The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RIFan »

What make this painful is we basically did what he asked and if the trajectory had kept going in the right direction we could have done even more in a couple years. This is the equivalent of losing buzzer beater in the NCAA tourney. It would have been better if the two sides were not even close then you could have ratioanlized it and more easily accepted it. There was no way UConn was getting out bid and embarrassed by URI with the whole basketball world watching...they were going to have the highest bid...so the only way we would have won is if Dan was the man he portrayed himself to be. The emperor has no clothes...
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

URI2006_Andy wrote:I appreciate what Hurley did here. But it bothers me that he knew he was going to UConn no matter what URI’s offer was (and possibly even before the season ended). He was surprised by URI’s offer. He’s going to be even more surprised when URI becomes the top brand in New England.
He going to be real surprised when he doesn't win an NC.
3 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I guess this explains why he "didn't give a crap about another job opening.....He already had his lined up.
9 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It sure seems that way
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:PTI has UConn as one of the upcoming topics
PTI is still on the air?
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Also - already grumblings on CT radio about the state probably having to pay Ollie 10 mil and then jumping right into a 6 year deal for 3 mil per year for Danny. Unlike when Calhoun was there and they had the BEmoney coming in the athletic budget for UConn is heavily subsidized by the state. Better win fast!
2 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Good Luck Dan you’re going to need it.

GO RHODY!
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm not sure which to root for, UConn to fail, or UConn to win, then Hurley leaving them for someone bigger.

Oh who am I kidding. I can't root for UConn. Never had, never will.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I really liked Rodfromcranston
7 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

DC_Rams wrote:http://wpri.com/2018/03/22/dan-hurley-d ... for-uconn/

Dan endorses Cox again in the interview.
I don't know why it makes me feel better that coach looks how I feel, but it does.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Something happened between our VCU road game and the last week of season. That is precisely when Ace, whom obviously is close to the family, changed her tune. I can distinctly remember on twitter, after we beat VCU down there in a game I went to, their fans were all over twitter with "good game Rhody, your coach is gonna leave" and Ace always replied with something to the effect of "I'd be more shocked if he wasn't the coach at URI next year, than if he was" and numerous other hints at Dan being at URI next season. Flash about 2 weeks later and the new posture was "sometimes fans opinion on a job is not the same as the coach's". In between that time Dan's agent, Tom Moore or someone else got to Dan that the Uconn job was his if he wanted it. And that's it for my investigative reports for tonight. Like Dan, I'm closing the book on this chapter. Onward and upward. Go Rhody!
9 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Somebody tell me why it is OBVIOUS that Tom Moore goes with Hurley to UConn? It's only obvious if this plan has been in motion for a while and Moore was involved......BINGO!!!
Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN · 13h13 hours ago
Obviously, former Jim Calhoun assistant Tom Moore will go with Hurley to UConn … but the question now becomes whether URI coach Thorr Bjorn will elevate David Cox or look elsewhere. Cox recruited majority of incoming class for the Rams.
3 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Im disappointed but life goes on. Lost some respect for coach after the details of our offer came out. Time to pen the next chapter in Rhody basketball history
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Here's the deal....if it's a foregone conclusion that Cox will be the coach [and only Thorr and Dooley know this I would think] then why bother to have a search in the first place?

Before I would agree to an interview, I would want to know beforehand if I'm wasting my time?

A sham interview process would not be a good look at all.

Just make up some shit, and name Cox asap.....

Didn't we interview one other guy [Al] when we hired Dan? Anybody else who might have interviewed likely knew Hurley was getting the job.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I certainly hope it’s not a foregone conclusion, and that we do have conversations with multiple candidates. If after that he is the most qualified hire him.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:Here's the deal....if it's a foregone conclusion that Cox will be the coach [and only Thorr and Dooley know this I would think] then why bother to have a search in the first place?

Before I would agree to an interview, I would want to know beforehand if I'm wasting my time?

Didn't we interview one other guy [Al] when we hired Dan? Anybody else who might have interviewed likely knew Hurley was getting the job.

Per state hiring rules, a job cannot be promised. Positions must be publicly posted and all given the opportunity at it. Therefore the process must look like it is being followed.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Hear hear
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:I certainly hope it’s not a foregone conclusion, and that we do have conversations with multiple candidates. If after that he is the most qualified hire him.
I agree. I think there is a very strong likelihood that Coach Cox is the best choice here, all things considered. But, they should always be talking to people for a variety of reasons - not least of which is to measure the interest in the job so you can price it correctly. If there is a process that has to be followed, follow it faithfully. Meet all the people with an open mind. I just don't know what could really happen in an interview that would shake up how you see the candidates all that much.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:Here's the deal....if it's a foregone conclusion that Cox will be the coach [and only Thorr and Dooley know this I would think] then why bother to have a search in the first place?

I believe there’s a state-mandated procedure that needs to be followed. Thorr’s Hands are tied.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

rhodylaw wrote:Also - already grumblings on CT radio about the state probably having to pay Ollie 10 mil and then jumping right into a 6 year deal for 3 mil per year for Danny. Unlike when Calhoun was there and they had the BEmoney coming in the athletic budget for UConn is heavily subsidized by the state. Better win fast!
Have to pay us 1.25mil too.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Everybody knew Dan was the choice 2 weeks after JB was canned, if not before. Thorr and Dooley knew who they wanted.

I know the state's rules on hiring. Just takes a while for an official announcement to be made.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyNJ wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:Also - already grumblings on CT radio about the state probably having to pay Ollie 10 mil and then jumping right into a 6 year deal for 3 mil per year for Danny. Unlike when Calhoun was there and they had the BEmoney coming in the athletic budget for UConn is heavily subsidized by the state. Better win fast!
Have to pay us 1.25mil too.
Their large tournament payouts end this year too.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UConn is propped up by the fact they have some pretty serious donors....way more and bigger than us.

They made the difference after URI countered......
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

How about Dan saying it was an easy decision until URI stepped up with a significant offer. So all his feelings and comments yet it was still an easy decision.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Rhody83 wrote:How about Dan saying it was an easy decision until URI stepped up with a significant offer. So all his feelings and comments yet it was still an easy decision.
“When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.”
4 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Whatever happened to "I'll take less money for more program enhancements?"
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

URI_05 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:How about Dan saying it was an easy decision until URI stepped up with a significant offer. So all his feelings and comments yet it was still an easy decision.
Maybe, but to be fair he did at least attempt to explain that by saying that he's always revered the UConn job since he was a player in the old Big East and their recent history of winning national championships. Maybe you don't buy that, but that was his rationale for why UConn was an easy decision.
3 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

TruePoint wrote:
URI_05 wrote:
Maybe, but to be fair he did at least attempt to explain that by saying that he's always revered the UConn job since he was a player in the old Big East and their recent history of winning national championships. Maybe you don't buy that, but that was his rationale for why UConn was an easy decision.
Come on... Really? (I know what he said.)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:Whatever happened to "I'll take less money for more program enhancements?"

I think that was clearly pre-spin to give him clearance to go because he assumed URI was not coming with the enhancements. When they did it screwed up his story and I think actually made him feel a little bad about how it all went down.
8 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

URI_05 wrote:
I don't think he ever said it was or wasn't about the money. I think he was gone no matter what...even with same facilities and same $$...he just thinks UConn is prettier...to each his own. Probably would have been easier for him if the financial differences were wider...but I think the cache of 4 fairly recent titles was the winner - and sounds like he pretty much said so. I really appreciate what the guy did here (everyone probably does), and he was always nice to me personally (except that time he lied to me and my wife), but I wouldn't be crushed if UConn sucked for a few years... Bigger short term concern = does Harris still come here? (And no, I don't think that should influence the next hc call, but what do I know?)...

Go Rhody
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Honestly, it seems like he's been coaching with one foot out the door since before the St. Joes game. There was a clear change in how the team performed and how he was acting.

I live in CT and I'm going to have to see his face plastered over everything for the next few months. I can't exactly wish UConn well over the next few years.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
URI_05 wrote:
I don't think he ever said it was or wasn't about the money. I think he was gone no matter what...even with same facilities and same $$...he just thinks UConn is prettier...to each his own. Probably would have been easier for him if the financial differences were wider...but I think the cache of 4 fairly recent titles was the winner - and sounds like he pretty much said so. I really appreciate what the guy did here (everyone probably does), and he was always nice to me personally (except that time he lied to me and my wife), but I wouldn't be crushed if UConn sucked for a few years... Bigger short term concern = does Harris still come here? (And no, I don't think that should influence the next hc call, but what do I know?)...

Go Rhody
I'm torn with my feelings on the whole thing, but in the WPRI interview and spoke of the "UConn Brand" - what he doesn't seem to realize, he could build that here and it would be his own. Oh well, hopefully the next guy up will take it, run with it, and be even better. Perhaps he'll be our Mark Few to Dan's Dan Monson...
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

URI_05 wrote:Honestly, it seems like he's been coaching with one foot out the door since before the St. Joes game. There was a clear change in how the team performed and how he was acting.

I live in CT and I'm going to have to see his face plastered over everything for the next few months. I can't exactly wish UConn well over the next few years.
I agree with you. It’s naive for anybody to think the UCONN situation/planning wasn’t a distraction to a certain extent. Seems as if everything was in motion for a while now.

"Listen, I could give a crap about who's got an opening anywhere. I haven't thought about it for a second.” Lol seems like you thought about it just plenty, Danny boy!
5 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Nothing more then wondering out loud. But any one interested in Chris Cole as a potential assistant? Good connection with cox and Harris and praised by many in development skills and up and coming coach.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

sevegny7 wrote:Nothing more then wondering out loud. But any one interested in Chris Cole as a potential assistant? Good connection with cox and Harris and praised by many in development skills and up and coming coach.
Absolutely NOT.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

the last coaching search was much more fun. it ment hope. this one.. not nearly as exciting.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

sevegny7 wrote:Nothing more then wondering out loud. But any one interested in Chris Cole as a potential assistant? Good connection with cox and Harris and praised by many in development skills and up and coming coach.
The issue I see there is that, assuming Cox is the guy, he is going to need to fill at least two assistant spots and would be replacing himself and Moore so I would think he would definitely be looking for someone with a lot more experience than Cole.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow DH got emotional at the end of that interview with Yianni

He spoke of the UConn brand and when you combine that with the 3.1 M per year I guess he felt he had to go

WE are in great shape as a program though so let's keep this momentum and move on
3 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Re: '18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by NHRamFan »

"Tom Moore also resigned and is gone."

The Manchurian Candidate's work here was done. Exit stage left.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think we as the Ram fan base clearly didn't appreciate UConn as a destination for Dan the way he did. We saw all the obvious short term mess they had and their messed up league (which isn't totally garbage, either), but underneath they are their state's NBA team. Ring a bell? I believe that UConn was one of those destination jobs for Dan and possibly the Ollie mess made it MORE enticing as he can do a little clean up, shape it in his own mind's eye, and win with virtually zero program restrictions. This all before he gets to 50 years old.

My initial reaction was disappointment since with the URI offer and MY personal view of UConn, it didn't seem like the right fit. But I've learned some things over the past day or two that help me better understand the decision.

I am very grateful to Dan who has given me (us) a basketball program that is championship-level, NCAA game winning, and professionally operated. The 6 year transformation is really astounding if you look at it. Even Thorr said that at first he and the administration had no idea what it took to be a championship program at this level. He dragged the program uphill in the snow to the point where our next coach will operate with more tools than Dan ever had while he was winning championships here.
12 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Unfortunately we forget UCONN is probably the most successful men’s program in all of college basketball in the past 20 years. And it’s one state over so that hurt. But Uri needs to think big. Andy gresh was proclaiming Hurley maxed out here which is not true at all. But get these facilities going and we’ll be back and bigger then ever.
3 x
GO RAMS
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

In FLA on vacation and don’t you know it I end up playing golf with a UConn supporter.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Also had heard before I left that this deal was done long ago and that there is a Hurley connection with UConn. D
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I hate the narrative that Hurley maxed out here. At some point you have to look at some of the shortcomings the last two years, and realize those were definitely not maxing out the potential.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NO way the "Deal was done", but I can believe Dan's agent knew of the short list of schools he would seriously entertain offers from immediately following the season. Remember from UConn's perspective, there was zero chance URI would ever put up a deal to give Dan a choice. But yet, Thorr/Dooley did, to the surprise of Dan himself.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Agree ATP I stated it poorly but maybe it was known in advance there was mutual interest and that’s 80% of the deal
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This all confirms what I posted TWO MONTHS ago........that I spoke with a prominent UConn booster who said Moore told him Dan was 99% gone.

This guy wasn't my source on all of this....but I thought to myself....how would he know that?

Well now I know.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rhodysurf wrote:I hate the narrative that Hurley maxed out here. At some point you have to look at some of the shortcomings the last two years, and realize those were definitely not maxing out the potential.
if Hurley maxed out what he could do here then he isnt nearly as good of a coach as everyone nationally thinks he is.

we've gotten to higher heights with prior coaches. Harrick, Penders, Keaney, even Al
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Tom Moore was the embedded Husky.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

UConn is a funky thing. College basketball is about to change with the NBA addressing the 1 and done rule. UConn won 2 titles with blue collar players that were nice guys and media darlings. Then it won 2 more with 1 player scoring all the points and the rest playing defense. I honestly believe Napier's was the least earned. Guy had more and-1 calls in 3 weeks, than Allen Iverson had in his career. But what is the identity?

I do think it is the region's powerhouse more so than Syracuse because of actual success. Only on KB do people argue against national titles. But I also think they're up against it with the challenges they face. So on one hand UConn is CBB royalty. But on the other hand it appears that they may never reach the top of that mountain again.

Like can Dan beat Bill Self in November on an aircraft carrier? lol I just don't think so. That is what those jobs are. Then you have the state of Connecticut on fire financially behind you so the goodwill is lost. Plus the addition of competition for recruits in the northeast. UConn used to sell from an even position with Cuse and all the schools that recruit up here. Now they aren't on equal ground. And even once you get the top guy. What is his character? Lots of top 60 players washout.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry