The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by PeteRI »

Pasquale's in SK is pretty damn good, especially the individual pies made in the special pizza oven.

Y'all know that Pepe's is opening a store in Warwick, right? Best CT pizza in RI. Clam pizza with bacon ... Fuggedddobouddittt!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Iggy1979 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Where is Iggy?
Hurley is telling people at some point he wants to go somewhere that potentially he can win a national championship. He thinks, based on prior success, that could be UConn, although he understands the challenges there. If he stays it's only delaying his inevitable departure.
What sayeth Ace?

That's fine give us 2 more years at URI then get a better job in a high P5 conf definitely better job than Pittsburgh or UCONN
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

reef wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Hurley is telling people at some point he wants to go somewhere that potentially he can win a national championship. He thinks, based on prior success, that could be UConn, although he understands the challenges there. If he stays it's only delaying his inevitable departure.
What sayeth Ace?

That's fine give us 2 more years at URI then get a better job in a high P5 conf definitely better job than Pittsburgh or UCONN
Agreed, stay two more years and leave a real substantial legacy at URI as well as leave the program in a substantial better place than if he left it now. Hurley seems like a straight class guy as we all know, hopefully this is under consideration.
0 x
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

Modern Pizza is probably the best in New Haven. Pepes still very good, but not as it was 30 years ago.
UConn is a long boring drive to the middle of nowhere. 95 to URI is easy plus the train station nearby is huge.
UConn job is a risk. So so conference, living off the past. State has big time financial problems so budget will probably be seeing cuts for years to come. If you don't succeed at UConn, your coaching career is over, like Ollies. Is the bump in pay worth it?
Pitt is serious money. Elite conference is a plus and minus. Program can only go one way but how high is the question. Succeed there and your next step is anywhere you want. Question is if you can be competitive with Duke and North Carolina.
URI is being a big fish in a small pond. On the verge of building a special mid major with national recognition. A 10 recruiting will always be a challenge against the big boys. Pay is weakest among the three but quality of life the highest. Securest job.
Pitt or URI?
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:^ Well...pizza does beat a gas station hot dog, pretty much any day of the week..
Love me them gas station hot dogs!!!
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

100+ people on here, get some free advertising of those Rhody pizza joints! :lol:
0 x
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

Kingston Pizza rules!!!! We live in CT. Just sent a letter to my state rep screaming about how Uconn has botched this coaching thing in a time when the states budget is a mess.

Next letter was to Thor suggesting we reaseat the Ryan center to raise funds to cover contact bump for coach Hurley.

Donated and bought my season tickets today. Not sure there is much more I can do from over here. Fingers crossed.
1 x
We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....how old is Coach Hurley?.......How long does he want to coach?.......didn’t someone here, Rod?a ways back mention that Dan couldn’t see himself coaching forever.......?
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Iggy1979 wrote:
What sayeth Ace?
Isn’t this what we have all known, or assumed, from Day 1? I would sign up for delaying the inevitable at this point. The longer Hurley is here, the more firmly entrenched the gains made with the basketball program become and the more sustainable they will be. It’s a worthwhile investment, even if he only stays long enough to bring the 2019-20 team to the second weekend and then goes and takes a legit P5 job where he can win a title.

If this were the UConn or Pitt jobs of 10 years ago in the old Big East, it would be hard for me to even craft an argument that he should stay. I am not here to just rip and denigrate UConn - I don’t hate UConn the way I know some others do - and I believe in Dan’s ability as a coach enough that if anyone can win another title at UConn it may just be Dan. But it is definitely not the best opportunity he can get.

Yes, selfishly I wish he would stay at URI a little longer. But I also honestly believe that he would be better off, too. There will be better opportunities and ones more deserving of him.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

reef wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
What sayeth Ace?

Exactly.

We'd all love for him to be CFL here, but we also all realize that isn't likely.

We're just saying stay for now and be patient and top level P5 jobs will come calling.

He's this much of a coaching name already just making 2 NCAAs. His name will be that much bigger making a few more and throwing in 1 or 2 runs to the Sweet 16 and beyond.

He hasn't maxed out what can be done here both for the program or his own interests
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I am of the opinion that he will stay. 85% certain. Not based on anything but things he has said recently about family and Fatts. Now it is up to Thorr to make it happen.

As our friend Tom Petty said

"The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you see one more card
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part"
3 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Pizza is pizza...unless it's thin crust, which sucks...very little variation, it's not a gourmet food that needs to be rated, as long as there's enough cheese and no crazy vegetables... just my opinion. If you're going to drive any distance at all for food, it's probably not going to be for pizza.

Effie's Twisted Pizza in Exeter is perfectly fine...
208 I like ya a lot but this is just so wrong.

Effie’s ain’t bad if it’s well done but ain’t no New Haven Pepe’s....

Pizza goes way beyond gourmet Pizza is a lifestyle!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Pizza is like sex -- even when it's lousy it's still pretty good.
6 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:But I also honestly believe that he would be better off, too. There will be better opportunities and ones more deserving of him.
This.

Dan’s agent shouldn’t be pushing him. The dream jobs will open up soon.

Keep the family in Rhode Island if Thorr completes the check list.

Go Rhody?
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Nothing to add on the Hurley front other than I hope he stays.... as far as pizza my go to spot is catanzarro’s in Cranston
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

CT Rhody wrote:Why does every article Kmac writes just feel like he is putting down URI to make PC seem bigger and better? He’s a PC booster parading as a journalist and it’s getting down right embarrassing at this point.
He needs to keep those treats coming from his kennel-masters at the former insane asylum on Eaton Street. Good dog, Li'l Kevie!
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

Not sure how we've begun talking about pizza over Hurley but to add, Westcott Pizza in West Warwick.. that's my go-to spot. So good! LOL :lol:

I'm hoping we have a decision coming today, can't take this any longer. (hoping good news obviously)
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody1992 wrote:Not sure how we've begun talking about pizza over Hurley but to add, Westcott Pizza in West Warwick.. that's my go-to spot. So good! LOL :lol:

I'm hoping we have a decision coming today, can't take this any longer. (hoping good news obviously)
I love Wescott House! I haven't been there in ages. My mom and sister live close by there.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I’m much happier that this has turned into a pizza show since no decision has been made yet.

Didn’t see Nino’s, Famous, Uncle Tony’s or Tommy’s up here though. What’s wrong with you people??

Don’t sleep on Frank and Johns in EG either.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Guys, Catanzaro's pizza in cranston. Best pizza in RI. Also has the greatest chicken parm calzones.

Also, NYGFan_Section208, I find your lack of pizza love very disturbing.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:I’m much happier that this has turned into a pizza show since no decision has been made yet.

Didn’t see Nino’s, Famous, Uncle Tony’s or Tommy’s up here though. What’s wrong with you people??

Don’t sleep on Frank and Johns in EG either.
I was holding off on using Uncle Tony's in the RI/CT pizza debate to keep things fair.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

So, I think the two programs we most want to emulate are Gonzaga and Wichita State. I would love to keep Coach Hurley a few more years to keep things building here, but also look at when both of those programs really began to take off ... it was after the first initial coach left for greener pastures. Dan Monson left Gonzaga to go to Minnesota, Mark Few stepped in and took it to the next level. Mark Turgeon left Wichita State to go to Texas A&M, then Gregg Marshall brought it to the next level.

IF Dan leaves, the next hire is absolutely critical if we are to just go back to middle of the road A10, or if we want to take it to a new level. Time will tell, I trust in Thorr and Dr. Dooley.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Some here have said that Thorr has made a surprisingly competitive offer.

If so, then take it Dan!

We all know he will leave at some point. Let that point be later.

You can't compete for a national title on a consistent basis out of the A10. However you can have a season or two where it all comes together and get close, at least.

As for pizza, pepe's is OK, good when hot, but that's it. There's many places that are better.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

being from new haven, there is a difference between new haven pepe's vs pepe's from the numerous other pizza joints they opened.

having said that, like someone said earlier. Modern is better than pepe's

now, back to hurley...

nervous day today

part of me is hoping that hurley is using this as leverage to improve basketball infrastructure at uri

i hope this is the case

losing him today would be devastating in my opinion

can't lose this guy.. he put us on the national map
1 x
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

rambone 78 wrote:Some here have said that Thorr has made a surprisingly competitive offer.

If so, then take it Dan!

We all know he will leave at some point. Let that point be later.

You can't compete for a national title on a consistent basis out of the A10. However you can have a season or two where it all comes together and get close, at least.

As for pizza, pepe's is OK, good when hot, but that's it. There's many places that are better.
Have there been any details about Rhodys offer? We know Pitts is around 3M, UConn around 2M, but nothing so far about Rhody. Just it’s competitive.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

hrstrat57 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:But I also honestly believe that he would be better off, too. There will be better opportunities and ones more deserving of him.
This.

Go Rhody?
You guys are much more convinced than I am that the top 20 or so jobs will be coming for him. He has done a really nice job at URI but two round of 32s in six years? And with a lull in the roster (i.e probably taking a mini step back for a year or two)? If he is going to say no to UConn and Pitt, he better be ready to never have that better job (and money) come his way. Again, great job over six years but not exactly the profile of someone who gets a job like Shaka did at Texas or Archie at Indiana.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Al Forno.jpg
Best Pizza in RI.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

3 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:
This.

Go Rhody?
You guys are much more convinced than I am that the top 20 or so jobs will be coming for him. He has done a really nice job at URI but two round of 32s in six years? And with a lull in the roster (i.e probably taking a mini step back for a year or two)? If he is going to say no to UConn and Pitt, he better be ready to never have that better job (and money) come his way. Again, great job over six years but not exactly the profile of someone who gets a job like Shaka did at Texas or Archie at Indiana.
It's more a combination of that and his last name. If his name was John Smith and he had the exact same resume he wouldn't have gotten the Rutgers offer and schools wouldn't be lining up to interview him.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What I want, besides keeping Dan, is seeing what this recruiting class can do.

When has Rhody EVER had 2 4 star big men coming in? If we lose them, then what? How long before we get any more?

This is about as big as it gets around here. The timing is absolutely critical for this program to keep moving on an upward trajectory.

Yeah we might hire another coach who turns out to be a good one. But how long will it take to build things back up to where they are now?
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PillPushr wrote:So, I think the two programs we most want to emulate are Gonzaga and Wichita State. I would love to keep Coach Hurley a few more years to keep things building here, but also look at when both of those programs really began to take off ... it was after the first initial coach left for greener pastures. Dan Monson left Gonzaga to go to Minnesota, Mark Few stepped in and took it to the next level. Mark Turgeon left Wichita State to go to Texas A&M, then Gregg Marshall brought it to the next level.

IF Dan leaves, the next hire is absolutely critical if we are to just go back to middle of the road A10, or if we want to take it to a new level. Time will tell, I trust in Thorr and Dr. Dooley.
Exactly!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Why would Jeff Jacobs tweet a URI inspired youtube video with Mr. and Mrs. Coach Hurley decked out in Rhody gear?
2 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That Jeff Jacobs is an embarrassment.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

scine20 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:
This.

Go Rhody?
It's more a combination of that and his last name. If his name was John Smith and he had the exact same resume he wouldn't have gotten the Rutgers offer and schools wouldn't be lining up to interview him.
I think that is GBG trolling.

URI has been in tournament contention arguably for 4 years. It's obvious URI is recruiting at a higher level now. So things point toward actually being better and these years being his floor.

Last year's loss to Oregon or this year's loss to Duke aren't really knocks against his coaching.

The name is everything. I personally prefer a coach that is staying or leaving. Not 2 more years or something. Talking about waiting for a better job? I don't care what job he takes after URI. I don't think it is a stretch for URI to find a good coach that will want to stay at URI. I think the problem is the successful coach with the right work ethic is likely working so hard to get to the next stop.

The landscape has shifted here. Pointing to Dayton/SLU/VCU investment in basketball? Look no further than their NCAA credits. The 2 million dollar gap has to correlate to their success. Not their blind investment.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Whilst we agonize here it might be worth remembering that both Harrick and Penders inherited Rhode Island teams that quickly were legit D1 championship contenders.

These are different times of course but worth noting as we all look for the appropriate bridge to jump off....

OK back to pizza talk please.

I think Modern NH is as good as Pepe's btw every bit the equal, some pie versions maybe better. New Haven is however a long way from the back woods of Storrs.

Carry on....
0 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

steviep123 wrote:
Rhody1992 wrote:Not sure how we've begun talking about pizza over Hurley but to add, Westcott Pizza in West Warwick.. that's my go-to spot. So good! LOL :lol:

I love Wescott House! I haven't been there in ages. My mom and sister live close by there.
GOing to have to try this; Famous Pizza in W. Warwick is my go-to in this area, that square pizza.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:
This.

Go Rhody?
I'm baking into my opinion that I think the 2019-20 team will be his best team. I think that team will open as many eyes/doors as this one did. Add to that I think next year has a chance to be a dark horse NCAA tournament team and you put all that together - possibly four consecutive tournament teams, potentially coming off a second weekend run, winning games in the tournament likely three different years...if the Connecticut and Pitt jobs can come from what he's done so far, I think better jobs will come from what he can do next. I guess your take on this is going to depend on what you see as the trajectory of the program. For me, I think we are only partway up the mountain, not over the top and on the way back down. I know a lot of the perception nationally is more the latter than the former, but I chalk that up to those guys not really being in the details.
7 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

sandman012 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

GOing to have to try this; Famous Pizza in W. Warwick is my go-to in this area, that square pizza.
Westcott also does their large pizza as a square.. best pepperoni pizza by far. I like Famous too but Westcott trumps it, easily.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:That Jeff Jacobs is an embarrassment.
I don't even get what he was doing?
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
scine20 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: You guys are much more convinced than I am that the top 20 or so jobs will be coming for him. He has done a really nice job at URI but two round of 32s in six years? And with a lull in the roster (i.e probably taking a mini step back for a year or two)? If he is going to say no to UConn and Pitt, he better be ready to never have that better job (and money) come his way. Again, great job over six years but not exactly the profile of someone who gets a job like Shaka did at Texas or Archie at Indiana.
I think that is GBG trolling.

URI has been in tournament contention arguably for 4 years. It's obvious URI is recruiting at a higher level now. So things point toward actually being better and these years being his floor.

Last year's loss to Oregon or this year's loss to Duke aren't really knocks against his coaching.

The name is everything. I personally prefer a coach that is staying or leaving. Not 2 more years or something. Talking about waiting for a better job? I don't care what job he takes after URI. I don't think it is a stretch for URI to find a good coach that will want to stay at URI. I think the problem is the successful coach with the right work ethic is likely working so hard to get to the next stop.

The landscape has shifted here. Pointing to Dayton/SLU/VCU investment in basketball? Look no further than their NCAA credits. The 2 million dollar gap has to correlate to their success. Not their blind investment.
The name is nice but I think we are, mostly, past that. He has eight college years on his resume. If we are being honest, it isn't the resume that gets you hired at a top P5 job. That and the fact that this roster is turning over have to be part of the math, here. Unless he wants to be here for another five years, which seems pretty possible. He genuinely seems conflicted. I just don't necessarily buy that he can pass on these chances and wait for a top 20 job. He'll have to take another group on another nice run. Maybe '19-'20 is that team.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He’s getting Top 40 job offers with 2 NCAA first round wins. Is it really that much of a stretch to think with a deeper run he won’t get Top 20 job offers? Me thinks not. I also believe he does not see Pitt or Uconn as destination jobs and would prefer to not hop around.
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

steveystuds06 wrote:Al Forno.jpg

Best Pizza in RI.
al forno grilled pizza ..... I put grilled pizza in a different category. Best grilled pizza I have had no doubt.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think it's safe to say that Dan would have us in several more NCAA tournaments if he stays.

That's a lot more cash to invest in the program.

BAR, I agree about those not being his final destination jobs.

The comment by Dan that Iggy posted does bother me a little though. When he's talking to people about going to a place where he can compete for a national championship.

I though that was his goal here. I guess he doesn't think we can.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Personally, whatever he does, I wish whatever decision he makes, makes him and his family happy.....
.....Being a CT native the choice as to where to live would be easy. Not the Steel City. Certainly not UConn...........The choice is clear, South County.
.....The satisfaction of personal accomplishment seems to be the issue [if you read the many reports of "a person close"]....However, that doesn't seem to be the pattern of a man who taught for nine years until age 36 at a high school.
.....Could the issue be whether to make $35,000/week, or $60,000/week? I don't think that is the biggest consideration.
.....If the issue is the infrastructure alone, I can't believe URI can't put a plan in place to satisfy that need.

For me, cut this annual circus out, for once and for all.....We are in the company of 50 or so good programs who don't have to wade through this each year. It is not good for the program...............So, either URI is being a cheep skate, or Dan needs to man-up and commit to a decision that stops this.
2 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

Wow, big if true.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

What does that even mean?

ETA: wait, sorry. I was caught up on "offices closed," which I cannot contextualize. But did that dude say URI "matched" UConn's offer? We have to be precise with our words here - does Stone know that? If he does, yes Big If True would be an understatement.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I just dont think that URI could have matched UConn's offer... especially program wise
2 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Rhody09 wrote:

Wow, big if true.
Wonder what exactly URI is matching, aside from salary. Pretty sure everyone agrees this isn't solely about his salary, might be last on the pecking order relatively speaking.

All I have to say is, I hope URI student newspaper ends up being the accurate and correctly breaking media outlet.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:He’s getting Top 40 job offers with 2 NCAA first round wins. Is it really that much of a stretch to think with a deeper run he won’t get Top 20 job offers? Me thinks not. I also believe he does not see Pitt or Uconn as destination jobs and would prefer to not hop around.
Well, yeah, this is exactly what I'm saying. But that assumes a whole lot of stuff. And it also assumes he'd be willing to completely leave the area. What top 20 job within driving distance of NJ is opening? Does it even exist?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:
This.

Go Rhody?
This is a pretty hot take IMO. When looking at coaching profiles you also have to look at what a coach inherited. Both Miller and Smart were hired after previous coaches left for bigger programs. Hurley followed a coach that had been fired.

Think about how everyone was talking about Collins after Northwestern made the tourney last year. Doing something that hasn't been done in a long time is a big deal. Also looking at Hurley's record in the tourney, being .500 after this school had such a long drought, that means something.

If Mike White could get hired at Florida, then it's absolutely feasible that Hurley could get a top 20 job in the near future.
0 x