The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by bmat07 »

In reading Kevin's article on Hurley in the projo today, his comment towards the end about former URI coaches leaving for better gigs got me thinking. Someone told me that Skinner was let go to bring in Harrick. I asked Kevin this and he replied saying he was not fired, and that he wanted an extension but was still under contract when he jumped to a more lucrative spot at BC.

Anyone know what really happened with Skinner with URI? I dont think anyone ever actually said that he was fired, but it seems a little too convenient on how we managed to get Harrick post Skinner.

I just hope we learn from the past and dont make the same mistake again with our next HC. At least Harrick did give us an Elite 8, first A10 championship, and a 1st rd draft pick out of it :)---I felt we never really recovered from all that post Harrick drama until Hurley.

Go Rhody!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody72 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:3 years at the earliest. WTF?!
When DH was hired what were you saying about how long it would take URI to return to the dance?
Jesus. Dan Hurley inherited a dumpster fire. Cox or whoever coaches this team next year is walking into a turn key operation with a loaded (if young) roster led by guys who have won big games.

People talking about .500 records and lifetime rebuilds....this isn't a rebuilding job. I want to slam my head on my desk reading this nonsense.
14 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TP, calm down brother. We are all entitled to our viewpoints, even if they contradict yours my man. I simply see it different than you.
Last edited by DC_Rams 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:
When DH was hired what were you saying about how long it would take URI to return to the dance?
Jesus. Dan Hurley inherited a dumpster fire. Cox or whoever coaches this team next year is walking into a turn key operation with a loaded (if young) roster led by guys who have won big games.

People talking about .500 records and lifetime rebuilds....this isn't a rebuilding job. I want to slam my head on my desk reading this nonsense.
Agree TruePoint that the situation is not as grim as some people are making it sound. I do think the situation is more similar to what Skinner built after leaving vs. when JD came in post Harrick.

I'd love the idea to have either Cox or a young coach come in that we can get 4-6+ yrs out of at URI as opposed to bringing in a "Harrick situation/type" coach (i.e. Pitino). Let history be our guide here and not ruin a great program that we currently have.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:TP, calm down brother. We are all entitled to our viewpoints, even if they contradict yours my man. I simply see it different than you.
Everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint. I guess I just don't understand the basis for your viewpoint (not to single you out, there are other people here saying similar things, Rhody72 among them). Maybe you can help me understand by clarifying where you stand on a couple different components of expectations for next year:

1. I think theblueram made the point - what would your expectations be if Hurley was the coach next year? A .500 record?

2. Assuming you think this team wouldn't be a .500 team under Hurley, if the difference between what you would've expected from Dan and what you expect from Cox is significant, how can you support giving the job to Cox?

3. If you say you would have expected a .500 record even if Hurley was the coach, can you identify the A-10 teams that you think would have a better starting five than Dowtin, Russell, Thompson, Harris and Langevine? Should be at least 8 or 9 of them if your expectations are correct.

Last point: typically new coaches get a little while to prove themselves, mostly because the roster building can be a challenge especially when they are taking on a situation in which the last coach was fired because the team was bad. But in a case where the team is not bad and the roster coming back is young but very talented and not without important experience, that same courtesy doesn't make any sense. It seems particularly strange to me that you, as maybe the person most fully endorsing Cox for the job, would take the position that they might be bad for a couple of years when that seems to undercut the best argument in favor of Cox getting the job. Personally, I want Cox to get it because I want to keep building and not start over from scratch. If we are going to start over, then I might be less enthusiastic about Cox.
5 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

If anyone "really enjoyed" worrying if the coach will stay or leave every spring, Pitino would be a great hire. He'd be looking to move on quicker than Harrick did. Plus, there woudn't be a waitress in the State that would feel safe.

Knowing nothing, I think I'm a Cox man. He could turn out to be an even better coach than Dan. It is possible.
Even as a pessimist, I can the talent on this team. I think if Cox is hired, the transition would be pretty smooth, unlike previous times.
3 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

bmat07 wrote:In reading Kevin's article on Hurley in the projo today, his comment towards the end about former URI coaches leaving for better gigs got me thinking. Someone told me that Skinner was let go to bring in Harrick. I asked Kevin this and he replied saying he was not fired, and that he wanted an extension but was still under contract when he jumped to a more lucrative spot at BC.

Anyone know what really happened with Skinner with URI? I dont think anyone ever actually said that he was fired, but it seems a little too convenient on how we managed to get Harrick post Skinner.

I just hope we learn from the past and dont make the same mistake again with our next HC. At least Harrick did give us an Elite 8, first A10 championship, and a 1st rd draft pick out of it :)---I felt we never really recovered from all that post Harrick drama until Hurley.

Go Rhody!
Al's contract was ending and URI wasn't really giving him a well deserved raise and Al called their bluff and his agent went and negotiated the deal with BC. URI realized at the last minute they had screwed up and tried to up it's offer but Al told them to go pound sand.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bmat07 wrote:In reading Kevin's article on Hurley in the projo today, his comment towards the end about former URI coaches leaving for better gigs got me thinking. Someone told me that Skinner was let go to bring in Harrick. I asked Kevin this and he replied saying he was not fired, and that he wanted an extension but was still under contract when he jumped to a more lucrative spot at BC.

Go Rhody!
Skinner went for the money at Boston College - he was not fired - it was money. Harrick went for the money at Georgia. Penders went for the money at Texas. Hurley went for the money at UCONN
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:TP, calm down brother. We are all entitled to our viewpoints, even if they contradict yours my man. I simply see it different than you.
Everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint. I guess I just don't understand the basis for your viewpoint (not to single you out, there are other people here saying similar things, Rhody72 among them). Maybe you can help me understand by clarifying where you stand on a couple different components of expectations for next year:

1. I think theblueram made the point - what would your expectations be if Hurley was the coach next year? A .500 record?

2. Assuming you think this team wouldn't be a .500 team under Hurley, if the difference between what you would've expected from Dan and what you expect from Cox is significant, how can you support giving the job to Cox?

3. If you say you would have expected a .500 record even if Hurley was the coach, can you identify the A-10 teams that you think would have a better starting five than Dowtin, Russell, Thompson, Harris and Langevine? Should be at least 8 or 9 of them if your expectations are correct.

Last point: typically new coaches get a little while to prove themselves, mostly because the roster building can be a challenge especially when they are taking on a situation in which the last coach was fired because the team was bad. But in a case where the team is not bad and the roster coming back is young but very talented and not without important experience, that same courtesy doesn't make any sense. It seems particularly strange to me that you, as maybe the person most fully endorsing Cox for the job, would take the position that they might be bad for a couple of years when that seems to undercut the best argument in favor of Cox getting the job. Personally, I want Cox to get it because I want to keep building and not start over from scratch. If we are going to start over, then I might be less enthusiastic about Cox.
I’m a pessimist TP, don’t kill me man. I’m the type of guy that whenever I set my expectations too high, I get upset when they aren’t met. Now I’m a aim for the moon, fall amongst the stars type of guy. I’m starting to come around to see your point about the roster, but I still think double bye aspirations are lofty. Maybe single bye or Top 5 in the league and ill be content. How’s that?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Lol. Getting there. Give me a couple more days and we'll have you in the right head space.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Is it guaranteed that Harris isn’t being plucked as we speak by a P5 school that previously recruited him?

IMHO take Harris off this team next year and we’re all likely throwing a wild guess against the wall in regards to what this team will be and our next coach will be very limited in the system/ plays he can run.

The dust needs to settle quite a bit before we can have that heated argument...

I’m staying positive but after the recent days kick in the head Rose Colored Glasses wearing Captain Optimist has left the building for now.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote:

Go Rhody!
Al's contract was ending and URI wasn't really giving him a well deserved raise and Al called their bluff and his agent went and negotiated the deal with BC. URI realized at the last minute they had screwed up and tried to up it's offer but Al told them to go pound sand.
If my memory serves, URI and Al had come to an agreement, but it never got put on paper and the contract signed. This allowed BC to swoop in.

Harrick ended up with the same deal that they initially offered Al.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramfan85 wrote:Knowing nothing, I think I'm a Cox man.
Phrasing!
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:Is it guaranteed that Harris isn’t being plucked as we speak by a P5 school that previously recruited him?

IMHO take Harris off this team next year and we’re all likely throwing a wild guess against the wall in regards to what this team will be and our next coach will be very limited in the system/ plays he can run.

The dust needs to settle quite a bit before we can have that heated argument...

I’m staying positive but after the recent days kick in the head Rose Colored Glasses wearing Captain Optimist has left the building for now.
No, it is not guaranteed. It would not be unheard of to lose a recruit like Harris. Still, I'm certainly not planning on losing him. This is a great fit for him to walk into a situation where he will be a day 1, four year starter on a team that will compete for a tournament bid every year that he is here, and will be likely tournament team 3 of the 4 years. Good culture, good facilities, good conference. My feeling is that if we shore up the coaching situation quickly and in the right way, the entire roster that we were expecting for next year will be in tact, plus we still have another scholarship to use.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:

Go Rhody!
Skinner went for the money at Boston College - he was not fired - it was money. Harrick went for the money at Georgia. Penders went for the money at Texas. Hurley went for the money at UCONN
Not true. Al & URI had agreed to an extension in principle. It was just never signed and it allowed BC an opportunity to sweep. Had they signed the contract, Al would have been here longer. Al had said publicly he wanted to be "the Black Frank Keaney." This was not a lie.
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I not 100% sure, but I think the Harris situation is very simple. If Cox is here, Harris is. If Cox isn't here, Harris isn't. Harris came here because of his close relationship with Cox, and then Dan sealing the deal. If neither Dan nor Cox are here, I don't see Harris being here.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody72 wrote:
Big difference. Our program is light years ahead of when Dan arrived. The new coach already has a top 6 a10 core.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:I not 100% sure, but I think the Harris situation is very simple. If Cox is here, Harris is. If Cox isn't here, Harris isn't. Harris came here because of his close relationship with Cox, and then Dan sealing the deal. If neither Dan nor Cox are here, I don't see Harris being here.
This is consistent with my understanding.
2 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

DC_Rams wrote:Dre, have to give the new coach a mid-sized leash. Next year, success is .500 or better, after that, comfortably over .500, year 3, no more than 10 losses...
if all current recruiting class comes, I have much higher expectations than that
0 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I know golocalprov can be a disease sometimes but this has a decent breakdown of coaching options.

http://m.golocalprov.com/sports/Who-Wil ... -Potential
"as gorhode island first reported last week...."

:lol:
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Ugh man, Eric you too?
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Puck Frovidence wrote:Ugh man, Eric you too?
But we're keeping Dave, Ty, and the players. I'll take that.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Blue Man wrote:
Totally. Just bums me out bc he's an actual alum.
3 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Blue Man wrote:

Blue man- any idea what happens with tj?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Eric too now. This is almost as bad as the clone wars.
3 x
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Just finished watching the press conference introducing Hurley to the UConn community. When asked about developing his staff at UConn, Dan made it clear it depends on how other dominos fall into place. In other words, if David Cox does not get the URI head coach job, he will join Hurley at UConn.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:Just finished watching the press conference introducing Hurley to the UConn community. When asked about developing his staff at UConn, Dan made it clear it depends on how other dominos fall into place. In other words, if David Cox does not get the URI head coach job, he will join Hurley at UConn.
As is being discussed in the Coaching Carousel thread, he didn't just hint at it. He named Cox specifically and said who is on his staff depends on whether Cox gets the URI job.

My point is that it doesn't really matter - either Cox gets the URI job or he leaves. If he leaves, I don't really care where he goes. But he definitely is not staying here as an assistant coach.
4 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I didn't say he hinted at it (e.g. "Dan made it clear"), so stop trying to read into other people's posts what you want to see or stifling opinions that don't match yours.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

sevegny7 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

If it's Cox he's staying - along with the rest of the staff that didn't go to Storrs today.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah, I honestly and truly do not know what you are talking about. I think you're reading something into my post that is not there, not the other way around. I wasn't disagreeing with you, correcting you, stifling you, or otherwise doing anything other than agreeing with what you said and adding my thoughts to it.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Cooley talking up Cox...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RamIt! wrote:Cooley talking up Cox...

I could care less what Ed Cooley thinks.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote:

I love how everyone has an opinion on what we should do. Again, keeping the roster/recruits in tact is a bonus, but should NOT be the sole or most important reason for hiring Cox. I do think Cox should be the guy, but for other reasons. Roster is the extra bonus.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Blue Man wrote:
sevegny7 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

If it's Cox he's staying - along with the rest of the staff that didn't go to Storrs today.
Hope Marshall stays too.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Misleading stuff there from YurView - it was Finkelstein who discussed all things URI, Hurley, and David Cox. Cooley's time on the podcast was over well before that segment began.
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

I love how everyone has an opinion on what we should do. Again, keeping the roster/recruits in tact is a bonus, but should NOT be the sole or most important reason for hiring Cox. I do think Cox should be the guy, but for other reasons. Roster is the extra bonus.
To be fair, the Hurley/UConn/Next Rhody Coach part started at the 20 minute mark, after Cooley was done talking. The thoughts on Cox were Finklestein's, not Cooley's.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Kind of a shame - despite him being PCs head coach I think Cooley is a really intelligent, insightful guy and I would be interested to hear what he has to say.

However, it would be beyond strange for another coach to openly comment about a rival school's vacant head coaching position, let alone endorsing a particular candidate.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m confused, so Cooley never actually said anything about Cox?
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

DC_Rams wrote:I’m confused, so Cooley never actually said anything about Cox?
Correct. He was on at the beginning of the podcast being interviewed by Finkelstein discussing PCs season. At the end of the podcast it was only Finkelstein discussing Hurley, URI, and Cox by himself. No Cooley.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

DC_Rams wrote:I’m confused, so Cooley never actually said anything about Cox?
Not in the podcast, no
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

steviep123 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Agree with this sentiment. I was going to post something very similar when I saw this. My own personal opinion is that I would like to see someone that is backing him thinks he can be a good or very good head coach. I think he can. As I stated before, yes apparently very good recruiting connections, he is a very sharp guy who I think would represent the school very well and while I am certain he would put his own touch on things, I think he would be much more able to transition this team going forward and keeping the many of the objectives Dan had for moving the program forward. As Stevie said it would be a major bonus if he could keep roster mostly in tact, but that is not the only reason I like him to be the man

I saw posts here earlier stating that Dan Hurley shouldn't dictate or give his approval for Cox moving up because he is no longer tied to the program. So why would anyone care what Ed Cooley thinks if he has an opinion at all.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

Agree with this sentiment. I was going to post something very similar when I saw this. My own personal opinion is that I would like to see someone that is backing him thinks he can be a good or very good head coach. I think he can. As I stated before, yes apparently very good recruiting connections, he is a very sharp guy who I think would represent the school very well and while I am certain he would put his own touch on things, I think he would be much more able to transition this team going forward and keeping the many of the objectives Dan had for moving the program forward. As Stevie said it would be a major bonus if he could keep roster mostly in tact, but that is not the only reason I like him to be the man

I saw posts here earlier stating that Dan Hurley shouldn't dictate or give his approval for Cox moving up because he is no longer tied to the program. So why would anyone care what Ed Cooley thinks if he has an opinion at all.
Yep
Cooley should stay completely out of it.let Thorr and his team make the decision.
No influence
Cooley should focus more on how to win an NCAA turbans this game
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by NJ03 »

Apologies if this was posted already but Hurley was just interviewed on the afternoon drive with Carlin, Bart, and Maggie here in NYC (formerly the Mike Francesca show). Some interesting tidbits
- Hurley said telling his current players about the move was the hardest thing he’s ever had to do in his coaching career. Praised his players here and how hard they’ve worked for him and said they’ve done everything he asked for. Said they’re a special group and the future is bright
- a few years into RI he never envisioned himself leaving but UConn is one of the only few jobs he would have left RI for. Idolized Calhoun and the UConn program growing up and in college and always looked at UConn as a gold standard brand
- Said he would not rerecruit any of the players that made commitments to RI. Said he encouraged all to honor their commitment and pushed for Dave Cox to get the job and said the future is extremely bright if he gets the job. I read that as if Cox gets the job he won’t touch anyone, if he doesn’t it’s fair game.
- Duke is the best team in the tournament. He really liked the way we were playing and would have liked his chances to beat any 1 or 2 seed this year except Duke who was a matchup nightmare. Picked them to win it all convincingly.
- Hurley made a comment about how UConn and URI could very well see each other in a sweet 16 within the next few years. Maggie suggested they play a few home and homes in the non conference which would get plenty of national buzz which Hurley sort of just laughed off and didn’t comment on.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I am burnt on this Hurley exit thing, for many that drum beat will continue, my limited off seasonal focus is now on the wait and see who is hired, and most importantly showing up at the presser intro of the new coach.......as I did with the Hurley one, show up to support the program......Go Rhody......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NJ03 wrote:Apologies if this was posted already but Hurley was just interviewed on the afternoon drive with Carlin, Bart, and Maggie here in NYC (formerly the Mike Francesca show). Some interesting tidbits
- Hurley said telling his current players about the move was the hardest thing he’s ever had to do in his coaching career. Praised his players here and how hard they’ve worked for him and said they’ve done everything he asked for. Said they’re a special group and the future is bright
- a few years into RI he never envisioned himself leaving but UConn is one of the only few jobs he would have left RI for. Idolized Calhoun and the UConn program growing up and in college and always looked at UConn as a gold standard brand
- Said he would not rerecruit any of the players that made commitments to RI. Said he encouraged all to honor their commitment and pushed for Dave Cox to get the job and said the future is extremely bright if he gets the job. I read that as if Cox gets the job he won’t touch anyone, if he doesn’t it’s fair game.
- Duke is the best team in the tournament. He really liked the way we were playing and would have liked his chances to beat any 1 or 2 seed this year except Duke who was a matchup nightmare. Picked them to win it all convincingly.
- Hurley made a comment about how UConn and URI could very well see each other in a sweet 16 within the next few years. Maggie suggested they play a few home and homes in the non conference which would get plenty of national buzz which Hurley sort of just laughed off and didn’t comment on.
Is there a link to the interview?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

What about accepting someone like Fatts as a transfer?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NJ03 wrote:Apologies if this was posted already but Hurley was just interviewed on the afternoon drive with Carlin, Bart, and Maggie here in NYC (formerly the Mike Francesca show). Some interesting tidbits
There was another post about speculation that another school could be talking to Harris right now. That would be a major recruiting violation as would Dan rerecruiting them at this point. A recruit that has signed a NLOI (which all 4 have) would need to request a release (none of them have) and then URI would have to grant them their release. URI would grant the release.

So NJ your read of Hurley’s comment about not rerecruiting is a completly empty promise (if your read is correct). He can’t recruit them without a release and none of them are going to ask for a release if Cox becomes the HC.

Does he care about URI or just Dave Cox. I think we know the answer to that.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Blue Man wrote:
sevegny7 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

So who exactly is the rest of the staff besides Cox and Boswell as assistant, TJ, and who else?
0 x