The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:How old is Cox? Seems he's a smart guy. Still very interested in his staff and who he hires. That is the fun stuff.

I also wonder how much charisma he has. And if he is Al Skinner who wants to be here or Jim Harrick who leaves in the night.

And lastly, would he relish the opportunity to destroy Uconn in the future? URI and PCee are still in position to own New England basketball.
Cox is very charismatic. Should have seen him perform during the Rammy’s award show at the post season team banquet.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I know there is no such thing as tampering in the world of college basketball coaches. One of the things that bothers me about this process is that there is very little doubt in my mind that that FUCK Calhoun was whispering in Dan's ear long before the season ended. Calhoun also was very tight with Kevin Ollie and that relationship was totally destroyed before the firing. It would not surprise me at all if Calhoun (or maybe it should be CalGOON) starting the undercurrent with the powers to be at Uconn that Ollie was in over his head. Calhoun was a bully and arrogant as a coach, was caught cheating in recruiting and did not care at all about the academics of his players. Why would Dan want to be connected in any way to this bum?
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Very good interview. He was clearly very emotional.

He mentioned how URI has a lot of good young players on the team and coming in and that they should be okay. Does that mean he won't be trying to get those players to come to UConn?

I guess if he doesn't take those players away I will feel a little less annoyed about this. I just wish it wasn't UConn.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I'd be very interested in Beilein's son. I think that John Beilein is one of the best coaches in the country.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just saying, the next coach is going to have to meet the expectations of URI now. And it is a short leash.
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

I said this on the recruiting threads but I'll say it again...

In my almost 20 years as a Rhody fan and following the program very closely, I have "my guys". We all do. Guys that we look back on and are proud that they were part of the program. There have been a lot of them. Not just necessarily for their play on the court, but because of the young men they became and the way they carry/carried themselves. There are too many to name, but I think you guys know where I'm going with this.

If Dana Tate and Tyrese Martin do right by this program and stick with it like they said they would today, as long as this program does right by them...then those are my guys for life.

With all of the "wait and see" and "source" crap we've dealt with in the past week, they both came out guns blazing for Rhody within hours of this news breaking. Sure, they know a lot more than us and probably knew something beforehand, but still...it means a lot to this Rhody fan. And the fact that they're both going to be absolute fucking ballers doesn't hurt either.
14 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

mstyles22 wrote:I said this on the recruiting threads but I'll say it again...

In my almost 20 years as a Rhody fan and following the program very closely, I have "my guys". We all do. Guys that we look back on and are proud that they were part of the program. There have been a lot of them. Not just necessarily for their play on the court, but because of the young men they became and the way they carry/carried themselves. There are too many to name, but I think you guys know where I'm going with this.
TBH this is the way I feel about TJ. Loved his grit especially after staying with the team and was thrilled when he came on board. Glad to have him on the bench now more than ever.
1 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Good interview. I truly believe Rhody is a place that Dan loves and will always have a place in his heart. At the same time I didn't like how he basically said he was going to UConn and then was surprised by the URI offer and sort of hesitated before saying it was an "easy choice" before that counter offer came in. It leads me to believe that there were 100% backchannels recruiting Hurley during the season and that his mind was made up well before the end of the Duke game which also backs my theory as to why he was so visibly emotional that game. Just seems sort of dirty.
9 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Is it public knowledge how much we're currently paying Cox? I know this is very unlikely but is there any chance we could hire Oats as a top high paid assistant head coach and move Cox to HC? Or the same with Preston instead of Oats? Spread the wealth to secure very good coaches/recruiters...
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I feel bad for him. I'm sure he has or had the "now or never" thing kicking around. I feel bad because it seems he is wrapped up in the momentum. 10 years from now if he doesn't win a title or if URI elevates. He will look back and wonder about the influences he had and how they pushed him. He will recognize that URI head basketball coach for Dan Hurley is a pretty cool thing.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

RIhoopz14 wrote:Is it public knowledge how much we're currently paying Cox? I know this is very unlikely but is there any chance we could hire Oats as a top high paid assistant head coach and move Cox to HC? Or the same with Preston instead of Oats? Spread the wealth to secure very good coaches/recruiters...

I would love Murphy back. It is fun that era is continually recognized for their accomplishments and everyone likes them around.
2 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

That full DH interview was tough to watch, clearly an emotional day for us all. I echo most of the same feelings of why Uconn, being irritated with the likely foul play during the last few weeks, and mostly the sadness of knowing what could have been.
Time heels all things but even with the wound being fresh I still am grateful for what he did for the school we all love.

Also:
watching Loyola Chicago pick apart Nevada at the moment and while I do not know much about their coach(Porter Moser) wondering if he could be worth a closer look:

- seem well coached with good movement on offense
-well organized zone defense that seems to be frustrating Nevada (personally biased in that fashion as always have loved a good zone or atleast ability to mix it in)
Last edited by gorhody89 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Clapton is God
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RIhoopz14 wrote:Is it public knowledge how much we're currently paying Cox? I know this is very unlikely but is there any chance we could hire Oats as a top high paid assistant head coach and move Cox to HC? Or the same with Preston instead of Oats? Spread the wealth to secure very good coaches/recruiters...
Oats is making $600k. a year. No way we are paying assistants that much
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

No HC is taking an assistant job after winning a tournament game. AGAINST ARIZONA NO LESS.
4 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Hurley before Cox was 22-39. Since Cox came, Hurley was 91-43. Obviously a lot of other factors at play but it’s something.
7 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Could Cox be Parcell's Belichick?
7 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Preston was already the Associate Head Coach here and left for a better position at Creighton. Why would he take a step back and come back to his old job here?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote:Could Cox be Parcell's Belichick?
That is the dream. If that happens wow.
3 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

adam914 wrote:Preston was already the Associate Head Coach here and left for a better position at Creighton. Why would he take a step back and come back to his old job here?
Look I'm just throwing out hypothetical scenarios. Since Preston left URI basketball has definitely generated more money, Preston is beloved here and would call rhody home, and you never know how much money and happiness factors into ones life and decision making. Theres always a chance some people are willing to take less money to end up in a better scenario for them personally, whatever it is that makes them happy
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote:Preston was already the Associate Head Coach here and left for a better position at Creighton. Why would he take a step back and come back to his old job here?
Not saying he would, but...money? I think the assistant pool that Dan would have had next year is about 3X what it was when he left. This is also a better job than it was when he left. It would probably be awkward for him coming in to work for his replacement, though. I think if Preston is ever on our sideline again, it will be as HC. That is a guy who would maybe stay for life. Hope he gets his starter gig soon.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Also, this is exactly what you DON'T do during a coaching search.... make assumptions and not doing due diligence. I would be surprised if Preston DIDN'T get a call at all to see how he feels about coming back here in any capacity, whether realistic or not. We can talk about HC all we want, but filling in key staff roles to keep recruiting and coaching at a high level is very important
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Preston left for BC initially, then to Creighton. Is he Associate HC at Creighton?

Adam - I love your new tagline!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIhoopz14 wrote:
Also, this is exactly what you DON'T do during a coaching search.... make assumptions and not doing due diligence. I would be surprised if Preston DIDN'T get a call at all to see how he feels about coming back here in any capacity, whether realistic or not. We can talk about HC all we want, but filling in key staff roles to keep recruiting and coaching at a high level is very important
That's fine, give him a call, I'm not the one doing the hiring so no need to worry about my assumptions. I'm just saying, it would seem like a weird decision for him to make. If it was just about being in a better position here for him personally I would think he wouldn't have left in the first place.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Preston is the 2nd assistant at Creighton. Not sure what he's making there.

Would he come back in his old position if he were offered a lot more than he made here before? Say double or more?

One thing's for sure, we would have a boffo recruiting team between Cox and Murphy.

Murphy left mostly because he and Carr had issues.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steviep123 wrote:
Preston left for BC initially, then to Creighton. Is he Associate HC at Creighton?

Adam - I love your new tagline!
That's right, totally forgot about the BC stop.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

rambone 78 wrote: Murphy left mostly because he and Carr had issues.
How is that even possible?

I mean, Danny said they were FAMILY.

:lol:
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
Not saying he would, but...money? I think the assistant pool that Dan would have had next year is about 3X what it was when he left. This is also a better job than it was when he left. It would probably be awkward for him coming in to work for his replacement, though. I think if Preston is ever on our sideline again, it will be as HC. That is a guy who would maybe stay for life. Hope he gets his starter gig soon.
I guess, if he was made associate head coach here with more money he would be making as much/more than at Creighton, it would just seem like an unlikely move to me. I do agree that if he is ever back on our sideline again its as a head coach (after head coach experience elsewhere first).
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Preston is the 2nd assistant at Creighton. Not sure what he's making there.

Would he come back in his old position if he were offered a lot more than he made here before? Say double or more?

One thing's for sure, we would have a boffo recruiting team between Cox and Murphy.

If Rod was still with us he could comment a lot more, but Carr was apparently undercutting Preston behind his back. It was awful.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

the_one_mike wrote:
rambone 78 wrote: Murphy left mostly because he and Carr had issues.
How is that even possible?

I mean, Danny said they were FAMILY.

:lol:
Preston left because he got two years guaranteed at $250/yr from BC, which is way more than URI was paying him. And I think it's underappreciated what a second guaranteed year means to an assistant coach in college. Especially four years ago. Today of all days let's remember that it's always about the money.
2 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Cox as HC with Preston as Asst HC? LETS FUCKING GO
3 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

adam914 wrote:That's fine, give him a call, I'm not the one doing the hiring so no need to worry about my assumptions. I'm just saying, it would seem like a weird decision for him to make. If it was just about being in a better position here for him personally I would think he wouldn't have left in the first place.
Preston was in a much different place financially when he left URI than he is now, thats my point. He was very underpaid (relatively) here and thats one of the reasons why he left... Now he's financially stable and once your at that point it could change things.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steviep123 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Preston is the 2nd assistant at Creighton. Not sure what he's making there.

If Rod was still with us he could comment a lot more, but Carr was apparently undercutting Preston behind his back. It was awful.

Such a shame! I vividly remember how fondly Rod always spoke of Preston when he was on DH's coaching staff.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Should we be concerned that two of our recruits reaffirmed their commitment to URI right after the news broke, but still radio silence from Fatts and Dowtin? Would they need to sit out a year if they transferred to UCONN?
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

It's possible we could get PM back if we get more money in the coaches pool. Take some of that money offered to Hurley and increase the pay that was offered to Cox this year by 25% and we are in the range to make it happen.

That would actually be a pretty ideal scenario. Maybe look at bringing Luke Murray back as associate HC.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NJRhodyFan wrote:Should we be concerned that two of our recruits reaffirmed their commitment to URI right after the news broke, but still radio silence from Fatts and Dowtin? Would they need to sit out a year if they transferred to UCONN?
Fatts Was on IG Live an hour ago in a open gym session with the team. JD definitely is not going anywhere. Been down with Cox since 10th grade.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NJRhodyFan wrote:Should we be concerned that two of our recruits reaffirmed their commitment to URI right after the news broke, but still radio silence from Fatts and Dowtin? Would they need to sit out a year if they transferred to UCONN?
They're on the team so it would be a little weird for them to confirm they are still on the team. I honestly don't think if it is just Moore and Dan going to UConn that we will see a mass exodus. These players are all close to each other and many of them were recruited by Coach Cox and have a strong relationship with him, too. They have friends at school, they're going to be on a pretty good team next year. What Dan does is Dan's business, but I believe the fabric of the team is strong enough that it isn't going to collapse.

I'm anxious to get all of the player and staff personnel stuff out the way and just get back to basketball, too, but unfortunately we are a long way from that.
3 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

DC_Rams wrote:
Fatts Was on IG Live an hour ago in a open gym session with the team. JD definitely is not going anywhere. Been down with Cox since 10th grade.
I hope you’re right. Those two guys are the key components for this team moving forward. Hope they’re all in next season. They also seem like great character guys, and we need that culture. Could be a dominant backcourt on the way, especially when you factor in CT back from injury, plus Harris and Adams (hopefully) on the way in. Yowza!
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Murphy is not coming back to be an assistant for Cox. It just makes no sense for him to do that.

Don't be surprised that if Cox becomes the top guy that Harris comes here with his high school coach as one of our assistants. I would like our chances with the two of them recruiting the DMV region.
2 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:
They're on the team so it would be a little weird for them to confirm they are still on the team. I honestly don't think if it is just Moore and Dan going to UConn that we will see a mass exodus. These players are all close to each other and many of them were recruited by Coach Cox and have a strong relationship with him, too. They have friends at school, they're going to be on a pretty good team next year. What Dan does is Dan's business, but I believe the fabric of the team is strong enough that it isn't going to collapse.

I'm anxious to get all of the player and staff personnel stuff out the way and just get back to basketball, too, but unfortunately we are a long way from that.
You’re right, I guess I meant more of a “can’t wait for next season Rhody nation!” type of message, if that makes sense. And yes, I like how Cox was the recruiter for most of these guys. The bond and mutual respect is already there. Strangely enough, I’m excited for what’s ahead. Obviously bummed we lost a good coach, but the page gets turned. Still a lot in front of us to look forward to.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

So obviously a tough day for everyone involved in rhody nation. Honestly, to bring a positive vibe and light to a very sad and disappointing situation. I can see this being the start of something even more special. If we keep all the players and recruits like most believe to be the case and winning continues with this next wave of rhode island rams (cox turns out to be a great hire). The way these recruits and players responded by believing in us as a fan base....a community...a program.. and the love for the support we have for them will mean the world to each and every one of us. Something that fans will direct their sadness of feeling let down over the past five days will manifest and grow into love from the players like Dana tate and tyrese. With very timely tweets reassuring fans rhody nation is only here to grow and look forward to potentially another wave of great rhody times.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The new HC will choose his assistants. The last thing a new HC wants is his replacement already here.

David Cox has been successful recruiting for others; this doesn't mean he will be successful as a head coach.

Thor has to reach out to potential replacement not wait to see who applies. He knows that. The new HC's application for the job will follow his selection by Thor. That is how it works. When do you think DH applied for the UCONN job?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Fatts and Dowtin would have to sit out a year as a transfer. Tate, Martin & Adams have confirmed NLI's, so I believe they can only move on if we release them, but that would look bad on us not too...

not 100% on Harris, I can't find any confirmation of him actually signing a NLI... he's still free to go anywhere if it's only a verbal commit that he's given.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Rhody72 wrote:The new HC will choose his assistants. The last thing a new HC wants is his replacement already here.
Wasn't Preston carried over from CFL?
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Preston, his wife, and four children are enjoying Nebraska.....His oldest son Preston Jr., is a h.s. freshman, and playing basketball.
......He received a raise when he left BC to go to Creighton. I always felt his time here must have been awkward for him, as he was more of a Thorr hire. His family ties are in Detroit.

......Cox will need two high quality, experienced assistants. I thought of Bob Walsh, but he probably doesn't have the recruiting connections. He might be a good X and O coach. I also remember Jimmy B. telling me he would like to get into coaching. There was a hard worker.....for long shots. Fairfield's Johnson or SCSU's Burrell might come here as assistants. Both lower level head coaches who recruit.

......David Cox and his wife would be great representatives of our program. He has seen a number of programs, and probably has a good idea of what works. He certainly can identify talent.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Harris signed a NLI as well. Everybody needs to relax and let this play out a little. Cox seems to be the guy but if somebody more proven becomes interested, URI would go in that direction and build up.

This program has never had more fans than it does right now, let’s keep this momentum going.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

PS. Tyson Wheeler as an assistant anybody. And let’s hope Boswell stays with Cox if he’s hired instead of going with Dan.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

CTRamfan....you're right....Thorr basically told Baron to hire Preston.

And then Preston turned out to be a great recruiter.

I can still see Preston back here as AHC if Cox wants him....at 300K a year .....and yes I know it's not likely.

I will say, Dan isn't going to poach any players from URI.....that would rub some major salt in the wound.....
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

So I create a thread, it gets locked, and then never unlocked? So this website isn’t about first amendment rights...? Unreal, I told you all that Cox was the name and no one wanted to be real and discuss it... sooo nice work y’all. David Cox is THE ONLY OPTION all it all goes boom and we go back to the Baron era... we all loved that so much, so what the hell. All of you need to understand that Dave is the man for the gig. Thor already knows this, the state always has a policy to post jobs, just look back to when Ty Boswell, Luke Murray, Bobby Hurley got hired... different points in time, but all had a time line. Hopefully Thor finds a way to speed this up!
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NRF, Hear Hear!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:So I create a thread, it gets locked, and then never unlocked? So this website isn’t about first amendment rights...? Unreal, I told you all that Cox was the name and no one wanted to be real and discuss it... sooo nice work y’all. David Cox is THE ONLY OPTION all it all goes boom and we go back to the Baron era... we all loved that so much, so what the hell. All of you need to understand that Dave is the man for the gig. Thor already knows this, the state always has a policy to post jobs, just look back to when Ty Boswell, Luke Murray, Bobby Hurley got hired... different points in time, but all had a time line. Hopefully Thor finds a way to speed this up!
Sorry man. Timing wasn't right when you posted that thread, and I honestly I forgot about it until right now. To be fair, we didn't make this thread either. Someone else made this one right after the Hurley news finally broke. Was not personal to not unlock your thread. Just didn't think of it.
3 x