The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by theblueram »

That bleacher report says $2.75 annualy for 6. So that is $16.5 for 6 vs $14 for 7. Not a huge difference in money I would say.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote:at least you got through a whole memo without once again blaming the URI fanbase.

UCONN as a dream job is just strange. He could do so much better. No better place to play than the Ryan Center.

The Practice Facility is going to happen. He knows that for a fact.

It was for money - don't kid yourself.

And for those like Koch who make the statement that URI could have put an offer like this together last year - well URI had not won the A10 last year and had not gone to the NCAA for a second year

He should have taken the URI Offer Thorr and Dooley put out there - but he did not. He could have but he did not. There was plenty of time to consider. He could have asked for a couple of more days to think about the Thorr Dooley offer but he did not. Nobody was pushing him for a quick commitment at UCONN or Pittsburgh. He made his decision. It is not the fault of Dooley or Thorr or URI Fans. No fault, no one to blame. He is going to a program he said he would never go to. UCONN is a huge rebuild. What he said in the past is not showing up in his actions today.
1) I did - this time I just blamed the fact that we don't have a ton of rich people throwing cash at the program/them showing up too late

2) Your opinion, not Dan's obviously.

3) The practice facility has been "going to happen" for some time. Just like my buddy who got recruited to play QB at URI and was promised a horse shoe/bowl stadium by his senior year at the latest. He graduated 5 years ago.

4) To the uneducated on the situation, it certainly looks that way

5) URI won the A10 tournament last year and made it to the dance. Got the credits, but again - the donors are the ones who make the advancements like practice facilities and charters happen. Not the operating budget. It was donors at UConn who made the third push to get the things Dan needed, not their NCAA credits.

6) I would have loved him to take it but he did what he did. Everyone was pushing him for a quick commitment, at Pitt, UConn, URI, and on every associated message board.

It is not the "fault" of anyone this year, but I place that blame on our casual fanbase and big donors for taking so long to come back to a place where everyone loves and supports basketball again after Baron was fired. If I'm doing my old man yelling at cloud routine, I'm not pointing it at the die-hards - but the reality is that "die-hard" number is low for our fan base (and mainly located on this board). Even some of the "die-hards" on here were saying it's foolish to give money to the program because they buy tickets, or they couldn't donate money until Dan brought the program back from the dead.

I also don't ever remember Dan saying he would never go to UConn. Dan told me 2 years ago that he had one job left in him and it was "big." Obviously he and I have differing opinions on "big" but I never played in the Big East in it's heyday, and I didn't grow up in coaching circles. A "big" thing is subjective.

UConn is not a huge rebuild, and with Dan at the helm even less so. For recruiting he can go call Rip Hamilton, Ray Allen, Kemba, or a zillon other NBA guys who love UConn and hit the trail with them. They'll be turned around in 2 years but next year won't be fun for him I'm sure.

Like I said, I get it - it feels to some like Dan "broke" some promise if you only listened to him publicly, but then again I never heard him promise anything publicly. And if you only heard him publicly, and never talked to him privately - how can you be so sure that you knew the guy at all, enough to know what he was promising?

I don't think he's lied to anyone. He's human and he made a tough decision he's conflicted about still. It hurts and I hate that he left, but I'm thankful for where he got us, and because he got us here we'll be fine moving forward.
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

theblueram wrote:That bleacher report says $2.75 annualy for 6. So that is $16.5 for 6 vs $14 for 7. Not a huge difference in money I would say.
I thought it was over 3 mil per year (over the course of the contract), starting at 2.75 next season?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

The school said Hurley has agreed to a six-year deal and will receive a package worth $2.75 million in the first season. The school said further details would be released during a Friday news conference.

The base salary would be much less, with the difference made up through perks such as speaking engagements and media appearances, a UConn official told the AP. The official, not authorized to discuss the deal, spoke on condition of anonymity.

Hurley would be paid from athletic department funds, such as money from tickets and licensing, and not the school's general budget, the official added.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Again, as I said yesterday, if you are like me and want to continue to torture yourself all day you can watch the stream of Hurley's UConn press conference on Facebook live. I'm starting to feel like it's the day after my girlfriend broke up with me and I am hiding in the bushes outside the restaurant spying while she is out on her first date with her new boyfriend.

fb.com/uconnmbb
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote:Again, as I said yesterday, if you are like me and want to continue to torture yourself all day you can watch the stream of Hurley's UConn press conference on Facebook live. I'm starting to feel like it's the day after my girlfriend broke up with me and I am hiding in the bushes outside the restaurant spying while she is out on her first date with her new boyfriend.

fb.com/uconnmbb
Hard pass. Not a glutton for punishment. Onward and upward.
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I liked when Dan said in yesterday’s interview that he would never leave the Northeast but then admitted to considering UCONN and Pitt on Monday night. How long was the list of schools he had in his desk any way? Was Pitt on the list?
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

adam914 wrote:Again, as I said yesterday, if you are like me and want to continue to torture yourself all day you can watch the stream of Hurley's UConn press conference on Facebook live. I'm starting to feel like it's the day after my girlfriend broke up with me and I am hiding in the bushes outside the restaurant spying while she is out on her first date with her new boyfriend.

fb.com/uconnmbb
thanks, but I have needle and an eyeball that needs stickin
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

sandman012 wrote:

fb.com/uconnmbb
thanks, but I have needle and an eyeball that needs stickin
Pass it this way when you're done!
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

fb.com/uconnmbb
The best way to get over the pain of a breakup is to block that person from social media and not keep tabs on them. Otherwise, it's like pouring salt in the wound
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ram1019 wrote:

fb.com/uconnmbb
The best way to get over the pain of a breakup is to block that person from social media and not keep tabs on them. Otherwise, it's like pouring salt in the wound
You're not down with the "hide in the bushes outside the restaurant" approach?
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

With Eric youncofski presumably going to uconn with Hurley. Is TJ the most logical dbo for next year?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I like Mark Schmidt as a coach but I don't think he is the guy to dig Pitt out of the hole they are in, especially in the ACC.

Stallings left them with Baron-esque situation all while in a much tougher conference.

Good luck to whoever takes that gig.

And this from Rothstein....

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Okay, back to pizza - all you f'ers had me craving it all week, so got a personal pizza from Comella's in Westwood, MA.
pizza.jpg
With that and a gallon of ice cream, I'll watch the DH UConn presser. (j/k)
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'm watching, but it's so strange that the President of UConn is gushing while they have unfinished business with Ollie.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

First mention of Final 4 just 3 minutes into the opening President remarks.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I'm watching, but it's so strange that the President of UConn is gushing while they have unfinished business with Ollie.
And the very first thing out of her mouth was to talk about Jim Calhoun...
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I hate myself so I am watching this.

I am starting to change my opinion. Oh my God this woman is the WORST.

They'll support him until they don't. Like they did to Ollie.

God damnit Dan. You could've built this shit here.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What a freakin hack of a President. Literally she makes Dooley look like Winston Churchill. She was basically the opposite of big time.
What she said came across as inauthentic as possible.
3 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I may or may not be watching this from the bushes outside with a gallon of ice cream
7 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Now a history lesson on how awesome Calhoun was....

a mention of Ollie!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:First mention of Final 4 just 3 minutes into the opening President remarks.
Pretty sure Thorr mentioned it sooner. 8-)
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

So this is the Calhoun fest?

Good God Dan, you stepped out of Bobby and your Dad's shadow to step into Jim Calhouns. Good luck man.
9 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote:I hate myself so I am watching this.

That's what I keep saying. I'll watch later. Just b/c I'm curious.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

1 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Said it before...Calhoun runs the place and URI will play UConn when he says it's ok.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

just coughed up some vomit... Oh Dan... man
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:I hate myself so I am watching this.

yup, that's why my reaction was anger. He's being led astray and is showing some naivety in all this. He seems to think they'll treat him different than Ollie, when reality is they wont. It's win or adios.

I'm also afraid he's gonna be sorry when we realizes he wont have the amount of control he likes. It's not going to be an equal partnership like here with Dooley and Thorr. He will also have to serve other masters, such as Calhoun. I can see him hating being just another cook in a crowded kitchen., or even worse someone else's puppet

Worst of all, especially for how he takes things to heart, is the backlash/heat he's gonna have there. Every little thing that goes wrong is going to be harped on like its the end of the world. Every time he loses a close game, every time he gets blown out, every time he loses to someone they see as below them, every time he loses out on a recruit...the flood of negativity will come. That's going to wear on him, a lot.

Then again, money and confidence can cloud the best of judgements.
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

TruePoint wrote:
eli#10 wrote:I think we now know why Andrea was crying early Saturday night as she and Dan were walking through the lobby of the Doubletree. The lobby was full of fans cheering them on as they walked to the bus taking them to the airport for the charter flight home.

I think she knew at that time that the URI gig was over.
Andrea had been a mess for the better part of the last three weeks, for whatever its worth. I think she was crying every time she was seen in public. In the locker room, in the hotels, everywhere.
This was the reason I thought he would stay - I can see why his wife does not want to move to eastern Connecticut. Hasn’t Dan heard of “happy wife, happy life” - wish her well because I get the sense she did not want to leave.
1 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Yup, they are going to chew him up and spit him out of he doesn't succeed quickly over there
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Tim Benz interviews Bill Koch on Hurley:

Towards the end, Koch was asked if he thought Hurley thought he maxed out on potential at URI. Koch responded that in two years Hurley could potentially have his best team.
Last edited by steviep123 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

#FAMILY

and you sounded soooo sincere when you stared into that camera and lectured on the ncaa podium

i will NEVER forget that
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I can't wait to read the UConn board when they are in a close game and the PG just pounds the ball just pass half court with nobody moving until there is 10 seconds left, then everybody scrambles to get a desperation shot off and it misses...
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

It's just odd...to see Dan in awe of something.

He's different here. It's apparent this really was his dream job, but damn. I really hope he doesn't get spit out. Like he's not commanding and telling people how it needs to be done there. He needed to do that here. I thought he was at his best when he was running shit.

We'll see how he does handling the "weight" of the expectations he feels UConn adds.

God this all sucks.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It's going to take me a week to sort through all my emotions from watching this fucking press conference.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I think the most hurtful thing I could've heard was Dan saying he thought this could've been the job he stayed at forever.

Jesus Christ.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Andrea talked him out of others jobs in the last couple of years. She couldn't do it this time.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

bottom line: could have built something here vs being in the shadow at UConn

granted if he wins there he could give two sh*ts about that

but he could of been THE MAN here

i turned it on and watched for 3 mins then i felt like hurling

i too am from CT and hafta see this all over the place now

so disappointing - i thought he would be different

jokes on me
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

When i watch the video, I get nauseous seeing the UConn logos, and Husky pin on his suit. When I just listen to Dan, I understand this is really, truly that one big job he told some of us about.
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I have no remorseful feelings for Hurley.. Love what he did for us but his ego took him to UConn... He's a big boy.. If he goofed its on him no one else.. If he succeeds he's a hero which further fuels the beast that is his ego
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Sounds like he will take Cox with him if David is not named URI head coach.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:Sounds like he will take Cox with him if David is not named URI head coach.
Can't say I blame him.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ATPTourFan wrote:When i watch the video, I get nauseous seeing the UConn logos, and Husky pin on his suit. When I just listen to Dan, I understand this is really, truly that one big job he told some of us about.
I've never seen Dan excited like he is. It just breaks my heart. Like on one side I'm happy. I'm also broken up because it's like seeing someone you care about being happier with someone else. This is just knives.

But at the same time - how does Dan change now? Like he's a chip-on-the-shoulder guy. That underdog thing fit here. Now he's at the place he's always viewed as "tops."

I want to call him a fraud but I can't. I just hate all of this.

God damnit if we were in a different fucking draw we'd be playing in the Elite 8 tomorrow.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

But no mention of Moore....
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Watching the press conference made it so obvious this has been his dream job for quite some time. He said it about 5/6 times. No matter what Thorr offered, we had no chance of keeping him. The only reason it took so long was because he was dragging his feet on telling the players.
1 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Moore is sitting there in the audience with Eric Y.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ATPTourFan wrote:Sounds like he will take Cox with him if David is not named URI head coach.
What makes you say that?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

DC_Rams wrote:
What makes you say that?
Because he specifically mentioned him
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:
What makes you say that?
Dan Hurley's words 5 minutes ago.
0 x