excellent top assistant at URI. He is a respected Xs and Os coach, a coach's coach (won D3 national title), knows the league as well as anyone and has a URI connection because his father-in-law Bill Woodward literally wrote the book about Rhode Island basketball and the biography of Frank Keaney. I feel like unless he has a destination already in mind, I would be on the phone with him already.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

His recruiting chops are suspect. But he gets transfers.

Mooney has lived on the hot seat.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

Today "The Don" Jim Calhoun settled all family business. Ollie (Barzini) is mort. Calhoun got who he wanted. Ask Ollie what he thinks of Calhoun. Ollie began undercutting "Don" Calhoun's emeritis powers when he whacked Glen Miller. Hurley was always Jim's boy and now Calhoun can get back in the UConn game as a "consigliere". We known Calhoun is a cheat and a liar, but he's King of that cow pasture. However, as long at they remain in that conference and their football team continues to suck, it will never again be UConn of the Big East days and that will continue to cause agita to Husky fans (who enjoy living in the past). Wonder if Dan and Geno will get along? UConn had to pony up for Dan, but it was Calhoun who drove this from the start with his little "visits" to Kingston while enjoying his Charlestown home. Dan is a great coach. Calhoun was a great coach, and a documented cheater. There's a great newspaper story in all this somewhere, but I doubt if any of the print boys will ever get the pieces of the puzzle put together and the story documented from start to finish. A-10 3 bids, AAC 3 bids.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:His recruiting chops are suspect. But he gets transfers.

Mooney has lived on the hot seat.
I don't want to say that we can have an assistant that doesn't recruit at all, but it isn't like he has never recruited a good player. If Cox is the head coach and Ty is still on the staff, assuming the 4th guy can recruit some I think you could survive with Giannini as your "worst" recruiter. And like you said, he's gotten some good transfers and that is a market we haven't exploited a ton (with a few obvious exceptions).
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RF1 wrote:If Schmidt leaves SBU, the A-10 may soon have just three (out of 14) coaches that were at the helm of their schools just four seasons ago.

Martelli-St Joe's
McKillop-Davidson
Mooney-Richmond
This was brought up before. What exactly keeps these these boys from leaving?
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

FWIW, one of my co-workers is a UConn fan. We've been discussing Hurley. To his credit he's interested in finding out who URI's coach will be. He says he feels invested in URI some now and doesn't want them to take a downhill slide. Probably because of me and a couple of other URI fans he knows, but it's good to see not all UConn fans are detestable.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Dr John would provide the bench dramatics that we lost when Dan left.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Having a seasoned vet like giannini would be a very valuable asset.

He knows the league. Famous for being good at forming good relationships with players with his psychologist background. His teams played well most of the time as well.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

As of now I am in the David Cox camp big time Thor did mention that to the effect, he was surprised at the people who have already contacted him. I wold like to see who may have interest. Mark Schmidt was interested when Dan got the job, I would assume he may throw his name in again. He is from North Attleboro and local guy, so I would assume that is appealing to him plus getting out of Olean. I am not promoting him, but guy can coach and anyone that can recruit to Olean must be pretty good recruiter. Again, I am all in on David Cox, but I think he can coach, though our experience of stealing a coach from St Bonnies before was not a good one.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

How bout in two seasons if Cox doesn't work out we hire mark Schmidt....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would not be surprised if Northeastern's Bill Coen and Towson's Pat Skerry, both former URI assistants and current D1 head coaches, did not at least inquire.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Mark Macon wrote:Today "The Don" Jim Calhoun settled all family business. Ollie (Barzini) is mort. Calhoun got who he wanted. Ask Ollie what he thinks of Calhoun. Ollie began undercutting "Don" Calhoun's emeritis powers when he whacked Glen Miller. Hurley was always Jim's boy and now Calhoun can get back in the UConn game as a "consigliere". We known Calhoun is a cheat and a liar, but he's King of that cow pasture. However, as long at they remain in that conference and their football team continues to suck, it will never again be UConn of the Big East days and that will continue to cause agita to Husky fans (who enjoy living in the past). Wonder if Dan and Geno will get along? UConn had to pony up for Dan, but it was Calhoun who drove this from the start with his little "visits" to Kingston while enjoying his Charlestown home. Dan is a great coach. Calhoun was a great coach, and a documented cheater. There's a great newspaper story in all this somewhere, but I doubt if any of the print boys will ever get the pieces of the puzzle put together and the story documented from start to finish. A-10 3 bids, AAC 3 bids.
This sounds like a trailer of a really good movie
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Big no to both. Skerry' s value has dipped quite a bit the last couple of years , I like Coen good guy, solid coach for Northeastern but not here. I would be very interested to see or hear who some of the names are that have shown some interest. If is guys like this, to me it's not even close and a no brainer to go for David Cox. These are not names that would blow anyone away at any level. If someone like a Harrick came along with that type of success and name recognition, that would be different.

Also on the PLEASE NO CLUESS bandwagon.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

It's kind of funny to me, or not, that Jim Calhoun's rep of his "bending" of the rules was always ok and heads turned away, but to Ollie not so much. Maybe things are a bit different if you are winning 30 games a year regardless of how you do it? I know a couple of people that know Calhoun pretty well, one that went to AIC with him and he used to refer to him as Jim Gotti the teflon coach. To me and a couple others, I don't think to Jim himself.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

giovanni wrote:Big no to both. Skerry' s value has dipped quite a bit the last couple of years , I like Coen good guy, solid coach for Northeastern but not here. I would be very interested to see or hear who some of the names are that have shown some interest. If is guys like this, to me it's not even close and a no brainer to go for David Cox. These are not names that would blow anyone away at any level. If someone like a Harrick came along with that type of success and name recognition, that would be different.

Understand I am in way advocating for either Coen or Skerry. My post was more in response to Thorr indicating that several people have contacted him about the position. I suspect that they could be two of them.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Agree RF didn't mean to imply you were advocating, I was just meant to give my opinion of those names.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

giovanni wrote:It's kind of funny to me, or not, that Jim Calhoun's rep of his "bending" of the rules was always ok and heads turned away, but to Ollie not so much. Maybe things are a bit different if you are winning 30 games a year regardless of how you do it? I know a couple of people that know Calhoun pretty well, one that went to AIC with him and he used to refer to him as Jim Gotti the teflon coach. To me and a couple others, I don't think to Jim himself.

It would be in UConn's best interest to get the Ollie dismissal settled soon before it gets really messy. Many think they fired him for "just cause" only to avoid paying the full buyout amount (10.75M). The thinking is they hope he will agree to a much lower dollar amount by playing hardball. Ollie is however part of the faculty union at UConn and has filed a labor grievance which must be arbitrated. The NCAA has an ongoing investigation but has made no finding of wrong doing under Ollie public. Supposedly any infractions that might be found are thought to be minor. That then begs the question - why did UConn not exercise this clause in its contract with Calhoun when the NCAA sanctioned the school several times during his tenure (recruiting violations/APR issues), even forcing a multiple game suspension from coaching. UConn never even publicly punished Calhoun for any transgressions. I am sure that Kevin Ollie's law team will be using the Calhoun precedent in their fight with the school. If Ollie does not get what he seeks via arbitration, it is likely he will sue via the legal system. If that happens, this situation has the potential to go on for a long time.

This is the Storrs cesspool Dan Hurley willingly chose to become part of. It is all part of the dream.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I do like the idea of Dr John being an assistant here if both parties are interested

I don't think Luke Murray is ready yet for the X head job
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

It sounds like any court would see this obvious major inconsistency of UCONN firing Ollie for minor infractions vs. looking the other way for ‘Don’ Calhoun’s NCAA sanctions.

Any Keaney Blue labor lawyers out there to confirm?

If I had a potential employer like this pursuing me for my services I would avoid them like the plague.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ram1019 wrote:It sounds like any court would see this obvious major inconsistency of UCONN firing Ollie for minor infractions vs. looking the other way for ‘Don’ Calhoun’s NCAA sanctions.

Any Keaney Blue labor lawyers out there to confirm?

If I had a potential employer like this pursuing me for my services I would avoid them like the plague.

One might argue it is an entirely black and white case. ;)
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

STC wrote:
Travis Steele is the Associate HC at Xavier. He would get the job before Luke Murray.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I wonder if ace has started on the UConn board yet.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Of course people are going to contact Thorr. We just offered DH $2 mill a year. Hell, I bet Jim Christian contacted Thorr. Any coach making about $1.5 mill would at least think about a contact.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

theblueram wrote:Of course people are going to contact Thorr. We just offered DH $2 mill a year. Hell, I bet Jim Christian contacted Thorr. Any coach making about $1.5 mill would at least think about a contact.
Some coaches are more about family than money... they're just "wired different". Sorry, I had to
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote:For the gluttons (I haven't listened yet):

When I listen to Hurley talk now I just hear the BS flowing. I am sure most coaches that have media attention are that way.
Asked what his team will be like he said “elite defensively, one of the best in the country.” They “will be the hardest working team in the country”. Kind of full of himself. That his approach is different and he and his staff work 24/7.

His first priority is to rerecruit the existing players and to start recruiting 19’s and 20’s. Thst they need to upgrade the young talent.

Koch asked him what insight Dan got from all of Calhoun’s visits. Dan quickly corrected him that Calhoun watched one 40 minute practice and gave the coaches suggestions about the team.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:
giovanni wrote:It's kind of funny to me, or not, that Jim Calhoun's rep of his "bending" of the rules was always ok and heads turned away, but to Ollie not so much. Maybe things are a bit different if you are winning 30 games a year regardless of how you do it? I know a couple of people that know Calhoun pretty well, one that went to AIC with him and he used to refer to him as Jim Gotti the teflon coach. To me and a couple others, I don't think to Jim himself.

It would be in UConn's best interest to get the Ollie dismissal settled soon before it gets really messy. Many think they fired him for "just cause" only to avoid paying the full buyout amount (10.75M). The thinking is they hope he will agree to a much lower dollar amount by playing hardball. Ollie is however part of the faculty union at UConn and has filed a labor grievance which must be arbitrated. The NCAA has an ongoing investigation but has made no finding of wrong doing under Ollie public. Supposedly any infractions that might be found are thought to be minor. That then begs the question - why did UConn not exercise this clause in its contract with Calhoun when the NCAA sanctioned the school several times during his tenure (recruiting violations/APR issues), even forcing a multiple game suspension from coaching. UConn never even publicly punished Calhoun for any transgressions. I am sure that Kevin Ollie's law team will be using the Calhoun precedent in their fight with the school. If Ollie does not get what he seeks via arbitration, it is likely he will sue via the legal system. If that happens, this situation has the potential to go on for a long time.

This is the Storrs cesspool Dan Hurley willingly chose to become part of. It is all part of the dream.
Does saying that I don't even care how it ends with Ollie, I just hope it drags on messy for a long time...make me an evil person? (I actually do care how it ends...if Ollie din do nuffin, I hope he gets paid)
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I think we should knock it off with passive aggressive Ace posts.

Ace is alright and it’s not 100% certain won’t continue to post and contribute further.

Just my take - fire away if you have to but I hope Ace sticks around these parts
8 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

Each day that passes my anger gets a little bit less, until I listen to him speak. Dan had us all fooled. I understand dream jobs and that you don't pass them up, but I keep hearing that UConn used to be on his list, but it disappeared awhile back, so come on Dan. When you talk about building a family and how it isn't about making every last dollar. The responsibility to your players and their development on the court and off the court. It was all just BS. If he went to Duke, UNC or a Kentucky type of team, I would hate it, but I would understand it, but not to UConn. You all have talked about the conference that they are in, which isn't much better than the A-10. UConn still has the NCAA investigating the recruiting issues, that could lead to the loss of scholarships and the NCAA doesn't care that a new coach is in charge and they don't like Jim "Cesspool" Calhoun. If they end up owning most of the money to their former coach they will get thru it, but Dan better not start asking for more money or improvements on campus. If they have some players leave they have to worry about getting a year suspension again. I am sure in time I will be happy looking back at this time period, but that is only if we don't end up losing players from the team and current recruits. If we lose players are we much better off than when Dan got here?
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

hrstrat57 wrote:I think we should knock it off with passive aggressive Ace posts.

Ace is alright and it’s not 100% certain won’t continue to post and contribute further.

Just my take - fire away if you have to but I hope Ace sticks around these parts
I doubt it. As she said on Twitter a couple months back she’s more of a fan of the coach than the school.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

giovanni wrote:Big no to both. Skerry' s value has dipped quite a bit the last couple of years , I like Coen good guy, solid coach for Northeastern but not here. I would be very interested to see or hear who some of the names are that have shown some interest. If is guys like this, to me it's not even close and a no brainer to go for David Cox. These are not names that would blow anyone away at any level. If someone like a Harrick came along with that type of success and name recognition, that would be different.

Not saying it would happen, but what if Calhoun wanted the Rhody job. What a plot twist that would be! In all seriousness, amongst the guys being talked about it is Cox unless there is a BIG name that puts their hat in the ring (Pitino).
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Who was ace? Andrea Hurley?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

STC wrote:Who was ace? Andrea Hurley?
Is there any evidence to the contrary? just sayin'.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It wasn't Andrea
0 x