The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by steviep123 »

bigappleram wrote:Agree with BM if he leaves it’s an indictment on our commitment not his values. He has been a man of his word here since Day 1. To me it’s simple math, what is the revenue loss if he leaves, losing recruits and having to rebuild, resulting in an immediate attendance dip and low probability for NCAA tourney appearances over next 1-3 years. That number, even with conservative estimates, would seem to dwarf what it takes to keep him here. He has given the school the opportunity to see the big picture and put a fair value on it. I hope they do.
+1
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RamIt! wrote:Per Kayata Tweet: Per source: Dan Hurley is willing to take less $ to stay at URI if the school is committed to moving the program forward. #URI @RhodyMBB
.......sounds a treat time to announce the facility enhancements......along with he is staying.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

bigappleram wrote:Agree with BM if he leaves it’s an indictment on our commitment not his values. He has been a man of his word here since Day 1. To me it’s simple math, what is the revenue loss if he leaves, losing recruits and having to rebuild, resulting in an immediate attendance dip and low probability for NCAA tourney appearances over next 1-3 years. That number, even with conservative estimates, would seem to dwarf what it takes to keep him here. He has given the school the opportunity to see the big picture and put a fair value on it. I hope they do.
agree, this is what I mean when I say URI can't afford to not keep DH.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Then there’s this

Let’s hope that if Hurley spurns UConn that it settles things for this season at least.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

time for URI to step it up and invest in hurley and the basketball program even more.

this is a pivotal day.

program enhancements are an investment and will go a long way in sustaining the program's success.

i for one want this spearheaded by hurley - he has proven to be a solid coach and person and represents the university very well

failure on this day and we take a big step backwards.

succeed on this day and we will have sustained and more profitable success for hoops and the university overall

THINK BIG, WE DO
7 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I agree with the recent news that the money is secondary to the overall success and program enhancements. If I were in his shoes, I'd think the same way.
3 x
GO RAMS
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

You could argue that this is the biggest day in URI hopes ever. Why? Because the program is on the verge of really becoming at least a regional power. They've obviously tasted success but they have a recruiting class that can bring them to a point where the school becomes a legit force. If Hurley leaves then so do probably many people in the recruiting class and maybe even some of the mainstays on the roster now. And Rhode Island almost goes back to where they were 5 or 6 years ago.

If he leaves in, say, 2 years, or even next year, when most of these guys will have had at least a year at the school, making them less likely to leave, the loss would be easier to handle.

Obviously Hurley's had other chances to leave. But the program hasn't been at the point that it's at now at any of these points. Last year the recruiting class wasn't in. And before that the program hadn't had the success anyways so had he left the loss wouldn't have been nearly as devastating.
Last edited by scine20 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Come on URI...think big as you say. Prove it here!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RamIt! wrote:Per Kayata Tweet: Per source: Dan Hurley is willing to take less $ to stay at URI if the school is committed to moving the program forward. #URI @RhodyMBB
Please be true.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Anything that is being reported now is only for A. to maintain leverage or B. to maintain appearance. No one knows a bleeping thing. These guys (reporters) trade access for occasionally being a mouthpiece. Is Hurley trying to strong arm Rhody for cash, facilities, staff comp, etc. or has he pretty much made up his mind and wants a graceful exit even if he genuinely is giving URI one more shot? I mean...I will keep refreshing this and twitter but reading the tea leaves is a sucker's play.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I have similar but slightly different take here. I think if there is a solution here from a URI perspective, I trust Thorr and Dr. Dooley to find it. I'm not necessarily saying that if they fail to reach a deal that it is Dan's fault, either, but I'm not sure I'm ready to say it's an indictment of our commitment. Keeping Dan is priority #1 and if there is a way to do it, we should do it. If there isn't, the commitment can continue by hiring a new coach at a competitive salary that can build on Dan's success, continue investing in program infrastructure, etc., then then I think there is still a bright future for the program - in large part based on what Dan has started.

I'm hopeful for a solution here that allows Dan to get what he feels he needs here, but I'm not ready to get the knives out for the people who will be responsible for plotting our next moves without clear evidence that this was doable and they failed to do it. I think they will need our support and I'll be ready to give it to them unless it's proven they don't deserve it.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
I have similar but slightly different take here. I think if there is a solution here from a URI perspective, I trust Thorr and Dr. Dooley to find it. I'm not necessarily saying that if they fail to reach a deal that it is Dan's fault, either, but I'm not sure I'm ready to say it's an indictment of our commitment. Keeping Dan is priority #1 and if there is a way to do it, we should do it. If there isn't, the commitment can continue by hiring a new coach at a competitive salary that can build on Dan's success, continue investing in program infrastructure, etc., then then I think there is still a bright future for the program - in large part based on what Dan has started.

I'm hopeful for a solution here that allows Dan to get what he feels he needs here, but I'm not ready to get the knives out for the people who will be responsible for plotting our next moves without clear evidence that this was doable and they failed to do it. I think they will need our support and I'll be ready to give it to them unless it's proven they don't deserve it.
A+ post TP. I agree that with Thorr and Dooley we are more prepared than in the past to find a solution to keep Dan, if there is one to be found. I will trust that regardless of the outcome, Thorr and Dooley did everything they possibly could and left no stone un-turned. If that's not enough, then I trust they will make another fantastic hire and keep the program moving in a forward direction.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Right. There is an outcome here where we simply don't have the money to invest the way Hurley deems necessary. It doesn't make Hurley a bad guy if he then decides to go somewhere that can invest more and it doesn't mean Thorr and Dooley are incompetent.
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Nothing really new here, but it is relevant...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... gh-choice/
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i think we are pretty close on knowing what the solution is (practice facility/charter flights/$ for coaches)..

let's hope thorr and dooley have been working on an actionable plan that has meat on it that they can present to hurley

it's not as if the writing hasn't been on the wall
2 x
JakeLevin477
Jim Eitner

Unread post by JakeLevin477 »

Blog post I put together on what's at stake for Hurley, the Rams, UConn and Pitt

http://barnesroadtavern.blogspot.com/20 ... where.html
Last edited by JakeLevin477 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Gonebarongone wrote:Anything that is being reported now is only for A. to maintain leverage or B. to maintain appearance. No one knows a bleeping thing. These guys (reporters) trade access for occasionally being a mouthpiece. Is Hurley trying to strong arm Rhody for cash, facilities, staff comp, etc. or has he pretty much made up his mind and wants a graceful exit even if he genuinely is giving URI one more shot? I mean...I will keep refreshing this and twitter but reading the tea leaves is a sucker's play.
While I agree with this take I think “strong arm” is too harsh. Using leverage is a standard part of negotiating.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

ditt5o, "strong arm" would not adequately describe Hurley's approach.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The problem is we f%#ked up last year. Last year's contract didn't include real enhancements or guarantees. It just upped money a little bit, and that was only because friggin DUQUESNE started to invest in their program and made our offer look bad by comparison.

Again, this is much more on us than it is on Dan. He wants to be here. He wants to lead a winning program. He understands what it takes to win in this business because he knows all of the people who are winning in this business. Dan isn't inventing some new road map or going to uncharted waters. He's following what every other successful program in college basketball is doing.

URI (and our fan base) have been so backwards in this department for so many years that we literally wouldn't know what that plan looked like if it came up and put an inner tube over our heads. Then, when faced with the realities of what it takes, people here fall back on how things used to be done and Lamar Odom and I buy tickets and show up that's my support and yada yada yada.

I have faith that we can get it done this year because UConn is the first real threat to taking Dan away - and Thorr/Dooley are smart enough to realize that we are on the precipice of either a long fall down, or sustained success at a level this program has never experienced over the next few years.

Once again, if we don't, it means that we will never be a big time program because we refuse to invest in it.

Despite all of that I still feel good.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody74 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:Anything that is being reported now is only for A. to maintain leverage or B. to maintain appearance. No one knows a bleeping thing. These guys (reporters) trade access for occasionally being a mouthpiece. Is Hurley trying to strong arm Rhody for cash, facilities, staff comp, etc. or has he pretty much made up his mind and wants a graceful exit even if he genuinely is giving URI one more shot? I mean...I will keep refreshing this and twitter but reading the tea leaves is a sucker's play.
While I agree with this take I think “strong arm” is too harsh. Using leverage is a standard part of negotiating.
Probably the wrong phrase but, well, he's got the leverage. I hope he uses it.
2 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Dan does have the negotiating leverage [if that is needed]......The University wants him to stay. He wants to stay........Can or will The University be able to meet Dan's expectations. Heck, this will be the fifth contract in seven years......Both parties need to make a real commitment to put this annual saga permanently behind us.
2 x
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

Perhaps the most accurate post ever on this board. Thank you.

Blue Man wrote:The problem is we f%#ked up last year. Last year's contract didn't include real enhancements or guarantees. It just upped money a little bit, and that was only because friggin DUQUESNE started to invest in their program and made our offer look bad by comparison.

Again, this is much more on us than it is on Dan. He wants to be here. He wants to lead a winning program. He understands what it takes to win in this business because he knows all of the people who are winning in this business. Dan isn't inventing some new road map or going to uncharted waters. He's following what every other successful program in college basketball is doing.

URI (and our fan base) have been so backwards in this department for so many years that we literally wouldn't know what that plan looked like if it came up and put an inner tube over our heads. Then, when faced with the realities of what it takes, people here fall back on how things used to be done and Lamar Odom and I buy tickets and show up that's my support and yada yada yada.

I have faith that we can get it done this year because UConn is the first real threat to taking Dan away - and Thorr/Dooley are smart enough to realize that we are on the precipice of either a long fall down, or sustained success at a level this program has never experienced over the next few years.

Once again, if we don't, it means that we will never be a big time program because we refuse to invest in it.

1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Just donated too. Keep the train moving!
3 x
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If the past is any indication, going back 20 years, we'll likely get an answer before 1pm today what is going on.

Make no mistake, if they get him to stay, it's huge. Every bit as huge as NCAA victories in the first round the past two seasons. I hate to say that, not knowing the outcome, with the decision so close, but that's the truth. And it's because it's been built up as a verdict on the future of this program.

He stays, and today is the biggest day in the history of this program, until something else comes down the pike one day to take that title away.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Gonebarongone wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
Probably the wrong phrase but, well, he's got the leverage. I hope he uses it.
Every year he's used it to the advantage of our program. Where we're apart (URI and Dan) isn't on salary. It's on program investments - his coaches pool for assistants, charter flights, a practice facility.

If it were salary alone he'd have already signed at Pitt. If more money for his salary mattered and he could find a way to win in a few years, he'd have already signed at UConn.

Dan knows going in that he will never make UConn, Pitt, or P5 money at URI. That isn't why he stays here.

It obviously is an afterthought for him. Dan is a good enough coach that he can win at any program he goes to. He knows that. URI can offer him something those other jobs can't, obviously, or he wouldn't still be at the table.

We still need to agree to match his needs for investments so that he can take this program as far as it can go. We haven't reached our ceiling yet in terms of success, today will tell us a lot about if we will ever reach that ceiling at all.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

There has to be a concrete, long term plan developed. No more adding one little improvement every time we are forced to.
Build a roadmap of what will happen, and when: Short term (year 0-3), mid term (years 3-7) and long term (years 7-10) plans.
Make success on the court a stipulation for this to happen so that the staff has a hand in its own success.
If agreed upon, then Dan should waive his right to opt out every year (maybe give him that option every three years instead of 'whenever').
Give and take.
This needs to be viewed as a long term partnership reflected in a bi-lateral, binding contract.
5 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

whether it is today or this week, do you think this will be the final answer for this year ?

like.. i hope in a week or 2 or 3 some other teams don't come into the mix coming after him

as fans, i hope for finality on a decision this week

too much AGITA for me to take

PLEASE STAY HURLEY
PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN URI
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ElmCityRhody wrote:whether it is today or this week, do you think this will be the final answer for this year ?

like.. i hope in a week or 2 or 3 some other teams don't come into the mix coming after him

as fans, i hope for finality on a decision this week

too much AGITA for me to take

PLEASE STAY HURLEY
PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN URI
Would be for the year. An extension announcement is the only way these rumors get quelled and he isn't going to reneg that in a few weeks.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I remember as a lot of you do, the situation back in 1998. The Harrick flip flop is relevant here. When he took the Georgia job, gave them a verbal commitment, but then it was reported that he was having cold feet, second thoughts... it was a: well, I don't know, these guys were good to me, they gave me my second chance, I like it here, I don't know what to do.

That was huge, because it said that while we could not compete with the divide between Georgia and Rhode Island 20 years ago, we had an "X" factor, that had value.

That's the same "X" factor that is at play here today. And we've had all sorts of improvements since then: new Arena, infrastructure, money, salary, you name it, that has closed that divide. But, if we can get Hurley to value that "X" factor, and not jump ship to Connecticut, it doesn't necessary mean that we are on an even playing field as UConn, no one is saying that. However, it means that this job has plenty of value beyond mere dollars and cents and that can help us realize the goal of one day being on a level playing field as some of these regional teams, as we were many years ago.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:The problem is we f%#ked up last year. Last year's contract didn't include real enhancements or guarantees. It just upped money a little bit, and that was only because friggin DUQUESNE started to invest in their program and made our offer look bad by comparison.

While I feel you on this and we are usually in lock step, I think the bolded is slightly overstated. Plenty of programs have lost a coach to another program with more resources and went on to be good. Refusing to invest and being unable to invest to the exact specifications of one coach are not the same thing. If Hurley wants [100] and we can give [95] but that is where we absolutely max out and there is no way to get the rest of the way there, if they make a good next move then the next guy can work with that [95] (all of which would represent new spending and improvements that haven't previously existed) then you can continue to grow and have success.

We are in agreement that the commitment from the university has to be there right now. They have to be willing to sell out to keep this going. If they commit to that and it still isn't enough, for whatever reason, then they don't respond by shuttering the program. You go find the person who can do the most with what you do have. If it's more than what we've been doing, then theoretically the past few years are the floor going forward (in practice I know that isn't going to be true - there will be less successful seasons on occasion no matter who the coach is).

I think I'm with everyone who says this is a key inflection point for the program and they have to channel all of the resources at their disposal to try to retain Dan, but where I depart with you guys is that if that isn't enough to keep Dan, it may well be enough to get the next Dan in here and keep it rolling. That was always sold as one of the benefits of what Dan has done here with respect to the budget and everything, anyways. No doubt you're better off sticking with the guy who has already done it before, but if you're forced to move on, this is a good job now and whoever comes here should come with expectation that the program is still in its ascent.
6 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

GolocalProv is a electronic version of a tabloid and has bias against URI, so take this for what it's worth. They are saying Dan's meeting with Thorr is not to negotiate, but to tell him he is leaving.

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/repor ... aching-job
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Please don’t click on GoLocalProv.
10 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ATPTourFan wrote:Please don’t click on GoLocalProv.
seriously, they make Hearst Media of CT look legit by comparison
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Not for nothing, but regardless of what happens today, why would he go to meet Thorr to tell him he's leaving? I'm not shooing the messenger, Obi, I'm just saying, of everything we know about Dan, that doesn't add up. He's not even going to try to negotiate, for improvements, even just for the sake of the program itself?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Please don’t click on GoLocalProv.
seriously, they make Hearst Media of CT look legit by comparison
That last paragraph alone should’ve been enough for you to not even share that phony report.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Seems like this much news about the meeting would be unnecessary for a goodbye.
0 x
GO RAMS
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Just donated again. I did a couple weeks ago, but figured now was good timing to double down on the contribution. By choosing to break out your contribution into a monthly payment it becomes much more doable. Just something to think about if you're looking to make a larger donation.

Does anyone know if there equal value to the program in contributing $1000 over a 6 month or 12 month period compared to 1 lump sum?
3 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

There is a much larger conversation to be had about reporting and news in 2018 but I just can't believe we are at a spot where someone publishes this stuff. There just is no longer any consequences to being wrong only consequences to being late about a story. Really disgusts me.
5 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I just have a vision of Calhoun saying the "safe word" to Dan, and now he's like one of the Jason Bourne robots that can't even be civil, he's going to march up to Thorr's office and lower the boom, cold hearted.

Better yet, he's Anakin Skywalker, and one moment he was Obi-Wan's best mate, but after seeing the emperor shoot a few lightning bolts out of his hands, now he's off to go slay a couple of dozen younglings.

That is not Dan, c'mon
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Alright I'll weigh in here.

To me this situation is not hard to understand at all. He wants to stay at URI.

He also wants to make sure the program is willing to grow the way that it should. He is looking for more commitment to program enhancements. If Thorr and Dooley can't deliver, then he is moving on to a program that IS willing to make these commitments. To reach the next level this is what we need. He doesn't want stagnation and I don't blame him.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I highly recommend blocking GoLocalProv on all social media.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote:

While I feel you on this and we are usually in lock step, I think the bolded is slightly overstated. Plenty of programs have lost a coach to another program with more resources and went on to be good. Refusing to invest and being unable to invest to the exact specifications of one coach are not the same thing. If Hurley wants [100] and we can give [95] but that is where we absolutely max out and there is no way to get the rest of the way there, if they make a good next move then the next guy can work with that [95] (all of which would represent new spending and improvements that haven't previously existed) then you can continue to grow and have success.

We are in agreement that the commitment from the university has to be there right now. They have to be willing to sell out to keep this going. If they commit to that and it still isn't enough, for whatever reason, then they don't respond by shuttering the program. You go find the person who can do the most with what you do have. If it's more than what we've been doing, then theoretically the past few years are the floor going forward (in practice I know that isn't going to be true - there will be less successful seasons on occasion no matter who the coach is).

I think I'm with everyone who says this is a key inflection point for the program and they have to channel all of the resources at their disposal to try to retain Dan, but where I depart with you guys is that if that isn't enough to keep Dan, it may well be enough to get the next Dan in here and keep it rolling. That was always sold as one of the benefits of what Dan has done here with respect to the budget and everything, anyways. No doubt you're better off sticking with the guy who has already done it before, but if you're forced to move on, this is a good job now and whoever comes here should come with expectation that the program is still in its ascent.
I agree with you that hiring the next coach is critical for a program to sustain success (Xavier, VCU as examples) but my larger point is that if we can't meet what Dan needs now, eventually the next hire we make will want that, and then leave. Very rarely do you get a Xavier thing to happen where you absolutely nail 3 coaches in a row. If we hire the next coach with a ceiling on our investments, we're just counting down to when that coach leaves in a few years.

I don't think anyone is overstating the importance of today. It's a watershed moment for this program. We are either a big time program or a stepping-stone. Today will tell what that is going to be.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Keaney_Blue
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Keaney_Blue »

Based on the last 3 years, I think I'm going to start taking this week off of work. All I do is read posts on the blog, twitter, and sweep the web. I go from anxious to doubtful, and then to hopeful all in the same hour! Let's hope we can get this done and move forward!! At least for another year. I'm counting on the same results as the previous two years, more Hurley!
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

spot on blue man, spot on.

time to get it done and be a big-time program

failure today and we are a stepping-stone

it is as simple as that.

hurley is truly the right coach for us at this time.
2 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

Obadiah wrote:GolocalProv is a electronic version of a tabloid and has bias against URI, so take this for what it's worth. They are saying Dan's meeting with Thorr is not to negotiate, but to tell him he is leaving.

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/repor ... aching-job
I never got that feeling. Also, they merely repackage content that is already out there for the most part, so they are picking some source to run with. I just don't put much weight behind anything they might post.
0 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

Just want to state, while of course I will be gutted if DH leaves after this season, I will be gutted and damned to an eternity in hell if he goes to Uconn. And will really lose some respect for him. That is based on my own personal disdain of UConn (BTW, I grew up in CT, and a fan of the early Calhoun years), but no reasoning will change that. If he were to head to Lousville this year, I would still have all the respect in the world for him. There are so many angles as to why I can't fathom UConn being a good move for him, that it will have been in large part due to money going into his bank account, and I will have to root against him. Just about any other school outside the A10, PC, and Uconn, and he has a fan for life (as my 2nd team to root for). Uconn ....fuggetaboutit.
2 x
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

With students organizing marches nationwide, there should be a local march at URI in support of our coach today! Get the word out there on campus and get as many people gathered in support for this great program! We can do this!!!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Look, I love URI basketball and hope Hurley stays, but they've been marching for an important issue like not getting shot in the head for going to school.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
I agree with you that hiring the next coach is critical for a program to sustain success (Xavier, VCU as examples) but my larger point is that if we can't meet what Dan needs now, eventually the next hire we make will want that, and then leave. Very rarely do you get a Xavier thing to happen where you absolutely nail 3 coaches in a row. If we hire the next coach with a ceiling on our investments, we're just counting down to when that coach leaves in a few years.

I don't think anyone is overstating the importance of today. It's a watershed moment for this program. We are either a big time program or a stepping-stone. Today will tell what that is going to be.
I get that, but if we're aren't able to do exactly what Dan asks for today (and I admit I don't know with any degree of specificity what that is, although I think we all have an idea), that doesn't foreclose our being able to do something similar in two years. It also doesn't account for the fact that doing 95% of it might not be enough to keep Dan, but it could still allow the program to keep improving. I guess my point is that if Dan decides that he wants more right now than URI can give him, that's Dan's decision but I'm not going to turn on Thorr and Dr. Dooley -- unless it comes out that they told him to go pound sand, refused to make any commitments to upgrading the program and offer the job to a retread coach for $450K. I just don't see that as being very likely. It isn't black and white to me that if Dan leaves then the school screwed up and we are eternally fucked and we might as well just give up now.

And just to repeat myself: I absolutely want and expect our university and athletic department to empty their pockets and tap every source of support they can think of, smash their piggy banks, turn their couches inside out trying to meet what Hurley is asking for. He is priority 1A with a bullet, and there should be nothing left on the table in trying to retain his services. I'm just saying, if all that fails, I'm not going to get my Eyore on with the "same old URI, woe is us" thing or the self-flagellating thing. If it's not enough for Hurley today, it doesn't mean it isn't enough for some other up and coming coach to keep URI at or near the top of the A10, in the tournament and a good matchup away from the second weekend.
2 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

I'd love to see a graphic of some sort that depicts the Top 10 highest traffic days on this site. Hurley's probably responsible for 3-4 of them.
2 x