The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by jcru »

DC_Rams wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
xcrun wrote:
How is it a disservice? And I definitely know what I'm talking about. Do you?

Go get a good coach. Let's not Cox this up. Seriously. We're on the precipice of something good. Spend and continue the rise.
So are you and jcru under the impression no assistant will make a good head coach?
Jcru and xcrun are the same person...they can cut the bullish!t
You realize that I have actually met many of the people who post here in person, correct?

Not to mention that ATP could probably squash that rumor right away if he wanted to, he can't see our IP addresses?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

sf2010 wrote:I wish I was being recruited by Thorr / the Athletic Dept to be a mouthpiece for them. Could be some nice supplemental income there...
It was before Thorr's time. 20 years ago. It was during the Ron Petro Admin
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

xcrun wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
xcrun wrote:
Your argument is just as baseless.

It's clear to me, like when Baron was here, that if you're personally close you just pay the athletics department lip service. That was a decade of sycophants at cocktail parties saying Baron was a nice guy. Sorry I don't want that again.

Save your money until you see a big hire. Then donate. Otherwise you're just paying for the caviar of those close to Thorr.
Lmao. Who the hell in our athletic department eats caviar. What the hell do you think this is?

"save your money until you see a big hire' is horse shit. You think you are a better identifier of talent than Thorr? He's the dude who fired Baron ASAP and hired Hurley. 2/2 in the good decision book there.

Give your money now so the program can get and support the right guy, you dink. Or wait until the "guy" has been qualified by your standards and watch that guy leave too.
Ok so your money goes to make the Ryan Center the stage for someone's engagement? Better? ;)

And and Thorr gave Baron extensions for NIT berths. Really. You trust that guy?
Thorr became AD in 2007. Didn't the CFL extension occur before that? I think Thorr did give him one extra year around 2011, but then didn't throw good money after bad.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I’m thinking I might not swear at Martelli anymore.

He’s loyal to Hawk Hill.

Well we had Frank Keaney anyway so there’s that.

UConn? I still can’t believe it.

Gross.....
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

21 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

sandman012 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:Ban him from the state! UConn? Guarantee we make a sweet 16 before them.
Dude, this isnt a good look
Yes it is. UConn was the one job floated that made zero sense and he is going to a team that would be a huge rival if they weren’t dicks afraid to play us. Also the program that killed New England colleg basketball scene by avoiding traditional local rivals. So yeah, F UConn. Enjoy playing Tulane, South Florida, East Carolina and a bunch of conference USA teams in freakin Texas. What a power basketball league!

I am on record, if he took ACC, Big 10 big job I would be disappointed but understand, that is what we all expected to happen. To lose out to UConn sucks and I hope they stay at the bottom of that shitty league forever.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

hrstrat57 wrote:I’m thinking I might not swear at Martelli anymore.

He’s loyal to Hawk Hill.

Gross.....
btw, add Martelli to the list of assistants with no HC experience that got moved up.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

He’s loyal to Hawk Hill.

Gross.....
This is why I let it slide when he was talking shit on our home floor during OUR season. He outcoached the shit out of Danny. Take it for what it is, but what we hate about Martelli would be exactly what we'd love about a guy who did the same for us.
5 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Love the Twitter of D Tate!!!
8 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

He’s loyal to Hawk Hill.

Gross.....
btw, add Martelli to the list of assistants with no HC experience that got moved up.
Please, please do not make me make the list of the 500 assistant coach hires that did not work out. No one is saying that it can't work for crying out loud.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Gonebarongone wrote:

He’s loyal to Hawk Hill.

Gross.....
Please, please do not make me make the list of the 500 assistant coach hires that did not work out. No one is saying that it can't work for crying out loud.
go ahead, list em.

I'll even get you started...Jerry D
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
---
---
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

RamIt! wrote:
This is huge because I thought Tate might be the biggest flight risk after losing Danny. We are fortunate to have Ty Boswell on the bench.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamIt! wrote:
Been so many fake twitches the last few days...how do you know if/what to believe?
Like, how do you know this is really him?
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Billyboy78 wrote:URI basketball is a family. Others fake it. Guess what? Dad just abandoned his children for a prettier woman.
Actually, Dad just abandoned his children for a bunch of dudes. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :|
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

jcru wrote:What is it with you guys? This is a circular argument.

This boils down to: 1. a search where everyone get's to express an opinion, and 2. Thorr picking the candidate, no one except cheerleaders cheering him on need apply, contrary opinions not welcome.

If you are going to do that, at least say it. Say, we are going into circle the wagons mode.

Yeah, there won't be any buzz, don't worry. You won't see much activity until Cox coaches his first game, it will be silence, with the exception of when players declare they are leaving.
If Cox stays the players aren't leaving. He recruited most of them. It's well aware that they would only leave if Cox left as well. Didn't you just say in some other hare-brained post that we shouldn't let the players dictate who stays? WHICH IS IT!?

If the crowd is silent or doesn't show up for when we raise ANOTHER NCAA banner, we don't deserve anything. That's the whole point of this whole process. Support the program you want to have from the jump, or you're not going to have a good program to support.

As for the first part...dude WHAT?!?!

This isn't a damn democracy. Everyone doesn't get an opinion here. You know who gets an opinion on these hires? The athletic director and the top 5-10 on the priority points list. The people who actually pay the bills.

I don't think you adequately grip the message board's role in all of this...

As an aside - this is the kind of shit I was talking about when the "Baron 2.0" thread came about. You think that the opinions of this board are taken even the least bit seriously by anyone with pull when there's shit like that going on? LOfreakingL
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

jcru wrote:cross country (I'm guessing that's what the name means), I do agree with you, but TP practically started this message board with ATP. You aren't going to get anywhere with that. Obviously, we're in a room full of people who are trying to direct the narrative in one direction, because that is the will of the AD.

Hence, the response I got earlier about anyone who doesn't want Cox to be hired today is a troll. THAT is disappointing, but I get it. About 20 years ago, people within the Athletics Dept tried to recruit me to be a "mouthpiece" for them, because I had a big mouth on these message boards. And I resisted, and refused the offer, because I value my own opinion, so I know how the process works. Keep fighting the good fight though. They must be all glad that Rod is gone, so they don't have to take any flack from him over the *new* hiring process.
BlueMan used to be a renegade. Now he's an insider. It's tough.

And re ATP and TP, sure thanks for the board. But that doesn't make you a basketball expert. Maybe an IT expert.

I just want us to win. I could give a damn about being friends with Thorr.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I get it now, thanks.

Blue Man has been "domesticated". No shame in that.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

jcru wrote:cross country (I'm guessing that's what the name means), I do agree with you, but TP practically started this message board with ATP. You aren't going to get anywhere with that. Obviously, we're in a room full of people who are trying to direct the narrative in one direction, because that is the will of the AD.

Hence, the response I got earlier about anyone who doesn't want Cox to be hired today is a troll. THAT is disappointing, but I get it. About 20 years ago, people within the Athletics Dept tried to recruit me to be a "mouthpiece" for them, because I had a big mouth on these message boards. And I resisted, and refused the offer, because I value my own opinion, so I know how the process works. Keep fighting the good fight though. They must be all glad that Rod is gone, so they don't have to take any flack from him over the *new* hiring process.
For the record, nobody is taking direction here from anyone at the university. I'm not even sure they know we exist. I live out of state - I am not around the program or in frequent contact with anyone inside the athletic department. My opinions here are my own, and they haven't always jibed with what the atheletic department has done. For example, if the athletic department hires Tim Cluess or Rick Pitino, I will be critical of that. I was also unaware that Cox had been designated the coach in waiting. I just have my opinion, which is that Cox is going to be a head coach next season or the season after that because he is immensely qualified, and that he could provide some continuity from this recent success is an added mark in his favor. There are also outside candidate I would support, but it would mean starting over. I don't believe we are in a position to need to start over. For the one millionth time, David Cox is not Jerry Degregorio. He is a good and talented basketball coach and recruiter. He has earned a chance to have his own program not based being connected to one flaky player, but based on an entire career of working for very good coaches and being heavily involved in this team's recent success. I don't have any insight into what the administration is thinking regarding Cox, but if he gets the job I will be fully supportive.

What you guys think is happening here - that people are falling in line or are plants for the athletic department - is hilariously off base. The reality is that the people who have been here in the weeds following what is going on in and around the team on a daily basis have thought of everything you're bringing up here and moved past them long ago. You're not bringing up points we haven't thought of, you're bringing up points we've dismissed already.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RamIt! wrote:
Been so many fake twitches the last few days...how do you know if/what to believe?
Like, how do you know this is really him?
Um... because that HIS twitter account? Unless someone hacked it that's his words.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

That Tate tweet helps turn the page big time. He is a stud. The fact he recognizes URI has something special entirely separate from the former coach is refreshing.

DH legacy is legit and will be revered, but we ARE URI fans. I am not a DH fan anymore. I am certainly not a UConn fan.
11 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:

For the record, nobody is taking direction here from anyone at the university. I'm not even sure they know we exist. I live out of state - I am not around the program or in frequent contact with anyone inside the athletic department. My opinions here are my own, and they haven't always jibed with what the atheletic department has done. For example, if the athletic department hires Tim Cluess or Rick Pitino, I will be critical of that. I was also unaware that Cox had been designated the coach in waiting. I just have my opinion, which is that Cox is going to be a head coach next season or the season after that because he is immensely qualified, and that he could provide some continuity from this recent success is an added mark in his favor. There are also outside candidate I would support, but it would mean starting over. I don't believe we are in a position to need to start over. For the one millionth time, David Cox is not Jerry Degregorio. He is a good and talented basketball coach and recruiter. He has earned a chance to have his own program not based being connected to one flaky player, but based on an entire career of working for very good coaches and being heavily involved in this team's recent success. I don't have any insight into what the administration is thinking regarding Cox, but if he gets the job I will be fully supportive.

What you guys think is happening here - that people are falling in line or are plants for the athletic department - is hilariously off base. The reality is that the people who have been here in the weeds following what is going on in and around the team on a daily basis have thought of everything you're bringing up here and moved past them long ago. You're not bringing up points we haven't thought of, you're bringing up points we've dismissed already.
I would change my tone so fast if URI athletics just let my row win one time at a basketball game. RECRUIT ME!!!
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Xavier was second place for JH - if we go the Preston route and can keep Cox for another year as an assistant that may work out.
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Gonebarongone wrote:
go ahead, list em.

Craig Esherick, Bruiser Flint, Jerry D, Jerry D, Jerry D, Mike Davis. Brian Mahoney killed Saint John's. There are so many.

I guess I don't understand why having a credible search scares all of you guys. Cox isn't going anywhere. And I am sure, since it is a state gig, that they have to post it and go through that BS. Why on earth would anyone think it is a good idea just to hand over a team to an assistant with zero head coaching experience? Like I said, people only care about the 2018 class. Not the actual coach. Bad, bad, bad process.
1 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Blue Man wrote:
jcru wrote:What is it with you guys? This is a circular argument.

This boils down to: 1. a search where everyone get's to express an opinion, and 2. Thorr picking the candidate, no one except cheerleaders cheering him on need apply, contrary opinions not welcome.

If you are going to do that, at least say it. Say, we are going into circle the wagons mode.

Yeah, there won't be any buzz, don't worry. You won't see much activity until Cox coaches his first game, it will be silence, with the exception of when players declare they are leaving.
If Cox stays the players aren't leaving. He recruited most of them. It's well aware that they would only leave if Cox left as well. Didn't you just say in some other hare-brained post that we shouldn't let the players dictate who stays? WHICH IS IT!?

If the crowd is silent or doesn't show up for when we raise ANOTHER NCAA banner, we don't deserve anything. That's the whole point of this whole process. Support the program you want to have from the jump, or you're not going to have a good program to support.

As for the first part...dude WHAT?!?!

This isn't a damn democracy. Everyone doesn't get an opinion here. You know who gets an opinion on these hires? The athletic director and the top 5-10 on the priority points list. The people who actually pay the bills.

I don't think you adequately grip the message board's role in all of this...

As an aside - this is the kind of shit I was talking about when the "Baron 2.0" thread came about. You think that the opinions of this board are taken even the least bit seriously by anyone with pull when there's shit like that going on? LOfreakingL

You vote with your money. Isn't that democratic? Can't have it both ways.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Im not even mad about losing Hurley, I am only annoyed that this was definitely premeditated with all of the Moore and Calhoun stuff going on.

Also Cox has a super solid resume, and actually knows an offense that isn't high pick and roll every play. I don't really see what the issue is.
6 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

jcru wrote:Was Cox a head coach anywhere? If not, that should be a major red flag.

You are talking O.J.T.
where was Shaka a head coach before VCU?

where was Mack a head coach before Xavier?

where was Sean Miller a head coach before Xavier?

where was Archie Miller a head coach before Dayton?

where was Mark Few a head coach before Gonzaga?

where was Matta a head coach before Butler?

where was Brad Stevens a head coach before Butler?

answer is NO-FUCKING-WHERE...all of them were assistants under the prior coach that were moved into the head coach spot

now you can go fuck off with your trolling about needing someone with experience and how this forum should be involved in the hire.

not sure I'm keen on the vocabulary, but excellent post otherwise DPS
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

OK, hopefully it is his account...I don't know how one tells.

From reading all this stuff...it almost looks like KB members do NOT have a say in naming the next coach? Whaaaaaat????? :lol: (I mean, Thank God)
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Gonebarongone wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: Please, please do not make me make the list of the 500 assistant coach hires that did not work out. No one is saying that it can't work for crying out loud.
go ahead, list em.

Craig Esherick, Bruiser Flint, Jerry D, Jerry D, Jerry D, Mike Davis. Brian Mahoney killed Saint John's. There are so many.

I guess I don't understand why having a credible search scares all of you guys. Cox isn't going anywhere. And I am sure, since it is a state gig, that they have to post it and go through that BS. Why on earth would anyone think it is a good idea just to hand over a team to an assistant with zero head coaching experience? Like I said, people only care about the 2018 class. Not the actual coach. Bad, bad, bad process.
Bob McKillop in the W column

Bruiser Flint? really? he made 2 NCAAs and an NIT in 5 years at UMass

Mike Davis? He made 4 NCAAs in 6 years, including the 2001 National Championship game

Esherick even made a Sweet 16

want to try again?
1 x
---
---
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Folks our HC just bolted for UConn!!

UConn!!!!! Many remember hating those dawgs more than the Friars. I sure did.

To many of us around these parts that is the 2nd greatest hoops sin one can make. No one will ever make the greatest sin. Cooley was a Rhody asst btw ain’t the same. Y’all might wanna reconsider your continued love fest.

UConn!!!

FKNA

It’ll never be OK.

Never, and I doubt I will ever, ever get over it.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rhodysurf wrote:Im not even mad about losing Hurley, I am only annoyed that this was definitely premeditated with all of the Moore and Calhoun stuff going on.

Also Cox has a super solid resume, and actually knows an offense that isn't high pick and roll every play. I don't really see what the issue is.
This board would go bat sh*t if we hired an A10 assistant with the resume of Cox. And, being part of the DC Assault during the Curtis Malone era is not a huge red flag but a mini one, in my mind.
0 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

TruePoint wrote:

This is actually a good point up until the last paragraph.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Thank you Dan for leaving us so much better than when you came.
Thank you for pushing that Coach Cox has in his contract that he will become the next coach. By pushing for this you are hurting your chances of improving the UCONN job. I am sure that your first hire would be Cox but if he is at Rhody you can't do that. You think of him as a friend and a super assistant coach that is ready for a head coach position. If you were to bring him to conn. as your recruiter and helper it would make your new job so much easier. Leaving him as coach at rhody helps us keep all our team intact and keeps the DC/Maryland recruiting area open to us.
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Gonebarongone wrote:
go ahead, list em.

Bob McKillop in the W column

Bruiser Flint? really? he made 2 NCAAs and an NIT in 5 years at UMass

Mike Davis? He made 4 NCAAs in 6 years, including the 2001 National Championship game

Esherick even made a Sweet 16

want to try again?
Lol. Go to any alum of those schools. They are in the Jerry D column. Please tell me you understand this. "Esherick even made a Sweet 16"...lol.
0 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Catching up on this thread during my train ride from Boston and Jay Z's "A week ago" just started playing on my iPod. Couldn't be a more appropriate choice by the iPods shuffle option.

Everyone has summed up my feelings already. Already having nightmares of Fatts and Harris in a UCONN uniform. Hopefully those in the know are correct with their statements about Cox being able to keep the roster intact.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

the_one_mike wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Anybody happy Tom Moore is gone? I think I am.
Why would he stay? Looks like his role here was never as a coach, unfortunately. Joke's on us!

was tom moore here to coach or to recruit a coach?
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

xcrun wrote:

And re ATP and TP, sure thanks for the board. But that doesn't make you a basketball expert. Maybe an IT expert.

Lol guess you've got me pegged. I mean I literally worked for the department in college. Pretty sure that's been clear forever. I'm probably the most public person on here. My avatar is a picture of me. Don't know that ever made me a renegade.

I donate money, but not an amount that would put me in a room with negotiations. I certainly talk to people, but that doesn't make me an insider. If you think Dan and Thorr were texting me updates throughout the week you way overvalue my importance even more than I do (that's hard to do).

Trust me, you'll know when I'm an insider because they'll be a damn building with my name on it (actually my dog's. I'm totally naming every building I put on the campus after him, he's the man). I'm only like 10 promotions or a lottery ticket away - so everyone keep my career progress/good luck in your thoughts - think of all the info Keaney Blue could get!!!
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Gonebarongone wrote: Lol. Go to any alum of those schools. They are in the Jerry D column. Please tell me you understand this. "Esherick even made a Sweet 16"...lol.
This is all fine and good, I'm just curious how the experience of other coaches leads you to believe that Cox himself isn't qualified to be our coach. People are mutually exclusive of their path to any particular position; and this should be examined as such.

Is he the best guy for the job? That's the question to ask. Not whether or not he arbitrarily brings "experience" as a head coach elsewhere to the table.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Anybody happy Tom Moore is gone? I think I am.
Why would he stay? Looks like his role here was never as a coach, unfortunately. Joke's on us!

was tom moore here to coach or to recruit a coach?
I don't know if that's a fair question or not, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have the same thought.
3 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

rhodysurf wrote:Im not even mad about losing Hurley, I am only annoyed that this was definitely premeditated with all of the Moore and Calhoun stuff going on.

Exactly. To think that Hurley was having back room conversations with Moore and Calhoun while our season was going on makes me sick. Sounds like he had a hard-on for UCONN this entire time, so good for him. He got what he wanted. That aside, I'm proud of Thorr and Dooley for putting a great offer on the table. Quite frankly, it was more than I thought we'd ever be able to do, so at least we know those guys are serious about taking this program to the next level.

As for Hurley? I appreciate everything he did for our program, but I certainly won't be rooting for him. He's just another coach out there in the basketball world at this point. All that talk about family, loyalty, commitment...it was all bullshit. Give him credit, he talked a big game and we all drank the Kool Aid. He better hope he does well at UCONN or else he'll be shoved out the door faster than Ollie was. They're looking for immediate success, they want championships, not just one-and-done trips to the tournament. Big time pressure. Will he deliver? Time will tell.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

xcrun wrote:
That's a great post. Seriously.

But like you actually did, I say wait for that new coach to come. If he's good then donate.
I waited because it was so clear the previous coach was terrible and we were a dead program. If I had come into the working world in 2005 you better believe I would've put my money where my mouth is.

We will never know if the new coach is good until he is, so you have to have faith that the people with a track record of the good in this program will make another good decision.

There were people on this board in February of last year saying Dan wasn't a good coach and now 13 months later it's the end of the world with him leaving.

You can't wait and see to support this program now. We're a good program that needs to keep rolling. If you want to stop the train and start over, expect 5 more years of darkness, followed by a brief period of greatness, then a mad scramble to provide the coach who brought us there with everything he needed from day one and didn't get.

We need to break that cycle for the sake of our team.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Oh boy, looks like we're approaching full meltdown mode here, everyone breathe...

I thank Dan for his efforts and would stand-up and cheer for him as an opposing coach (out of respect, not because I ever wish anything well for UConn). It remains to be seen how much of this scenario was talked about behind the scenes. The # of players and recruits that leave, if any, will answer that if Cox is indeed named the next coach.

After reading the UConn board and the high opinion they have of Dan and themselves, I'm sure there was no contingent about bringing players with him as part of the deal. I've heard some rumblings about that and anyone who thinks UConn had a caveat to brining Dan on board like "we'll up your $$$ if you bring Harris, Fatts and Dowtin with you" is a moron and doesn't know anything about college basketball. Or the law. Or anything.

And someone posted the link earlier: Go listen to the Cox interview from earlier this season, especially if you don't want him to coach this team. Then come back here. If your opinion is the same, fair enough. Then I'll at least listen to you. I might think in the back of my head that you have some kind of agenda, but at least I'll listen. And those saying, "Yeah, but we learned our lesson with Jerry D" have no idea what context means.

I manage a sales team and part of my job is interviewing and hiring. One of the most frustrating battles that I have with the VP's/HR is when I interview a great candidate but they're cold on him/her because they don't have enough experience in our particular field of expertise. When often times those are the hungriest and hardest workers. But the company line is: "Doesn't matter how good they MIGHT be or they have proven to be so far. We hired a guy with not a lot of experience in 1999 and it didn't work out." So should Rhody cross Cox off the list because he's never been a head coach? Some of you guys make it sound like he's sitting on the sidelines during games and meetings wearing a propeller beanie. Please. Pay more attention to your program.

I also want to make it clear that I don't put any blame on us as supporters of the program for Dan leaving. I was a freshman in the Fall of '99. To say basketball was a non-factor on campus during my 1st three years at Rhody would be an understatement. Storming the court after an NIT win my Senior year, it gave me a lasting impression that the University could and would get fully behind this program with the right trajectory. No need for a history lesson here, we all know what happened. Dan made us relevant as a program and brand. I'm sure he won't have to make Instagram videos at UConn imploring fans to come to games, but that's not why he left. The older guys will tell you that we've been here before, but they'll also tell you that this particular "valley" that we're in is much higher than previous ones.

If we can stabilize the outlook for next year with a good hire and minimal damage to the incoming class...THEN we'll worry about the on the floor product (I'm not worried). I'm still going to donate, this program has my full support and I'm fully on board with hiring Cox (but also going through the due diligence of looking at other coaches).

Go Rhody.
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You guys had a 3 hour head start on me out here, so took me a while to get through everybody's thoughts but after reading everything here I think I fall somewhere in the middle of each side of the reactions so far.

No doubt I am somewhat disappointed that Hurley still left after seeing the reports of what we offered. Frankly I never expected URI to step to the plate with that kind of an offer. I'm betting Hurley didn't either. So that part of it definitely stings a little.

Where I think I differ from some is that I don't necessarily view Hurley's whole "family" talk as pure BS. I felt all along that this offseason was the perfect storm of timing for him to leave, so it doesn't surprise me that he did. Now I don't know Dan so I am simply speculating on what I believe he might have been thinking, but to me the "family" Dan always talked about was mostly EC, Hassan, Jared, and Jarvis. Of course he loves guys like Cyril, Fatts and Dowtin and I'm not trying to say it was easy to leave those guys, but every time the coaching carousel kicked up in past seasons I always posted here that I saw no way Hurley was looking EC/Hass/Terrell/Jarvis in the eyes and telling them he was leaving them behind. So with those guys all gone now I think it made this the right time for him personally. And then UConn came calling and backed up the Brinks truck, along with a number of other advantages that we don't have here and that was that.

I am thankful for Dan coming here and showing this University how things need to be done if we want to be a legit college basketball program. My main concern now, no matter who is the next coach, is that the administration takes what we've learned here and continues to move forward. We can't allow this to just be a blip along the way and a fun few years and now go back to just being an average A10 team that flirts with the tournament every 5-6 years if we get lucky. I am really hoping that the big time donors who were willing to commit to the things Dan wanted (practice facility, charters, etc.) are still willing to make that commitment to the next guy. I know my annual donation (which is pennies compared to the big boys) isn't going anywhere.

Hurley showed us how it can be done, but he isn't the only guy capable of doing it.
6 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Blue Man wrote:
xcrun wrote:

Lol guess you've got me pegged. I mean I literally worked for the department in college. Pretty sure that's been clear forever. I'm probably the most public person on here. My avatar is a picture of me. Don't know that ever made me a renegade.

I donate money, but not an amount that would put me in a room with negotiations. I certainly talk to people, but that doesn't make me an insider. If you think Dan and Thorr were texting me updates throughout the week you way overvalue my importance even more than I do (that's hard to do).

Trust me, you'll know when I'm an insider because they'll be a damn building with my name on it (actually my dog's. I'm totally naming every building I put on the campus after him, he's the man). I'm only like 10 promotions or a lottery ticket away - so everyone keep my career progress/good luck in your thoughts - think of all the info Keaney Blue could get!!!
Does Thorr have your dog? Cause we'll help get him back..

But seriously that's fair. I'm just angry today. This sucks.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180322-122107.jpg
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

First thing I heard from friends who are not fans was that they were not impressed with Hurley’s coaching. Great recruiter, great motivator, great program builder, yes but he is not the perfect coach.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

the_one_mike wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: Lol. Go to any alum of those schools. They are in the Jerry D column. Please tell me you understand this. "Esherick even made a Sweet 16"...lol.
This is all fine and good, I'm just curious how the experience of other coaches leads you to believe that Cox himself isn't qualified to be our coach. People are mutually exclusive of their path to any particular position; and this should be examined as such.

Is he the best guy for the job? That's the question to ask. Not whether or not he arbitrarily brings "experience" as a head coach elsewhere to the table.
I have said about five times he might be the right guy. I just think with the buyout money and the tournament credits as well as the fact that DH built a pretty nice program, it is absolutely wrong to not cast a wide net here. That is all I have been saying.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

First thing I heard from friends who are not fans was that they were not impressed with Hurley’s coaching. Great recruiter, great motivator, great program builder, yes but he is not the perfect coach.

—————————-
Well we did toss the ball aimlessly around the top of multiple zone defenses after The Martelli debacle without attacking the baseline or working the corners...

But overall Hurley answered all my many criticisms regarding coaching offense.

UConn?

Yuk.
Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

RamIt! wrote:
11 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

He likes UConns history...? That was it? Why couldn't he be a man and create his own here? People and events create history...Calhoun did it at UConn...Hurley missed his chance to do it here.

History by definition is what happened in the past, we need to look forward...he can look back.
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

jcru wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
So are you and jcru under the impression no assistant will make a good head coach?
Jcru and xcrun are the same person...they can cut the bullish!t
You realize that I have actually met many of the people who post here in person, correct?

Not to mention that ATP could probably squash that rumor right away if he wanted to, he can't see our IP addresses?
Be honest we're the same person obviously.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Gonebarongone wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

I have said about five times he might be the right guy. I just think with the buyout money and the tournament credits as well as the fact that DH built a pretty nice program, it is absolutely wrong to not cast a wide net here. That is all I have been saying.
That's fair, and I agree with the assessment. I just think you're proposing the argument with people that agree with you but believe Cox is the obvious choice.

We agree with the sentiment that trying to hire the best guy behooves the program. But we also recognize that if we hire from outside the program right now there's a much greater chance it leads to a lull/rebuild than if we move forward with what we have.

The key right now is what we do with the last scholarship and what we do with the eventual two openings on our staff if the promotions go through as I think they will.
0 x