The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeteRI wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
PeteRI wrote:Talk about offensive -- there's a billboard on Post Road in North Kingstown that proclaims "Welcome to Friartown".
We're dying for money for real things that matter to keep our coach and people are still whining about friggen billboards.
Apparently you're in need of a geography lesson. North Kingstown is much closer to the URI campus than to PC.
Apparently you're in need of a lesson on what matters. I give a flying fuck why? They could put the biggest billboard the world has ever seen across the street from the Ryan Center and I wouldn't care so long as we keep Hurley. Them burning money on irrelevant garbage changes nothing for us.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Literally what everyone has been saying. It's on us.
which is why my confidence hasn't wavered. Dan, Thorr and Dooley have had similar visions for the program, especially Dan and Thorr. Their relationship and mutual goal is a huge asset.

the struggles/teeth pulling in getting budget are what they are. We wont be free from that until we tell the State Assembly where to stick it
Has less to do with state assembly and more with us. If everyone who posted on this board and went to a game this year gave at least $100 to the program - that solves your coaches pool/charter issue.

Money from the state comes with red tape. I'm not aware of any practice facility at a state school that was built with state funds. It's donors.

I hate the lack of state support for other reasons than athletics, but it's financial support from the fans that will drive anything and everything we try to do.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Literally what everyone has been saying. It's on us.
which is why my confidence hasn't wavered. Dan, Thorr and Dooley have had similar visions for the program, especially Dan and Thorr. Their relationship and mutual goal is a huge asset.

the struggles/teeth pulling in getting budget are what they are. We wont be free from that until we tell the State Assembly where to stick it
Has less to do with state assembly and more with us. If everyone who posted on this board and went to a game this year gave at least $100 to the program - that solves your coaches pool/charter issue.

Money from the state comes with red tape. I'm not aware of any practice facility at a state school that was built with state funds. It's donors.

I hate the lack of state support for other reasons than athletics, but it's financial support from the fans that will drive anything and everything we try to do.
true, but if the school was properly funded by the state it could use the non state revenues that are being used to support the school itself for other things like athletics. It's an issue that trickles down from the top to all aspects of the school.

they could do so much more if they weren't forced to use private revenue sources just to keep the heat on.

and more importantly if they didnt have to get the budgets approved by those idiots in the Assembly even though the state doesnt pay for it. that's the real bulls**t issue.

its like if you as an adult had to get approval from your parents on every dime you spend even though you are independent and its not their money.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Martyf250 »

Maybe we could borrow some "E-911" money!

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... e-911-fees
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

just got an email

Commit to URI Basketball, Reserve or Renew Your Season Tickets Today!

let's hope URI commits to OUR coach
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i emailed them back and ask for their commitment
3 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

ElmCityRhody wrote:just got an email

Got the same email... I'm on edge, jumping every time I hear a text or email coming in.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote:

true, but if the school was properly funded by the state it could use the non state revenues that are being used to support the school itself for other things like athletics. It's an issue that trickles down from the top to all aspects of the school.

they could do so much more if they weren't forced to use private revenue sources just to keep the heat on.

and more importantly if they didnt have to get the budgets approved by those idiots in the Assembly even though the state doesnt pay for it. that's the real bulls**t issue.

its like if you as an adult had to get approval from your parents on every dime you spend even though you are independent and its not their money.
agreed with all of that but I know how the back end works. You can fund base salaries to a degree with state funds. Everything else is privately funded - this is true of every other institution.

We've never had a program that inspired donors to give in the post-2000 college sports landscape.

The 98 run got the Ryan Center built - it was 1/3 donors, 1/3 state, 1/3 bonds to be repaid. None of that happens without the donors.

Practice facility plans would need to be at least 50% funded already by a Tom Ryan-esque donor who was willing to throw cash.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I think URI is in a very difficult spot here. If Hurley leaves, regardless of the reasons, they're going to be looked upon as the bad guy who isn't committed to winning. When in truth maybe Hurley just doesn't feel that winning in the A10 at the level that he wants to win at is sustainable.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamIt! wrote:
ElmCityRhody wrote:just got an email

Got the same email... I'm on edge, jumping every time I hear a text or email coming in.
Renew now. You only have to put down a 15% deposit and you get a $50 gift card.
Let’s show our support today every way we can.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Uconn message board is now copying and pasting our posts....

EFF THEM
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

bigappleram wrote:FWIW building a brand is something that matters to our coach - it was quoted he was intrigued by the Uconn brand. He has cited the Friartown campaign and what PC has done to build a brand. Roll up 95 in CT and in RI and let me know what you see. No its not about billboards, its about marketing the program beyond just ticket sales. That said bigger fish to fry right now, but these things speak to having a big time mentality versus small time. Did you notice VCU plastered on every bus in DC?
you build a brand by winning. period.

the more you win, the more youre seen and the more attention you get.

Duke, Carolina, Indiana, UCLA, Syracuse, Arizona, Kansas, Gonzaga, etc arent brands because they are on billboards or plastered on bus stops. They are brands because they win and are seen/covered more nationally.
I dont agree. Winning is the most important part, and a key cornerstone to an overall strategy. But you don't have a financially successful product merely by building a good product.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I have no desire to go on their or any other teams message board (unless we are playing them).
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
sandman012
Steve Chubin

ElmCityRhody wrote:Uconn message board is now copying and pasting our posts....

EFF THEM
this board is providing all the tension and conjecture one needs, why subject yourself to that?!

You are a masochist! :twisted:
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

sandman012 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:FWIW building a brand is something that matters to our coach - it was quoted he was intrigued by the Uconn brand. He has cited the Friartown campaign and what PC has done to build a brand. Roll up 95 in CT and in RI and let me know what you see. No its not about billboards, its about marketing the program beyond just ticket sales. That said bigger fish to fry right now, but these things speak to having a big time mentality versus small time. Did you notice VCU plastered on every bus in DC?

Duke, Carolina, Indiana, UCLA, Syracuse, Arizona, Kansas, Gonzaga, etc arent brands because they are on billboards or plastered on bus stops. They are brands because they win and are seen/covered more nationally.
I dont agree. Winning is the most important part, and a key cornerstone to an overall strategy. But you don't have a financially successful product merely by building a good product.
Thank you Sandman. Bose makes a superior headphone. But Beats by Dre has destroyed them in the marketplace, why is that? Marketing. The product actually sucks.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

EFF THEM
Why would you read their board? None of them are closer to the situation than anyone on here. As far as UConn views it - their offer is more money and more program investments than he could get at URI. Someone who values money turning that down would be SHOCKING. That's the source they're going on. They have a great offer out there that's worth more money than he makes here. That might make an offer "better" to a lot of people but that doesn't necessarily make it "better" to Dan.

Everyone nationally assumes the same thing; that coaches go where there's more money for their salary.

No one knows anything about what is being discussed at URI or UConn and most importantly, no one on either board knows how Dan feels about it. Sources that are "close to Dan" or speaking to people "close to Dan" are full of shit and just trying to get scoop credit.

Dan and his agent aren't going to say anything because then they'd lose leverage. Dan and Andrea will keep things between them because they should. Thorr and Dooley aren't going to tip anything out either.

You're not going to learn anything from their board. Honestly you probably aren't going to learn anything here either lol.

I've just got faith in the people making the decisions at URI for once in my life - and I've got faith in Dan as a person and coach that if we do everything we can (and he is well aware of what we can/cannot do) that he will stay.

Once again, if Dan leaves it's on us. He never would've sat down with Thorr/Dooley in the first place with a request he knows URI can't fill. It'd have been a quick meeting where he stumps for Dave Cox to be our next coach and then it'd be good byes to players/staff and it would leak by then.

The longer the silence the better I feel.
7 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

bigappleram wrote:
sandman012 wrote:

Thank you Sandman. Bose makes a superior headphone. But Beats by Dre has destroyed them in the marketplace, why is that? Marketing. The product actually sucks.
Ironically Bose also makes a subpar product for the price but their marketing is good enough that people think they're better than Beats. No highs, no lows, must be Bose.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:

EFF THEM
Why would you read their board? None of them are closer to the situation than anyone on here. As far as UConn views it - their offer is more money and more program investments than he could get at URI. Someone who values money turning that down would be SHOCKING. That's the source they're going on. They have a great offer out there that's worth more money than he makes here. That might make an offer "better" to a lot of people but that doesn't necessarily make it "better" to Dan.

Everyone nationally assumes the same thing; that coaches go where there's more money for their salary.

No one knows anything about what is being discussed at URI or UConn and most importantly, no one on either board knows how Dan feels about it. Sources that are "close to Dan" or speaking to people "close to Dan" are full of shit and just trying to get scoop credit.

Dan and his agent aren't going to say anything because then they'd lose leverage. Dan and Andrea will keep things between them because they should. Thorr and Dooley aren't going to tip anything out either.

You're not going to learn anything from their board. Honestly you probably aren't going to learn anything here either lol.

I've just got faith in the people making the decisions at URI for once in my life - and I've got faith in Dan as a person and coach that if we do everything we can (and he is well aware of what we can/cannot do) that he will stay.

Once again, if Dan leaves it's on us. He never would've sat down with Thorr/Dooley in the first place with a request he knows URI can't fill. It'd have been a quick meeting where he stumps for Dave Cox to be our next coach and then it'd be good byes to players/staff and it would leak by then.

The longer the silence the better I feel.
yup, the longer it goes, the better I feel. A no would've been quick...a staying is longer because there's details to hash out
0 x
---
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I agree with Blue Man on this, that I have more faith in Thorr and Dooley to do everything they can and be creative in keeping Dan. I'm not saying it will happen and we may still lose DH to UConn, but it won't be due to an inept administration (like it was with Penders, Skinner, and Harrick). If it's possible to get done, it will get done. If not, then while it will be a step back, I trust they will also hire the right next guy, and like TP had said, we then make sure we keep building so that next guy is more apt to stick around, and so on. While we want DH to be the next Mark Few type guy, I think we'll all be more than happy if it works out that the next guy is. But man, I would love to see what DH can do with the roster over the next 2 years!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Guys, guys let's not go crazy here...

You want a good pair of headphones, you gotta go for Sennheisers.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

UConn is trying to copy and paste our coach. Damn the posts! Or cut. Cut and paste.

Maybe URI is trying to rope in the season tickets today before any news breaks. I got the same email.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

for full context here my buddy went to UConn and is a huge fan (been to final fours and to arizona fiesta bowl, etc).. and sent me the link and busting stones how Uconn is mocking the KB website cas he knows I posts here (as he does on their message board)

I think history shows i don't think i have really ever posted about other teams message boards
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I know this is going to make me sound really naïve, but just about everyone here is more knowledgeable than me on this coaching situation so please enlighten me...What is it that keeps Martelli in Philly and McKillop at Davidson. Why do their names never come up as coaching candidates and how do we get to that point?
4 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

If this were Carothers (demon rum, begone!) and Petro, I'd be in the nearest bar right now. But if there's a way to get this done, I have faith that Thorr and Dooley will get it done.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:I know this is going to make me sound really naïve, but just about everyone here is more knowledgeable than me on this coaching situation so please enlighten me...What is it that keeps Martelli in Philly and McKillop at Davidson. Why do their names never come up as coaching candidates and how do we get to that point?
Great question. Both have had remarkable seasons and multiple rebuilding eras.
1 x
GO RAMS
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

steviep123 wrote:I have no desire to go on their or any other teams message board (unless we are playing them).
I don't know, Cincinnati's message board after their collapse has been gold.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

scine20 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:I have no desire to go on their or any other teams message board (unless we are playing them).
Oh for sure - board melt downs are what makes the internet great. I'm sure based on some of the characters on here, myself included, we've provided entertainment for years.

I just meant why would you read their board for info on our coach?
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Sup secretly spying UCONN and PC fans we know you're here. 254 guests are viewing.
2 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Puck Frovidence wrote:Guys, guys let's not go crazy here...

You want a good pair of headphones, you gotta go for Sennheisers.
Finally somebody is saying what needs to be said!
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Reading the boneyard thread is fascinating. it isn't really all the different then the thread here.. half the board up in arms with the other half the board saying chill.

UConn created the mess they find themselves in with the AAC versus ACC when they tried to stop the Big East football schools from going to the ACC. If UConn had played nice and waited, it probably would be in the ACC and I don't think it would even be a debate (unfortunately) if Dan should take the opportunity.
2 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Blue Man wrote:
scine20 wrote:
Oh for sure - board melt downs are what makes the internet great. I'm sure based on some of the characters on here, myself included, we've provided entertainment for years.
I don't even really follow college football that closely, but I always make time to read a segment on sbnation.com called "This Week in Schadenfreude" that highlights the most ridiculous board meltdowns during college football season. Some extremely high comedy there.
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

urirx wrote:Reading the boneyard thread is fascinating. it isn't really all the different then the thread here.. half the board up in arms with the other half the board saying chill.

UConn created the mess they find themselves in with the AAC versus ACC when they tried to stop the Big East football schools from going to the ACC. If UConn had played nice and waited, it probably would be in the ACC and I don't think it would even be a debate (unfortunately) if Dan should take the opportunity.
This is just the narrative that has unfolded over the years but I don't buy it. The ACC was never taking BC and UConn and they were never taking UConn over BC. And the schools that came later like Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville offer more, too. What does UConn offer when you have a BC/Cuse/Pitt group of teams? Football rules the world and UConn, even with a nice few years in there are just not at that level. It sounds great but they just were never in a position to grab an ACC or even Big12 WVU-type invite. Their high water mark will be the AAC or going back into the Big East and dropping football down. I guarantee that if UConn had more to offer, they would be in the ACC, whether they had once sued BC or not.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Sup secretly spying UCONN and PC fans we know you're here. 254 guests are viewing.
I haven't thought about this from a PC fans perspective as to which they'd prefer. On one hand, if Hurley goes to UCONN, they will become a major threat to PC on the recruiting front, especially in the Northeast, and if he stays at URI and continues to build the program, the even shrinking gap between URI & PC becomes that much closer. If I'm a PC fan, I'd be pulling for Hurley to stay put at URI.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Their football team is like a for-profit school popping up in the last 15 years.

Cuse has jim Brown. BC Doug Flutie. Pitt Dan Marino.

Foolish for them to try to get up to speed in a blink of an eye.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

Shinze88 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Sup secretly spying UCONN and PC fans we know you're here. 254 guests are viewing.
I haven't thought about this from a PC fans perspective as to which they'd prefer. On one hand, if Hurley goes to UCONN, they will become a major threat to PC on the recruiting front, especially in the Northeast, and if he stays at URI and continues to build the program, the even shrinking gap between URI & PC becomes that much closer. If I'm a PC fan, I'd be pulling for Hurley to stay put at URI.
Looking at their board, they say the best possible outcome is to spurn both UConn and Rhody and to go to Pitt (least likely to happen though).

Seems like consensus over there is still split, with maybe more leaning they want Hurley to stay at URI so they can watch the show on the BoneYard (UConn's board) after Hurley stays at URI. LOL, actually a good take from someone over there.
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Their football team is like a for-profit school popping up in the last 15 years.

Don't forget the fact that in 2010 when they won the Big East by default (despite 4 losses) and played Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. I remember reading at the time that their fan turnout was the worst ever for a BCS Bowl game.

That right there is enough to tell you that they're not ready (or worthy) for the big time in football. Not that anyone thought they were.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Their football team is like a for-profit school popping up in the last 15 years.

But, but...they do have Johnny McEntee...right? (the video is actually kinda cool)

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... -assistant

Regardless of how things turn out...should make for some good crowd chants when Rhody heads up to The Rent for their season opener in September...?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

mstyles22 wrote:

Don't forget the fact that in 2010 when they won the Big East by default (despite 4 losses) and played Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. I remember reading at the time that their fan turnout was the worst ever for a BCS Bowl game.

That right there is enough to tell you that they're not ready (or worthy) for the big time in football. Not that anyone thought they were.
A close friend of mine, a UConn Fbook season ticket holder, got free tix to the URI game in Sept. and offered to me. Looks like they’re giving them away.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

even more recently, despite being down, they've had guys like

Cuse: Freeney, McNabb, Marvin Harrison
Pitt: Fitzgerald, McCoy, Revis
BC: Kuechly, Ryan, Raji
0 x
---
---
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:They should sell seats to this meeting. 100k right there.

This is where we need ourselves Carrie Mathison
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

FWIW, I just received a text saying Hurley is staying at URI
9 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Bigsnoop wrote:FWIW, I just received a text saying Hurley is staying at URI
Snoop, you're one of the Friar fans I like, but so help me if you're wrong Im burning down Alumni Hall
17 x
---
---
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

From who?
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

FWIW, I got an email from a Nigerian prince saying he has money he'd like to give to me. :lol: :lol: I'm just teasing.
7 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Snoop, I like your posts. But if you're wrong, what am I gonna do with this half husker I just sprouted?
3 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Rhody1992 wrote:
FWIW, I got an email from a Nigerian prince saying he has money he'd like to give to me. :lol: :lol: I'm just teasing.
how much? you taking it right?
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

mstyles22 wrote:
Snoop, I like your posts. But if you're wrong, what am I gonna do with this half husker I just sprouted?
wait 4 hours then seek medical attention?
5 x
---
---
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

sandman012 wrote:
Rhody1992 wrote:
how much? you taking it right?
He told me $3 million / yr for 4 years. Nice practice facility too. :lol: :lol:
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Even in the 50/50 chance he’s right, I highly doubt a guy named bigsnoop would have the scoop before ESPN, Zags or the likes unless he resides at Hurley’s address or lives beneath Thorr’s office desk.
5 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

DC_Rams wrote:Even in the 50/50 chance he’s right, I highly doubt a guy named bigsnoop would have the scoop before ESPN, Zags or the likes unless he resides at Hurley’s address or lives beneath Thorr’s office desk.
BigSnoop doesn't have to cross check his sources. He is free to post here 3 mins after he got the "text". I am ready to believe BigSnoop!
5 x