Looking ahead to 2018-2019

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Looking ahead to 2018-2019

Unread post by reef »

Will Nevada be able to keep Musselman ??
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodekill wrote:doesn't Newkirk have a medical red shirt year last year ??? I didn't think that last year was his senior year .
No, he played too much last season to be eligible for a redshirt year.
1 x
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

Blue Man wrote:I believe the A10 will be a 4 bid league next year.

I think we’ll be the 4th via a Brooklyn run.

We’ll rely on freshman to do some of the lifting, they will gel later in the year.
Who are you thinking are the top 3?
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

PillPushr wrote:

We’ll rely on freshman to do some of the lifting, they will gel later in the year.
Who are you thinking are the top 3?
Dayton, VCU, St. Louis, Davidson, St. Joes, UMass, Duquesne, George Mason, Richmond, and URI all return large portions of their rosters a lot of top talent... or are bringing in a recruiting class that will provide talent that leads to little drop off.

The league over the next two seasons really is a toss up. As many as 5 of the teams mentioned above can make the NCAAs over the next two seasons... the amount of bids is contingent on how strong the league at large is able to schedule itself out of conference. Fact is, though, that the top 50% of this league will be able to compete with basically anyone.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steviep123 wrote:

I can't disagree. While my in depth knowledge of the A10 isn't as good as most. Here's a list of teams I think have the potential to at least be in the conversation in Feb/March (in no particular order):

URI
UMass
SLU
SJU
Davidson
VCU

Of course, a lot of this depends on the OOC schedules of these teams (which I haven't looked up). Not only how these schedules are, but how these teams do with the schedule and how the scheduled teams do. Remember, Davidson's non conf schedule was strong enough to give them an at large bid, they just didn't win enough games. If they had a better OOC record, they are in regardless and the A10 isn't under-rated. Also, on paper, URI has a pretty strong OOC schedule next year (home games vs. WVa, 'Bama, and Nevada - 3 current sweet 16 teams, road at Providence, the Hawaii tournament). But if some of those teams take the pipe, then the OOC goes up in smoke, then URI could be on the outside looking in next March. That's the toughest thing about the scheduling. You not only have to schedule the games, but also hope your opponent will be having good years. I'm sure WVA will continue to be good. But if Nevada and 'Bama lose a lot (I don't know how many seniors they have) and take a step back, then that could be devastating. But you still have to keep scheduling these teams. Nevada and Bama were definitely good additions to this year's schedule and I'm glad they were on the road this season.
You're leaving off Richmond. They had 5 double-figures scorers, all returning. Had no seniors on the roster. They are now fully loaded.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

I can't disagree. While my in depth knowledge of the A10 isn't as good as most. Here's a list of teams I think have the potential to at least be in the conversation in Feb/March (in no particular order):

URI
UMass
SLU
SJU
Davidson
VCU

Of course, a lot of this depends on the OOC schedules of these teams (which I haven't looked up). Not only how these schedules are, but how these teams do with the schedule and how the scheduled teams do. Remember, Davidson's non conf schedule was strong enough to give them an at large bid, they just didn't win enough games. If they had a better OOC record, they are in regardless and the A10 isn't under-rated. Also, on paper, URI has a pretty strong OOC schedule next year (home games vs. WVa, 'Bama, and Nevada - 3 current sweet 16 teams, road at Providence, the Hawaii tournament). But if some of those teams take the pipe, then the OOC goes up in smoke, then URI could be on the outside looking in next March. That's the toughest thing about the scheduling. You not only have to schedule the games, but also hope your opponent will be having good years. I'm sure WVA will continue to be good. But if Nevada and 'Bama lose a lot (I don't know how many seniors they have) and take a step back, then that could be devastating. But you still have to keep scheduling these teams. Nevada and Bama were definitely good additions to this year's schedule and I'm glad they were on the road this season.
You're leaving off Richmond. They had 5 double-figures scorers, all returning. Had no seniors on the roster. They are now fully loaded.
Good point!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:You're leaving off Richmond. They had 5 double-figures scorers, all returning. Had no seniors on the roster. They are now fully loaded.
You're both discounting Duquesne and Mason, too.

Duquesne graduated four seniors... only one of them being a real key player this season in Castro-Caneddy. They return Eric Williams Jr. who would be ROY if it weren't for Kellen Grady, and two other double digit scorers in Smith and Lewis who become upperclassmen leaders. Completely underrated team, especially if they are able to take advantage of the wacky world of NCAA transfers again next year.

George Mason graduated one senior who averaged 1.3 minutes per game. They return a freshmen starter, will have two senior leaders in Livingston and Greyer, and have 4 freshmen coming back that averaged more than 10 MPG this season. 3 of them averaged more than 15 minutes. They also return 2 key sophomores that average 25 or more minutes per game and add redshirt junior Jarred Reuter who sat out this year due to transfer regulations (University of Virgina transfer). And they secured the 5 seed this year in the A10 tournament. They are dangerous next season. Truthfully, Mason and St. Louis are who I fear the most going into 18-19.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Assuming all 4 recruits who signed enroll...
Also assuming Fatts, Jeff, Cyril, Nikola and CT stay...
With ML, RP and Tertsea...

Do we still have a scholly to give?

I think I counted 12, but math was never my strong suit.
Am I missing someone?
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

We do. It freed up when Amir Harris decommitted.

The go-to will be find a high-quality 5th year grad 2/3/4 swingman.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......new coach......new hype man.....full house......solid hoops......growing support.....more things change the more they remain the same.....Go Rhody......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

URI
UMass
SLU
SJU
Davidson
VCU

I like Duquesne and Richmond too

Keith Dambrot is a heck of a coach and is already turning that program around fast.
Eric Williams Jr 6'5" made the all Rookie Team.
Tyus Verhoeven 6'11" made the All Defensive team as just a Freshman. Quite amazing statement that 3 of the 5 A10 All Defensive Team Members were Freshmen. Verhoeven, Gilyard of Richmond and Hasahn French of Saint Louis. Surprising any Freshman would make All Defensive Team, never mind 3!!! French also made All Rookie Team.
Eric Williams was the 2nd leading rebounder in the A10 with 8.8 rpg - pretty amazing stat for a Freshman

3 of the Top Shot Blockers in the A10 were just Freshmen. Verhoeven led the A10 in Blocks, French was 2nd and Golden from Richmond was 6th
Dambrot has incoming Transfer Frankie Hughes 6'4" Guard coming in from Missouri where he started. We recruited Hughes. Hughes originally committed to Louisville but changed to Missoui.
Give an idea of his potential, Hughes, as a Freshman, scored 24 points in a 83-82 OT loss to then 10th ranked Xavier. Hughes played 41 minutes, 8-20 FG, 5-13 on threes, 3-5 FTs, 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 3 assists, 4 TOs.
Duquesne will be improved.

For Richmond Grant Golden made the all Rookie team plus Freshman Jacob Gilyard made the All Defensive team as just a Freshman. Richmond will be in the fight next season.
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

URI
UMass
SLU
SJU
Davidson
VCU

Not sure I see St Joseph's being up there
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ramster wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

URI
UMass
SLU
SJU
Davidson
VCU

Not sure I see St Joseph's being up there
They had a solid run at the end and they were a few men down I believe.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

ramster wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

URI
UMass
SLU
SJU
Davidson
VCU

I like Duquesne and Richmond too

Keith Dambrot is a heck of a coach and is already turning that program around fast.
Eric Williams Jr 6'5" made the all Rookie Team.
Tyus Verhoeven 6'11" made the All Defensive team as just a Freshman. Quite amazing statement that 3 of the 5 A10 All Defensive Team Members were Freshmen. Verhoeven, Gilyard of Richmond and Hasahn French of Saint Louis. Surprising any Freshman would make All Defensive Team, never mind 3!!! French also made All Rookie Team.
Eric Williams was the 2nd leading rebounder in the A10 with 8.8 rpg - pretty amazing stat for a Freshman

3 of the Top Shot Blockers in the A10 were just Freshmen. Verhoeven led the A10 in Blocks, French was 2nd and Golden from Richmond was 6th
Dambrot has incoming Transfer Frankie Hughes 6'4" Guard coming in from Missouri where he started. We recruited Hughes. Hughes originally committed to Louisville but changed to Missoui.
Give an idea of his potential, Hughes, as a Freshman, scored 24 points in a 83-82 OT loss to then 10th ranked Xavier. Hughes played 41 minutes, 8-20 FG, 5-13 on threes, 3-5 FTs, 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 3 assists, 4 TOs.
Duquesne will be improved.

For Richmond Grant Golden made the all Rookie team plus Freshman Jacob Gilyard made the All Defensive team as just a Freshman. Richmond will be in the fight next season.
Just saw that Verhoeven is transferring from the Dukes. Tough blow for them.
0 x