The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RamIt! »

xcrun wrote:Is Pitino available? Let's get someone good.
Now we're talking Harrick 2.0? :lol:
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ATPTourFan wrote:Your assumption that Thorr hasn't done this is the massive flaw in your position. We have given you concrete examples of successful internal hires at programs we would want to emulate. We haven't had a qualified candidate to execute such a hire in the last several decades. We do now.

Thorr has Cox on the list along with others. This process is NOT unlike how Thorr got Hurley. You don't think Thorr had a back-up plan if Dan didn't come here?
That process needs to take place now. Out in the open. Transparent. It's not something that can take place BEFORE Hurley left, by definition.

So, let's see it. Let's see the names, let's report on the interviews.

If Thorr isn't willing to do that, then he may have changed from the guy that hired Hurley six years ago. It happens. The Ron Petro that hired Harrick, wasn't the same Ron Petro that hired Jerry D and Jim Baron, by a long shot. I hope that hasn't happened here, but fast tracking a coach behind the scenes doesn't bode well, ATP
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This, hahah This seriously made my laugh out loud.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

xcrun wrote:
And saying not supporting Cox is trolling is just wrong. We don't want a Jerry D situation. Honestly get someone good. Is Pitino available?

Maybe you are right. Maybe the key is to keep donating. I don't know.

And yes we probably need to build the Athletics practice facility which has been on the back burner for a year.
I'm not saying you're trolling, but you clearly don't have any idea what you're talking about. Cox is not Jerry D, and it is a fucking insult to Cox's experience and quality as a coach to even make the suggestion. Get someone good...uh, buddy, Cox is someone good.

The idea behind wanting continuity isn't just about "appeasing" the players. What has been going on here for the last number of years is clearly working. Yes, the players and the recruiting, but all of the other basketball and non-basketball things with the program are working well enough that they are worth trying to preserve and carry forward.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Also... regarding Danny's commitment to URI... if we don't build a rivalry game with UConn within the first two seasons. He's full of shit. That's another way he can help our program's outreach, by improving UConn's relations with New England schools. They don't play anyone OOC, especially us or PC.
RamIt! wrote:
At this point, I'm for it. Can't beat 'em, join 'em. The good guys don't want to build good things anymore, apparently. Unfortunate.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

sandman012 wrote:
scine20 wrote: The only difference I can see between URI and UConn is the money he was offered.
then you aren't seeing clearly
UConn is in a conference comparable to URI's. UConn is in a terrible location. There is no room to grow at UConn as if you win great they already won 4 times without you. I look at UConn as a no-win situation. I felt all along that it was a terrible job and am honestly shocked that he took it.
1 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Sandman and RamIt.

Absolutely jilted lover. And what does a jilted lover do. Go and sleep around.

Bring in Harrick 2.0!
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Not Mike Powell wrote:It'd be a real shame if Hurley withdrew all the money that Blue Man donated these past couple days. Real shame.
Nah my monthly donation gets pulled on the 15th, like it has for the past 6 years.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Obadiah wrote:After reading this thread continually, my belief is that Blue Man has offered up the best perspective on the URI program on all aspects, from Dan Hurley's contributions, to prospects on the new coach, on the need for the University to think bigger on funding the BB program and not waiting for Hurley's departure to act and the need for a growing donor base and giving to URI Athletics especially basketball. Kudos to him.
Yes, despite Blue Man's closeness to the program and even the Hurleys, he has perspective that this program is now in a whole new world of operations, thanks to Dan Hurley.

Dan Hurley challenged and dragged this stagnant/dead program from the ashes into a destination championship caliber job. As he exits, the Administration is now willing and ABLE to provide his successor keys to a program that will operate at a level not even Hurley was able to experience (all charters, practice facility, bigger coaches pool, etc etc).

Thank you, Coach Hurley!

And jcru, you are just unaware of how the process works nowadays. There will be no open, transparent Search Committee meeting on the second floor of the Library. Thorr has a short list. He is now free to aggressively target whoever he believes is our best option. None of it needs to be public. I'm absolutely sure I trust Thorr's judgment in hiring a basketball coach.
7 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

jcru wrote:When Hurley was hired, we used to talk about "Buzz"

Penders had buzz
Skinner, after about a 4 year rebuilding, had some buzz
Harrick had buzz
DeGregorio had no buzz
Baron had no buzz
Hurley had buzz

Does this upcoming hire have Buzz? Does it excite anyone who isn't close to the Athletics Dept who thinks Thorr cannot fail, even thought he's doing the complete opposite as last time? Does it excite ANYONE out there covering college basketball? Does it excite anyone outside of this forum?

Without buzz, no donations, no interest, no nothing. Apathy. Smallball
While I agree with this, the only reason Dan had buzz when he arrived was his last name. What lower level Head coaches have buzz right now...Oates and Odom? Besides those 2 who else would create buzz? Are you thinking we could get someone like Thad Matta?
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We won't know if they squash the search process. Why avoid doing a real search out of fear no one worth anything will inquire or apply?

That's a defeatist attitude.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
URI_05 wrote:He’s just like the rest of them. Just talked a better game.
Completely wrong. He wanted the same commitment to the program that he gave. UConn was willing to do that. We can’t. We don’t have fans or donors that value this like they do.

It will look like he took the money but that’s just his agent doing agent things. This was on all the enhancements they were willing to do that we can’t or won’t.

Charters to all games are great. What about charters to recruiting visits? Being able to pay your assistant coaches more is great. What about paying them enough where they view the job as a destination instead of needed to rehire every year or two? A plan for a practice facility is great. What about actually having one?

Plus the fan base. Ours sucks as a basketball school. It took 6 years, 2 A10 titles, and 2 NCAA victories for us to finally feel like wow maybe next year we’ll sell out our games. He’ll get that support from day one when he should’ve gotten that here.

Remember this feeling, and remember yesterday when so many people all of a sudden started to donate.

I guess the Baron 2.0 crowd finally got their wish though so there’s that.
I think it is time to abandon that narrative. He was committed here when the institutional support and the fan support were admittedly lacking, and when they start to catch up that is when he pulls the escape hatch? He talked about those things because he thought URI couldn't or wouldn't do them and it would be easy to pin his eventual departure on that. Here, though, the school actually (somehow) came up with a package we never would have committed to in the past - they called his bluff. And he bounced.

No hard feelings toward Dan, I ain't mad. This is the way the business works. Don't blame it on the fans, or the school. I don't think other posters should blame it on Dan, either. These are the laws of nature that govern college sports. Talk of how those laws don't apply to you is branding. The goal has to be to build URI basketball program to a point where these laws of nature work for us, not against us. Dan could have done that if he really was #different, but he's not so we will have to figure it out ourselves - with the next coach, and if necessary the one after that and the one after that.

URI wasn't going to go from VCR film sessions to budgets bigger than UConn's overnight; Dan knew that and so did anyone else paying attention. Once you accept that, we can get over blaming the school and the fans - there was nothing we were ever going to be able to do once one of these jobs came for him if he wasn't all-in on the long term plan to build this. And his not being all-in for that doesn't make him a bad guy, it just makes him exactly like all the other coaches.

None of that take away from what did Dan at this place and for this place. Even just the last two years were worth all of the investments of time and money, but that isn't all we got out of this deal. This is now a much, much better job and program than it was when he got here. We should always be thankful for that, but we should also let the mythmaking stuff about Hurley die a natural and dignified death and move on.

Rhody will be back.
This is exactly where I'm at right now. You can make a very fair case that he's the third or fourth most important coach in our history. Keaney is the unquestioned number one. We don't have a Ryan Center without Harrick, so he's number two. Then it's between Skinner and Hurley. Skinner laid the foundation for the roster Harrick succeeded with, Hurley took our program into modern times. I'd have Penders fifth, because despite the Sweet Sixteen year, he only gave us Skinner as his lasting contribution.

All that being said, some of Dan's mythology that we bought into and helped build on is proven false with this move. It doesn't take away anything that he did while he was here, just means we need to be a little bit more sober in analyzing it
6 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ATPTourFan wrote:And jcru, you are just unaware of how the process works nowadays. There will be no open, transparent Search Committee meeting on the second floor of the Library. Thorr has a short list. He is now free to aggressively target whoever he believes is our best option. None of it needs to be public. I'm absolutely sure I trust Thorr's judgment in hiring a basketball coach.
Why so different from 6 years ago? What changed? Are we not happy with the results of 6 years ago? Do we resent other people voicing their opinions on who should be hired?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Completely wrong. He wanted the same commitment to the program that he gave. UConn was willing to do that. We can’t. We don’t have fans or donors that value this like they do.

It will look like he took the money but that’s just his agent doing agent things. This was on all the enhancements they were willing to do that we can’t or won’t.

Charters to all games are great. What about charters to recruiting visits? Being able to pay your assistant coaches more is great. What about paying them enough where they view the job as a destination instead of needed to rehire every year or two? A plan for a practice facility is great. What about actually having one?

Plus the fan base. Ours sucks as a basketball school. It took 6 years, 2 A10 titles, and 2 NCAA victories for us to finally feel like wow maybe next year we’ll sell out our games. He’ll get that support from day one when he should’ve gotten that here.

Remember this feeling, and remember yesterday when so many people all of a sudden started to donate.

I think it is time to abandon that narrative. He was committed here when the institutional support and the fan support were admittedly lacking, and when they start to catch up that is when he pulls the escape hatch? He talked about those things because he thought URI couldn't or wouldn't do them and it would be easy to pin his eventual departure on that. Here, though, the school actually (somehow) came up with a package we never would have committed to in the past - they called his bluff. And he bounced.

No hard feelings toward Dan, I ain't mad. This is the way the business works. Don't blame it on the fans, or the school. I don't think other posters should blame it on Dan, either. These are the laws of nature that govern college sports. Talk of how those laws don't apply to you is branding. The goal has to be to build URI basketball program to a point where these laws of nature work for us, not against us. Dan could have done that if he really was #different, but he's not so we will have to figure it out ourselves - with the next coach, and if necessary the one after that and the one after that.

URI wasn't going to go from VCR film sessions to budgets bigger than UConn's overnight; Dan knew that and so did anyone else paying attention. Once you accept that, we can get over blaming the school and the fans - there was nothing we were ever going to be able to do once one of these jobs came for him if he wasn't all-in on the long term plan to build this. And his not being all-in for that doesn't make him a bad guy, it just makes him exactly like all the other coaches.

None of that take away from what did Dan at this place and for this place. Even just the last two years were worth all of the investments of time and money, but that isn't all we got out of this deal. This is now a much, much better job and program than it was when he got here. We should always be thankful for that, but we should also let the mythmaking stuff about Hurley die a natural and dignified death and move on.

Rhody will be back.
This whole post gets it.

I called it a fairytale. Myth? works too.

Hurley did the heavy lifting. And that is a wonderful thing. If it is indeed Cox and he can coach on the level. URI will be off to the races. Flush with 4 NCAA credits. The Dan hurley buyout from UConn. And then the renewed fan interest.
7 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Buzz is cool if you're trying to resuscitate a dead program. We don't need buzz right now. The program has created enough of its own buzz on the court. What we need is someone with the technical capacity to move the program forward and build on the great work done here by the last coach.
10 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I agree I want the best candidate and I trust them to pick it...it's their reputation on the line too.
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

jcru wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:And jcru, you are just unaware of how the process works nowadays. There will be no open, transparent Search Committee meeting on the second floor of the Library. Thorr has a short list. He is now free to aggressively target whoever he believes is our best option. None of it needs to be public. I'm absolutely sure I trust Thorr's judgment in hiring a basketball coach.
Why so different from 6 years ago? What changed? Are we not happy with the results of 6 years ago? Do we resent other people voicing their opinions on who should be hired?
Dude. Thorr is not going to ask your personal opinion on each candidate he is going to interview and see if you feel as though they have "buzz" (whatever the fuck that is).

Cox will be one of several people interviewed. Don't get mad just because you're not invited to sit it on them.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

TruePoint wrote:We don't need buzz right now.
*slaps forehead*
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Your assumption that Thorr hasn't done this is the massive flaw in your position. We have given you concrete examples of successful internal hires at programs we would want to emulate. We haven't had a qualified candidate to execute such a hire in the last several decades. We do now.

Thorr has Cox on the list along with others. This process is NOT unlike how Thorr got Hurley. You don't think Thorr had a back-up plan if Dan didn't come here?
That process needs to take place now. Out in the open. Transparent. It's not something that can take place BEFORE Hurley left, by definition.

So, let's see it. Let's see the names, let's report on the interviews.

If Thorr isn't willing to do that, then he may have changed from the guy that hired Hurley six years ago. It happens. The Ron Petro that hired Harrick, wasn't the same Ron Petro that hired Jerry D and Jim Baron, by a long shot. I hope that hasn't happened here, but fast tracking a coach behind the scenes doesn't bode well, ATP
Who were the people we were looking at other than Hurley? There was no one else at the time. I agree with your underlying idea that we need a real search, it sounds like the athletic department does as well despite Cox being coach in waiting. But you're giving traits to the Hurley search that didn't exist and expecting us to follow a process that never happened
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Obadiah wrote:After reading this thread continually, my belief is that Blue Man has offered up the best perspective on the URI program on all aspects, from Dan Hurley's contributions, to prospects on the new coach, on the need for the University to think bigger on funding the BB program and not waiting for Hurley's departure to act and the need for a growing donor base and giving to URI Athletics especially basketball. Kudos to him.
Yes, despite Blue Man's closeness to the program and even the Hurleys, he has perspective that this program is now in a whole new world of operations, thanks to Dan Hurley.

Dan Hurley challenged and dragged this stagnant/dead program from the ashes into a destination championship caliber job. As he exits, the Administration is now willing and ABLE to provide his successor keys to a program that will operate at a level not even Hurley was able to experience (all charters, practice facility, bigger coaches pool, etc etc).

Thank you, Coach Hurley!

And jcru, you are just unaware of how the process works nowadays. There will be no open, transparent Search Committee meeting on the second floor of the Library. Thorr has a short list. He is now free to aggressively target whoever he believes is our best option. None of it needs to be public. I'm absolutely sure I trust Thorr's judgment in hiring a basketball coach.
Was just thinking how lucky we are that he hires two coaches. Guy gets it.
5 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You can't fault Dan for taking a lucrative job at a school that plays on a bigger stage than URI, though questions about the AAC are valid. My only disappointment is I bought the kool-aid about "family" and his father's experience of staying at St. Anthony’s and the belief that Hurley was unique in D1 coaching circles. In the end is was just coachspeak. I will never think like that again.

More disturbing is his move was to UConn, a school I have little admiration for given the manner in which they operate and, in talking to old timers, this arrogant and bad behavior goes all the way back to Yankee Conference days. Added to this distaste, is the role of Jim Calhoun a man who long ago forgot his roots and became mired in total arrogance. This is especially laughable given he is a most inarticulate man and an excruciating speaker. I remember several years ago he gave a terrible, confusing talk at a URI Honors Colloquium and when in the Q&A, someone asked about playing URI, he showed no generosity of spirit and was dismissive of the idea as beneath him. That this man has a house in Charlestown is an affront. He should be driven from the state as a persona non-gratia.
6 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

sf2010 wrote:Dude. Thorr is not going to ask your personal opinion on each candidate he is going to interview and see if you feel as though they have "buzz" (whatever the fuck that is).

Cox will be one of several people interviewed. Don't get mad just because you're not invited to sit it on them.
I'm not the one cursing, so I'm not the one who is mad. I'm just challenging the consensus on this website
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:Buzz is cool if you're trying to resuscitate a dead program. We don't need buzz right now. The program has created enough of its own buzz on the court. What we need is someone with the technical capacity to move the program forward and build on the great work done here by the last coach.
this, we need to avoid having our momentum stall

a fresh hire greatly increases the danger of that. much more likely to see a 1-2 year dip from losing players and recruits until they get their own momentum

hiring from within, especially when you have a qualified replacement in house, is the better bet given all the factors.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:
Part of it is the world can change a lot in 6 years. Part of it is that URI is just in a MUCH different situation than it was 6 years ago. Our needs are different, in terms of a hire.

Also, please do not believe that we "discovered" Dan Hurley through some sort of deep drag of the basketball coaching world. He was the identified candidate to come here from the jump when we fired Baron. So in reality, the process is not as different as you are assuming.
3 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

jcru wrote:
sf2010 wrote:Dude. Thorr is not going to ask your personal opinion on each candidate he is going to interview and see if you feel as though they have "buzz" (whatever the fuck that is).

I'm not the one cursing, so I'm not the one who is mad. I'm just challenging the consensus on this website
I curse all the time, not just when I'm mad. It's a personal flaw of mine.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:
TruePoint wrote:We don't need buzz right now.
*slaps forehead*
Hope it woke you up.
5 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Who were the people we were looking at other than Hurley? There was no one else at the time. I agree with your underlying idea that we need a real search, it sounds like the athletic department does as well despite Cox being coach in waiting. But you're giving traits to the Hurley search that didn't exist and expecting us to follow a process that never happened
No, no, no.

We did have a real search 6 years ago. It's just that when Hurley's name came up that he was interested, the board quickly gravitated to him.

THAT's what we should have now. Throw the names out, so you can see who the board likes and does not like.
0 x
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

Trust Thorr. He's been the best AD in URI history. He will do what is best for the program. Everyone take a deep breath. If this can happen at VCU, Dayton etc. it can and will happen here. It's a fact of life. URI is not, and will never be in the same position of a UConn, Pitt, X or even a PC (who plays in a much better conference). This will also happen at Buffalo and UMBC, Loyola-Chicago and Nevada (with my feeling that we are better off than even those schools conference-wise). Shaka left VCU. Archie left Dayton, both for better jobs with better facilities and more money (schools with huge budgets). Don't think Dayton and VCU were devastated (VCU losing Smart and then Wade) and took a step back? They, like us, will recover. Dan did great things for us. Made the job much more desireable than it was when JB was here. We have moved forward in leaps and bounds and maybe we take a small step back, but I think both Dan and Thorr realized David Cox was a great coach and so that was built into his contract. Some of you can't get over the fact that URI (in the eyes of everyone else in the college basketball world) is really a mid-major, we play in a mid-major conference and will always be ripe for other schools looking for that next big coach. Mark Few at Gonzaga is a rareity. He's paid well. He loves Spokane (he's really the Ed Cooley of the west, but with more success). We would be fortunate to have Cox as our coach and very fortunate if all the players stay and honor their recruiting committments. Very fortunate. This is far from the Jerry D. situation when we hired him to keep Lamar. Even with Lamar that team was suspect with some shady characters. Dan was going to leave next year or the year after anyway. This dance would have continued. Now maybe we get a few years of peace and a solid coach with some great recruits and players and then we can all have this conversation again in 5-6 years when Cox leaves too. Some people need a reality check and while it's great to want your team and program to be the BEST, it also has to have the resources to be that, which we don't right now, but could in the near future. Trust that there are smart people handling all this and send Dan a thank you email for where he's taken this program and the position in which he has left it. We owe him A LOT.
4 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

and obviously all the internal hire for momentum I mentioned goes out the window if someone like a Thad Matta raises their hand...as unlikely as that would be.

hey, Slick Rick needs an image rehab, right? hahaha
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

TruePoint wrote:
xcrun wrote:
And saying not supporting Cox is trolling is just wrong. We don't want a Jerry D situation. Honestly get someone good. Is Pitino available?

And yes we probably need to build the Athletics practice facility which has been on the back burner for a year.
I'm not saying you're trolling, but you clearly don't have any idea what you're talking about. Cox is not Jerry D, and it is a fucking insult to Cox's experience and quality as a coach to even make the suggestion. Get someone good...uh, buddy, Cox is someone good.

The idea behind wanting continuity isn't just about "appeasing" the players. What has been going on here for the last number of years is clearly working. Yes, the players and the recruiting, but all of the other basketball and non-basketball things with the program are working well enough that they are worth trying to preserve and carry forward.
I disagree. I do not think Cox is good. I think we need a big named hire now. I'm fine with someone dirty if they will win. Maybe someone who does get Technical fouls that cost is games.

Also, I didn't think we could swear on here.

As for the past couple of years no doubt it worked. But we're now rebuilding.

And again, there's a slight attitide difference between those who are friendly with Dan and those who are not. Maybe the reality lies between.
3 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

TruePoint wrote: Also, please do not believe that we "discovered" Dan Hurley through some sort of deep drag of the basketball coaching world. He was the identified candidate to come here from the jump when we fired Baron. So in reality, the process is not as different as you are assuming.
I think this is key. I was over the moon when we landed Hurley. Hurley was the hottest name for open coaching jobs after what he did at Wagner. It didn't take some huge in-depth search to uncover somebody that no one else knew about.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I guess the biggest area of potential difference I might have is people keep saying "URI promised this" and "URI promised that." I feel that in the last 5 or so years with this annual ritual of Hurley's "flirtation" with other programs, a big piece of that was always that Hurley was "leveraging" his emerging profile to get a better financial situation for his program. Perhaps, he just got tired of having to leverage URI to get what he thinks should be staples of any high-level basketball program, because he knows in the future, the bar is only going to rise. We've talked about it before -- practice facility leads to basketball-only luxury dorms. Consistent upgrades always needing to be made. Perhaps Hurley just came to realize that he knows that if he does his job at UCONN, he's going to be given a golden checkbook from donors to do almost whatever he desires, and at the same time he would be allowed that opportunity without necessarily having to uproot his family. He won't have to wait for a practice facility to be funded and constructed, because it already exists. It's certainly a riskier play given conference affliation, but the brand awareness of UCONN still carries weight, and if Hurley turns them around quickly, they'll likely return as a basketball power on the east coast, consistently plucking 4* players nationally with the occasional 5* mixed in. I think ultimately, some offers just become too good to pass up ... and maybe this was just the right time for Hurley. I'm certainly disappointed, as Hurley was a great, polarizing figure for basketball in this state. I hope the coaching search moves fast, the right coach is hired, can retain most of the roster/recruits, and that college basketball can continue to be elevated in the state of RI.
7 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

the_one_mike wrote:Also... regarding Danny's commitment to URI... if we don't build a rivalry game with UConn within the first two seasons. He's full of shit. That's another way he can help our program's outreach, by improving UConn's relations with New England schools. They don't play anyone OOC, especially us or PC.
RamIt! wrote:
At this point, I'm for it. Can't beat 'em, join 'em. The good guys don't want to build good things anymore, apparently. Unfortunate.
I wouldn't expect a series with UConn when he would be coaching against some of the players that he coached here. Maybe in three plus years that will change
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

jcru wrote: THAT's what we should have now. Throw the names out, so you can see who the board likes and does not like.
Hold up. Are you seriously suggesting that Thorr put the names he's considering out there for the public for the sole purpose of seeing who KeaneyBlue likes?????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
6 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

TruePoint wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Rhody will be back.
It's this. Fact is, we got what we payed for from a basketball perspective, if not more so. On the rhetoric front, we got played. We bought into some very compelling branding that this coach was different, that family and loyalty were more important than the sort of things that drive all of the other coaches. It was a great pitch, especially for biggest little state and its grads who love this place but often walk around with the biggest little chips on our shoulders about getting overlooked for places with more money and more fans. And we got played. Not in the wins department, or in the building of the program, those things are both measurably and immeasurably better off now. But I think it would be hard even for Dan's most ardent fan to counter the fact that a lot of those platitudes about loyalty and family ring pretty hollow today.

In the end I'm grateful for all the on-court and off-court accomplishments, and hope we can keep this momentum going. But this one hurts a lot too, because it involves confronting the idea that this coach really wasn't that different in terms of real motivations, and maybe none of them are. And I mean duh, no shit right? But you get caught believing for a little while and it stings to get brought back to reality. It will be less bothersome soon, and maybe eventually not at all. Today it's a bummer, but TP is right; we will be back.
5 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

Totally agree, except I do agree with folks who are salty, feeling a bit duped by Dan; and the dubious sentiments about the UConn program. It just didnt seem like a destination program. Dan feels differently. In my mind, only his choice to go to UConn and some of his 'family' talk have me feeling bitter.

I will be over that quickly though. I have faith in Thorr and company to make the right decisions moving forward, and will support them and the program.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

What is it with you guys? This is a circular argument.

This boils down to: 1. a search where everyone get's to express an opinion, and 2. Thorr picking the candidate, no one except cheerleaders cheering him on need apply, contrary opinions not welcome.

If you are going to do that, at least say it. Say, we are going into circle the wagons mode.

Yeah, there won't be any buzz, don't worry. You won't see much activity until Cox coaches his first game, it will be silence, with the exception of when players declare they are leaving.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I don't blame anyone for being mad, I'm mad too, but I realize what he has done for us the fan base and this university. Time to build on that and move on to the next chapter. I'm excited about the program upgrades and for our new coach. GO RAMS!
1 x
GO RAMS
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

xcrun wrote:I'm fine with someone dirty if they will win.
So as not to offend your delicate sensibilities - that's fu**** up
2 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

A few observations here:

1. Yes, money is obviously a big factor and you can't blame someone for taking that much. URI would have gotten him to 2 in 2019-20 vs 3.1 in 2018-19. Over the course of the next several years, after accounting for all his expenses, it really is a large amount of money. Sure, Dan can live comfortably for the rest of his life, but this contract essentially gives him generational wealth and security for his kids.

2. Was UCONN a better job? Historically, yes. Moving forward? I don't know if it was, but now it certainly is. URI sans Dan Hurley is not the program that UCONN is with or without DH. He did have an opportunity to build a perennial A10 powerhouse, and walked away from that for a marginally better league and a better program (granted with some shadows at the moment).

3. Should you feel deceived? Perhaps. If you truly thought it wasn't about the money and the whole family thing, then yes, you were deceived. I don't think Dan anticipated facing a $22 million (is that was it is 3.1x7?) deal this off-season.

4. The recruits. Here is where I think we can get a bit angry. If Dan takes players/recruits with him, he really screws us over. However, I put 0% blame on any of the KIDS for leaving and wish them the best if they do (I hope they stay).

5. RE a new coach. There are two avenues that would satisfy me:
a. David Cox- who I know very little about, IF (and only if) he can keep this team / class intact, then I believe it is worth taking a gamble on him. No option that involves losing players/recruits is going to allow us to enter 18-19 with another shot at being atop the A10 and keeping this rolling. If there is a chance that DC can, then I am in.
b. If we are going to lose major players/recruits, we need a national search. If URI hires DC and Fatts follows DH to UCONN, then I am very unsatisfied.

PS I have a long history of this rivalry, I grew up rooting for UCONN and some others as a Big East fan from NY, then applied to only 2 colleges: UCONN'c coastal studies program and URI for Fisheries Management. Chose URI bc of the campus and a Centennial scholarship. Ended up staying at URI for grad school in Environmental and Natural Resource Economics. I entered the program when it was nationally ranked, just behind Yale, UC Davis and UC Berkley. Then, several professors left, for UGA, U Idaho, Washington, the world bank and, of course, UCONN (Steve Swallow). That program is now a shell of its former self, hopefully the basketball program does not follow suit!

I wish DH all the best but F UCONN. Hopefully we start playing them every once in a while now, it would be nice to have two rivals to hate.
3 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

jcru, I didn't remember you posting at all the last few years so I just went back to see the last time you were active and it was pretty much three years ago. Guess what, you were a troll back then. Please go away. Nobody wants you here.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Who were the people we were looking at other than Hurley? There was no one else at the time. I agree with your underlying idea that we need a real search, it sounds like the athletic department does as well despite Cox being coach in waiting. But you're giving traits to the Hurley search that didn't exist and expecting us to follow a process that never happened
No, no, no.

We did have a real search 6 years ago. It's just that when Hurley's name came up that he was interested, the board quickly gravitated to him.

THAT's what we should have now. Throw the names out, so you can see who the board likes and does not like.
Who cares who the board likes? The quickest way to end up sitting with fans is to manage how they want you to. And how does talking on a message board equate to the athletic department having a search? I assure you they didn't hire Dan because we reached a consensus on this board. Your post makes no sense
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

sf2010 wrote:
jcru wrote:Hold up. Are you seriously suggesting that Thorr put the names he's considering out there for the public for the sole purpose of seeing who KeaneyBlue likes?????
We always had that in the past. What the fan base likes, yes. Not go into the bowels of Keaney or the Ryan and get a backdoor deal done before anyone can raise a concern
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The last time we had a hire where no one was involved except the AD, was when Carothers had Petro sign Baron.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

URI basketball is a family. Others fake it. Guess what? Dad just abandoned his children for a prettier woman.
5 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Who cares who the board likes? The quickest way to end up sitting with fans is to manage how they want you to. And how does talking on a message board equate to the athletic department having a search? I assure you they didn't hire Dan because we reached a consensus on this board. Your post makes no sense
That's not entirely true. We have always had a message board of some kind, since 1996. And since then, they have always sampled our opinions to get a grasp of how things would be received. It's not the be all, end all, but they always valued our opinion in the past. THIS would be something new.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

xcrun wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
xcrun wrote:

I disagree. I do not think Cox is good. I think we need a big named hire now. I'm fine with someone dirty if they will win. Maybe someone who does get Technical fouls that cost is games.

As for the past couple of years no doubt it worked. But we're now rebuilding.

And again, there's a slight attitide difference between those who are friendly with Dan and those who are not. Maybe the reality lies between.
What a baseless assessment! He’s “not good” based on what? His track record as a assistant and recruiter have him tabbed as one of the best assistant coaches in the country. You are starting to sound like a bitter teenager, and Cox just stole your girl.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

This is not on the fan base. There has been a steady increase of support since the team started winning, and it's not on
the administration unless your talking about the State offices. We are a small state university with little
financial support from the state. URI is one of the highest cost state universities in the country. All of
the cost at URI is on the backs of the students to fund. We don't have boosters who give hundreds of
thousands to URI athletics. I understand why he left but his lip service about other schools say they
are family and aren't but we are is bullshit. This is on Hurley,PERIOD!!! If he has to leave to pursue
his dreams of coaching a national champion so be it. This what happens to Mid Majors and
non power 5 programs when the big boys come calling. It's happened at Dayton, VCU , etc. and
they sell out every game and have rabid fan support. No this is on Hurley and nobody else.
I have been worried about this since Bobby left Buffalo for Arizona state and Leap-frogged Dan.
He was once again second fiddle to his brother and even though they care for each other very much,
they are very competitive. It's in their nature. UCONN might not be a Power 5 school but it is a storied program especially
if they end up in the ACC.
I want to wish him the best at UCONN and take the high road. But part of me want some heinous NCAA violations to
be uncovered there in the FBI investigation and UCONN be put on probation for 4 or 5 years. See if He can build
a national champion quickly then, when UCONN is out of the dance for 4 or 5 years. Revenge is a dish best served COLD!!
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Was Cox a head coach anywhere? If not, that should be a major red flag.

You are talking O.J.T.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RF1 wrote:

It would appear these words were hollow and had no real personal meaning to Dan. He apparently is not like his dad or coaches such as McKillop. He is more like the hotshot coaches always looking for a larger paycheck and bigger stage.
Hard to argue with this, especially given the recency of Dan's quotes. He comes across as a complete hypocrite. And I'm tired of being lectured that it's my responsibility to make generous financial contributions to a college basketball program when I struggle every month to pay my mortgage.
1 x