The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

At the risk of being verbally assaulted, I sincerely believe today's meeting is merely a formality and for both Thorr and Dan to save face so to speak and part amicably. Dan needed Pitt to jump in the mix to be that second team as agent Scott Boras always likes to have in his pocket. Dan gets more from UCONN with Pitt wanting his services than just URI. Thorr knows his limitations and cannot begin to match offers. I assure you he was ready for this and has a short list of potential candidates. Knowing his track record, unfortunately, I don't think there are any other assistant coaches on the list except for Cox; even though from the big picture Antonio and Preston are equally qualified and are alumni and former players. The first choice would be Oates at Buffalo but I don't think he would come. Another good year there and he gets a job similar to what Bobby got at ASU. Look for coaches like Toole at Robert Morris and other NEC or even a couple of younger MAAC coaches to be in the mix. Thorr knows this process has worked for him in the past and could work again in the future. His inability to retain Dan should not be on his shoulders. We are a small state school, small doner base, no football income and the conference does not have a lucrative television contract. While the immediate goal is to retain Dan, the next goal in sight should be to get into the top three in funding for basketball programs in the conference. This is a forum where opinions should be freely expressed, but I am expecting the bombs to come my way.
1 x
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Look, I love URI basketball and hope Hurley stays, but they've been marching for an important issue like not getting shot in the head for going to school.
Please don't take me so literally. I'm just saying rally in support of our coach. Social media makes it easy for groups to gather and I'm sure coach would be flattered by it. Anything helps in my opinion.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:At the risk of being verbally assaulted, I sincerely believe today's meeting is merely a formality and for both Thorr and Dan to save face so to speak and part amicably. Dan needed Pitt to jump in the mix to be that second team as agent Scott Boras always likes to have in his pocket. Dan gets more from UCONN with Pitt wanting his services than just URI. Thorr knows his limitations and cannot begin to match offers. I assure you he was ready for this and has a short list of potential candidates. Knowing his track record, unfortunately, I don't think there are any other assistant coaches on the list except for Cox; even though from the big picture Antonio and Preston are equally qualified and are alumni and former players. The first choice would be Oates at Buffalo but I don't think he would come. Another good year there and he gets a job similar to what Bobby got at ASU. Look for coaches like Toole at Robert Morris and other NEC or even a couple of younger MAAC coaches to be in the mix. Thorr knows this process has worked for him in the past and could work again in the future. His inability to retain Dan should not be on his shoulders. We are a small state school, small doner base, no football income and the conference does not have a lucrative television contract. While the immediate goal is to retain Dan, the next goal in sight should be to get into the top three in funding for basketball programs in the conference. This is a forum where opinions should be freely expressed, but I am expecting the bombs to come my way.
so its just a coincidence that this exact hot take was made on the PC boards....right?
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
I agree with you that hiring the next coach is critical for a program to sustain success (Xavier, VCU as examples) but my larger point is that if we can't meet what Dan needs now, eventually the next hire we make will want that, and then leave. Very rarely do you get a Xavier thing to happen where you absolutely nail 3 coaches in a row. If we hire the next coach with a ceiling on our investments, we're just counting down to when that coach leaves in a few years.

I don't think anyone is overstating the importance of today. It's a watershed moment for this program. We are either a big time program or a stepping-stone. Today will tell what that is going to be.
I get that, but if we're aren't able to do exactly what Dan asks for today (and I admit I don't know with any degree of specificity what that is, although I think we all have an idea), that doesn't foreclose our being able to do something similar in two years. It also doesn't account for the fact that doing 95% of it might not be enough to keep Dan, but it could still allow the program to keep improving. I guess my point is that I don't see it as black and white that if Dan decides that he wants more right now than URI can give him, that's Dan's decision but I'm not going to turn on Thorr and Dr. Dooley unless it comes out that they told him to go pound sand, refused to make any commitments to upgrading the program and offer a job to a retread coach for $450K. I just don't see that as being very likely.

And just to repeat myself: I absolutely want and expect our university and athletic department to empty their pockets and tap every source of support they can think of, smash their piggy banks, turn their couches inside out trying to meet what Hurley is asking for. He is priority 1A with a bullet, and there should be nothing left on the table in trying to retain his services. I'm just saying, if all that fails, I'm not going to get my Eyore on with the "same old URI, woe is us" thing or the self-flagellating thing. If it's not enough for Hurley today, it doesn't mean it isn't enough for some other up and coming coach to keep URI at or near the top of the A10, in the tournament and a good matchup away from the second weekend.
And in a cruel bit of irony, the $1.5 million we would get if Dan left could very well be used for upgrades we couldn't afford without him leaving.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:At the risk of being verbally assaulted, I sincerely believe today's meeting is merely a formality and for both Thorr and Dan to save face so to speak and part amicably. Dan needed Pitt to jump in the mix to be that second team as agent Scott Boras always likes to have in his pocket. Dan gets more from UCONN with Pitt wanting his services than just URI. Thorr knows his limitations and cannot begin to match offers. I assure you he was ready for this and has a short list of potential candidates. Knowing his track record, unfortunately, I don't think there are any other assistant coaches on the list except for Cox; even though from the big picture Antonio and Preston are equally qualified and are alumni and former players. The first choice would be Oates at Buffalo but I don't think he would come. Another good year there and he gets a job similar to what Bobby got at ASU. Look for coaches like Toole at Robert Morris and other NEC or even a couple of younger MAAC coaches to be in the mix. Thorr knows this process has worked for him in the past and could work again in the future. His inability to retain Dan should not be on his shoulders. We are a small state school, small doner base, no football income and the conference does not have a lucrative television contract. While the immediate goal is to retain Dan, the next goal in sight should be to get into the top three in funding for basketball programs in the conference. This is a forum where opinions should be freely expressed, but I am expecting the bombs to come my way.
Your comment was sort of reasonable until the "small state school, small donor base..."

Wrong. We aren't either of those things. Including grad students we're close to 20k. We're the 4th biggest school in our conference. I'm so tired of this woe is us we're just a poor little small state school. Just because we're in a small state doesn't make that true. Our state doesn't support us for shit with a budget, so all of the money to do anything we can take pride in as an athletic endeavor has to come from donors and athletic revenues.

VCU and UMass are both state institutions that have practice facilities. It can be done here.

But again, you really don't know Dan Hurley or his family if you think he is walking into URI having already signed a deal with another school.

Once again, no one knows anything but 3 people right now. I am not one of them, I am not talking to one of them right now - I just know Dan well enough to know what his word means - publicly or privately. Maybe I'm wrong and we'll find out. I still think he's a Ram at days end.
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I see some clown updated our wiki page to change our head coach to vacant. Somebody want to update that?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Just looked it up out of curiousity.. UConn get 30% of their budget from the state, UMass gets 17%, URI gets 9%.

Beyond athletics that will always hold the school back unfortunately.
3 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

ESPN's Jeff Goodman says "I’d be surprised if Danny Hurley isn’t the next coach at UConn."

Here is the question asked and Goodman's response:

PSN– It appears to be a battle between Pitt and UConn for Danny Hurley. Is UConn his likely choice?

Jeff Goodman- “Yes, I think that’s safe to say. I don’t know that 100% but from everyone I’ve talked to close to Hurley the only thing that would stand in the way is money from him not taking the UConn job. If Pitt offers $3 million and UConn only offers $2 million, that’s a significant difference but if UConn can close the gap and get closer to Pittsburgh, I’d be surprised if Danny Hurley isn’t the next coach at UConn.”

Link to full interview below:
http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/03/ ... ng-search/
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

rhodysurf wrote:Just looked it up out of curiousity.. UConn get 30% of their budget from the state, UMass gets 17%, URI gets 9%.

Beyond athletics that will always hold the school back unfortunately.
And that, kids, is why Providence College (and all the other private schools that have historically populated the state legislature) can go fuck itself.
7 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I'm in total agreement with BM here. I don't believe it is an overstatement to deem this a watershed moment in the history of this program. Satisfy Dan's needs and keep the trajectory of the program onward and upward. If Dan leaves, not only do we run into the same issue with the next good coach that outgrows us, but we also lose a major recruiting selling point.

I've read everything on this board over the last week or so without commenting. I am not in the know. I don't know if those that take Dan at his word are right. I don't know if the Connecticut press is right. I don't know Ace or Dre or their sources. Personally, since I go back and forth with every new post, I've just chosen not to believe anything.

One thing I am pretty confident about is that guys like Fatts and Jeff are here because of promises Dan made regarding the direction of the program and the University's commitment to the program. It would be difficult for me to believe that Fatts came here if Dan didn't lead him to believe he would be here for more than one year (My guess is whether or not it is true today, it was what Dan believed when he recruited Fatts). I'm sure the same goes for Harris, Tate, Adams, etc.

Now if Dan leaves that is a sure signal to these recruits and to the next coaches recruits that the program has reached capacity. Every few years we will make our run, but then the coach will leave and we will take a step back. If I'm a highly recruited player, I don't want to deal with that every year or two.

I think Dan has been a great for this program, but I don't think he is the end all be all of coaches. I do however believe he is the most important coach out there for this University. I hope we can get it done...
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Jim Shorts song to DH on 94HJY was legit. Dan stays.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Blue Man wrote:
Your comment was sort of reasonable until the "small state school, small donor base..."

Wrong. We aren't either of those things. Including grad students we're close to 20k. We're the 4th biggest school in our conference. I'm so tired of this woe is us we're just a poor little small state school. Just because we're in a small state doesn't make that true. Our state doesn't support us for shit with a budget, so all of the money to do anything we can take pride in as an athletic endeavor has to come from donors and athletic revenues.

VCU and UMass are both state institutions that have practice facilities. It can be done here.

But again, you really don't know Dan Hurley or his family if you think he is walking into URI having already signed a deal with another school.

Once again, no one knows anything but 3 people right now. I am not one of them, I am not talking to one of them right now - I just know Dan well enough to know what his word means - publicly or privately. Maybe I'm wrong and we'll find out. I still think he's a Ram at days end.
Practice facilities almost exclusively are funded through donations, usually started with a huge check from someone. It's not coming from tournament credits or anything like that. This isn't going to happen at a moment like this unless a heavy hitter steps to the plate.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

What if he just wants more billboards on 95?
5 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Gonebarongone wrote:Practice facilities almost exclusively are funded through donations, usually started with a huge check from someone. It's not coming from tournament credits or anything like that. This isn't going to happen at a moment like this unless a heavy hitter steps to the plate.
Oh shit so you're saying Rob Levine is the one for us?
5 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Puck Frovidence wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:Practice facilities almost exclusively are funded through donations, usually started with a huge check from someone. It's not coming from tournament credits or anything like that. This isn't going to happen at a moment like this unless a heavy hitter steps to the plate.
Oh shit so you're saying Rob Levine is the one for us?
A+
0 x
Clapton is God
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Not to rely solely on one family, but whats the deal with the Ryan family and their contribution to Hurley?
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BleedBlue87 wrote:When Dree3000 says he is hearing from people in the know, he is literally going to the UConn message board and pasting what they have been saying. That $3 mill comes from some anonymous source on their forum. Bunch of bullshit.
I do not think that at all
Dre has had information in the past that nobody else here had. In recruiting, regarding coaches, regarding the issue at the Migos concert prior to the season, many times I can recall
Dre is a knowledgeable poster with solid sources
I don't like hearing what he is saying right now but that's the way it may end up being

Biggest fear I have is that $36 million practice facility that they have

and unfortunately many here did not even think we should have one - not good when your most ardent supporting fans are sort of luke warm on the type of upgraded facilities that the Head Coach likes - and not so much for himself but he wants the best for his players. To stay with the upper level of the conference we will need facilities like UCONN, UMASS, PC, VCU, Dayton, etc have

Listen to all the posters - not just those who reflect your opinion. Reading between the lines for some posters I have great respect for here............
and some things I heard in DC

I said in Jim Baron 2.0 many times and said all along this year to enjoy the ride..........

hoping and praying
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I wonder if Michael Fascitelli is at all involved with the program? URI alum who according to his wiki has a stake in the Milwaukee Bucks so must be a basketball fan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_D._Fascitelli

https://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/12/ce ... _AO5V.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/new ... aving.html

Fascitelli is expected to play a major role in planning for the Bucks-led arena project in downtown Milwaukee, though he is not apparently a billionaire like at least two of the other three owners Marc Lasry and Jamie Dinan. Fascitelli, a former CEO of Vornado Realty Trust, has a net worth estimated at $700 million. Co-owner Wes Edens has been listed as a billionaire in the past but more recently his net worth has been estimated at slightly less than $1 billion.

Fascitelli, 57, has been involved in the Bucks ownership group since before Dinan was announced as a "substantial owner" in mid-October, Bucks president Peter Feigin told the Milwaukee Business Journal. Lasry and Edens were introduced as majority co-owners in April.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Am I the only one refreshing this page every 10 seconds?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody1992 wrote:ESPN's Jeff Goodman says "I’d be surprised if Danny Hurley isn’t the next coach at UConn."

Here is the question asked and Goodman's response:

PSN– It appears to be a battle between Pitt and UConn for Danny Hurley. Is UConn his likely choice?

Jeff Goodman- “Yes, I think that’s safe to say. I don’t know that 100% but from everyone I’ve talked to close to Hurley the only thing that would stand in the way is money from him not taking the UConn job. If Pitt offers $3 million and UConn only offers $2 million, that’s a significant difference but if UConn can close the gap and get closer to Pittsburgh, I’d be surprised if Danny Hurley isn’t the next coach at UConn.”

Link to full interview below:
http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/03/ ... ng-search/
That most certainly sounds like the Dan Hurley I know. Very credible source. Negotiating his salary. From a month ago.. :40 seconds in...

1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
gorhody89
ARD

scine20 wrote:Am I the only one refreshing this page every 10 seconds?
Hahaha you're not alone. Very unproductive day at the office
3 x
Clapton is God
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

ramster wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote: Biggest fear I have is that $36 million practice facility that they have
So UCONN opens up a new $36 million practice facility in 2014 and since that facility opened they've proceeded to skyrocket their program to an incredible conference record of 37-35 and an overall record of 75-61, finishing an average of 6th place in the AAC ?

Sounds to me like they should be practicing more
5 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

gorhody89 wrote:
Yup. we should all just meet at a bar and drink while refreshing our computers, then drink more to celebrate or bereave
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Shinze88 wrote:
ramster wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote: Biggest fear I have is that $36 million practice facility that they have
So UCONN opens up a new $36 million practice facility in 2014 and since that facility opened they've proceeded to skyrocket their program to an incredible conference record of 37-35 and an overall record of 75-61, finishing an average of 6th place in the AAC ?

Sounds to me like they should be practicing more
Probably finding it tough to get practice time...with another, better, team already on campus?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Their recruiting has really fallen off as well - whereas they had zero 4 or 5 star recruits in the last 2 cycles. All being blamed on Ollie though.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

March is in a lot of ways the best time of the year as a college hoops fan or just sports fan in general. But man I am starting to understand it can be the worst time as a passionate fan as well. All our refresh buttons will worn out and years of our lives taken with all this stress haha. Boy I can't wait for summer and have all this in the rearview. Can't take many more days like these just wondering and emotions going back and forth.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Boy did I pick a week to have cataract surgery. :shock:
1 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

gorhody89 wrote:
I think there are more users browsing the forum right now than attended the CBI game against Central Florida.
3 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I just setup a recurring monthly donation!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:What if he just wants more billboards on 95?
There are billboards on 95?
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Talk about offensive -- there's a billboard on Post Road in North Kingstown that proclaims "Welcome to Friartown".
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How much can UConn pay DH definetly less than 3M per year

He should stay at URI he will get a much better job than UConn if he stays here for 2 more years
1 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

reef wrote:How much can UConn pay DH definetly less than 3M per year

He should stay at URI he will get a much better job than UConn if he stays here for 2 more years
this is what I have been saying all along since the talk of Uconn came up. I just can't do the math on the benefits of taking the Uconn job. Can't believe no one in the national media is bringing this up. I thought it was along people from CT who thought Uconn is the be-all-end-all. Maybe I just don't really get it, totally possible.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Literally what everyone has been saying. It's on us.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And DH gets all of the above as well, which is why he is at the negotiating table with our administration. But loyalty, desire and ambition is a two way street.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:
URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Literally what everyone has been saying. It's on us.
which is why my confidence hasn't wavered. Dan, Thorr and Dooley have had similar visions for the program, especially Dan and Thorr. Their relationship and mutual goal is a huge asset.

the struggles/teeth pulling in getting budget are what they are. We wont be free from that until we tell the State Assembly where to stick it
1 x
---
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote:Talk about offensive -- there's a billboard on Post Road in North Kingstown that proclaims "Welcome to Friartown".
We're dying for money for real things that matter to keep our coach and people are still whining about friggen billboards.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

They should sell seats to this meeting. 100k right there.
3 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I’m going crazy for some news!!!!
Something has to give already!!!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

FWIW building a brand is something that matters to our coach - it was quoted he was intrigued by the Uconn brand. He has cited the Friartown campaign and what PC has done to build a brand. Roll up 95 in CT and in RI and let me know what you see. No its not about billboards, its about marketing the program beyond just ticket sales. That said bigger fish to fry right now, but these things speak to having a big time mentality versus small time. Did you notice VCU plastered on every bus in DC?
2 x
gorhody89
ARD

The longer it takes for the news to come out is good news for us in my opinion.
1 x
Clapton is God
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

After 6 years, I think Hurley knows exactly what Bjorn and Dooley can (and can't) offer.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote:FWIW building a brand is something that matters to our coach - it was quoted he was intrigued by the Uconn brand. He has cited the Friartown campaign and what PC has done to build a brand. Roll up 95 in CT and in RI and let me know what you see. No its not about billboards, its about marketing the program beyond just ticket sales. That said bigger fish to fry right now, but these things speak to having a big time mentality versus small time. Did you notice VCU plastered on every bus in DC?
you build a brand by winning. period.

the more you win, the more youre seen and the more attention you get.

Duke, Carolina, Indiana, UCLA, Syracuse, Arizona, Kansas, Gonzaga, etc arent brands because they are on billboards or plastered on bus stops. They are brands because they win and are seen/covered more nationally.
3 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Kind of curious about the sourcing for this - not whether it is legit or not, but more like what is the intention of this messaging? Seems like they are setting up to undercut the university - e.g., if Dan ends up at UConn, it isn't because they couldn't come to an agreement, it is because URI refused to give Dan what he wants. Without any sort of color around what that actually is, seems like it is a setup to make the university look like they balked and effectively ran him off if he doesn't return. I think there is a lot of middle ground between "met his demands" and "decided not to invest in the program," and where they end up on that continuum is ultimately what will matter to me in how I view our administration.
URIRecruitingInfo wrote:After 6 years, I think Hurley knows exactly what Bjorn and Dooley can (and can't) offer.
This is kind of exactly my point. I think he has a pretty good idea of what we are going to be able to offer here, so what is intent behind the messaging in Kayata's tweet?
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
PeteRI wrote:Talk about offensive -- there's a billboard on Post Road in North Kingstown that proclaims "Welcome to Friartown".
We're dying for money for real things that matter to keep our coach and people are still whining about friggen billboards.
Apparently you're in need of a geography lesson. North Kingstown is much closer to the URI campus than to PC.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:FWIW building a brand is something that matters to our coach - it was quoted he was intrigued by the Uconn brand. He has cited the Friartown campaign and what PC has done to build a brand. Roll up 95 in CT and in RI and let me know what you see. No its not about billboards, its about marketing the program beyond just ticket sales. That said bigger fish to fry right now, but these things speak to having a big time mentality versus small time. Did you notice VCU plastered on every bus in DC?
Building a brand has nothing to do with billboards and bus ads. It's garbage marketing people love to throw money at because they can say "see we're doing something" and no one can prove just how low the return on investment is. University of Maine has stuff plastered on buses and billboards, how's their brand in Rhode Island? They have no brand here. Do you have any idea how much advertising we see everyday that we automatically tune out? You just notice the PC stuff because you choose to see it.

You want to build a brand? Don't worry about burning money we don't have on ads with no return on investment. Spend the money on generating a winning basketball team. How's our brand the last 13 months? Highest it's been in two decades at least.
3 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Some reporters just look at the money, school history, Calhoun influence. They don’t see loyalty, dedication, honesty and family. I have hated the huskies since the early sixties. I have known their boorish fans for just as long. They don’t deserve our coach because they can’t see beyond the dollar. Dan will make the right decision!
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Kind of curious about the sourcing for this - not whether it is legit or not, but more like what is the intention of this messaging? Seems like they are setting up to undercut the university - e.g., if Dan ends up at UConn, it isn't because they couldn't come to an agreement, it is because URI refused to give Dan what he wants. Without any sort of color around what that actually is, seems like it is a setup to make the university look like they balked and effectively ran him off if he doesn't return. I think there is a lot of middle ground between "met his demands" and "decided not to invest in the program," and where they end up on that continuum is ultimately what will matter to me in how I view our administration.
URIRecruitingInfo wrote:After 6 years, I think Hurley knows exactly what Bjorn and Dooley can (and can't) offer.
This is kind of exactly my point. I think he has a pretty good idea of what we are going to be able to offer here, so what is intent behind the messaging in Kayata's tweet?
Agreed. Sounds like the stuff that comes out of that camp. Hopefully it is just posturing.
0 x