The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
Why would he stay? Looks like his role here was never as a coach, unfortunately. Joke's on us!

was tom moore here to coach or to recruit a coach?
I don't know if that's a fair question or not, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have the same thought.
Who recommended Moore to Dan? Who recruited Dan to be the head coach at UConn? The same guy, a very powerful figure and legendary head coach of the school. I think it's a very fair question to ask.
2 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Holy shit. This means Dan is being brainwashed. We need to stage an intervention.

At 2 I hope Thorr is announcing his resignation. The buck stops there.

He's gotta go.

We need to bring in a warrior. Pitino! Get Rick now!

He'd come for 2 million. Give him a chance to rebuild his reputation.
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Billyboy78 wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

was tom moore here to coach or to recruit a coach?
I don't know if that's a fair question or not, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have the same thought.
Who recommended Moore to Dan? Who recruited Dan to be the head coach at UConn? The same guy, a very powerful figure and legendary head coach of the school. I think it's a very fair question to ask.
Fair question? I don't think it's even a question. The answer here is pretty fucking cut and dry if you look at the strings and when they were pulled.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

this kevin mcnamara is pissing me off today and his gleeful tweets

no mood for it a-hole
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:this kevin mcnamara is pissing me off today and his gleeful tweets

no mood for it a-hole

He can't help himself. Something like this fits the narrative he always likes to write.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am at least happy that URI made such a big time offer to Dan. It did its best to keep him and met most of his requests. The decision to leave was on Dan and there was likely nothing within reason that Rhode Island could do.

While it may not have had the effect of keeping Hurley here, it forced UConn to up its offer and over pay what it wanted. Hopefully UConn loses its effort to tarnish and cheat its former alumnus title winning coach. I would be very pleased to see the school have to also pay pay near or all of the 10.75 million dollars it is attempting to steal from Kevin Ollie.
9 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Tate and Martin alone is still better than most of our recruiting classes we've ever had.

A similar tweet or message from the like of Harris, Fatts, Jeff, Cyril and Adams would quickly turn around a dismal morning.
9 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Lotta mixed emotions in Friartown today.

That won’t keep em from feasting on Rhody lamb chop tho....

We deserve every bit of it today. Bring it on.

uConn?

Yuk.

Actually I think “uConn? Yuk! “ will be new signature

Tho I love the picket fence - most unstoppable coaching strategy ever!

Jeez I need some Pizza.....
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

mstyles22 wrote:Tate and Martin alone is still better than most of our recruiting classes we've ever had.

A similar tweet or message from the like of Harris, Fatts, Jeff, Cyril and Adams would quickly turn around a dismal morning.
You can bet for sure they are reading these threads.

They pop up pretty quick on a web search/ I won’t be surprised to see a tweet from all of them.

I we keep this group intact I might apply for the job. $100k would be fine I could walk to work.

I’d run the ol picket fence.....all day.

:)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

2.75m 1st year
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I just had a daydream that we filed a tampering lawsuit against UConn for $25M and used the award to build a premier practice facility that we named the "Calhoun Center". I think I stayed up too long last night reading this board. Need some sleep .....
7 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rhodyblue12 wrote:I just had a daydream that we filed a tampering lawsuit against UConn for $25M and used the award to build a premier practice facility that we named the "Calhoun Center". I think I stayed up too long last night reading this board. Need some sleep .....

that actually doesn't seem so far fetched. I wonder if there is any tampering guidelines in the NCAA? In MLB is David Ortiz so much as tells one of his buddies that Fenway is a great place to play, there is an all out investigation. It would seem to me that what UCONN did far exceeds that. It is really not a reach that Moore was here for one reason and that Calhoun was making a play all along.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

xcrun wrote:At 2 I hope Thorr is announcing his resignation. The buck stops there.

He's gotta go.

We need to bring in a warrior. Pitino! Get Rick now!

He'd come for 2 million. Give him a chance to rebuild his reputation.
I can't help but take the bait here. I'm more pissed off that there are Rhody "fans" like you out there who think this way than I am that Hurley left. Sooooo stupid.

Thorr put a better offer forward than any of us thought possible.
7 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote:
giovanni wrote:
jcru wrote:Let me guess: anyone who doesn't agree with giving Cox the job TODAY is a troll, correct?
I would just say, i think everyone here would agree Dan knows his basketball and coaching. While an ex coach should not dictate in hiring of a new coach, there is nothing wrong with his very knowledgeable and informed opinion. And though we are all disappointed and some may have initial bad sentiments with Dan and situation, I surely don't think Dan would suggest something that he thought would be in the University's worst interest, but something he truly believed.

Also, Thorr and Dooley are running the show now and I think most value their opinion and work and if they feel this is the best move then do it. No more Carothers and Petro running the show, we are now in very capable hands.
It's not just Dan. It's the players too.

It's not like this is a listless ship where we need to get a "new voice" or "change the culture" - that's been done.

It matters what everyone in and around the program things now - they made it first rate.

I feel like everyone on here always talks fondly of Penders and Skinner and would either take them back with open arms or value their input on a coach. Why is Dan all of a sudden stricken from that list?

If we hired any other coach in 2012 we're nowhere close to where we are now in terms of the enhancements and program advancements we can now provide. Dan deserves a thank you, and now we move on.
In time, Dan will take his place alongside those guys. He will come back to campus someday, attend a game at the Ryan for an anniversary of this year's team or last year's, and the place will go nuts for him. Considering how I expected this to go today, I think our fans (with some exceptions) have been pretty level headed in expressing appreciation and disappointment simultaneously. Whatever animous there is this morning will subside sooner or later, but probably no later than our next big win or recruit signing, both of which will come.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

rhodyblue12 wrote:I just had a daydream that we filed a tampering lawsuit against UConn for $25M and used the award to build a premier practice facility that we named the "Calhoun Center". I think I stayed up too long last night reading this board. Need some sleep .....
One another angle I was thinking how we should find a great kid who UConn passes over going forward to get a Dan press conference just like Jim's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX6FDEDbesE (Warning: NSFW language)
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I think I will view the armada of CT tags that invade south county this summer a bit different......but that’s on me......
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
xcrun wrote:
How is it a disservice? And I definitely know what I'm talking about. Do you?

Go get a good coach. Let's not Cox this up. Seriously. We're on the precipice of something good. Spend and continue the rise.
So are you and jcru under the impression no assistant will make a good head coach?
Jcru and xcrun are the same person...they can cut the bullish!t
Last time they posted together was the Stanford NIT Game 3 years ago - cooincidences do happen I suppose
Can't understand why someone would want to post on the same message board, on the same thread and be two different posters
Why not be three?
Four?
Could all of the posters on this board be the same poster? :lol: :lol:
Have I been duped?
Just admit you are the same poster and drop the act please

Coaching changes at URI always being out some new or old time posters who get off on stirring the old pot

Being in a kind of mourning now, this kind of drama creating thing by the same poster is not much fun. Back to mourning
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rhodysurf wrote:Im not even mad about losing Hurley, I am only annoyed that this was definitely premeditated with all of the Moore and Calhoun stuff going on.

Also Cox has a super solid resume, and actually knows an offense that isn't high pick and roll every play. I don't really see what the issue is.

Absolutely agree with you. As much as I've been thinking about Dan going to UCONN since I got the Jon Rothstein Twitter alert this morning, I am excited for the next season. Looking forward to the next chapter of Rhody Hoops.
4 x
Gopher+RamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Gopher+RamFan »

Just to clarify a ton of posts I saw on this:

Shaka was not affiliated with VCU before becoming HC. VCU hired him from Florida, where he was an assistant under Billy Donovan. The hire was the result of VCU's "Villa 7" coaching symposium, sponsored by Nike but now defunct.

Wade got a head coaching gig for 2 years, before returning to VCU. Rhoades was at Rice for 3 years before returning to VCU.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote:.......I think I will view the armada of CT tags that invade south county this summer a bit different......but that’s on me......

Oh, vomit. The Blue Plates infiltrate South County year round.
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I have read a few times on this board that it is written Coach Cox's contract that
he would be the next head coach on the departure of Hurley. Is this true
and if so is URI legally bound by this agreement to name Cox as the head
coach?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

CHICO 78 wrote:I have read a few times on this board that it is written Coach Cox's contract that
coach?
Thorr cleared this up in the press conference. Cox is not "coach in waiting" exactly, but his contract calls for extra compensation (a buyout) if he is not named the next head coach. They are under no obligation to name him coach and he will be interviewed but a national search is underway.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

rhodysurf wrote:
Also Cox has a super solid resume, and actually knows an offense that isn't high pick and roll every play. I don't really see what the issue is.
@rhodysurf you got any evidence of this you can link to?
I noticed Cox on multiple occasions really in Hurley’s ear during the Martelli Debacle ( I was directly behind the bench upstairs) and was he pretty animated as we aimlessly tossed the ball around the St Joe’s zone.

If what you say is true and he employs DH defensive coaching techniques I’m all in on Cox. Really this crew coming in should be pretty much roll out the ball and stay outta the way.

From tape I’ve seen of Harris he is an absolute load. Pretty sure @billyboy78 has seen him in person.

Share some details?
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

CHICO 78 wrote:I have read a few times on this board that it is written Coach Cox's contract that
coach?
Thorr re-confirmed in his press conference that there is a buy-out clause they have to pay Cox if he is not named the head coach.

Would bet my bottom dollar that the "search" is a legality.

You don't put something like that in a contract unless you know the guy can lead your program.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Thorr said all the right things in the presser, and URI has behaved big time through this whole situation. For the first time ever. I am very happy about that. Obviously he is torn up about losing a business partner, and likely feels very similar to much of the fanbase right now. 1 day of mourning and tomorrow it's back to the mission of ruling the A10.
8 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

hrstrat57 wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:
@rhodysurf you got any evidence of this you can link to?
I noticed Cox on multiple occasions really in Hurley’s ear during the Martelli Debacle ( I was directly behind the bench upstairs) and was he pretty animated as we aimlessly tossed the ball around the St Joe’s zone.

If what you say is true and he employs DH defensive coaching techniques I’m all in on Cox. Really this crew coming in should be pretty much roll out the ball and stay outta the way.

From tape I’ve seen of Harris he is an absolute load. Pretty sure @billyboy78 has seen him in person.

Share some details?
No, the only one of the 4 recruits I've seen in person is Dana, 3 or 4 times.
0 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

We should get a refund on Tom Moore's salary this year - should be added to the buyout. It would NOT surprise me if there were things going on in the background all year because I think UCONN is shady.

I am not naive - Hurley was going to leave us at some point but I really think he's going to regret UCONN as the choice. The bitter part of me wants the SH or X or other more prominent lucrative job to open up where he jumps right over just to screw them.

I think I don't understand the Xs and Os to fully appreciate love for Cox. I was quite surprised to hear the talk that it was written into a contract as if an automatic succession. Glad it was more of a buyout but now that it's all public it may look even worse in 18-year old recruit's eyes if they don't pick him so that seems like a mistake. It feels like we are more hostage to pick him rather than selecting him best among a pool of candidates.

I think there's a difference between a great recruiter and a great coach. I hope if he gets it that it's because of his potential as a head coach at an elite level but I know well enough to know that I can't assess that from my seats.
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:
coach?
Thorr re-confirmed in his press conference that there is a buy-out clause they have to pay Cox if he is not named the head coach.

You don't put something like that in a contract unless you know the guy can lead your program.
Those things don't work out all the time. You put that in a contract to give them incentive to stay. No different than any other negotiating tool. It won't stop Thorr from looking for other candidates. If Thorr doesn't have a legitimate search, it could cost this program dearly.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
coach?

Those things don't work out all the time. You put that in a contract to give them incentive to stay. No different than any other negotiating tool. It won't stop Thorr from looking for other candidates. If Thorr doesn't have a legitimate search, it could cost this program dearly.
It can also be construed as very low to back out of a promise or commitment. I have read here and agree, the UConn is treating Ollie, who is one of their own and has had success, whether the like it or not, like he is a number. Does Rhode Island want to act the same way and do the same thing? He was given that promise for a reason, it should not be reneged. If you want to have and keep any integrity.
Last edited by giovanni 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The UConn board is a treat for comedy. Some of their fans are completely delusional with unrealistic expectations from the get go. Reading a thread about expectations there and some are predicting the first year will yield a 20 or more win season, top three finish in their conference (something they have yet to do in the first five years of the league), possible NCAA bid, or a second round advancement in the NIT. This without having any idea how their roster will shake out. Dan will surely have his work cut out for him trying to satisfy that unreasonable bunch. Pure fantasy land there. I am left to assume many will not be happy if there is no national title within three years.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

What about Kevin Ollie? If he is available, shouldn't he get a look?
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

RF1 wrote:The UConn board is a treat for comedy. Some of their fans are completely delusional with unrealistic expectations from the get go. Reading a thread about expectations there and some are predicting the first year will yield a 20 or more win season, top three finish in their conference (something they have yet to do in the first five years of the league), possible NCAA bid, or a second round advancement in the NIT. This without having any idea how their roster will shake out. Dan will surely have his work cut out for him trying to satisfy that unreasonable bunch. Pure fantasy land there. I am left to assume many will not be happy if there is no national title within three years.
Dan enters a new stratosphere there, and money will do that. He thought at times people were difficult here and had too high of expectations. Welcome to a new world. A lot of money, but with that money there will also be unrealistic expectations and much more criticism than he had here. I love Dan and what he did here,but I think some of these people, UConn people are out of there mind they will be back in the final 4 ever, let alone 2 or 3 years. Should be happy with 2nd place in 3 or 4 years if lucky
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

jcru wrote:What about Kevin Ollie? If he is available, shouldn't he get a look?
No
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Why?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He's 7-1 in the NCAAT. We don't like that here?
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I want no part of Ollie, he turned their program into a mess. Multiple high level recruits leaving every year and no results on the court once Calhoun's players were gone.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's still a lot of tourney experience. There really is no substitute for that. Coaching on that level, with that kind of pressure.

UConn, I believe, is destined to be a mess regardless of what happens. Ollie may eventually rehab his name elsewhere, he'll get another job.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Is the trolling here fun for you?
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

What is your problem? I can't have an opinion at all? Grow up
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:He's 7-1 in the NCAAT. We don't like that here?
Did you pay attention to what UConn's done at all? He had one good year with Calhoun's recruits and it's been all downhill from there. They haven't just lost the last two years, they've been getting embarrassed.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

giovanni wrote:
RF1 wrote:The UConn board is a treat for comedy. Some of their fans are completely delusional with unrealistic expectations from the get go. Reading a thread about expectations there and some are predicting the first year will yield a 20 or more win season, top three finish in their conference (something they have yet to do in the first five years of the league), possible NCAA bid, or a second round advancement in the NIT. This without having any idea how their roster will shake out. Dan will surely have his work cut out for him trying to satisfy that unreasonable bunch. Pure fantasy land there. I am left to assume many will not be happy if there is no national title within three years.
Dan enters a new stratosphere there, and money will do that. He thought at times people were difficult here and had too high of expectations. Welcome to a new world. A lot of money, but with that money there will also be unrealistic expectations and much more criticism than he had here. I love Dan and what he did here,but I think some of these people, UConn people are out of there mind they will be back in the final 4 ever, let alone 2 or 3 years. Should be happy with 2nd place in 3 or 4 years if lucky
It is high level coaching too. When he plays (insert top guys name), they will expect to win those games at UConn. Not get ran off the floor.

I don't think DH won too many games URI should have lost. Basically we won the ones you win and lost the ones we should have lost. Then in the toss ups we were like on the low end in the beginning and at the high end at the end.

UConn will be in a big tournament every November facing off against the tops of the tops. A 30 point lose to Syracuse at the NIT Tipoff might sow discord. Doubt infiltrates UConn's soul quicker than other places.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Really?? I can't tell if you're joking or not. If you're serious, you must have been living under a rock the past few years. He ran the UCONN program into the ground, not to mention he's just not a very good coach. Way to shoot for the stars.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I would be shocked if they finish in the top 3 of the AAC next season
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

rhodysurf wrote:I would be shocked if they finish in the top 3 of the AAC next season
Because they won't. Lol
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

jcru wrote:What is your problem? I can't have an opinion at all? Grow up
To quote the great Mike Gundy: I'M A MAN! I'M FORTY!

You can have all the opinions you like. It's just that I think the ones you've had today, for the most part, suck.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't care if you say that my opinions suck. You are entitled to your opinion, I would never say otherwise , to anyone.

But you called me a troll and then ATP "Liked" it. If you don't want me around, just say so. Seriously, I won't be the first 20+ year fan on the internet to be run off of KeaneyBlue. I don't see Ben Rowlett around here anymore. Rod is dead. Maybe this has passed me by. But, just drop the nonsense and come right out and say what you want.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodysurf wrote:I would be shocked if they finish in the top 3 of the AAC next season

I think anyone with their two feet planted firmly on the ground would also think this way. UConn, in the first five years of the AAC's existence has never finished in the league's top three. To think they would do so in the first year of a new coach with a lot of player turnover is lunacy.
1 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

jcru wrote:I don't care if you say that my opinions suck. You are entitled to your opinion, I would never say otherwise , to anyone.

But you called me a troll and then ATP "Liked" it. If you don't want me around, just say so. Seriously, I won't be the first 20+ year fan on the internet to be run off of KeaneyBlue. I don't see Ben Rowlett around here anymore. Rod is dead. Maybe this has passed me by. But, just drop the nonsense and come right out and say what you want.
Kick rocks.

We win 16 games in a row, are ranked and having one of these best seasons ever here and we don't hear from you.

But I've seen your posts a lot in the past week, usually in a troll-ish nature. Shit like, "We should look at Ollie" and then you defend his record.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:I don't care if you say that my opinions suck. You are entitled to your opinion, I would never say otherwise , to anyone.

Ben pretty much stopped posting back on projo. Rod didn't get run off, he was a prolific poster until he passed away
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Ben, and I met him before I actually started posting at Projo at a off season practice where we watched Lamar and T-Bell for the first time, was a great, rabid fan, like Blue Man. And some of things that were said to him were appalling. I mean, I realize he didn't react well to a lot of it, but that should have never happened to anyone, the personal attacks he got.

Rod, I know about.

I was away, because of life. I have a son who will be two next month and he consumes all of my time. It's not because I didn't care about the team.

But, anyway, I'll just bow out. Good luck to you guys, and I mean that. No hard feelings, ok?
0 x