The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I understand Dan’s decision to go for the money but wish he hadn’t led us to believe he was different. Saying he didn’t give two craps about other schools’ job openings. Saying URI basketball is family and all others aren’t. Wanting to build the Gonzaga of the East at URI. Etc. Etc. It was all just him blowing smoke up our arses. I’m extremely disappointed and at this time I hope our program keeps moving on the upward trajectory it has had the last few years and UCONN continues its recent trajectory also.

Regarding recruits and current players, we all know they are very loyal to Dan so this could be a big hit to the program if we lose even just 2 or 3 of those. I’m concerned about Fatts (very close to DH), Adams (chose URI because of the “family” atmosphere) and Harris (biggest recruit in years and possibly a program changer). This sucks big time!
4 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I am extremely disappointed in Hurley. As a URI fan you should feel duped. He's a complete hypocrite and you should never take anything he says as having meaning anymore.

It would be one thing if he had left to go to, say, Xavier. Or even Pitt. Neither school has NCAA issues. Both are in good conferences. The only difference I can see between URI and UConn is the money he was offered. He clearly doesn't care about things like integrity. There's no way in hell I'm going to root for him to succeed at UConn.
Last edited by scine20 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

People take the 10 second rule before posting nasty stuff.

if someone said to you 6 years ago that he would do what he did and then left, everyone would have signed up. yes it hurts, yes it sucks but we need to move on and thank the guy for getting us to this point.
5 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

well, Shaka Smart was just an assistant until being given the keys at VCU...time for Cox to follow suit
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

rhody12 wrote:
RamIt! wrote:Honestly... if URI was committed to winning and saw this coming as we all did and as we all know they did as well, why were there never big program enhancements sooner. They would have committed to making these enhancements sooner, not at that last minute. Typical RI fashion to get the most you can for the cheapest you can then let it die and crumble quickly and then have everyone one pointing fingers at each other.
And what exactly is going to pay for these enhancements sooner? Don't you think if it was just that easy it would have been done? Winning fixes all problems and Dan showed that. We just need to win more and more money comes.

Dumb post.

They allegedly committed to build a practice facility in 2 years, so they know they can get the money, they didn't chase it soon enough.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I believe this is Aces twitter account

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think the scope of URI's offer made Dan pause, before he ultimately took the job he was going to take for a while according to my source.

Yes things were in the works for a while. Moore is going with him. As for my source, this guy has been on point almost without fail.

The players have also known what's going on. Even the recruits were told when they were being recruited, that Cox would take over at some point and if so, they would stay.

So it's time to move on....URI will honor those enhancements that they offered Dan, to Cox and to whoever he hires as assistants. Not sure if Boswell will be staying.

As for Cox's salary, it won't be what they offered Dan, but it will be pretty generous. Should be a pretty smooth transition. Thanks to Dan for that.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Ban him from the state! UConn? Guarantee we make a sweet 16 before them.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodyhooopz wrote:People take the 10 second rule before posting nasty stuff.

if someone said to you 6 years ago that he would do what he did and then left, everyone would have signed up. yes it hurts, yes it sucks but we need to move on and thank the guy for getting us to this point.
took 10 seconds...yup, he's still a 2 faced liar like the rest of em
6 x
---
---
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

gorhody89 wrote:
Rhody09 wrote:[/quote

I've said it before and I'll say I think again if we want to have a big time basketball program football has to go. Ask gonzaga, Xavier, Dayton, and VCU if it's worth it
0 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

You cant be grateful to a guy who was all about the money. That's a trade. You're gratitude means nothing to him.

It shows how much power he has over you that he is completely screwing us and you say thanks.

I hope he doea terrible in CT. Hopefully he moves out of state.

Maybe his dad had loyalty but his kids don't.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......next coach.....groups; continuity Cox.......big name/career rehab_____________. Favorite son/no HC experience Preston
Young up and commer Oats.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If Cox is indeed the new coach I hope URI keeps its plans to enhance the program.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

Six year deal. Says it was UConn's history that made the difference:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ball-coach
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:
URI_05 wrote:He’s just like the rest of them. Just talked a better game.
Completely wrong. He wanted the same commitment to the program that he gave. UConn was willing to do that. We can’t. We don’t have fans or donors that value this like they do.

It will look like he took the money but that’s just his agent doing agent things. This was on all the enhancements they were willing to do that we can’t or won’t.

Charters to all games are great. What about charters to recruiting visits? Being able to pay your assistant coaches more is great. What about paying them enough where they view the job as a destination instead of needed to rehire every year or two? A plan for a practice facility is great. What about actually having one?

Plus the fan base. Ours sucks as a basketball school. It took 6 years, 2 A10 titles, and 2 NCAA victories for us to finally feel like wow maybe next year we’ll sell out our games. He’ll get that support from day one when he should’ve gotten that here.

Remember this feeling, and remember yesterday when so many people all of a sudden started to donate.

I guess the Baron 2.0 crowd finally got their wish though so there’s that.
I don't think this is all the way fair. If the rumored offer is true, than it certainly seemed we were willing to match the commitment.

Also, in regards to fan base, let's not act like they're not as fair weather as it gets
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

"URI's offer, per sources, was $2 million per year for seven years beginning in July 2019 with a commitment to build a basketball-only practice facility to be completed within the next two years, along with staff salary increases and ability to charter for all away games."

Wow. I would say URI delivered there. I wonder if DH will dodge playing URI over the years.
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

NJ03 wrote:Programs lose coaches. It happens. To blame this on the fans is utterly ridiculous and speaking out of frustration. Look at Xavier. They’re about to lose their fourth coach this century even though they’re now in the big east and have made something like 17 of 18 tournaments. Thank you Dan for putting the program in the right direction but now is not the time to feel sorry for ourselves. Show some grit, move on, and keep this thing going.
Um yeah that’s exaxtly the point. Xavier fans LOVE basketball and support it properly. They sell out games all the time. They have the support to keep that rolling.

A coach doesn’t make a program. That’s what Dan has been trying to tell everyone the whole time. If we support the program from day one of the Cox era we won’t have this problem.

If everyone gets all butthurt and then decides to not buy season tickets or donate from day one, of waiting until they saw enough to be worthy of a big time $20 donation...we will be right here again.

Dan gave us the road map for building a successful program. Now it’s up to us to follow it.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Hell of a job by Thorr. That offer is amazing. Lett's keep that focus and commitment going forward for the next coach.
10 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Paleoguy wrote:Six year deal. Says it was UConn's history that made the difference:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ball-coach
Isn't that in the past. Could have been us boys. Well this was fun for 2 years.

This Small We Do.

Yeah be sure to spend money donating. We will be 7-26 next year. UCONN will win a national championship in 5.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Blue Man, Baron 2.0 crowd is the crowd that is attempting to fast-track the job to the assistant coach.

We were flirting with big time, now we are about to go very small time.

The University made a decent commitment. Hurley just porked us, in more ways than one.

In no way shape or form should a departing coach have ANY say on who the University hires as his replacement. That would be like letting Baron pick his successor.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

just got a text alert on my phone

SALT ON WOUNDS
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Why the crusade against the URI basketball fan?

There is a coach that took a Rhode Island basketball team to the Final Four available. (runs for cover)
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I might get roasted for this, but the way Dan coached against Duke, it almost looked like he and everyone else [his players] knew he was gone.

Wonder if URI and UConn will do a home and home.....not counting on it.

ECR, hope that doesn't mean players or recruits are leaving...then somebody was wrong.

If we lose players and recruits, then by all means open up the job to all comers and conduct a national search.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

It's not about him leaving. It's about him leaving for the job he left for after saying the things he said.
5 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

how are people that want Cox as coach baron 2.0? not following this logic
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote:I might get roasted for this, but the way Dan coached against Duke, it almost looked like he and everyone else [his players] knew he was gone.

ECR, hope that doesn't mean players or recruits are leaving...then somebody was wrong.

If we lose players and recruits, then by all means open up the job to all comers and conduct a national search.

Easy there 78
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

scine20 wrote:

It's not about him leaving. It's about him leaving for the job he left for after saying the things he said.
He always said he wanted a place he could win national championships at. UConn has 4 and everything he is asking for at URI they already have. It also seems that the UConn job is one he has always envied.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rambone 78 just basically stated that the fix was in for a long time, that the players are all in on it, that the job would be handed to Cox on a Silver platter and everyone would agree to stay!

You give Cox the job like that, the ink won't even be dry on the contract and two of the incoming recruiting class and one of the holdovers will declare they are gone within a month from now. Mark it down.

That's about as little league as you can go. THANK GOD Rod isn't here to witness this. He'll be turning over in his grave.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

scine20 wrote:

this.

its not the leaving, its the circumstances around it.

it's him going against every thing he has said for 6 years here.

it's him turning his back on the program after they meet every demand he had to stay

it's him throwing it all away for an extra million a year.
5 x
---
---
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

ms1111 wrote:Dre,
You alluded Hurley to Uconn was in the works for a while (before the season was close to ending). Was that info coming from Moore or Cox during the season? You can spill the beans now.
Of course I won't give up the source (though it was neither of those 2), but this was allegedly in the works the moment Moore was put on staff.

And that thread claiming Hurley met with Calhoun about his interest during the season, has some truth to it. I wasn't told he met with Calhoun specifically, but was told he met with "uconn officials". Whatever that means. That's why I wanted to call BS on the "I haven't thought about anything but coaching this team" nonsense. But I knew no one really wanted to hear that at the time.
5 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

jcru wrote:Rambone 78 just basically stated that the fix was in for a long time, that the players are all in on it, that the job would be handed to Cox on a Silver platter and everyone would agree to stay!

You give Cox the job like that, the ink won't even be dry on the contract and two of the incoming recruiting class and one of the holdovers will declare they are gone within a month from now. Mark it down.

That's about as little league as you can go. THANK GOD Rod isn't here to witness this. He'll be turning over in his grave.
Shaka Smart moved up from assistant to head coach at VCU with no prior experience

Chris Mack moved up from assistant to head coach at X with no prior experience

try again bud
3 x
---
---
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

jcru wrote:Rambone 78 just basically stated that the fix was in for a long time, that the players are all in on it, that the job would be handed to Cox on a Silver platter and everyone would agree to stay!

Except this was part of the recruiting pitch. The parents knew there was a possibility Hurley would leave. I dont believe for a second that they had this in Cox contract and didn't tell the recruits. Especially since they we're all recruited by Cox (except Tate).
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: Wonder if URI and UConn will do a home and home.....not counting on it.

UConn rarely played URI in the last thirty years. This practice did not change with a new coach when Ollie came on board. Given the baggage that would now surround such a game, Hurley will be even less inclined to play Rhody than the last two Husky coaches.

I think you are more likely to sooner see UConn resume a series with PC than URI.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This isn't Xavier.

The only Dan Hurley holdover I would have accepted as his replacement, would have been Bobby Hurley.

This is a far stretch from that, friend
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

jcru wrote:Blue Man, Baron 2.0 crowd is the crowd that is attempting to fast-track the job to the assistant coach.

We were flirting with big time, now we are about to go very small time.

The University made a decent commitment. Hurley just porked us, in more ways than one.

In no way shape or form should a departing coach have ANY say on who the University hires as his replacement. That would be like letting Baron pick his successor.
Dan did an incredible job and has this program at an all time high in every manner no question. But programs like Xavier, Mich St, Marquette, Butler, Purdue, Oklahoma St, Kansas St, VCU have hired from within and succeeded at a high level. All of a sudden we are North Carolina because we got to back to back NCAAs? Not sure what the assistant tag does to people thinking they are not qualified. Sure see if there is someone else out there that blows your door off, but also be fair to Cox. Al Skinner moved up as well, and though he may not be very well liked, he went on to do a very solid job and had great success at BC.

To even insinuate this is a move similar to Jerry D can't be more uninformed and peripheral view.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dre3000 wrote:Except this was part of the recruiting pitch. The parents knew there was a possibility Hurley would leave. I dont believe for a second that they had this in Cox contract and didn't tell the recruits. Especially since they we're all recruited by Cox (except Tate).
How many times does it take before this lesson sinks in? I don't care what team you root for.

You always try to get the best coach you can, you NEVER allow the players to hold the program hostage. That's Program 101
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

What’s he supposed to say, “Yea, I’m only coaching at URI until I can get a better job”? I’ve loved what Dan has done here but multiple times I’ve said you can’t take everything Hurley says as the absolute truth. He needed to try and get the fan base excited which would be hard to do if he acknowledged URI’s just a stepping stone for him.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Al Skinner took a while to get up to speed, jonathan, is that what you want? that' s best case scenario.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Y’all need to clean up your Hurley worship signatures it appears. From one cow college to another for more money. Demands met 100% and still walks ?

Shocking and couldn’t be more disappointing.

Enjoy the new coach search folks. Word has it Pitino is available. Maybe we can get Lamar on the search committee.

Friartown will be a bit conflicted for a bit So at least there’s that.

UConn really? What a Yankee Conference kick in the head.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dan is NOT the problem.

We discussed this when Dan was hired! We knew this would happen. We all said so long as URI doesn't make the mistake of making at STUPID hire when he leaves, we'll be fine.

Now we have a bunch of wannabee cronies on this site trying to steer the program into making that VERY SAME stupid hire we all talked about
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

xcrun wrote:This is a university problem. I say vote with your money.

There's a cadre of people on here who get close to the players and coaches and that clouds their judgement. They get invited to the cocktail parties and then the coach can do no wrong bc it's their buddy. Same stuff happened with Baron.

This is on Thorr, Dooley, and Danny boy. Who collapsed at thre end of the season. Probably because be was looking at new jobs rather than coaching.

Top recruiting class next year gone. Thanks Dan. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
You're dumb. This is wrong. You can be close to something personally and understand it professionally.

Thorr and Dooley deserve nothing but your thank yous and appreciation for putting a first rate offer out there. If we had the funding to make this offer last year, and have already broken ground on a practice facility Dan is still here.

Lol "collapsed" - unless you're donating you're part of the fans who are the problem. If you're donating a shit ton of money feel free to be a miserable prick, at least then you're helping the program be able to extend offers that are legitimate. I certainly don't donate a shit ton of money, so I give what I can and support the god damn program in every other way possible as a fan.

If you're not donating and all you bring to the table is your "fandom" and instead of supporting the program you are an overcricital ass who has the "wait and see" approach on whether or not you will support or root for the next guy.

Then after Dave Cox has "convinced" you that he's worthy of your support 4 years down the line and you decide to start giving or rooting or whatever - it'll be too late again.

You want this place to be attractive? Sell out opening night when we raise some more banners. Support this program NOW. It takes charter flights, practice facilities, and good assistant coaches to recruit good players and develop them into elite guys.

Or, tell me I'm an asshole (I am) and then go back to doing what we had always done as a fan base until last week.

We should be thankful of the job Dan did to get this program up to this level. We should be proud that our athletic department put an offer out there that was worthy of a top quality D1 coach, AND we should support the next coach and team like you are saying you would've supported Dan if he stayed.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

jcru wrote:Dan is NOT the problem.

We discussed this when Dan was hired! We knew this would happen. We all said so long as URI doesn't make the mistake of making at STUPID hire when he leaves, we'll be fine.

Now we have a bunch of wannabee cronies on this site trying to steer the program into making that VERY SAME stupid hire we all talked about
OK, we got it, you've said this over and over again now. What's your plan? Who do you go after that's better than Cox and will come here?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

jcru wrote:This isn't Xavier.

The only Dan Hurley holdover I would have accepted as his replacement, would have been Bobby Hurley.

This is a far stretch from that, friend
But why, Bobby was less qualified than Cox. And it's really not even close.
7 x
rhody12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhody12 »

RamIt! wrote:
rhody12 wrote:
RamIt! wrote:Honestly... if URI was committed to winning and saw this coming as we all did and as we all know they did as well, why were there never big program enhancements sooner. They would have committed to making these enhancements sooner, not at that last minute. Typical RI fashion to get the most you can for the cheapest you can then let it die and crumble quickly and then have everyone one pointing fingers at each other.
And what exactly is going to pay for these enhancements sooner? Don't you think if it was just that easy it would have been done? Winning fixes all problems and Dan showed that. We just need to win more and more money comes.

Dumb post.

They allegedly committed to building a practice facility in 2 years, so they know they can get the money, they didn't chase it soon enough.

Sure, after we have been consistently improving for five years and two NCAA appearances. This goes back to the point we can get money NOW because people are supporting the program to a high level both in attendance and donations. Had people bought into the vision and donated more in the beginning, maybe we are having a different conversation. If it was just THAT easy, it would have been done...everyone would have done it. That's what separates big time, from the stepping stone. And, I certainly hope we all can change that. I believe we can.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Coaches come and go, Uri is forever. Time to invest. We can’t be a stepping stone anymore.
7 x
GO RAMS
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

rambone 78 wrote:I might get roasted for this, but the way Dan coached against Duke, it almost looked like he and everyone else [his players] knew he was gone.

Should have put that "buyout" in his contract as well like VCU did with Shaka, for a home and home with whichever team the coach goes to. I would love that just to rub Calhoun's nose in it that UConn FINALLY has to play URI like he chickened out of.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I can’t say that I’m not mad and sad and it hurts to see him go and all his talk about “ family”.
But there is some major work that needs to be done here in Rhody nation. Coaches leaving, players, recruites.
Will Rhody offer the next coach all the things promised to Hurley? Or will they pull back??? Time will tell.

Best of luck DH.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

josephski wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

What’s he supposed to say, “Yea, I’m only coaching at URI until I can get a better job”? I’ve loved what Dan has done here but multiple times I’ve said you can’t take everything Hurley says as the absolute truth. He needed to try and get the fan base excited which would be hard to do if he acknowledged URI’s just a stepping stone for him.

Agree Josephski. Fair enough. But let’s not treat Dan like he’s the second coming. Great coach, recruiter and hard worker. Knows how to build a program. But in the end l, he’s just like everyone else. His words mean nothing.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It is true that UConn wanted Ollie gone for a while. Quite a while.

jcru....how do you know that promoting Cox is stupid? Just because URI fucked up with JD?

That situation is so far removed from this one that it doesn't even register.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Please don’t feed the troll in jcru.
1 x