The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhody12
Abdul Fox

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by rhody12 »

Dan to UCONN per Rothstein....f****kk
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Rothstein has it. Fuck.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

This one hurts just as much as the first one back in 88. Just when I think we are there some school comes along and reminds me that we are just a small fish in a very large pond. Can't blame Dan and kudos to Thorr and Dooley for stepping up.

Now the key is the next hire. Need to find a way to keep the players and recruits but also hire the right guy. And before everyone kills me, I don't know enough about Cox the coach to know whether he is the right guy. He can recruit that's for sure.

The school got it right with Al but got it wrong with "he who shall remain nameless". That wrong hire led to 17 years between NCAA appearances.

Thorr take your time and make sure you got the next guy!!!
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The whole “Uri is my family” is now at least partially BS.
5 x
GO RAMS
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Well that sucks. UCONN with the late offer. Wth Thorr. Wth Danny. Guess we'll be in the tournament again in 18 years. :cry:
Attachments
Screenshot_20180322-073132.jpg
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

He’s just like the rest of them. Just talked a better game.
4 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

URI_05 wrote:He’s just like the rest of them. Just talked a better game.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

But Dan gave us his all. Onto the next chapter.
0 x
GO RAMS
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ESPN reporting its a done deal. Hurley to UConn.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rothstein tweeted it, game over.

Thank you to Dan. This program was nothing before him - we legit were using VCR tape to watch film when he got here. This is now a quality program and the right coach will keep us at this level. It will look like he took the money but he didn’t. It’s always been about program support.

Dan deserves this. It took 6 years for him to get the support he deserved to get for this program. He’ll get that on day one at UConn.

This is on our fans, not our program. Athletics did everything possible to retain Dan. There’s just a limit to what we’re willing to do as a fan base, so there will be a limit on what athletics can do.

They understand how to run an elite level program and we don’t. We have fans who think a $20 donation is a big deal or they bought tickets this year so Dan owes them enough to stay.

One day we’ll learn how to do that, and hopefully the next hire is quick and builds on our momentum. Just remember this feeling now, and realize that the support people all of a sudden thought they should provide to keep a good coach, is what you need to provide all the time.

Go Rhody.
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I wish he went almost anywhere else. I just can’t root for UConn, ever, what a shame. Not sure this is even close to the best he could do. He could have done so much better than UConn IMO. At least this allows us to move on, because he was going somewhere sometime soon, he wasn’t staying here obviously. I really think he’s making a mistake going there though, only time will tell.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........yep, that is why rooting for the laundry is the way to go, it doesn’t speak about building the Zag of the east type program....
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Tanning is reporting he is leaving for UConn and Jon Rothstein is reporting it too
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yanni is reporting he is leaving for UConn and Jon Rothstein is reporting it too
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I don't blame Hurley or anyone for taking generational money, coaching is a fragile world as well. But please those who said he was different and money makes no difference, I would question that. It is what it is and more than likely inevitable. When all this was going on I couldn't help but think of an interview I heard him do earlier this year on one of the national shows, maybe Rome, when he was asked about potential new transfer rule and he said that he didn't like it and the problem was with today's kids is they want to bail out and not wanting to make a commitment to anything instead or working hard, being patient to succeed and if things aren't great or what you want them to be. Too easy to quit on something. Well, I guess money changes that life lesson. I do thank him, wish him and his family the best and let's move on. We are in a much better place than we were 6 years ago
4 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

This is a university problem. I say vote with your money.

There's a cadre of people on here who get close to the players and coaches and that clouds their judgement. They get invited to the cocktail parties and then the coach can do no wrong bc it's their buddy. Same stuff happened with Baron.

This is on Thorr, Dooley, and Danny boy. Who collapsed at thre end of the season. Probably because be was looking at new jobs rather than coaching.

Top recruiting class next year gone. Thanks Dan. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Last edited by xcrun 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

4 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Rhody09 wrote:
So he dump us and has control over who we date...

Well genuine thank you and good luck to dan.

I've said it before and I'll say I think again if we want to have a big time basketball program football has to go. Ask gonzaga, Xavier, Dayton, and VCU if it's worth it
1 x
Clapton is God
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rothstein tweeting that Cox in line to replace Hurley.
Last edited by Rhody74 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......RoadyJay.......what say you?.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Rhodymob05 wrote:The whole “Uri is my family” is now at least partially BS.

The big test for me is what happens with the recruits, and Fatts, etc.
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Bring on cox. Onward!
5 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhodymob05 wrote:The whole “Uri is my family” is now at least partially BS.

yup.. spare me about "family" talk cas you just walked out on yours

so glad i read all those posts about how dan is cut from a different cloth - cas he is not

he could have really grew w/ this program and called it his own

now, he just grabbed the better $, better conference, better facilities - just like all the rest of them

so effin disappointed and crushed
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would appear these words were hollow and had no real personal meaning to Dan. He apparently is not like his dad or coaches such as McKillop. He is more like the hotshot coaches always looking for a larger paycheck and bigger stage.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

rhodyfan3 wrote:

and the guy still left us ?

whatever dan

"FAMILY"
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Completely wrong. He wanted the same commitment to the program that he gave. UConn was willing to do that. We can’t. We don’t have fans or donors that value this like they do.

It will look like he took the money but that’s just his agent doing agent things. This was on all the enhancements they were willing to do that we can’t or won’t.

Charters to all games are great. What about charters to recruiting visits? Being able to pay your assistant coaches more is great. What about paying them enough where they view the job as a destination instead of needed to rehire every year or two? A plan for a practice facility is great. What about actually having one?

Plus the fan base. Ours sucks as a basketball school. It took 6 years, 2 A10 titles, and 2 NCAA victories for us to finally feel like wow maybe next year we’ll sell out our games. He’ll get that support from day one when he should’ve gotten that here.

Remember this feeling, and remember yesterday when so many people all of a sudden started to donate.

I guess the Baron 2.0 crowd finally got their wish though so there’s that.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote:

It would appear these words were hollow and had no real personal meaning to Dan. He apparently is not like his dad or coaches such as McKillop. He is more like the hotshot coaches always looking for a larger paycheck and bigger stage.

ALL BS
0 x
ms1111
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ms1111 »

Dre,
You alluded Hurley to Uconn was in the works for a while (before the season was close to ending). Was that info coming from Moore or Cox during the season? You can spill the beans now.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thank you, Coach Hurley.

Let’s handle this with class, KeaneyBlue.
6 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This isn't on fans.

The whole thing was in the works. Certainly on UConn's side. That is why I brought it up a week and a half ago.

You cant buy into coach-speak hook, line, and sinker.

He did a great job. He delivered. But I am not sad about this.

VHS? Come on. That says more about what the other guy was comfortable using than it says about URI.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Anyone cursing out Dan right now needs to relax. Let it settle for a day, and then come back. Obviously it sucks. Lots of changes are going to happen to the program, but you can't blame him.
He's under 2 hours from his home, probably doesn't have to move his family.
He's making over a million more than we offered.
Everything we promised him here, he'll already have at UCONN.
We knew after year one this wasn't a permanent destination for him. Rumors of him leaving have happened EVERY offseason.
So you can be upset, but don't make it seem like he wronged us.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

So Cox it is.....head coach in waiting.....on to the next chapter....looks like everyone or almost everyone will stay.

*fingers crossed*

Wow that was a great offer by us. It's VERY clear Dan didn't think we could get to the level he wants.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I am in the Cox as new coach camp as well. My thought. Let's continue what we have and I think there is a lot to be said for continuity. Yes, there is more than likely a better chance he can keep current roster in tact more than others, but that's not the reason, though it also has to be thrown into the mix. He has a lot of experience, experience as an assistant at a higher level and has worked with Dan, sees and I am sure believes in and would follow his direction and knows the culture.

Just a few coaches that have moved up within the ranks off the top of my head: Chris Mack, Thad Matta, Sean Miller, Chris Holtmann, LaVall Jordan, Buzz Williams, Will Wade, Greg Gard, Frank Martin, Jamie Dixon, Matt Painter, Brian Dutcher, Tom Izzo, Bashir Mason.

And a few guys that came from other programs: Shaka Smart, Tom Crean, Archie Miller, John Calipari, Bobby Hurley, Nate Oates

I would disagree 100% with those touting Nate Oats. Guy may become a great coach, he does not have anymore experience than Coach Cox, yes he has been a head coach now, but was also a h.s coach not very long ago
5 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

well, Im pissed because I actually bought into his bullshit about family over money.

We did everything he asked us to. Matched UConn's initial money offer, practice facility and full charters.

So much for all that talk about family, respect, building something special. Turns out he's just another 2 faced bullshitter like the rest of them.

And he's choosing to go to a known cesspool of liars and dirt. But, as it turns out they were made for each other there. Have fun being Calhoun's lap dog.

Hope he invests that extra million well because he's gonna need it in 3 years when they toss him into the dumpster right next to Ollie.

For us now, its simple. Cox or Oats. Cox has shown he knows the tactics side and can recruit his ass off, I want him 1st because he can keep the recruits as well (NOT a Jerry D situation).

I want Oats because he can coach and recruit like crazy. He got 4* recruits to go to Buffalo.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Hartford Courant web site still does not confirm as of 10 minutes ago

However, if he is leaving, a bad taste here. The AAC will get better, the A10 lost a good coach.
....David Cox will do well. Just needs a couple of quality assistants as Moore is reported to leave as well.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:Thank you, Coach Hurley.

Let’s handle this with class, KeaneyBlue.

Thank you is appropriate and fitting.

Guy did everything for us.

I am just frustrated cas he will be hard to equal with the next hire.

What a shame.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This is not completely on the the school and fan base...of course UConn fans and donner base is bigger, they had a coach that had a vision and stayed and turned them into a national program with NCAA championships...we are still waiting for that coach at URI.
3 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

Good programs promote from within, I'm all in on Cox as next head coach. I am disappointed in Hurleys decision however. This is not on the fans or the administration. The school stepped up big time in this offer.
9 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

This isn't on the fans or the school. To say otherwise is a joke. We made a good offer, UConn made a better one. It's as simple as that. One school has four NCAA championship banners hanging down, one doesn't. Whatever, I'm over it.

Let's go Head Coach Cox! Im looking forward to seeing some motion offense on the floor.
4 x
rhody12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhody12 »

I really hope our roster doesn't get dismantled and we can continue to grow from here instead of roll over and die for 20 years
4 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Blue Man wrote:Rothstein tweeted it, game over.

Thank you to Dan. This program was nothing before him - we legit were using VCR tape to watch film when he got here. This is now a quality program and the right coach will keep us at this level. It will look like he took the money but he didn’t. It’s always been about program support.

Dan deserves this. It took 6 years for him to get the support he deserved to get for this program. He’ll get that on day one at UConn.

This is on our fans, not our program. Athletics did everything possible to retain Dan. There’s just a limit to what we’re willing to do as a fan base, so there will be a limit on what athletics can do.

They understand how to run an elite level program and we don’t. We have fans who think a $20 donation is a big deal or they bought tickets this year so Dan owes them enough to stay.

One day we’ll learn how to do that, and hopefully the next hire is quick and builds on our momentum. Just remember this feeling now, and realize that the support people all of a sudden thought they should provide to keep a good coach, is what you need to provide all the time.

Go Rhody.

^^^^^^ THIS!!

Thank you for what you have done here Dan! People should not be so angry or spiteful towards Dan's decision the guy gave this program so much. If not for him there's no media room, new weight room, charters flights, future practice facility. The list goes on!

I hope this is a wake up call. History is taught, so it doesn't repeat itself.

I'm sure this place will be a negative cesspool today. Try to look at the positives today all
5 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Honestly... if URI was committed to winning and saw this coming as we all did and as we all know they did as well, why were there never big program enhancements sooner. They would have committed to making these enhancements sooner, not at that last minute. Typical RI fashion to get the most you can for the cheapest you can then let it die and crumble quickly and then have everyone one pointing fingers at each other.
5 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Ooooficial. Money is ALWAYS a part of the equation, no matter who it is saying "family", "loyalty", etc are most important. If the reports are accurate, it definitely took a lot of benjamins to sway Dan and their original offer probably wasn't sufficient. But at some point it is silly to say no.

My counterpoint for taking possibly up to 2x what our administration offered is what UConn did to Ollie, and with more money comes more pressure which has to be delivered on. Regardless if "donors" stepped up, taxpayers will not be pleased with an "unproven" (their take) coach making a borderline top 10 salary. Dan is in a somewhat adversarial situation right from the start, although in actuality the higher ups in the Athletic Department really have their nuts on the line.

The only non-BCS school in the top 20 of coaching salaries per SI is Gregg Marshall of Wichita State at $3.04 million (13th highest). Ollie was making $3 million/year, so even for a future settlement awarding half that they are paying $5 million-ish out in men's bball head coaching salaries. Wow.

Edit: per tweet above it was more like a million more and not 2X what URI offered.
Last edited by rhodyruckus 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Programs lose coaches. It happens. To blame this on the fans is utterly ridiculous and speaking out of frustration. Look at Xavier. They’re about to lose their fourth coach this century even though they’re now in the big east and have made something like 17 of 18 tournaments. Thank you Dan for putting the program in the right direction but now is not the time to feel sorry for ourselves. Show some grit, move on, and keep this thing going.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

The way the reports have come out, this looks like it’s ALL about the money. If it was about infrastructure, why didn’t Dan come to agreement with ICONN sooner? Spare me the “it was a difficult decision”. As soon as UCONN upped their offer Dan jumped.

If it wasn’t about the money, by all reports, URI’s offer should have been competitive enough. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

He has said all the right things and those on the “in” have bought it hook, line and sinker. I don’t expect them to change their tune now that he is gone.

As I said before, I don’t begrudge Dan for taking the money, but let’s call a spade a spade.
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It sucks for fans but I feel the most for the players that followed Dan here, especially Jeff, Cyril, and Fatts. It must be really hard for these guys to see Dan walk away from them after all they gave him.
2 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Well if Dan doesn't think it we probably can't.

Also, think about the season ticket email blast. They wanted everyone to pay knowing if was going to be a bad year next year.

At least parking won't be bad next year.
2 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

The university (URI) definitely made a big time offer. I was surprised to see it offered that much to be honest. Happy to see admin stepped up. Just not enough for Dan apparently.
0 x
rhody12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhody12 »

RamIt! wrote:Honestly... if URI was committed to winning and saw this coming as we all did and as we all know they did as well, why were there never big program enhancements sooner. They would have committed to making these enhancements sooner, not at that last minute. Typical RI fashion to get the most you can for the cheapest you can then let it die and crumble quickly and then have everyone one pointing fingers at each other.
And what exactly is going to pay for these enhancements sooner? Don't you think if it was just that easy it would have been done? Winning fixes all problems and Dan showed that. We just need to win more and more money comes.

Dumb post.
1 x