The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by OrangeRam »

You guys cant compare RI and CT. I moved down to CT 30 years ago, was a great place with opportunities. Now, like residents and businesses, I cant wait to get the hell out. Couple years til retirement and RI is one of the places on my radar. Honestly, CT is a place to avoid.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:If we get him back. Raise the buyout! Double it!

And if he balks because I think they lowered it last time. Stomp your foot on the ground. He understands the foot stomp means business.

Go Rhody!

agreed !

too much to go thru year after year..

and altho it hasn't hurt recruiting yet.. you would think at some point recruits might take a pause and think about this
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Honestly, the guy lives in Jamestown. He's going to move to so farm shelter in Storr's. This is progress?
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Can't reveal sources...good grief.

But I can say, it's certainly not from UConn or Pitt.

TP, from living in CT, I agree with most of what you said about the state, not to mention the ridiculous taxes. In CT, they tax the taxes.

And we all know that traffic and taxes are bad in both RI and Mass, but nowhere near as bad as CT.

When I retire in less than 2 years...I'm moving back to RI. Probably Westerly or Charlestown.
4 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

OrangeRam wrote:You guys cant compare RI and CT. I moved down to CT 30 years ago, was a great place with opportunities. Now, like residents and businesses, I cant wait to get the hell out. Couple years til retirement and RI is one of the places on my radar. Honestly, CT is a place to avoid.
I love how the tables have turned the last few years. RI use to be the black eye economically and politically when compared to our neighbors. Now CT certainly takes that honor. Sure, we have our problems here but CT has a $3.5 billion deficit. Good luck Storrs!
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:Can't reveal sources...good grief.

TP, from living in CT, I agree with most of what you said about the state, not to mention the ridiculous taxes. In CT, they tax the taxes.

And we all know that traffic and taxes are bad in both RI and Mass, but nowhere near as bad as CT.

When I retire in less than 2 years...I'm moving back to RI. Probably Westerly or Charlestown.
Good choices if you want to save on property taxes.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhody12
Abdul Fox

Unread post by rhody12 »

jcru wrote:Honestly, the guy lives in Jamestown. He's going to move to so farm shelter in Storr's. This is progress?
Dan doesn't live in Jamestown
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’ll play...

So where does your “source” say DH is leaning?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, here's hoping that they find a way to keep Dan around.

Then the biggest worry with this large a class of incoming promising froshes is keeping everyone healthy. The problem with a big talented freshman class is that they lack experience, are not used to this level of play, and someone without fail, always seems to manage to pop an ACL trying to act like superman in the preseason, and end's up red shirted.
0 x
mik1987
Jim Eitner

Unread post by mik1987 »

Orange/Rambone/TP:

From RI originally and have lived in CT since 1992 (Redding for 25 years and bethel for last year). Your points are all spot on. I'm also looking to retire in a few years and RI is a part year destination. I think I've tried every route possible driving from Western CT to Narragansett.

CT is really a disaster economically. The comments on the construction and traffic really hot a nerve. Can't wait to get out.
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

jcru wrote:Well, here's hoping that they find a way to keep Dan around.

Then the biggest worry with this large a class of incoming promising froshes is keeping everyone healthy. The problem with a big talented freshman class is that they lack experience, are not used to this level of play, and someone without fail, always seems to manage to pop an ACL trying to act like superman in the preseason, and end's up red shirted.
I mean sure, health is always a concern, but when is the last time that scenario happened, specifically at URI? I can’t remember ever having a frosh have to redshirt here due to “acting like Superman in the preseason” and blowing out their knee.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One more thing about traffic in CT....it's so bad that all the time and money spent on RT.95 in western CT has done what?

The roads have already turned to shit, with countless tractor trailers on the road tearing them up, and with the lovely weather not helping things.

Used to love driving when on vacation......not around here anymore.

As for where he's leaning.....we have a chance. Our offer surprised him.

Otherwise he was gone.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Where the national guys this morning? Lots of very interesting things circulating. They got nothing?
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

sf2010 wrote:I can’t remember ever having a frosh have to redshirt here due to “acting like Superman in the preseason” and blowing out their knee.
I go back to the Woodward days.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Here is what I think is the truest tweet/story/ whatever about this process

"Dan Hurley watch day. Fun. Seems Hurley is keeping this decision close to the vest. A source close to him said, "It wouldn't surprise me if he chose UConn. It wouldn't surprise me if he stayed at URI. It wouldn't surprise me if he chose Pitt."

"The source has spoken to Hurley throughout process, but point is that Hurley is not tipping his hand. Source said Hurley is grappling with a great decision to have to make.(should have sent that tweet immediately after but my dog escaped her dog fence and her safety rules) Ed Daigneault (@EdDaigneault)

1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Can’t reveal sources (or at least source of sources) don’t post.

IMHO Mods clean this up or change the thread title to pizza talk!

Multiple sources are gonna post our sources which are sourceless....

I’d prefer to talk sauce!

My New Haven crew says Sally’s is best pie / I’ve had modern and Pepe’s.

Sally’s up next.

Back to pizza talk.
5 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

jcru wrote:
sf2010 wrote:I can’t remember ever having a frosh have to redshirt here due to “acting like Superman in the preseason” and blowing out their knee.
I go back to the Woodward days.
I was too young to remember the exact details of the Woodward situation, but that’s an awful long way to go back if you’re claiming that “someone without fail, always” does something like that, no?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI, Pittsburgh, UCONN and maybe even Seton Hall depending on how the dominoes fall

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... li=BBnba9I
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Can’t reveal sources (or at least source of sources) don’t post.

Sally’s up next.

Back to pizza talk.
You mean "gravy"...and War number 3 begins.
2 x
GO RAMS
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Traffic not as bad in MA as CT? That's nuts. I live in CT and used to live in MA and the traffic here, at least in the part that I live in, just west of Hartford, isn't a pimple on the ass of the traffic near and in Boston. And I drive 84 and 91 through Hartford every day.
Last edited by scine20 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

4 x
Slava Ukraini!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Can’t reveal sources (or at least source of sources) don’t post.

Sally’s up next.

Back to pizza talk.
You mean "gravy"...and War number 3 begins.
So now we talkin pasta

Yeah We can do that!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I'll never get enough of God's Plan memes.
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

Sally’s up next.

Back to pizza talk.
Sally's -try the potato pizza
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agree about Boston traffic. That's crazy. No such thing as rush hour any more, it's always rush hour, except on Sundays.

Used to love driving to Fenway, parking for a few bucks, easy in, easy out. Relatively, anyway.

Now, forget it. Take the T.
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

ummmm!?!?!?!

0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rambone 78 wrote:Agree about Boston traffic. That's crazy. No such thing as rush hour any more, it's always rush hour, except on Sundays.

Used to love driving to Fenway, parking for a few bucks, easy in, easy out. Relatively, anyway.

Now, forget it. Take the T.
It used to take my fiance the same amount of time to get to work in the Medical District when she lived in the North Shore and when she moved to Narragansett. Unreal.
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Still think he stays
4 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm bored at work waiting for snow, but here is something from Pitt via Uconn boards.
'From Pitt board's moderator:
Just confirmed that the decision will come today. Not sure of time yet, but it is coming soon. Those close to Hurley have said that he has basically been in a bunker with his family. Not sure anyone around him even knows outside of his family.'
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

UConn board is up to 78 pages on this...need to pump up the volume here....
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

If the decision comes today I think we hit 1000 people on the board at once
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Love this. Article calls Hurley a respected X and O tactician. Just 13 months ago daProcessSurvivor started the infamous Jim Baron 2.0 thread under the premise that Hurley was not a good bench Coach and he needed to hire a seasoned, older assistant to do the game management :roll: :roll: :roll:

“Hurley would be the best possible hire for UConn at this point in terms of this combination: He's a name, a respected X-and-O tactician, a media-savvy coach and someone who is going to be able to sell tickets. He checks almost all the boxes. The fan base would be invigorated with the hire.”

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... gh-choice/
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:UConn board is up to 78 pages on this...need to pump up the volume here....
but only 1,900 posts.

their posts per page limit is lower
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ramster wrote:Love this. Article calls Hurley a respected X and O tactician. Just 13 months ago daProcessSurvivor started the infamous Jim Baron 2.0 thread under the premise that Hurley was not a good bench Coach and he needed to hire a seasoned, older assistant to do the game management :roll: :roll: :roll:

“Hurley would be the best possible hire for UConn at this point in terms of this combination: He's a name, a respected X-and-O tactician, a media-savvy coach and someone who is going to be able to sell tickets. He checks almost all the boxes. The fan base would be invigorated with the hire.”

yeah, its almost as if people can improve a skill....
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

scine20 wrote:

Traffic not as bad in MA as CT? That's nuts. I live in CT and used to live in MA and the traffic here, at least in the part that I live in, just west of Hartford, isn't a pimple on the ass of the traffic near and in Boston. And I drive 84 and 91 through Hartford every day.
I commute in and out of Boston every day, and yes during rush hour our traffic is bad. But the difference is that the traffic in Connecticut happens in the middle of nowhere at all times. In parts of the state with nothing around but woods, on a Sunday morning, or at 10PM on a Tuesday, it doesn't matter. Somebody is digging some hole in a road somewhere for god only knows what reason. Without fail, every time. If they have four guys standing around drinking coffee with orange vests on on the side of the road, they restrict traffic to one lane for six miles. I don't even want to tell you the number of times I've eventually driven by the cause for the traffic hanging out of my window yelling obscenities, or got so bored sitting still in traffic that I've googled the number for the highway department and left very long, very mean, very profane messages...one after another, until I've gotten thru the blockage. Normal road congestion during commuting hours is to be expected, but what happens in Connecticut is different. It is like they are intentionally slowing traffic down to mess with people's days because they can. You'll be cruising along, making great time, and out of nowhere you are suddenly sitting in a parking lot in the middle of the highway for an hour - you move eight feet per minute, finally get to the end of it after a couple of miles, to see one guy jackhammering in the breakdown lane with six people standing around watching. As soon as you get by that, you cruise again. So the traffic is not natural, it is manufactured. And whoever runs or works for the highway department in CT is going to hell, no doubt.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yes have heard everything's done but the dinner.

In other words we're just waiting for the word.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

So Dan is playing this close to vest, but that Pitt source knows a decision is coming today. Ok
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If it is a tough decision then there doesn't need to be a decision. Stay the course. Go Rhody.
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

rambone 78 wrote:Yes have heard everything's done but the dinner.

In other words we're just waiting for the word.
ham?
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
ramster wrote:Love this. Article calls Hurley a respected X and O tactician. Just 13 months ago daProcessSurvivor started the infamous Jim Baron 2.0 thread under the premise that Hurley was not a good bench Coach and he needed to hire a seasoned, older assistant to do the game management :roll: :roll: :roll:

If you were going to list five reasons to hire Dan Hurley, X's and O's is not one of them. Still think, offensively in big spots, he struggles. Had no plan to attack the Duke zone. Most everyone has a weakness. This just happens to be his. I am guessing he would have the funds at a place like Pitt or UConn to attract top bench minds. So, it can be patched. And, of course, he has gotten better (not sure how much is the staff now vs six years ago). It's just far from a strength. The vast majority of wins over his six years is out-talenting people. Rather have that than not having the talent and trying to outsmart someone.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Oh no, not the euphemism’s again....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ha TP....this isn't in CT but I was driving home from AC yesterday, and on 287 in NY a few miles short of the TZ bridge traffic was at a standstill....and when I got to the cause of that, there was a truck and a couple workers putting cold patch down in TWO lanes...and we're getting another storm that will wash all of that away TODAY.....the word stupid doesn't do that justice.
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I agree with that. I think he's improved as an X's and O's coach, and the team in general is very good coming out of timeouts, but he's not at the level of some of these other coaches. Maybe he'll get there, maybe he won't.
0 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

I just hope that this blows over. He signs on the line that is dotted. We build the program up. The school benefits immensely. We have fun and in a few years we move to a prime conference.

And really if he signs... New title. Sweet 16 or Bust. You know you want it. Sweetness.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180321-115858.jpg
Screenshot_20180321-115753.jpg
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

If you were going to list five reasons to hire Dan Hurley, X's and O's is not one of them. Still think, offensively in big spots, he struggles. Had no plan to attack the Duke zone. Most everyone has a weakness. This just happens to be his. I am guessing he would have the funds at a place like Pitt or UConn to attract top bench minds. So, it can be patched. And, of course, he has gotten better (not sure how much is the staff now vs six years ago). It's just far from a strength. The vast majority of wins over his six years is out-talenting people. Rather have that than not having the talent and trying to outsmart someone.
GBG, are you trolling, or do you just want him gone? He has top shelf assistants, and they only way we beat Duke isnif they played like VA did UMBC, and we played like Duke actually played that night.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Does anybody know who runs that Rhody tickets account? Is it affiliated with the school at all? I've always been surprised by some of the stuff it sends out, especially during this whole Hurley process. I think its a good follow and pretty funny most of the time, but surprised if it is an "official" account associated with the school that it would be tweeting stuff like that.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

GBG, yes there are still some questions concerning late game situations....but he's definitely improved and some of that might be due to Moore and Cox....who knows.

And yes the game plan versus Duke had no chance of working. Very little defensive pressure resulted in no easy baskets and standing around on offense with no ball movement. I was surprised. We did not attack their zone at all.

I doubt we would have won even if we had shot lights out, but still.....
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote:UConn's offer is for 5 years, URI's for 10. The per year totals aren't the same.

But URI's offer per year was much higher than I thought they could do. Also practice facility.

Neither offer comes close to what Pitt is offering. 8 years, 28 million.

Decision coming late today or tomorrow morning.
This states very little. The 10 years is meaningless. We already knew Pitts was $3+ million/year and UCONN was $2+ million/year.
We also already knew decision was late today or tomorrow morning.

If you did get any new news you could share some ranges that wouldn’t expose anyone.
1) what is the salary URI offerred (give a range)?
2) did they include chartered flights?
3) did they increase the compensation pool for Ast Coaches?
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”