The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

OK...I'll break it now. Our daughter ran in a race at URI in the spring of 2015. Dan and several members of the team were also in that race (I think it may have been team-sponsored). After the race, because he's such a good guy, Dan hung around and talked to just about anyone that wanted to. He was talking to my wife and I and I said there was speculation about him leaving URI and asked if that was something fans should worry about (couldn't think of how else to say it). He said he loved it here and the only way he'd leave probably was if some sort of NBA opportunity came up...that that was pretty much everyone's dream job.

So...he's staying. (Although, I'm not sure he'd leave college for the NBA...kinda thinking not)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What was the tweet?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

No one is Jerry D.

Cox... was he a head coach before?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Since you all brought it up...despite not being “proven” as a head coach, we know Cox was Hurley’s braintrust and #1 Scout man. He was his TOP recruiter, and most importantly he knows how DH coaches, and I’m sure being around the sport as long as he has will have his own twists. Bringing an unknown in, who has a hot year, or a single upset is not worth the risk. Smart and Wade stayed the course. Coaches and schools staying the course work out better unless you’re bringing in a true ringer, ala a Tom Crean or Thad Matta. Nate Oats, good coach, but has never met a single one of our recruits, and if I were a recruit I’d be skeptical as well. Jermaine Harris said he came here because Cox believed in him “when he was a bum”. Loyalty pays dividends with these kids. They will follow. Trusting another rebuild, is like a rebranding....Cox in my opinion would just be a new label on the same product, maybe 10% more or less in the same bag. The guy is worth the shot if we lose our man DH.
Last edited by DC_Rams 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:OK...I'll break it now. Our daughter ran in a race at URI in the spring of 2015. Dan and several members of the team were also in that race (I think it may have been team-sponsored). After the race, because he's such a good guy, Dan hung around and talked to just about anyone that wanted to. He was talking to my wife and I and I said there was speculation about him leaving URI and asked if that was something fans should worry about (couldn't think of how else to say it). He said he loved it here and the only way he'd leave probably was if some sort of NBA opportunity came up...that that was pretty much everyone's dream job.

So...he's staying. (Although, I'm not sure he'd leave college for the NBA...kinda thinking not)
He told me the exact same thing last spring at the NYC event after the season was over. Said Brad Stevens career arc was something compelling to him, get URI to the highest level possible and finish in the NBA. That said, he does not strike me as an NBA type coach given his style and his strong suits in character building, team building and motivating.
3 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

rhodymadness 401

RIGHT ON DAVID COX IS THE ANSWER. has experience. Has the players trust.
4 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

What did Dre say?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

bigappleram wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:OK...I'll break it now. Our daughter ran in a race at URI in the spring of 2015. Dan and several members of the team were also in that race (I think it may have been team-sponsored). After the race, because he's such a good guy, Dan hung around and talked to just about anyone that wanted to. He was talking to my wife and I and I said there was speculation about him leaving URI and asked if that was something fans should worry about (couldn't think of how else to say it). He said he loved it here and the only way he'd leave probably was if some sort of NBA opportunity came up...that that was pretty much everyone's dream job.

He told me the exact same thing last spring at the NYC event after the season was over. Said Brad Stevens career arc was something compelling to him, get URI to the highest level possible and finish in the NBA. That said, he does not strike me as an NBA type coach given his style and his strong suits in character building, team building and motivating.
I can see a Billy Donovan type path and they have similar styles.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Kingston wrote:rhodymadness 401

He actually has zero experience. Who cares about players trust? Every assistant coach in the country should have the trust of the players. Not a reason to hire a coach. Again...if he is hired, it doesn't mean it was the wrong choice. Just don't hire him because we have a nice class coming in.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm going to write this, then drop the mike.

When you conduct a search for a new coach. Certain things need to apply, even if you inevitably end up just picking the "Associate Head Coach" that is left after the head coach leaves.

First, you need to get the message out there, that this is a serious search for the best available coach on this planet... no exceptions. That's the message. Period. You tell that to the papers, you tell it to social media, you tell it to yourself, over and over again, because you want that best out there to apply, and feel like they are being given a fair shake at the job.

TWO, you don't let the applicant MEET WITH THE PLAYERS, and have them tell him that that don't want him there. Like they did during that farce when Harrick left.

As long as those two things apply, we should be happy with the outcome. IF they don't apply, expect a completed divided fanbase like during Jim Baron and Jerry Duh.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

jcru wrote:No one is Jerry D.

Cox went 3-0 when he had to step in when Mike Rice was suspended at Rutgers. Definitely think he sits a top the list. ARD and Preston should get interviews if they are interested. Also think a few top assistants like Scott Spinnelli at BC could be in the mix. As could regional head coaches like Oats and Becker. Skerry had some potential career arch, but has leveled off a bit the past few years.

Another thought.... if Dan stays, any chance Cox starts thinking about putting his name in the mix for a head job? Could definitely have success at an NEC level school.... Or is his best bet to stick around and hope to inherit the program after Hurley does eventually leave, whenever that may be.
Last edited by Bos8 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI HAS to follow through on their promises whether Dan leaves or not....they have to offer the new coach the same upgrades such as the practice facility.....maybe a little less money for the HC but that's it.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I saw dre post that dan was meeting with staff and players tonight but maybe it was false, sorry to call you out dre!
2 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Bos8 wrote:

Cox went 3-0 when he had to step in when Mike Rice was suspended at Rutgers. Definitely think he sits a top the list. ARD and Preston should get interviews if they are interested. Also think a few top assistants like Scott Spinnelli at BC could be in the mix. As could regional head coaches like Oats and Becker. Skerry had some position career arch, but has leveled off a bit the past few years.

Another thought.... if Dan stays, any chance Cox starts thinking about putting his name in the mix for a head job? Could definitely have success at an NEC level school.... Or is his best bet to stick around and hope to inherit the program after Hurley does eventually leave, whenever that may be.
Well, I think Jim Christian would be at the top of the heap. We are offering more than he makes, and he did beat Dook this year. Plus, he's URI.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ACC to A10? That one.....no
1 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Dan, Thorr, and Dooley met off campus today. Look for it to come out that he's staying. Charter flights to the games in Virginia and Missouri. Practice facility to be online in 2 to 3 years. 1.2M base incentives to 1.85M. 10 years 2.5M buyout.
11 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

theblueram wrote:
Bos8 wrote:

Cox went 3-0 when he had to step in when Mike Rice was suspended at Rutgers. Definitely think he sits a top the list. ARD and Preston should get interviews if they are interested. Also think a few top assistants like Scott Spinnelli at BC could be in the mix. As could regional head coaches like Oats and Becker. Skerry had some position career arch, but has leveled off a bit the past few years.

Well, I think Jim Christian would be at the top of the heap. We are offering more than he makes, and he did beat Dook this year. Plus, he's URI.
Does he leave for the URI job? Both Bowman and Robinson will be back (And are Spinelli guys...)
If you want head coaches, I like two NEC guys. Jamion Christian from Mt. St. Mary's and Bashir Mason from Wagner (Does he want to follow Hurley again?)
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rambone 78 wrote:ACC to A10? That one.....no
Tubby Smith went from the Big 12 to the AAC and Frank Haith went from the SEC to the AAC.
0 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

scine20 wrote:
Tubby Smith went from the Big 12 to the AAC and Frank Haith went from the SEC to the AAC.
The AAC is still a Power 7 conference
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Makes sense. Dan after he meets with his staff and players will give them his decision, and then it will go public.

scine20, yes but those guys are on a downward path. Christian is getting BC better.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

xcrun wrote:Dan, Thorr, and Dooley met off campus today. Look for it to come out that he's staying. Charter flights to the games in Virginia and Missouri. Practice facility to be online in 2 to 3 years. 1.2M base incentives to 1.85M. 10 years 2.5M buyout.
Please be right xcrun!
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

xcrun wrote:Dan, Thorr, and Dooley met off campus today. Look for it to come out that he's staying. Charter flights to the games in Virginia and Missouri. Practice facility to be online in 2 to 3 years. 1.2M base incentives to 1.85M. 10 years 2.5M buyout.
I'm LITERALLY quoting you on this!
2 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Gonebarongone wrote:

He actually has zero experience. Who cares about players trust? Every assistant coach in the country should have the trust of the players. Not a reason to hire a coach. Again...if he is hired, it doesn't mean it was the wrong choice. Just don't hire him because we have a nice class coming in.
Who cares about players trust? You sir, are being a troll.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Source?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

scine20 wrote:
Guy just spent four years building something from scratch in a very unforgiving league. He'll have everyone back plus two really nice recruits. BC will be very good next year. No chance he leaves. Plus, I think Spinelli makes almost as much as all three Rhody assistants.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:
That's a positive to me.

Meeting with staff and players = saying goodbye
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

mjg13x wrote:
scine20 wrote:
The AAC is still a Power 7 conference
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

Hope you are right.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

You missed the point.
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody83 wrote:
Source?
You mean sauces?
6 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

While this MAY end up being correct, I'm hesitant to believe someone who's last post before yesterday was after our NIT loss to Stanford...
0 x
NickA
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NickA »

Please be true!!!!!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dre3000 wrote:
While this MAY end up being correct, I'm hesitant to believe someone who's last post before yesterday was after our NIT loss to Stanford...
Again, how would he know? NO one here has a source on this.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Gonebarongone wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: He actually has zero experience. Who cares about players trust? Every assistant coach in the country should have the trust of the players. Not a reason to hire a coach. Again...if he is hired, it doesn't mean it was the wrong choice. Just don't hire him because we have a nice class coming in.
You missed the point.
Good, because you sir, are an unsharpened pencil.
1 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Don't hire Cox and lose everything we have. Cox scouts all our big games. Has worked in several big programs before coming here. Cox is not Jerry D its an insult to call him that.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully he will meet with his staff and players tonight...and we'll finally know.

If the storm gets in the way, then tomorrow.

P.S. As for charter flights, they already charter to VA and St. Louis as far as I know.

But the other numbers seem about right.

Hopefully they jack up the assistants pay too.

Still can't get too excited....just don't know anything for sure.
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

This thread is still 400 posts ahead of the boneyard thread about the Hurley situation. Excellent work team!
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I saw dre post that dan was meeting with staff and players tonight but maybe it was false, sorry to call you out dre!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

My guess is that guy got his info from here.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Does Cox really scout all our most important games? I've tried to maintain a thread of who scouts each game and it seems to be more a rotation than picking and choosing based on the opponent
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody74 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:I saw dre post that dan was meeting with staff and players tonight but maybe it was false, sorry to call you out dre!
This guy appears to be just a VCU fan.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Who the hell is John Tatum?
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Breaking News: Hurley is waiting until tomorrow before seeing what team's forum posted the most for his decision. Looks like we are in the lead! Lol
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm willing to bet John Tatum's "report" is from this board.
2 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

xcrun As myself a former runner for Copeland. I would like to agree with you. However, I'm hearing acc which I think is a horrible move for him. Dan should wait for Xavier
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Does Cox really scout all our most important games? I've tried to maintain a thread of who scouts each game and it seems to be more a rotation than picking and choosing based on the opponent
I do have to say, I think Cox has scouted most of our games and has done a phenomenal job.
1 x
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

Peace.
Last edited by Mark Macon 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
This guy appears to be just a VCU fan.
Which means he definitely just got that from here
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Kingston
Steve Chubin

before you, all go crazy very good source not a great one
0 x