The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:OK, we got it, you've said this over and over again now. What's your plan? Who do you go after that's better than Cox and will come here?
Well, I'm glad you asked.

I'm not expecting a miracle, just the same exact process that brought Hurley here. A search process that scours the entire region for people who have real head coaching accomplishments under their belt
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Let me guess: anyone who doesn't agree with giving Cox the job TODAY is a troll, correct?
0 x
ms1111
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ms1111 »

Dre3000 wrote:
ms1111 wrote:Dre,
You alluded Hurley to Uconn was in the works for a while (before the season was close to ending). Was that info coming from Moore or Cox during the season? You can spill the beans now.
Of course I won't give up the source (though it was neither of those 2), but this was allegedly in the works the moment Moore was put on staff.

And that thread claiming Hurley met with Calhoun about his interest during the season, has some truth to it. I wasn't told he met with Calhoun specifically, but was told he met with "uconn officials". Whatever that means. That's why I wanted to call BS on the "I haven't thought about anything but coaching this team" nonsense. But I knew no one really wanted to hear that at the time.
Dre, I was suspect of Moore all along. I met him last summer in CT and he was already talking about trying to introduce Dan to Mike Tranghese so he could prepare him for bigger jobs. It never sat well with me and I was suspect all season. I posted earlier that life is easier for Moore if he can commute 5 minutes from Tolland to Storrs instead of 90 minutes to Kingston.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

jcru wrote:Blue Man, Baron 2.0 crowd is the crowd that is attempting to fast-track the job to the assistant coach.

We were flirting with big time, now we are about to go very small time.

The University made a decent commitment. Hurley just porked us, in more ways than one.

In no way shape or form should a departing coach have ANY say on who the University hires as his replacement. That would be like letting Baron pick his successor.
DAN HURLEY is the one trying to fast track the job for Dave Cox. HE WORKED IT INTO THE CONTRACT. THERE'S A BUYOUT ATTACHED. THAT'S HOW SURE DAN IS THAT DAVE COX WOULD BE A GREAT HEAD COACH AND HE WAS SO VALUABLE TO DAN THAT HE WORKED THAT INTO HIS CONTRACT TO KEEP DAVE AROUND FOR AS LONG AS HE COULD.

Everything you're saying is a Billy Madison meme on repeat.

So now is Dan Hurley Jim Baron? Are you really making that connection? How you were able to put together such a dumb, short-sighted, and hypocritcal post in 4 sentences is actually impressive.

Hurley porked us??? Seriously?? Hurley put this program on the map. It's a turn key program now.

Jerry D was a slime ball and he was responsible for literally one guy. People thought hiring him would keep Lamar when Lamar was leaving to be a top 5 draft pick. That's short-sighted and dumb in the same vein as your post. I'll leave the rest of the "Lamar came here because he followed a guy and loved Rhode Island" fairy tale to any 40 year olds out there who are still hoping to catch Santa coming down the chimney.

Dave Cox recruited top level guys - basically all of them. He also was the scout on nearly every major win here, under Dan (the guy everyone is freaking out about), who Dan credits with a lot of his reasons for success.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

This Tom Moore thing sounds a bit fishy to me. Moore said that he called Hurley when he was fired from Quinnipiac to ask for a job on his staff. It seems to me like Moore's sole purpose was to get Hurley to UConn. And then you hear the rumors about Calhoun attending practice and spending time with Hurley. It's clear to me at least that there was an all out effort by Calhoun and friends to get Hurley to leave. And it worked. Who knows if these same frauds tried to sabotage Kevin Ollie at UConn.
7 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Dan did what was always expected. He did what all good URI coaches do. To URI credit, the offer that the school put forward was a high caliber. We know Dan always said there was another team in his future. The fact that it is UConn blows donkey dick, but fits a lot of the criteria if I were Dan looking for the job I was going to retire from. Objectively UConn has shown they will stick with a coach who's winning, driving distance of mom and dad, commitment to basketball and banner garnering history. If there is a succession plan in place, and recruits were told this up front, then it comes down to do we trust Thorr and his plans for URI basketball, or do we not?

That reasonable approach doesn't mean I am not emotional hurt today, but it is like when you get broken up with anybody, your first instinct is anger and hurt and lashing out is the response.

Dan has given little cues since really the middle of the winning streak he was moving on. little things like on the radio show saying "if I am here next year..."
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

jcru wrote:Let me guess: anyone who doesn't agree with giving Cox the job TODAY is a troll, correct?
yes.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dan Hurley should not be allowed to fast track his replacement.

He did a great job, exceeding our expectations, but today is a screw job by any measure.

Forcing the University to hire Cox, completes the screw job
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Blue Man wrote:
NJ03 wrote:Programs lose coaches. It happens. To blame this on the fans is utterly ridiculous and speaking out of frustration. Look at Xavier. They’re about to lose their fourth coach this century even though they’re now in the big east and have made something like 17 of 18 tournaments. Thank you Dan for putting the program in the right direction but now is not the time to feel sorry for ourselves. Show some grit, move on, and keep this thing going.
Um yeah that’s exaxtly the point. Xavier fans LOVE basketball and support it properly. They sell out games all the time. They have the support to keep that rolling.

A coach doesn’t make a program. That’s what Dan has been trying to tell everyone the whole time. If we support the program from day one of the Cox era we won’t have this problem.

If everyone gets all butthurt and then decides to not buy season tickets or donate from day one, of waiting until they saw enough to be worthy of a big time $20 donation...we will be right here again.

Dan gave us the road map for building a successful program. Now it’s up to us to follow it.

Say what you want, but DH going to UConn is the most hypocritical thing he could have done. Look at the state of their program in a non P5 league. His whole family speak goes out the window by going to a program that threw there own family to the side and did everything they could do to make him look like a crook so they could get out of paying him... if he went to Pitt, I would have understood more than UConn.... Everything he has said looks like BS, UConn is all about the money, because there is no family there.

BTW, I thought about this for 13 seconds, so I’m good.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ace said that UConn is the job that has fascinated Dan. That is the job he has wanted. If UConn would have been open last year or two years ago, he would have left then. After he and Calhoun discussed the job, his mind was already made up. Get Ollie and out and it's Dan's job. 2 million a year to stay here, plus all the enhancements Dan asked for is WAY MORE than anybody here thought URI would offer him to stay on. WAY WAY MORE!!! Go back and look at what we thought he wanted. At one time, increased attendance would keep him here. Then charters and assistant's salaries. Then the facility. Promised, promised and promised! As soon as the UConn job opened and was offered to him, he was gone. Maybe he wasn't thinking about the UConn job minutes after we lost to Duke, but he's been thinking about it for years!!! Ask Ace! She knows. He and his agent played URI and Pitt to get more money. It worked. He is now where he has wanted to be and is also a rich man. Yet, we as fans SUCK! Wow. Dan is God and we SUCK! Unbelieveable. Now you know why I don't want to post here anymore.
13 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Blue Man wrote:
jcru wrote:Let me guess: anyone who doesn't agree with giving Cox the job TODAY is a troll, correct?
yes.
That's unfortunate, Blue Man.

You know, I've been here long enough to REMEMBER you coming onto the scene. You've always been passionate, and everyone loves that.

I'm not going to argue with you, or them. I stated my peace, do what you intend to do. And then deal with it win or lose.

Yours truly, jcru, "RhodyFan, RhodyFan2, RhodyFan3" ... aka "troll"
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

After reading this thread continually, my belief is that Blue Man has offered up the best perspective on the URI program on all aspects, from Dan Hurley's contributions, to prospects on the new coach, on the need for the University to think bigger on funding the BB program and not waiting for Hurley's departure to act and the need for a growing donor base and giving to URI Athletics especially basketball. Kudos to him.
4 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Mongo wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
NJ03 wrote:Programs lose coaches. It happens. To blame this on the fans is utterly ridiculous and speaking out of frustration. Look at Xavier. They’re about to lose their fourth coach this century even though they’re now in the big east and have made something like 17 of 18 tournaments. Thank you Dan for putting the program in the right direction but now is not the time to feel sorry for ourselves. Show some grit, move on, and keep this thing going.
Um yeah that’s exaxtly the point. Xavier fans LOVE basketball and support it properly. They sell out games all the time. They have the support to keep that rolling.

A coach doesn’t make a program. That’s what Dan has been trying to tell everyone the whole time. If we support the program from day one of the Cox era we won’t have this problem.

If everyone gets all butthurt and then decides to not buy season tickets or donate from day one, of waiting until they saw enough to be worthy of a big time $20 donation...we will be right here again.

Dan gave us the road map for building a successful program. Now it’s up to us to follow it.

Say what you want, but DH going to UConn is the most hypocritical thing he could have done. Look at the state of their program in a non P5 league. His whole family speak goes out the window by going to a program that threw there own family to the side and did everything they could do to make him look like a crook so they could get out of paying him... if he went to Pitt, I would have understood more than UConn.... Everything he has said looks like BS, UConn is all about the money, because there is no family there.

this.

if it were Pitt, I'd shrug my shoulders and say best of luck. Top level ACC job at a sleeping giant...no hard feelings

But to go to UConn, a program that has acted in polar opposite to the virtues Dan has preached is where I say fuck off. He preaches family and loyalty and honesty. What exactly at UConn promotes those values?

Throwing a former great player out on his ass after he wins you a national title is family?
Calling the NCAA on yourselves to fuck him out of the $10 million you owe him is loyal and honest?

I'm mad not just because of us getting screwed. I'm mad because he doesn't realize what he's walking into.

Calhoun is still the puppet master pulling the strings there. Dan wont get to do things his way, he will be expected to carry out the old man's orders. They expect him to be a lap dog, and if he pushes back they'll run him out on a rail same as Ollie.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BTW, I'd also like to say goodbye to Ace. She was awesome here.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

jcru wrote:Al Skinner took a while to get up to speed, jonathan, is that what you want? that' s best case scenario.
Big difference. Penders left Al with a cancer named Eric Leslie and not much else. Our cupboard is hardly bare today.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This sucks....

I don't think you can blame the fans all that much.
How could you ever fairly compare the two fan bases.
Uconn has had 4 national championships to build that fan base. Rhody had intermittent eras of success that held just a decent fan base afloat.
Nobody could expect us to have the fan support they do.

It's the fact it's Uconn and you don't get offers like that very often.
This could be the place where he can win national titles.
Be a real big shot like his brother and father.

Maybe if our fans magically supported him tenfold in the wake of 17 years of crippling mediocrity he would have stayed maybe, but this has almost everything to do with the fact that Uconn is that big time school that we wish we were.

I think he signed away a chance to be more of a legendary coach.
If he actually made us the gonzaga or Wichita state of the east he could have been more revered here if he did that than he ever will at Uconn unless he really does something unprecedented.

I just hope that we can find the person that can keep this program trending upward.
Cant survive another jerry duh Baron fiasco.
Don't think we will endure that with Dooley and Thor at the helm. Wouldn't be mad about Dave Cox. Keep these players coming in. Smart guy, got most of our good players. Not sure who would be better than him at this point.

Thank you Dan.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I hope Ace sticks around and posts anyway.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Mongo wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

this.

if it were Pitt, I'd shrug my shoulders and say best of luck. Top level ACC job at a sleeping giant...no hard feelings

But to go to UConn, a program that has acted in polar opposite to the virtues Dan has preached is where I say fuck off. He preaches family and loyalty and honesty. What exactly at UConn promotes those values?

Throwing a former great player out on his ass after he wins you a national title is family?
Calling the NCAA on yourselves to fuck him out of the $10 million you owe him is loyal and honest?

I'm mad not just because of us getting screwed. I'm mad because he doesn't realize what he's walking into.

Calhoun is still the puppet master pulling the strings there. Dan wont get to do things his way, he will be expected to carry out the old man's orders. They expect him to be a lap dog, and if he pushes back they'll run him out on a rail same as Ollie.
Well Dan did say this is an opportunity to go to a big time school and do things the right way and set some kind of precedence for that.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

PeterRamTime wrote:This sucks....

Uconn has had 4 national championships to build that fan base. Rhody had intermittent eras of success that held just a decent fan base afloat.

Maybe if our fans magically supported him tenfold in the wake of 17 years of crippling mediocrity he would have stayed maybe, but this has almost everything to do with the fact that Uconn is that big time school that we wish we were.

If he actually made us the gonzaga or Wichita state of the east he could have been more revered here if he did that than he ever will at Uconn unless he really does something unprecedented.

I just hope that we can find the person that can keep this program trending upward.
Don't think we will endure that with Dooley and Thor at the helm. Wouldn't be mad about Dave Cox. Keep these players coming in. Smart guy, got most of our good players. Not sure who would be better than him at this point.

Thank you Dan.
A good perspective on the situation.
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Mongo wrote:Say what you want, but DH going to UConn is the most hypocritical thing he could have done. Look at the state of their program in a non P5 league.
Hate to say it, this is true. Danny is, by in large, full of shit if you look at the timing of things and the rhetoric he spoke late in the year. He "fulfilled his promise" of winning A10, getting us to tournament, and so on... so he feels no guilt leaving the program in the hands of Cox.

Fact is, though, Cox isn't a Hurley. He doesn't have Hurley connections throughout NCAABB -- we will likely have a nice couple years with the recruits coming in, if we don't lose them, then we go right back to mediocreville. Sorry guys, it's true. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

See ya on the job market in 5, Dan. Some lessons need to be learned firsthand and the bullshit rhetoric that UConn administration is spewing to you about making a positive impact on young people is just that. Rhetoric. See what happens when you don't win. See what happens after you have that meltdown on the sideline like you did so many times here. Best of luck, bud. You'll need it.

I truly do wish him the best because unfortunately I feel as if the wool is being pulled over his eyes -- he was sold a chance to make a lasting impact on the landscape of college basketball. It won't happen. That stuff happens organically, you can't manufacture it. Maybe if we're lucky enough he'll come back after UConn fires him.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I would just say, i think everyone here would agree Dan knows his basketball and coaching. While an ex coach should not dictate in hiring of a new coach, there is nothing wrong with his very knowledgeable and informed opinion. And though we are all disappointed and some may have initial bad sentiments with Dan and situation, I surely don't think Dan would suggest something that he thought would be in the University's worst interest, but something he truly believed.

Also, Thorr and Dooley are running the show now and I think most value their opinion and work and if they feel this is the best move then do it. No more Carothers and Petro running the show, we are now in very capable hands.
3 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Kind of surprised always thought if Hurley left it would be because uri did not come up with a decent offer. If reports are true of 2 million a year and a practice facility are true don't think you could ask for much more of a commitment from them.
Last edited by woodennickel1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
10 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I'm ready to head to the Ryan Center at a moments notice when the announce the new head coach. I'm ready to go all fucking in on what Thorr believes is best going forward! #GoRhody. Let's keep this momentum going!!
11 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Just wait until he sticks with man D all game and gets crushed by a team he shouldn’t be playing man against and the UConn fans realize that there is a limit to his coaching that is his own stubbornness. They will love that.
4 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Obadiah wrote:After reading this thread continually, my belief is that Blue Man has offered up the best perspective on the URI program on all aspects, from Dan Hurley's contributions, to prospects on the new coach, on the need for the University to think bigger on funding the BB program and not waiting for Hurley's departure to act and the need for a growing donor base and giving to URI Athletics especially basketball. Kudos to him.
Hurley's grade here is a solid B+. 6 years. 2 Tournaments. Rounds of 32. Increased funding for the program and got it on solid footing APR-wise. What he is good at( program building) may not be what takes URI to the next level. So, while this puts a lot of risk on the table that Rhody totally effs up this hire, it also places some upside on the table. That the next guy is the guy who takes Rhody places. Dan could be the Buck Showalter and Joe Torre could be walking through that door.
As for the other stuff, yes, Rhody stepped up but you guys let me know the next time you turn down an extra million bucks per year. All coaches are the same. Even Coach K flirted with the Lakers. That's because they are human beings. Just don't fall for the "son of a parole officer" garbage next time. They want to squeeze all that they can out of their earnings potential. It's not like he was choosing between coaching for two million and cleaning gutters for three million. The guy is still doing what he loves and someone is throwing a million bucks more at him.
I'm excited to see who the next guy is. I do wonder why Cox had head coach in waiting (and why it was never reported before) when DH was going to be here forever. I would hate if they didn't interview guys. This is a good job and keeping the applicant pool at one is one of the dumbest things you can do, even if Cox is eventually the guy.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

giovanni wrote:
I would just say, i think everyone here would agree Dan knows his basketball and coaching. While an ex coach should not dictate in hiring of a new coach, there is nothing wrong with his very knowledgeable and informed opinion. And though we are all disappointed and some may have initial bad sentiments with Dan and situation, I surely don't think Dan would suggest something that he thought would be in the University's worst interest, but something he truly believed.

Also, Thorr and Dooley are running the show now and I think most value their opinion and work and if they feel this is the best move then do it. No more Carothers and Petro running the show, we are now in very capable hands.
It's not just Dan. It's the players too.

It's not like this is a listless ship where we need to get a "new voice" or "change the culture" - that's been done.

It matters what everyone in and around the program things now - they made it first rate.

I feel like everyone on here always talks fondly of Penders and Skinner and would either take them back with open arms or value their input on a coach. Why is Dan all of a sudden stricken from that list?

If we hired any other coach in 2012 we're nowhere close to where we are now in terms of the enhancements and program advancements we can now provide. Dan deserves a thank you, and now we move on.
7 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Blue Man wrote:
xcrun wrote:This is a university problem. I say vote with your money.

There's a cadre of people on here who get close to the players and coaches and that clouds their judgement. They get invited to the cocktail parties and then the coach can do no wrong bc it's their buddy. Same stuff happened with Baron.

This is on Thorr, Dooley, and Danny boy. Who collapsed at thre end of the season. Probably because be was looking at new jobs rather than coaching.

Top recruiting class next year gone. Thanks Dan. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
You're dumb. This is wrong. You can be close to something personally and understand it professionally.

Thorr and Dooley deserve nothing but your thank yous and appreciation for putting a first rate offer out there. If we had the funding to make this offer last year, and have already broken ground on a practice facility Dan is still here.

Lol "collapsed" - unless you're donating you're part of the fans who are the problem. If you're donating a shit ton of money feel free to be a miserable prick, at least then you're helping the program be able to extend offers that are legitimate. I certainly don't donate a shit ton of money, so I give what I can and support the god damn program in every other way possible as a fan.

If you're not donating and all you bring to the table is your "fandom" and instead of supporting the program you are an overcricital ass who has the "wait and see" approach on whether or not you will support or root for the next guy.

Then after Dave Cox has "convinced" you that he's worthy of your support 4 years down the line and you decide to start giving or rooting or whatever - it'll be too late again.

You want this place to be attractive? Sell out opening night when we raise some more banners. Support this program NOW. It takes charter flights, practice facilities, and good assistant coaches to recruit good players and develop them into elite guys.

Or, tell me I'm an asshole (I am) and then go back to doing what we had always done as a fan base until last week.

We should be thankful of the job Dan did to get this program up to this level. We should be proud that our athletic department put an offer out there that was worthy of a top quality D1 coach, AND we should support the next coach and team like you are saying you would've supported Dan if he stayed.

So how would you describe the end of our season? Definitely a collapse. After St Bonaventure we did not play the same. I bet that's when the offer talk started.

And yes you can be close.

Not questioning your loyalty as a fan, but you seem to have become close to the administration.

And saying not supporting Cox is trolling is just wrong. We don't want a Jerry D situation. Honestly get someone good. Is Pitino available?

Maybe you are right. Maybe the key is to keep donating. I don't know.

And yes we probably need to build the Athletics practice facility which has been on the back burner for a year.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I'm just happy we didn't lose Thorr to Buffalo. He's incredibly important in this next hire and I think we should all trust he'll find the best person for the job.

I think it's Cox, but his assistants will be incredibly important. He can't be our lead recruiter and run the team. He needs some help.

My one disagreement with Blue Man is that I think at best this forum, and other non top boosters, could have raised 500k-1 million in the last 5-6 years. That would not have been enough. We got to 2 million. I'm not sure there was an offer that would have kept Hurley. It was the 4 rings that lured him the other way.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

woodennickel1 wrote:Kind of surprised always thought if Hurley left it would be because uri did not come up with a decent offer. If reports are true of 2 million a year and a practice facility are true don't think you could ask for much more of a commitment from them.
yup, hence the anger.

we gave him everything he asked for to stay and even matched UConn in money before they added more to it
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Blue Man wrote:
giovanni wrote:

It's not like this is a listless ship where we need to get a "new voice" or "change the culture" - that's been done.

It matters what everyone in and around the program things now - they made it first rate.

I feel like everyone on here always talks fondly of Penders and Skinner and would either take them back with open arms or value their input on a coach. Why is Dan all of a sudden stricken from that list?

If we hired any other coach in 2012 we're nowhere close to where we are now in terms of the enhancements and program advancements we can now provide. Dan deserves a thank you, and now we move on.
Because they didn't go to an old rival who won't even play us.
1 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

PeterRamTime wrote:This sucks....

Thank you Dan.

THIS

After all the years of torture with Baron, how could you expect the fan base to magically just start dumping money into the program from day 1 w/ Hurley? We knew it was going to take some time to build up the fan support. To sit here and say this is 100% on the fans is not fair in my opinion. If we had won 2 national championships and THEN endured the drought we did, then I could understand this thinking a bit more, but not with the way history has actually been for us the last 18 years.
5 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

rhodylaw wrote:Just wait until he sticks with man D all game and gets crushed by a team he shouldn’t be playing man against and the UConn fans realize that there is a limit to his coaching that is his own stubbornness. They will love that.
This times 1,000,000. It's going to be a tough, tough road for him in Storrs. The difference in the degree of magnification when you make a couple of small mistakes is exponentially higher out there.

I hope he likes competing for foosball money!
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Blue Man wrote:
giovanni wrote:

Very well said, couldn't agree more with entire post. Excellent post
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

jcru wrote:Dan Hurley should not be allowed to fast track his replacement.

He did a great job, exceeding our expectations, but today is a screw job by any measure.

Forcing the University to hire Cox, completes the screw job
If this is true, that Cox is HC-in-waiting, then you need to understand that Dan Hurley did not draw up that contract, Thorr did. DH maybe played a role in it, but Thorr signs off on all of those decisions, and he must have thought that Cox was ready for a head coaching job and was going to get (if he didn't already have) other HC offers.

I'm totally on board with Cox taking over. Not saying you're a troll, just saying you're wrong.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

If we don't get Cox or some really big time offer for someone that can get really big time recruits right away then we will lose a lot of momentum.
A rebuild will be very exhausting.
With Cox we maybe keep everybody and stay in the NCAA tournament hunt next year.

Would hate to see someone like Fatts leave since Fatts said he came to URI for Dan.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

1 other note as a reminder to make this a new thread once this all settles down:
I tried to donate a couple months ago - nothing crazy, but a couple hundred bucks nonetheless. Anyway, an error message popped up every time I tried to push it through. I sent an email on the contact us/support page and never got a response. I was trying to give them my money and I got zero response. I ended up giving a couple times a month or so after, but my god we need to improve on all facets if we're going to be big time. I've never once got a call to donate, I've never once received an email to donate (I'm not an alumni, but I'm in their system), I was never asked to donate last year in Sacramento...lets be more proactive in our approach to increase our donor pool and MARKETING our program.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Well he was on a path to accomplish what he set out to do here, but he stopped short, we are not the Gonzaga of the east. Every time he asked for enhancements Thorr and co made it happen and if this offer by URI which is being floated out there is correct, then DH fooled me and I am naive after all. Kudos Dre3000, I took the lying Dan Hurley at his word, you had sources, you win. Never again, its all business and only business. So Dan Hurley wasn't focused on making us the new UConn, he was focused on making himself look pretty to the old UConn. If we told him he would have everything UConn could offer him by year 7 that would have been a lie, he had no right to expect such fantasy, but to say the investment towards that end wasn't good enough is also a lie. This decision is solely about his personal career path. Thanks for cutting your coaching teeth with us DH. Yeah I'm pissed and if you're such awesome fans why aren't you pissed? This is some BULLSHIT!!! FUCK UCONN!!! and I hope Hurley reverts back to the stubborn jam square pegs into round holes coach he was when he got here.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote:
URI_05 wrote:He’s just like the rest of them. Just talked a better game.
Completely wrong. He wanted the same commitment to the program that he gave. UConn was willing to do that. We can’t. We don’t have fans or donors that value this like they do.

It will look like he took the money but that’s just his agent doing agent things. This was on all the enhancements they were willing to do that we can’t or won’t.

Charters to all games are great. What about charters to recruiting visits? Being able to pay your assistant coaches more is great. What about paying them enough where they view the job as a destination instead of needed to rehire every year or two? A plan for a practice facility is great. What about actually having one?

Plus the fan base. Ours sucks as a basketball school. It took 6 years, 2 A10 titles, and 2 NCAA victories for us to finally feel like wow maybe next year we’ll sell out our games. He’ll get that support from day one when he should’ve gotten that here.

Remember this feeling, and remember yesterday when so many people all of a sudden started to donate.

I guess the Baron 2.0 crowd finally got their wish though so there’s that.
I think it is time to abandon that narrative. He was committed here when the institutional support and the fan support were admittedly lacking, and when they start to catch up that is when he pulls the escape hatch? He talked about those things because he thought URI couldn't or wouldn't do them and it would be easy to pin his eventual departure on that. Here, though, the school actually (somehow) came up with a package we never would have committed to in the past - they called his bluff. And he bounced.

No hard feelings toward Dan, I ain't mad. This is the way the business works. Don't blame it on the fans, or the school. I don't think other posters should blame it on Dan, either. These are the laws of nature that govern college sports. Talk of how those laws don't apply to you is branding. The goal has to be to build URI basketball program to a point where these laws of nature work for us, not against us. Dan could have done that if he really was #different, but he's not so we will have to figure it out ourselves - with the next coach, and if necessary the one after that and the one after that.

URI wasn't going to go from VCR film sessions to budgets bigger than UConn's overnight; Dan knew that and so did anyone else paying attention. Once you accept that, we can get over blaming the school and the fans - there was nothing we were ever going to be able to do once one of these jobs came for him if he wasn't all-in on the long term plan to build this. And his not being all-in for that doesn't make him a bad guy, it just makes him exactly like all the other coaches.

None of that take away from what did Dan at this place and for this place. Even just the last two years were worth all of the investments of time and money, but that isn't all we got out of this deal. This is now a much, much better job and program than it was when he got here. We should always be thankful for that, but we should also let the mythmaking stuff about Hurley die a natural and dignified death and move on.

Rhody will be back.
17 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

PeterRamTime wrote:If we don't get Cox or some really big time offer for someone that can get really big time recruits right away then we will lose a lot of momentum.
A rebuild will be very exhausting.
With Cox we maybe keep everybody and stay in the NCAA tournament hunt next year.

Would hate to see someone like Fatts leave since Fatts said he came to URI for Dan.
I recall this in one of my classes its called the Jerry D theory. I thought it was disproved.

And Fatts is gone. That ship left port with Dan.

Hopefully we can find a coach with a kid who can play. A guy who graduates players.

Don't trust Thory boy with your money. Spend it on the Kleenex we all need.

Man this year was fun.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

When Hurley was hired, we used to talk about "Buzz"

Penders had buzz
Skinner, after about a 4 year rebuilding, had some buzz
Harrick had buzz
DeGregorio had no buzz
Baron had no buzz
Hurley had buzz

Does this upcoming hire have Buzz? Does it excite anyone who isn't close to the Athletics Dept who thinks Thorr cannot fail, even thought he's doing the complete opposite as last time? Does it excite ANYONE out there covering college basketball? Does it excite anyone outside of this forum?

Without buzz, no donations, no interest, no nothing. Apathy. Smallball
0 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

xcrun wrote:Well if Dan doesn't think it we probably can't.

Also, think about the season ticket email blast. They wanted everyone to pay knowing if was going to be a bad year next year.

At least parking won't be bad next year.

URI fans should make the parking bad next year. THat is the point. If our attendance dips appreciably, then this is on our program. Lets keep it going.
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Now the question is, with the new NCAA transfer regulations, who follows him to Connecticut? Fatts? Some of the incoming freshmen? Are they considered Cox's guys because he recruited them?

For me, this is the final question to determine how committed Dan was to our program. If any of our players follow him there, I lose mostly every shred of respect I have. That's the only foundation we have to keep bringing players in right now -- the structure that the UNIVERSITY provided him the resources to build.
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

jcru wrote:When Hurley was hired, we used to talk about "Buzz"

Penders had buzz
Skinner, after about a 4 year rebuilding, had some buzz
Harrick had buzz
DeGregorio had no buzz
Baron had no buzz
Hurley had buzz

Does this upcoming hire have Buzz? Does it excite anyone who isn't close to the Athletics Dept who thinks Thorr cannot fail, even thought he's doing the complete opposite as last time? Does it excite ANYONE out there covering college basketball? Does it excite anyone outside of this forum?

Without buzz, no donations, no interest, no nothing. Apathy. Smallball
I'm sure that David Cox is a good coach. But he's going to generate zero buzz for the program. And if they lose the recruits AND hire Cox.....you're looking at a situation that may on the level of 2011-2012 as far as fan support.
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

scine20 wrote: The only difference I can see between URI and UConn is the money he was offered.
then you aren't seeing clearly
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

jcru wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:OK, we got it, you've said this over and over again now. What's your plan? Who do you go after that's better than Cox and will come here?

I'm not expecting a miracle, just the same exact process that brought Hurley here. A search process that scours the entire region for people who have real head coaching accomplishments under their belt
Your assumption that Thorr hasn't done this is the massive flaw in your position. We have given you concrete examples of successful internal hires at programs we would want to emulate. We haven't had a qualified candidate to execute such a hire in the last several decades. We do now.

Thorr has Cox on the list along with others. This process is NOT unlike how Thorr got Hurley. You don't think Thorr had a back-up plan if Dan didn't come here?
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

It'd be a real shame if Hurley withdrew all the money that Blue Man donated these past couple days. Real shame.
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

rhodylaw wrote:Ban him from the state! UConn? Guarantee we make a sweet 16 before them.
Dude, this isnt a good look
0 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Is Pitino available? Let's get someone good.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180322-094920.jpg
1 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

ATPTourFan wrote:
jcru wrote:

Your assumption that Thorr hasn't done this is the massive flaw in your position. We have given you concrete examples of successful internal hires at programs we would want to emulate. We haven't had a qualified candidate to execute such a hire in the last several decades. We do now.

Thorr has Cox on the list along with others. This process is NOT unlike how Thorr got Hurley. You don't think Thorr had a back-up plan if Dan didn't come here?
The question remains how committed... is he willing to honor that commitment with a new hire that is unproven? Cox or anyone else. At least with Hurley we knew that momentum was there and going to continue for at least another 4 years. I don't see money being thrown at charters or practice facilities with out Dan here. I hope Thorr proves me wrong.
0 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

xcrun wrote:
Paleoguy wrote:Six year deal. Says it was UConn's history that made the difference:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ball-coach
Isn't that in the past. Could have been us boys. Well this was fun for 2 years.

This Small We Do.

Yeah be sure to spend money donating. We will be 7-26 next year. UCONN will win a national championship in 5.
Stop, really, take a deep breath. I hope this is just a jilted lover's reaction and you just need some time.

Isnt a good look.

I still love you though.
1 x