The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

jcru wrote:What is it with you guys? This is a circular argument.

This boils down to: 1. a search where everyone get's to express an opinion, and 2. Thorr picking the candidate, no one except cheerleaders cheering him on need apply, contrary opinions not welcome.

If you are going to do that, at least say it. Say, we are going into circle the wagons mode.

Yeah, there won't be any buzz, don't worry. You won't see much activity until Cox coaches his first game, it will be silence, with the exception of when players declare they are leaving.
1. No one is stopping you from expressing your opinion, there are at least two whole threads where you can express your opinion on the URI search. 2. Thorr shouldn't listen to our opinions, because none of our careers are on the line and we're not privy to all the details he is. He should pick who he thinks is the best candidate, keaneyblue.com be damned
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

In my opinion, taking the UConn job was just naive and foolish. If you're already making over a million dollars for a salary and have a rising successful program there's no need to leave. The fans and athletic department liked the guy and were making improvements to the program every year.
UConn is in the AAC. It's not a great conference. It's certainly not the ACC. It's not a big time program. It hasn't been for years, since Calhoun left, and that's exactly the point. Calhoun was the program. Not UConn. They're not a Kentucky or a UNC or Kansas. I'm totally convinced that with guys like Harris wanting to come to URI (arguably a top 10 or top 20 center in the nation), that he could've taken URI basketball to beyond the elite eight, just like Gonzaga, Wichita State, Butler, and others.
Touting "we're family, but that it's not the same as what other people do by simply using family" sales pitch, now looks like complete hog wash. Whatever happened to people and things like having good character and making things your own? Now all these people do is lie lie lie, grab money where they can, & follow what someone else has already done. No originality, no good character, no desire to make their own mark somewhere, just a whole lot of bull shit and little appreciation for those who helped you get where you are.
7 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

DC_Rams wrote:
xcrun wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
I'm not saying you're trolling, but you clearly don't have any idea what you're talking about. Cox is not Jerry D, and it is a fucking insult to Cox's experience and quality as a coach to even make the suggestion. Get someone good...uh, buddy, Cox is someone good.

The idea behind wanting continuity isn't just about "appeasing" the players. What has been going on here for the last number of years is clearly working. Yes, the players and the recruiting, but all of the other basketball and non-basketball things with the program are working well enough that they are worth trying to preserve and carry forward.
I disagree. I do not think Cox is good. I think we need a big named hire now. I'm fine with someone dirty if they will win. Maybe someone who does get Technical fouls that cost is games.

Also, I didn't think we could swear on here.

As for the past couple of years no doubt it worked. But we're now rebuilding.

And again, there's a slight attitide difference between those who are friendly with Dan and those who are not. Maybe the reality lies between.
What a baseless assessment! He’s “not good” based on what? His track record as a assistant and recruiter have him tabbed as one of the best assistant coaches in the country. You are starting to sound like a bitter teenager, and Cox just stole your girl.
Your argument is just as baseless.

It's clear to me, like when Baron was here, that if you're personally close you just pay the athletics department lip service. That was a decade of sycophants at cocktail parties saying Baron was a nice guy. Sorry I don't want that again.

Save your money until you see a big hire. Then donate. Otherwise you're just paying for the caviar of those close to Thorr.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

xcrun wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
xcrun wrote:
I disagree. I do not think Cox is good. I think we need a big named hire now. I'm fine with someone dirty if they will win. Maybe someone who does get Technical fouls that cost is games.

And again, there's a slight attitide difference between those who are friendly with Dan and those who are not. Maybe the reality lies between.
What a baseless assessment! He’s “not good” based on what? His track record as a assistant and recruiter have him tabbed as one of the best assistant coaches in the country. You are starting to sound like a bitter teenager, and Cox just stole your girl.

It's clear to me, like when Baron was here, that if you're personally close you just pay the athletics department lip service. That was a decade of sycophants at cocktail parties saying Baron was a nice guy. Sorry I don't want that again.

Save your money until you see a big hire. Then donate. Otherwise you're just paying for the caviar of those close to Thorr.
Dude, I backed my assessment up with actual credence. You still haven’t told me how you KNOW he is “no good”.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

jcru wrote:Was Cox a head coach anywhere? If not, that should be a major red flag.

You are talking O.J.T.
I am betting jcru and xcrun are the same person. Every coach that is promoted from within has to find their footing. At least when Cox does it, he will have a helluva class behind him to do it with. 4 BIG TIME FROSH coming in.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

spar wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:This sucks....

I don't think you can blame the fans all that much.
How could you ever fairly compare the two fan bases.
Uconn has had 4 national championships to build that fan base. Rhody had intermittent eras of success that held just a decent fan base afloat.
Nobody could expect us to have the fan support they do.

It's the fact it's Uconn and you don't get offers like that very often.
This could be the place where he can win national titles.
Be a real big shot like his brother and father.

Maybe if our fans magically supported him tenfold in the wake of 17 years of crippling mediocrity he would have stayed maybe, but this has almost everything to do with the fact that Uconn is that big time school that we wish we were.

I think he signed away a chance to be more of a legendary coach.
If he actually made us the gonzaga or Wichita state of the east he could have been more revered here if he did that than he ever will at Uconn unless he really does something unprecedented.

I just hope that we can find the person that can keep this program trending upward.
Cant survive another jerry duh Baron fiasco.
Don't think we will endure that with Dooley and Thor at the helm. Wouldn't be mad about Dave Cox. Keep these players coming in. Smart guy, got most of our good players. Not sure who would be better than him at this point.

Thank you Dan.

THIS

After all the years of torture with Baron, how could you expect the fan base to magically just start dumping money into the program from day 1 w/ Hurley? We knew it was going to take some time to build up the fan support. To sit here and say this is 100% on the fans is not fair in my opinion. If we had won 2 national championships and THEN endured the drought we did, then I could understand this thinking a bit more, but not with the way history has actually been for us the last 18 years.

Love. Period. I love the URI Rams.

Dan was a great dude. I'm grateful for what he did to help the school and program I love.

It wasn't a bad relationship, if anything he was better to us than we were to him as a whole. As a fanbase, we didn't come around to support and root for him until year 3/4 at the earliest. He gave us everything he had from day one. Not sure how you can be angry at that.

After working in athletics I had an idea of how things actually work and what it takes to actually run a quality program - mainly because I'd see where we ranked in terms of operating budget and donor support in the A10 - and that curiously aligned with the standings that year and the year after.

I graduated in 2010. First job in Jan 2011. I felt like the best decision was to speak with my wallet and not open it up until they moved on from Baron because the writing was very clearly on the wall there. Then they hired a guy who some people thought was unqualified, but a lot of people were happy about. Either way, it was a step in the direction of "not Baron."

Once he was introduced I made my first commitment. $1000/year (with the company match, so $42/month). This basketball program was important enough for me to forego 1-2 last call beers every week.

The further I go in my career, the more I try to give. Because I LOVE this program.

I think a lot of people think I'm pro-Hurley because I love Hurley. No I've been pro-Hurley because he was good for the program I love. (Also totally love the guy).

Baron's firing should have been a wake-up call to everyone that we could come out of our bunkers and support the program again. Instead we went with the "wait and see" which I disagree with, but is totally understandable given the circumstances.

Now that we've "seen" what this program is capable of under Thorr, now it's our job to support. You want the NCAA tournament runs? It takes support. We need to charter to games. We need to hire and retain quality assistants. We need a practice facility. Those aren't outlandish requests. Those are things the traditional powers in the conference have.

We need to be a destination or we need to be able to survive coaching changes without another 2 decades of darkness. That takes support. If you love this program, it shouldn't be that hard of a thing to do.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Section104 wrote:I'm just happy we didn't lose Thorr to Buffalo. He's incredibly important in this next hire and I think we should all trust he'll find the best person for the job.

I think it's Cox, but his assistants will be incredibly important. He can't be our lead recruiter and run the team. He needs some help.

My one disagreement with Blue Man is that I think at best this forum, and other non top boosters, could have raised 500k-1 million in the last 5-6 years. That would not have been enough. We got to 2 million. I'm not sure there was an offer that would have kept Hurley. It was the 4 rings that lured him the other way.
We'll never know, but...all things being equal (and I know they aren't/won't be)...if facilities, charters, etc were all the same...if all the things that could be bought and paid for, were bought and paid for... is 4 rings and another $1M just too much to overcome?
ETA: "4 rings and $1M" is very different from 'it's all about the money'
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

jcru wrote:Was Cox a head coach anywhere? If not, that should be a major red flag.

You are talking O.J.T.
where was Shaka a head coach before VCU?

where was Mack a head coach before Xavier?

where was Sean Miller a head coach before Xavier?

where was Archie Miller a head coach before Dayton?

where was Mark Few a head coach before Gonzaga?

where was Matta a head coach before Butler?

where was Brad Stevens a head coach before Butler?

answer is NO-FUCKING-WHERE...all of them were assistants under the prior coach that were moved into the head coach spot

now you can go fuck off with your trolling about needing someone with experience and how this forum should be involved in the hire.
8 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Paleoguy wrote:Six year deal. Says it was UConn's history that made the difference:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ball-coach
Sure thing, Dan. UConn's history of paying enormous salaries.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

xcrun wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
xcrun wrote:

Lmao. Who the hell in our athletic department eats caviar. What the hell do you think this is?

"save your money until you see a big hire' is horse shit. You think you are a better identifier of talent than Thorr? He's the dude who fired Baron ASAP and hired Hurley. 2/2 in the good decision book there.

Give your money now so the program can get and support the right guy, you dink. Or wait until the "guy" has been qualified by your standards and watch that guy leave too.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Blue Man wrote:
spar wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:This sucks....

I don't think you can blame the fans all that much.
How could you ever fairly compare the two fan bases.
Uconn has had 4 national championships to build that fan base. Rhody had intermittent eras of success that held just a decent fan base afloat.
Nobody could expect us to have the fan support they do.

It's the fact it's Uconn and you don't get offers like that very often.
This could be the place where he can win national titles.
Be a real big shot like his brother and father.

Maybe if our fans magically supported him tenfold in the wake of 17 years of crippling mediocrity he would have stayed maybe, but this has almost everything to do with the fact that Uconn is that big time school that we wish we were.

I think he signed away a chance to be more of a legendary coach.
If he actually made us the gonzaga or Wichita state of the east he could have been more revered here if he did that than he ever will at Uconn unless he really does something unprecedented.

I just hope that we can find the person that can keep this program trending upward.
Cant survive another jerry duh Baron fiasco.
Don't think we will endure that with Dooley and Thor at the helm. Wouldn't be mad about Dave Cox. Keep these players coming in. Smart guy, got most of our good players. Not sure who would be better than him at this point.

Thank you Dan.

THIS

After all the years of torture with Baron, how could you expect the fan base to magically just start dumping money into the program from day 1 w/ Hurley? We knew it was going to take some time to build up the fan support. To sit here and say this is 100% on the fans is not fair in my opinion. If we had won 2 national championships and THEN endured the drought we did, then I could understand this thinking a bit more, but not with the way history has actually been for us the last 18 years.

Love. Period. I love the URI Rams.

Dan was a great dude. I'm grateful for what he did to help the school and program I love.

It wasn't a bad relationship, if anything he was better to us than we were to him as a whole. As a fanbase, we didn't come around to support and root for him until year 3/4 at the earliest. He gave us everything he had from day one. Not sure how you can be angry at that.

After working in athletics I had an idea of how things actually work and what it takes to actually run a quality program - mainly because I'd see where we ranked in terms of operating budget and donor support in the A10 - and that curiously aligned with the standings that year and the year after.

I graduated in 2010. First job in Jan 2011. I felt like the best decision was to speak with my wallet and not open it up until they moved on from Baron because the writing was very clearly on the wall there. Then they hired a guy who some people thought was unqualified, but a lot of people were happy about. Either way, it was a step in the direction of "not Baron."

Once he was introduced I made my first commitment. $1000/year (with the company match, so $42/month). This basketball program was important enough for me to forego 1-2 last call beers every week.

The further I go in my career, the more I try to give. Because I LOVE this program.

I think a lot of people think I'm pro-Hurley because I love Hurley. No I've been pro-Hurley because he was good for the program I love. (Also totally love the guy).

Baron's firing should have been a wake-up call to everyone that we could come out of our bunkers and support the program again. Instead we went with the "wait and see" which I disagree with, but is totally understandable given the circumstances.

Now that we've "seen" what this program is capable of under Thorr, now it's our job to support. You want the NCAA tournament runs? It takes support. We need to charter to games. We need to hire and retain quality assistants. We need a practice facility. Those aren't outlandish requests. Those are things the traditional powers in the conference have.

We need to be a destination or we need to be able to survive coaching changes without another 2 decades of darkness. That takes support. If you love this program, it shouldn't be that hard of a thing to do.
That's a great post. Seriously.

But like you actually did, I say wait for that new coach to come. If he's good then donate.
2 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

scine20 wrote:
sandman012 wrote:
scine20 wrote: The only difference I can see between URI and UConn is the money he was offered.
then you aren't seeing clearly
UConn is in a conference comparable to URI's. UConn is in a terrible location. There is no room to grow at UConn as if you win great they already won 4 times without you. I look at UConn as a no-win situation. I felt all along that it was a terrible job and am honestly shocked that he took it.
I dislike UConn as much as anyone and also feel Uconn isnt a good job for him.

But there is a difference.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Just in case jcru missed the previous list from DPS:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at the names of those Basketball Programs:
VCU, Xavier, Dayton, Gonzaga, Bulter

Proven method to sustain success when you have a solid candidate from within your existing staff.
6 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

All I'm going to say in response to the idea that our fans didn't show enough support here is... Watch what happens in Connecticut when he loses a couple tough ones in a row like he did at the end of the season here. Watch when he lays an egg on senior night by 30 points versus UCF in Gampel.

Shit won't be all unicorns and rainbows in Storrs like he's been sold. And I can see that train derailing very, very fast based on his demeanor here at times.

I wish him the best but I'm under the impression this is more likely to crash and burn than anything else.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

You are talking O.J.T.

answer is NO-FUCKING-WHERE...all of them were assistants under the prior coach that were moved into the head coach spot

now you can go fuck off with your trolling about needing someone with experience and how this forum should be involved in the hire.
I just stood up and gave your post a one man standing ovation. Thank you, TP please show this troll jcru the door!
1 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Blue Man wrote:
Lmao. Who the hell in our athletic department eats caviar. What the hell do you think this is?
Thorr is from Norway, probably loves that stuff.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I feel sick to my stomach.... I have to leave work.... it feels like a death.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote:

You are talking O.J.T.
I am betting jcru and xcrun are the same person. Every coach that is promoted from within has to find their footing. At least when Cox does it, he will have a helluva class behind him to do it with. 4 BIG TIME FROSH coming in.
I'm guessing Ty won't be here. And if he isn't, Dana won't be here.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:Just in case jcru missed the previous list from DPS:

Proven method to sustain success when you have a solid candidate from within your existing staff.
Psh. You and your "facts".
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:

You are talking O.J.T.
I'm guessing Ty won't be here. And if he isn't, Dana won't be here.
Moore is gone but I think Cox will keep Ty. Him and Moore have the same connections up and down the east coast.
2 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

I don't know anything about Cox, but it's much more important to hire the right guy, even if you lose some players or recruits. This decision well affect the program for longer than any of these recruits will be at URI.
3 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

SmartyBarrett wrote:

Psh. You and your "facts".
1 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Blue Man wrote:
xcrun wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:

"save your money until you see a big hire' is horse shit. You think you are a better identifier of talent than Thorr? He's the dude who fired Baron ASAP and hired Hurley. 2/2 in the good decision book there.

Give your money now so the program can get and support the right guy, you dink. Or wait until the "guy" has been qualified by your standards and watch that guy leave too.
Ok so your money goes to make the Ryan Center the stage for someone's engagement? Better? ;)

And and Thorr gave Baron extensions for NIT berths. Really. You trust that guy?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

xcrun wrote:It's clear to me, like when Baron was here, that if you're personally close you just pay the athletics department lip service. That was a decade of sycophants at cocktail parties saying Baron was a nice guy. Sorry I don't want that again.

He get's it. Synophants and yes men. People recruited to go on a message board and parrot the pre packaged message.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Bigsnoop wrote:I don't know anything about Cox, but it's much more important to hire the right guy, even if you lose some players or recruits. This decision well affect the program for longer than any of these recruits will be at URI.
he was the top scout and game plan maker as well as the top recruiter (responsible for Harris and Adams).

he's as solid looking promotion as you could want.
1 x
---
---
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I hope Hurley enjoys his annual trips to Wichita, Tulsa and middle of nowhere Greenville, NC.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Time to move on boys. Our focus is URI 2018-2019.
3 x
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ATP, is there not an IP address function on here that you can see?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

am i allowed to understand the reasons why hurley left and still be pissed ?

ugh.. so saddened today - i can't even concentrate at work

i know... i know.. get a life but nothing better than having pride i URI and what hurley was doing for us

this one stings
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

First line of the AP story. Rhody fan or blunt truth-teller?

"STORRS, Conn. (AP) — Rhode Island’s Dan Hurley agreed to become UConn’s coach, joining a team that is under NCAA investigation and fired Kevin Ollie this month after another losing season."
8 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

sandman012 wrote:
scine20 wrote:
sandman012 wrote:
then you aren't seeing clearly
UConn is in a conference comparable to URI's. UConn is in a terrible location. There is no room to grow at UConn as if you win great they already won 4 times without you. I look at UConn as a no-win situation. I felt all along that it was a terrible job and am honestly shocked that he took it.
I dislike UConn as much as anyone and also feel Uconn isnt a good job for him.

But there is a difference.
It doesn't seem like enough of a difference, if there is one, for him to leave. Unless UConn was his dream job I don't get it at all.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

xcrun wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
xcrun wrote:

I know you think you're teaching people here how to think about all this, but it is clear that you don't have any idea what you're talking about and you are really not helping. You have really, really bad thoughts and opinions on this situation and you're just embarrassing yourself and the rest of the fan base. We were all better off - you and us, as well as any curious spectators stopping in - when you were wherever you've been for the past however many years. Please go back there. To whatever extent you consider yourself a part of this fan base, your tantrum is doing it a tremendous disservice.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I guess the truth hurts.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

ElmCityRhody wrote:am i allowed to understand the reasons why hurley left and still be pissed ?

ugh.. so saddened today - i can't even concentrate at work

i know... i know.. get a life but nothing better than having pride i URI and what hurley was doing for us

this one stings
Working in sales, I take days off in the middle of the week so I've been able to marinate on this all morning. My colleague, an Indiana grad, has been texting me since 8 this morning about it.

He thinks it's funny that I even invest emotion into the growth of a small program like URI... and after this, sadly I think I agree. I really did think Danny was different. Joke's on us!
Last edited by the_one_mike 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

QED. Cox will be as good as those guys!

I think most reasonable people just don't think it should be handed to him. Let's pretend for a second that this happened last year or 2016. Not a single person would be advocating for Cox to get the job without a credible, national search. It's only because of the 2018 class. We all know it.
That's a bad process. Period.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Anybody happy Tom Moore is gone? I think I am.
15 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Anybody happy Tom Moore is gone? I think I am.
Why would he stay? Looks like his role here was never as a coach, unfortunately. Joke's on us!
6 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Anybody happy Tom Moore is gone? I think I am.

Oh yeah. Fuck that guy.
6 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

TruePoint wrote:
xcrun wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:

I know you think you're teaching people here how to think about all this, but it is clear that you don't have any idea what you're talking about and you are really not helping. You have really, really bad thoughts and opinions on this situation and you're just embarrassing yourself and the rest of the fan base. We were all better off - you and us, as well as any curious spectators stopping in - when you were wherever you've been for the past however many years. Please go back there. To whatever extent you consider yourself a part of this fan base, your tantrum is doing it a tremendous disservice.
How is it a disservice? And I definitely know what I'm talking about. Do you?

Go get a good coach. Let's not Cox this up. Seriously. We're on the precipice of something good. Spend and continue the rise.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

xcrun wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
xcrun wrote:

Go get a good coach. Let's not Cox this up. Seriously. We're on the precipice of something good. Spend and continue the rise.
So are you and jcru under the impression no assistant will make a good head coach?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Obadiah wrote:After reading this thread continually, my belief is that Blue Man has offered up the best perspective on the URI program on all aspects, from Dan Hurley's contributions, to prospects on the new coach, on the need for the University to think bigger on funding the BB program and not waiting for Hurley's departure to act and the need for a growing donor base and giving to URI Athletics especially basketball. Kudos to him.
Yes, despite Blue Man's closeness to the program and even the Hurleys, he has perspective that this program is now in a whole new world of operations, thanks to Dan Hurley.

Dan Hurley challenged and dragged this stagnant/dead program from the ashes into a destination championship caliber job. As he exits, the Administration is now willing and ABLE to provide his successor keys to a program that will operate at a level not even Hurley was able to experience (all charters, practice facility, bigger coaches pool, etc etc).

Thank you, Coach Hurley!

And jcru, you are just unaware of how the process works nowadays. There will be no open, transparent Search Committee meeting on the second floor of the Library. Thorr has a short list. He is now free to aggressively target whoever he believes is our best option. None of it needs to be public. I'm absolutely sure I trust Thorr's judgment in hiring a basketball coach.
Thorr has said in the past that he always has 4 or 5 names in the back of his mind for if a coach leaves. That is his job and I'm sure he's not the only AD in the world who does. I'm sure Thorr has his list in mind, and the fact that he signed off on Cox being coach in waiting shows Cox is on that list. Like with Hurley, which has a home run, perhaps a grand slam, I have faith that Thorr and Dooley will pick another coach who will keep this program moving forward.

Also, I will add that while it is very important to keep Fatts, JD, and CL, as well as all 4 recruits, that should not be the sole reason to hire Cox. If that's the only reason, then we'll be NITish for 4 years, then fall back to mediocrity. But if Cox is also a good X and O's guy, and does it a lot like Hurley, then definitely. Keeping the recruits/players is a factor, but shouldn't be the biggest one.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Thanks Dan for getting us where we are.. But don't bs us about family and money not being everything.. If you truly care about uri at all leave our players and recruits alone.. Not holding my breath.. You are now just another in the long list of coaching mercenaries.. I am OK with cox if it keeps players Here.. Thorr certainly knows him.. Let's hope he makes right decision.. I root for the laundry..want the laundry to continue to be relevant... Paid for my tickets in full right when email came out... Will continue to root hard for rhody rams...
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

the_one_mike wrote:All I'm going to say in response to the idea that our fans didn't show enough support here is... Watch what happens in Connecticut when he loses a couple tough ones in a row like he did at the end of the season here. Watch when he lays an egg on senior night by 30 points versus UCF in Gampel.

Shit won't be all unicorns and rainbows in Storrs like he's been sold. And I can see that train derailing very, very fast based on his demeanor here at times.

I wish him the best but I'm under the impression this is more likely to crash and burn than anything else.

Dan will soon learn that he had a good thing going at URI in many respects (salary and resources excluded).

While there was some heat from fans in Kingston at times, it really pales in comparison with other schools such as UConn. Fans here were relatively happy making the NCAA and getting a win. At UConn, he will be expected to make the NCAA nearly every year, have deep runs, and win a few national championships. Anything less will be unacceptable.

Dan seemed to have a good relationship with the AD and president at URI. They seemed to have an excellent working relationship and mutual trust and respect. That is not something he is likely to enjoy in Storrs. The school operates in cut-throat fashion. It will turn on you in a dime. It has sued former conference mates and recently went so far as to completely discredit and besmirch an alumnus coach that won a national title in order to get out of honoring his contract. The school will stoop to no low in its pursuit of winning.

Dan was without question his own man at URI. That will not be the case at UConn. There will always be the specter of Jim Calhoun over the program and he will be constantly compared to him. Perhaps Dan's experience of playing second fiddle to his dad and older brother will give him some preparation for this. Having always been considered a lesser version of others and walking in their shadow may not be something which bothers him.

The A-10 conference affiliation of URI might actually have been a benefit. Since the AAC was formed, the A-10 has sent more teams to the NCAA Tournament and earned more NCAA units. Even after admitting Wichita State this past year year to shore it up, the AAC still sent the same number of teams to the 2018 tournament and earned the same number of wins and units. This despite, the A-10 be near its lowest point in many years due to coaching turnover. Dan, with his strong northeast roots and connections, could sell the opportunity of playing near your home (league away games) to recruits in the region being in the A-10. That is not a possibility at UConn. The only other northeast AAC member is Temple.

While Dan complained about travel in the A-10 and advocated for more charter flights, he will have far more travel concerns in the AAC. He can expect plenty of long distance flights in conference for frequent games in places such as Tulsa-OK, Wichita-KS, Dallas-TX, Houston-TX, New Orleans-LA, Memphis-TN, Orlando-FL, and Tampa-FL.

The Ryan Center was a great on campus venue and familiar place for the staff and players. It will be much different at UConn with rotating home venues of the off campus XLCenter in Hartford and Gampel in Storrs. His team will lead a gypsy type travel life even playing at home.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
5 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

xcrun wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
xcrun wrote:

Shaka, Sean & Archie Miller, Mack, Matta, Stevens, Few
1 x
---
---
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Ace said that UConn is the job that has fascinated Dan. That is the job he has wanted. If UConn would have been open last year or two years ago, he would have left then. After he and Calhoun discussed the job, his mind was already made up. Get Ollie and out and it's Dan's job. 2 million a year to stay here, plus all the enhancements Dan asked for is WAY MORE than anybody here thought URI would offer him to stay on. WAY WAY MORE!!! Go back and look at what we thought he wanted. At one time, increased attendance would keep him here. Then charters and assistant's salaries. Then the facility. Promised, promised and promised! As soon as the UConn job opened and was offered to him, he was gone. Maybe he wasn't thinking about the UConn job minutes after we lost to Duke, but he's been thinking about it for years!!! Ask Ace! She knows. He and his agent played URI and Pitt to get more money. It worked. He is now where he has wanted to be and is also a rich man. Yet, we as fans SUCK! Wow. Dan is God and we SUCK! Unbelieveable. Now you know why I don't want to post here anymore.
Ah, I had almost forgotten the old Pitino line about this being the ONE job I always wanted and the ONLY one I would leave for.
Before his passing, I think I was able to convince Rod to never fall in love with a coach.
The fact that we had to worry about Dan leaving every year was getting very tiresome. It said volumes to me about how committed he was to URI.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dre3000 wrote:
xcrun wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

So are you and jcru under the impression no assistant will make a good head coach?
Jcru and xcrun are the same person...they can cut the bullish!t
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Mark Macon wrote:Trust Thorr. He's been the best AD in URI history. He will do what is best for the program. Everyone take a deep breath. If this can happen at VCU, Dayton etc. it can and will happen here. It's a fact of life. URI is not, and will never be in the same position of a UConn, Pitt, X or even a PC (who plays in a much better conference). This will also happen at Buffalo and UMBC, Loyola-Chicago and Nevada (with my feeling that we are better off than even those schools conference-wise). Shaka left VCU. Archie left Dayton, both for better jobs with better facilities and more money (schools with huge budgets). Don't think Dayton and VCU were devastated (VCU losing Smart and then Wade) and took a step back? They, like us, will recover. Dan did great things for us. Made the job much more desireable than it was when JB was here. We have moved forward in leaps and bounds and maybe we take a small step back, but I think both Dan and Thorr realized David Cox was a great coach and so that was built into his contract. Some of you can't get over the fact that URI (in the eyes of everyone else in the college basketball world) is really a mid-major, we play in a mid-major conference and will always be ripe for other schools looking for that next big coach. Mark Few at Gonzaga is a rareity. He's paid well. He loves Spokane (he's really the Ed Cooley of the west, but with more success). We would be fortunate to have Cox as our coach and very fortunate if all the players stay and honor their recruiting committments. Very fortunate. This is far from the Jerry D. situation when we hired him to keep Lamar. Even with Lamar that team was suspect with some shady characters. Dan was going to leave next year or the year after anyway. This dance would have continued. Now maybe we get a few years of peace and a solid coach with some great recruits and players and then we can all have this conversation again in 5-6 years when Cox leaves too. Some people need a reality check and while it's great to want your team and program to be the BEST, it also has to have the resources to be that, which we don't right now, but could in the near future. Trust that there are smart people handling all this and send Dan a thank you email for where he's taken this program and the position in which he has left it. We owe him A LOT.

Yes we are a mid-major, but is it totally unrealistic that a coach might not want to chase money and stay with one mid major team? John Cheney and Fran Dunfey at Temple (you know them don't you Mark Macon?)...Phil Martelli, Bob McKillop. I know it was a pipe dream, but I thought Dan could be that here.

What does it take a coach like that to get a coach to commit to a mid major? Does St. Joes, Davidson, and Temple all have better infrastructures than us? That's not a leading question. I really don't know...
Last edited by RhodyRam86 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

cross country (I'm guessing that's what the name means), I do agree with you, but TP practically started this message board with ATP. You aren't going to get anywhere with that. Obviously, we're in a room full of people who are trying to direct the narrative in one direction, because that is the will of the AD.

Hence, the response I got earlier about anyone who doesn't want Cox to be hired today is a troll. THAT is disappointing, but I get it. About 20 years ago, people within the Athletics Dept tried to recruit me to be a "mouthpiece" for them, because I had a big mouth on these message boards. And I resisted, and refused the offer, because I value my own opinion, so I know how the process works. Keep fighting the good fight though. They must be all glad that Rod is gone, so they don't have to take any flack from him over the *new* hiring process.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

RF1 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:All I'm going to say in response to the idea that our fans didn't show enough support here is... Watch what happens in Connecticut when he loses a couple tough ones in a row like he did at the end of the season here. Watch when he lays an egg on senior night by 30 points versus UCF in Gampel.

Dan will soon learn that he had a good thing going at URI in many respects (salary and resources excluded).

While there was some heat from fans in Kingston at times, it really pales in comparison with other schools such as UConn. Fans here were relatively happy making the NCAA and getting a win. At UConn, he will be expected to make the NCAA nearly every year, have deep runs, and win a few national championships. Anything less will be unacceptable.

Dan seemed to have a good relationship with the AD and president at URI. They seemed to have an excellent working relationship and mutual trust and respect. That is not something he is likely to enjoy in Storrs. The school operates in cut-throat fashion. It will turn on you in a dime. It has sued former conference mates and recently went so far as to completely discredit and besmirch an alumnus coach that won a national title in order to get out of honoring his contract. The school will stoop to no low in its pursuit of winning.

Dan was without question his own man at URI. That will not be the case at UConn. There will always be the specter of Jim Calhoun over the program and he will be constantly compared to him. Perhaps Dan's experience of playing second fiddle to his dad and older brother will give him some preparation for this. Having always been considered a lesser version of others and walking in their shadow may not be something which bothers him.

The A-10 conference affiliation of URI might actually have been a benefit. Since the AAC was formed, the A-10 has sent more teams to the NCAA Tournament and earned more NCAA units. Even after admitting Wichita State this past year year to shore it up, the AAC still sent the same number of teams to the 2018 tournament and earned the same number of units. This despite, the A-10 be near its lowest point in many years due to coaching turnover. Dan, with his strong northeast roots and connections, could sell the opportunity of playing near your home to recruits in the region being in the A-10. That is not a possibility at UConn. The only other northeast AAC member is Temple.

While Dan complained about travel in the A-10 and advocated for more charter flights, he will have far more travel concerns in the AAC. He can expect plenty of long distance flights every season in conference for frequent games in places such as Tulsa-OK, Wichita-KS, Dallas-TX, Houston-TX, New Orleans-LA, Memphis-TN, Orlando-FL, and Tampa-FL.

The Ryan Center was a great on campus venue and familiar place for the staff and players. It will be much different at UConn with rotating home venues of the XLCenter and Gampel. His team will lead a gypsy travel life playing at home.
This highlights nearly every single reason why the rhetoric he spewed, particularly near the end of this season, is mostly a crock of shit.

The whole meditation thing and the media stories around it was the final piece in the puzzle of making him a marketable coach at a bigger school. Good luck, he's going to need to carve out a lot more meditation time with the load of stress in Storrs.

Where's ace? Can you just tell us your relation to Danny now? Lol.
2 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

jcru wrote:cross country (I'm guessing that's what the name means), I do agree with you, but TP practically started this message board with ATP. You aren't going to get anywhere with that. Obviously, we're in a room full of people who are trying to direct the narrative in one direction, because that is the will of the AD.

Hence, the response I got earlier about anyone who doesn't want Cox to be hired today is a troll. THAT is disappointing, but I get it. About 20 years ago, people within the Athletics Dept tried to recruit me to be a "mouthpiece" for them, because I had a big mouth on these message boards. And I resisted, and refused the offer, because I value my own opinion, so I know how the process works. Keep fighting the good fight though. They must be all glad that Rod is gone, so they don't have to take any flack from him over the *new* hiring process.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish I was being recruited by Thorr / the Athletic Dept to be a mouthpiece for them. Could be some nice supplemental income there...
2 x