The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rambone 78 wrote:Was Dan headed TO URI or AWAY from it? lol

Been reading this thread from NJ the last few days. Some really crazy shit.

Thorr and Dooley have to have known this was coming....if Moore and Calhoun were talking to Dan...you think they would have been aware of it?

Anyway, it looks like URI will try a Hail Mary to keep Dan......no enhancements were offered after last season? That's not good, and may be a big reason why Dan is really looking hard at offers this time around.

It's going to take a huge commitment to keep him now.
A commitment that absolutely has to be made. Captain obvious here but you gotta spend money to make money. We’ve rolled in dough now for two years. If reports of what DH is asking for are remotely close to accurate meeting his reasonable demands is an absolute no brainer.

URI - do what the man wants and enjoy the continued success ( and money)

Get the thing done. Or surrender once again to Friartown.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

URI needs a go fund me...Dan Hurley.....page.....

Calling all BIG boosters!

208, yeah some ham with a few million on top......
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

pay-that-man-his-money.jpg
pay-that-man-his-money.jpg (15.67 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Lol I'm out on posting today friends. See you on the other side.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

My father is Bill Gates, and my family is totally on board with donating to a Dan Hurley fund!

We will be giving 10 million dollars for every NCAA tournament win that PC has gotten in the past two years.
2 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Bill Koch just tweeted that DH was at the Ryan Center for a good portion of the day today. Sorry, two minutes too late
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Will be interesting to find out exactly what URI is offering to keep Dan.....if it fails, will Cox or other candidates get the same promises of enhancements and the like?

They had better, or those who say URI isn't truly committed to going big will be right.

It's either go big, or go home. Shit or get off the pot.

That tweet by Koch may infer that Dan got URI's offer today, and he's going home to make a final decision...oh to be a fly on that wall.

Dan when he was at Rt1 and 138 was calling Andrea...something about ham for dinner......
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hurley Show wrote:Bill Koch just tweeted that DH was at the Ryan Center for a good portion of the day today. Sorry, two minutes too late
Was he carrying out boxes? If not we’re still good!
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

Blue Man wrote:
URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Lol I'm out on posting today friends. See you on the other side.
Quitter!

(Smart move)
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The pressure and stress that man is going through this week, woof.
0 x
GO RAMS
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I swear Dan said he hated losing and the first couple of years( beginning of rebuild ) were the toughest of his career. I obviously don't have the quotes but he said something like he did not want to do that again.. Pitt??? 0-18 in ACC... 9 guys asking for release.. Seems like that is a bigger project than this
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:The pressure and stress that man is going through this week, woof.
Sign me up for dealing with the pressure of deciding between a 3M, 2M, and 1.5M job
10 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:If coach leaves we’re gonna need a go fund me page to get EZBuckets to stay....

Gonna be 2012 starting over. Dunno if I’ll be brave enough to ride that train....
What are his demands.
:lol: :lol:

First off - I haven’t logged in since Sunday anddddd wow this thread has me crying laughing.

Secondly, I will without hesitation allow Thorr to add into any proposed contract a stipulation that I will immediately unretire if it is enough to sweeten the deal to keep our guy here where he belongs.
17 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Rhody1992 wrote:
Shinze88 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Sup secretly spying UCONN and PC fans we know you're here. 254 guests are viewing.
I haven't thought about this from a PC fans perspective as to which they'd prefer. On one hand, if Hurley goes to UCONN, they will become a major threat to PC on the recruiting front, especially in the Northeast, and if he stays at URI and continues to build the program, the even shrinking gap between URI & PC becomes that much closer. If I'm a PC fan, I'd be pulling for Hurley to stay put at URI.
Looking at their board, they say the best possible outcome is to spurn both UConn and Rhody and to go to Pitt (least likely to happen though).

Seems like consensus over there is still split, with maybe more leaning they want Hurley to stay at URI so they can watch the show on the BoneYard (UConn's board) after Hurley stays at URI. LOL, actually a good take from someone over there.

Isn't "they" actually you?
1 x
friarj
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by friarj »

sf2010 wrote:Bigsnoop vs collegehoopsjunky

TWO MEN ENTER - ONE MAN LEAVES!
So you have a UConn troll and PC fan fighting it out on KeaneyBlue about Danny Hurley. You can't make this stuff up.
13 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ram1980 wrote:I swear Dan said he hated losing and the first couple of years( beginning of rebuild ) were the toughest of his career. I obviously don't have the quotes but he said something like he did not want to do that again.. Pitt??? 0-18 in ACC... 9 guys asking for release.. Seems like that is a bigger project than this
Also - this is not to denigrate our incoming class, but even if he took all those guys to Pitt he is not really competitive in the ACC for at least a couple years. Compare that to staying at Rhody where the core returning players alone will put them in the top half of the league. If 1 or 2 of the freshmen are ready to play by conference play we are competing for another league championship.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hope URI is offering 1.5 mil a year...and increasing assistants salary pool [by a lot]......from 450K to 650K at least.

And charters for all away games [except UMass of course] and for recruiting....and a concrete announcement for a practice facility.

If they do ALL of that...then we've got a good shot of keeping him.

URI should be able to increase the overall BB budget by at least a million a year....what with the revenue increases that are happening.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

How much does each assistant make?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How does State contribution work here? Can Thorr make a case to increase funding if it benefits the State? We already have Magaziner tweeting to keep Hurley so.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:Hope URI is offering 1.5 mil a year...and increasing assistants salary pool [by a lot]......from 450K to 650K at least.

And charters for all away games [except UMass of course] and for recruiting....and a concrete announcement for a practice facility.

URI should be able to increase the overall BB budget by at least a million a year....what with the revenue increases that are happening.

Get’r done!!!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

First off bye bye Hoops Junkie bye bye you turd !!!

My thoughts are if DH takes the Pitt job for that kind of cash north of 3 M per year I can't blame him and wish him best of luck

If he takes the UConn job I will be absolutely livid and won't pull for him there

Obviously I hope and pray he stays at URI!!
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:Hope URI is offering 1.5 mil a year...and increasing assistants salary pool [by a lot]......from 450K to 650K at least.

Get’r done!!!
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Vinstu
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Vinstu »

I respect Dans decision to take on a bigger program with a better salary, but if he takes players and recruits with him or recruits decomit I will lose respect for him.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

friarj wrote:

So you have a UConn troll and PC fan fighting it out on KeaneyBlue about Danny Hurley. You can't make this stuff up.
Not just ANY PC Fan....
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

friarj wrote:

The CBB Junkie wasn't a UConn fan, but rather a PC fan. Not just ANY PC Fan either....
1 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

ATPTourFan wrote:
sf2010 wrote:Ah, yes. Didn't see that attachment. Too bad he went there, he will be missed.
A review of his prior posts and other forensic analysis confirmed suspicion that he was here to cause trouble under multiple usernames. It sure did seal the deal when at the first sign that I was on to him he broke character. Consider all his posts as fraudulent.

Soooooooo........Yay me?
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's likely going to take outside help to pay Dan. There's only so much gate revenue URI can offer him.

The other enhancements URI can and should be able to handle.

In the past the school has been reluctant to commit money to make improvements based on promises that haven't been kept yet.

Well, I think Dan has kept those promises now, and it's time to pony up. If they do, I would think Dan will continue to deliver.

ATP....seanmc94?
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Nope, 78. Someone else Scout Friars members would know very well.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One more guess...DarthFriar?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Nope 78, more powerful.
0 x
friarj
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by friarj »

ATPTourFan wrote:
friarj wrote:

The CBB Junkie wasn't a UConn fan, but rather a PC fan. Not just ANY PC Fan either....
Darth?
0 x
friarj
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by friarj »

ATPTourFan wrote:Nope 78, more powerful.
Just saw this, no way was it Coren!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

rambone 78 wrote:It's likely going to take outside help to pay Dan. There's only so much gate revenue URI can offer him.

The other enhancements URI can and should be able to handle.

In the past the school has been reluctant to commit money to make improvements based on promises that haven't been kept yet.

Well, I think Dan has kept those promises now, and it's time to pony up. If they do, I would think Dan will continue to deliver.

ATP....seanmc94?
I was thinking that Thor might have to figure in the meeting where he is with what he has and what Dan wants. Then he brings that gap to people with the money and power to make something happen.

I think Dan has shown the relentless work ethic in player development, talent evaluation, and preparing for games that he could legit string together a decade of NCAA tournaments and A10 trophies. It just takes so much work and he seems to love it. Him more than other coaches appears to be the best fit here to take URI to another level. All comes down to the work.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

friarj wrote:
Nope. That's all for now. A truly self-proclaimed CBB Junkie.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:
friarj wrote:
Nope. That's all for now. A truly self-proclaimed CBB Junkie.
BrianLaverty
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SPG, you might be right. Thorr has to hope that whatever gap there is can be filled....tomorrow is likely his last shot to keep him.

Dan wants to know if URI is serious about being really good. This is hardball...he's forcing the issue.

I say good! Dan holds the cards.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

GandysFantasy?
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Steve McDonald/Jim Shorts makes his pitch

https://94hjy.iheart.com/featured/paul- ... ged_social
3 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

EZBuckets wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:If coach leaves we’re gonna need a go fund me page to get EZBuckets to stay....

Gonna be 2012 starting over. Dunno if I’ll be brave enough to ride that train....
What are his demands.
:lol: :lol:

First off - I haven’t logged in since Sunday anddddd wow this thread has me crying laughing.

Secondly, I will without hesitation allow Thorr to add into any proposed contract a stipulation that I will immediately unretire if it is enough to sweeten the deal to keep our guy here where he belongs.
Ha ha EZBuckets!!

I need you to help me back from the abyss of empty blue seats!!

At least I’ll be able to curse Martelli from the RC nosebleeds and he’ll hear me. We can even stare each other down just like 5 years ago!

I’d much rather coach stays tho....

EZBuckets too!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

According to my Facebook memories, Dan Hurley was hired 6 years ago today.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The day that reunited the fanbase. Heady stuff
1 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

reef wrote:First off bye bye Hoops Junkie bye bye you turd !!!

My thoughts are if DH takes the Pitt job for that kind of cash north of 3 M per year I can't blame him and wish him best of luck

If he takes the UConn job I will be absolutely livid and won't pull for him there

Obviously I hope and pray he stays at URI!!
Couldn't agree more. Please...anywhere but UCONN. Aside from the hefty salary increase, Pitt also plays in the best conference in college basketball whereas UCONN plays in the AAC. Contrary to what their delusional fan base seems to think, the AAC is not appreciably better than the A-10. It's a hodgepodge of schools that were left out in the cold during the big conference realignment. At least the A-10 has history and rivalries, and some great coaches with solid young rosters that are on the rise. Not to mention the conference RPI has been better than the AAC for 4 out of the last 5 years I believe. So this idea that UCONN is on a different level conference-wise is just laughable. There's also the pending investigation and potential sanctions hovering over that program. I'm surprised that's not being mentioned in the slew of "Hurley-to-UCONN" articles plastered all over the internet.

And check out that Boneyard message board if you want a good laugh. Wow! They talk about their program as if they're Duke or Kentucky or North Carolina, programs that have experienced sustained success year after year after year. It's actually comical. I think every URI fan can appreciate UCONN's history and the championships they've won, but that was then. It's not the old Big East anymore with Calhoun at the helm. Hell, even the championship Ollie won a few years ago was with Calhoun's players..guys that went there because of HIM. I think we can all agree that URI will never be able to match UCONN in terms of salary and program "perks", but what their fans are failing to realize is that Hurley is building something special here, and it might not be that easy for an emotional, loyal guy like him to just walk away because more money is being thrown in his lap from another school. The fact that we still haven't heard any official announcement just proves that he's torn. I'm certainly not saying that he's going to stay at URI, but I do believe there's a greater chance of that happening than most people will admit.

Either way, I would just hate to see him end up at UCONN. Their fickle fan base doesn't deserve him. They're currently running one of their own former players out of town on a rail, so what do you think will happen to Hurley if he doesn't produce immediate success?? Make the right decision, Dan. Stay at URI. We need you a lot more than UCONN does. GO RHODY!!
4 x
Beachcomber
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Beachcomber »

Been following all this with anticipation and dread. We've been down this road before, and it has not played out well. I think many of us hope that Dan Hurley's words about family and building a lasting program are/were more than mere words. No one begrudges anyone doing what is right for their family -- I'd just like hope that URI is part of his family as well.

But .. Dan Hurley might actually doing URI a huge favor. We all dream of having a national program that can get into the tournament every year, and not just get there, but make some noise. We want to be proud of our school and our program. That being said, in order for that to happen -- and not just be a once every 4-5-6 years, boom and bust program -- URI has to decide RIGHT NOW if it is going to do what it takes to rise up and stay up. If what is going on here is Hurley forcing URI to decide whether it is committed to that dream, and actually commit the resources to make that happen, that is a very good thing. Even if he leaves, this is a conversation that needs to happen. We are dedicated fans want this conversation to take place.

Bottom line: does URI share our dream -- and hopefully Dan Hurley's dream - on building a national lasting program or not. If they do, then open up the vault, and beg/borrow/steal to make it happen. The costs in lost revenues, exposure and pride of school in not doing this far exceed doing it -- we all know that to be true. Does URI?

I was in RI in January for a game, and before and afterwards in SK and Newport saw more talk, buzz, URI gear than I had ever seen before. What I saw and heard was pride in the school. Is URI prepared to let that slip away? Or, as the guy in Waterboy says, "Oh, no, we suck again!"

Next 24 hours are big. Hoping and praying.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:my source has just sent me a photo of Hurley signing his UConn deal

Looks like a tasty deal
Looks like a ham they show in those vintage recipie books. This thread is nuts. “Wait I’m getting a voicemail from this guy” :D :lol:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Beachcomber wrote:Been following all this with anticipation and dread. We've been down this road before, and it has not played out well. I think many of us hope that Dan Hurley's words about family and building a lasting program are/were more than mere words. No one begrudges anyone doing what is right for their family -- I'd just like hope that URI is part of his family as well.

But .. Dan Hurley might actually doing URI a huge favor. We all dream of having a national program that can get into the tournament every year, and not just get there, but make some noise. We want to be proud of our school and our program. That being said, in order for that to happen -- and not just be a once every 4-5-6 years, boom and bust program -- URI has to decide RIGHT NOW if it is going to do what it takes to rise up and stay up. If what is going on here is Hurley forcing URI to decide whether it is committed to that dream, and actually commit the resources to make that happen, that is a very good thing. Even if he leaves, this is a conversation that needs to happen. We are dedicated fans want this conversation to take place.

Bottom line: does URI share our dream -- and hopefully Dan Hurley's dream - on building a national lasting program or not. If they do, then open up the vault, and beg/borrow/steal to make it happen. The costs in lost revenues, exposure and pride of school in not doing this far exceed doing it -- we all know that to be true. Does URI?

I was in RI in January for a game, and before and afterwards in SK and Newport saw more talk, buzz, URI gear than I had ever seen before. What I saw and heard was pride in the school. Is URI prepared to let that slip away? Or, as the guy in Waterboy says, "Oh, no, we suck again!"

Next 24 hours are big. Hoping and praying.
Great post. All true. I said earlier that Dan holds the cards. Well now the ball is in URI's court.

The train is leaving the station. Does URI want to be on that train, or left behind?
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Something iv'e always wanted to know is there any reason a school like URI can't just take out a short term loan to cover a big contract for a coach. Then Possibly cover the short term loss with a combination of more debt and cutting other departments? I mean I'm not going to mention any but I strongly suspect most of us could agree on some fat could be cut from various areas to address the short term shortfall. Simply put, if Hurley keeps the basketball team performing like he has the past few years it's worth more then 3 mil a year to URI... Yet the school is able to, yet unwilling to pay it seems.

Yet I never see this done. Is there a political reason? not wanting to fight around with the unions? From a business perspective it makes plenty of sense to invest in your revenue producing areas and cutting ones that are a drain. Very likely it would even help the area's being cut in the medium-long term.

I mean, once again not trying to insult anyone. But I can't help but recall some ESPN article from around the Pitino scandal broke quoting a assistant professor of gender studies complaining about making "only 65k" while Pitino makes millions. Indeed I think the writer was perhaps being less then to sincere to the quoted person and likely using her complaint to IMO not so subtly illustrate the value of basketball coaches. Yet the truth is keeping Hurley and having a viable basketball program is probably more valuable to URI then any other asset it can invest in, much like Pitino was Louisville's biggest asset no matter how the academic faculty felt.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm guessing Dooley needs to get close to $2mil for Dan and a nice increase for the Assistants. Plus the amenities like flights. We already heard rumors of a dedicated practice facility being created from redesigned existing buildings. I think that is what it's going to take.

Also, looking at Spring 2018 stats for URI, we are at just under 15,000 undergrads. The school is growing.........
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

How much was Rutgers offering when he stayed?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyrudder wrote:How much was Rutgers offering when he stayed?
$3M
0 x