The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Dan you SOB if you take Cox.
1 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ATPTourFan wrote:Moore is sitting there in the audience with Eric Y.
I know, I'm just saying he did not say Moore when he was asked about his staff. Clearly he wants Cox to get the URI job - naming him as a potential member of his staff puts even more pressure on URI. He didn't mention anyone else, including the two people from his URI staff that were sitting there in the room. That was my point.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Maybe he cannot for some weird procedural reason.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:He seems to think they'll treat him different than Ollie, when reality is they wont. It's win or adios.
They aren't going to treat him like Ollie... they are going to treat him WORSE. Ollie is an alumnus, former player, and winner of a National Championship.

Danny is some dude with a name that graduated from an old BE rival school.

Said it once, I'll say it again. He's on borrowed time there. If he doesn't have a ring in 4 years he's out after 5.

Hope the wool over your eyes doesn't itch too badly, Dan-o!
2 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Cox has gone from relatively unknown to having his name thrown out left and right in the press. Any chance another team comes in and makes him and offer before we secure him? I assume we would have to grant that school permission to talk with him first?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

More likely he's in the Final Four there within 4 years given the caliber of player he can attract.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:Dan you SOB if you take Cox.
We know that if Cox gets offered the job here he obviously isn't going to UConn to be an assistant, and if he doesn't we already knew he was going somewhere else. So what difference does it make?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Dan you SOB if you take Cox.
Dan wouldn't be taking Cox. If URI doesn't give Cox the job that is URI giving Cox up.

I do not think that will be the case.

Listen to the clues in the conversations people. UConn talked about "last few weeks" of this process. Dan said "settled in the next few days" - ignore the public stuff you hear and try to read between the lines.

Yes of course Dan had back channel conversations about this, no it didn't mean he was throwing our season away.

Yes David Cox will be our head coach.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RhodyNJ wrote:Cox has gone from relatively unknown to having his name thrown out left and right in the press. Any chance another team comes in and makes him and offer before we secure him? I assume we would have to grant that school permission to talk with him first?
For Coach Cox, it's likely the Rhode Island job would present him the best chance to win quickly, avoiding any kind of substantial rebuild that would need to happen elsewhere. This is an opportunity for a Xavier like baton-handoff from Head Coach to Head Coach.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So it's either URI or UCONN for David Cox. It's also either URI or UCONN for Jermaine Harris.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhodyNJ wrote:Cox has gone from relatively unknown to having his name thrown out left and right in the press. Any chance another team comes in and makes him and offer before we secure him? I assume we would have to grant that school permission to talk with him first?
I have zero knowledge on this, but my guess is if another team came in they would have to pay the buyout that's in place.
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Blue Man wrote:Like any break up, this sucks. I think it just hurts us all because he legitimately could have been our Calhoun or Boeheim, but when we go on to more titles and further in the NCAA tournament - we'll all look back and thank the guy because he's honestly the only person we could've hired that would've set this up.

I'm ready for a stiff drink. And the weekend. And the David Cox era. And possibly watching the UConn press conference with the TV muted and James Blunt's "Goodbye my Lover" playing in the background.

I know Dan thinks that we'll move on and he'll be a distant memory, but shit we don't forget anything around here. I need to be better about being angry because this would hurt less hahahahaha (he laughed and cried maniacally to himself).
Dude...
Ram1019 wrote:The best way to get over the pain of a breakup is to block that person from social media and not keep tabs on them. Otherwise, it's like pouring salt in the wound
This is a good start, but you guys clearly need some breakup guidance:

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:More likely he's in the Final Four there within 4 years given the caliber of player he can attract.
I don't know. I don't think much more of the UConn job than I did a week ago, regardless of what Dan apparently thinks of it. It isn't the job it was 10 years ago. With Dan, they will do better than they would with another coach because the guy is a great coach and program builder. But there are issues that could prevent him from reaching the potential he could have if he had gone to a number of other schools.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I have a bad feeling about j harris – a bad feeling it will be UConn or UConn
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

The more Dan sucks from us, the less sympathetic I become.
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Looking at some of the reactions, I'm glad I didn't watch it.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ElmCityRhody wrote:I have a bad feeling about j harris – a bad feeling it will be UConn or UConn
You're completely wrong on that. Cox has the relationship.

...I'm confused now wasn't the opinion of a few that Dan couldn't recruit and it was all his assistants? Now all of a sudden the kids will all follow Dan?

I mean I'm in a messed up headspace now too, but can't we just keep perspective instead of chicken litling all the time?
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:
For Coach Cox, it's likely the Rhode Island job would present him the best chance to win quickly, avoiding any kind of substantial rebuild that would need to happen elsewhere. This is an opportunity for a Xavier like baton-handoff from Head Coach to Head Coach.
He also recruited 90% of this roster, is already living here, is inheriting a program from his friend that is working and wants to keep improving. I literally see zero chance that he is hired out from under URI. What would even be an option for that? Is a school like Pitt going to hire a guy who has never been a head coach before? I think URI represents the best opportunity he could get and the safest and most comfortable.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It was so weird.

Then reading all the douschey comments from the Uconn fans.... ugh

"My brother Bobby etc."

"We don't like Duke boys here!"

That is his dream job. No doubt.
It's a big risk there.
If he gets fired.
He's a failure.
If he doesn't win a national title or go to a final four he's gone.
Things he could have done at URI and it would've been way more incredible of a coaching job.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Blue Man wrote:
ElmCityRhody wrote:I have a bad feeling about j harris – a bad feeling it will be UConn or UConn

...I'm confused now wasn't the opinion of a few that Dan couldn't recruit and it was all his assistants? Now all of a sudden the kids will all follow Dan?

I mean I'm in a messed up headspace now too, but can't we just keep perspective instead of chicken litling all the time?

i will gladly be wrong..

but i don't trust hurley now and i am skeptical
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's going to be a long 2 1/2 weeks.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:

The important thing is the worrying. None of the information matters, people will just manipulate and contort reality until it makes them sufficiently worried. The neuroticism here should be studied by behavioral scientists.
6 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

TruePoint wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:
He also recruited 90% of this roster, is already living here, is inheriting a program from his friend that is working and wants to keep improving. I literally see zero chance that he is hired out from under URI. What would even be an option for that? Is a school like Pitt going to hire a guy who has never been a head coach before? I think URI represents the best opportunity he could get and the safest and most comfortable.
Agree 100%, just throwing out the idea that another school could show interest.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

I wish I didn’t watch that
0 x
Common sense is not common.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

steviep123 wrote:Looking at some of the reactions, I'm glad I didn't watch it.
Didn't watch either but here's the synopsis: Every child in NJ raised in an iconic basketball family surrounded by numerous male role models in athletics, actually model themselves after a notorious sleazebag who they have no connection to and dreams of coaching at a school they never went to in a state they never lived in all because the UConn brand is so transcendent.
8 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Didn't watch either but here's the synopsis: Every child in NJ raised in an iconic basketball family surrounded by numerous male role models in athletics, actually model themselves after a notorious sleazebag who they have no connection to and dreams of coaching at a school they never went to in a state they never lived in all because the UConn brand is so transcendent.
Ha basically, I also thought this was odd since UConn never made a Final Four until 1999. They were certainly a power in the Big East but he talks about them as if they were UNC.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Not sure why you all tortured yourselves and watched that trash. I will never watch or listen to a thing associated with Hurley or UConn. I do reserve the right to change my mind if we make it through this transition fine and time heals the gaping wound.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If Schmidt were to leave St. Bonaventure and go to Pitt, it would mean that last four A-10 coaches to earn their teams at large NCAA bids would have all left after doing so:

2017 Wade VCU to LSU
2017 Miller Dayton to Indiana
2018 Hurley URI to UConn
2018 Schmidt SBU to Pitt (if it happens)

This is not a formula for a stable A-10. Bad for the league to keep losing its best coaches in such short succession.
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Man, am I glad I didn’t watch that. I would have guessed there would be a lot of Calhoun ball washing.

Peace out, Dan. Thanks for the memories but you don’t matter here anymore. Just like that. 10 years from now when you come and kibitz with Steve and a still kicking Don at halftime of one of our games, you can say how great it is to be back and how you should have never left. And we’ll give you a nice ovation, partially for what you did here, partially for feeling bad that it all fell apart at UConn.

You had a chance to be THE coach at Rhody, but now you’re just another one of the good ones that left.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhodyNJ wrote:
URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Ha basically, I also thought this was odd since UConn never made a Final Four until 1999. They were certainly a power in the Big East but he talks about them as if they were UNC.
UConn was no better (maybe worse?) than URI before Calhoun. They've done nothing outside of his tenure. Ollie's championship was in year 2 with Calhoun recruits. Maybe Hurley can take them there again, but it's not a forgone conclusion.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'cause...if you lived in that state, you wouldn't go there...you'd know better...my kids did a t 17.
We lived right around the same area that Moore does...our kids chose URI...we moved to West K.

As noted, Dan will have several masters...he won't be 'directing shit', which seems to be a strength...and the biggest master of all will be Calhoun, and I can see JC putting DH in some nasty spots. It's all kinda creepy actually, but hey, you reap what you sow...
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Also, isn’t being a college hoops fan strange? Like most of you, I absolutely love it. The peaks and valleys, the “you’re with us or you’re not” mentality, the feeling of “we did it” when it finally come to fruition.

But at a program like Rhody, literally every season comes with a guarantee that we’ll be kicked in the dick at some point. Yet, we keep coming back. Some would call us insane but I admire it haha.
5 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

At that rate, I feel like the A10 is due for a dismantling in the future.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

My friend said something similar...he said he hates college sports bc the minute the team has success something bad happens (coach leaves).
Whereas in pros something bad happens only after your team has a shit season.
3 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

ElmCityRhody wrote:#FAMILY

and you sounded soooo sincere when you stared into that camera and lectured on the ncaa podium

i will NEVER forget that

For me? I was not comfortable the way he would say he was different than the other coaches with the family thing. Even if it were true which it wasn't I didn't like the 'look' of that...

But hey the recruits are tweeting they are staying and life if good!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Clear to me now.

Dawgs wanted squeaky clean Dan to clean off the slime.

Surprising Louisville didn’t offer $4m
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodeIslandRams wrote:

and you sounded soooo sincere when you stared into that camera and lectured on the ncaa podium

i will NEVER forget that

For me? I was not comfortable the way he would say he was different than the other coaches with the family thing. Even if it were true which it wasn't I didn't like the 'look' of that...

Harris?
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Maybe it's the bitterness seeping in, but I just can't understand how UCONN could be Dan's dream job. Yes, they have the championships. Yes, they have great facilities and financial support. But you can say that about a lot of programs out there. When I think about iconic basketball programs with rich history, tradition and identity, teams that immediately come to mind are Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, UCLA, Michigan State...so on and so forth. UCONN isn't even a thought in my head. Not to mention the cloud hanging over that program right now, potential sanctions, disloyal and cold-hearted administration and the imposing shadow of Calhoun that will always be there. I guess none of that matters to Dan. Based on that press conference (uggh) it seems like he's been salivating at the chance to join that program for quite some time now. Just seems puzzling to me.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/jeffj ... 774786.php

Maybe some truth to this...?

“In a lot of ways,” Moore said, “he’s a young Jim Calhoun.”
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RhodeIslandRams wrote:

i will NEVER forget that

Harris?
Sorry Tate and Martin
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I know you guys like Dan Hurley. I feel bad for his family.

BUT he is now in direct competition with us for recruits. We are a program coming off two titles and tournament wins in back to back years.

Negative recruiting will happen both ways. just has to.

UConn hardly recruits outside of our own recruiting areas. Both Jalen Adams and Enoch were all over our board. They went there and have had less success. The more we pull ourselves even with them and the more they suck, which they will next year. The more we compete for the same thing.

URI is on the upswing. It is definitely with us or against us. This isn't a Wagner URI thing. Not until he pulls a 5star guy and a Sweet Sixteen. Jury is out.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Going to be a lot of fresh faces next year in the A10.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

LaSalle had no choice.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Woaaaah

Giannini hits the dust

Who would they hire?
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Billyboy78 wrote:It's going to be a long 2 1/2 weeks.
If it is going to be David Cox I kind of hope they at least give him a heads up this coming week. The Final Four is really a big conference of sorts for coaches...you hear about the infamous hotel lobby full of coaches asking for jobs. It would be beneficial for David to be making contacts and getting a feel for future assistants down in San Antonio next weekend, knowing he is full speed ahead.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Pitt fans are freaking out on Twitter over having Schmidt as a had coach... they're not happy at all.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Oh please LaSalle and Fordham, consider this your opportunity to gracefully exit the A10.
4 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Jeff Goodman thinks LaSalle will target Tim Legler.
0 x