The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bigsnoop wrote:The Boneyard is getting beyond ridiculous. Now they're saying that Connecticut pizza is better than Rhode Island pizza.

Uuggggggggggghhhhh
Frank Pepe vs Caserta...tough, honestly.

Nos. 3-100 all have to be in RI, though.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Why does every article Kmac writes just feel like he is putting down URI to make PC seem bigger and better? He’s a PC booster parading as a journalist and it’s getting down right embarrassing at this point.
8 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:
Bigsnoop wrote:The Boneyard is getting beyond ridiculous. Now they're saying that Connecticut pizza is better than Rhode Island pizza.

Uuggggggggggghhhhh
Frank Pepe vs Caserta...tough, honestly.

Nos. 3-100 all have to be in RI, though.
Don't have to even break out Caserta.

Napolitanos takes them out
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Barstool Rhody (@barstoolrhody on Twitter) is organizing a rally tomorrow at Noon at the Ryan Center. Retweet his post on Twitter if you can make it. Everyone is welcome.

Classes are cancelled tomorrow at URI because of forecasted storm. Hopefully a strong student showing. Chanting outside would tug on Dan’s heart. He loves the fan support.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

You guys want pizza (besides Caserta’s) you go to Rosa Mia’s in Johnston. Nuff said. Mangia.
3 x
GO RAMS
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Have 16,000 students pay an athletic (or any other name) fee of $25. per semester creates $800,000 per year of additional income to seal the deal when added to NCAA income for at least the next 5 years or so.
2 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhody83 wrote:
Joe95 wrote:Just watched Fatts Russell instagram live feed. People were asking him left and right about Hurley. He did say "Everyone asking me if coach Hurley staying, want me to tell them the truth." But then then did not say anything about it after. I also heard him mention something about a workout in the morning and how they have no coach for what it's worth. I guess we will see what happens but not to optimistic.
The workouts are unsupervised after the season for all teams. The womens team posted a brief clip stating their workouts have started.
Workouts are definitely supervised immediately after the season. Teams are allowed 8 hours per week of supervised work. 2 of those hours are with basketball coaches the rest with the strength and conditioning coach.

For Fatts to say that is telling, the coaches met with the players today.

For what it's worth I heard Thorr came with a surprisingly good offer, though in the end it likely won't be enough. But no one should be upset with Thorr or Dooley as they did everything within their power to keep Hurley.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

To divert the ridiculous sky is falling conversation I'm going to continue this pizza discussion.

Do you guys actually believe RI pizza is better than CT pizza? How many places have you eaten pizza there? Be HONEST! LOL

Most CT pizza I have had is basically an extension of NYC pizza -- the best pizza on Earth. The further you get up 95, the more suspect it gets. Starting at Mystic pizza.

Shit, some of you guys actually believe Caserta makes good pizza? YIKES lol their schtick is the wimpy skippy I didn't even know people actually ate pizza there. :lol:

FYI I'm RI born and RI bred.

Pot, stirred. ;)
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You didn’t stir the pot, that’s a laughably bad take.
3 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:You didn’t stir the pot, that’s a laughably bad take.
The funny part is, off this isolated post on this isolated RODE ILANDAH message board... it's reaaaaaaallllly not. *shrug* *stirs*
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Yep that's wack dude, Frank Pepe's is overrated. New England pizza is definitely inferior to New York pizza, but CT is not a good food state pretty much across the board.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Pizza is pizza...unless it's thin crust, which sucks...very little variation, it's not a gourmet food that needs to be rated, as long as there's enough cheese and no crazy vegetables... just my opinion. If you're going to drive any distance at all for food, it's probably not going to be for pizza.

Effie's Twisted Pizza in Exeter is perfectly fine...
0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

RI pizza isn't going to win any real argument. CT pizza is indeed just wannabe NY pizza with no slices sold.
1 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Puck Frovidence wrote:Yep that's wack dude, Frank Pepe's is overrated. New England pizza is definitely inferior to New York pizza, but CT is not a good food state pretty much across the board.
This, I will agree with through and through. I think Frank Pepe's is mediocre, truth be told. It's the small unknown spots that really define the state of pizza quality in any given radius. Basically 90% of pizza places in RI all use the same exact bullshit ingredients from Sysco or a similar supplier.
0 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Ah yes New York great place. Where people work 100 hours a week to live in practical poverty, have an apartment the size of closet, and then brag about it. Nothing like the smell of urine in the streets. Yep NYC. I think I'll pass on their pizza. It's good but it's not the best. Not by far.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Pizza is pizza...unless it's thin crust, which sucks...very little variation, it's not a gourmet food that needs to be rated, as long as there's enough cheese and no crazy vegetables... just my opinion. If you're going to drive any distance at all for food, it's probably not going to be for pizza.

This, folks, is why you cannot trust a URI basketball forum's take on Pizza.

I am offended, personally, to my core (sarcasm). Pizza is one of the foods most traveled for! You crazy!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I’m convinced we retain coach. I’m confident Thorr and president Dooley realize the significance of losing him. They know what will get it done and they are going to come through.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Guys cmon, casertas, Al Forno, Bob and Timmys, Tommys, Rosa Mia's, Coal Fire pizza, Antonios, Twins, theres pizza with every shape, style and flavor here.
3 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I could totally go for a wimpy skippy right now, (I called them “wimpy skimpys” when I was little) since I’ve worked up an appetite reading through the last few pages of this thread. :lol:
Last edited by Taylor Swift 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Tom98 wrote:I’m convinced we retain coach. I’m confident Thorr and president Dooley realize the significance of losing him. They know what will get it done and they are going to come through.
If the university doesn't capitalize on the opportunity to use Dan's success here as a springboard of free marketing into the future... this university truly is doomed. Danny is the best thing to happen in Kingston for a long time, if they let him go it's pure hilarity.

Look into the impact Mark Few had on attendance at Gonzaga. The school was barely staying afloat before he came in... now their acceptance rate is tiny. In less than 2 decades.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketb ... y-flourish
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dooley was sitting right behind the team at the Sunday Selection party in Washington. I think he is all in. He understands the impact the MBB has on the University all around the country. When he makes presentations to alumni all over they want to talk about the team.
3 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

the_one_mike wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Pizza is pizza...unless it's thin crust, which sucks...very little variation, it's not a gourmet food that needs to be rated, as long as there's enough cheese and no crazy vegetables... just my opinion. If you're going to drive any distance at all for food, it's probably not going to be for pizza.

This, folks, is why you cannot trust a URI basketball forum's take on Pizza.

I am offended, personally, to my core (sarcasm). Pizza is one of the foods most traveled for! You crazy!
Yeah can't say I agree with that ice cold take NYG. To be fair though, I suspect NYGFan is slightly older, possibly a boomer. They were more tolerant (less of food snobs) about such things than the X'ers and us millennial types.

I also suspect this extra time may be due to Thorr and Dooley scrambling to get something tasty together. Donated and renewed and added tix today. All in baby.
Last edited by Puck Frovidence 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Thorr and Dooley were always on the floor after the games. The passion is certainly there.
1 x
GO RAMS
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Rhodymob05 wrote:Thorr and Dooley were always on the floor after the games. The passion is certainly there.
That I can't argue with. That said, where are their priorities overall? This is going to require a lot of lobbying in the statehouse to make this happen, dollar wise. I can see Gina being supportive of the state's public university trying to expand its outreach athletically.

The recipe is right, what are we doing to capitalize? Danny made promises and came through. Will the university do the same? These have to be questions he is asking himself, and they will likely determine his decision on whether or not he stays. Rome wasn't built in a night but if he doesn't feel the drive from those around him is as maniacal as his own he very well may choose a situation where he has more resources to win a ring.

I don't see it though. Not yet. Not now. While the opportunities may be great, similar opportunities come and go. And what he has here next year is far better than anything he would inherit elsewhere... this is a chance for him to continue building that resume for the job he REALLY wants, wherever that may be... Shit, if you ask me, that's here as long as WE (THAT INCLUDES US; OUR VOICE, OUR DEMANDS, AND OUR WALLETS) continue to be dedicated to winning and progressing.
Last edited by the_one_mike 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

eli#10 wrote:Have 16,000 students pay an athletic (or any other name) fee of $25. per semester creates $800,000 per year of additional income to seal the deal when added to NCAA income for at least the next 5 years or so.
https://web.uri.edu/enrollment/tuition- ... full-time/

From what I know, that’s part of the Student Services fee already you’ll see on the attached URL.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

mstyles22 wrote:
For what its worth... the initial Jeff Jacobs tweet that started all of this is now deleted. Parrish links to it in the above tweet.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In the reading the tea leaves category, Fatts just liked a video clip put out by Corey Oleary with Dan talking about how much him and Fatts are going to do over next couple years.
3 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Oh man we may know tomorrow
Attachments
Screenshot_20180320-224026.jpg
5 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
theblueram wrote:What's amazing is how a coach can turn a school into a powerhouse. Prior to Coach K, Dook made 7 NCAAT. Think about that. Coach K has taken Dook to 35 tournaments. I guess it just depends on what your ambitions are. You can be a coach at a school who has success and be another cog in the wheel, or you can be defined as a coach who took a school, made a program and you own it.
this.

you can make your own legacy, or live in the shadow of someone else's for a few years before they throw you aside for the next hot coach.

To me, Hurley is in that 1st group. Wants to do things his way and make his own legacy
The problem is being in the a10. The only current coach who is similar to Hurley's situation is Mark Few at Gonzaga. Obviously I'm not a college basketball coach but I think it's safe to say it's much easier to build a national powerhouse in a top conference than it is in the a10, especially when you're trying to build a powerhouse from the program Hurley inherited. I think Hurley realizes he can consistently make the NCAA tournament at URI but how long will it take to get the program to the point where before the season starts we're talked about as a potential championship team? It's kind of similar to his situation at Wagner. At Wagner he could have a great season but not make the tournament. Now at URI he can have a great season but still end up as a 7 seed matched up against a team like Duke in the second round. Although, with all that said I'm not sure UConn is in a great situation to return to being a national powerhouse but maybe Dan will see differently.

Like everyone else I really hope Hurley stays but I also hope if Hurley does end up leaving then the administration and fans realize what a great foundation Hurley has set for us and don't let the program fall back into mediocrity because he's gone.
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

I can’t wait till Thursday. My head might explode.

And anyone who says New Haven pizza is overrated is straight up crazy. Any true pizza expert, who has sampled pies across the globe, and there are many, rate New Haven amongst the best.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

hrstrat57 wrote:

Uuggggggggggghhhhh
Frank Pepe's is pretty good, just sayin
Meh
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Just not seeing pizza as a food to get snobby over...millenial or not... To me, it's a 'safe' food, when options are limited...not something to seek out. Beer, on the other hand...I have witnesses that will confirm I'd walk a mile in a snow squall in Pittsburgh to avoid the limited hotel selection... :lol:
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Just not seeing pizza as a food to get snobby over...millenial or not... To me, it's a 'safe' food, when options are limited...not something to seek out. Beer, on the other hand...I have witnesses that will confirm I'd walk a mile in a snow squall in Pittsburgh to avoid the limited hotel selection... :lol:
One of them would have to kill you if he was forced to comment. You are a bad fan.
I, however, will gladly testify.

I would walk for pizza, but not Pepe's.

UConn sucks.

Really bro?!? Storrs?!?!? C'mon man!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ Well...pizza does beat a gas station hot dog, pretty much any day of the week.

The UConn board is quite entertaining...I'm not sure which would result in a bigger meltdown...this board, if Hurley leaves, or that board if he doesn't go to UCOnn...
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

josephski wrote:I think Hurley realizes he can consistently make the NCAA tournament at URI but how long will it take to get the program to the point where before the season starts we're talked about as a potential championship team? It's kind of similar to his situation at Wagner. At Wagner he could have a great season but not make the tournament. Now at URI he can have a great season but still end up as a 7 seed matched up against a team like Duke in the second round.
This really touches on the key of whether or not he stays. It's how committed we are to eventually truly competing for championships, and starting to draw up a real timeline to get there. It's not reaching for the stars anymore, we played DOWN to a 7 seed this year. If we develop the program with facilities that draw 4 and 5 star recruits I truly believe we can be there... we WILL be there.

We come back next season with a lot of respect and attention from the both the AP and other coaches if Danny returns. With the recruiting class we have PLUS one more scholarship for a transfer/grad player we can easily get back to the round of 32 again next year. The league will be tougher but that, if anything, could be best.

We (the A10) got in 3 teams this year on an off season. We could easily see 4 or even 5 teams in at one point over the next two seasons with how strong these young teams are/will be in the A10. Outside the league, we are easily poised to have a legitimate shot at not only the tournament, but tournament wins over the next 4 years. If the program hasn't developed to where Danny wants it to be after the incoming freshmen graduate, that's when I see him start to consider leaving. That's a decade at URI and he will have completely changed the culture here, if he were to leave at that point.

Maybe I'm just hopeful here but if you look at the mess at both UConn and Pitt, regarding the salary disputes with outbound coaches, Danny certainly has to realize continuing to grow a program here is a much greener pasture than being robbed by your employer.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Pizza Lady in Pawcatuck, CT...take out only. Different and better than most you've had.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

eli#10 wrote:Have 16,000 students pay an athletic (or any other name) fee of $25. per semester creates $800,000 per year of additional income to seal the deal when added to NCAA income for at least the next 5 years or so.
Shit, that's roughly the price of a 30 pack of beer! Not bad at all. The choice is clear....buy Dan lots of beer!!! #Beerbribe Dilly! Dilly! :P
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I wonder what Bobby is telling him. You know they are talking a lot the last two days.

I also think about how Dan could face Fatts and to a lesser extent what he would say to the 4 incoming Fr.
You know they all had to ask Dan before they signed if he was going to stay.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Famous Pizza in scituate is not artisan but it's good old school pizza. The pepperoni is that thick cut kind that the edge curls up when it cooks.
4 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:Famous Pizza in scituate is not artisan but it's good old school pizza. The pepperoni is that thick cut kind that the edge curls up when it cooks.
Famous, to me, defines GOOD Rhode Island style pizza. It's those ronis, man.
1 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Famous pizza is good. The mews pepperoni curls like that. It's the type people will steal off your slice.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts just put out on Instagram. “Year 2 loading” with his pic in a Rhody NCAA shirt.

5 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

theblueram wrote:Where is Iggy?
Hurley is telling people at some point he wants to go somewhere that potentially he can win a national championship. He thinks, based on prior success, that could be UConn, although he understands the challenges there. If he stays it's only delaying his inevitable departure.
What sayeth Ace?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

sandman012 wrote:I can’t wait till Thursday. My head might explode.

And anyone who says New Haven pizza is overrated is straight up crazy. Any true pizza expert, who has sampled pies across the globe, and there are many, rate New Haven amongst the best.
Agreed New Haven pizza is good. URI may be closer to New Haven than UConn. How is Vernon or Tolland pizza, it sucks!
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

He is far closer to a national championship at URI next year. He can make that the normal if URI steps up and makes the moves.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Question is, is Dan closer to Bob Sr. or Jr. motivation-wise?
0 x